Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

"Crazy Rich Asians"

Who greenlighted this movie?

Poor Hollywood. So out of touch.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 413June 14, 2021 11:15 AM

the books have a huge following, and it's the first major movie since The Joy Luck Club with an all Asian cast. there is big pent up demand for more representation of Asian folk on the screen, similar to Black Panther. watch and see it haul in the money if it's any good.

by Anonymousreply 1July 25, 2018 5:03 AM

That looks good. If I can sit through a Sex and a City movie then I can do this one with a beautiful cast.

by Anonymousreply 2July 25, 2018 5:13 AM

No Bai Ling? No see.

by Anonymousreply 3July 25, 2018 5:14 AM

I'm looking forward to it. It looks like a trashy Tyler Perry movie which is right up my alley.

by Anonymousreply 4July 25, 2018 5:16 AM

[quote] it's the first major movie since The Joy Luck Club with an all Asian cast

That's the problem.

Huge opportunity to showcase something good, and they squander it on this movie?? It looks like crap.

by Anonymousreply 5July 25, 2018 5:17 AM

Synopsis:

[quote] Rachel Chu is happy to accompany her longtime boyfriend, Nick, to his best friend's wedding in Singapore. She's also surprised to learn that Nick's family is extremely wealthy and he's considered one of the country's most eligible bachelors. Thrust into the spotlight, Rachel must now contend with jealous socialites, quirky relatives and something far, far worse -- Nick's disapproving mother.

So many damned cliches in this movie, I just can't even.

Doesn't anyone have any new and fresh ideas that don't portray asians as one-dimensional, including the obligatory "Tiger Mom?"

I mean, please.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6July 25, 2018 5:31 AM

The ending should be so suspenseful! I wonder if they get together at the end! /s

by Anonymousreply 7July 25, 2018 5:33 AM

Isn't that woman who stars in Fresh off the Boat sort of a loose cannon on Twitter? She caused some controversies but I forget what.

by Anonymousreply 8July 25, 2018 5:38 AM

Gemma Chan from Humans is in this movie.

I found that surprising. I thought that she chose better projects than this.

by Anonymousreply 9July 25, 2018 5:41 AM

OP, why is this out of touch? It actually is very in line with what people want in 2018. I think you're the one who's out of touch.

by Anonymousreply 10July 25, 2018 5:42 AM

Was Hong Chau unavailable? She is not getting much work after her Golden Globe nomination.

by Anonymousreply 11July 25, 2018 5:44 AM

Trashy Westernized Asians would be a more apt title. Will probably be banned in China.

by Anonymousreply 12July 25, 2018 6:37 AM

Singaporeans are Westernized Asians.

Once upon a time, Singapore was majority Malays. Now it is overwhelmingly Han Chinese.

by Anonymousreply 13July 25, 2018 7:00 AM

It could be interesting--the book and its sequel have sold incredibly well, so there's a real market for it.

I'm not happy Ken Jeung is in it, but Michelle Yeoh could be great.

by Anonymousreply 14August 9, 2018 3:53 PM

I actually saw it. It was pretty fun.

by Anonymousreply 15August 9, 2018 4:01 PM

I think I’ll save my money and go see the shark movie with hot baldie Jason stathum. But maybe I’ll eat crazy rich Asian food after.

by Anonymousreply 16August 9, 2018 4:03 PM

Because Asian Americans are supposed to relate to this like the African American community did for Black Panther?

Please... I'll wait for Mulan

by Anonymousreply 17August 9, 2018 4:06 PM

Not wasting my money, gonna wait for cable

by Anonymousreply 18August 9, 2018 4:08 PM

Who the fuck wants to spend money to see movie about the most loathsome people on this planet?

by Anonymousreply 19August 9, 2018 4:08 PM

I'm going to see it for the hot Asian men!

by Anonymousreply 20August 9, 2018 4:10 PM

Please. Singapore was always majority Chinese. That's why "Malaya" split into two countries after independence. Each section wanted their ethnic majority to prevail.

by Anonymousreply 21August 9, 2018 4:24 PM

Once again the Asian mother character has to be fearsome and rigid.

I am dying to see a movie where there's an Asian or Asian-American mother figure who just doesn't give two fucks. "Do whatever you like--it's perfectly fine with me! Whatever!"

by Anonymousreply 22August 9, 2018 4:50 PM

You make-a-me happy!

by Anonymousreply 23August 9, 2018 5:00 PM

Henry Golding is lovely to look at.

by Anonymousreply 24August 9, 2018 5:03 PM

The book starts with a EST worthy set up of racist profiling and refusal of service at a London ultra luxury hotel. As if.

by Anonymousreply 25August 9, 2018 5:06 PM

R19 ah the racists come out

by Anonymousreply 26August 9, 2018 5:07 PM

Note how they all have white-face.

by Anonymousreply 27August 9, 2018 5:07 PM

I think they should make a movie where some of the characters undergo Korean radical facial reconstruction. Kind of like that Stockard Channing flick The Girl Most Likely To. It could be. thriller or a black comedy.

by Anonymousreply 28August 9, 2018 5:13 PM

R27, you don't know many Asians, do you?

by Anonymousreply 29August 9, 2018 5:14 PM

R28, they have that.

by Anonymousreply 30August 9, 2018 5:15 PM

What is the name of such a movie R30?

by Anonymousreply 31August 9, 2018 5:16 PM

I do, actually and they picked the most square faced non-typical Chinese looking guy for the lead. The chick also looks half.

by Anonymousreply 32August 9, 2018 5:21 PM

Until she's in her dress, anyway.

by Anonymousreply 33August 9, 2018 5:21 PM

But at least theres an Asian cast for once.

by Anonymousreply 34August 9, 2018 5:21 PM

Singapore was created by the British. It's always been Western.

by Anonymousreply 35August 9, 2018 5:32 PM

OP likes to weep salty white tears and feels afraid when he sees "those people" using their own wealth as they see fit.

by Anonymousreply 36August 9, 2018 5:32 PM

I've always like the double entendre of the title that connotes both Asians who are crazy rich and rich Asians who are also crazy.

The books are very successful. It makes sense they would adapt them for a movie - Fifty Shades of Stupid, anyone?

by Anonymousreply 37August 9, 2018 6:06 PM

Excuse me, I went to college with many Asians, foreign and American, all their mothers are like “ tiger moms”. The Japanese moms were the coolest, the Chinese moms would criticize their kids in public. They even “interviewed” me to see if I was a worthy friend or roommate etc.

by Anonymousreply 38August 9, 2018 6:12 PM

[quote]Excuse me, I went to college with many Asians, foreign and American, all their mothers are like “ tiger moms”. The Japanese moms were the coolest, the Chinese moms would criticize their kids in public. They even “interviewed” me to see if I was a worthy friend or roommate etc.

Clearly r38 is just a bitter racist who didn't make the cut for worthy for either friend or roommate - and lord only knows what the "etc." is.

by Anonymousreply 39August 9, 2018 6:24 PM

The novels are very very popular (and i heard good things about them) so it's obvious there will be movies about them

by Anonymousreply 40August 9, 2018 6:24 PM

80% of the book is the name-dropping and mindless consumption of luxury goods and Singaporean/Malay street food. I wonder how that translates to the screen. In terms of the content, this will have all the character development and plot lines of SATC2. The second book where Rachel looks for her mysterious wealthy father from Mainland China would make more interesting viewing (think Chinese "Lace"!)

by Anonymousreply 41August 9, 2018 7:00 PM

R41: Well, it worked for American Psycho

by Anonymousreply 42August 9, 2018 7:07 PM

Getting great reviews so far - 100% per RT. Granted < 20 critics but most are major publications.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43August 9, 2018 7:14 PM

I saw it at a preview screening last week -- it had kind of a made-for-TV vibe about it and, for me, the biggest problem was its lead, Constance Wu.

She reminded me of Jennifer Aniston: fine on a TV sitcom (bubbly, perky, etc.), but without gravitas or a strong enough big-screen presence to carry a feature on her shoulders. She was outacted by Michelle Yeoh and Gemma Chan in every scene they shared.

by Anonymousreply 44August 9, 2018 7:17 PM

As his name suggests, the very lovely and fragrant Henry Golding isn't "Asian-Asian."

by Anonymousreply 45August 9, 2018 7:26 PM

Things I'd rather do than watch this movie:

Walk on broken glass.

Eat a jar of ghost peppers.

Take a 20 hour flight to Singapore.

Drink my own urine.

by Anonymousreply 46August 9, 2018 10:49 PM

I am interested in the movie and will go out and support it in the theaters. The creators turned down big money from Netflix to bring it to cinemas.

by Anonymousreply 47August 9, 2018 10:52 PM

R47 It would have been better on Netflix... the story has so many subplots (some way more interesting the the main plot). A film just doesn't do justice for this type of convoluted soap opera story.

by Anonymousreply 48August 9, 2018 11:29 PM

Henry Golding makes me hungry again 30 minutes later.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49August 9, 2018 11:32 PM

Fan Tan Fannie has found a new guy!

His name is Manny.

He's GOOD for Fannie.

So goodbye, Fannie,

Goodbye!

by Anonymousreply 50August 10, 2018 12:47 AM

The books are summer reading fun and obviously tailor-made for movie/tv adaption. My expectation is that the movie can live up to that breezy fun standard. It's hard to judge by the trailer I have seen. I'm wary of the change in the Goh Peik Lin character, Rachel's best friend. In the book, she's Singaporean who studied in America and helps Rachel out with her insider Singaporean knowledge. I associate her character with the Singlish accent and patois. In the trailer, it's clear Ackwafina is doing her Queens schtick. Maybe it'll be great but I wish they had kept the character Singapore-based.

