Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

‘Better Call Saul’ Season 4 Thread

The journey of Jimmy’s transformation to Saul Goodman begins anew Monday at 9pm on AMC.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 219October 23, 2018 5:53 PM

I thought the first episode of the season was very solid and set in place all the different storylines. Can't wait to see how the Lydia storyline develops. One thing I wasn't sure of, though -- is there technology that enables someone to track an empty bill bottle that's thrown into a river?

by Anonymousreply 1August 7, 2018 12:40 PM

The writing and acting are among the best on television.

by Anonymousreply 2August 7, 2018 1:20 PM

[quote]is there technology that enables someone to track an empty bill bottle that's thrown into a river?

No, there isn't. If you're referring to the tracker that Victor was using, it was on Nacho's car, like the one on Mike's car last year.

by Anonymousreply 3August 7, 2018 2:06 PM

Hey thanks, R3. I thought Victor was just following Nacho the good ole-fashioned way and didn't realize the tracker was for Nacho's car.

by Anonymousreply 4August 7, 2018 2:22 PM

Best show on television.

by Anonymousreply 5August 7, 2018 3:03 PM

I agree, I think this is the best currently airing. The writing and acting are just so top notch.

The problem is it isn't the most "entertaining" or flashy show, so it just doesn't attract a big audience and cultural cache.

by Anonymousreply 6August 7, 2018 4:23 PM

An unpopular opinion: I don't really care all that much about Mike and the rest of the drug trade characters from "Breaking Bad." I'm far more interested in Jimmy, Kim, and Chuck, who's now gone.

by Anonymousreply 7August 7, 2018 5:14 PM

I'm with you, r7. For me, the relationship between Jimmy and Chuck was fascinating, and I'm really curious how Season 4 will develop without that dynamic.

by Anonymousreply 8August 7, 2018 5:49 PM

The dynamic between Chuck and Jimmy was great, but all good things have to come to an end.

You have to have these things that push Jimmy to truly become the Saul we meet in Breaking Bad, he still isn't there.

by Anonymousreply 9August 7, 2018 5:53 PM

Michael McKean as Chuck was one of the best performances I have seen on TV in ages. He deserved an Emmy.

by Anonymousreply 10August 7, 2018 6:01 PM

Yep and he wasn't even nominated r10, it was a horrendous snub.

by Anonymousreply 11August 7, 2018 6:03 PM

[quote]Michael McKean as Chuck was one of the best performances I have seen on TV in ages. He deserved an Emmy.

Funny to think that he once played Lenny on Laverne & Shirley.

by Anonymousreply 12August 7, 2018 6:33 PM

Love this show, but I'm going to be so sad when Kim departs. Love what Rhea Seehorn is doing.

by Anonymousreply 13August 8, 2018 12:53 PM

Best show on TV now.

by Anonymousreply 14August 8, 2018 1:47 PM

I felt sorry for Howard.

by Anonymousreply 15August 8, 2018 2:38 PM

[QUOTE]Michael McKean as Chuck was one of the best performances I have seen on TV in ages. He deserved an Emmy.

[QUOTE]Yep and he wasn't even nominated

What a disgrace.

by Anonymousreply 16August 8, 2018 4:27 PM

R15, I, too, felt sorry for Howard. And this is what I love about Better Call Saul -- the characters have all these different dimensions. Howard could have been portrayed as your typical corporate douchebag, but on BCS you get to see his humanity and better qualities as well.

by Anonymousreply 17August 8, 2018 5:16 PM

Odenkirk is a fucking GENIUS. That speech he gave to the Neff Copier guys was masterful.

All the acting and writing on this show is TERRIFIC.

by Anonymousreply 18August 14, 2018 2:53 AM

R18 and Gus pulled on the zip ties. Who else writes stuff like this?

"Look at me". A harbinger of things to come...

by Anonymousreply 19August 14, 2018 2:58 AM

So depressing. But I'm hooked again.

by Anonymousreply 20August 14, 2018 5:10 AM

What was up with him in the copy salesman job interview? Did he do all that to steal those little figurines or something?

by Anonymousreply 21August 14, 2018 5:13 AM

I was half paying attention when all of the guys were n the hospital with Salamance. Why did the twins look at Nacho after he spoke?

by Anonymousreply 22August 14, 2018 5:15 AM

Salamanca*

by Anonymousreply 23August 14, 2018 5:16 AM

That Hummel was like a trigger for "Slippin' Jimmy" to re-emerge. "Slippin' Jimmy" has always been his way to solve problems and deal with pain, especially the pain of never measuring up to his "perfect" older brother Chuck. Jimmy idolized Chuck, took care of him, and Chuck's cruel last words to him were "you never really mattered that much to me." Chuck's death was a turning point that rendered him virtually speechless.

When he saw that Hummel, it reminded him of his days in "elder law", when his patient courting of those elderly nursing home residents netted him a quick pathway to legal success with that big lawsuit, the job with Ed Begley's firm, etc. And it still wasn't enough for Chuck, and didn't make Jimmy happy - the only thing that truly makes him happy is Kim - so he deliberately screwed up to get out of there.

He gave that speech to the Neff guys to prove to himself that he still had the ability to convince anybody of anything (like the phony "inheritance" scam he and Kim pulled on that guy in that ritzy hotel bar). He didn't even want the job ("What are you, crazy?!" he tells them, when they offer it to him). But what he does see is a quick way to run a Slippin' Jimmy scam with those Hummels and pick up some cash along the way.

I absolutely love this show, but here are my chief concerns: KIM!! We already know that they don't end up happily together. She loves Jimmy, and has already sustained professional and physical injury due to his actions. We have seen her breaking point before when Jimmy bends the law. But out of love for Jimmy, she turns up at Howard's office to spare him from Chuck's final cruelty of the $5K check and then wisely hides it and the letter from him.

