Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Sonic Youth's Thurston Moore on Madonna

We were neighbours. We knew each other, by sight. She would say hi to me and I would say hi to her. She was dating a friend of mine for a millisecond, so we were introduced that way and then, through the years, when we’d cross paths on the street, we’d nod heads and smile. She was very friendly with Jean-Michel [Basquiat], Keith Haring, and these artists who were all our neighbours, and we all hung out at the same places: Danceteria, CBGB, Tier 3 and Club 57 were the main places. When she became super-famous, which was all of a sudden, she disappeared from the New York scene. It was a very strange thing, to be working washing dishes, and making pennies per day, and seeing someone who was in your neighborhood all of a sudden become a superstar. It was unusual. There was no real model for that, for us. It became kind of exciting.

She was really ahead of the game. She was taking elements of what was cool at that time – punk rock, new wave, dance music, hip-hop and Latino music all clashing in this great non-hierarchical playground of New York. It was all kind of new; everybody was trying different things. Madonna was actually in a couple of no-wave bands that nobody ever talks about. She was in a band with these two twins, Dan and Josh Braun, who were the first members of Swans, Michael Gira’s band. Nobody really knows about that part of her history; she was in a pre-Swans no wave band! There’s all that interconnected history in New York with Madonna and the no wave scene.

She was really able to tap into the sound of what was genuine and the culture at the time, where it was free from any gender or sexual persuasion distinctions. There was no concern about any inequality or [the boundaries of] gender or race – that’s how we felt, it was totally revolutionary. And [there was] this balance between Latino, black and white culture on the scene. She was really significant in giving voice to that and consistently doing it – you never got the sense that she was doing it as a gesture of being hip. She was a person, I think, who was really very loving toward people who were historically disenfranchised by society.

Eventually she started making really amazing dance records. Into the Groove was brilliant to the point where I thought it would be a great song to cover through the prism of Sonic Youth. Instantly fabulous. We took her record and put it on one of the channels in the studio and we would fade it into [our version of] the song once in a while, not thinking about the legalities of such a move. We made a 12-inch with Mike Watt from Minutemen on a label called New Alliance, a sub-label of Black Flag’s SST Records [Into the Groovey by Ciccone Youth, 1986]. We wanted to break down any kind of barrier that was being set up between the underground and the people who had graduated from it to the mainstream.

We actually embraced Madonna’s joie de vivre, her celebrity. We did that record and everybody felt we were crazy, and some people lambasted us for giving her some kind of credibility in the underground. But she already had credibility, as far as I was concerned; she was already a part of the downtown scene. I don’t think she capitalised on it. When we first came to London, Lee, Kim and I wore Madonna shirts and I remember kids at the gig coming up to us and saying “Are you taking the piss?” and we would say “No, have you heard this Madonna album? You should listen to it next to your Swell Maps albums, next to your Wire albums, next to your Raincoats albums.” Mix it up. Don’t be stuck in some kind of tunnel. I was all about bringing people together. Plus the T-shirts were really cheap.

Actually, I think she was very dignified in the way she referenced all of these different subcultures. She was a very big part of it. She made a lot of money, and when you make a lot of money and become so famous you have to protect yourself, because everybody wants to claw at you.

People who bring that in to their lives… it’s a mixed blessing. It does prohibit you from being free in the social world. I think she dealt with it really well.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 186March 21, 2020 8:03 PM

[quote] Madonna was actually in a couple of no-wave bands that nobody ever talks about. She was in a band with these two twins, Dan and Josh Braun, who were the first members of Swans, Michael Gira’s band.

Holy fuck!

by Anonymousreply 1July 25, 2018 3:39 AM

R1 yeah that blows my mind. I've always thought there's so many things about Madonna that she never talks about and will probably never be written.

by Anonymousreply 2July 25, 2018 3:43 AM

I wish Madonna would tell the whole story of her pre-fame days in NYC. It was a full 180 degrees from the kind of performer she became famous as.

The Ciccone Youth record (The Whitey Album) is great.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3July 25, 2018 3:57 AM

You can hear the influence of Chrissie Hynde/Patti Smith on "Laugh to Keep from Crying"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4July 25, 2018 4:01 AM

Somehow I don't think Thurston would be talking so favorably about Madonna back when he was with Kim in the 90s.

by Anonymousreply 5July 25, 2018 4:04 AM

I'm always fascinated by Madonna's pre-fame years in NYC. It's easy to forget she was in her mid-20s when her first album came out so she had done a lot of things before becoming famous.

Thanks for posting, OP. I didn't know some of those things and I have been a fan for over 35 years.

by Anonymousreply 6July 25, 2018 4:04 AM

What a generous and kind story from Moore. When people talk about Madonna's early days, they mostly talk about how aggressive and manipulative she was, and how she used people. I'm not a fan, but it is still nice to hear that she has a kinder side, and that some people from that underground era have respect for her. Thanks, Thurston.

by Anonymousreply 7July 25, 2018 4:09 AM

Breakfast Club! Yummy! GREAT SONG!!!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8July 25, 2018 4:15 AM

To me madonna has always been a mysterious creature. Everything she’s done and showed to the world was just an act.

by Anonymousreply 9July 25, 2018 4:20 AM

Who cares what this unoriginal, pretentious mediocrity has to say about anyone?

by Anonymousreply 10July 25, 2018 4:25 AM

I was in New York when Madonna made an appearance on the David Letterman show. All these people waiting outside the main door where the guests arrive. I was standing down the block when this old Buick Regal type car from the 70s or early 80s came by. The kind of car that you wouldn't touch or lean on because it was so dirty and dented. Madonna stepped out of the backseat of the car and walking up to the entrance by herself. It was when she was dating James Albright. Then I realized that she must do all kinds of stuff that people would never imagine or believe.

by Anonymousreply 11July 25, 2018 4:25 AM

R10 talking to yourself?

by Anonymousreply 12July 25, 2018 4:26 AM

I hate Sonic Youth. They were always pretentious try hards and social climbing bitches. At least Patti Smith became a bonafide superstar doing that. Thurston is a bit tone deaf - not one throwaway jab at the politics of Madonna's appropriations. Otherwise its OK and nice to read his respect here. But its always always "we know everyone and have been everywhere" with Sonic Youth.