And they couldn't find a hot Asian ACTOR to play Nick Young? Come on. Maybe Golding will be great, but they gave the lead role to a guy who's never acted before. I know the flack has been that's he mixed race but my chief concern is that he can't act.

by Anonymousreply 51August 10, 2018 12:49 AM

I just feel bad for Michelle Yeoh.

by Anonymousreply 52August 10, 2018 12:56 AM

I didn't realise Golding was a hairdresser turned TV host. Wasn't impressed with him in the trailer, and he's ethnic Malay. That's going to create a lot of mixed feelings about this movie from Singaporeans.

by Anonymousreply 53August 10, 2018 12:58 AM

[quote]She reminded me of Jennifer Aniston: fine on a TV sitcom (bubbly, perky, etc.)

Constance Wu is anything BUT bubbly and perky on her sitcom.

by Anonymousreply 54August 10, 2018 1:06 AM

I wasn't a big fan of Fresh off the Boat, but I thought Wu was the best thing on it. Would be disappointing if she isn't as good in the movie.

by Anonymousreply 55August 10, 2018 1:08 AM

R53, not just Malay, but Iban too!

by Anonymousreply 56August 10, 2018 2:13 AM

The title should have been "Crazy Boring Stereotypes."

by Anonymousreply 57August 10, 2018 7:06 PM

Does Gemma Chan have a big role? I really like her.

by Anonymousreply 58August 10, 2018 7:11 PM

[quote] The ending should be so suspenseful! I wonder if they get together at the end!

If it's like the book, it will end in a gory bloodbath.

by Anonymousreply 59August 10, 2018 7:14 PM

I hear Casey Affleck will be in the cast as Constance Wu's other love interest!

by Anonymousreply 60August 10, 2018 7:16 PM

[quote]Does Gemma Chan have a big role? I really like her.

Not really, which was disappointing. I, too, really enjoy her work.

by Anonymousreply 61August 10, 2018 7:21 PM

Just go to Asia and you will see that they all bleach their skin, and they even put on foundation that is several shades lighter.

So sad they hate themselves

by Anonymousreply 62August 10, 2018 11:16 PM

R62 = Beyonce

by Anonymousreply 63August 10, 2018 11:54 PM

r62 isn't it ironic that Asians are so enamored with whitening their skin while white Americans spend so much trying to tan?

by Anonymousreply 64August 11, 2018 5:27 PM

[quote]Henry Golding is lovely to look at.

He’s considered the most good looking Asian man of all time.

by Anonymousreply 65August 11, 2018 5:30 PM

Yes r36, as if the elite Chinese haven't made their wealth from slave labor ...

by Anonymousreply 66August 11, 2018 5:38 PM

Henry pings.

by Anonymousreply 67August 11, 2018 6:00 PM

Boring movie with boring trailer. Pc crap movie with stereotypical dialogue and settings about rich asians in asia. It is quiet an accomplishment when minorities start making mediocre movies.

by Anonymousreply 68August 11, 2018 6:13 PM

[quote] isn't it ironic that Asians are so enamored with whitening their skin while white Americans spend so much trying to tan?

It would be if this were still the 1980s when Americans were still obsessively getting tans. Since then we've learned about skin cancer and the sun's effect on aging skin.

by Anonymousreply 69August 11, 2018 7:35 PM

R62, R64, Asians are "enamored" of whitening their skin because it is a mark of their social standing. Lighter skin Asians are usually upper class, darker skin are the labor force. Middle class Asians obviously don't want to be associated with labor, so they use bleaching creams to emulate the upper classes. This isn't exclusively an Asian thing. You'll find it in black and Latino communities.

[quote]He’s considered the most good looking Asian man of all time.

Please. There are plenty of GL Asian men.

by Anonymousreply 70August 11, 2018 8:45 PM

R64 The pale skin Chinese women want is not exactly like what white people have. And they would be horrified by the freckles that some pale white people get.

by Anonymousreply 71August 11, 2018 10:51 PM

To be fair, the pale skin thing has nothing to do with wanting to look Caucasian. See r70.

by Anonymousreply 72August 11, 2018 10:56 PM

[quote][R64] The pale skin Chinese women want is not exactly like what white people have. And they would be horrified by the freckles that some pale white people get.

Well, if you had spent all winter rubbing buttermilk on someone's skin to lighten it, you'd be horrified at their being out in the sun and getting freckles, too.

by Anonymousreply 73August 11, 2018 11:02 PM

R72 Actually, I think the desire for paleness evolved from an obsession about women being kept away from the outside world like the obedient daughter/dutiful wife that Confucian tradition idealizes.

by Anonymousreply 74August 11, 2018 11:05 PM

There's a Filipino in the cast. Kris Aquino is the daughter of former Philippine President Cory Aquino, whose husband's killing in the 1970s led to the People Power revolution that ousted Marcos.

by Anonymousreply 75August 11, 2018 11:09 PM

Russell Wong in his prime could've given him a run for his money.

by Anonymousreply 76August 11, 2018 11:12 PM

I’d it greenlighted or greenlit?

by Anonymousreply 77August 11, 2018 11:21 PM

He doesn't even usually make the top 10 - even if we exclude Indians, like Hrithik Roshan, and other half-Asians like Ian Anthony Dale, Scott Neslage, or Hideo Muraoka.

He is very goodlooking nonetheless, but not deserving of the hyperbole.

by Anonymousreply 78August 11, 2018 11:25 PM

R78, or Keanu Reeves in his prime.

by Anonymousreply 79August 11, 2018 11:28 PM

The pale skin that Asians want is smooth and luminous, with a pink hue underneath the light tone. It is what older writing termed as fair complexion. This is definitely not what the average white people have, which is pasty and marred with freckles and spots.

by Anonymousreply 80August 11, 2018 11:33 PM

I want to see it. It looks good to me.

by Anonymousreply 81August 11, 2018 11:40 PM

I love to look at good looking Asian men and I believe this move has them.

by Anonymousreply 82August 11, 2018 11:42 PM

This movie sucks ass.

I don't know who the demographic would be for this dog crap.

by Anonymousreply 83August 12, 2018 12:10 AM

teen girls and fraus.

by Anonymousreply 84August 12, 2018 12:12 AM

[quote] He’s considered the most good looking Asian man of all time.

By whom, honey?

You?

by Anonymousreply 85August 12, 2018 12:14 AM

R83 Women, of course! It's partly a fairy tale story. Rachel finds out her fiancee is heir to some big Singaporean fortune with (kind of) evil rich in-laws ready to sabotage her happiness. Even though Rachel isn't white... she's a banana with all the generic American mannerism and attitude that non-Asian western audience can identify with.

by Anonymousreply 86August 12, 2018 12:17 AM

R70 is correct. It has to do with social class. It has NOTHING to do with wanting to be white. Ugh.

by Anonymousreply 87August 12, 2018 12:20 AM

But the question is: Why is "lighter" skin associated with wealth and a higher social standing?

by Anonymousreply 88August 12, 2018 12:24 AM

Because the wealthy don't/didn't have to work outside in the sun, r88

by Anonymousreply 89August 12, 2018 12:25 AM

R88, read previous posts! If you labored out in the fields, you would be tanned. If you're pampered and living the life of luxury, you're not outside in the sun. And there's also vanity. Sun=tan=wrinkles and sunspots on face.

by Anonymousreply 90August 12, 2018 12:27 AM

R89 That's mostly a Chinese attitude... for other Asians, it could be linked to colonization by Europeans.

by Anonymousreply 91August 12, 2018 12:29 AM

My bad, I didn't read through the whole thread. That does make sense. Apologies.

by Anonymousreply 92August 12, 2018 12:34 AM

Really, r91? These attitudes existed long before the Europeans showed up.

by Anonymousreply 93August 12, 2018 12:46 AM

China during the Han Dynasty (206 BC - 220 AD), had very strict beauty standards for women. The ideal woman had large, expressive eyes; small, red lips; pale skin; lustrous black hair that is to be loosely coiled above the head to give the appearance of extra height; finely shaped eyebrows; graceful fingers and arms; slender waist; tiny feet and a light elegant gait; soft, high pitched voice; and a fragrant body. These notions of feminine beauty spread throughout the Sinosphere (China, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Japan, Korea, Vietnam), influencing how beauty is perceived even today.

by Anonymousreply 94August 12, 2018 2:21 AM

because he looks like a white jock

by Anonymousreply 95August 12, 2018 2:50 AM

I'd like to see him in a white jock(strap) ... and inside a white jock.

by Anonymousreply 96August 12, 2018 2:58 AM

[quote]There's a Filipino in the cast. Kris Aquino is the daughter of former Philippine President Cory Aquino, whose husband's killing in the 1970s led to the People Power revolution that ousted Marcos.

There's more than one.

by Anonymousreply 97August 12, 2018 2:59 AM

Kris Aquino is one of the most reviled celebrities in the Philippines. She calls herself the Oprah Winfrey of the Philippines, but I don't think she gets as much repect. The woman is a tactless, opinionated loudmouth who frequently gets into twitter wars with other celebs and non fans. She just doesn't know when to shut up and keep her opinions to herself.

by Anonymousreply 98August 12, 2018 3:25 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 99August 12, 2018 3:27 AM

After Party:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 100August 12, 2018 4:18 AM

They hate freckles huh?