What will happen to Kim eventually?!! And what's in that "personal" letter from Chuck?!! Thankfully, I trust that Vince Gilligan is a fucking genius and will reveal all this in time as he pulls all the threads of this great show together.

by Anonymousreply 24August 14, 2018 2:31 PM

R21 also if I recall correctly Jimmy had learned Hummels have some value from the little old lady who helped him get the elder law case off the ground. So he saw them, heard the guy say he wanted to get rid of all that junk, and put 2&2 together for a quick way to raise some needed cash. A small score that Mike will never go for

by Anonymousreply 25August 14, 2018 2:50 PM

I'm with you, R24. I absolutely love the show but I am dreading the inevitable breakup between Jimmy and Kim. You just know it's going to be devastating, resulting in Jimmy's final transformation into Saul. Do we know if this might be the last season, or did it already get renewed for season 5?

by Anonymousreply 26August 14, 2018 2:53 PM

It's been renewed.

by Anonymousreply 27August 14, 2018 2:57 PM

Excellent, R27!

by Anonymousreply 28August 14, 2018 3:01 PM

Did Kim hide the check & the note for good? I couldn't tell what was going to happen there. Jimmy must know his brother left him something. She can throw the note out though, but you'd think he would expect to see a check.

Side note - is it really true that's the way to "disinherit" someone without leaving them a way to contest the will? That was interesting. I just googled & saw a few references that say it is one possible way to do it (though I can't see how it would be foolproof given it is a "known" trick) Chuck was written so well - such an ass.

Thanks for the explanation on the Hummels. I couldn't figure out that scene at all.

by Anonymousreply 29August 15, 2018 1:41 AM

I'm loving this show so much but I do find myself getting a bit confused, maybe because I don't remember all the Breaking Bad plot points well enough. Madrigal is laundering Gus's and Mike's money, right? Is it also involved in the business of making meth? I'm also not quite following Gus's relationship with Don Hector. Gus wants him dead, right? So why did Gus bring in the doctor from Johns Hopkins? Or am I totally missing something?

by Anonymousreply 30August 15, 2018 5:18 PM

Madrigal is working with Gus, but it's not clear what involvement they have (if any) in making meth before Walt comes along. Gus brought in the JH doctor to keep Hector alive because Gus wants him to die in a time and manner of his own choosing. “I decide what he deserves", as Gus stated.

by Anonymousreply 31August 15, 2018 5:24 PM

I couldn't keep watching, because his relationship with that girl made zero sense to me. What were they to each other? It seemed to shift week to week.

by Anonymousreply 32August 15, 2018 5:31 PM

Am I the only one who gets the sense that there is something sinister about Mike's daughter in law? I know his main motivation is to make money for the granddaughter, but there is just something about that daughter in law I have always found a tad suspicious.

by Anonymousreply 33August 16, 2018 2:00 AM

The non-Jimmy/Saul plotlines are much harder to follow. I think it's partly because they just aren't as interesting.

by Anonymousreply 34August 16, 2018 2:14 AM

Agreed R33. There's just something a little off about her demeanor.

by Anonymousreply 35August 16, 2018 1:48 PM

Whatever her motives r35, I imagine we will find out more about her in the story of Saul after his days at Cinnabon are finished.

by Anonymousreply 36August 16, 2018 5:26 PM

[quote] A small score that Mike will never go for

I read Mike's decision a little differently. It wasn't the size of the score that mattered. He asked Saul what these people had done to him, and Saul couldn't articulate any reason for the theft besides profit. At this point Mike in his own way still believes in justice and these people weren't proper targets. Gus hasn't yet totally corrupted him.

by Anonymousreply 37August 21, 2018 10:12 AM

Why was Kim acting odd when she saw the models?

by Anonymousreply 38August 21, 2018 12:05 PM

I think she was becoming overwhelmed at the scale of what she was getting into.

by Anonymousreply 39August 21, 2018 2:06 PM

R7

I'm the exact opposite. Mike has always been my favorite character on BB & BCS.

I just love him & the actor who plays him.

by Anonymousreply 40August 21, 2018 5:04 PM

Thanks R39. I thought she felt they were moving too fast, but what you wrote makes more sense.

by Anonymousreply 41August 21, 2018 5:45 PM

Kim's reaction to Jimmy when she gave him the $5K and the letter from Chuck was interesting. I think she is beginning to realize that Jimmy is closed off and is not interested in becoming a better lawyer, much less a better person. And I think it's making her realize that she is going to have to move on.

by Anonymousreply 42August 21, 2018 6:27 PM

I thought Kim's role was just legal/advisory? And now the bank wants to take over the country? I missed something. The gaps between the seasons are so long I forgot what she was doing.

by Anonymousreply 43August 22, 2018 12:12 AM

[quote] At this point Mike in his own way still believes in justice and these people weren't proper targets. Gus hasn't yet totally corrupted him.

Having had a few hours to reflect on that remark, I now lay down my prediction Mike will murder Kim for Gus. That will be when Mike totally irredeemably breaks bad.

by Anonymousreply 44August 22, 2018 2:36 AM

I think Kim wrote that letter from Chuck because the original Chuck wrote would’ve hurt Jimmy too much.

by Anonymousreply 45August 22, 2018 6:26 AM

Nice theory, R45. I'll bet you're right.

by Anonymousreply 46August 22, 2018 4:49 PM

I have crush on the actress that plays Kim. There is something so strong and sexy about her.

by Anonymousreply 47August 25, 2018 5:25 AM

flabbergasted how this thing stays on the air

zzzzzz

by Anonymousreply 48August 25, 2018 5:43 AM

Why is Gus trying to keep Hector alive?

by Anonymousreply 49August 25, 2018 5:45 AM

Because as Gus himself said, he wants to be the one who decides when and how Hector dies.

by Anonymousreply 50August 25, 2018 7:55 AM

Kim pings just a bit.

by Anonymousreply 51August 25, 2018 3:59 PM

Total lez.

by Anonymousreply 52August 25, 2018 7:44 PM

[quote]Because as Gus himself said, he wants to be the one who decides when and how Hector dies.

Does this qualify as irony?

by Anonymousreply 53August 27, 2018 11:35 AM

One of the treats of a prequel is lots of opportunities for irony.