by Anonymousreply 13July 25, 2018 4:27 AM

R11, Another "look at me, I'm so edgy" moment in the annals of Madonna.

by Anonymousreply 14July 25, 2018 4:38 AM

That’s a great story, R11. Reminds me of seeing David Lee Roth riding around Austin on an old bike with a sparkly banana seat. He was on his way to a show at Stubb’s, I believe. That was a midsize, outdoor venue that served barbecue. This was in 1997 or 98.

by Anonymousreply 15July 25, 2018 4:46 AM

I remember back in '87 browsing in this little record store in Pasadena, and seeing the Ciccone Youth album. I bought it right then and there. Played it over and over. Loved it. I had just gotten into Sonic Youth the year before and was already a low-key Madonna fan. Lost all my albums in by moving around over the years.

by Anonymousreply 16July 25, 2018 5:26 AM

Burning Up is pretty good.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17July 25, 2018 5:39 AM

Oh please Janbot at R10 & R14 - we can smell your rancid stench. Just go fuck yourself.

Everybody hates you and your talentless, forgotten nobody with the dead career...

by Anonymousreply 18July 25, 2018 9:35 AM

What is no wave, and why is it so mind blowing that M was in a no wave band?

I was never able to get into Sonic Youth, not that it matters. Just putting it out there that I think they suck and am baffled by their success.

by Anonymousreply 19July 25, 2018 9:48 AM

New wave?

by Anonymousreply 20July 25, 2018 10:18 AM

[quote]I hate Sonic Youth. They were always pretentious try hards and social climbing bitches.

This. Moore is a dead eyed plank who gives every impression of an Aspie whose autistic obsession is feedback.

by Anonymousreply 21July 25, 2018 10:31 AM

Sonic Youth claiming kinship with Madonna ain't quite the same as Blondie giving the white rock audience its first taste of hip hop.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22July 25, 2018 11:11 AM

R19 No wave was a post free jazz, post disco post punk film and music scene mainly in New York in the late 1970s. It always had a cult following and was what you could call postmodern art.

See Madonna dance at 2:19 in this old clip.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23July 25, 2018 11:20 AM

Madonna was good friends with Andy Warhol, in the Andy Warhol diaries, Warhol mentions her A LOT, he also painted portraits of her in her wedding dress when she was marrying Sean Penn for her personal collection, Andy was also at that 1985 wedding

by Anonymousreply 24July 25, 2018 11:55 AM

Madonna started as a guitarist/drummer in the NYC rock scene and bands in the late 70s/early 80s, I'm always surprised when people, even big Madonna fans are surprised of her roots

She wrote over 300 songs for the rock band Emmy and the manager was interviewed about 10 years ago on a VH1 special and he said the lyrics and songs that she composed were really good, he went on to say that she wasn't the best drummer however but also that the whole band weren't very good musicians in general

I believe she played Max's Kansas City, the Mudd Club and CBGB'S with that band

by Anonymousreply 25July 25, 2018 11:59 AM

I love early Madonna stories. She kind of pops up everywhere in the early 80's. She definitely had a talent for finding the right/in crowd.

by Anonymousreply 26July 25, 2018 12:00 PM

Hipsters had been around since the 1940s bebop era of jazz and they were criticised as being nothing but scenesters. Sonic Youth were hipsters of the eighties, perhaps overrated by their fans but to be fair they actually made a pretty decent contribution to college rock.

by Anonymousreply 27July 25, 2018 12:07 PM

I’ve never read anything like that about Madonna before. I alwsys thought she was just a traditional pop star trying to make it through the usual channels. It’s cool.

by Anonymousreply 28July 25, 2018 12:07 PM

Her success was simple, Donna Summer left the door wide open for any woman wanting to make a splash in dance-pop. Borderline has the classic Giorgio Moroder sound, and Madonna ask him to produce her 1984 album. He turned her down, one of his biggest regrets, along with turning down Duran Duran and Whitney Houston. So she chose the second most famous disco producer Nile Rodgers. Supposedly dead disco was back by 1983 thanks to Madonna, Michael Jackson and Donna Summer herself, although she failed to capitalize on it.

by Anonymousreply 29July 25, 2018 12:19 PM

Sonic Youth do suffer from constant name dropping. Just like Patti Smith. Both fawning over their 'connection' with William Burroughs, as an example. I don't mind their music, but they are insufferable when they talk.

by Anonymousreply 30July 25, 2018 12:41 PM

Madonna was a disco diva? I thought that was S'Express and Kylie.

by Anonymousreply 31July 25, 2018 12:41 PM

Not in 1983, they weren't. There was also Shannon's "Let The Music Play" and Human League's "Don't You Want Me" even earlier. Disco didn't die, it was renamed dance-pop.

by Anonymousreply 32July 25, 2018 12:48 PM

Interesting article, thanks OP!

by Anonymousreply 33July 25, 2018 1:15 PM

I will never fully get Patti Smith..

by Anonymousreply 34July 25, 2018 1:44 PM

If you go to the Guardian article there are multiple articles on Madonna and her influence. Carlton one her dancers gave her a glowing tribute.

by Anonymousreply 35July 25, 2018 1:54 PM

Madonna's first album (1983) is one of, if not THE, best albums of her career. A lot of her pre-fame scrappiness and spunk is captured in that one record and you can hear the influence of her origin story in it. I think it's definitely superior to her massively successful follow-up album even though that one was produced by the brilliant Nile Rodgers.

by Anonymousreply 36July 25, 2018 1:56 PM

Borderline doesn’t sound remotely like a Giorgio Moroder track.

It owes a lot to Stephanie Mills’ Never Knew Love Like This Before, however.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37July 25, 2018 2:06 PM

Better song at R37.

by Anonymousreply 38July 25, 2018 2:11 PM

Madonna records were always patchy in their totality, always three excellent tunes surrounded by filler tracks and silly, fluffy forgettable songs. They weren't dense, heavy affairs like Blondie or masterpieces like DS and Moroder. Luckily she's always have excellent producers and co-writers who could flesh out her ideas to make her records cohesive.

by Anonymousreply 39July 25, 2018 2:17 PM

Mr. Moore used to come into the Housing Works bookstore where I was a volunteer. I waited on him many times, and he was always incredibly polite and sweet.

by Anonymousreply 40July 25, 2018 2:18 PM

She’s a cult member. Fuck her.

by Anonymousreply 41July 25, 2018 2:23 PM

Kabala

by Anonymousreply 42July 25, 2018 2:24 PM

Borderline always reminded me of another song, but I didn't realize it was Never Knew Love until just now! Thanks for posting that video. What a wonderful song, but what a horrible video, and they cut the song off before the end where she vamps on "never..." SACRILEGE!

by Anonymousreply 43July 25, 2018 2:39 PM

R39 which is why Madonna is the most critically acclaimed female recording artist of all time according to Metacritic?

