Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Joel McCrea

A sight for sore eyes. He’s what Clooney thinks he is. He’s Armie Hammer with talent.

Funny, handsome, naturalistic, excelled in dramas, screwball comedies and Westerns with equal aplomb. Dragging her in his wake in SULLIVAN’S TRAVELS, he was only person able to make Veronica Lake seem talented, though he vowed to never work with her again. THE SPORT PARADE is a an extended homoerotic shower scene. You can also see his ass in BIRD OF PARADISE. There are many pre-code gems.

My favourite is, surprisingly not a Preston Sturges production but the THE MORE THE MERRIER with Jean Arthur.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68May 10, 2019 10:44 AM

He's gorgeous, but as an actor, he's pretty much just okay. He's a little grim, and better in Westerns than in comedy--though I will say he never screws things up, he's the only one of the big four stars in THE PALM BEACH STORY (the other 3 are Claudette Colbert, Rudy Vallee, and Mary Astor) who doesn't really shine. He seems stiff in comparison to the other three.

I agree his best performance is in THE MORE THE MERRIER--Jean Arthur really brings something out of him (as she did with most of her male co-stars--they always seem warmer in their films with her than with anyone else).

by Anonymousreply 1August 2, 2018 9:20 PM

Fun fact: no one in that shot was actually naked. Different times.

by Anonymousreply 2August 2, 2018 9:37 PM

Another shower scene in [italic]the More the Merrier[/italic] in which he barks like a seal. I love him in that and [italic]Foreign Correspondent[/italic]. The bit where he's sending mash notes up to the woman speaking while she keeps insulting him in her speech always makes me smile.

by Anonymousreply 3August 2, 2018 9:39 PM

He was sex on a stick- even as he aged. I think is excellent actor. He is just as natural as Spencer Tracy or Cary Grant. I agree that Arthur brought out the best in her male co- stars. McCrea never seems self aware of his beauty or sexiness. Which makes him even more delightful.

by Anonymousreply 4August 2, 2018 9:39 PM

Such a wonderful scene....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5August 2, 2018 9:49 PM

But didn’t he PLAY a stiff in PBS?

by Anonymousreply 6August 2, 2018 10:01 PM

Gosh, I love that movie, and that scene is great!

by Anonymousreply 7August 2, 2018 10:01 PM

Verificatia?

by Anonymousreply 8August 2, 2018 10:03 PM

We could ask Frances, but she's leaving for Europe!

by Anonymousreply 9August 2, 2018 10:11 PM

Ummm

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10August 2, 2018 10:17 PM

CLAUDETTE COLBERT: [introducing Mary Astor to her husband, Joel McCrea] "This is the Princess Centimillia. My brother, Captain Mc-... [searches for a fake name to give McCrea] ...McGlue!"

JOEL MCCREA: [to Colbert] "What?"

MARY ASTOR: "Captain! We should have met sooner. If I'd seen you around, we would have. This is my brother, Captain Hackensacker.... Captain McGlue! That's an ODD name!"

JOEL MCCREA: [glaring at Colbert] "Yes, isn't it?"

by Anonymousreply 11August 2, 2018 10:19 PM

Great scene. They are both great in it.

by Anonymousreply 12August 2, 2018 10:19 PM

His gay son Jody.....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13August 2, 2018 10:22 PM

He is very naturalistic in the Sturges movies, the only person who is not a screwball, though he is as artlessly silly as the rest of them. Those movies need a kind of “straight man”, or a fundamentally “earnest cynic”, to work, when you have Colbert’s character being irrational, and Astor being brazen and Vallee being weird.

Can you imagine Joel trying to keep it together with, say, Katharine Hepburn in the Mary Astor role, trying to be “funny”? I shudder to think.

by Anonymousreply 14August 2, 2018 11:50 PM

His son Jody McCrea at R13 was a bodybuilder who played "Deadhead" in the Beach Party movies with Frankie and Annette.

by Anonymousreply 15August 2, 2018 11:56 PM

Jody was gay?

by Anonymousreply 16August 2, 2018 11:57 PM

[quote] His gay son Jody.....

Bonehead was gay? What?!!