I’m simultaneously rewatching BB. So many things I didn’t notice the first time.

by Anonymousreply 54August 27, 2018 4:31 PM

What happened last night? We had a thunderstorm and my power went out and I missed the episode.

by Anonymousreply 55August 28, 2018 11:21 PM

Before asking for a recap check if your cable allows you to watch it On Demand. The episode ending was pure Saul, and the Cousins had a magnificent scene.

by Anonymousreply 56August 28, 2018 11:36 PM

I’m a huge fan of B.B. and loved Better Call Saul.

But for some reason I’ve lost interest. I’ve recorded all the new episodes,but they go I watched.

by Anonymousreply 57August 28, 2018 11:39 PM

Me too, R54. Loving it more the second time.

by Anonymousreply 58August 28, 2018 11:54 PM

What was with the lying guy in group meetings? What was the group? Death/Grieving Support Group?

Did hot Latino guy try to set up the Salamanca brothers in a later shootout so they would get killed? Why did they just go ahead and kill everyone? Was he trying to shoot the brothers?

How many more stupid jobs will Jimmy slip in and ut of before he becomes 'Saul?' How much longer will they drag all this out?

by Anonymousreply 59August 29, 2018 3:36 AM

I'm not feeling this season as much as the previous ones. Too meandering and focused on the Mexican drug wars.

by Anonymousreply 60August 29, 2018 3:39 AM

Yeah, they do nothing but stand around menacingly and shoot each other. We know who's going to die; anyone who wasn't in 'Breaking Bad.'

by Anonymousreply 61August 29, 2018 3:43 AM

I love this show, but there sometimes is a lack of suspense (especially in a big gun battle like in this week’s episode) because we know who is going to die or not based on whether they survived to Breaking Bad.

by Anonymousreply 62August 30, 2018 11:52 AM

Things should get more interesting in the next episode. Critic Alan Sepinwall says it will be "a humdinger."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63August 30, 2018 7:04 PM

I miss Jimmy's brother, I realize they had him die to progress Jimmy into Saul but I enjoyed last season more with him in it.

by Anonymousreply 64August 31, 2018 2:16 AM

He was a great actor. The character was written so well... people hated Chuck so much. It was so random they gave him that electromagnetic sensitivity disorder. I never heard of it in my life - and then recently I just watched this show on Netflix (Afflicted) with people who actually have it (or think they have it - whatever is going on with them.)

by Anonymousreply 65August 31, 2018 2:26 AM

I loved Michael McKean's acting. It was so great to see him in a serious role. Chuck was fascinating.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66August 31, 2018 6:51 AM

I loved/hated Chuck because Jimmy genuinely cared about him, taking care of him and advocating for him with regards to his mental or physical issues but Chuck still saw Jimmy as his ne'er-do-well little brother.

Clearly the only way Jimmy could have made Chuck proud was to remain in the mail room as an underling dependent on Chuck's generosity.

Some older brothers just don't like seeing their kid brothers grow up and change and will forever see them as the loser they were in their younger years.

It hit close to home for me because their relationship was like the one I had with my older brother.

by Anonymousreply 67August 31, 2018 10:22 PM

The Chuck character was a stroke of genius from Vince Gilligan, who writes this show - the perfect device to show where Jimmy came from and who he became. And brought to life by McKean's FLAWLESS performance. Chuck was fascinating.

Wherever this show goes or ends up, that performance was one of the best things in it.

by Anonymousreply 68August 31, 2018 10:35 PM

Jimmy is more of a secondary character in this season - not sure I quite understand the logic behind it.

by Anonymousreply 69August 31, 2018 10:38 PM

I’m bored with that drug cartel scenes (though, I do realize that the whole story behind Saul)

breaking bad did the drug angle perfect. I think BCS could have taken a different approach.

Loved the Michael McKean’s role.

by Anonymousreply 70August 31, 2018 10:41 PM

I really like BCS but they need to be careful because the characters are starting to look older than when they were in Breaking Bad, especially Mike.

by Anonymousreply 71August 31, 2018 10:50 PM

I don't care much for the drug cartel stuff either and I was a big BB fan

by Anonymousreply 72August 31, 2018 10:56 PM

How do we know Kim wasn’t there the whole time? Just because they didn’t show her on Breaking Bad didn’t mean she didn’t exist.

by Anonymousreply 73August 31, 2018 11:04 PM

Starting to look older? They have all looked older from day 1–especially Fring. One must just suspend critical thought in this regard.

by Anonymousreply 74August 31, 2018 11:12 PM

The Kaylie character is beyond ridiculous. Whoever did the casting should be fired. The child actor that plays Kaylie looks about 5 years older than from Breaking Bad.

That is one thing that should have been easy to get right.

by Anonymousreply 75August 31, 2018 11:24 PM

I remember Saul hitting on his secretary on BB so I assumed Kim gets turned off by "Saul" and leaves him. It will be sad to see.

by Anonymousreply 76August 31, 2018 11:51 PM

Could someone explain to me what the deal was with Kim sitting in on the court cases? That whole sextion confused me.

by Anonymousreply 77September 1, 2018 2:27 AM

I thought she was trolling for work.

by Anonymousreply 78September 1, 2018 2:38 AM

[quote] Kim sitting in on the court cases?

Looking at the models for the empire of banks she seemed aghast. I took this to mean she felt an urge to get back into the trenches to feel like a lawyer again. and btw no judge I've ever encountered had any problem with an attorney coming into their court just to watch.

by Anonymousreply 79September 1, 2018 2:59 AM

As I recall, the judge had no issues with her being there, but he warned her that it wasn't going to do her any good.

by Anonymousreply 80September 1, 2018 3:31 AM

[quote]That whole sextion

Pics please.

by Anonymousreply 81September 4, 2018 11:37 AM

I didn’t think this week’s show was much of a “humdinger,” as promised by that TV critic. More of the same, I would say.

by Anonymousreply 82September 5, 2018 12:54 AM

Yeah, it was a good episode, but I'm not seeing how it was a hoo-boy humdinger!

by Anonymousreply 83September 5, 2018 3:20 AM

Two episodes left.

by Anonymousreply 84September 5, 2018 3:27 AM

I did like Saul at the beginning with his secretary.

Also enjoyed Jimmy hawking cell phones.

