Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Perfect endings

Nashville

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77July 29, 2018 1:53 PM

OP I never saw that. Looks interesting

by Anonymousreply 1July 25, 2018 12:27 AM

"The 400 Blows"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2July 25, 2018 12:30 AM

The Mechanic with Charles Bronson and Jan Michael Vincent.

Perfection.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3July 25, 2018 12:36 AM

Sid & Nancy

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4July 25, 2018 12:46 AM

Erica walks the painting home.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5July 25, 2018 12:58 AM

Splendor in the Grass. The Awful Truth.

by Anonymousreply 6July 25, 2018 1:04 AM

This always makes me laugh.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7July 25, 2018 1:08 AM

"Hair" (1979)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8July 25, 2018 1:10 AM

The Shawshank Redemption

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9July 25, 2018 1:16 AM

Choose Me directed by Alan Rudolph.

Final scene is on a bus after an elopement with a slightly crazy Keith Carrasine and a very prickly and wary Lesley-Ann Warren.

The camera focuses on her face as it floods with doubt, and then it slides into an expression of complete fulfillment.

It’s like the anti-Graduate in that sense.

The movie tends to be divisive, but I love it, especially for that final payoff.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10July 25, 2018 1:24 AM

The ending of the original "Planet of the Apes."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11July 25, 2018 1:26 AM

Need I say more?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12July 25, 2018 1:26 AM

Days of Heaven

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13July 25, 2018 1:28 AM

Brokeback Mountain:

Ang Lee built up the desolation and solitude in the two preceding scenes and then twisted the knife when Heath Ledger returned alone to the trailer to grieve alone in silence.

The “Jack, I swear” has since become a meme, but when I saw the movie in the theater, I felt a profound sense of sadness and complete understanding that I had never felt in a film before.

Mary, away!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14July 25, 2018 1:34 AM

Alien

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15July 25, 2018 1:37 AM

Babette’s Feast

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16July 25, 2018 1:39 AM

R11's clip.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17July 25, 2018 1:42 AM

Probably the most moving I've ever seen was the ending of "Red," which was also the ending the entire "Trois Couleurs" trilogy. I was really crying at this, and so was almost everyone in the theater. if you haven;t seen the film, the ending won't make any sense, but if you've seen it, it may make you choke up again.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18July 25, 2018 1:48 AM

One favorite is the great scene at the end of Jacques Tati's "Playtime" where the American tour bus leaves Paris to bring the tourists back to the states, and the traffic circle they're stalled in is filmed like a funfair carousel.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19July 25, 2018 2:00 AM

Nothing anyone could say could out-MARY! your next-to-last sentence, R17.

by Anonymousreply 20July 25, 2018 2:04 AM

"Lola"

Sorry, no subtitles.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21July 25, 2018 2:05 AM

Papillon

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22July 25, 2018 2:05 AM

The Third Man

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23July 25, 2018 2:10 AM

"That's not the Northern Lights... that's Manderley!"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24July 25, 2018 2:13 AM

Final Destination 5!

It has a stinger of an ending that pays a glorious reward to any fan of the series, which I am only faintly embarrassed to admit being.

It even inspires a critique of cultural rot that goes beyond the confines of the twisted fean hose!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25July 25, 2018 2:21 AM

I don't know if this will work on DL, but the ending of 'The Umbrellas of Cherbourg'. Always makes me cry.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26July 25, 2018 2:23 AM

^ And Final Destination 5’s ending also provides unintended parallels with Kieslowski’s Three Colors trilogy!

Link especially for you, r18.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27July 25, 2018 2:25 AM

Sunset Boulevard

by Anonymousreply 28July 25, 2018 2:27 AM

R26, the ending is sublime.

The losses of love and youth, the inescapable presence of the past without hope of return, and the mutability of our own characters in time, which makes an intensity of long ago seem almost unreal in the context of the present.