Seriously, where did ti hear that?

by Anonymousreply 17August 2, 2018 11:57 PM

Pre-code.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18August 3, 2018 12:11 AM

I think Jody was DL gay. He was married to a woman for 20 years, until her death. Jody died in 2009.

by Anonymousreply 19August 3, 2018 12:36 AM

He's hideous, a bad actor, and no one ever loved him.

by Anonymousreply 20August 3, 2018 12:41 AM

[quote]McCrea married actress Frances Dee in Brooklyn on October 20, 1933, after they met while filming The Silver Cord. The couple had three sons, David, who became a rancher; Peter, who became a real estate developer; and Jody, who became an actor. Joel and Frances remained married until his death — spending 57 years together.

R20, Seems a pretty good run for two people who didn't love each other.

by Anonymousreply 21August 3, 2018 2:28 AM

Maureen Stapleton idolized him. She was very nutty about it. Adorable.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22August 3, 2018 2:40 AM

He was ... reliable might be the word. He and Ginger Rogers made quite an odd pair in Primrose Path.

Agree with R1 about Jean Arthur.

by Anonymousreply 23August 3, 2018 2:49 AM

He's so sexy in Foreign Correspondent when he's on the hotel roof in his underwear and robe and those long bare legs keep flashing. Heaven.

by Anonymousreply 24August 3, 2018 2:54 AM

r5: Background music - Cole Porter "What is This Thing Called Love?"

by Anonymousreply 25August 3, 2018 3:06 AM

R22, That was magnificent. Thank you.

by Anonymousreply 26August 3, 2018 3:09 AM

A pal and I have always loved him and found him sexy as can be--as well as charming, fun and witty. FOREIGN CORRESPONDENT is our favorite. I have pix of him on my screen saver wall of sexy men. Several great pix of him are out there. He seems like he was a lot of fun too.

by Anonymousreply 27August 3, 2018 4:41 AM

I think he was everything you could possibly want in a leading man. He just had it. You were drawn to him and you would just sit there and be mesmerized by his beauty and talent. "The Palm Beach Story" is definitely one of my favorites. It's a delightful ride and the cast is top notch.

Also thanks to R22. Maureen Stapleton is one of the all time great talents. I love to hear when other actors are giving such heartfelt praise to such a unique and wonderful actor.

by Anonymousreply 28August 3, 2018 5:26 AM

[quote] Can you imagine Joel trying to keep it together with, say, Katharine Hepburn in the Mary Astor role, trying to be “funny”? I shudder to think.

Mary!

by Anonymousreply 29August 3, 2018 6:10 AM

beautiful in " bird of paradise", oh those pre-code films

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30August 3, 2018 6:16 AM

Charles Coburn and Jean Arthur are wonderful in "The More the Merrier" but Joel slows the film to a crawl. Handsome for his era I suppose but dull eternally.

by Anonymousreply 31August 3, 2018 6:39 AM

So funny!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32August 4, 2018 2:22 AM

Maureen Stapleton thanked Joel McCrea in her Oscar acceptance speech!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33August 5, 2018 4:22 AM

With DL Fave Barbara Stanwyck.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34August 14, 2018 12:50 AM

the camera loved him

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35August 14, 2018 1:13 AM

I agree with OP that Veronica Lake benefitted greatly from having McCrea as her co-star in "Sullivan's Travels". But I disagree that he was the only one who ever brought out the small talent she possessed -- Frederic March did a good job with (despite?) her too, in "I Married A Witch"*. Pretty girl with great hair though.

*1942 movie on which the TV series "Bewitched" was based

by Anonymousreply 36August 14, 2018 1:53 AM

Maureen Stapleton credited her getting into acting to him she even dedicated her Oscar to him.

I don't think they even ever worked together.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37August 14, 2018 2:23 AM

Did Maureen ever taste his puny cocklet?

by Anonymousreply 38August 14, 2018 6:13 PM

R1, his skills are evident in the remarkable opening scene in - to me - his best role, as John L. Sullivan.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39August 15, 2018 2:58 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40August 15, 2018 3:34 AM

He was friendly with Will Rogers who told him to put his money into land. As the son of a utilities executive he knew where the power and water was going and bought thousands of acres. He owned thousands of acres, in and around Thousand Oaks which originally was his ranch. He became one of the richest actors of all time and listed his occupation on his passport as "Rancher".

by Anonymousreply 41August 15, 2018 5:43 AM

Joel Mc Yay!

by Anonymousreply 42September 23, 2018 11:18 PM

His look isn't dated like some of the other actors of that period. Why they didn't hire attractive men as actors back then is a mystery. Bogart? Spencer Tracy?

by Anonymousreply 43September 23, 2018 11:22 PM

Bogart is one of the most charismatic actors in history.