The Mike/Mexican Cartel stuff drags for me.

by Anonymousreply 85September 5, 2018 3:35 AM

There are five episodes left this season. It's a 10 episode season.

by Anonymousreply 86September 5, 2018 4:40 AM

Tiresome but engaging. The abandoned laundromat was spooky to see in its 'before' condition.

by Anonymousreply 87September 5, 2018 6:14 AM

They waste a lot of time on minor / mundane things... does anyone care how the laundromat basement came to be? With such a short season, they devoted a third of the episode to hiring the architect to dig the lab out of the ground. If there was a faux documentary on Breaking Bad, that would've been interesting to see, but it seemed like a waste of time, among a few other plot diversions. "Meeting" Gale for the first time was interesting, though, but mostly because we know him already & what happens to him.

by Anonymousreply 88September 5, 2018 11:00 AM

I hate to say it, but I'm starting to lose interest in this show. The transition to Saul is happening SO slowly. Mike's mundane activities are getting kind of old, as is Gus showing up for a minute or two per episode to menace someone. Still love Kim. She's my favorite character on the show, but even her story is dragging.

by Anonymousreply 89September 5, 2018 7:02 PM

I agree about the lack of humdingerness.

by Anonymousreply 90September 5, 2018 7:37 PM

[quote] I hate to say it, but I'm starting to lose interest in this show. The transition to Saul is happening SO slowly. Mike's mundane activities are getting kind of old, as is Gus showing up for a minute or two per episode to menace someone. Still love Kim. She's my favorite character on the show, but even her story is dragging.

I found my attention drifting away while watching this season's episodes which was decidedly not the case in S1-S3. I am wondering if Michael McKean's departure was unplanned and that it interfered with the plot development for this season so they had to improvise. A number of current storylines just feel pointless, simply there to pad the running time.

by Anonymousreply 91September 6, 2018 12:41 AM

The office shredding scene and money in the wall grab was an odd jump forward to nearly an actual scene from 'Breaking Bad,' completely unexplained and not contextualized.

by Anonymousreply 92September 6, 2018 6:14 AM

[quote] completely unexplained and not contextualized.

True, but that could be said as well of the prior Cinnabon scenes. The viewers understood, just as they knew the significance of the laundromat.

by Anonymousreply 93September 6, 2018 6:22 AM

I think we need to be patient. They are building the story line and the season will come together towards the last episodes.

by Anonymousreply 94September 6, 2018 6:37 AM

Considering the real-time alternative options for TV watching include the Orange County bores and a new season of Monday Night Football, it seems sticking it out with BCS is the smart option.

I like this season and the writing too. And I agree with R94--its building towards something

by Anonymousreply 95September 10, 2018 4:48 PM

Great show but a little slow this season. I miss Chuck.

by Anonymousreply 96September 10, 2018 4:54 PM

I found myself surfing the net tonight while the show wasted so much time on boring shit. Why do the scenes play out like molasses in January? We get the gist. For instance, why did we have to watch Jimmy taking every damn cell phone into the nail salon? One or two stacks, ok. But all of them? I love the show but I’m not sure I can go much further with it. Nothing ever happens.

by Anonymousreply 97September 11, 2018 4:42 AM

Yeah they've squandered the limited time they had doing a lot of things that didn't further the plot or the character development. Breaking Bad was incredibly tight. There were so few scenes that didn't add to the show. I paused it 5 times doing other things. It just wasn't interesting. Also, I was hoping he'd get the money back from the kids ... or at least beat them with the bat once or twice.

by Anonymousreply 98September 11, 2018 4:49 AM

In the preview for next week he’s called Saul Goodman for the first time. So that’s promising. And I loved the pinata scene.

by Anonymousreply 99September 12, 2018 12:27 AM

Pinata revenge on those dirty punks! Sweet.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 100September 12, 2018 12:31 AM

What I'm looking forward to is seeing how the relationship between Kim and Jimmy ends. Is she around when he becomes Saul?

by Anonymousreply 101September 12, 2018 12:33 AM

Yay, Michael McKean's no longer a regular, that'll help season 4. Pompous dickhead man.

by Anonymousreply 102September 12, 2018 12:36 AM

R102 = Squiggy.

Poor bastard can't get work.

by Anonymousreply 103September 12, 2018 12:38 AM

Kim pulled away this episode. She saw the doodling Jimmy was doing about the law firm he wanted with Kim and she purposely went to the other firm to get out on her own. Jimmy had the panic attack because he knows he is gong to lose her when she starts moving up and socializing with other people. When Kim leaves him he can go full Saul.

by Anonymousreply 104September 12, 2018 6:18 AM

I am over Gus and Mike. If I knew Mike in real life I would want to drop kick him, ornery old bastard.

by Anonymousreply 105September 12, 2018 6:20 AM

Who were the guys Jimmy used to scare the punks? A lot of effort for a relatively small problem. Who pays for all those piñatas?

by Anonymousreply 106September 12, 2018 6:24 AM

[quote]If I knew Mike in real life I would want to drop kick him, ornery old bastard.

You'd end up regretting it, assuming you actually succeeded.

by Anonymousreply 107September 12, 2018 6:28 AM

I know r107, he is tough and smart. But he bugs the crap out of me

by Anonymousreply 108September 12, 2018 6:33 AM

[quote]Kim pulled away this episode.

After Jimmy said he would not go into therapy.

by Anonymousreply 109September 12, 2018 6:35 AM

The warehouse of Germans was amusing.

by Anonymousreply 110September 12, 2018 6:35 AM

One of the Germans was hot (not Kai)

by Anonymousreply 111September 12, 2018 6:40 AM

Kai will die before it's all done, probably by the end of the season.

by Anonymousreply 112September 12, 2018 6:49 AM

I wonder if they'll kill all of them. I'm kinda surprised Kai even lasted through the episode & didn't get sent home or worse.

I am just wondering from a larger plot perspective: Why are they showing us how the lab was built? Is there going to be some big reveal in this? I can't imagine anything that interesting could go.

by Anonymousreply 113September 12, 2018 7:59 PM

[quote] Why are they showing us how the lab was built?

I'm enjoying it.

by Anonymousreply 114September 12, 2018 8:04 PM

Michael McKean is currently in previews of a play called THE TRUE at Pershing Square Signature Center, with Edie Falco and Peter Scolari. He is a wonderful actor. Married to Annette O'Toole.

