Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

How many of you can write a code to reverse a string of letters ?

In a programming language of your choice

by Anonymousreply 38July 30, 2018 4:07 AM

OP?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1July 29, 2018 12:20 AM

I could in Python and VBA. MAYBE t-SQL if I got creative.

by Anonymousreply 2July 29, 2018 12:22 AM

To you elder guys feeling so above this: coding ability is the number one skill wanted by employers for high paying jobs.

by Anonymousreply 3July 29, 2018 12:27 AM

To r3 who doesn’t understand that coding monkeys are a dime a dozen: systems architecture and business analysts are the skills that make big bucks.

by Anonymousreply 4July 29, 2018 12:31 AM

I use C/C++

by Anonymousreply 5July 29, 2018 12:32 AM

So where on earth does one start if you want to learn how to code on your own? What types of coding/programs/??? are "the" ones to learn?

by Anonymousreply 6July 29, 2018 12:35 AM

R4 for either of those jobs someone who codes will be chosen over other candidates every time. I'm asked to elaborate on my coding skills for every interview.

by Anonymousreply 7July 29, 2018 12:35 AM

R6 really depends on what your job is. For good number crunching and making tools others will use to automate work processes I recommend VBA. it's the native language excel understands. Python is easier to learn though and more versatile

If you need to connect systems together and do things more complicated than number crunching like pull data from multiple systems and aggregate it I'd recommend Java or or a variant of C like C++.

Udemy is a great place to learn. Cheap course with dozens of house of lectures. Only choose a course with several thousand reviews and more than 4 stars

by Anonymousreply 8July 29, 2018 12:39 AM

Then you’re not employed at a high level r7.

by Anonymousreply 9July 29, 2018 12:39 AM

R9 I work for a hedge fund, before that I did finance at one of the largest companies in the world, before that I did actuarial work at one of the largest companies in the world.

by Anonymousreply 10July 29, 2018 12:42 AM

And you’re still being asked if you can write code? Don’t believe a word.

by Anonymousreply 11July 29, 2018 12:45 AM

Thank you R8. I'm not even sure it's going to be necessary for my job, I just feel left behind that I don't know how to do it and assume it should be on my resume.

by Anonymousreply 12July 29, 2018 12:45 AM

we’re not doing your homework for you, OP.

by Anonymousreply 13July 29, 2018 12:46 AM

Not only am I being asked about it r11. Coding is a huge part of my job. No one wants people crunching numbers by hand anymore. The goal is always to automate any process than can be. Usually you need someone who also understands the math behind things to code it properly.

Right now I'm building a model that should save one of our teams a hour or so a day figuring out how much they are allowed to buy without going over limits.

by Anonymousreply 14July 29, 2018 12:50 AM

Coding is done by machine, humans are obsolete.

by Anonymousreply 15July 29, 2018 12:53 AM

I don't even know how to respond to that R15 it's completely false. Coding is humans telling the machine how to do human work

by Anonymousreply 16July 29, 2018 12:54 AM

Touche' R11

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17July 29, 2018 12:55 AM

Coding skill is obsolete

by Anonymousreply 18July 29, 2018 12:57 AM

BUMP.

OP here.

So no one wants to answer my question ?

by Anonymousreply 19July 29, 2018 3:22 AM

I can in PHP and C.

by Anonymousreply 20July 29, 2018 3:25 AM

Lets move it along, Toots

by Anonymousreply 21July 29, 2018 3:30 AM

Now, given n, how many of you can write a code to print the first n prime numbers ? In the most efficient way possible.

by Anonymousreply 22July 29, 2018 3:32 AM

These are all stock "programming interview" questions. I thought they were stupid when I was studying for them, no one actually does this in real life.

by Anonymousreply 23July 29, 2018 3:33 AM

[quote] coding ability is the number one skill wanted by employers for *a few specific* high paying job *types*, but it's useless for the majority of high-paying jobs.