There's thousand of this fake freckles asian makeup tutorials on Youtube

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 101August 12, 2018 4:42 AM

Apparently, young Asian women find freckles cute, but to older generation Asians, freckles are blemishes to conceal.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 102August 12, 2018 4:49 AM

R101 A stupid fad among the stupid generation... They look fugly to any traditional Asians.

by Anonymousreply 103August 12, 2018 7:13 AM

[Quote] I think they should make a movie where some of the characters undergo Korean radical facial reconstruction. Kind of like that Stockard Channing flick The Girl Most Likely To. It could be. thriller or a black comedy.

There's a Korean horror movie about that but i can't remember the title.

[Quote] I'm going to see it for the hot Asian men!

So Daniel Henney is in it?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 104August 12, 2018 1:52 PM

R83: Maybe the same demographic that made the novels a bestseller

by Anonymousreply 105August 12, 2018 7:22 PM

Another example of minority guilt trip, so, like Black Panther, they went after an established IP, a bestselling novel to do it.

Looks horrible and drivel. Possibly a blockbuster hit.

by Anonymousreply 106August 12, 2018 7:25 PM

R106: Bestsellers are adapted all the time.

I didn't read the novel but the plot sounds like a comedy that plays with cliches. I'm on a book forum and the people who read the novel really liked it and find it very funny

by Anonymousreply 107August 12, 2018 7:28 PM

I personally think the producers (all Asians) shot themselves in the foot with this one, instead of selling their IP to Netflix to get their investment back, they turned down the offer because they needed the movie to perform in theaters, as a political statement.

We'll see if that pays off, hopefully it does, but if it fails, it will be a good example on why you shouldn't mix your identity politics with business when you're the one paying for it.

by Anonymousreply 108August 12, 2018 8:00 PM

I think two of the three novels are on the NYT bestseller list on paperback. There's demand for the movie, of course the reception will vary a lot depending the quality of the film

by Anonymousreply 109August 12, 2018 8:14 PM

Well, at least they look more fun than those 50 Shades of Silly movies.

by Anonymousreply 110August 12, 2018 10:16 PM

I'll wait for the porn parody.

by Anonymousreply 111August 12, 2018 10:56 PM

R111 Horny Poor Asians?

by Anonymousreply 112August 12, 2018 11:40 PM

Crazy Naked Asians

by Anonymousreply 113August 12, 2018 11:41 PM

r108 Mulan should have been that political statement, as not only would it have gotten the support of the asian crowd, it would have attracted the women support group (see? women can be more powerful than even a prince!), not to mention the family crowd that Disney attracts.

by Anonymousreply 114August 13, 2018 1:42 PM

[quote]name-dropping and mindless consumption of luxury goods

That sounds good to me!

by Anonymousreply 115August 13, 2018 5:09 PM

"Another example of minority guilt trip, so, like Black Panther, they went after an established IP, a bestselling novel to do it."

Yawn, more name calling from an idiot Republican. Can't people make movies about minorities with some idiot like you whining about a guilt trip? Are all movies supposed to be about white people? Do you object to gay movies, too?

by Anonymousreply 116August 13, 2018 5:40 PM

Yeah, I didn’t really understand that post at R106. It sounds like a deplorable troll. How do these people find DL?

by Anonymousreply 117August 13, 2018 5:55 PM

If you block the deplorable a large chunk of the thread vanishes

by Anonymousreply 118August 13, 2018 6:00 PM

This is on track to debut with like $30 million - kind of a slap in the face for freeper OP and the tard at r108 going on about "identity politics"

by Anonymousreply 119August 16, 2018 7:53 PM

R119 The latest update at Deadline says its starting run out of steam even before the weekend. They now predict $23M-$25M and it might not be able to hold off The Meg for the top spot.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 120August 16, 2018 7:57 PM

The guy is not even cute ffs

by Anonymousreply 121August 16, 2018 8:07 PM

They should have cast the "Tiger Mom" in the lead role of "The Meg."

That would have been much more frightening, and we all know that Tiger Mom's mouth would have done way more damage than a giant shark.

by Anonymousreply 122August 16, 2018 8:10 PM

The books are fun reads but as a film, it just looks too Asian for most Americans, and too pretentious for most Asians.

by Anonymousreply 123August 16, 2018 8:13 PM

Apparently even asians aren't immune to the cultural appropriation accusations as black Twitter is going after Awkwafina pretty hard.

by Anonymousreply 124August 16, 2018 8:19 PM

I really liked the movie.

The setup in the beginning with Rachel Chu being an Econ professor with a specialty in games theory leads to a showdown with the matriarch Eleanor in a Mah Jong parlor.

Is there any Asian here who can interpret the game?

It appears that Eleanor won the game, then Rachel flips over her tiles and it APPEARS to me, a white guy, that Rachel LET Eleanor win.

The confrontation was about Rachel leaving Nick and that all the happiness and family that Nick would ever have would be as a result of Rachel's selflessness.

The win said it all, I GAVE IT TO YOU. Amirite?

When the big honking emerald ring popped out of the ring box, I burst into tears. (love movies like this)

But unlike an American version of this movie, when the camera panned over Eleanor at the engagement party, the look was not one of "so us poor girls can make it work", but one of cold and calculated , "you won". THAT was unexpected.

Yeoh was AMAZING. Our Emperor is, AMAZING. But boy can she do cold well.

by Anonymousreply 125August 16, 2018 8:24 PM

It sounds perfectly boring, R125.

Will be sure not to see this movie.

by Anonymousreply 126August 16, 2018 8:29 PM

And there IS life after Glee for Harry Schum Jr.

Hottie...

by Anonymousreply 127August 16, 2018 8:31 PM

Question, who was the woman sitting alone up front during the wedding?

by Anonymousreply 128August 17, 2018 9:53 PM

r124 Black Twitter going after a minority of a different race...

This is a surprise why?

by Anonymousreply 129August 18, 2018 12:37 AM

r129 = Trumpster who goes after black people

by Anonymousreply 130August 18, 2018 2:12 AM

[quote] it just looks too Asian for most Americans, and too pretentious for most Asians.

All Asian cast in a Hollywood movie. It will rake in billions in Asia alone.

by Anonymousreply 131August 18, 2018 2:21 AM

Umm...R124 have you heard her speak when she is in "character"?

by Anonymousreply 132August 18, 2018 2:29 AM

I liked it. The wedding scene brought a tear to my eye.

And I totally want to visit Singapore someday soon.

by Anonymousreply 133August 18, 2018 2:50 AM

Meh. As a part-Asian, I found the movie boring.

But, REPRESENTATION! REPRESENTATION!

And don't ask me to explain the inner workings of mah-jong (I expect you to pay me for my emotional labor!)

by Anonymousreply 134August 18, 2018 5:53 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 135August 18, 2018 6:23 AM

Seems that OP is Crazy White Stupid.

by Anonymousreply 136August 18, 2018 6:24 AM

I really liked it! The theater was packed and not just Asian people. It was really very good.

by Anonymousreply 137August 18, 2018 6:34 AM

A lot of my co-workers saw it and they said it was really good. I might see it this weekend.

by Anonymousreply 138August 18, 2018 6:46 AM

R127 You didn't watch Shadowhunters?

by Anonymousreply 139August 18, 2018 2:48 PM

r139, no I did not.

r127

by Anonymousreply 140August 18, 2018 6:57 PM

it did way better than expected.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 141August 19, 2018 3:51 PM

That's great. I am sure it will be one of those films with legs, so I am betting there will not be a steep box office decline in its second weekend.

by Anonymousreply 142August 19, 2018 4:22 PM

I prefer Big Trouble In Little China.

by Anonymousreply 143August 19, 2018 4:24 PM

so who's out of touch now OP?

by Anonymousreply 144August 19, 2018 5:00 PM

Yeah, OP and the identity politics troll are looking pretty silly now.

by Anonymousreply 145August 19, 2018 8:27 PM

I loved it, not because I am Asian. Ha. Singapore looks lovely, and there are lots of hot guys.

My favorite guy was Astrid's cheating husband, who I hear is not really cheating. He has a great bod and look.

by Anonymousreply 146August 19, 2018 8:32 PM

It's my Big Fat Asian Wedding.

It will have legs.

by Anonymousreply 147August 19, 2018 8:37 PM

R145 I honestly don't understand why they are so concerned and bitter about this movie as if it's going to ruin & diminish the other 600+ movies that hollywood makes this year.

by Anonymousreply 148August 19, 2018 8:44 PM

Ross Bultler- "I could have been the male lead in Crazy Rich Asians"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 149August 19, 2018 8:45 PM

R149 I'm so glad he wasn't, he's hot, but he has none of Henry's charm.

by Anonymousreply 150August 19, 2018 8:53 PM

r102 "Asians like freckles?"

Only those Asian-Westerners trying in their misguided ways to imitate the whites. Girls living in China, Hong Kong, Japan and Korea etc fear freckles like the plague because people recognize sun-damaged means ugly.

by Anonymousreply 151August 19, 2018 8:59 PM

Being out in the sun also means that you are a peasant.

by Anonymousreply 152August 19, 2018 9:02 PM

R151 like R102 said it's becoming popular and trendy with some younger generations who are, thanks to the internet and the rise of kpop, becoming more westernized. Last year there was a whole trend in kpop with the cuter/aeygo looking stars having faux freckles.

by Anonymousreply 153August 19, 2018 9:12 PM

I watched them all on the press junkets on all the late night talk shows and they were all shiny, pretty, and tepid.

by Anonymousreply 154August 19, 2018 9:13 PM

R154 yeah i've watched a couple of videos now where Constance Wu clearly is getting bored with having to answer the same old questions in the same way, i think the publicists are really making sure they stay on message & stick to the prepared answers.

by Anonymousreply 155August 19, 2018 9:24 PM

Who cares? I just want to see it because the guy looks yummy.

by Anonymousreply 156August 19, 2018 9:28 PM

R156 Welcome to the world of Rom-coms buddy, you think Matthew McConaughey was cast for the all those movies in the early 2000s because of his acting ability?

by Anonymousreply 157August 19, 2018 9:34 PM

How embarrassing for OP.

by Anonymousreply 158August 19, 2018 9:41 PM

Who said he was, R157? (although I never saw the attraction, personally).