I’ve seen the movie a dozen times and I’m never prepared for the finale.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29July 25, 2018 2:31 AM

Psycho

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30July 25, 2018 2:36 AM

The incomparable SIX FEET UNDER, still gives me chills.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31July 25, 2018 3:05 AM

Birdy

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32July 25, 2018 3:54 AM

Awful movie but the final shot is immortal.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33July 28, 2018 9:04 AM

Pret-A-Porter. Chris Rea setting up a baby model shoot while Grace Jones' La Vien En Rose starts playing.

The Graduate. Ben and Elaine, still wearing her wedding dress, in the bus. Driving away.

by Anonymousreply 34July 28, 2018 9:10 AM

Sorry, it's of course Stephen Rea who's in Ready To Wear aka Pret-A-Porter.

by Anonymousreply 35July 28, 2018 9:12 AM

Call me Mary but I just saw Mamma Mia 2 yesterday and thought it had a wonderful ending. The scene in the chapel where we see Donna watch over Sophie, her family and friends while singing about her love, her life was magical.

by Anonymousreply 36July 28, 2018 10:02 AM

[italic]The Long Good Friday[/italic] - English mobster Bob Hoskins and his classy girlfriend Helen Mirren have been setting up a huge business deal. It all goes pear shaped because a colleague, unbeknownst to Hoskins, did a deal with the IRA and screwed them over. So stupid. At the end Hoskins thinks he's got everything squared away, gets into the car, and realizes the IRA has him. And that is a very young Pierce Brosnan holding the gun.

It's worth seeing. There is a gay subplot.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37July 28, 2018 12:44 PM

Cinema Paradiso

by Anonymousreply 38July 28, 2018 12:54 PM

Another vote for Cinema Paradiso

El secreto de sus ojos

by Anonymousreply 39July 28, 2018 1:07 PM

What on Earth happened to dear Ronee Blakley to make her swell up so dreadfully in the last decade? Food issues?

by Anonymousreply 40July 28, 2018 1:07 PM

Hannibal( tv series) ending:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41July 29, 2018 1:34 AM

The Howing

by Anonymousreply 42July 29, 2018 2:23 AM

*The Howling

by Anonymousreply 43July 29, 2018 2:44 AM

Well Carrie of course. How'd we get this far without anyone saying that?

by Anonymousreply 44July 29, 2018 4:38 AM

The Stepford Wives 1975- That creepy supermarket music and the end focus on Katherine Ross' eyes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45July 29, 2018 4:48 AM

I saw that recently with some relatives young and old who had never seen it r45. It was so cool to hear them say NOOO! and aw!!! at the end. They were so shocked and sad. It really was a change of pace that the hero/heroine didn't get away.

by Anonymousreply 46July 29, 2018 4:54 AM

I fuckin loved the ending of Mamma Mia 2 too!

by Anonymousreply 47July 29, 2018 4:57 AM

Billy Wilder and Mike Nichols made their careers out of great endings. Wilder always had the perfect line (Sunset Blvd., Double Indemnity, Some Like It Hot, The Apartment), and Nichols was great at making viewers reconsider everything they thought they should feel (The Graduate, Closer, Working Girl).

“The Last Picture Show” had just about a perfect ending.

by Anonymousreply 48July 29, 2018 4:59 AM

R46- The 1975 version was truly great cinema [never saw the remake]. I actually read the book recently and the film is much better - even though the book had a major scene change from the film that really made more sense than the one in the film.

by Anonymousreply 49July 29, 2018 5:01 AM

What is the scene change r49?

by Anonymousreply 50July 29, 2018 5:02 AM

R50- *SPOILER*

In the book, the men tell Joanna that if she goes to Bobbie and Bobbie cuts her finger and bleeds, that will convince Joanna that she's mistaken about the women being "changed". So she goes to Bobbie who pulls out a knife and tells Joanna to come closer to watch her cut her finger- but that's where the scene ends. The next scene is in the supermarket with the "new" Joanna, so the assumption is that Bobbie killed her.

by Anonymousreply 51July 29, 2018 5:10 AM

Death Wish (original)

Planet of the Apes (original)