And 2 of her albums, Like a Prayer and Ray of Light, are ALWAYS on EVERY "Greatest albums of all Time" list

by Anonymousreply 44July 25, 2018 2:55 PM

R37 BOTH were produced by the same guy, the recently deceased Reggie Lucas

Holiday was also offered to Stephanie Mills first and she turned it down

by Anonymousreply 45July 25, 2018 2:57 PM

[quote] Her success was simple, Donna Summer left the door wide open for any woman wanting to make a splash in dance-pop. Borderline has the classic Giorgio Moroder sound, and Madonna ask him to produce her 1984 album. He turned her down, one of his biggest regrets, along with turning down Duran Duran and Whitney Houston. So she chose the second most famous disco producer Nile Rodgers. Supposedly dead disco was back by 1983 thanks to Madonna, Michael Jackson and Donna Summer herself, although she failed to capitalize on it.

Not quite that simple. Many, many female recording artists tried to fill the void left when Summer found Jesus. A handful were successful -- Laura Branigan, Tina B., Pamala Stanley, Irene Cara -- but 10 times as many were never heard from again. Madonna, not a great vocalist and a passable dancer, tapped into something transformative. Her commercial success was unprecedented and will NEVER be repeated. I don't want to go ga-ga for her but it is very easy (and popular) to understate her appeal and significance.

by Anonymousreply 46July 25, 2018 4:18 PM

R18, I'm not R10, nor am I janbot (couldn't name 3 songs by her). Why would Madonna be chauffeured in a crappy car, when she was a star by then, other than to have people look at her? I like some of her early songs, just don't care for the phoniness of her character.

by Anonymousreply 47July 25, 2018 4:43 PM

R47, just the opposite. If she was going in by herself, she probably wanted to be able to approach the entrance without people realizing it was her too quickly. If she wanted people to look at her, the best way to be to pull up as everyone was expecting--in a limo or super fancy car with fanfare, bodyguards, etc.

by Anonymousreply 48July 25, 2018 4:58 PM

Madonna is repeatable. Some global city that is falling apart now will have an egalitarian artistic comminity working in it already and if the city undergoes gentrification the artists will be part of the background. It's a property developer's wet dream that this could happen to Detroit or Chicago.

by Anonymousreply 49July 25, 2018 8:55 PM

Ha! I knew Janbot was going to come here.

by Anonymousreply 50July 25, 2018 8:56 PM

...Mexico City or Johannesburg could produce the next Madonna.

by Anonymousreply 51July 25, 2018 9:03 PM

You have to be self-obsessed to be an old school Madonna fan thinking she is that timeless.

by Anonymousreply 52July 25, 2018 9:06 PM

R52 one of the dumber comments on DL, which is notable.

by Anonymousreply 53July 25, 2018 11:32 PM

Madonna's first album has gotten better with age. I love it more than Like a Virgin. Burning Up and Physical Attraction are two of my favourites.

by Anonymousreply 54July 26, 2018 2:03 AM

[quote] [R52] one of the dumber comments on DL, which is notable.

Indeed.

by Anonymousreply 55July 26, 2018 2:16 AM

Funny that he tried so hard to be cool and ended up a cliche

by Anonymousreply 56July 26, 2018 2:36 AM

OP, your article was terrific. And the Guardian has links to several other worthy articles.

[quote]Madonna was great to work with. I was having this conversation with someone the other day – they were saying, “I bet it was crazy, when she was being really intense in the rehearsals, making people feel bad.” But that’s not what she does, at all. She has [one] personality that she knows makes her money – a bit brash and snappy and in your face – and then she has who she [really] is: just a chill, regular person. It was also a special time because she was single, didn’t have any children, and hadn’t really come against any extreme pushback, so she was very free. It was great to be a part of that.

[quote]What’s really great about her as a performer is that she is there to sell a story, however far she has to go. There are artists now who are taking the baton – Lady Gaga is probably the closest to it. But Madonna continues to be special because she’s just balls-out as an artist. At the core of what she represents is the secret longing of every human being: we all have quiet thoughts, we all have hungry thoughts, but most of us have been conditioned to think it’s inappropriate to let this be known. So when you have an example of somebody who is living their life against all the constructs that are blasted through the world and the media, it’s intoxicating.

[quote]Madonna has always been a very generous person. There was a particular time in my life [in 1995, when Wilborn was going through a difficult time, Madonna let him live with her for several months] where she really showed me the human side of her – I’m not saying that’s the first time she showed this to me, but it was the degree of it. It was really amazing when she offered me that. After that our paths went in different directions. I auditioned for the Drowned World tour and didn’t get chosen. I started going after different things, she was doing different things. Life happened. What I would say to her now is: happy 60th birthday! And thank you. Thank you for allowing me to let all of my power be seen and expressed

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57July 26, 2018 3:14 AM

Great article. I've always liked her music but I'm not very into pop. She seemed to transcend pop to me. So I am a fan.

She is very talented but I knew she was a drummer/guitarist and songwriter. Patti Smith loves her and always raves about her.

A lot of people love to knock her talent especially her voice but that voice carried her career. She can sing but no one said she was Whitney Houston. She didn't need to be. Like many singers such as Dolly, Sheryl, Reba, Faith Hill and a hundred others, they didn't need to have Whitney vocal ability. They had more than passable voices and had other things to get by.

