Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The Sand Pebbles w/ Candice Bergen and Steve McQueen on TCM NOW!!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16July 20, 2018 12:04 PM

And?

by Anonymousreply 1July 20, 2018 2:07 AM

Well, it stars DL fave Contessa Candice Bergen, Steve looks hot in his TIGHT sailor suit, and it hardly ever on and a change of pace from the usual drek they slop at us.

by Anonymousreply 2July 20, 2018 2:17 AM

Candice Bergen as a DL fave? Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

by Anonymousreply 3July 20, 2018 2:34 AM

I loved her youthful beauty. She was extraordinary! But she was a shit actress - she got better as she got older but her early stuff is -- Looks - 10 / Acting Ability 1-2

by Anonymousreply 4July 20, 2018 2:56 AM

Beautiful woman, lousy actress...she wasn’t that good in MURPHY BROWN.

by Anonymousreply 5July 20, 2018 3:03 AM

[quote]Beautiful woman, lousy actress...she wasn’t that good in MURPHY BROWN.

Ohmygawd, she's AWFUL in "Murphy Brown"! She's so terrible she manages to make her expert supporting cast almost as bad over time! She just sort of barks out her lines all the same way. By the last few seasons she actually did get much better, but the first five seasons are brutal!

by Anonymousreply 6July 20, 2018 3:11 AM

My grandfather took me and my siblings to see that movie at the drive-in. I must have been around 7 or 8 years old. The only thing I remember is Steve McQueen running a sword/knife across the bare chest of a man (perhaps an Asian man?). Shortly thereafter we left the drive-in.

by Anonymousreply 7July 20, 2018 3:26 AM

I agree with everyone here: Bergen was a great beauty, charming and intelligent, and a terrible actress.

by Anonymousreply 8July 20, 2018 3:46 AM

^^^ That strained repartee and unsubtle line delivery was too obvious. They were all guilty of that.

by Anonymousreply 9July 20, 2018 8:49 AM

[quote]Beautiful woman, lousy actress...she wasn’t that good in MURPHY BROWN.

Academy Award nominee, 9 Emmy nominations with 5 wins, 11 Golden Globe nominations with 2 wins, Bafta nominee, 6 Screen Actors Guild nominations, 3 People's Choice Awards and so on......

And R5 was nominated for most likely to post shit about successful people on Anonymous websites.

by Anonymousreply 10July 20, 2018 9:49 AM

The novelist, Richard McKenna, is interesting. He grew up poor out west. The local library was meager, but he tried reading everything. He joined the U.S. Navy during the Depression, and was sent out to China. If you read [italic]the Sand Pebbles[/italic], the machinist's mate main character tries to read everything. McKenna spent his career in the navy, then started writing science fiction. After the navy, he went to college and later married a librarian.

by Anonymousreply 11July 20, 2018 10:13 AM

This was last night. Only chance now is on demand.

by Anonymousreply 12July 20, 2018 10:50 AM

It's hard to believe Bergen was still in her teens when this film was made. That hairdo (which also happened to be totally historically inaccurate) made her look much older.

by Anonymousreply 13July 20, 2018 10:59 AM

Diva Onboard

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14July 20, 2018 11:16 AM

THE SAND PEBBLES was her second film, and she was lost. At least with THE GROUP they gave the cast some rehearsal.

She's extraordinary looking, but only decent in a handful of things.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15July 20, 2018 11:23 AM

Candice Bergen was BEAUTIFUL in the 1960's and well into the 1970's. Today she looks like Rose Marie from the Dick Van Dyke show.

by Anonymousreply 16July 20, 2018 12:04 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!