Yes, I understand the genre thoroughly.

Again, I only intend to see this because the guy in this is hot.

by Anonymousreply 159August 19, 2018 9:43 PM

R159 oh, sorry, i thought you were being sarcastic with the whole 'most gays and most fraus' bit.

by Anonymousreply 160August 19, 2018 9:48 PM

If that ~34-$35M number sustains, that will be enough to place in the top 10 romantic comedy opening weekends ever.

by Anonymousreply 161August 19, 2018 9:52 PM

R161 I think that number is for 5 days... not just the weekend.

by Anonymousreply 162August 19, 2018 10:02 PM

Yes, it's for the 5-days not weekend only. But it's going to be the coming weeks that will prove to be impressive.

by Anonymousreply 163August 20, 2018 1:19 AM

[quote]Being out in the sun also means that you are a peasant.

And what's wrong with being a peasant?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 164August 20, 2018 1:34 AM

Text me when Horse Hung Asian Jock Wars comes out.

by Anonymousreply 165August 20, 2018 1:36 AM

Too formulaic. It'll new a big hit.

by Anonymousreply 166August 20, 2018 1:51 AM

Wtf?

by Anonymousreply 167August 20, 2018 2:04 AM

Gemma went to Oxford with DL fave Riz Ahmed, Who knew!

Rumor is she's currently dating Dominic Cooper.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 168August 20, 2018 2:15 AM

Gemma sure towers over lil Riz.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 169August 20, 2018 2:17 AM

Just saw it and loved it. Constance Wu is a goddess. Awkwafina is hilarious. Henry Golding is gorgeous, as are Gemma Chan, Harry Shum Jr and the guy who plays Michael. Michelle Yeoh is visually very good but every damn line reading is flat. She’s an incredibly stiff actress. I remember her being bad in Memoirs of a Geisha, too. Maybe she’s better when she’s speaking Chinese. Anyway this is a hugely enjoyable romcom and I hope it’s a huge hit.

by Anonymousreply 170August 20, 2018 8:05 PM

R170 It appears to be a big box office hit I am going to see it this weekend.

by Anonymousreply 171August 20, 2018 8:15 PM

And the award for Achievement in Popular Film goes too...

by Anonymousreply 172August 20, 2018 10:28 PM

Michelle Yeoh is aging really well

by Anonymousreply 173August 20, 2018 11:21 PM

Rumor has it that “Crazy Rich Asians” is in the running for Best Picture for next year’s Oscars,

by Anonymousreply 174August 21, 2018 3:07 AM

Loved the books, all 3. Can't wait to see the movie.

by Anonymousreply 175August 21, 2018 3:12 AM

I saw it yesterday. It succeeds as a breezy summer rom-com; I generally enjoyed it. If you don't go in thinking it's going to be the best movie ever based on the hype, I think you'll enjoy it. It's flat it spots, and, of course, it's completely formulaic. But, I'm glad I saw it. The lead actor is a dud, IMO, though. But, the point is he's handsome.

While I have absolutely no issue with casting and no stake in how the movie presents -Asian-ness, I've read some interesting criticism and response to that criticism about (1) the ethnicity of some of the actors in the movie playing Chinese Singaporeans, and (2) how the movie overall doesn't show Singapore's diversity - the most direct attack being "it should be called Crazy Rich Light-skinned East Asians?" Again, I have no dog in the fight, but it goes to show you that these issues come up in every community.

For those of you who saw it, would an esteemed Asian family allow a Cousin Ollie - the "rainbow sheep" of the family?

by Anonymousreply 176August 21, 2018 3:56 AM

R172 I agree with you...this could win the new Oscar award next year. It's a fantastic, fun, well written movie. Awkwafina is fucking hillarious and is now a certified star. I loved loved loved this movie.

by Anonymousreply 177August 21, 2018 4:14 AM

Awkwafina is the best part.

by Anonymousreply 178August 21, 2018 4:25 AM

[quote]and too pretentious for most Asians.

Bahahahahahahaha!

by Anonymousreply 179August 21, 2018 4:32 AM

I live this film every single day -

by Anonymousreply 180August 21, 2018 4:33 AM

R180, as a coder you're around THAT level of wealthy Asians - we're talking way beyond 300k tech bros. What exactly do you see - lots of ostentatious spending and partying? Or do you work somewhere where the Asian elite actually are located and run the company?

by Anonymousreply 181August 21, 2018 4:37 AM

Michelle Yeoh gives a subtle, almost inscrutable performance. It is most Asian.

Where is the father, her husband, in this Big Fat Asian Wedding?

by Anonymousreply 182August 21, 2018 10:09 AM

R168 I thought Gemma was dating Jack Whitehall?

by Anonymousreply 183August 21, 2018 3:11 PM

[quote]As the two-hour film “Crazy Rich Asians” draws to a close, gentle guitar chords begin to play over its emotional final scenes. Within seconds, a soothing female voice joins in. She’s singing in Mandarin, but the melody is familiar. A few more seconds pass, and the realization dawns: It’s Coldplay’s hit song “Yellow.”

[quote]The movie is the first Hollywood studio film in 25 years to have an all-Asian cast and feature Asian Americans in lead roles, so it’s understandably generated worldwide excitement, earning accolades including “historic” and “a watershed moment for Asian representation.”

[quote]But since its U.S. release last week, the buzz surrounding the film isn’t just about its whopping $25.2 million opening weekend. Many reactions have focused on its soundtrack, a unique blend of multilingual songs, including classic Chinese hits and Asian covers of mainstream U.S. pop numbers. Though Coldplay’s Grammy-nominated love song isn’t the only English song to be adapted for the film — a Cantonese version of Madonna’s “Material Girl” is also featured — “Yellow” has swiftly become one of the movie’s most-talked-about moments.

more at link

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 184August 21, 2018 3:31 PM

R182, the mother mentions, in passing, that her husband is on a business trip in, I think, Shanghai.

by Anonymousreply 185August 21, 2018 4:53 PM

Race in terms of viewing. 41% white, 38% Asian, 18% Hispanics and 6% blacks. We recently saw how one of us was treated at the asian nail salon and we kept our money to ourselves. Black people don't play.

by Anonymousreply 186August 21, 2018 6:15 PM

Seemed pretty formulaic to me.

by Anonymousreply 187August 21, 2018 7:24 PM

I am obsessing over the Mahjong game and its cultural subtleties.

I am assuaged:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 188August 21, 2018 8:27 PM

r186 as if black people were going to watch this regardless of those "attacks"

by Anonymousreply 189August 21, 2018 11:26 PM

Thanks, r188. That was helpful.

by Anonymousreply 190August 21, 2018 11:35 PM

R183 Gemma and Jack broke up late 2017, I think.

by Anonymousreply 191August 22, 2018 12:57 AM

Would a wealthy Asian family support gay cousin Oliver?

by Anonymousreply 192August 22, 2018 12:57 AM

R188, great find. I've a played mahjong a handful of times and understood Rachel gave up the winning tile to Eleanor, but definitely wouldn't have understood all of the details. The blog does a great job.

by Anonymousreply 193August 22, 2018 1:13 AM

[quote] publicists are really making sure they stay on message & stick to the prepared answers

How very... asian.

[quote] Gemma went to Oxford with DL fave Riz Ahmed, Who knew! Rumor is she's currently dating Dominic Cooper.

Wow, I never pegged Dominic for a closet case, but if he's dating HER, then he must be in the closet.

[quote] I thought Gemma was dating Jack Whitehall?

You didn't think she'd actually date an asian, did you?

[quote] Rumor has it that “Crazy Rich Asians” is in the running for Best Picture for next year’s Oscars

Thanks for the laugh.

It'll be nominated right along side the next installment of "High School Musical," or one of the sequels to "Scream."

As if the Academy could even be bothered with this pile of cow manure.

by Anonymousreply 194August 22, 2018 1:23 AM

R194, you seem oddly annoyed that the film is doing well at the box office?

by Anonymousreply 195August 22, 2018 3:52 AM

r194= homophobe and racist Mark Wahlberg, pissed off that his latest flop Mile 22 lost to Crazy Rich Asians and will not be a franchise.

by Anonymousreply 196August 22, 2018 3:59 AM

Why does everyone keep saying it's the first major Hollywood movie with an all Asian cast since Joy Luck Club?

