Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

1970s Interior Design

So in thinking about some minor redecoration, I got to looking at 1970s interior design. Realizing this is certainly a minority opinion, I would put forth that some of it is fantastic. What seems to work are the earth tones, intricate patterning, use of wood, and often the sense of muted coziness. What I can’t warm up to are the bright yellow/gold kitchens, giant graphics and shag carpets. It will perhaps never get the respect of Mid-Century Modern, but do you think that 1970s design has some redeeming features?

The good:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 233August 29, 2018 3:08 AM

The bad:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1July 28, 2018 3:09 AM

And the ugly:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2July 28, 2018 3:10 AM

California 70's was very comfortable and relaxing. Big nubby fabric chaises, stone, barn wood, wool, a bit of brass, plants, immense coffee tables, art pottery, arty things from Santa Fe and Woodstock type "galleries" of the time, etc.

by Anonymousreply 3July 28, 2018 3:20 AM

Some of it just reads as cheap, somehow. Maybe it's all the vinyl...

And those WALLPAPERS (!)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4July 28, 2018 3:30 AM

When your dream is to live inside a forest fire...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5July 28, 2018 3:32 AM

Embarrassing, but I have to admit I spat out my wine laughing when I read R5.

by Anonymousreply 6July 28, 2018 3:38 AM

I'm stealing this and adding it from another fun thread.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7July 28, 2018 3:43 AM

70s were kinda 60s with a little more color and curves. A lot of god awful brown/orange combos. I like the large graphics. Some of the furniture and lamps are cool. Definitely better than 80s. Still a little psychedelic yet modern. I think Halstons house rather than 70s Soho bohemian loft.

by Anonymousreply 8July 28, 2018 3:51 AM

The redeeming aspect was the "anything goes" freedom with colours and patterns that, when it worked aesthetically (or when you were stoned), was just fun.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9July 28, 2018 4:35 AM

They seemed to do a lot of contrast and "color blocking"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10July 28, 2018 4:50 AM

artisanal wall mounted water features. Big wooden speakers with cream nubby grille covering. Maybe a sexy bathroom. cowhide and sheepskin. Rattan.

by Anonymousreply 11July 28, 2018 4:51 AM

Autumnal stripes racing along walls...what inspired this ? ?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12July 28, 2018 4:54 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13July 28, 2018 4:55 AM

Burl Wood Coffee Tables.

These were really popular at the time if you could afford them. Except they were supper glossy, high gloss with a thick coat of lacquer, not the matte or semigloss they do today.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14July 28, 2018 5:00 AM

The stripes come up from Mondrian through Sol LeWit etc.

by Anonymousreply 15July 28, 2018 5:03 AM

It seemed like everyone who was cool had at lest one bean bag in the living room. The more conservative types did not.

by Anonymousreply 16July 28, 2018 5:05 AM

And at least one waterbed in a bedroom.

by Anonymousreply 17July 28, 2018 5:07 AM

This shit was big in middle class houses. Fake wood paneling you would get from the hardware store. It was cheap and easy to install with a few tiny nails. It was supposed to "warm up the room". Looked nothing like real wood.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18July 28, 2018 5:08 AM

I liked panelling. I liked the weird plasticy stuff in "design" colors but there was also affordable panelling that WAS wood. (laminate)

by Anonymousreply 19July 28, 2018 5:12 AM

Yes, R17 is correct, waterbeds were the shit back then. But only of mom and dad were cool. They were expensive for beds at the time. Most kids did not have them even their parents had one. But unlike the ones t day which look like a normal bed, they had not invented the soft edge yet so all waterbeds had a horrible wood frame around the outside. Part of maintaining them is that you had to "burp" them every once and a while. LOL

by Anonymousreply 20July 28, 2018 5:14 AM

Plants, plants, plants. It's not a true 70's pad if you didn't have at least one Macrame hanging plant in the corner. You could never have too many! Some were 3 tired on one string.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21July 28, 2018 5:19 AM

Plants on the floor, plants on the wall, plants from the ceiling. If you were really lucky you had a ledge and of course, the most natural thing is the world is to have plants with long downward vines.