Nile Rodgers said she was the greatest artist he has ever worked with. Patrick Leonard, her longtime collaborator, said she was on par with the best songwriters he has ever worked with. When you read the list of people he has worked with, that is quite a compliment.

by Anonymousreply 58July 26, 2018 3:35 AM

Madonna: not overly beautiful, and a passable voice BUT still waters run deep. She was a super nova that exploded over the entire world.

by Anonymousreply 59July 26, 2018 3:49 AM

Madonna, The Queen of Pop.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60July 26, 2018 3:52 AM

Madonna was gay-friendly when it was still dangerous to an entertainer's career to be gay-friendly.

by Anonymousreply 61July 26, 2018 3:54 AM

I still say her music was not that unique.

by Anonymousreply 62July 26, 2018 3:55 AM

Madonna is a special creature that the world will never find another one when she dies. One of a kind. Her appeal is unprecedented

by Anonymousreply 63July 26, 2018 4:02 AM

I just wish Madonna had stopped after Confessions. She started making bad music with overly on-trend producers. And ironically it never resulted in any great music or hit radio singles. She needs to dig deep and do something original and different. And distance herself from the faux artists that people have mistaken for geniuses, like Kanye.

by Anonymousreply 64July 26, 2018 4:10 AM

Unprecedented in the way Jack Goldstein and Bill Laswell and and Cindy Sherman and David Lynch and Robert Ashley and Run DMC And James Brown and House Music and The Cure and Ofra Haza and Cheb Khaled and Yellow Magic Orchestra were unpecedented.

by Anonymousreply 65July 26, 2018 4:11 AM

MTV made Madonna a superstar,in the 70s she would have lasted a few years tops.Her voice was thin but she did pick catchy songs Like Micheal Jackson,she would have never gotten so big without videos..

by Anonymousreply 66July 26, 2018 4:29 AM

She was also health conscious and in charge of her sexuality and what she did with it, which was really important for gays and young women to see during the AIDS panic.

by Anonymousreply 67July 26, 2018 4:38 AM

R67 And she didn't get strung out and unhinged on drugs like countless singers do.

by Anonymousreply 68July 26, 2018 4:40 AM

R68 She was no victim.

by Anonymousreply 69July 26, 2018 4:42 AM

Yup, you have to give credit to Madonna for keeping it together. She didn't succumb to drugs like George, Prince, MJ, Whitney. She has better coping mechanisms, and she was in her mid-20s and had life experience by the time she became famous.

by Anonymousreply 70July 26, 2018 4:44 AM

Madonna has said many times that she's not nostalgic. I don't think she will ever put the effort into it, but I'm sure someday there will be a great box set of all of her early demos and unreleased recordings.

by Anonymousreply 71July 26, 2018 4:44 AM

I pretty sure James Albright and a friend were in the front seat, and were the ones dropping her off.

by Anonymousreply 72July 26, 2018 4:50 AM

Did Madeleine know her son James had borrowed the family car to drive Madonna around?

by Anonymousreply 73July 26, 2018 4:52 AM

I remember getting the cassette (yikes) of LIKE A PRAYER in 1989. It was scented like patchouli. It also contained a safe sex guidelines insert, and a whole thing about AIDS. It was kind of amazing. The safe sex/AIDS mention seemed so random. It wasn't attached to a song or anything. She just wanted to get the information in everyone's hands. Madonna was always fantastic with lgbt and AIDS issues. It was genuine, and not about her. And the patchouli thing was both very freshman year of college and very cool.

by Anonymousreply 74July 26, 2018 5:07 AM

I'm sure Prince wishes he had scented one of his albums with patchouli. He could never do it after she did, even though he was on her album.

by Anonymousreply 75July 26, 2018 5:14 AM

She has a very good voice. Her 1991 Oscars performance was amazing. She is a rare person. There will never be any one who will have the success on all levels as she had. She put her career on the line in many different ways with sexuality and queerness. Middle America was shocked and disgusted but still transfixed by her.

There will never be another like her, sadly.

by Anonymousreply 76July 26, 2018 5:50 AM

R76 It's a depressing thought if entertainers today are all virtue signalling and none of them really stand up for anything worthwhile.

by Anonymousreply 77July 26, 2018 5:57 AM

I don't remember Ciccone Youth being presented as complimentary when it came out. I thought it was supposed to be mocking. I remember a reviewer writing that the cover art was a grotesque close up of her face.

by Anonymousreply 78July 26, 2018 6:04 AM

R77 Of course they don't. The era of the true star is over. Everything is inorganic as fuck now.

by Anonymousreply 79July 26, 2018 6:05 AM

According to the liner notes of the deluxe edition of Daydream Nation: "The album cover [of Ciccone Youth], a black and white xerox enlargement of Madonna's face, was a brilliant and contemporary design. Sonic Youth had utilized found images in album covers before, but this was testing the limit. We sent copies of the vinyl album to Warners to be passed on to Madonna via her sister who worked in the art department there. Word came back that she had no problem with it acknowledging she remembered the band from her NYC Danceteria days."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80July 26, 2018 6:07 AM

Madonna's early NYC days are legendary. She earned her career.

by Anonymousreply 81July 26, 2018 6:13 AM

The GOSSIP tag at the bottom of this thread, is this new? I never noticed it before. Click on it and a new page with a neat list of gossip centric threads opens. 😎

by Anonymousreply 82July 26, 2018 6:14 AM

The three BIGGEST BRIGHTEST MEGASUPERSTARS of all time are Madonna, Elvis and Michael Jackson. Their enormous success and extraordinarily cultural influence are unmatched by anyone in history. Two died, one to go

by Anonymousreply 83July 26, 2018 6:16 AM

R23 you see her start to dance at 1:50

by Anonymousreply 84July 26, 2018 6:17 AM

You forgot Bowie and Dame Nellie Melba.

by Anonymousreply 85July 26, 2018 6:18 AM

R83 Yes. No one will ever match that. I feel sorry for todays youth who will never feel the earthquake that was either Elvis, MJ or Madonna. It was intense and insane. You never knew where it was going to go and it was organic unlike anything today. The world shook.

by Anonymousreply 86July 26, 2018 6:21 AM

LOL Madonna was only as successful as some of the men in the 1980s music industry.

by Anonymousreply 87July 26, 2018 6:23 AM

R87 LOL you know you sound stupid as fuck, right? Your crazy opinion will not erase fact. She was an earthquake and tsunami unlike the world has ever seen.

by Anonymousreply 88July 26, 2018 6:26 AM

You're so funny R88

by Anonymousreply 89July 26, 2018 6:28 AM

R89 How? You're delusional. Sorry for you. Facts are facts.