Memoirs Of A Geisha came out in 2005 and had an all Asian cast.

by Anonymousreply 197August 22, 2018 4:03 AM

R197 I believe it's the first Asian-American cast since JLC. Most of Geisha's cast weren't American.

by Anonymousreply 198August 22, 2018 4:16 AM

Who is out of touch now, OP?

by Anonymousreply 199August 22, 2018 5:54 AM

I was looking forward to seeing the film, but I had to walk out around the Mahjong part. It was too much fluff. Very pretty picture, but I was so bored.

by Anonymousreply 200August 22, 2018 8:09 AM

R200, you walked out the last 10 minutes of the movie?

by Anonymousreply 201August 22, 2018 8:14 AM

I hate to be that person, but there's no monolithic "Asian" identity. Japanese, Chinese, Taiwanese, Koreans, Southeast Asian (overseas) Chinese, Malaysia, Indonesians, etc. are very different from one another and don't think of themselves as part of one Asian people. That idea is very politically charged for historical reasons, far more so than the idea of a one Europe. The reason is that Japan tried to unite them all under the banner of the Japanese empire.

Moreover all these peoples have their own national cinemas, some of which are great. Only from the outside do they all seem part of one Asia. I am not interested in this movie for that reason. It sounds like a caricature.

by Anonymousreply 202August 22, 2018 8:28 AM

Why didn't Sandra Oh get the lead?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 203August 22, 2018 8:41 AM

This movie is much needed. I probably will not watch it anytime soon, but it's an obvious case of easing the general public into something """new""" with candy and fluff so they're more open to traverse into more contentious and "avant" subject matter. An all Asian cast of a Wes Anderson film would be a hit, too, IMO.

by Anonymousreply 204August 22, 2018 9:11 AM

R202 how did the African American identify form? Africa has so many countries.

by Anonymousreply 205August 22, 2018 9:26 AM

R202 Ummm. These peoples and them? you sound like you're whitesplaining, please don't.

The book/movie never pretends that there is a 'monolithic "Asian" identity' (aside from the title) & and no point does it ever pretend Asian people are united as one, infact it does the opposite. It's about a very specific clique of extremely rich Chinese Singaporeans and an abc woman who is thrown into their world whom they instantly don't like. The characters look like caricatures because they are caricatures, it's satire, & it's self aware, the main character at one point says she feels like she's in a soap opera. People are looking way too deeply into what is just a fun, silly rom-com. I don't remember people being this picky about Black Panther, why do people feel the need to rail on this movie so much when they haven't even seen it.

by Anonymousreply 206August 22, 2018 11:03 AM

There should have been an earthquake/tsunami at the end. Then Godzilla emerges to trample the last few survivors.

by Anonymousreply 207August 22, 2018 11:20 AM

[quote]how did the African American identify form? Africa has so many countries.

We're not a monolith so I can't speak for everyone but we didn't have an African identity since that was erased during slavery. Africans from/living in Africa often sees themselves different from African Americans and hate that we use African in that term anyway.

Africans have a separate identity though I don't think my Nigerian friend think he's too different from my Ghanaian friend.

by Anonymousreply 208August 22, 2018 2:10 PM

The sequel is coming! Suck it haters! “Crazy Rich Asians 2”!!!

I loved this film. Great cast, amazing clothes, exotic locales and fabulous jewels. I can’t wait for more. The detractors above need to stop trying to make this film into more than it ever wanted or aspired to be. Just go with it or stay home and let the rest of us enjoy it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 209August 22, 2018 2:13 PM

R191 Thanks.

R194 I don't know much about her. Is there some rule that states she can't date a white guy?

by Anonymousreply 210August 22, 2018 3:14 PM

The author is wanted for draft dodging!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 211August 22, 2018 3:33 PM

Make him president of Singapore.

by Anonymousreply 212August 22, 2018 3:38 PM

I'm seeing it tonight after the gym. Looks good.

by Anonymousreply 213August 22, 2018 4:32 PM

What! Crazy out of touch Hollywood doing a sequel?

by Anonymousreply 214August 22, 2018 7:18 PM

Kevin Kwan is a kween, right? I heard him on Fresh Air yesterday and he sure did sound it. BTW, it was one of Terry's worst interviews in a while.

by Anonymousreply 215August 22, 2018 9:39 PM

This insight into the machinations of a Romeo/Juliette culture will make tons of money and this time that Vardalos chick won't be the one cashing in.

Is Crazy Emaciated Ethiopians next?

by Anonymousreply 216August 22, 2018 10:54 PM

[quote]you walked out the last 10 minutes of the movie?

Yes. It was just too monotonous for me, and it couldn't keep my interest. I knew they were going to end up together, so I had to cut my losses. I was hoping for laughs and something different.

by Anonymousreply 217August 23, 2018 5:00 AM

Not everyone is happy with Awkwafina's "black-acting" for her movie roles.

[Quote]Although in the book the film is based on, Peik Lin is written as a bubbly, rich Singaporean who went to Stanford, Awkwafina’s Peik Lin is a minstrel-esque performance of the “sassy Black sidekick” caricature, complete with the actress speaking in forced African American Vernacular English (AAVE). White and Asian-American audiences’ overwhelmingly positive reception of Awkwafina’s performance evinces multiple truths.

[Quote]Rolling Stone’s glowing profile of Awkwafina seems to reveal that director John M. Chu implicitly chose Awkwafina in an attempt to rewrite Peik Lin as a trope. Chu said that he specifically cast her based on her YouTube videos, in which she performs her Asian gangster persona, raps and speaks in AAVE. It’s not suprising; this disturbing slapstick Blackface routine has single-handedly propelled her career. She has appeared in three films—”Neighbors 2: Sorority Rising,” “Oceans 8” and now “Crazy Rich Asians.” In each one she plays—you guessed it—the same exact sassy sidekick.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 218August 24, 2018 3:37 AM

It's not like she said n**ger. Y'all need to relax!

by Anonymousreply 219August 24, 2018 3:40 AM

Akwafina is a rapper. They got an urban Asian.

by Anonymousreply 220August 24, 2018 3:59 AM

The movie should have been entitled "Crazy Boring Typical Caricatures."

With Part II coming in 2019.

by Anonymousreply 221August 24, 2018 5:48 AM

I agree.

by Anonymousreply 222August 24, 2018 6:59 AM

R215: oh honey Yes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 223August 24, 2018 8:07 AM

A bit of Glam:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 224August 24, 2018 8:46 AM

Horrible

by Anonymousreply 225August 24, 2018 9:27 AM

At least have a good soundtrack

by Anonymousreply 226August 24, 2018 2:03 PM

[Quote] At least have a good soundtrack

The only good thing about the Fifty Shades trilogy.

by Anonymousreply 227August 24, 2018 2:09 PM

R226 The Film score is also really good, i like how is sounds very old-hollywood:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 228August 24, 2018 2:23 PM

I'll be going just to see that hot Henry Golding.

by Anonymousreply 229August 24, 2018 2:47 PM

Is Brian Tyler gay?

by Anonymousreply 230August 24, 2018 7:45 PM

As an eldergay I am looking for a Mahjong league.

If lesbians can dominate soft ball, TOQs can take over Mahjong...

by Anonymousreply 231August 24, 2018 7:48 PM

Tyler is straight. Asian wife.

by Anonymousreply 232August 24, 2018 7:51 PM

R231, check Mah Jong meetups for your city.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 233August 24, 2018 7:55 PM

[quote] Tyler is straight. Asian wife.

That actually means he's gay and in the closet.

by Anonymousreply 234August 24, 2018 7:57 PM

Thanks r233!

by Anonymousreply 235August 24, 2018 8:03 PM

I caught that interview too R215 and also was struck how it Terri seemed to be not on her A-game during it.

by Anonymousreply 236August 24, 2018 8:46 PM

[quote] was struck how it Terri seemed to be not on her A-game during it

She was probably bored to death.

by Anonymousreply 237August 24, 2018 9:41 PM

How come most of the characters have western names?

by Anonymousreply 238August 25, 2018 7:05 AM

They are global Singaporeans.

by Anonymousreply 239August 25, 2018 7:25 AM

At birth?

It contradicts what was said earlier in the movie, when the American-Chinese woman was told by her mother she was a different type of Chinese from them. Apparently, she isn't.

by Anonymousreply 240August 25, 2018 9:09 AM

Thanks r232.

by Anonymousreply 241August 25, 2018 1:13 PM

Unheard of 4% drop in weekend 2. Could do $200 domestic.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 242August 25, 2018 2:09 PM

Really, R242. That really rare. They're predicting that on Friday's numbers, but still. 40% is common and 25% dropoff is considered good.

by Anonymousreply 243August 25, 2018 2:19 PM

I saw it yesterday. It was quite good. Awkafina, Ken Jeong, and Awkafina’s crazy Mom Almost steal the show. It’s a rom-com, but there are some heavy themes and moments too. Henry Golding is hot, classy eye candy. So is Chris Pang.

by Anonymousreply 244August 25, 2018 2:24 PM

Henry is boss

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 245August 25, 2018 2:27 PM

Hip hop is huge in Asia. Awkawfina is a hip hop artist. Ignorant people kick rocks

by Anonymousreply 246August 25, 2018 2:29 PM

A huge late summer hit

by Anonymousreply 247August 26, 2018 12:16 AM

R247, all the racist trolls on DL must be DYING LOL!

by Anonymousreply 248August 26, 2018 12:19 AM

The sequel should be ""Crazy Asia Argento."

by Anonymousreply 249August 26, 2018 12:33 AM

I hope the sequel is Crazier Richer Asians...

by Anonymousreply 250August 26, 2018 12:34 AM

r249 oh, you bitch.

by Anonymousreply 251August 26, 2018 2:20 AM

Crazier Richer Asianier Asians

Won't they just name the sequels after the books?

by Anonymousreply 252August 26, 2018 2:23 AM

Pierre Png

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 253August 26, 2018 2:30 AM

What is this movie even about?

by Anonymousreply 254August 26, 2018 7:15 AM

Pierre unfortunately has aged quite a bit lately; this is from 5 years ago:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 255August 26, 2018 7:48 AM

[quote]What is this movie even about?