It's like bringing the outdoors in but not.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22July 28, 2018 5:23 AM

Hell no! The houses were mostly ranch style with low flat ceilings that made the rooms feel smaller. The bathrooms and kitchens were small and en suite bathrooms weren't really a thing yet. Worst of all, all the bedrooms were on the same side of the house. No fucking privacy.

by Anonymousreply 23July 28, 2018 5:25 AM

Everyone thinks about shag carpet when you mention the 70's but Sculptured carpet was also very common. So fucking ugly, usually olive or mustard.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24July 28, 2018 5:26 AM

R22 looks like aliens descending from the ceiling to eat her

by Anonymousreply 25July 28, 2018 5:29 AM

One of the trends back then were houses where the master bathroom would have the vanity outside the real bathroom. So it was kind of weird, sinks and mirrors in your bedroom, seprate door to the shower and toilet.

by Anonymousreply 26July 28, 2018 5:32 AM

Everyone was a star is born. Or so they thought. Almost every track house had these type of lights around the mirrors. Hollywood glamor.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27July 28, 2018 5:34 AM

That mustard color was disgusting. My grandparents managed to pack all the ugliness of the 70's in their house during the 80's. Their room had a brownish mustard carpet, one room had orangish-red carpet, and the other room had green/yellow mixed shag carpet. To top it off, they had multicolored sculptured carpet everywhere else. I felt so disgusted and embarrassed having to live in all that ugliness. I'm so glad they finally decided to change it out in the early 90's.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28July 28, 2018 5:37 AM

Kind of borderline 1970s....but I've always wanted a gypsy wagon in my back yard to offer as a guest room.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29July 28, 2018 5:38 AM

Teak wood was nice. Popcorn ceilings were not nice.

by Anonymousreply 30July 28, 2018 5:39 AM

My parents bought their large house in 1965 and refurnished it in the 1970s. It stayed that way until they were gone. We finally emptied it in 2006 to rent it out. They had yellow counter-tops in the kitchen, dark cabinets, some type of vinyl tile that looked Mexican, woven wood blinds over the sink with orange/yellow fuzzy accents. 70s wallpaper, huge coffee table with arty tile on top, very expensive. All brown, orange, and yellow tones. Two Swedish modern chairs, gold velveteen. Large, big lamps, big modern dining room set. The place was classic and they took care of their things.

I went to an estate sale today that was also all 70s but very run down. It reminded my of my parents house but shabby. It was sad. They had some huge cool lamps and some nice 70s chairs that needed reupholster. If done right you could have a very cool home, Op.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31July 28, 2018 5:40 AM

Not just tile in the kitchen, but tile with wide colored grout! It was an upgrade from Formica. Problem was the grout would get stained and bleached out from cleaning products so it never really looked good. Usually a tan earthy color with a bright saturated grout line like red or orange. If you really splurged and were a bit more edgy you might have had blue handmade tiles with black grout but this was not common.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32July 28, 2018 5:41 AM

R23, not all houses were ranch style. My parent's was two stories, large rooms, full bath and bed downstairs. Built and sold for $35,000 in 1965, worth over a million now (SF Peninsula). There are certainly ranches in the area but not that common in San Francisco, more in the suburbs. A lot of other styles, too.

by Anonymousreply 33July 28, 2018 5:44 AM

OP if you are rich the real Brady Bunch house just went on the market about a month ago. 1.8 million. Inside does not match the set. Outsided was faked to look like 2 story. The big blank wall on the left had a fake window put on it when they filmed the outside shot.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34July 28, 2018 5:48 AM

r33 It really depended on where you lived. I assume 2 story houses are more popular in colder climates and larger cities. Where I lived in the southwest, it was mostly single story houses though..

by Anonymousreply 35July 28, 2018 5:52 AM

r29, I'd give my eyeteeth for a room like that, golly that's elegant.

by Anonymousreply 36July 28, 2018 5:52 AM

IMHO the only real redeeming feature of Seventies décor was the use of natural woods, particularly good wood paneling. Of course cheap fake wood paneling looks horrible and is despised for good reasons, but real quality wood has a warmth and depth that's beautiful in any sort of light, and absolutely glows when the sun hits it. It's made a limited comeback, which is nice, although these days it's usually an adjunct to the horrible greys and beiges that are in fashion.

Of course today's "greige" look isn't as bad as the furniture in this picture!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37July 28, 2018 5:54 AM

Rosalind Krauss' loft.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38July 28, 2018 5:56 AM

Real wood is nice R37, but most people couldn't afford real wood unless you were building a custom home. 90% did the cheap lam 1/4" particle board type shit.

by Anonymousreply 39July 28, 2018 5:56 AM

Honestly, even as a kid growing up in that era, I thought everything was ugly even back then. I thought maybe it was something I would learn to like later when I was an adult. Now of course I realize all those people, breeders mostly had very shitty taste.

by Anonymousreply 40July 28, 2018 5:59 AM

I once worked in a VERY upscale gyn practice in the 90's that had had all 6 bathrooms designed by the head doctor's wife- back in the 70's - to her exact g standards. I kid you not that every single one was a different colored psychedelic explosion of bright pink/chartruse/Orange wallpaper interspersed with some sort of metallic embellishment or in faux velveted paisley. -GAK-. Of course the sink basins and counter were done in matching formica/faux marble in the same offensive colors. Oh, to sit in those bathrooms! Of course, the rest of the office, exam rooms were up to date, but no- one breathed a word about re- modeling the 'facilities since no one wanted to offend the Grande Madame. Yikes!