I also think Kai is toast. It's just a matter of time.

by Anonymousreply 115September 12, 2018 11:08 PM

I was expecting Kai to be made into an object lesson before the episode ended. Mike knows his sort

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 116September 12, 2018 11:34 PM

"Is there going to be some big reveal in this?"

The appearance of Bryan Cranston's character? A replay of their first meeting, or even a re-use of that footage?

by Anonymousreply 117September 12, 2018 11:39 PM

I think they’re setting up Kai to figure something out related to the operation. He’s not just a simple idiot.

by Anonymousreply 118September 13, 2018 12:12 AM

this is my absolute favorite show!!

by Anonymousreply 119September 13, 2018 12:35 AM

The piñata scene was great, I agree. When Jimmy was moving the boxes of phones into the back of the nail salon, (Hi, Ms Nguyen!) I loved the perspective from beside the aquarium with those pretty fish swimming in different configurations.

by Anonymousreply 120September 13, 2018 1:56 AM

Aquariums seem to be a kind of symbol in this show.

by Anonymousreply 121September 13, 2018 2:39 AM

Did anyone think it was kind of shitty that Kim dumped Jimmy to go work at that law firm after everything he did for her to get a Mesa Verde?

by Anonymousreply 122September 13, 2018 2:46 AM

Not at all. Kim may love Jimmy, but she seems to be slowly realizing that he is costing her more than he's actually worth.

by Anonymousreply 123September 13, 2018 2:52 AM

Love the show but this season has been disappointing thus far.

by Anonymousreply 124September 13, 2018 3:18 AM

Who were the guys who helped J in the piñata scene?

by Anonymousreply 125September 13, 2018 5:48 AM

R122 I think Kim is realizing that loving Jimmy is emotionally futile.

I used to know a rent boy who managed to find a sugar daddy and stopped tricking. Thing is he never lost that hustler mentality.

His SD eventually got sick of having to negotiate for sex in exchange for things and money and dumped him, and he went right back on the stroll.

Jimmy's like that; no matter how he improves his life, no matter what station he achieves in life he will always be looking for the next con and Kim sees that now, especially after she watched Jimmy read the letter from Chuck.

by Anonymousreply 126September 13, 2018 12:13 PM

The black guy in the pinata scene was an actor named Lavell Crawford, who played Huell in BREAKING BAD. He was in numerous episodes as one of Saul's enforcers, but never said one word. Didn't recognize the other guy.

In some ways, I think the "You've gotta fight!" speech Jimmy gave to Howard gave us a glimpse into his true personality. Jimmy is a complete pragmatist; he has no use for therapy, as he sees what twice a week sessions have done for Howard. He was emotionally checked out at Chuck's funeral and its aftermath, not even angry at being given only $5K and unmoved by Chuck's letter. It's not that Jimmy doesn't have an emotional core - he digs out the old videotape of the old Hummel lady he used in his TV commercial - but it's only a momentary thing and he moves on quickly.

Jimmy wants to make money, but not in any traditional way - not in the Chuck/Howard way. He was never as unhappy as he was when he was with Ed Begley's firm, with the huge salary, the expensive desk, the assistant, all those perks. He got out of there fast. Jimmy loves the game, the con, the streets, the hustle - he is happiest when he succeeds in that arena, as opposed to some silk stocking, moneyed law firm. He's been on the inside of that and it does not suit him. All of this is beginning to dawn on Kim, which is why she is making her own plans. They have already grown distant, esp since he lost his law license - we never see any intimate scenes of them cuddled up in bed or watching "Ice Station Zebra" - now it's just "Sushi tonight?" and they go their separate ways.

Funny how Jimmy glommed onto the burner phones right away - in BREAKING BAD, Saul always had a desk drawer full of them. Another way to stick it to the man!

by Anonymousreply 127September 13, 2018 2:46 PM

Thanks, r127. Excellent post. I’m rewatching the early episodes so I’ll keep any eye out for where Jimmy might have met Huell. I suppose his work as a public defender gave him all sorts of contacts. The piñata scene strikes me as a false note for dramatic effect. Not enough was at stake to justify such an elaborate and expensive set-up. He could have just showed up at the parking lot with his enforcers.

by Anonymousreply 128September 13, 2018 3:34 PM

Huell was the guy who laid down on the huge pile of money in the last episode of Breaking Bad (I think) in one of the funnier scenes.

by Anonymousreply 129September 13, 2018 3:37 PM

Huell was hilarious in BB. He lost over 100 lbs so he looks a little different. I couldn't tell who that other guy was. I wonder how Jimmy met Huell to begin with.

It looks like they're setting up the breakup of Kim and Jimmy - slowly moving apart. We know we have to lose Kim at some point. Maybe the break up is another straw that pushes Jimmy into Saul.

by Anonymousreply 130September 13, 2018 4:27 PM

I forgot Jimmy used the Saul Goodman alias back in Cicero (“It’s all good, man.”)

by Anonymousreply 131September 14, 2018 3:46 AM

Tonight's open was masterful filmmaking, and comparable from a musical montage perspective of the best MMs from Breaking Bad. Somebody else better have seen this!

by Anonymousreply 132September 18, 2018 3:10 AM

They used the color green a lot too. That's the greedy color and it was on Kims side of the montage too.

by Anonymousreply 133September 18, 2018 3:17 AM

Someone in the BCS subreddit speculated that Kim is buying art supplies to make protest signs. Nothing was mentioned in the conversation with the prosecutor, but it sounds like the other defendants she referenced were all white and Huell is black. She'll allege prejudice/racism on the part of the prosecutor and try to get Huell a similar light sentence.

by Anonymousreply 134September 18, 2018 5:24 AM

Everyone raves about Kim but she seems so dull and like she would be a lousy lay.

by Anonymousreply 135September 18, 2018 10:17 AM

But she puts up with Jimmy.

by Anonymousreply 136September 19, 2018 3:17 PM

Looks like she won't be putting up with Jimmy much longer. And yes, she is dully Mc Dullerson.

