Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Can someone please explain Nicole Kidman's megastardom to me?

She's terribly stiff as an actress, not a great beauty and she's been looking like a fucking wax dummy for the last 15 years. Plus she gives off some serious ice queen vibes. The only film I ever realy liked her in was Moulin Rouge, but that probably had more to do with Baz Luhrmann's crazy direction than with Kidman's performance itself.

I can't stand people like Julia Roberts or Sandra Bullock either, but I can see why they became so big. But Kidman's fame is still a mystery to me.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71August 4, 2018 11:27 PM

It's the movies. Wasn't she some big movies, thus she broke out as a star. Acting ability isn't required for superstardom. That said, she's had her moments when her acting was very good. Plus, she was tied to a mega, mega star in Tom Cruise - that only feeds stardom.

by Anonymousreply 1July 26, 2018 8:25 PM

She looks like Glenn Close in that pic.

by Anonymousreply 2July 26, 2018 8:27 PM

I think I can. SEE ATTACHED

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3July 26, 2018 8:27 PM

She's pretty, personable, has a good screen presence, and has done some fine acting. I don't care about her one way or the other, generally speaking, but compared to many other actresses, she's got a lot of good qualities.

by Anonymousreply 4July 26, 2018 8:30 PM

Explain it to yourself, fuck face.

by Anonymousreply 5July 26, 2018 8:31 PM

As the old Hollywood saying goes, it's who you know and who you blow. For her early career, it was who she knew (she was married to one of the biggest stars in Hollywood) and, for her later career, it was who she blew (notice she has been completely silent about Weinstein).

by Anonymousreply 6July 26, 2018 8:35 PM

She was very good in that last thing, the TV thing. She won every award going.

by Anonymousreply 7July 26, 2018 8:36 PM

She was known in the US for years as Tom Cruise's extremely pretty wife (and she really was quite pretty in her late 20s and early 30s) who wore beautiful and unusual clothes on the red carpet. She mostly played girlfriend roles and no one knew she could act well. Then she surprised everyone by showing she could really act quite well in TO DIE FOR. When she wasn't nominated for a Best Actress Oscar for TO DIE FOR and was aksed why she thought that had happened, she said to the press, "I wasn't good enough," which was widely repeated and everyone took as very humble, so there was lots of good will for her; and she also got great reviews for EYES WIDE SHUT (even thought he movie itself did not).

Then she and Tom divorced, and everyone's sympathies were with her, especially when he started going nuts after that and had all the bad press. About that time her career really took off and she started getting really A-list roles and doing very well with them, particularly in MOULIN ROUGE and THE HOURS. She was overpraised for both, and she won the Oscar mostly for making herself look silly in the false Virginia Woolf nose, but by that time she had cemented herself as a major Hollywood player. And she started refusing to do mainstream films and only doing hig prestige independent films 9like FUR).

The problem was that after this it became more and more known that she's really a priss and thinks quite highly of herself; she also began to lose her youth and resorted to horrible Botox and fillers to extend it. But she continues to retain extremely high esteem in Hollywood. she did NOT deserve her Emmy last year for BIG LITTLE LIES, though she was quite decent (the Emmy should have gone to Claire Foy for THE CROWN), but because everyone was so impressed a pretty Hollywood Princess Perfect like Nicole allowed to show herself to play an abused wife on TV and it was the year for #MeToo, she won the Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 8July 26, 2018 8:44 PM

She deserved an Oscar for The Others.

by Anonymousreply 9July 26, 2018 8:52 PM

Never thought much of her until " To Die for." She was robbed b/c she deserved an Oscar for that.

by Anonymousreply 10July 26, 2018 9:01 PM

I've never understood it either. She is the ultimate ice queen priss and has never been able to convincingly project any warmth. The only role she can play is the upper middle class wasp housewife. She is simply a more upscale version of January Jones. I am usually not sanctimonious when it comes to family matters, but I always found her abandonment of her adopted children distasteful. It's strange to me that she is a major star but her fellow Aussie, Rose Byrne, who is incredibly beautiful and can actually project warmth, gets fewer accolades.

by Anonymousreply 11July 26, 2018 9:07 PM

She's a very talented actress and people have seen that since her early days in things like Bangkok Hilton and Dead Calm. She received unanimous critical acclaim for her roles in To Die For, Dogville and The Others.

I think the main reason for her 'megastardom' is she's not afraid to take risks and it's paid off very well for her. There are very few actresses out who've taken on such a variety of roles with such a variety of directors, both mainstream and more 'out there' with such success.

by Anonymousreply 12July 26, 2018 9:08 PM

I cannot. She is painful to watch.

by Anonymousreply 13July 26, 2018 9:09 PM

Her best work is definitely in To Die For. She was brilliant in that and deserved at least an Oscar nom for it. I have to give her props for sometimes taking on very strange films and roles. You don't see Roberts or Bullock doing that. They play it safe. At least Kidman has never played it safe and it's always fun trying to see what she'll do next.