by Anonymousreply 90July 26, 2018 6:29 AM

R87 it wouldn’t hurt to do more reading and research m, my dear. You sounded like an idiot

by Anonymousreply 91July 26, 2018 6:31 AM

Shit, I don't think 99% of female pop stars are talented. Having said that, the 1% that are, Madonna is talented. She has a good enough voice and is a good enough songwriter for the 1%.

by Anonymousreply 92July 26, 2018 6:32 AM

So sad these fuckers will never experience a phem like Madonna. Talk about experiencing a force who spoke out for the hated. You will never know. And I hope you never know. People started hating her for the gay stuff.

by Anonymousreply 93July 26, 2018 6:36 AM

R93 That's what I respect her for, as well as some good music, without getting hyperbolic about her status in the world of music business.

by Anonymousreply 94July 26, 2018 6:39 AM

I'm not an eldergay but Madonna was a fucking force. Her music was great and she had a quality very few have. Whether you like it or not. Her music is great first and foremost. But her rise was epic beyond. You fuckers will never experience something like that. A true phenom who went against the grain when the grain was deadly.

by Anonymousreply 95July 26, 2018 6:49 AM

I'm a millennial and I can't imagine experiencing a Madonna. Gays were hated and she put them front and center to her own detriment. Straight boys loved her until she put gays front and center. It didn't hurt she had the talent and music to back up her stances.

by Anonymousreply 96July 26, 2018 6:54 AM

[quote]I hate Sonic Youth. They were always pretentious try hards and social climbing bitches. At least Patti Smith became a bonafide superstar doing that. Thurston is a bit tone deaf - not one throwaway jab at the politics of Madonna's appropriations. Otherwise its OK and nice to read his respect here. But its always always "we know everyone and have been everywhere" with Sonic Youth.

Weren't Thurston Moore and his ex-Kim Gordon from very wealthy families? Both came to NYC, lived on the LES and played at being poor starving artists and musicians? Or maybe I'm confusing them with the Talking Heads couple Tina Weymouth and Chris Frantz? I think the Weymouth family had something to do with The Washington Post.

They'll always be a group of trust funders coming into NYC to play are being creatives or musicians. Brooklyn is over run with them now. Not many know who Sonic Youth are.

Not one 'friend' of Madonna will ever admit how she appropriated so much from so many musicians, photographers, fashion designers and artists. They sure do keep mum about that, always kissing her ass.

They'll never admit Madonna jumped on so many bandwagons not because she was adventurous or talented, she did so because she craved fame. I used to hangout at Danceteria when Madonna was fucking the DJ Mark Kamins. She was always beginning him to play her "tape".

Madonna latched on to so many downtown NYC scenes because she craved fame, she failed as a dancer, so she tried music. I think what irked so many rock and dance music fans about Madonna, she was totally unoriginal and made no bones about ripping off so many people. She was arrogant and smug. The problem was, her young fans were clueless, they thought she was fresh and unoriginal.

I will give her props for being a great business woman, she's in no way a real musician let alone a singer. Her career is based on gimmicks and slogans.

by Anonymousreply 97July 26, 2018 6:57 AM

R97

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 98July 26, 2018 7:00 AM

Here's a list of No Wave bands which some New Yorkers might remember and no they're not all from NYC: James Chance and the Contortions, Teenage Jesus and the Jerks (Lydia Lunch), Theoretical Girls, Swans, Bush Tetras, Suicide, Mars, James White (James Chance) and The Blacks, The Lounge Lizards, Liquid Liquid, Konk, Material, The Golden Palominos, Delta 5 and Blurt.

Liquid Liquid's "Cavern" was covered, note for note, by the Sugar Hill Records house band as the backing track for Grandmaster Flash and Melle Mel's rap classic "White Lines (Don't Do It)."

"After "Cavern" was sampled for Grandmaster + Melle Mel's old school rap classic, "White Lines (Don't Do It)," 99 Records took Sugarhill to court over its unauthorized use, and after an expensive court battle, won compensation. Before they could collect, however, Sugarhill went into receivership."

by Anonymousreply 99July 26, 2018 7:01 AM

R97 Sure, Jan to the max. I LMFAO at your attempt to diminish. Too bad, too late. Fuck off cuz it ain't gonna work.

by Anonymousreply 100July 26, 2018 7:02 AM

Amazing comeback, R98. That tired old Jan GIF again? Time to take it out of your arsenal.

The truth hurts. Madonna defenders are always tiresome sheep, so pathetic, a real snooze fest..

Madonna's music will not be remembered.

by Anonymousreply 101July 26, 2018 7:04 AM

Night, sheeple....

by Anonymousreply 102July 26, 2018 7:05 AM

She's earned millions because of her dancing. It's her secret weapon. So many performers barely move onstage. It's hard to imagine her career without her dancing skills.

by Anonymousreply 103July 26, 2018 7:05 AM

R101 Are u retarded? Anyone with a fucking brain knows Madonna will always be remembered as one of the great, one of the most successful and her music is what is loved. Do you think we don't have brains? Are you so deluded to think she isn't among the Greats? All the critics agree she is among the Greats and the people agree her music is iconic.

by Anonymousreply 104July 26, 2018 7:08 AM

Madonna haters are like Dump supporters- facts don't mean anything to them. They believe what they want to believe, facts be damned.

by Anonymousreply 105July 26, 2018 7:09 AM

Madonna among THE GREATS?! Yes, she's fucking Beethoven, Mozart, Miles Davis, the Beatles, Bessie Smith, Janis Joplin and Hendrix combined. You poor clueless sad case.

Selling a lot of crap music is not a barometer of the public having good taste. Sorry if you cannot comprehend that FACT. Just look at how popular crap like reality TV is.

Critics? Free thinking individuals could give a flying crap what critics have to say. If you need a critic to validate your opinions and taste in music, how sad for you.

by Anonymousreply 106July 26, 2018 7:13 AM

Kim Gordon's dad was a sociology professor or something like that. She describes herself as middle class. I don't know about Thurston Moore or Lee Renaldo. Sonic Youth was an ironic band because they were tragically name dropping hipsters who also managed to make some good rock music along the way.

by Anonymousreply 107July 26, 2018 7:16 AM

R106 she's had the cultural influence of all of those people combined

by Anonymousreply 108July 26, 2018 7:17 AM

[quote]she's had the cultural influence of all of those people combined

Do you honestly believe that? Keep drinking the Kool Aid.

