Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Alita: Battle Angel

My prediction for the biggest box office bomb of 2018. This one has two huge strikes against it: the whole uncanny valley thing, and being based off of an anime.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27February 23, 2019 9:38 AM

Is this movie with the stupid creative decision to make the character have huge bug eyes for no freaking reason at all?

I don't see it as a surefire bomb. There's been a lot of positive buzz about this movie in contrast to Ghost in the Shell, which had people hating it before it was even released.

by Anonymousreply 1July 24, 2018 8:42 PM

I don't think it'll bomb but I don't think it'll do that great either.

by Anonymousreply 2July 24, 2018 8:47 PM

shudder

by Anonymousreply 3July 24, 2018 8:51 PM

They've apparently modified the eyes - still big manga eyes, but not as big.

It's actually getting cautiously optimistic and positive trailer reactions.

If RT stays above 75 or so during its opening weekend, it should do fine.

by Anonymousreply 4July 24, 2018 9:10 PM

Why do they give the entire plot away in trailers?

by Anonymousreply 5July 24, 2018 9:39 PM

r5 Yeah, that was ridiculous. The teaser from a couple of months ago was much better in that regard.

by Anonymousreply 6July 24, 2018 9:51 PM

There's a lot more to the plot in the manga and anime, we'll have to see how much makes into the adaptation. It'll be interesting if they include the Motorball element from the books...that could be spectacular if done right and huge draw for audiences, especially in IMAX and 3D. Rodriguez of course is an incredibly hit or miss director, but maybe he'll surprise...

by Anonymousreply 7July 24, 2018 10:14 PM

Watched the trailer. It's pretty hard to claim that it isn't whitewashed when you cast a white man to play the part of a Japanese scientist named IDO.

Where are the Japanese actors for this Japanese story featuring Japanese people?

by Anonymousreply 8December 22, 2018 8:03 PM

Also, the OAV was only 2 episodes so I'm guessing that they're going to be drawing more from the manga.

Part one without the horrible english dubbing i.e. lack of emotion and terrible acting.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9December 22, 2018 8:07 PM

Part 2

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10December 22, 2018 8:07 PM

Coming out tomorrow. I predict it'll do mediocre (if not outright bomb) BO-wise in the States, but make its money back overseas.

by Anonymousreply 11February 14, 2019 3:59 AM

Coming out in 2019, not 2018, OP

by Anonymousreply 12February 14, 2019 4:03 AM

R12 it originally was supposed to be released in winter of 2018, but kept getting pushed back (which is one of many signs that it's going to be a failure).

by Anonymousreply 13February 14, 2019 4:49 AM

[quote]Watched the trailer. It's pretty hard to claim that it isn't whitewashed when you cast a white man to play the part of a Japanese scientist named IDO. Where are the Japanese actors for this Japanese story featuring Japanese people?

IMO, the whole big-eyed characters don't look Asain to me -- at all. It's a joke, and I don't know why the Japanese draw themselves that way. They know their eyes are slanted. What the hell?

by Anonymousreply 14February 14, 2019 5:52 AM

Was looking forward to this but then i saw the trailer and read a couple of reviews. I expected better of a Rodriguez/Cameron collaboration.

by Anonymousreply 15February 14, 2019 1:24 PM

Bob Rodriguez knows what he’s doing

by Anonymousreply 16February 14, 2019 2:19 PM

Thought it was awesome. Must be seen in 3D Imax. The most critical reviews focus mostly on the dialogue which I thought was fine. No one seems to have a problem with the cringeworthy dialogue in the DC and Marvel films. This is much better than those. Action scenes are breathtaking.

by Anonymousreply 17February 14, 2019 6:31 PM

Can’t stand manga or anime with the no nose, big eyes look. Also, why have real actors and cgi actors? Either one or both.

by Anonymousreply 18February 14, 2019 6:52 PM

R17 how do you get past the stupid CG Gollum eyes?

by Anonymousreply 19February 15, 2019 12:27 AM

It looks like a film with a huge budget, but without the kind of universal appeal that a big-budget movie ought to have to make its money back.

Looks like something that would chiefly appeal to anime-obsessed teens, not their parents or younger siblings.

by Anonymousreply 20February 15, 2019 1:31 AM

Saw it this afternoon. The plot and characterization make zero sense whatsoever (but that is typical of manga). The only good thing that kept me from falling asleep was Hugo, who was cute but again his storyline/characterization made no sense!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21February 20, 2019 4:37 AM

Plot had no depth without knowing source material. Action was ok, Ghost in the Shell was better.

by Anonymousreply 22February 20, 2019 4:48 AM

It was good popcorn-munching fare. And Hugo was adorable, especially shirtless.

by Anonymousreply 23February 20, 2019 5:50 AM

R23 The shirtless scene was the only scene that made me perk up... lol Seeing his body only made what happened later to Hugo a damn shame!!!!

by Anonymousreply 24February 20, 2019 6:17 AM

59% on Rotten Tomatoes...

by Anonymousreply 25February 21, 2019 11:35 PM

R23 The shirtless scene was stunning in IMAX.

by Anonymousreply 26February 22, 2019 12:05 AM

Nipples the size of Volkswagons, eh?

by Anonymousreply 27February 23, 2019 9:38 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!