Anyway, he wasn't hired as an "attractive" actor. Remember, his studio was Warner Brothers, the male stars were Cagney, Garfield and Muni and their films were cheap and the Hollywood version of grimy social realism.

by Anonymousreply 44September 27, 2018 5:06 AM

That Stapleton clip was odd. Did she even know him? Or was it just a childhood crush? You can see Jack Nicholson comment Joel McCrae? after she finishes the speech.

by Anonymousreply 45September 27, 2018 5:11 AM

Joel McCrae? Joel McNasty...!

by Anonymousreply 46September 27, 2018 5:39 AM

He sure can kiss

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47October 16, 2018 2:16 PM

What's interesting to me about McCrea (apart from his gorgeousness) is that he doesn't seem dated or stuck in his time period. There's something timeless about his appearance and manner. He doesn't have that stagey style which so many actors of the Thirties and Forties display. You could plunk him right down into a movie today.

by Anonymousreply 48October 16, 2018 3:12 PM

He and Barbara Stanwyck made an awesome but neglected horse opera called THE GREAT MAN’S LADY in 1942. He was cute as could be, as was Brian Donlevy, the man who competed with him for Barbara’s affections. Directed by William Wellman.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49October 16, 2018 3:35 PM

R48 great observation!

by Anonymousreply 50October 16, 2018 3:42 PM

I love Joel McCrea as well and thanks for the two clips of his work. God I love when a director has actors who can run a scene so smoothly - remember their dialogue, hit their marks - and it looks so effortless. Sullivan's Travels is favorite and I loved Ride the High Country (McCrea and Randolph Scott in their later years).

by Anonymousreply 51October 16, 2018 4:13 PM

I wish he made more comedies instead of Westerns in his later years.

by Anonymousreply 52December 28, 2018 6:17 PM

Jean Arthur and Barbara Stanwyck? He sure did love them lesbians!

by Anonymousreply 53December 28, 2018 6:23 PM

Not to mention Claudette; he made her toes curl!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54December 29, 2018 12:45 PM

Are your eyes sore, or is your dick chafed?

by Anonymousreply 55December 29, 2018 12:52 PM

He was quite gorgeous.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56December 29, 2018 2:16 PM

Wasn't he in "The Silver Cord," a pre-Code shocker (they say) about mother love? It rarely shows.

by Anonymousreply 57May 10, 2019 2:16 AM

Gorgeous man.

by Anonymousreply 58May 10, 2019 2:22 AM

I had a crush on him when I watched Sullivan's Travels. He was one of those everyman actors who was genuinely handsome. A lot of everyman actors in the modern era are average at best.

by Anonymousreply 59May 10, 2019 2:23 AM

I loved him on Talk Soup. He tried the same thing on Netflix, but it didn't work because the writers weren't as tight.

by Anonymousreply 60May 10, 2019 2:25 AM

I know the thread is not about her but I just really appreciate Jean Arthur. She had a huge career but sadly seems forgotten. She always brought out the best in her male costars. They were never as good as they were when they played opposite her. Meryl Streep credits a lot of her acting skills to the things she learned from Jean. Jean really is my favorite actress. Jean Arthur is everything Julia Roberts wishes she were. Sorry. Back to Joel.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61May 10, 2019 2:28 AM

Jean Arthur was a wonderful comedic actress. She was allegedly a big ol' lez, too.

by Anonymousreply 62May 10, 2019 3:56 AM

r61 There was a Jean Arthur thread here not too long ago. I remember the OP asking something like "Is anybody here familiar with Jean Arthur?" and a bunch of people piled onto him like "BITCH YES WE KNOW JEAN ARTHUR."

by Anonymousreply 63May 10, 2019 4:13 AM

Great thread! I love Joel and Jean!

by Anonymousreply 64May 10, 2019 9:30 AM

For R14 and R29.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65May 10, 2019 10:34 AM

Another one

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66May 10, 2019 10:35 AM

Last one

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67May 10, 2019 10:36 AM

Have we ever done a thread about Latino stud John Gavin?

by Anonymousreply 68May 10, 2019 10:44 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!