2001: A Space Odyssey

Carrie

American Graffiti

A Christmas Story

Some Like It Hot

Sunset Boulevard

The Apartment

One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest

The Godfather

Cabaret

The 400 Blows

Chinatown

Dr. Strangelove

Shane

Easy Rider

Gone With The Wind

It's A Wonderful LIfe

Psycho

Bonnie and Clyde

The Wild Bunch

All That Jazz

The Terminator

The Thing (remake)

The Vanishing (original)

Let The Right One In

Being There

A Clockwork Orange

Brazil

The Graduate

Fight Club

Aimee and Jaguar

Brokeback Mountain

by Anonymousreply 52July 29, 2018 5:13 AM

This after credits scene was actually the perfect ending to Hannibal.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53July 29, 2018 5:16 AM

That is better r51. In the movie the whole way she goes to the mansion to find her children is a bit awkward. The kids are safe. She should have just hid herself until the doctor comes back.

In the book does Diz have a wife? It is odd in the movie how he makes them for the other men but doesn't have one for himself.

(although this movie obviously works better if you don't think about it too much. Otherwise you start thinking what happens when the kids grow up and notice mom doesn't seem to age or dad dies and they take mom somewhere else and she short circuits and the doctors find out she is a robot.)

by Anonymousreply 54July 29, 2018 5:16 AM

I'd go with "Georgy Girl." It has the reprise of the Seekers' famous theme song, but with lyrics that are rarely sung (they're not on the pop single), that suggest (as do the images of Georgy's posh wedding to the millionaire) that neither she nor he have fully what they want in the end: he's going to have to put up with someone else's baby, and she's going to have to put up with the millionaire to legitimate the baby. She does have the baby, though:

That's all you wanted,

Right from the start!

(Well, didn't you?)

A very haunting ending to what was once a very seminal movie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55July 29, 2018 5:18 AM

R54- I agree- I didn't think that it made much sense in the film for Joanna to just stand there while her double came strolling up to her to kill her. Especially after she whacked Walter over the head with the fireplace iron.

I don't remember Diz having a wife in the book but some of it I skipped over because there were a few dull passages. Walter came across as a total non-entity- although that could be because it was all from Joanna's point of view- and there wasn't any real reason as to why he would agree to this.

by Anonymousreply 56July 29, 2018 5:22 AM

The end of "Georgy Girl" is really ominous. The final image is of Georgy cuddling and kissing the baby with a look of bleak resignation on her face. Oh she's "rich" now, with a baby, but also stuck in a loveless marriage to an old man who does not appear pleased to have a baby in his life. Not a happy ending at all.

by Anonymousreply 57July 29, 2018 5:25 AM

From Dusk to Dawn. The final shot when the camera pulls back to reveal what the bar really was.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58July 29, 2018 5:37 AM

I like the one with a little girl tells her friends and family that there’s no place like home.

by Anonymousreply 59July 29, 2018 6:06 AM

The ending of Invasion Of The Body Snatchers. I saw it in the theater and it was the last thing I was expecting. Totally shocked.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60July 29, 2018 6:10 AM

What about one of DL's favorite movies, Rosemary's Baby? I always thought that the ending to both the book and the movie was really the perfect way to end that particular horror story.

by Anonymousreply 61July 29, 2018 6:12 AM

r60, no one has ever been as great a screamer as Veronica Cartwright.

by Anonymousreply 62July 29, 2018 6:14 AM

The ending of "Walkabout" always haunts me.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63July 29, 2018 6:17 AM

It makes sense. Roseanne is not well now, but back in the 90's this shit she kicked ass!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64July 29, 2018 6:20 AM

Jaws Some like it hot Casablanca The Getaway Contempt Don’t look now After hours What’s up doc Mad Max The Godfather

by Anonymousreply 65July 29, 2018 6:27 AM

The ending of Mario Bava’s Bay of Blood is super shocking.

by Anonymousreply 66July 29, 2018 6:32 AM

Of all the great directors, I think fellini is the greatest at endings:

NIGHTS OF CABIRIA: Cabiria, utterly devastated after having discovered her true love was just trying to take her for her money, walks along the road in the forest is sobbing n tears. A group of young people walking the same direction catch up to her and start walking past her, and their high spirits make her smile through her tears despite herself.