Woman finds out her bf is rich, when she is asked to be his date at a wedding in his country, Singapore. Then, you see scene after scene of crazy rich Asians. Since the girl is broke, his mother doesn't like her and gives her the side eye. Eventually, boy and girl walk off in the sunshine.

by Anonymousreply 256August 26, 2018 7:59 AM

Just watched the movie and l love it. To all the racist trolls ,the movie might gross more than $100m

by Anonymousreply 257August 26, 2018 8:30 AM

People miss rom-coms, or at least they miss movies without superheroes

by Anonymousreply 258August 26, 2018 9:29 AM

r256, It's Romeo and Juliette where the story focuses on Romeo's mom and Juliette coming from the poor side of the tracks. Juliette turns out more noble than the noble. Romeo's mother eats shit. Happy ending.

by Anonymousreply 259August 26, 2018 9:31 AM

Great movie

by Anonymousreply 260August 26, 2018 12:02 PM

257 nowhere near that. It took five days to make a little over thirty million. It is a modest hit movie.

by Anonymousreply 261August 26, 2018 12:36 PM

R261 = idiot

The movie will have made 77 million by today

by Anonymousreply 262August 26, 2018 1:38 PM

It will make over $100 million

by Anonymousreply 263August 26, 2018 1:41 PM

But idiot 262. The movie has not made anywhere near 77 million in the states. So what is your point. It is a modest hit.

by Anonymousreply 264August 26, 2018 2:05 PM

Either 262 is Asian or a pr rep for the film. If the movie will make that much all the Asian blogs and even yahoo will be reporting it. It is just an overhyped pc movie.

by Anonymousreply 265August 26, 2018 2:11 PM

R264 = Trig Palin

by Anonymousreply 266August 26, 2018 2:14 PM

With Ding Dong Louie in the Oval Office, I have zero interest in watching a movie that romanticizes the super-rich.

by Anonymousreply 267August 26, 2018 2:36 PM

[quote]But idiot 262. The movie has not made anywhere near 77 million in the states. So what is your point. It is a modest hit.

Are you a dumbass who can’t look things up or face reality? The movie has already made 77 million in the states ($35 million first weekend, $25 million this weekend, $17 million during the weekdays). It’ll be over $100 million by next week. Everywhere is reporting that it is a HUGE hit for a little movie that costs $30 million. Only you are saying it is a modest hit. What agenda do you have?

by Anonymousreply 268August 26, 2018 4:18 PM

R268 Exactly! What the hell do people have against this movie that they don’t want it to be a success? It’s harmless light fun! The movie is a hit by any measure. Anyone saying otherwise is crazy ignorant stupid!

by Anonymousreply 269August 26, 2018 4:26 PM

R269, just a few racists trolls who can't stand the fact that the movie is a success. Although there are quite a few on this site.

by Anonymousreply 270August 26, 2018 4:56 PM

Poor racists... the movie will make at least 100 million, probably closer to 150 million.

by Anonymousreply 271August 26, 2018 4:58 PM

Yeah right. I am just seeing it here. The imaginary 100 million.

by Anonymousreply 272August 26, 2018 5:01 PM

[quote]Being out in the sun also means that you are a peasant. And what's wrong with being a peasant?

Life is often so unpleasant

You must know that, as a peasant

by Anonymousreply 273August 26, 2018 5:18 PM

This movie will be lucky to make $50 million much less $100 million. Keep dreaming, Ching Chong’s.

by Anonymousreply 274August 26, 2018 5:28 PM

R268,r274 why are you arguing with yourself?

by Anonymousreply 275August 26, 2018 6:12 PM

Unsure if the guy is a troll or an idiot, but here’s proof:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 276August 26, 2018 6:12 PM

I just saw it and thought it was fantastic. Very funny, great cast (the leading man is quite easy on the eyes), and very stylishly-made.

by Anonymousreply 277August 26, 2018 6:21 PM

R276, that link does NOT say it made $77 million. Far from it.

by Anonymousreply 278August 26, 2018 6:45 PM

"Greek Wedding" made well over $200 million.

by Anonymousreply 279August 26, 2018 6:59 PM

I just saw it and it lived up with the hype imo. Basically a simple rom com with a smart script and gorgeous scenes. Funny and witty. GG awards will probably love it but and maybe a 'Best Popular film' nominee at the Oscars.

by Anonymousreply 280August 26, 2018 7:29 PM

R278 - check out the numbers here.

Also, from an international standpoint, where it has recorded $730,000, it has only opened in Italy, The Netherlands, and the UAE.

This is going to be huge, probably $225-$250 million.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 281August 26, 2018 7:40 PM

It says $76 million, not $77 million.

by Anonymousreply 282August 26, 2018 7:47 PM

To the haterz..

Bok Bok Bitch!

by Anonymousreply 283August 26, 2018 7:49 PM

Not liking a movie doesn't make you a racist. But using an accusation of racism just to leverage your opinion in an argument? THAT is racist.

by Anonymousreply 284August 26, 2018 7:50 PM

It’s a great movie

by Anonymousreply 285August 26, 2018 8:27 PM

R282, it's an estimate bc weekend box office totals haven't been accounted for yet. It's still Sunday. Keep worshipping Alex Jones! We will keep laughing at you lol.

by Anonymousreply 286August 27, 2018 1:57 AM

Saw it today. Theater was surprisingly packed, which was annoying since I figured it'd be less crowded today. It was pretty good! I'd probably buy it on Amazon streaming. It's a cheer-me-up kind of movie for me.

by Anonymousreply 287August 27, 2018 4:44 AM

Pierre Png (Michael in the movie) is hotter than the lead actor.

by Anonymousreply 288August 27, 2018 4:53 AM

R274, you’re a pathetic deplorable

by Anonymousreply 289August 27, 2018 5:13 AM

Lmao , racists trolls are in denial. First black panther , now crazy rich Asians. It’s a tough year for racist trolls

by Anonymousreply 290August 27, 2018 5:14 AM

Is Pierre the cheating dude in the shower scene!?

by Anonymousreply 291August 27, 2018 11:49 AM

R291 Yes

by Anonymousreply 292August 27, 2018 2:08 PM

I am black idiot so I am not a deplorable. It is a scrappy pc movie with predictable plot line.

by Anonymousreply 293August 27, 2018 2:19 PM

R290 is touching himself.

Beware little blonde girls.

by Anonymousreply 294August 27, 2018 2:20 PM

"CRA" tops box office again, with an extremely rare 6% drop.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 295August 27, 2018 3:26 PM

[quote]I am black idiot

Why yes, you are a black idiot.

by Anonymousreply 296August 27, 2018 3:53 PM

Huge

by Anonymousreply 297August 27, 2018 4:14 PM

Jesus, what mess is on here screaming "racism!!" at people for not liking a MOVIE? Clutch those pearls, Mary!!

by Anonymousreply 298August 27, 2018 4:16 PM

296 is an asian cunt with small dick. The only reason he is attacking me is because he cant measure his tiny dick to most black men penis size. he hates himself for that.

by Anonymousreply 299August 27, 2018 4:34 PM

R299 is not only an idiot, he’s a racist too.

by Anonymousreply 300August 27, 2018 4:36 PM

since you called me a black idiot, you deserve the ridicule. At least i am not a rice queen with a tiny dick.

by Anonymousreply 301August 27, 2018 4:45 PM

I think you called yourself a black idiot, not R296. Now take your black idiotic self and get out of this thread. You're not welcome here anymore.

by Anonymousreply 302August 27, 2018 4:53 PM

I’m A young black dude who loves Asian men

by Anonymousreply 303August 27, 2018 5:07 PM

"I am black idiot so I am not a deplorable."

by Anonymousreply 304August 27, 2018 5:10 PM

302. who the fuck are you to dictate who can post on this thread and who cannot. that is why your kind are on the bottom of the dating pool. most women and gay men do not want feminine looking, hairless, rice eating with a tiny dick.

by Anonymousreply 305August 27, 2018 5:27 PM

I really enjoyed the movie.

I am waiting for My Big Fat Lakota Sweat Lodge and Crazy Emaciated Eritreans down the pike.

by Anonymousreply 306August 27, 2018 6:54 PM

R305, I can only imagine what you look like lol.

by Anonymousreply 307August 28, 2018 2:58 AM

305. At least I am not a tiny dick, hairless, rice eating Asian.

by Anonymousreply 308August 28, 2018 3:38 AM

Gemma is a beautiful woman.

by Anonymousreply 309August 30, 2018 2:21 AM

The film is just a soap opera, light and breezy and treads no new ground.

But I totally understand WHY this film needed to be made and why there is a great interest in the film and the novels the film is based on.

by Anonymousreply 310August 30, 2018 2:26 AM

I enjoyed it, too.

