Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Robert Reed, Papa Brady

How did he manage to keek his private life from the public? It has since come yo light that he was out to family, friends and co-workers. How did he keep the tabloids at bay? Did he date? Was he in a long term relationship?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 97January 11, 2019 9:39 PM

I read that he had a thing for surfer boys.

by Anonymousreply 1July 29, 2018 4:53 AM

Aw, he was so cute when he was young.

by Anonymousreply 2July 29, 2018 4:56 AM

So cute in that pic. He looks a bit like Griffin Barrows there.

by Anonymousreply 3July 29, 2018 5:01 AM

His bestie, Anne Haney.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4July 29, 2018 5:03 AM

He sucked Alice's cock during commercial breaks.

by Anonymousreply 5July 29, 2018 5:04 AM

He came across as straight and he wasn’t that big a star to have the press after him.

by Anonymousreply 6July 29, 2018 5:06 AM

I don't like his facial hair. It's too full on the bottom and extended too far up his cheek (sort of like a "wing"). He would look better with a more traditional shape. He appears young but his beard looks dyed. Very distracting.

by Anonymousreply 7July 29, 2018 5:07 AM

He had been married and had a kid, so maybe the tabloids and fans thought he was a divorced playboy dad.

by Anonymousreply 8July 29, 2018 5:09 AM

It was pretty well known he was a homosexual. I mean you only have to look at "Mike" once he transitioned from "Mr Brady" to "the FABULOUS Mr Brady," and started wearing curly hair and groovy clothes to see what a queen he was.

by Anonymousreply 9July 29, 2018 5:18 AM

Didn't everyone have perms and groovy clothes back then, though? It's not like he has any control over his wardrobe on the show.

by Anonymousreply 10July 29, 2018 5:20 AM

Everybody.

by Anonymousreply 11July 29, 2018 5:23 AM

Am I the only one seeing a little Bradley Cooper in that photo?

I wonder if Robert was interested in a little glass closeting as the years went on. He played gay on Broadway (Deathtrap) and TV (Hotel).

by Anonymousreply 12July 29, 2018 5:30 AM

I can see it now that you mentioned it, r12! A little, anyway.

by Anonymousreply 13July 29, 2018 5:35 AM

He would have those yellow teefs bleached if he was in Hollywood today.

by Anonymousreply 14July 29, 2018 5:40 AM

His eyes are incredible.

by Anonymousreply 15July 29, 2018 6:03 AM

[quote]Didn't everyone have perms and groovy clothes back then, though?

Yes and now, people did, but Reed was sporting typical 70s "fabulous" fashion, the others didn't. Furthermore his character changed dramatically as well as his acting style. Mike Brady became less "firm-father-authority" and more "laid back-mellow-and with it."

Reed did a great job playing straight the first few years, then after Hawaii, he clearly said, "aw fuck it," and was himself.

by Anonymousreply 16July 29, 2018 6:17 AM

It’s true all men looked gay in the 70s.

Even Warren Beatty.

by Anonymousreply 17July 29, 2018 6:25 AM

Picture looks very contemporary.

by Anonymousreply 18July 29, 2018 12:44 PM

I'd gobble his daddy cock!

by Anonymousreply 19July 29, 2018 12:50 PM

David Muir keeps his gayness from the public very simply. He doesn't talk about it. And he doesn't have to, bitches!

by Anonymousreply 20July 29, 2018 1:19 PM

I don't tabloids had much interest in outing actors during the seventies or before the seventies. Rock Hudson had all male pool parties and that never made the press until after his death. It was AIDS that brought a lot of it out. The press did show an interest in uncovering celebrity AIDS deaths. More about their personal lives came out as a result.

by Anonymousreply 21July 29, 2018 1:33 PM

Why are all the troll 5203 comments lined out. That cunt is often funny.

by Anonymousreply 22July 29, 2018 1:42 PM

r12, omg you hit on the head. I was always trying to figure out who BC reminded me of. He looks a lot like the brady dad just younger and blonder.

by Anonymousreply 23July 29, 2018 1:43 PM

The press didn't out people because back then because being gay was much more than being "sinful", it was like a perversion, mental illness--thats how it was perceived by the general public. Today the press doesn't out people because its widely seen as homophobic to do so.

by Anonymousreply 24July 29, 2018 1:45 PM

OP it was a different time. It's not like today with everyone having cameras that are on their mobile phones, the media going crazy over nonsense, etc.

by Anonymousreply 25July 29, 2018 1:46 PM

If I remember correctly, after his death, his daughter denied that he was gay.

by Anonymousreply 26July 29, 2018 1:51 PM

Mostly around the cheekbones, R12 -- but young BC. Not so much now.

by Anonymousreply 27July 29, 2018 1:53 PM

[quote] I wonder if Robert was interested in a little glass closeting as the years went on. He played gay on Broadway (Deathtrap) and TV (Hotel).