by Anonymousreply 41July 28, 2018 6:19 AM

r41 If she is still alive, maybe you could call her to shoot the shit about the olden days. Nonchalantly, bring up the hideous bathroom decor like you didn't know it was her and see how she reacts.

by Anonymousreply 42July 28, 2018 6:24 AM

I guess this person wanted to live on a space shuttle...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43July 28, 2018 6:28 AM

more autumnal wall stripes / swirls...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44July 28, 2018 6:29 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45July 28, 2018 6:30 AM

The conversation pit

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46July 28, 2018 6:32 AM

I still have visual PTSD from that era, probably why the only place I can stand to live is in a pure white minimalist environment these days. Still recovering.

by Anonymousreply 47July 28, 2018 6:34 AM

the color palette

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48July 28, 2018 6:38 AM

Oh, thanks, R46. I forgot about conversation pits. Sunken Livening rooms if you were really upscale. And maybe a wet bar.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49July 28, 2018 6:38 AM

You would surely be killed by a Manson Family member in this bedroom

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50July 28, 2018 6:41 AM

I see serial killers making this bedspread, to keep them company.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51July 28, 2018 6:43 AM

If you were really cool, just like hanging plants, you had a hanging chair bolted to the ceiling beam like a sling. You could spin around and they had a little bouncy, bouncy to them. Never sure when you sat in one if it was going to fall.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52July 28, 2018 6:44 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53July 28, 2018 6:46 AM

Designers who did the 70's decor best were Michael Taylor ("California look"), Angelo Donghia (chic, sleek NYC apartments) and Sally Sirkin Lewis (California contemporary luxe). Here is an example of Michael doing the era well:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54July 28, 2018 6:48 AM

The bedroom that just wants to get down to business: FUCK OR GET OUT!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55July 28, 2018 6:50 AM

More Michael:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56July 28, 2018 6:51 AM

Oh hell, this is giving me flashbacks... carpeted bathrooms, wicker princess chairs, macrame wall hangings, long capiz shell "chandeliers," fuzzy bathroom cozies for the kleenex box which matched the toilet lid cozy and the toilet tank cozy... and everyone seemed to own heavy stoneware type crockery.

by Anonymousreply 57July 28, 2018 6:52 AM

70s bedroom sometimes look really sterile, like they're in a motel.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58July 28, 2018 6:52 AM

no comment

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59July 28, 2018 6:53 AM

R56 Yes, that look screams Divorcee Ali MacGraw in Malibu to me!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60July 28, 2018 6:55 AM

70s Candice Bergen couch (and mirrors)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61July 28, 2018 6:57 AM

Angelo Donghia:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62July 28, 2018 6:57 AM

If you were an upscale NY fashion photographer, you place might have looked like this. Mirrors, mirrors, mirrors!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63July 28, 2018 7:00 AM

Angelo again - scroll down for 70's era interiors.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64July 28, 2018 7:01 AM

R63 For tasteful Laura Mars, seeing this would be worse than seeing a murder.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65July 28, 2018 7:03 AM

Special Delivery for R57

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66July 28, 2018 7:07 AM

One girl I knew in college slit her wrists in her early 20s. She was gawky and a little socially goofy/awkward/zany. I think she felt she never really fit in...and I wonder if she was having trouble accepting perhaps being lesbian, too.

A composer I once worked with (David Bucknam) killed himself at 30. I believe he'd given himself until a certain age to win a Tony, then left the planet. I never found him to be particularly warm or nice...so I didn't care.

by Anonymousreply 67July 28, 2018 7:19 AM

Coins or common objects cast in Lucite were really big.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68July 28, 2018 7:21 AM

Lucite Chess Sets were very cool, these are now worth thousands of dollars if you have an original. They sort of changed color depending on what angle you looked at them from.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69July 28, 2018 7:22 AM

R67 Oh god...that's in the wrong thread!

MURIEL! Please remove

by Anonymousreply 70July 28, 2018 7:24 AM

Don't forget the swag lamps, baby! I refer to 70s decorating hell as swag and shag.

I'd forgotten about the mushroom motif. Mushrooms used to be on everything in the kitchen, kinda like geese and French blue in the late 80s.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71July 28, 2018 10:41 AM

Fern bars and (faux) Tiffany lamps.

I love both the 70’s California aesthetic and the darker hippie luxe Biba look as seen in those gypsy wagons.

