Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Netflix's 'Voltron: Legendary Defender' confirms gay relationship for Shiro

[quote]At this year's San Diego Comic-Con, showrunner Lauren Montgomery revealed that main character Shiro will have a "significant other" called Adam in the upcoming season seven.

[quote]Fellow showrunner Joaquim Dos Santos said that "it's something that's been part of his character from the get-go", adding that the reveal was delayed due to them shifting around how they revealed character backstories, and the decision to not kill off Shiro.

[quote]When asked by a fan if Shiro and Adam identified as gay or bisexual, Dos Santos said: "They're in a relationship."

[quote]Montgomery added: "I think the important thing is maybe allow the fans to see what they want to see. We don't want to put anyone into a corner where it's like - So other people feel like they're not represented."

[quote]Shiro's voice actor Josh Keaton (Hercules, Metal Gear Solid 3, various Spider-Man stuff) tweeted that he was "overwhelmed by the amazingly positive response, and both honored and proud to be a part of something so important".

Season seven starts August 10 with another 13-episode run. Do you watch the show?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23December 16, 2018 7:30 PM

Cute.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1July 21, 2018 3:27 PM

The voice actor is handsome as well.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2July 21, 2018 3:30 PM

Fuck yeah!

by Anonymousreply 3July 21, 2018 3:38 PM

Voltron: Legendary Defender Showrunners Knew Shiro Was Gay For 'A Very Long Time'

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4July 28, 2018 5:56 AM

Joaquim Dos Santos - the studliest animator that ever was!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5July 28, 2018 6:37 AM

That's not really a recent shot of him R5.

Here's a recent one from NYC Comic-Con, on the right.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6July 28, 2018 6:42 AM

Oh I know, R6, I just wanted a classic shot of him being young and buff. Not sure how I feel about the Daddy version of him...I'd still do it though...

by Anonymousreply 7July 28, 2018 6:47 AM

r6 He still looks pretty studly to me, only bald.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8July 31, 2018 11:27 AM

Just finished the new season. Gay Shiro was definitely over hyped and under delivered. Really only 2 scenes over 13 episodes that even remotely acknowledged it and even then they might as well have just been friends or brothers. Was hoping for some kind of flashback story that told their history but nope.

Maybe next season?

by Anonymousreply 9August 11, 2018 7:17 PM

Basically how I feel

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10August 11, 2018 7:20 PM

At least your sacrifice has saved me from investing my precious time in the show.

by Anonymousreply 11August 11, 2018 7:50 PM

[quote]Gay Shiro was definitely over hyped and under delivered.

Boy was it ever.

I was actually really excited. Dreamworks, Netflix and the writers heavily marketed Shiro's gayness in season 7...in lots of articles and promotion shots like the one below...all leading people to believe his prior relationship with a man would be explored to some extent.

I thought the time had finally arrived where we were actually going to get some legit representation in a mainstream cartoon.

But by the end of the season, unless you read the promo material, you would've never known Shiro was gay at all. They had 13 episodes to give us something meaningful but it all amounted to nothing but vague subtext at best, and then they unceremoniously killed off his lover without any actual onscreen exchange between them.

What's the point of making Shiro gay if you're not going to actually acknowledge it on the show? Either commit to depicting LGBT people or don't. At least the LGBT fans are calling out the queer-baiting on social media.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12August 13, 2018 5:08 AM

It's basically the same thing JK Rowling did with Dumbledore

by Anonymousreply 13August 13, 2018 5:17 AM

Apparently Voltron is a forbidden topic. OK by me, I prefer Girls Und Panzers.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14August 13, 2018 5:20 AM

Voltron's EP Joaquim Dos Santos' open letter to fans about Shiro

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15August 14, 2018 2:35 AM

First part of the letter

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16August 14, 2018 2:35 AM

For what it's worth, I do believe Dos Santos when he says their intent was never to queer bait and that, if given complete artistic freedom, the show would be [italic]explicitly[/italic] LGBT inclusive instead of just hinted at.

But at the end of the day, I think we've reached the point where paying lip service isn't enough anymore. We've had decades of coded gay "representation." But enough is enough. In the end it still makes us invisible regardless of intent.

If you decide to be LGBT inclusive, then you have to commit. You have to step up to the plate and swing away. Backlash be damned. Otherwise, don't do it at all.

Hopefully, that's a lesson they've now learned.

by Anonymousreply 17August 14, 2018 4:48 AM

I give him a lot of credit for a full-throated apology....except for the "We were aware of the 'Bury Your Gays' trope, but..." They may not have said that the ex-boyfriend was going to be a recurring character, but they didn't dissuade people from thinking it.

Adding insult to injury, the thumbnail for Voltron on the Netflix app is a silhouette of Shiro next to a rainbow.

by Anonymousreply 18August 19, 2018 7:32 PM

Gays are only allowed in cartoons, lol. Ok then.

by Anonymousreply 19August 19, 2018 7:38 PM

Final Season Teaser

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20October 11, 2018 6:12 AM

So it's over. And the ending for Shiro is... interesting.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21December 16, 2018 6:36 PM

Jesus, nothing makes them happy.

Of course the lesbian stuff on Adventure Time and Steven Universe was more accepted. It always fucking is.

by Anonymousreply 22December 16, 2018 6:52 PM

Okay, spoiler warning...

R21 Regarding Shiro's ending...I'll take it.

Yeah, Shiro's gay wedding in the epilogue was tacked on and underdeveloped, and (other than that) we never really got to see his sexuality acknowledged on the actual show.

And yeah, maybe the article has a point that Dreamworks is just looking to score PR points with little actual effort. That was certainly true last season.

But, at the end of the day, the very last shot of this entire show is that of a gay man kissing his husband at their wedding.

That is pretty fucking cool. I think the article vastly underestimates the significance and power of that image; however underdeveloped the preceding set-up was.

As an 80s kid, growing up watching the original Voltron, I never could've fathomed that one day you could see that depicted on a children's animation show--especially an existing, non-original franchise.

It's a big step forward in my book, not a small one, and hopefully, will set a future precedent for other animation shows to be more explicitly inclusive of LGBT characters and representation.

The show could've easily made Shiro the typical heterosexual alpha male hero, but they didn't. They chose instead to subvert that archetype, and end his character arc happily with a man--not the princess.

That counts for a lot in my book. Maybe their execution wasn't a home run, but I think it's a solid base hit for us.

by Anonymousreply 23December 16, 2018 7:30 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!