LA DOLCE VITA: Marcello and the young girl try to talk across the estuary at one another but cannot hear each other. Marcello is led away by a woman from the party, and the young girl across the estuary smiles enigmatically and sadly--he can't hear her voice (representing innocence).

JULIET OF THE SPIRITS: Abandoned by her philandering husband, Giulietta almost completely breaks down into complete hallucination in the villa. But she seems to put the fantasy of her father running away aside, and walks slowly out of the villa in the very early morning out past the cypresses, as if she is walking into sanity and independence.

FELLINI SATYRICON: Encolpius starts to narrate what happens next, but suddenly his words stop and he--and all the characters in the film--are shown to be now crumbling mosaics in a ruined house, all that is left of the nearly forgotten past.

by Anonymousreply 67July 29, 2018 6:34 AM

"The French Connection II" -- "Popeye" Doyle finally eliminates the elusive drug dealer "Frog One", and nothing more needs to be said.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68July 29, 2018 7:55 AM

I loved the ending to Spanking the Monkey. Also Big Night.

by Anonymousreply 69July 29, 2018 12:34 PM

Some foreign gay themed movies come to mind with Ferzan Opatek being involved in all of them.

Loose Cannons. The characters from the flashback and present mingle together at the wedding. Beautiful shot.

Hamam: The Turkish Bath. Francesca d'Aloja smoking while looking over the city. The music, the voice over. Wow.

Magnifica presenza. Pietro taking a seat in the empty theatre and watching the group's play.

by Anonymousreply 70July 29, 2018 1:09 PM

My apologies. Ferzan Ozpetek, of course.

by Anonymousreply 71July 29, 2018 1:11 PM

for TV finales. Newhart with Emily showing up post-dream.

old school movies with Claude Raines and Ingrid Bergman:

Casablanca - Rains and Bogert walking into the fog

Notorious - Rains walking back into the mansion knowing he is going to meet his fate after one of the more suspenseful scenes that is people simply walking down a stair case.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72July 29, 2018 1:26 PM

Hey Fellini Fan / r67, great choices.

The closing scene of Nights of Cabiria is also my favorite Giulietta Masina scene, and it made me think of how Bob Fosse ended the same story with Sweet Charity, which gets loads of hate, but i love both the film and the scene so much I think I balance it out for the rest of the world.

When the flower children come across a devastated Charity, they offer her a daisy, the same flower she is still wearing in her hair from her failed wedding, that she might think is a symbol of humiliation and hopelessness, and in fact, we’re not sure which way she’ll go as her face vacillates. Like Massina in Cabiria, this is my favorite Shirley MacLaine scene.

The flower children could represent her lost youth and the elderly couple her dashed dreams for the future, but her resolve proves stronger than ever.

I had a friend who hated the movie because of the sad ending, but I don’t think it’s a tragic one, as it closes on a note of gentle kindness inspiring hope.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73July 29, 2018 1:32 PM

Life is Sweet. Two young sisters sitting in their backyard- just being.

by Anonymousreply 74July 29, 2018 1:38 PM

Six Feet Under for sure.

by Anonymousreply 75July 29, 2018 1:41 PM

Don’t Look Now.

A seventies Sutherland twofer along with In asio. Of the Body Snatchers.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76July 29, 2018 1:46 PM

For me, the praising of Fellini endings is incomplete without the mention of I Vitelloni.

The movie was about the aimless drifting of postwar young men in a small Italian town.

At the end of the movie, one of the guys (perhaps representing the director himself) decides he has to leave town. Initially as the train begins to depart the station, Fellini cuts back & forth between closeups of the guy and what the guy is looking at. Initially we see the train station receding from view, but then in a genius move, Fellini cuts to shots of the guy's parents in bed and his hungover friends in their respective homes (with the camera roving as if the train is passing them by as well).

It manages to be both sad and exhilarating at the same time.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77July 29, 2018 1:53 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!