This is a contemporary house done up in the California style. Not into the wall-to-wall carpet, but I love the rest.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72July 28, 2018 2:14 PM

This is a fabulous thread. I love gay men. And I love the 70s. But being reminded of a lot of the decor choices, it really wasn’t a great design era.

by Anonymousreply 73July 28, 2018 7:42 PM

I was fascinated by these freestanding fireplaces. They seemed so chic!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74July 28, 2018 7:48 PM

My Grandparents had a house in London that they bought off a friend of my Grandfather's when the old cunt went bankrupt in '77. It was a custom-job, filled with all the gloriously seventies decor you could imagine. And, the thing is, from photographs and videos of the place, it was actually understated Seventies chic, with no oranges or browns anywhere. Oh, sure, there were shag-pile carpets and apparently my Grandmother had a thing for the Green Lady (she had two - Maude, in the living room and Harriet on the first floor landing) but I always remember that house as being *cool*.

Next door was a fucking atrocity, mind you. It used to be a 1930s detached villa - the sort that Londoners would recognise instantly and part of the Metro-land landscape - before the owners decided in 85 to have it bulldozed and some sort of post-Modern monstrosity dumped in it's place. I remember that house all too vividly - from the Memphis Group-inspired furniture (who would have thought big red balls covered in felt would be so fucking hard?) all the way through to the bath-tub that occupied the *entire* western wall of the second-floor bathroom. That house, unlike my Grandparents home, has since been destroyed (some would say the Gods of Taste smote it from orbit).

And yes, my Grandmother still has the two Green Ladies. They're currently glaring at people from Maude's vantage point in the hallway and Harriet in the downstairs lavatory.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75July 28, 2018 8:00 PM

Those free-standing fireplaces surrounded by benches and conversation pits only worked in a very large space, large enough that they didn't cramp the room.

Gone are the days of wide-open indoor spaces!

by Anonymousreply 76July 28, 2018 8:10 PM

Oh, crap, I forgot about the free-standing fireplaces. My grandparents loathed theirs (had it taken out in 1992). I was warned that it would summon the Devil if ever lit. Good times.

by Anonymousreply 77July 28, 2018 8:14 PM

The unsung 1970s era laundry room

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78July 28, 2018 8:15 PM

WTF is a green lady? Must have been a very English thing. I have never seen one before.

by Anonymousreply 79July 28, 2018 8:21 PM

Love it - more more more! The Apartment she had in Goodbye Girl. The Apartment she had in Foul Play. Cozy times.

by Anonymousreply 80July 28, 2018 8:26 PM

R79 This might be useful.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81July 28, 2018 8:26 PM

This is good 1970s design to me. The house was featured in LIFE magazine, after which it unfortunately burned to the grown.

I guess someone dropped their joint.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82July 28, 2018 8:29 PM

British, R79. The actual name for the portrait was "Chinese Girl" (though I've yet to meet a Chinese girl with skin the colour of a six-week-dead Republican) and she was painted by Vladimir Tretchikoff in 1951. She was allegedly so fucking ugly that the original was never stolen from the house she hung in. However, in the 1970s, you could go into Woolworths and pick up a copy of the portrait for pennies. Apparently it was popular in the UK, Australia, South Africa and even Canada.

I should say that my Grandmother drew the line at the *other* well-known seventies painting you could pick up in Woolworths, the very-DL "Wings of Love". It's truly, monumentally, hilariously tacky. My Grandmother believed the swan to be rather...lewd.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83July 28, 2018 8:29 PM

R83 Wow. I've never seen that "art" before! I can't believe how popular it was. I just read this tidbit about it: "The most notable appearance of ‘Wings of Love’ was in a mural commissioned for a wall beside one of Saddam Hussein's many swimming pools in his palace" Yikes! Where have I been?

I do recall my grandparents, who custom built their house in the 1970s, having a giant wall mural of mountains in their basement rumpus room. I can't remember exactly what it looked like, but it was similar to the image below.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84July 28, 2018 8:39 PM

My stepmother had a pair of wicker chairs like this with peach velveteen cushions.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85July 28, 2018 8:42 PM

Another green lady for r75.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 86July 28, 2018 8:56 PM

If you were very lucky as a teen, you might have been spoiled with your own phone on the same line as the entire house.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 87July 28, 2018 9:13 PM

And maybe a matching AM radio.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 88July 28, 2018 9:14 PM

If you were a cool guy, and could afford some nice things, you would have been the first in your circle of friend to have an LED watch. Usually gold.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 89July 28, 2018 9:20 PM

Now, now, horrible seventies wall art is the subject for another thread! A potentially hilarious one, if I may drop a hint.