by Anonymousreply 137September 19, 2018 3:36 PM

Is Jimmy stealing cell phones from the store and then selling them on the street? I’ve never really understood what he’s doing in this somewhat boring scheme. If he’s not having any luck selling them in the store, why would people on the street want to buy them?

by Anonymousreply 138September 21, 2018 9:24 PM

He's buying them wholesale and selling to people who want burners. He's presenting them as a way to keep law enforcement off their backs.

by Anonymousreply 139September 21, 2018 9:30 PM

Well Kim likes living dangerously. Wonder if they break up because she gets busted?

by Anonymousreply 140September 25, 2018 11:27 AM

I enjoyed BCS at first but it's just got so boring lately.

by Anonymousreply 141September 25, 2018 12:30 PM

I feel like this show is so overhyped

by Anonymousreply 142September 25, 2018 1:08 PM

I thought this was a decent episode, I enjoyed the Jimmy/Kim storyline and I think that those Germans are going to be killed after they complete that job.

by Anonymousreply 143September 25, 2018 1:13 PM

I am not finding Gus interesting like he was on Breaking Bad

by Anonymousreply 144September 25, 2018 1:17 PM

So Kim is hooked on adrenaline - not from her high priced cushy job where her opinion is valued and which will make her wealthy, but which apparently bores her stiff. Instead taking on low rent public defender cases and outmaneuvering the prosecuting attorney so elaborately (it was a tad hard to swallow the many levels of that scheme - the letter writing, the phones, the hired kids for actors - but whatever. It led back to sex with Jimmy.

I too think all the Germans, including the head engineer, are going to meet with unfortunate ends.

by Anonymousreply 145September 25, 2018 4:49 PM

Do you think Lalo pings?

by Anonymousreply 146September 25, 2018 5:09 PM

I end up surfing the net too much when Mike and that group is on. Except for the young Hispanic guy, he's hot. I agree with most of the last replies. And I love Giancarlo Esposito, he is not being utilized very well in that character right now. I understand what some of you say about the "brilliant making" of this show, but it gets boring when it starts to slow down to be "brilliant". Chuck is sorely missed, they need someone to liven this up.

by Anonymousreply 147September 25, 2018 6:37 PM

LONG episode. Feh.

by Anonymousreply 148September 25, 2018 7:26 PM

This episode was better than most of the recent ones but only because it focused on Kim and Jimmy. The Mexican drug cartel stuff is still a big yawn. The character of Mike worked better on "Breaking Bad" since he's rather one-dimensional and works well as someone secondary than one of the main drivers of the story.

by Anonymousreply 149September 25, 2018 7:30 PM

If they killed all the Germans, the feds would come looking for them.

by Anonymousreply 150September 26, 2018 7:35 AM

Meh, I thought the church stuff was very hackneyed - like something out of a Three's Company episode with Larry and Jack trying to fool a girl or Mr. Roper.

by Anonymousreply 151September 26, 2018 7:40 AM

They lost me with Gus Fring's cruelty to the coati. It's one thing to be horrible to a sentient human who is fucking with your livelihood. Torturing an animal because it ate fruit from a tree was too much, and it seemed out of character for him.

by Anonymousreply 152September 27, 2018 5:15 AM

[quote]If they killed all the Germans, the feds would come looking for them.

The feds wouldn't know where to look. Other than their entry into the country, there would be little or no record of them. Nothing that would tell anyone looking for them where they were or what they were doing.

by Anonymousreply 153September 27, 2018 6:12 AM

Except some guys in a bar and some patrons of a strip club.

by Anonymousreply 154September 27, 2018 8:38 AM

A dozen missing German tourists would get a lot of media attention.

by Anonymousreply 155September 27, 2018 8:39 AM

Who's going to report them as missing? And where would they look?

by Anonymousreply 156September 27, 2018 4:28 PM

Their families. Presumably there is a record of their arrival in the US. Perhaps Gus was careful enough to pick them up in a distant city and drive them by private vehicle to Albuquerque, but more likely they arrived by public means and bought tickets.

by Anonymousreply 157September 27, 2018 5:42 PM

They likely were brought in by the same method as the first guy was. Chances are that there is no trail tying them to Gus or Mike or Albuquerque. Certainly it isn't that hard to make bodies disappear.

by Anonymousreply 158September 27, 2018 6:18 PM

The longer the show runs, the more I love Kim and the sadder I am that her time with Jimmy will come to an end. I'm hoping she just leaves of her own accord -- and is still alive -- so that the chance exists that she could return if the show eventually jumps to (and stays in) its post-Breaking Bad timeline.

by Anonymousreply 159September 28, 2018 11:18 PM

How do we they broke up?

by Anonymousreply 160September 28, 2018 11:24 PM

I loved Werner's escape but sadly they will find him and kill him

by Anonymousreply 161October 2, 2018 11:32 AM

[quote]How do we they broke up?

We don't, but Kim was nowhere to be seen during the entire run of Breaking Bad... which has led to speculation that *something* must happen that removes her from Jimmy's life.

There have been a number of interviews and articles about it, including the one linked below. So far, producers haven't revealed what lies ahead for her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 162October 2, 2018 12:14 PM

Kim looks like a sour puss and that pony tail is doing her no favors

by Anonymousreply 163October 2, 2018 12:46 PM

Last night was a great episode. Even the Nacho/Salamanca scenes were great and they normally bore me. When Mike realizes the German escaped and panicked was great too.

by Anonymousreply 164October 2, 2018 12:48 PM

You think Lalo and Gus are gonna fuck?

by Anonymousreply 165October 2, 2018 12:48 PM

Well, what did DLers think? (About the season 4 finale).

by Anonymousreply 166October 9, 2018 2:55 PM

It was sad to see Kim realize that Jimmy was conning her too. She knew about Slippin' Jimmy, but she thought he was being honest with her.

by Anonymousreply 167October 9, 2018 3:08 PM

I thought the season finale was the best episode of the season.

Mike's hunt for Werner was tense & then ultimately devastating.

My heart broke for Jimmy with his impassioned plea to the teenager followed by his sobbing in the garage .