She isn't a terribly warm actress and I think that's why she's not as lovable as some of her contemporaries. To me, the role she was born to play was the mother in Flowers in the Attic. She has that perfect icy blonde princess vibe. Too bad the role ended up going to boring Heather Graham in the Lifetime movie. Kidman would have been brilliant.

by Anonymousreply 14July 26, 2018 9:10 PM

Maybe it's simple like she is a good actress, knows her lines, is professional, knows the right people and charms them, never got fat or had drug issues. I always liked her as an actress, maybe some of her movies were shit but she usually gave a decent performance.

by Anonymousreply 15July 26, 2018 9:19 PM

Go bounce on a couch, Tammy, you freakish, closeted, Scientologist shill dwarf.

by Anonymousreply 16July 26, 2018 9:24 PM

She was hit by that HEINOUS bicyclist and everyone sympathized with her for that. For far too long hipster bikers have run roughshod over our cities unchecked. #justice4nicole

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17July 26, 2018 9:28 PM

Google image Nicole Kidman Harvey Weinstein and see

by Anonymousreply 18July 26, 2018 9:34 PM

She has old school movie star qualities and is quite decent actress often, I liked her quite a bit in The Others, and the recent tv series with Reese Witherspoon, but agree with other posters about her removed quality, I think the roles that include a lot of neuroticism or fearful situations. She seems fiercely ambitious and willing to do what it takes to keep working, including doing what was necessary with HW (which he demonstrated to another actress by 'summoning her' on command via text.)

by Anonymousreply 19July 26, 2018 9:37 PM

Yeah, she's definitely not an actress who can "disappear into her roles" like Lange, Streep, or Close, but in the *right* one, she's very good. Loved her in the second season of Top of the Lake.

by Anonymousreply 20July 26, 2018 9:41 PM

There was a period there where she was in everything and she was great in all of it, esp "Dogville."

by Anonymousreply 21July 26, 2018 9:44 PM

[quote]and, for her later career, it was who she blew (notice she has been completely silent about Weinstein).

Yes that’s true — except for it being 100% wrong.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22July 26, 2018 9:48 PM

I think she’s a good actress and she’s been in some movies I’ve loved (“To Die For”, “The Others”).

by Anonymousreply 23July 26, 2018 9:51 PM

She married Tom Cruise at the height of his popularity.

by Anonymousreply 24July 26, 2018 10:17 PM

To Die For was a great movie. She played the role pitch perfect

So perfect, it was noted that Tom Cruise was a little nervous

by Anonymousreply 25July 26, 2018 10:51 PM

The Stepford Wives remake was incredible and would have been true perfection if they didn’t change to that horrible ending. Fight me.

by Anonymousreply 26July 26, 2018 10:58 PM

Best acting: To Die For

by Anonymousreply 27July 27, 2018 12:00 AM

I'm not a big fan of To Die For. The only film where I totally forgot I was watching Nicole Kidman onscreen was The Others.

by Anonymousreply 28July 27, 2018 1:13 AM

I just like her. So what?

by Anonymousreply 29July 27, 2018 3:14 AM

I love her. She Appears very sweet and demure, but I bet she is a real powerhouse IRL.

by Anonymousreply 30July 27, 2018 3:31 AM

I agree with every poster who praises her work in To Die For. But she is cold and there is something sinister and fake about her. Also, her pedophile Father being murdered freaks me out. People close to her claim she knew all about it and did nothing.

by Anonymousreply 31July 27, 2018 3:35 AM

She’s an alien and we worship them

by Anonymousreply 32July 27, 2018 3:43 AM

R31 wtf?

by Anonymousreply 33July 27, 2018 3:44 AM

she fuks producers if needed. only explantion, her talents are zero....unreal fug

by Anonymousreply 34July 27, 2018 3:45 AM

Beautiful lesbian couple

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35July 27, 2018 3:55 AM

I even loved her performance in "The Paper Boy"...on par with "To Die For"...as an actress she sells it, but the off screen personality is heinous.

by Anonymousreply 36July 27, 2018 4:35 AM

Thank you, OP! Nicole Kidman is so over-rated and mediocre.

by Anonymousreply 37July 27, 2018 5:11 AM

Her 10 year marriage to Tom Cruise

by Anonymousreply 38July 27, 2018 5:51 AM

I like her

by Anonymousreply 39July 27, 2018 4:43 PM

Her sham marriage to Tammy

and being Harvey's darling she worked with Harvey on many films

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40August 2, 2018 11:45 PM

She has sacrificed many of her own eggs to the Devil and also coupled with him. She's a witch!

by Anonymousreply 41August 2, 2018 11:49 PM

R6 As the old Hollywood saying goes, it's who you know and who you blow. For her early career, it was who she knew (she was married to one of the biggest stars in Hollywood) and, for her later career, it was who she blew

Yes totally true

by Anonymousreply 42August 2, 2018 11:51 PM

Nicole and Harvey

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43August 2, 2018 11:52 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44August 2, 2018 11:52 PM

She was the Hollywood actress Paul Verhoeven wanted for Elle.

by Anonymousreply 45August 2, 2018 11:53 PM

Isabelle Huppert is 10/10 actress and Nicole at her best is 7/10.

by Anonymousreply 46August 2, 2018 11:56 PM

It's pretty rare that someone who was first celebrated for her beauty (even though it was after several plastic surgeries) can actually act. How many are there? Jessica Lange (once upon a time), Michelle Pfeiffer, Julianne Moore, Annette Bening, Kate Winslet... there's not many of them, so they're hugely celebrated. In fact, when an actress whom the public considers beautiful does even a halfway decent job in a movie (like Halle Berry or Sandra Bullock or Julia Roberys), she often gets an Oscar for it.