And R82, that house is lovely! Or at least the room in the picture is, as I said the best thing about seventies design was the use of beautiful high-quality woods. Here's another one, places like this were genuinely beautiful, especially when the sun hit the wood. Corrected treated, good-quality natural wood can look faintly iridescent in a sunbeam, if you look close.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 90July 28, 2018 9:24 PM

Times were changing and in the 70's we were allowed to have these in junior high school, although it was very controversial at the time to let kids use them. It would be the equivalent of letting all the student bring in their ipads to class. It was called a Pocket Calculator because it could literally fit in your large shirt pocket. So ugly but cutting edge tech at the time. You never know when you have to do a complex math problem back then it seems.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 91July 28, 2018 9:26 PM

If you were very avant-garde and had some money to burn, you might have had one of these color changing clocks. Big collector items these days. One of the few thinks I liked from that era.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 92July 28, 2018 9:31 PM

You can blame the 70s for the Smiley Face.

by Anonymousreply 93July 28, 2018 9:32 PM

The use of wood for walls - whatever type of wood - is something I have never learned to like. So many beautiful houses in Northern California in spectacular locations are covered in it. (Ex., Sea Ranch). Theoretically I get it - and like a nature vibe - but it’s never worked from an interior “design” standpoint. A treehouse is not a home.

by Anonymousreply 94July 28, 2018 9:34 PM

R24 i liked it and it can be gorgeous.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 95July 28, 2018 9:37 PM

These wood grain or plastic flip clocks were very popular at the time. Looking back, I guess the 70's were a time when people were experimenting with tracking time and made it into the general population, not just theory or prototypes. I wish there was that much experimentation today.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 96July 28, 2018 9:38 PM

Crocheted Granny Square afghans on the back of couches.

by Anonymousreply 97July 28, 2018 9:40 PM

R95 if you put that in a house, then you really are stuck in the 70's.

by Anonymousreply 98July 28, 2018 9:40 PM

R23, let's face it. You were poor.

by Anonymousreply 99July 28, 2018 9:43 PM

R94, have you ever been in a house with good-quality wood walls?

But I don't insist that you like wood walls, I myself loathe wallpaper. I've never seen a wallpaper I really liked, even when it's not peeling or bubbling at the seams the way it always does! But I like natural woods, even today I like touches of hardwood, accent walls or molding or floors, whatever can be fit in.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 100July 28, 2018 9:48 PM

Here’s Johnny Carson’s house, which was built in 1978. Click the link to see more pictures. It has a lot of the design elements already mentioned. Wood work! Sunken living room! I think the architecture is quite stunning actually.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 101July 28, 2018 10:25 PM

Johnny’s staircase

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 102July 28, 2018 10:27 PM

[quote]R94 The use of wood for walls - whatever type of wood - is something I have never learned to like.

I lean in this direction, myself. I like painted wood walls, a little distressed., just like I like exposed brick that's imperfect. But I am not at all a fan of the color brown, so would not like most plain wood walls.

An exposed hardwood floor is great, especially if it has a red or blond cast, and occassionally stripped window frames look alright, but beyond that, I keep unpainted wood to a minimum.

[quote]R84 A treehouse is not a home.

My ideal home would be a converted barn.

by Anonymousreply 103July 28, 2018 10:28 PM

That would be our ideal as well, r103.

by Anonymousreply 104July 28, 2018 10:30 PM

Johnny Carson's house looks like a hotel. Me no likey.

by Anonymousreply 105July 28, 2018 10:30 PM

The wood ceiling and glass ceiling in Johnny’s study is gorgeous.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 106July 28, 2018 10:30 PM

LI Mansion Okeka's wood panelled salon.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 107July 28, 2018 10:30 PM

More Johnny.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 108July 28, 2018 10:31 PM

Johnny’s sunken living room and copper fireplace.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 109July 28, 2018 10:32 PM

Wilderstein in 1979.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 110July 28, 2018 10:33 PM

R105 Now that you say that, I do get some hotel vibes.

by Anonymousreply 111July 28, 2018 10:34 PM

Last one. Clearly the furniture in this pic is terrible.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 112July 28, 2018 10:35 PM

Please paint R107 , with an eggshell finish.

I recommend something from Donald Kaufman Color

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 113July 28, 2018 10:36 PM

[quote]r110 Wilderstein in 1979.

That was her face?

by Anonymousreply 114July 28, 2018 10:38 PM

Copper fireplace? Actually that was another of the few things I Liked about seventies décor, it was fashionable to have accents of copper everywhere. It's a very pretty metal, and can work very well.