I totally bought Jimmy's masterful speech to the Law Board & was as stunned as Kim at the end.

by Anonymousreply 168October 9, 2018 4:11 PM

All through this series, due primarily to Odenkirk's masterful acting, I thought that Jimmy was essentially a good person with a soft core at heart: the way he took care of his brother, how sweet he was to the old ladies in the retirement homes, even when he demonstrated hurt at the hands of Chuck or Howard. It seemed like he had some real sensitivity. All season long I have been expecting some kind of delayed reaction from Jimmy to Chuck's death, and it turns out that he really doesn't feel it at all - that Chuck "didn't matter that much" to him any more than the reverse, and that he was not above exploiting Chuck's name and his letter to achieve his own ends. Kim began to cry the first time she heard Chuck's letter, and she teared up at this performance. And she was stunned to realize that she has misread Jimmy all along too.

I guess it's the only way the writers can demonstrate Jimmy's total morphing into the Saul Goodman of BREAKING BAD. Like Kim, we've all now discovered that Jimmy is not a sweet lovable character, but a hard core sociopath only interested in his own ends - just as Mike is not a loving caring grandpa but a stone cold killer.

And I think, sadly, we've seen the last of Kim - unless, like Chuck at the karaoke bar, she makes one last curtain call.

by Anonymousreply 169October 9, 2018 5:08 PM

I highly doubt we've seen the last of Kim. She and Jimmy will likely go their separate ways but there's too much dramatic potential in the break up scenes and too much viewer curiosity in the exact circumstances of how that will go down for the show to just eliminate her.

Also, Kim is a fan favorite so I think they will keep her around. I really want to know more about her and her past and maybe that will be explored in future episodes. And I and I suspect most viewers care a lot about her future as well. Even if doesn't involve JImmy I want to see it. She is a fascinating character in her own right and Rhea Seehorn's performance is consistently wonderful.

by Anonymousreply 170October 9, 2018 6:30 PM

I'd love it if Kim was managing Saul's Cinnabon.

by Anonymousreply 171October 9, 2018 6:34 PM

what was Jimmy’s breakdown in the garage about?

by Anonymousreply 172October 9, 2018 6:38 PM

This was indeed a superb episode. The first half of this season was dull and subpar but in the last several episodes the show has been as good as ever. The flashback scene with Chuck was great and my heart broke during that final shot of Chuck and JImmy sharing a bed together. The scene with Mike and the escaped Werner was terrific as well. Finally they gave the Mike character some meaty material (too many of his scenes and storylines have seemed like little more than filler).

The show didn't do much with Nando this season but I suspect his storyline in season 5 will be more satisfying. Lalo is great new character and the actor who plays him is exciting--he has a terrifying psychopath energy.

by Anonymousreply 173October 9, 2018 6:44 PM

R172, I think Jimmy's breakdown was about realizing that no matter what he does, he will never, ever be accepted by respectable society, as embodied by the elite legal establishment that was at the scholarship meeting.

by Anonymousreply 174October 9, 2018 6:46 PM

R174, That’s the logical inference from the rest of the show. But that realization should cause anger more than sadness. Plus, Jimmy can’t expect much in the way of respect from the legal community with a degree from American Somoa Law. I thought maybe his emotions surrounding Chuck had broken through. But the ending calls that into question.

by Anonymousreply 175October 9, 2018 7:02 PM

How is the “accident” cover story for Werner going to work? The bullet in the brain is likely to arouse suspicions. His wife surely knows he was working with the others. Where are they going to get German accident witnesses? They can’t have police or insurance adjusters in the lab. Was Mike just lying?

by Anonymousreply 176October 9, 2018 9:36 PM

Plus, the dead body in the Western Union office where Werner got his money is going to attract unwanted attention. Even if Lalo takes the trouble to dispose of the body, the disappearance of the clerk will be investigated.

by Anonymousreply 177October 9, 2018 9:39 PM

I'm glad this season is over. It's been so dull. Won't bother with it again.

by Anonymousreply 178October 9, 2018 9:42 PM

It's all good man!

by Anonymousreply 179October 9, 2018 9:46 PM

It’s was very dull except for the last 10 minutes. I feel like they’re running out of material.

by Anonymousreply 180October 10, 2018 2:29 AM

Kim has resting bitch face. I usually don't like the Mike/Mexican cartel stuff but this bit with Werner was interesting.

by Anonymousreply 181October 10, 2018 2:31 AM

This season, except for the last couple of episodes wasn't particularly engaging. Those two final episodes really highlighted how much the appeal of the show is based on Jimmy/Kim/legal world storylines. I'm hoping things kick into a higher gear in S5, with Jimmy's metamorphosis into Saul Goodman.

by Anonymousreply 182October 10, 2018 2:33 AM

[QUOTE]Plus, the dead body in the Western Union office where Werner got his money is going to attract unwanted attention.

Who said he was dead? There was no blood anywhere. Lalo may have just knocked him out.

by Anonymousreply 183October 10, 2018 4:49 AM

Even worse if he’s not dead.

by Anonymousreply 184October 10, 2018 5:03 AM

Show jumped the shark this season.

by Anonymousreply 185October 10, 2018 5:37 AM

Show is better than ever. The last minutes of the season finale were jaw dropping.

It will jump the shark when I no longer anticipate the next season. Instead it left me ready to sell my mother for just one more episode.

by Anonymousreply 186October 10, 2018 4:14 PM

Earlier in the season Mike refused to assist Jimmy's scheme to steal the figurine because Jimmy couldn't give a good reason why the owner deserved to suffer the theft. Mike could be ruthless but he drew a line, there had to be justice. Here is where Gus got him to cross the line and murder without justice.

by Anonymousreply 187October 10, 2018 4:46 PM

Because of his foolish escape, Werner was going to be killed no matter what. Gus had decided that, there was no way to change his mind and Mike certainly tried. By explaining the situation to Werner, giving him a chance to save his wife, reassuring him about the wife's future, and giving Werner a last moment to look at the sky and accept his fate, Mike did him a huge kindness. He also gave him the gift of a pain-free death. Who knows the horrible way he might have been killed if it were left up to Gus?

by Anonymousreply 188October 10, 2018 8:02 PM

R188

Mike has always been my favorite character on BB & BCS.