Madonna had cultural influence? Not at all, it was also about her getting rich and trying to shock. Madonna was the Trump of the music world! Lots of sound and fury, but very little substance or originality.

I can't name one important thing this woman has done to change the culture, embracing gay men? How about ripping off gay culture, especially vogue culture. Yet another bandwagon she just couldn't leave alone. That's not originality, that's ripping off and appropriating.

She encouraged young clueless women to dress like street hookers? To leave the house in just a bra and panties? How fabulous.

S&M culture, you think she brought that to the masses. Yawn. VOGUE magazine did an S&M spread years before Madonna was even living in NYC.

Madonna did very little to influence culture. But you can keep thinking she did. If it makes you happy, keep believing.

by Anonymousreply 109July 26, 2018 7:34 AM

You come across as if Madonna has personally and deeply hurt you for some reason R109.

by Anonymousreply 110July 26, 2018 7:39 AM

Katy Perry's musical output is at least as good as Madonna's.

by Anonymousreply 111July 26, 2018 7:49 AM

Madonna at her best exemplified art and commerce. At her worst - and most recent - chasing trends.

by Anonymousreply 112July 26, 2018 11:30 AM

Why are Janet and Mariah’s fans here? I didn’t know these two “has-been” still have fans

by Anonymousreply 113July 26, 2018 12:19 PM

What fans of Janet and Mariah, R113?

This post is ruled by Madonna mincers and grunge granddads.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 114July 26, 2018 12:26 PM

R109 maybe it's time to take up a new hobby, do some reading, learn to meditate. You're unraveling...

by Anonymousreply 115July 26, 2018 4:09 PM

R109 this queen is going to be a hot mess after Madonna dies and the endless legendary tributes start rolling out.

by Anonymousreply 116July 26, 2018 4:15 PM

Love Stephanie Mills. Madonna used her producer, Reggie Lucas, for her breakthrough LP. James Mtume and Reggie were to Stephanie what Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis were to Janet Jackson. Planets were aligned when they collaborated.

Except that Stephanie can actually sing. Rimshot.

by Anonymousreply 117July 26, 2018 4:25 PM

She was friends with the Zone brothers, Paul and Miki, who had the hit ‘Male Stripper’ as Man2Man and offered them a support slot on her first tour. Before Man2Man they were in The Fast. He told me how she had been in the New York scene and this was a way of trying to give others from it some help.

by Anonymousreply 118July 26, 2018 5:41 PM

Madonna, Janet, Britney, Beyonce, Timberlake, Backstreet Boys etc. are music for people who really don't like music.

by Anonymousreply 119July 26, 2018 7:20 PM

R119 You sound....... special.

Do tell us about your obscure musical tastes and how superior they are that only you like them.

by Anonymousreply 120July 26, 2018 7:41 PM

Madonna triggers so many crazies. They have to tear her down to make themselves and the divas they stan for look better.

McDonna was pop music and pop music is what it is but for pop music, the bitch took risks, changed up her sound, moved forward. For that, she earns respect.

The Beatles and Elvis were also pop for the most part. I guess they suck, too?

by Anonymousreply 121July 26, 2018 7:45 PM

Now I want to hear Thurston Howell III's comments on Madge.

by Anonymousreply 122July 26, 2018 8:01 PM

Madonna didn't come from money or utilize nepotism. She completely WILLED herself into becoming the most popular and successful female pop star of all time. The little engine that could. The ultimate underdog...

Her singles catalogue speaks for itself.

by Anonymousreply 123July 26, 2018 8:05 PM

I was living on Nantucket when her first album came out, and, even on that deserted island, she was everywhere, to the point that one of the jewelry stores on Main Street started selling that clunky cross jewelry, and one of the big local bars had an "imitate Madonna" contest several nights running, and the place was packed with women doing their best imitation. I simply can't imagine any singer since then that people would line up to get on stage to imitate.

by Anonymousreply 124July 26, 2018 8:05 PM

Alleged Madonna haters are just as obsessed with her as any fan since they soak.up every post and word written.

I can't imagine reading threads, much less commenting repeatedly about someone I wasn't interested in.

by Anonymousreply 125July 26, 2018 9:53 PM

I wonder what Jelly Bean Jon is doing now?

by Anonymousreply 126July 26, 2018 11:07 PM

R126 He attended her last tour in 2016.

by Anonymousreply 127July 26, 2018 11:32 PM

[quote]Kim Gordon's dad was a sociology professor or something like that. She describes herself as middle class. I don't know about Thurston Moore or Lee Renaldo.

She doesn't say much about Thurston's parents in her book (If I recall correctly, his mother was a difficult figure), but I didn't get a sense that his parents had money. Kim's parents were definitely supporting her through her college years (in Canada and in LA). When she moved out to NYC she had just received an insurance check for $10,000 as a compensation for being in a car accident. The check made it possible for her to move east. Her first rent was something like $180 a month for a place on Eldridge St. This was in 1980 or so. What is $10,000 in today's money?

by Anonymousreply 128July 26, 2018 11:46 PM

[quote]Her first rent was something like $180 a month for a place on Eldridge St. This was in 1980 or so. What is $10,000 in today's money?

Per the CPI Inflation Calculator: $30,581.19 in 2018.

by Anonymousreply 129July 26, 2018 11:52 PM

Kim also said she had trouble putting herself into a working class persona like Lydia Lunch. It doesn't sound like Kim was a wealthy heiress-dilletante.

by Anonymousreply 130July 26, 2018 11:55 PM

No one is hating on Madonna. She's just not that great. I liked the Desperately Seeking Susan era. It's fun, kitsch etc. but it's not like she invented pop.

by Anonymousreply 131July 27, 2018 12:09 AM

Wtf, Thurston. When that SY cover came out it was obviously a mockery. At least that’s how all us college aged fans saw it at the time.