He also played trans on some 70s medical drama.

by Anonymousreply 28July 29, 2018 1:57 PM

Here she is world!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29July 29, 2018 1:59 PM

Robert Reed Medical Center....

by Anonymousreply 30July 29, 2018 2:04 PM

He allegedly had a very difficult personality.

by Anonymousreply 31July 29, 2018 2:08 PM

He thought he should be doing Shakespeare. Hated The Brady Bunch. I lived in Hollywood at the time and one of my friends told me he was dating him. I remember being surprised because I hadn't heard any gay rumors about him.

by Anonymousreply 32July 29, 2018 2:12 PM

But didn't he enjoy doing the musical Brady hour, r32?

by Anonymousreply 33July 29, 2018 2:16 PM

R7, that pic at OP is a still from Reed’s guest appearance on Family Affair, pre-Brady. He was playing a fussy teacher of Cissy’s on whom she had a crush. The beard isn’t real. It’s very obviously makeup, painted on. Either the producers of Family Affair or he decided that his character was the sort to have a fussy little beard and had the makeup department draw it on. I’m sure at the end of the day, he washed it off and went trolling for dick.

by Anonymousreply 34July 29, 2018 2:30 PM

R33, yes he LOVED it and even said so on many occasions. Even though he was a royal pain in the ass to the producers on BB, he was beloved by the cast.

by Anonymousreply 35July 29, 2018 2:34 PM

There was no social media back then. People could hid a lot of things.

by Anonymousreply 36July 29, 2018 2:36 PM

You'd think so r36, but.....

by Anonymousreply 37July 29, 2018 2:37 PM

r32, was he a good fuck?

by Anonymousreply 38July 29, 2018 2:46 PM

I think there is a quick story in Kathy Garver's (Cissy on Family Affair) autobio about how Brian Keith chafed at Robert Reed's appearance on Family Affair. He didn't like him. Reed was very "actory" and "method," asking about his "motivation" in sharpening a pencil (or some such silliness) and Keith was way more laid back in his acting style. Which is obvious since Keith often appeared on the verge of falling asleep in the middle of a scene (lol). Anyway, Garver lays it out that there was no love lost between the two.

by Anonymousreply 39July 29, 2018 2:53 PM

OP's pic is the best pic I've seen of him.

by Anonymousreply 40July 29, 2018 2:56 PM

Roberts hair was naturally curly. He never got a “perm.” Ever! Cant speak for the other Brady sons.

Robert was hottest the 4th episode of the 4th season when the Bradys returned from Hawaii. When school started and Marcia entered high school as a freshman. Its the only episode of that season and the rest of the shows run when he had his hair straightened. He was HOT. Because once again...

Robert NEVER HAD A PERM!!

by Anonymousreply 41July 29, 2018 2:59 PM

Bradley Cooper's bio dad.

by Anonymousreply 42July 29, 2018 3:08 PM

or at least in sexual spirit

by Anonymousreply 43July 29, 2018 3:09 PM

R34 It's "trawling"!

by Anonymousreply 44July 29, 2018 3:11 PM

Rock Hudson had a hit show ("MacMillan and Wife") in the 70s and was never bothered by the tabloids.

by Anonymousreply 45July 29, 2018 3:21 PM

Yes, r45, he was ever so fortunate.

by Anonymousreply 46July 29, 2018 3:34 PM

Bronze age here. Not quite sure how to say this simply. The conflicts the 60's and 70's.. over civil rights, Vietnam war, etc. were framed as social and political and much less about personality. There was, I think, an unwritten code which protected and pressured 'personalities' to appear at least bland and middle america. We were falling apart socially with the media trying to keep this from happening. what Nixon used effectively by pushing the term 'silent majority'. As long as you stayed in that box you could do just about anything and as long as it didn't become public you were OK. and the media supported this. Jane Fonda is a great example; she was 'good' until she was pictured sitting on a Viet Kong anti-aircraft battery. This crossed the line and then she was out. I can remember my father talking about the 'good' black people, in his case Sammy Davis Jr and the 'bad' black people like Malcom X who actually spoke the truth without a we are all in this together gloss. Liberace, Hudson, etc. were 'good' gays and yes almost everyone knew their sexuality. The idea that a media person could transition to a political person was unheard of until Reagan

by Anonymousreply 47July 29, 2018 3:36 PM

Remember Hudson also had that blind article about him marrying Jim Nabors.