Yes, the plot was cliche and there were many cliche characters, but it was still fun. I liked the main female character's blonde-haired Asian friend and her family. I also agree it's time we see more Asians in the movies. I'm from San Francisco and have had many Asian friends, love literature by Asian-American authors, Asian history, food, and all the other incredible contributions Asians make. I've been in many Asian homes, worked with lots of Asians and they are no different than anyone else. Cultural differences for sure, but such good people (except for the criminal element which every ethnicity has) and very diverse. But the super rich ones, and we have many on the Peninsula, can be ruthless business people. I enjoyed the peak into that life.

by Anonymousreply 311August 30, 2018 2:30 AM

Loved it. One of my favorite movies of the year.

by Anonymousreply 312August 30, 2018 9:11 AM

Less than two weeks in and it has generated over $83 million on a reported $30M budget. It's a wild success.

by Anonymousreply 313August 30, 2018 9:12 AM

What is with the disgusting and ignorant racist trolls on this thread? Our country has turned into Saudi Arabia...or Russia...or worse.

by Anonymousreply 314August 30, 2018 9:27 AM

R314, you do realize it's DL right? Gay and racist is not mutually exclusive.

by Anonymousreply 315August 31, 2018 5:37 AM

Disappointment in others bad' behavior that is justified by identity is not always racist.

by Anonymousreply 316August 31, 2018 1:37 PM

Lol this movie was junk food. Why are all of you heralding junk food? Get some taste and self respect.

by Anonymousreply 317August 31, 2018 2:06 PM

I never saw the movie, but the description of the mahjong scene would make it worth it.

I really like that sort of thing. It reminds me of the lace purchasing scene in Casablanca where the scene isn't about what it seems to be.

by Anonymousreply 318August 31, 2018 2:13 PM

[quote] the description of the mahjong scene would make it worth it

Thanks for chiming in, grandma!

by Anonymousreply 319August 31, 2018 3:11 PM

R318 That scene was quite satisfying... spunky ingenue gets one on the scary dragon lady.

by Anonymousreply 320August 31, 2018 8:47 PM

R316, you seem to have some strange interest in this thread.

by Anonymousreply 321September 1, 2018 12:19 AM

Fucking niggers

by Anonymousreply 322September 1, 2018 3:33 AM

I smelled jealousy from some racists in this thread. What gives? Fuck off already. You are fucking ignorant and annoying

by Anonymousreply 323September 1, 2018 3:48 AM

It was a good, movie. I'll be honest and say I loved watching the lady do all that shopping! Those fucking earrings were beyond beautiful. The actress is stunning and couldn't for the life of me remember where I had seen her before. I came here and voila! Humans! She looked really beautiful here.

Singapore looks amazing! I loved the friends family, now they were nice plus they had money as well. Not as much as the Young Family, of course, but they were definitely well-off.

I didn't get that mahjong scene until I read that article. The only mahjong I know is that ridiculous app that puts cutesy items on the tiles and you have to match up the pairs to get to the golden tiles at the bottom.

I'm glad it's making money. Haters (and racists) can take a seat.

by Anonymousreply 324September 1, 2018 6:21 AM

Interesting how they are saying that there needs to be more Asian movies with Asian characters (read: only Chinese). However, most of the women with the biggest roles are all with Caucasian men.

by Anonymousreply 325September 1, 2018 6:45 AM

R324 Interestingly, the mahjong scene was not in the book. It was added by the scriptwriters to give a final confrontation between Rachel and Eleanor. Also, Nick and Rachel did not have an engagement party in Singapore like the one at the end of the movie. They went back to the States estranged from Nick's family. But overall, this adaptation is pretty close to the book on major points.

by Anonymousreply 326September 1, 2018 6:51 AM

Another fantastic hold (-6%)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 327September 1, 2018 8:10 AM

Saw it the other night here in Oz. Quite a packed cinema - and it was running in two different ones at the local multiplex - with lots of sessions....

Just gorgeous to look at! Singapore architecture looks extraordinary - some sci-fi-ish, beautiful, urban utopia. A feast to watch! As were the beautiful cast, their clothes, the art direction - and the food! Sound track also a delight - so many fab sounding Asian covers of songs we all know really well.

It was very, very funny on several occasions - and generally amusing and engaging throughout. It’s not high art - it’s a romcom! - but a very slick, well done romcom that’s pretty well-rounded and hits all the marks.

It really felt like a well-made Hollywood studio film of the thirties or forties - made by professionals who love the medium and know what they’re doing. And along with the glamour quotient - there’s plenty of bitchy fun and hot boys and girls to look at. I’m surprised there’s not more love for it here...?

I think I wanna see it again - such a feel-good movie! Hope it continues to power on at the box office!

by Anonymousreply 328September 1, 2018 8:44 AM

I enjoyed it. Want to go to singapore.

by Anonymousreply 329September 1, 2018 8:48 AM

R328 here - ditto R329! Def wanna go and see Singapore now! I’ve transited and Changi airport many times - but never thought to stopover and explore :(

The one thing they did downplay in the movie tho - is the heat and humidity. There’s the one scene when the heroine arrives at her bff’s house and the friends mother comes out and urges them to get inside into the air conditioning as Singapore is so hot. But other than that - we don’t get to see any reference to it. Certainly no one ever sweats or looks damp - even when outside. But it’s freaking hot there! I’ve a friend who regularly visits her expat sister there says some nights the temperature barely goes down and it feels like 120% humidity! So if you do get to visit - just be prepared for that!

by Anonymousreply 330September 1, 2018 9:00 AM

We used to make fun of rom coms but after all these years of comic book movies, it's nice to see a film with humans speaking of love.

by Anonymousreply 331September 1, 2018 12:29 PM

Poor Op, so out of touch.

by Anonymousreply 332September 1, 2018 12:50 PM

At least $150 million is likely

by Anonymousreply 333September 1, 2018 1:14 PM

As long as Asians have caucasian features and the guys big dicks, I say let them have their movie and enjoy! Now if it was the story of Long Duck Dong's family, I'll take a hard pass, no matter how rich they are. However, nothing is better than a film with crazy hot rich white people being naughty.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 334September 1, 2018 3:52 PM

R334, are u a 12 year old girl lol?

by Anonymousreply 335September 2, 2018 3:02 AM

[quote] most of the women with the biggest roles are all with Caucasian men

Just like in real life.

It's the only way they can hope to move up in the world.

by Anonymousreply 336September 2, 2018 4:36 AM

It seems OP is a SoCal lawyer.

[quote]“They are trying to get tutoring from me for law school,” the post says. “They keep telling me they are attending UCRA. I need to translate that in my head to deduce they are going to UCLA.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 337September 2, 2018 4:40 AM

R337, not very bright for an attorney. I wonder why she's not practicing and acting as a tutor. Regardless, she's going to regret those comments but you reap what you sow!

by Anonymousreply 338September 2, 2018 4:57 AM

Saw this today and, despite the formulaic rom-com plot, I thought it was fun. And from an Asian perspective, I thought Henry Golding looked more Malay than Chinese. He may be mixed race, but I see more Malay than Caucasian in his features. Akwafina looked more Korean, and Nico Santos, Filipino. But besides that, I'm glad a movie about Asians and starring Asians is a blockbuster hit.

Singapore. Goodness. Back in the 1970s, Singapore was a polluted, chaotic country with a Bangkok red-light district vibe. But decades of authoritarian rule by the PAP has turned it into a disciplined economic powerhouse. They've turned things around, but at what cost? For a look at the Singapore that was, get your hands on a copy of "Saint Jack" by Peter Bogdonovich, starring Ben Gazzara.

by Anonymousreply 339September 3, 2018 6:32 AM

R339 Awkwafina's mother was from South Korea but died when she was young, so she was raised by her Chinese American father and his family.

by Anonymousreply 340September 3, 2018 8:24 AM

I love that Awkwafina puts her grandmother in her videos.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 341September 3, 2018 8:38 PM

Wow...

'Crazy Rich Asians' Becomes Most Successful Studio Rom-Com in 9 Years at the U.S. Box Office

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 342September 4, 2018 4:21 AM

[quote] 'Crazy Rich Asians' Becomes Most Successful Studio Rom-Com in 9 Years at the U.S. Box Office

Probably only watched by asians in the US and around the world.

Truly, nobody else gives two fucks about those people or their dumbass movie.

by Anonymousreply 343September 4, 2018 4:24 AM

The weekly dropoffs are crazily low.

by Anonymousreply 344September 4, 2018 4:25 AM

r343, many of us Gweilo love this movie.

by Anonymousreply 345September 4, 2018 4:26 AM

R343 don’t be ignorant and jealous. That’s pathetic. I really liked the movie too

by Anonymousreply 346September 4, 2018 4:30 AM

R343, you didn't see it? Give it a shot. It's fun.

by Anonymousreply 347September 4, 2018 4:30 AM

R343, are you Asian-hating Blatino DLer?

Don't contribute to hatred. Tolerance is key in this rough time.

by Anonymousreply 348September 4, 2018 4:32 AM

[quote] R343, are you Asian-hating Blatino DLer?

Yeah, um, not even close.

White West Coaster who is tired of this pc bullshit.

People can hate a movie without being labeled a fucking racist.

IT'S JUST A STUPID, MOVIE! Why in the fuck does it have to be a crime, just because I don't like it and will NEVER see it?

by Anonymousreply 349September 4, 2018 4:35 AM

R349, who said you're racist? And who said it's a crime to hate it?

The movie isn't really PC...

by Anonymousreply 350September 4, 2018 4:37 AM

R349, sure, but your post was hateful.

"Probably only watched by asians in the US and around the world. Truly, nobody else gives two fucks about those people or their dumbass movie."

by Anonymousreply 351September 4, 2018 4:37 AM

It's a fun late-night Postmates dinner-in movie.

I'll buy it on Amazon streaming when it comes out.

by Anonymousreply 352September 4, 2018 4:38 AM

[quote]IT'S JUST A STUPID, MOVIE!