I used to revere Sonic Youth. How embarrassing. Liked Madonna ok then and now.

by Anonymousreply 132July 27, 2018 2:39 AM

[quote]Madonna did very little to influence culture.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 133July 27, 2018 2:44 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 134July 27, 2018 2:45 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 135July 27, 2018 2:47 AM

And more...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 136July 27, 2018 2:48 AM

minimal talent, slightly above average looks and a big ole user.

but she was hungry and wouldnt take no for an answer.

not everyone has a stomach to do whatever it takes to achieve that level of success.

by Anonymousreply 137July 27, 2018 2:58 AM

R137 Sure, Jan. Meanwhile in realityland............

by Anonymousreply 138July 27, 2018 2:59 AM

It was obvious Sonic Youth liked her even back then. They knew her well. They respected her.

As someone else said, Patti Smith adores Madonna.

I wish someone would do a movie about that group in NYC at that time. Holy shit, the legends who entered each others orbit before they were famous is mind-boggling- Madonna, Haring, Basquiat, Warhol, Beastie Boys, Sade, LL Cool J, Sonic Youth and so many more I can't even remember.

by Anonymousreply 139July 27, 2018 3:00 AM

R139 Warhol's genesis was in the early '60's. He was very famous before NYC in the late 70's.

by Anonymousreply 140July 27, 2018 3:10 AM

I've posted this on DL, somewhere, so may as well add it here. She went from being a guttersnipe to singing Sondheim songs at the Oscars. She's been pretty frank about the vocal challenges she's faced. She admitted that she would have loved to have Whitney's voice. She's sometimes used taped songs as backup , but she always uses her own voice (which ain't that great) instead of some substitute. I think she's brave and admirable. I'm an old gay guy in Ohio, and she's an older woman from Michigan (neighbor state) and would always root for her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 141July 27, 2018 3:34 AM

R132, how was it obvious? They spoke highly of Madonna at the time. She gave permission to use her photo for The Whitey Album cover, they sampled her voice and she was fine with it.

“We heard that she had heard it, and wouldn’t sue us if we put it out.” He shrugs. “She maybe thought it was quite a cool thing.”

“It wasn’t making fun of her,” adds Gordon.

“She didn’t take it in a bad way and we didn’t mean it in a bad way at all,” says the drummer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 142July 27, 2018 3:38 AM

[quote]Her first rent was something like $180 a month for a place on Eldridge St. This was in 1980 or so. What is $10,000 in today's money?

[quote]Per the CPI Inflation Calculator: $30,581.19 in 2018.

Back then $10,000 was probably a down payment for a place in Manhattan. Imagine what you could do with $30,000 in Manhattan today.

by Anonymousreply 143July 27, 2018 3:38 AM

R141 Well that video was a revelation. She certainly sounded pretty good there. The one I have seen is Lament from the Drowned World or Reinvention Tour. Very strong vocals.

No one ever said she was Whitney but she can sing and sing quite beautifully when she wants. I like her voice. She has control issues which is why her performances are so uneven but that is due to lack of proper training early on. Even early on, she gave some great vocal performances. She can emote with the best of them. To each his own. I love Stevie Nicks but she certainly doesn't have a Whitney voice either. And who cares?

by Anonymousreply 144July 27, 2018 3:44 AM

Well I guess us old art fags from SUNY Purchase were clueless then. Not a big shocker, I know.

Thurston Moore still irritates me though. Maybe it’s the name dropping.

Love, [R32

by Anonymousreply 145July 27, 2018 3:54 AM

Sonic Youth? Patti Smith??! Oh, God how my sides ache!!! How come the real movers and shakers rarely have anything good to share at all about her?

by Anonymousreply 146July 27, 2018 4:07 AM

R146 WTF are you talking about? She is worshipped by her peers you dipshit.

No one cares to hear your BS about Madonna.

by Anonymousreply 147July 27, 2018 4:32 AM

When VH1 back in the mid/late 00's, asked over 1,000 musicians to rank their peers, they compiled a list of the Greatest Artists. Madonna was #16, the highest ranking female. They ran it as a special. So R147 that should answer R146 who is an idiot.

by Anonymousreply 148July 27, 2018 4:45 AM

I remember reading about Madonna for the first time in a tiny story for The Face, it was in 82 or 83. She looked so cool, I presumed she was English. The chick was unique. She has gone off the rails now but she really did rock the world. I was listening to her first album his morning. It is fabulous, check it out if you haven’t heard it before.

by Anonymousreply 149July 27, 2018 4:53 AM

1. Madonna is recognized as the best-selling female recording artist of all time by Guinness World Records. guinnessworldrecords.com/world-records/best-selling-female-recording-artist

According to Chartmaster, Madonna is the best-selling female recording artist of all time.

chartmasters.org/2017/10/cspc-most-successful-artists-ever-data-collector/26/

2) According to Billboard, Madonna is the most successful solo act on its Hot 100 singles chart and second overall behind the Beatles.

billboard.com/charts/greatest-hot-100-women-artists

3) She is also the highest-grossing solo touring artist of all time, earning U.S. $1.4 billion from her concert tickets.

billboard.com/articles/columns/chart-beat/7271843/madonna-extends-record-highest-grossing-solo-touring-artist

List of highest-grossing concert tours: Celine is the only female artist comes close to Madonna. Her Sticky & Sweet Tour made over $400M. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_highest-grossing_concert_tours

As of 2016, Billboard Boxscore ranked Madonna as the third highest-grossing touring act of all time, with over $1.31 billion in concert gross since 1990, behind only The Rolling Stones ($1.84 billion) and U2 ($1.67 billion).

4) She was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in her first year of eligibility.

5) Madonna topped VH1's countdown of 100 Greatest Women in Music.

vh1.com/news/1238/the-100-greatest-women-in-music/

6)  Rolling Stone listed her among the 100 Greatest Artists of All Time and the 100 Greatest Songwriters of All Time

rollingstone.com/music/lists/100-greatest-artists-of-all-time-19691231/talking-heads-20110426 rollingstone.com/music/lists/100-greatest-songwriters

7) CNN listed her as the wealthiest musician in the music business

money.cnn.com/2014/12/02/luxury/richest-recording-artists/index.html

8) Madonna also remains the only woman in history with two solo concerts attended by 100,000 people; her Who's That Girl World Tour's concert in Parc de Sceaux, Paris, drew over 130,000 audience, while her Girlie Show World Tour's concert in Maracanã Stadium, Rio de Janeiro, drew over 120,000 audience

by Anonymousreply 150July 27, 2018 5:48 AM

R150 The haters know that and it triggers them. I just laugh when they try to diminish her. They know better. They act like Pres Dumpster when they talk about her- as in they lie.

by Anonymousreply 151July 27, 2018 6:32 AM

You'd think she'd have made it higher than a lousy #16, the way a few queens rave about her like she was the second coming of the prophet. And all that B.S about "empowering woman"? I'm sure if the Kardashians and Hiltons were polled she would be their number #1 role mode without question. No wonder some Muslim men take a look at the state of Western culture and their impulse is to cover up the womans face in shame and shave their clits down.

by Anonymousreply 152July 27, 2018 8:26 AM

I liked her vocals in her 80s, early 90s stage. Not perfect, not groundbreaking, but the vocals had character, and you could tell it was Madonna - it was her being her.