by Anonymousreply 48July 29, 2018 3:53 PM

I believe you, r47. Even Paul Lynde and Charles Nelson Reilly weren't outed, and they were as apparently gay as the day was long.

by Anonymousreply 49July 30, 2018 1:09 AM

r47 I had an older, probably conservative history teacher in elementary school that RAILED against Jane Fonda, still (this was 24 years ago). She hated her with a fiery passion for being a "traitor" during the Vietnam war.

by Anonymousreply 50July 30, 2018 1:13 AM

[quote]was he a good fuck?

Oh, yes!

by Anonymousreply 51July 30, 2018 1:16 AM

R32 what else did your friend say about him?

by Anonymousreply 52July 30, 2018 1:37 PM

R52 It was a long time ago. I think he said Reed was a bottom. Can't really remember anything else.

by Anonymousreply 53July 30, 2018 9:31 PM

Interesting info

by Anonymousreply 54August 26, 2018 1:35 AM

Vincent(e) Minnelli. Papa.

by Anonymousreply 55August 28, 2018 2:32 PM

He lived in Pasadena so was off the West Side paps' radar.

His house was on the location of the GWTW Twelve Oaks BBQ.

by Anonymousreply 56August 28, 2018 3:15 PM

This photo has come up a few times recently on various social media threads - all saying he looks like Bradley Cooper (or vice versa) here.

(See bitches! I did a search and found this old thread! I did a SEARCH! I want a gold star, or a cookie! LOL)

by Anonymousreply 57January 5, 2019 1:55 PM

Because Robert Reed was a B-O-R-I-N-G actor, no one was much interested in his off-screen life. In addition, as has been said, gossips left gay actors alone in the 1970s, even in the 80s. "Outing" anyone would have also resulted in massive lawsuits, who was/wasn't gay was strictly off limits.

by Anonymousreply 58January 5, 2019 2:20 PM

Robert Reed deserved an Emmy for his work on “Medical Center”. His acting was phenomenal; he likely used his experiences as a renowned closeted gay man to bring a depth to this role. He performed with such quiet intensity that one could feel his angst and torment. It was one of the finest dramatic performances on television.

by Anonymousreply 59January 5, 2019 2:24 PM

R47 I think we had the same father. Did he also not care for Muhammad Ali? Or, Cassius Clay at that time?

by Anonymousreply 60January 5, 2019 2:57 PM

They caught me a bathroom red handed but no one cared

by Anonymousreply 61January 5, 2019 3:30 PM

and yet he chose to play the gay lead character in Deathtrap in 1980

by Anonymousreply 62January 5, 2019 4:19 PM

Robert Reed daughter (his only biological child) has adamantly refused to allow her father image in any Brady Bunch memorabilia. She holds the rights to Robert Reed image, and she WILL NOT allow it on any Brady Bunch stuff.

Not long before he died, however, Robert Reed took the advice of his then-lawyer Dan Kossow (a well-known entertainment attorney who also represented Adam "Batman" West) and refused to sign a deal with Viacom/Paramount that would let the corporation use his '70s-era visage on Brady products. The rest of the cast had agreed, so Viacom decided it could carry on without Mr. Brady.

Robert Reed had no direct involvement in the raising of his own daughter. She actually severed ties and allowed her step-father to legally adopt her, terminating Robert Reed parental rights.

Despite that Robert Reed made his daughter his sole heir to his estate - for now she has no interest in allowing the image Robert Reed to be used in any and all Brady Bunch merchandise.

by Anonymousreply 63January 5, 2019 4:24 PM

So his daughter lost out on all of that money for the hell of it? What a stupid choice.

by Anonymousreply 64January 5, 2019 4:41 PM

[quote] So his daughter lost out on all of that money for the hell of it?