FIFY, R3.

by Anonymousreply 24July 29, 2018 3:35 AM

If you want any good job in finance or markets, any type of research, or anything that touches statistics you will be expected to code or at least be able to understand and edit code others have made.

Just because your bosses would never fire you elder gay's who can't do it doesn't mean they are still hiring new people into those positions who can't.

I bet some of you thought knowing how to type would never be a wide spread necessary skill.

by Anonymousreply 25July 29, 2018 11:02 AM

Thanks for cluing us in, R3&R25, because being high-paid douchebros like you (who can't even spell "gays") is the most important thing in life.

by Anonymousreply 26July 29, 2018 11:10 AM

LOL I deserved that knock. But my point still stands, most people at any age could improve their earning potential by learning it. And it's something I think you should try to learn if you can.

Looking down on people who have a skill you don't as "coding monkeys" is dumb

by Anonymousreply 27July 29, 2018 11:14 AM

R27 I was once a coding monkey. That’s how I started my career. I haven’t written a line of code in years because I have coding monkeys working for me. You’re wrong. Just plain wrong. If you are an actuary you don’t write code you have an IT department who write code, you just have to approve the function spec.

by Anonymousreply 28July 29, 2018 12:20 PM

I could write this code in Fortran and Pascal, for I am an elder gay.

by Anonymousreply 29July 29, 2018 12:45 PM

R28 then sorry to say the work you do cannot be very complex or take skills that are hard to find in the market.

My older jobs had general coders that made generic software for storing client info or other simple tasks. But no one with out an actuary's training could make tools for actuaries. The math and mechanics of what we did were not something you could just explain to a random coder. Even a great one. Every tool we used was built by actuaries. Some was software we bought. Most were excel based tools we used for report writing and accounting. But all were made by actuaries.

That why modern companies want employees who can do it themselves. Or at the very least edit the tools we already have. The employees who couldn't do that at all always had some other great thing going for them. And they were still learn when they got the job.

Everyone in my current job is expected to increase productivity for fund regardless of your role. For traders, that takes the form of automating the analysis you may dominant excel to take info directly from Bloomberg. For Investor relations, it may be automating emails that go to clients in response to different situations, but all these groups make at least some kg their own tools

by Anonymousreply 30July 29, 2018 1:57 PM

May do* in excel

by Anonymousreply 31July 29, 2018 2:03 PM

phone* lmao

by Anonymousreply 32July 29, 2018 2:04 PM

I could do it in Python and VBA (with Excel). If I could reference syntax, it probably wouldn't be that hard in any number of programming languages.

I've never really had a job where anything other than VBA/Excel was valued. I did work in statistics at the beginning of my career, but I had no clue how SAS worked. I've since learned some R, and I much prefer it. Overall, I just learn pieces of programming/algorithms/patterns etc. for fun, but my skill level is just too low for all those bits of knowledge to coalesce into something useful. What would be a good next step to actually solidify what knowledge I do have into actual skills? A bootcamp?

by Anonymousreply 33July 29, 2018 8:41 PM

R33 a bookcase is more than you need unless you want coding to become you're primary job. If you are having success with Excel and VBA that's probably enough. That's all I originally knew and then I learn python and SQL to augment it for specific challenges at work. I'd check out free or cheap online courses before a bootcamp

by Anonymousreply 34July 29, 2018 8:52 PM

The algorithm you use for this bit of code is more important than the coding language. Are you going to put the string into a matrix and then print it out in reverse or are you going to be fancy and use recursion?

This task is literally the textbook lesson for recursion.

by Anonymousreply 35July 30, 2018 1:53 AM

I'd do a loop that counted the characters of the string, saved the last one to a new string, until the character count is 0

by Anonymousreply 36July 30, 2018 2:13 AM

I also did some coding early in my career, but none for a long time. I'm sure I could do it in PASCAL, FORTRAN or even BASIC. It's net very difficult.

by Anonymousreply 37July 30, 2018 4:03 AM

I could write an algorithm for reversing a string of letters using recursion.

by Anonymousreply 38July 30, 2018 4:07 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!