Today, a lot of female singers sound interchangeable.

by Anonymousreply 153July 27, 2018 8:35 AM

Interesting, r146 -- the first time I saw her in a music mag in 1983 or so I thought she was British, too. I've never run into anyone else who said so.

by Anonymousreply 154July 27, 2018 9:43 AM

R152 Are you dense? It was the greatest artists of all time. She was the highest ranking female. And the poll was done exclusively on her peers, other musicians. You're triggered she came in so high.

by Anonymousreply 155July 27, 2018 6:31 PM

Maybe Madonna isnt as horrible as people say. Rosanna Arquette was just singing her praises on the Andy Cohen programme.

by Anonymousreply 156July 27, 2018 7:30 PM

JanBot is shitting her crazy all over this thread.

by Anonymousreply 157July 27, 2018 7:33 PM

Rita Wilson, Tom Hank's wife, has always described Madonna as very warm, down to earth and funny. Rosie described her similarly. As have many others.

Madonna has acted horribly to some, but she was treated horribly herself especially in her early years. She has talked about other stars treated her badly in the beginning, except Prince and MJ. She is legendary for putting up walls and only lets a certain few in. Others perceive that as cold or bitchy but once those walls are down, it seems she is just a normal gal.

Like that Oprah interview where it was revealed she had phoned a very young fan every day for months as the fan was dying of cancer. Biographies have said she would visit AIDS patients nightly in various hospitals with no cameras or publicity. She's no saint and I'm sure she can be quite the bitch at times but also seems she has a big heart.

by Anonymousreply 158July 27, 2018 7:37 PM

R157 I know! Especially funny since Madonna so obviously influenced Janet.

by Anonymousreply 159July 27, 2018 7:44 PM

R159 Oh GAWD that will trigger the shit outta them (cuz it's true!).

by Anonymousreply 160July 27, 2018 7:49 PM

Did Madonna die? Why all the praiseful essays and lists?

by Anonymousreply 161July 27, 2018 8:09 PM

[quote]Did Madonna die?

Just her career.

by Anonymousreply 162July 27, 2018 9:15 PM

Some people are so pressed with her massive success 😂😂😂

by Anonymousreply 163July 27, 2018 9:24 PM

R163 I know. Imagine making hundreds of millions on tour with mostly new material and your career is "over." If only I could be so "over."

by Anonymousreply 164July 27, 2018 9:46 PM

[quote]Others perceive that as cold or bitchy but once those walls are down, it seems she is just a normal gal.

Let's not get carried away.

by Anonymousreply 165July 27, 2018 9:49 PM

Ofra Haza?!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 166July 27, 2018 11:58 PM

Dalida? Ummm, who?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 167July 28, 2018 12:48 AM

I used to live in the East Village and would see Iggy Pop, Debbie Harry, Lady Miss Kier of Deelite, Rupaul - and all were approachable.. Kim Gordon, however, would never say hello, always dour and expressionless.

With her shity singing voice I don't understand her appeal at all.

by Anonymousreply 168July 29, 2018 4:41 AM

Kim Gordon in the nineten-eighties was a loveably unlikely sex symbol and she could play bass guitar.

by Anonymousreply 169July 29, 2018 6:11 AM

R169 Kim spending her Saturday night drunk on DL!

by Anonymousreply 170July 29, 2018 6:35 AM

Kim, your acting was dreadful in Last Days, and don't blame Gus.

You came across as a harpy channeling the silent yet painful life of a hemorrhoid.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 171July 29, 2018 6:58 AM

Shut uuuuuup I'm not Kim I have better taste in men.

by Anonymousreply 172July 29, 2018 7:00 AM

R172 It's Chut Up!

by Anonymousreply 173July 29, 2018 7:09 AM

I'd rather hear a rock song he could write for her instead of the boring songs she's released on her last three albums.

by Anonymousreply 174August 11, 2018 3:31 AM

Kurt Cobain talking about Madonna and gay culture

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 175September 15, 2018 3:44 AM

[quote] Madonna, Janet, Britney, Beyonce, Timberlake, Backstreet Boys etc. are music for people who really don't like music.

Ridiculous. Obviously you never witnessed the pandemonium caused on a dance floor when a Madonna record was played circa 1985.

by Anonymousreply 176September 15, 2018 4:01 PM

R176 obviously thinks people had taste in 1985 (not that it's gotten any better, mind you).

by Anonymousreply 177September 15, 2018 4:20 PM

R175 That video of Kurt is very interesting, I think he's exactly right.

by Anonymousreply 178September 15, 2018 4:24 PM

R176, Was it people running to the exits?

by Anonymousreply 179September 15, 2018 5:04 PM

He would have replaced Kim with Madonna in a second if she wanted to be in the band

by Anonymousreply 180September 23, 2018 4:37 AM

Cobain looks great in that video.

by Anonymousreply 181September 23, 2018 5:21 AM

Madonna's a cool lady.

Fuck the haters on Datalounge.

by Anonymousreply 182September 23, 2018 5:23 AM

Kurt is correct about most of it but Madonna didn't ignore punk rock though, she incorporates it into some of her early music.

by Anonymousreply 183September 23, 2018 1:25 PM

Madonna's early looks were very punk rock with her black boots, mesh, torn stockings, crucifix jewelry.

by Anonymousreply 184September 25, 2018 6:16 PM

This has a lot of interesting info about pre-fame Madge I didn't know before.

That era of NYC sounds so amazing. NYC sucks now.

by Anonymousreply 185March 21, 2020 6:38 PM

R112 sums it up in one sentence. Bravo!

by Anonymousreply 186March 21, 2020 8:03 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!