I've been a huge fan of the actor ever since he was on Wise Guy.

by Anonymousreply 189October 10, 2018 8:55 PM

Also, Mike warned Werner what would happen if he left. I’m sure Mike feels that his death was Werner’s fault.

by Anonymousreply 190October 10, 2018 9:02 PM

BCS suffered the same attrition of plot interest this year as HALT AND CATCH FIRE, which started out so promisingly and ended up lamely limping to its conclusion.

by Anonymousreply 191October 10, 2018 9:34 PM

What I am wondering about season 5 is whether they will explore Saul's current life. Remember at the beginning they showed that cab driver with the Albuquerque thing hanging off the mirror, and his feeling that he was being followed...?

by Anonymousreply 192October 10, 2018 9:39 PM

Can someone refresh my memory as to what happened to Mike's son? Did he kill himself?

by Anonymousreply 193October 10, 2018 11:18 PM

He was murdered by a couple of crooked cops, Mike then killed them.

by Anonymousreply 194October 10, 2018 11:30 PM

How could you forget that episode, R193? Perhaps the most memorable of the series. I even remember the title: Five-O. And I’m terrible with episode titles.

by Anonymousreply 195October 10, 2018 11:35 PM

I thought they'd return to that scene r192 . That's what needed some follow-up.

by Anonymousreply 196October 11, 2018 12:44 AM

There’s only so much you can do with an hour. Bad enough they left out Nacho.

by Anonymousreply 197October 11, 2018 1:48 PM

The way I recall it Mike's son was was a partner with the other crooked cops and things went sour between them. Again Mike's retaliation was a matter of justice.

by Anonymousreply 198October 11, 2018 2:09 PM

R195 he deserved an Emmy for that episode. “I broke my boy!” I could watch a show with just Mike and his backstory.

by Anonymousreply 199October 11, 2018 4:30 PM

R199

I thought he won the Emmy. I know he's won one for his role as Mike.

by Anonymousreply 200October 11, 2018 5:43 PM

He was just nominated. They gave it to that munchkin from Game of Thrones.

by Anonymousreply 201October 11, 2018 5:50 PM

I just watched the final episode of season 4. The last scene with Kim and Jimmy as she slowly realizes that she could no longer tell when Jimmy was pulling a con was so well done. Rhea Seehorn is an amazing actress.

by Anonymousreply 202October 11, 2018 5:58 PM

This season was all Kim, in my opinion. Gave me newfound appreciation for the character. Rhea was masterful and deserves whatever accolades are coming her way.

by Anonymousreply 203October 11, 2018 6:43 PM

Last 20 minutes of the Season Finale was the only good part of the Season. They are going to lose viewers if the don't fix that.

by Anonymousreply 204October 11, 2018 7:01 PM

R202, what was this scene? I don’t remember...

by Anonymousreply 205October 11, 2018 7:18 PM

[quote]what was this scene? I don’t remember...

It was in the hallway after the hearing when Jimmy was bragging about how he'd played them all. She then realized that he had played her too.

by Anonymousreply 206October 11, 2018 7:26 PM

[post redacted because independent.co.uk thinks that links to their ridiculous rag are a bad thing. Somebody might want to tell them how the internet works. Or not. We don't really care. They do suck though. Our advice is that you should not click on the link and whatever you do, don't read their truly terrible articles.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 207October 11, 2018 7:27 PM

Love Kim. Love the scene where she’s agreeing with her colleague but then you see the wheels turning in her mind. Then she makes her UNETHICAL proposal to Jimmy. She becomes a COLD, HARD, CALCULATING, DUAL PERSONALITY, COMPLICATED WOMAN!!! Taking the drag from the cigarette, her stance, her voice, and her slightly 50s garb conjure up a possible femme fatale out of an Edward Hopper painting!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 208October 11, 2018 7:43 PM

[QUOTE]what was this scene? I don’t remember...

What in the hell are you people doing while you watch this? That was the most important scene of the episode.

by Anonymousreply 209October 11, 2018 9:47 PM

This montage of Kim from last season was one of the BEST things I have ever seen on network TV.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 210October 11, 2018 9:53 PM

Remember how everyone hated Skyler? I thought this was an interesting article describing how they wrote Kim to not fall into that trap, while still being able to have a moral compass.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 211October 11, 2018 10:56 PM

Loved Skyler.

by Anonymousreply 212October 12, 2018 12:41 AM

I had no idea there was such hatred for Skyler. I liked her as well. Just goes to show how fucked up the internet can be. Probably a bunch of incels worshipping Walter White and wishing he’d just leave Skyler and bang strippers.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 213October 12, 2018 1:11 AM

That being said, Walter in his undies is the stuff that dreams are made of...

by Anonymousreply 214October 12, 2018 1:23 AM

I’m rewatching BB and Skylar really was a bitch. Of course, she knew Walter was sneaking around and lying about it and naturally assumed he was cheating on her, but still . . .

by Anonymousreply 215October 15, 2018 10:01 PM

Skylar was not compassionate. It had nothing to do with her being a woman or wife.

The actor played her as cold and heartless (not all the time, but enough to paint the picture). Plus, she could get her to work and help pay the bills? Yes, she got a job but that was after she wanted to fuck Ted.

by Anonymousreply 216October 15, 2018 11:23 PM

I deleted the last episode from my DVR, but it’s been bugging me who the actress was who played that student who didn’t get into the law program. She looked familiar to me. Anybody recognize her?

by Anonymousreply 217October 23, 2018 12:01 PM

[Quote]Of course, she knew Walter was sneaking around and lying about it

People who hate on Skylar tend to forget what it would actually be like to be in her position.

But yes, you can tell they went out of their way to make sure the reddit-type crowd didn't hate Kim.

by Anonymousreply 218October 23, 2018 1:10 PM

Skylar did OK for herself; by the end of BB, it was clear that Gretchen and Elliott were going to deliver the money. Of course, it will never happen, but it would be interesting to see her five or ten years on, seeing what she did with the money, what happened to Walt Jr and the baby, and her relationship with her sister.

But you can't sequel and reboot everything (as Murphy Brown illustrates clearly!)

by Anonymousreply 219October 23, 2018 5:53 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!