Although of course where I lived, every damn hausfrau followed the trend by having a dozen or more copper Jello molds on her kitchen wall! And she used the damn things FOR JELLO!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 115July 28, 2018 10:54 PM

R115 that is a silly decor made from the display of 2 "collections", picturesque and beat up, and its recent.

by Anonymousreply 116July 28, 2018 11:14 PM

I posted Wilderstein because that was a 70's look - dilapidated grand old houses that hadn't been wrecked or restored. Also in brownstone Brooklyn - dilapidated but ornate single family townhouses.

by Anonymousreply 117July 28, 2018 11:18 PM

R116 F.U.! It's my 70s prairie look, still goin' strong!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 118July 28, 2018 11:29 PM

We hooked our own beautiful rugs.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 119July 29, 2018 11:27 AM

And what's wrong with Jello molds, r115?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 120July 29, 2018 1:47 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 121July 29, 2018 3:30 PM

Swag lamps

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 122July 29, 2018 3:31 PM

in blue

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 123July 29, 2018 3:31 PM

In purple

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 124July 29, 2018 3:33 PM

In red & yellow

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 125July 29, 2018 3:34 PM

other colors

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 126July 29, 2018 3:35 PM

The 1970's Coke clock...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 127July 29, 2018 3:39 PM

A reddish orange clock...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 128July 29, 2018 3:42 PM

The 1970's yellow "love" clock looks like it's making a comeback...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 129July 29, 2018 3:44 PM

They certainly were uniquely shaped...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 130July 29, 2018 3:46 PM

Silver & blue...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 131July 29, 2018 3:48 PM

I remember clocks like these with 4 big numbers on them...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 132July 29, 2018 3:49 PM

Brown & sky blue kitchen

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 133July 29, 2018 3:52 PM

People weren't afraid of having a bold color or two in their homes back then...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 134July 29, 2018 3:57 PM

An autumn colored kitchen

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 135July 29, 2018 3:58 PM

I remember many in-ground pools having this outlined border...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 136July 29, 2018 4:01 PM

Some colorful pool chairs

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 137July 29, 2018 4:02 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 138July 29, 2018 4:03 PM

A lot of these pics look more 1960s than 1970s.

by Anonymousreply 139July 29, 2018 4:05 PM

An impressive arch leads to an impressive fireplace...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 140July 29, 2018 4:05 PM

An original room with plenty of shelving...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 141July 29, 2018 4:07 PM

Spacious gold & white kitchen

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 142July 29, 2018 4:11 PM

A "sweet & spicy" girl's room

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 143July 29, 2018 4:16 PM

"Spirit Of '76" living room

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 144July 29, 2018 4:18 PM

A powder blue powder room...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 145July 29, 2018 4:19 PM

A bright orb light over the dining table...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 146July 29, 2018 4:21 PM

Is blue you? Bask in it!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 147July 29, 2018 4:23 PM

A red dining area...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 148July 29, 2018 4:25 PM

Australia was a fan of the 70's bright stripes

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 149July 29, 2018 4:26 PM

Texture texture TeXture!

by Anonymousreply 150July 29, 2018 4:26 PM

A "brown & shiny" living room

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 151July 29, 2018 4:30 PM

Mike & Carol needed this couch for their 6 kids, 2 pets & 1 maid...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 152July 29, 2018 4:32 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 153July 29, 2018 4:39 PM

I don't think any of the photos here represented what 1970s decor actually looked like in everyday life, any more than photos from Architectural Digest or the IKEA catalog would represent today's interiors. They are way too splashy from what I remember, and were just creative ideas.

I just remember that so much of the 1970s consisted of shag carpeting, plastic-covered couches and chintzy wallpapers in busy patterns. Fabrics (as in bedspreads, couches, etc.) was often something like chenille, crushed velvet, leather, etc. Colors were very dull and earth toned (avocado, mustard, carrot, etc.). Everything looked more or less like what you see on sitcoms.

And everything was wood, wood, wood, too--wood paneling, TVs in large wooden cabinets, wooden stereos, etc. My parents actually had one of these, a home stereo system encased in a huge wooden cabinet.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 154July 29, 2018 5:15 PM

This thing fueled our backyard summer fun.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 155July 29, 2018 6:33 PM

It would be fun to see how some of these spaces look today.

by Anonymousreply 156July 29, 2018 8:05 PM

I'm with r40 and r154.

I remember being a kid in the 70's, and even then thinking that most of the interiors were ugly. There may have been some good design around back then (there is probably no era that doesn't produce SOME good designs), but most people who couldn't afford something like real wood -- but then they wouldn't have seen the point of it anyway. My grandmother's downstairs den in their classic suburban split-level house was done in exactly that cheap faux-wood paneling (in a dark shade too) that was mocked upthread.