Maybe she doesn't want his image exploited

by Anonymousreply 65January 5, 2019 4:43 PM

R65, the only way he will be remembered is because of the Brady Bunch. It was idiotic to refuse to allow his face on merchandise

by Anonymousreply 66January 5, 2019 4:49 PM

[quote] the only way he will be remembered is because of the Brady Bunch.

Then let the DVDs of the series tell the tale.

by Anonymousreply 67January 5, 2019 4:50 PM

Gay Brady on Braodway

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68January 5, 2019 5:05 PM

I remember the bar where he used to pick up the surfer boys -- it wasn't the least bit gay, so I suspect he threw them out after because those who went home with him were more hustlers than twinks.

by Anonymousreply 69January 5, 2019 5:27 PM

Robert Reed hated the Brady Bunch as a show (though he loved the actors).

by Anonymousreply 70January 5, 2019 5:52 PM

Was he a bad father and why did he keep doing BB tv movies f he hated it so much?

by Anonymousreply 71January 5, 2019 6:16 PM

As a preteen proto-gayling in the early 1960s, I remember Reed from a short-lived TV series THE DEFENDERS, in which, If I recall correctly, he and EG Marshall played a father and son team of lawyers. I don't recall much about the show, but I was riveted by the young Robert Reed. He played an earnest and rather dull lawyer but I loved looking at him. My fascination with him was one of the early inklings that I was not going to be interested in girls as I grew older. Maybe it was early gaydar, and I didn't even know it!

by Anonymousreply 72January 5, 2019 6:26 PM

R63, I wonder why he was so against allowing his image to be used. With his image, more complete promotions would likely have resulted in more money in the pockets of his costars, whom he loved, and his heir (daughter).

Speaking of his daughter...following his death, didn't she deny to the press that he was gay? But then, if she had severed ties with him as a post above suggestions, how would she even know if he were gay or not.

by Anonymousreply 73January 5, 2019 6:32 PM

[quote] didn't she deny to the press that he was gay?

No, to her credit she was by his bedside when he died. She had just given birth and brought her baby (Reed's grandson) to visit. The only two people allowed to see Reed in his final days was his biological daughter and his long-time friend actress Anne Haney

by Anonymousreply 74January 5, 2019 6:35 PM

"Robert Reed hated the Brady Bunch as a show"

He was a pain in the ass on the show, acting like the material should be like a Arthur Miller play. Then he later appears on all of those stupid TV specials. Sounds like a real jerk.

I think daughter is embarrassed that he was gay, and how it was revealed. That's why she wants his image suppressed.

by Anonymousreply 75January 5, 2019 8:00 PM

Reed was nominated for an Emmy for that Medical Center guest appearance, but lost out to Ed Asner, as he did again two years later after being nominated for Roots.

by Anonymousreply 76January 5, 2019 8:22 PM

Reed put his hands down my pants and I had him banned finally in the last episode

by Anonymousreply 77January 5, 2019 8:41 PM

[quote] I think daughter is embarrassed that he was gay, and how it was revealed. That's why she wants his image suppressed.

Chicago based lawyer (Cary S. Fleischer ) who handles the estate of Robert Reed had responded

"There's no question that his daughter and his grandson care deeply about his image," Cary S. Fleischer says. "They're happy the Brady show is played and replayed, and sometimes, when someone wants to use his image for a charitable purpose, we say fine. But we take this very seriously."

Fleischer said he reviewed the Viacom/Paramount offer years ago and still advised Karen Baldwin (Robert Reed's daughter) not to take it. "I told her it would be to her benefit to keep these rights, that any money that could come from it was going to be insignificant."

"The family has turned down offer after offer," Fleischer says, from producers and writers who want to tell the "whole" Robert Reed story: "A lot of the publicity about him has gone toward one part of his life, rather than the way the family wants him remembered."

And in this way, Mr. Brady abdicated part of his throne.