Yet you post again and again and again and again and again about how much it sucks. Strange, that.

by Anonymousreply 353September 4, 2018 4:39 AM

[quote]IT'S JUST A STUPID, MOVIE! Why in the fuck does it have to be a crime, just because I don't like it and will NEVER see it?

And how do you know it's a stupid movie, if you haven't even watched it? You're just being a hateful cunt.

by Anonymousreply 354September 4, 2018 4:39 AM

Leave the angry hater alone.

I wonder how long it'll take for the first sequel to come out.

BBC News is saying the movie is causing problems in Singapore... Let me pull the link

by Anonymousreply 355September 4, 2018 4:42 AM

[quote] Yet you post again and again and again and again and again about how much it sucks. Strange, that.

Just like you post again and again and again and again and again, to remind everyone how "well" the movie is doing.

Even stranger, that.

by Anonymousreply 356September 4, 2018 4:42 AM

Is the hater an older person? Just curious.

by Anonymousreply 357September 4, 2018 4:42 AM

Welcome back Rom-Coms!

by Anonymousreply 358September 4, 2018 4:46 AM

The Guardian not BBC News.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 359September 4, 2018 4:48 AM

R357 must be a lonely eldergay

by Anonymousreply 360September 4, 2018 4:51 AM

With a tiny dick and huge gunt.

by Anonymousreply 361September 4, 2018 4:52 AM

[quote]Probably only watched by asians in the US and around the world. Truly, nobody else gives two fucks about those people or their dumbass movie.

"Those people"?!? Yeah, you are racist. Now fuck off.

by Anonymousreply 362September 4, 2018 7:01 AM

r330- that was the first thing I noticed when they were eating at the night market- the guys all had sweat on their upper lips. Constance always looked sweaty to me. And on the plane ride home, all the sweaty pits putting the luggage away.

BTW, I'm half Chinese, with a Tiger Mom- Michelle Yeoh's acting was spot on. Also according to my great-grandmother (who still had bound feet), I was a peasant- I was too tall (5'7"), too tan (1/2 Filipino), and my feet were too big (9 US)- because of this, she would never speak to me.

by Anonymousreply 363September 4, 2018 12:00 PM

Do you speak karay-a?

by Anonymousreply 364September 4, 2018 2:26 PM

r363, whata cunt.

by Anonymousreply 365September 4, 2018 7:31 PM

[quote]People can hate a movie without being labeled a fucking racist.

Of course, they can. What labels people as racist is hating the movie without seeing it because it has Asians starring in it and assuming only Asians are watching it.

by Anonymousreply 366September 4, 2018 7:40 PM

Well it my right to not want to see it because Asians are starring in it as it is your right to see it for that reason.

by Anonymousreply 367September 4, 2018 8:22 PM

What 'right' are you babbling about?

by Anonymousreply 368September 4, 2018 8:25 PM

If the sight of Asians offends you so much then don't see it but stop posting about it here.

by Anonymousreply 369September 4, 2018 8:32 PM

R367, why are you posting about a movie you don't want to see? Why are you even on this thread? Go away already!

by Anonymousreply 370September 6, 2018 4:40 AM

r370, even assholes need validation of their assholedness.

Then they do laundry.

by Anonymousreply 371September 6, 2018 4:46 AM

F&F r367.

by Anonymousreply 372September 6, 2018 5:08 AM

Good chance it will hit $150 million

by Anonymousreply 373September 6, 2018 12:50 PM

[quote]Well it my right to not want to see it because Asians are starring in it as it is your right to see it for that reason.

I don't know which is worse, the silliness of this statement or the possibility that you don't recognize that it is the dictionary definition of racist.

by Anonymousreply 374September 6, 2018 1:35 PM

374. That is your opinion. Please stop using the word racist. It sound silly and overused.

by Anonymousreply 375September 6, 2018 2:03 PM

Pok Pok, Bitch!

by Anonymousreply 376September 6, 2018 2:17 PM

The racist troll is an eldergay who is an uneducated ignorant closes minded man that is still living in his parents’ basement and has never traveled to other different places in the world except his small shitty red neck town 🤣

by Anonymousreply 377September 6, 2018 6:36 PM

R375, what is silly is you still trying to convince people you aren't racist. Bitch this is an anonymous site, celebrate your racist self. There's no reason to hide. Just don't insult everyone's intelligence by pretending you aren't. We all know your are racist. Come out of the closet with your caftan bitch! Then fix yourself a spot of hot tea and choke on it.

by Anonymousreply 378September 7, 2018 3:13 AM

The landmark movie “Crazy Rich Asians” has broken yet another major record for ticket sales, becoming the highest-grossing romantic comedy in the U.S. in 10 years by surpassing 2009′s “The Proposal” this weekend, according to estimates from Box Office Mojo.

by Anonymousreply 379September 30, 2018 5:18 PM

its a bad movie with a catchy title and a following from the novels

by Anonymousreply 380September 30, 2018 5:27 PM

The film has made 219 mil worldwide given its budget is only 30mil. Doing exceptionally well

by Anonymousreply 381September 30, 2018 5:30 PM

Incredible

by Anonymousreply 382September 30, 2018 5:59 PM

its really funny now how OP is the one who ended up being so much out of touch.

by Anonymousreply 383October 1, 2018 12:11 AM

Indeed bro

by Anonymousreply 384October 1, 2018 1:31 AM

Could end up with $175 million domestic

by Anonymousreply 385October 1, 2018 1:31 AM

I find Henry G very very sexy and attractive

by Anonymousreply 386October 1, 2018 2:36 AM

Henry is also the male lead in another recent, well-reviewed movie, "A Simple Favor."

by Anonymousreply 387October 1, 2018 3:27 AM

R387 huh? How come I didn’t know that. I will def check it out. He’s so handsome

by Anonymousreply 388October 1, 2018 3:41 AM

I love how before this came out there was some naysayer here who was all ‘which idiot got this shit greenlit?’ -

I’m guessing that idiot has had a helluva raise and change in job status by now. Any other tips and opinions you’d care to share with us OP? I mean - more films flop than succeed - so you’re bound to get it right some time...

by Anonymousreply 389October 1, 2018 7:20 AM

Just saw it, a sweet rom-com with some good lines and situations and a logical and satisfyingly ending.

by Anonymousreply 390October 2, 2018 2:45 AM

Awkwafina, who's hosting SNL soon, was excellent as the rich, quirky and smart best friend of the heroine.

by Anonymousreply 391October 2, 2018 2:49 AM

I find it bizarre how invested the azns are in the success of this movie.

The constant citing of box office numbers is bad enough, but he crowing about "how well it's doing" is equally strange. As if they have something invested in this movie.

It's quite pathetic, really.

by Anonymousreply 392October 2, 2018 3:32 AM

^^ It's their "Ten Commandments."

by Anonymousreply 393October 2, 2018 3:36 AM

[quote] It's their "Ten Commandments."

Omg, that's even more pathetic, because the movie sucks donkey balls.

But I guess mediocrity is okay with them, as long as "the numbers" are there. How typical.

by Anonymousreply 394October 2, 2018 3:39 AM

As if only Asians went n saw this movie. Some idiotic motherfuckers!

by Anonymousreply 395October 2, 2018 3:57 AM

R392, what a strange, racist statement. Why are you so invested in this? How does it take away from your whiteness? You're the pathetic one.

by Anonymousreply 396October 2, 2018 6:26 AM

The guy who plays Michael is the hottest dude in the movie.

by Anonymousreply 397October 2, 2018 8:28 AM

I hope SNL does a CRA parody.

by Anonymousreply 398October 2, 2018 9:12 AM

They don't have any Asian cast members to do it.

by Anonymousreply 399October 2, 2018 9:55 AM

Can't wait until this stupid ass movie goes away.

It's not like any of these people will ever be famous... rofl.

by Anonymousreply 400October 2, 2018 9:58 AM

Some very strange statements from some racist trolls. I smell jealousy

by Anonymousreply 401October 2, 2018 1:44 PM

And yet R400 are more famous than you will ever be.

by Anonymousreply 402October 3, 2018 12:13 AM

I cried a lot at the end when Wu's character confronted the mom. Mary! I know but it resonated a lot for me.

by Anonymousreply 403October 3, 2018 12:16 AM

Henry Golding is actually being discussed as James Bond. Also being considered is Max Irons and Oliver Jackson Cohen.

by Anonymousreply 404October 3, 2018 12:24 AM

r399, next week's SNL host is Awkwafina.

by Anonymousreply 405October 3, 2018 12:28 AM

This OP makes me laugh whenever I see it. He didn't realize he was the out of touch one. Just like I am reminded of the posters who were so convinced Black Panter would flop, and then it made ungodly amounts of money.

by Anonymousreply 406October 3, 2018 12:31 AM

Finally saw it and was underwhelmed. Constance Wu was too old for the part.

by Anonymousreply 407April 29, 2019 7:48 AM

This movie should be tossed into a cesspool, where it belongs.

by Anonymousreply 408April 29, 2019 9:25 AM

I loved this movie. It was fun

by Anonymousreply 409April 29, 2019 9:44 AM

Why was Michelle Yeoh's accent so much less pronounced than on ST Discovery?

by Anonymousreply 410April 29, 2019 10:59 AM

r410, it appears that she is an actor.

by Anonymousreply 411April 29, 2019 2:53 PM

I liked it. A fluffy little film. It's amazing how Asia looks like it's in the future and America is just grimy and falling apart

by Anonymousreply 412June 13, 2021 10:27 PM

" as a black woman, I was offended to see that there were no dark skinned Asians in the cast.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 413June 14, 2021 11:15 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!