I hated it then, and to this day have an absolute aversion to avocado green and harvest gold, and to every shade of brown.

On the other hand, I don't get the hatred around here for all 80's design: when it came along, I was a teenager and I LOVED it -- it seemed like such a breath of fresh air with its neon colors and funky, eclectic designs. And even if you do hate the style as a whole, you must admit that the original Memphis Group designs were not only truly original, they were also just plain good. As I said, no era doesn't produce at least SOME good designs.

by Anonymousreply 157July 29, 2018 8:18 PM

I genuinely love 70's style. It's so bizarre. I love watching 70's movies, especially the low budget ones that were probably shot in some real person's house that hasn't been heavily set-dressed. It's like opening up a time capsule.

by Anonymousreply 158July 29, 2018 9:33 PM

The Memphis Group stuff from the 80's always reminds me of a children's play place. Like those indoor playgrounds like Discovery Zone or something. Something about all the bright colors and weird shapes. It seems like you could have a huge fight in one of those rooms and no one would get hurt, because the material looks like it would bounce back or something.

by Anonymousreply 159July 29, 2018 9:36 PM

1972 San Antonio time capsule home

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 160July 30, 2018 3:41 PM

The outside

by Anonymousreply 161July 30, 2018 3:42 PM

The outside...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 162July 30, 2018 3:42 PM

the stove...

by Anonymousreply 163July 30, 2018 3:44 PM

the stove...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 164July 30, 2018 3:44 PM

The pantry wall of the kitchen

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 165July 30, 2018 3:46 PM

Desk area

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 166July 30, 2018 3:47 PM

Vaulted ceiling & plenty of glass...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 167July 30, 2018 3:48 PM

The sitting room.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 168July 30, 2018 3:49 PM

The other side of the sitting room...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 169July 30, 2018 3:50 PM

The front entrance

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 170July 30, 2018 3:50 PM

The dining area off the kitchen

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 171July 30, 2018 3:51 PM

The other side of the room in the first photo

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 172July 30, 2018 3:53 PM

Alternate view of kitchen

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 173July 30, 2018 3:55 PM

Its a relaxing space. Could be rescued keeping some of the original decor and materials.

by Anonymousreply 174July 31, 2018 12:44 AM

We had “coppertone” appliances. Dark as shit. And what was with those 3 foot tall table lamps?

by Anonymousreply 175July 31, 2018 1:49 AM

R174. I agree.

by Anonymousreply 176July 31, 2018 2:18 AM

Don't forget the plastic covered furniture

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 177July 31, 2018 2:28 AM

Egg chair! Which were actually pretty cool with music.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 178July 31, 2018 2:31 AM

R177 I grew up in the 70s & never knew anyone or heard of anyone who had plastic on their furniture.

It must have been a rare trend.

by Anonymousreply 179August 22, 2018 9:33 AM

Take a look at this 1972 couch.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 180August 22, 2018 9:34 AM

Tufted Walnut Case Sofa

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 181August 22, 2018 9:35 AM

1970's red sofa

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 182August 22, 2018 9:38 AM

Art Deco meets the 1970s

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 183August 22, 2018 9:40 AM

1970s Sofa Bed Gallery.

I love the grey ribbed couch (with the wood hand rests) in the middle.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 184August 22, 2018 9:50 AM

A large black sofa with a whopping 20 sections!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 185August 22, 2018 9:53 AM

A rust colored velvet sofa =

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 186August 22, 2018 9:55 AM

R180 That couch would look so lonely and sad each night if you didn't have any friends, and no one ever came over : (

You'd just end up hiding in your room each night so you didn't have to see it.

by Anonymousreply 187August 22, 2018 9:55 AM

I don't know about that R187. The anti social types who are pet owners could really enjoy it. The kind that have a couple of St. Bernards or Doberman Pinschers. Plenty of room there for a big bunch of dogs (I have several cats so that would keep them from climbing on me all the time).

Here's a wild ride of 70s designs...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 188August 22, 2018 10:04 AM

The shaggy (shag doesn’t adequately describe this atrocity) carpeting in the steps looks like a furry lava flow trying to escape the horror that is that wallpaper. Kindly note the framed textile art on the landing as well.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 189August 22, 2018 10:09 AM

Here's a unique chair =

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 190August 22, 2018 10:12 AM

A Brazilian root chair =

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 191August 22, 2018 10:13 AM

These chairs look like they were made in 2018 =

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 192August 22, 2018 10:15 AM

French cinema chair =

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 193August 22, 2018 10:17 AM

I'd kill to have these but they are too expensive =

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 194August 22, 2018 10:19 AM

Italian lounge chairs =

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 195August 22, 2018 10:21 AM

I would've guessed that the "sawed in half" look was a 70s idea =

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 196August 22, 2018 10:23 AM

What a bizarre lounge chair =

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 197August 22, 2018 10:25 AM

Looks like the designer got this idea while walking along a pier =

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 198August 22, 2018 10:26 AM

Good Lord! I had the sheets that match R13.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 199August 22, 2018 10:31 AM

Rocks rock

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 200August 23, 2018 5:12 AM

Audio geeks get picked on in these threads but a boss hi-fi rig was as much a part of a living room as the furniture. Well, for guy's guys anyway.