"Does it matter that he's not on T-shirts?" Fleischer says. "I don't think so. His presence still exists. He's the all-American father. He always will be."

by Anonymousreply 78January 5, 2019 8:53 PM

He was famous during a period when gay actors could maintain their privacy. After the 50s tabloid gay witch hunt, and before the rise of the moral majority.

by Anonymousreply 79January 5, 2019 11:06 PM

R76, because Reed was just a mediocre actor. Asner was better and justly won those awards instead.

by Anonymousreply 80January 5, 2019 11:10 PM

Robert, Robert, ROBERT!

by Anonymousreply 81January 5, 2019 11:23 PM

my gosh, he is absolutely adorable in OP's pic.

by Anonymousreply 82January 5, 2019 11:27 PM

He wasnt a major star, stayed out of the limelight and lived in Pasadena. If actors want to have a low profile they can, but it can hurt them at the box office

by Anonymousreply 83January 5, 2019 11:38 PM

That looks like Steve Bassett (Seth Snyder, As the World Turns) with RR in that pic @ r68.

by Anonymousreply 84January 5, 2019 11:39 PM

His mother lived with him in his house in a part he had built for his parents. They seemed always to have been close. But they had a fight so terrible he threw her out and they never spoke again. I believe she was still alive when he died. Henderson was like but she's an old woman. He didn't care and refused to discuss it.

by Anonymousreply 85January 5, 2019 11:44 PM

I wonder if it had to his being gay. She might have been in denial until she couldn’t deny it any longer. He was quite the handsome guy in his youth. And, I think past threads have said he was a major bottom. He does look like Bradley Cooper in that picture.

by Anonymousreply 86January 5, 2019 11:55 PM

R84 it is

by Anonymousreply 87January 5, 2019 11:58 PM

His mother lived with him = gay gay gay

by Anonymousreply 88January 6, 2019 1:23 AM

[quote] I mean you only have to look at "Mike" once he transitioned from "Mr Brady" to "the FABULOUS Mr Brady," and started wearing curly hair and groovy clothes to see what a queen he was.

I disagree. As long as he was MIke he played it very straight. Shows you what a good actor he was. He'd probably been gender expectation performing his whole life.

You could only tell what a queen he was until AFTER he left the Brady Bunch ,grew the mustache and became the fabulous, journeyman actor Mr. REED, appearing on 70s and 80s episodic TV like Wonder Woman. Fantasy Island, Charlie's Angels etc, but this time always played with a somewhat superior, elegant sophistication which I suspect was how he really was.

Hell, by the time the first BB reunion shows came around he had a totally different look and personality that was NEVER going back into the closet.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 89January 6, 2019 1:23 AM

Even though he HATED the Brady Bunch scripts because they weren't equivalent to Shakespeare, he was excited to do the Brady Bunch Variety Hour. Somehow he thought that was higher quality and less tacky than the Brady Bunch. When Florence Henderson was asked why Reed was so enthusiastic about the Variety Hour show, she said that he had always "wanted to be a song and dance man". Though his performances were cringeworthy on that show.

by Anonymousreply 90January 6, 2019 1:39 AM

[quote]As a preteen proto-gayling in the early 1960s, I remember Reed from a short-lived TV series THE DEFENDERS, in which, If I recall correctly, he and EG Marshall played a father and son team of lawyers.

Not "short-lived." It actually ran longer than "The Brady Bunch." (132 episodes vs.117.) And it was an hour-long series.

by Anonymousreply 91January 6, 2019 2:38 AM

In OP's photo, he looks like a more handsome, less weasley version of Bradley Cooper.

by Anonymousreply 92January 6, 2019 3:18 AM

Reed did not appear in what turned out to be the final episode of Brady Bunch. Sherwood Forrest had enough of his complaining and wrote him out. Allegedly, if the series had been picked up for another season, Mike Brady would have been killed off.

by Anonymousreply 93January 6, 2019 3:56 AM

Was he such a huge pain in the ass on his other TV projects?

by Anonymousreply 94January 6, 2019 4:00 AM

Barry Williams's book about the show is really good and goes into Robert Reed's problems, which are mostly variations on the show being work (which you don't turn down) but that it was fluff. There were lots of anecdotes about how much he hated the plots and especially the tags at the end of episodes.

One great anecdote in the book was about Robert Reed complaining about a scene and Alice (Ann B. Davis) had had enough. He said "If we don't get this right, we'll all be in deep shit." to which Ann snidely said, "Gee, Mr. Brady, how deep is your shit?"

Still, he did the original show and other shows because it paid well and he genuinely liked the cast; I think the Williams book mentions a vacation that Robert Reed took all the kids on.

by Anonymousreply 95January 6, 2019 2:02 PM

r95 I highly doubt Ann B Davis would use a swear.

by Anonymousreply 96January 11, 2019 5:17 PM

If the show was picked up, they would have fired Reed and recast the part with none other than Benjamin Stone himself, John McMartin.

by Anonymousreply 97January 11, 2019 9:39 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!