The plainer girls who can act well, like Saiorse Ronan and Toni Collette and Sally Hawkins, are taken more for granted. They have to really shine to win an Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 47August 3, 2018 12:08 AM

What is her relationship like with her two adult children by Cruise? Does she even see them anymore? It's like she just moved on after her marriage to him--she only talks about her children with the hillbilly now.

by Anonymousreply 48August 3, 2018 12:09 AM

I never took her seriously as an actress until To Die For, and then I realized she was brilliant. I love watching her on screen now. I admire her for doing things so outside the mainstream. It might be calculated, but, it makes it seem that she acts because she loves to act, and not because of the fame or money, because many of her movies will never been seen outside of a few big city art houses. She chooses rolls very well, and the movies she's in usually have something good about them. That said, I do wish she would age more naturally. It might be too difficult or freaky to start looking her age now, because it would be too much too soon, but she should start to look more natural.

by Anonymousreply 49August 3, 2018 12:13 AM

Kidman didn't act in To Die For. She just played herself - a ruthless, do anything to get to the top cunt.

by Anonymousreply 50August 3, 2018 12:22 AM

She is just so brittle.

by Anonymousreply 51August 3, 2018 12:23 AM

Push her over and she would shatter like glass.

by Anonymousreply 52August 3, 2018 12:33 AM

Get so sick of seeing that Urban fello with the was he strategically parts his hair to camouflage his receding hairline.

Yuck.

by Anonymousreply 53August 3, 2018 12:36 AM

DEVIL + DEAL = Nicole Kidman's career

by Anonymousreply 54August 3, 2018 12:38 AM

[quote] She chooses rolls very well,

"I'll have that cheese danish, please, and that cinnamon bun!"

by Anonymousreply 55August 3, 2018 12:38 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56August 3, 2018 2:05 AM

Fake it till you make it

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57August 3, 2018 2:04 PM

R47 Kate Winslet? Since when that fat cunt is considered beautiful?

by Anonymousreply 58August 3, 2018 2:07 PM

Kate Winslet looks like a butch bull dyke

by Anonymousreply 59August 3, 2018 2:11 PM

Kate Winslet was considered fuckable (because she loves showing it off) and romantic (Titanic, Sense and Sensibility) and likeable (her 25 years of banging on about how normal she is in interviews) but not a great exotic beauty, no.

Add Natalie Portman to the Roberts/Berry list. Men have wanted to fuck her since she was 12.

by Anonymousreply 60August 3, 2018 4:34 PM

She gives one of the great, grossly underrated performances in "Birth."

by Anonymousreply 61August 3, 2018 4:46 PM

Roberts is kinda ugly

Portman and Berry are average looking to me

by Anonymousreply 62August 4, 2018 2:23 AM

karl Lagerfeld says they most scathing bad shit bout her

she was the joke of chanel

by Anonymousreply 63August 4, 2018 11:08 AM

Agree wholeheartedly with R12. Don't forget Birth - she was a knockout in that. One of my all time favorite films

by Anonymousreply 64August 4, 2018 11:16 AM

No other mainstream actress has taken the sort of risks she has. Not even close. Yes she's odd in real life, a bit of a ditz, annoying in interviews, frankly she seems immature. Yet her film choices are amazing, and she is a genuinely good actress, and she is still rather stunning IMHO.

by Anonymousreply 65August 4, 2018 11:21 AM

She’s fucked the right people. Weinstein included.

by Anonymousreply 66August 4, 2018 11:23 AM

[quote]As the old Hollywood saying goes, it's who you know and who you blow.

Ain't that the truth.

by Anonymousreply 67August 4, 2018 12:58 PM

I tried Birth because it supposedly had a great Kidman performance. But she underwhelmed me it. And it was as ridiculous plot. But I do like her in Margot at the Wedding.

by Anonymousreply 68August 4, 2018 12:59 PM

She’s hard to look at. She’s obviously got anorexia nervosa. You can’t hide a skeletal gaunt looking head. Her neck is so skeletal, it makes her head look gigantic. Yech.

by Anonymousreply 69August 4, 2018 1:06 PM

R69 Yes but she looks fat in comparison to Angelina Jolie :D

by Anonymousreply 70August 4, 2018 8:33 PM

Naomi Watts Makes Out With partner Nicole Kidman on Stage

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71August 4, 2018 11:27 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!