A lot of physically striking and technically accomplished designs back then..

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 201August 23, 2018 5:31 AM

The great Empire compay

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 202August 23, 2018 5:35 AM

The amazing Ohm Walsh series

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 203August 23, 2018 5:38 AM

Design Acoustics-multi-dimensional briliance.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 204August 23, 2018 5:43 AM

Acoustic Research LST Flagship of the New England sound.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 205August 23, 2018 5:47 AM

My memory colors the whole decade like a polaroid - rich saturated colors. Pollution made for orange/tan skies back then.

View the materials in light of the energy crises. The lower ceiling, alternate heating source, dense carpet, and cheap paneling were designed to retrofit non-energy-efficient living spaces. The post-war building boom created many more badly built pink houses than those featured in magazines.

by Anonymousreply 206August 23, 2018 6:43 AM

for 70s decor done right and classy watch Woody Allen's Interiors. Beautiful homes galore, quite minimal.

by Anonymousreply 207August 23, 2018 7:59 AM

Interior of Citroen SM. A great example of the 1970s aesthetic applied to automobile interior design.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 208August 23, 2018 10:56 AM

If you are interested in 1970s design "The Great Funk" by Thomas Hine is worth checking out. Roughly speaking, it is about cultural trends of the period were reflected in design. The same guy wrote "Populuxe", and they are both excellent reads.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 209August 23, 2018 11:02 AM

Waterbeds, people!

by Anonymousreply 210August 23, 2018 3:11 PM

Check out this photo from Vogue 1970, I'm amazed how much this looks like it could have been taken yesterday save maybe a few minor things.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 211August 23, 2018 5:08 PM

Great thread!

by Anonymousreply 212August 23, 2018 5:48 PM

1970s Octagonal Mirror

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 213August 25, 2018 7:39 PM

Macrame wall hanging. These were everywhere.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 214August 25, 2018 8:02 PM

That book looks interesting.

I like this image of Mummy explaining how you must be sent off to summer camp, so she and Daddy can explore the swingers lifestyle in Mykonos.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 215August 25, 2018 8:18 PM

I do think it would be fun to have one room in a house done in this, I don't know what we call it..."naive" style (?) It always reminds me of a child's playroom.

A laundry room would be good like that....though also a basement room. It would be like descending back into the past!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 216August 25, 2018 8:23 PM

House plants. As many as possible, please.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 217August 25, 2018 8:24 PM

You're never too poor to buy a spider plant.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 218August 25, 2018 8:37 PM

The Jet Desk

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 219August 27, 2018 10:47 PM

The Elephant Desk

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 220August 27, 2018 10:50 PM

Brass Apple Paperweight

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 221August 27, 2018 10:51 PM

Brass Insect Paperweight

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 222August 27, 2018 10:52 PM

Lucite Dice Paperweight

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 223August 27, 2018 10:53 PM

Executive Desk Phone

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 224August 27, 2018 10:55 PM

Desk Scale

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 225August 27, 2018 10:56 PM

Mod TV Tray

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 226August 27, 2018 10:59 PM

Mod TV Tray #2

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 227August 27, 2018 10:59 PM

Lucite Penguin

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 228August 27, 2018 11:02 PM

Everything in the 1970s was about Earth tones and "back to nature." Not just in home decor but in products and product packaging. In appliances, the colors offered were avocado green, harvest gold and a warm reddish brown. Lots of stained wood instead of painted wood, lots of shag carpeting, hanging lamps and house plants. Wild colors and plastics were out and the "natural look" was in. I bought a waterbed in 1976, and I still have the frame, though I hve a regular mattress in it now, not a water mattress.

by Anonymousreply 229August 27, 2018 11:09 PM

UFO Desk Lamp

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 230August 27, 2018 11:09 PM

And just remember how everything smelled. Cigarettes, strong cologne and perfume, incense, patchouli oil.....

by Anonymousreply 231August 27, 2018 11:18 PM

I like this room design but it only has a few 70s items...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 232August 28, 2018 6:58 PM

Designs Ideas For 70s Homes

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 233August 29, 2018 3:08 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!