Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Beto O'Rourke for President 2020

He has real chance at beating Cruz in the Senate race, now in some polls within 2-3 points. O’Rourke has raised more than $13 million, more than any other Senate challenger, Republican or Democrat, and he has done so by running as an unabashed liberal, while accepting no PAC money. His momentum has gained through a solid grassroots campaign.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 600September 13, 2018 4:58 PM

He has that country liberal good boy vibe to him. Oh how I would fuck him.

by Anonymousreply 1July 18, 2018 5:06 AM

He could be the perfect antidote to finally put Texas in the Blue corner.

O'Rourke/Swalwell

O'Rourke/Harris

O'Rourke/ Kennedy III

O'Rourke/ Bullock

O'Rourke/Avennati

O'Rourke/ Warren

O'Rourke/ Gillibrand

by Anonymousreply 2July 18, 2018 5:10 AM

Beto is wonderful but he's not going to win. He raked in a staggering 10 million dollars last quarter but I fear liberals are wasting money in an unwinnable race when it can be going to winnable seats in TN, ND, MO, NV, and AZ.

Even if he does win, he would need to essentially run for president before he is even sworn in as a Senator - never going to happen.

by Anonymousreply 3July 18, 2018 5:12 AM

No True R3, most candidates in the last election announced in the second half of 2015.

You won't have the complete list of hopefuls until around June-July of 2019. Beto would have been sworn in by then.

by Anonymousreply 4July 18, 2018 5:16 AM

True, R4, but you're naive if you think they just jump out of bed one day and decide to run for president. The 2020 hopefuls have been contacting precinct captains and courting donors for months now.

by Anonymousreply 5July 18, 2018 5:21 AM

The marquee names have, but the list of hopefuls will only grow until the last half of 2019. A grassroot movement is possible as we have seen it in his bid for senator.

It only takes momentum to swing things.

by Anonymousreply 6July 18, 2018 5:26 AM

I would love to see Cruz go down in flames but I just don't seeing it happening. Texas is still deeply red.

by Anonymousreply 7July 18, 2018 5:46 AM

R7, Texas is decidedly purple at this point. Having said that, I just don't get the excitement about O'Rourke. I hope he stomps Cruz in November but what makes him even plausible on the national stage? Young, white, Bernbro type? Is it the Bernbros who are going nuts over him?

by Anonymousreply 8July 18, 2018 6:34 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9July 18, 2018 6:48 AM

Err R8, Texans, the Southwest as a whole, are not Berners. In fact, Bernie famously snub O'Rourke when his campaign was getting national attention.

by Anonymousreply 10July 18, 2018 6:51 AM

[quote]I just don't get the excitement about O'Rourke.

I just don't get your unexcitement. His is a highly wantable dong. I'd like him and Conor Lamb to be President and Vice President. Of each other's penises, if not the entire nation.

by Anonymousreply 11July 18, 2018 6:55 AM

O'Rourke (D-El Paso) and Hurd (R-San Antonio) won an award for bipartisan civility from Allegheny College for a road trip they took from San Antonio to D.C.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12July 18, 2018 6:55 AM

Everyone is seduced by his puppy dog eyes.

by Anonymousreply 13July 18, 2018 6:58 AM

I've seen him interviewed before and I watched the video above and he is great but he has to win. Those two DUI arrests mentioned in passing in the video, along with mug shots, were the kind of stuff that might hinder things nationally for him in the future. Yes, I know he was really young but that's not the spin that will happen. Hell, maybe he's talented enough to spin that, and that hilarious punk band video, to his advantage but we'll have to see in November. I really want him to beat Cruz bloody. Fingers crossed.

by Anonymousreply 14July 18, 2018 7:15 AM

He looks good in jeans!

by Anonymousreply 15July 18, 2018 7:21 AM

Love him. I would certainly and enthusiastically vote for him and Lamb.

by Anonymousreply 16July 18, 2018 7:24 AM

[quote]He looks good in jeans!

And probably even better out of his jeans.

by Anonymousreply 17July 18, 2018 7:26 AM

R3 Texas would be a bigger win, as a statement. He is closing in on Cruz and there are months to go to lock it in. If he can shift the Hispanic vote he'll secure a win. He wants to debate Cruz in Spanish, Cruz is resisting not only debating, but especially in Spanish because Beto speaks better Spanish than Cruz.

by Anonymousreply 18July 18, 2018 7:35 AM

He will be doing the entire country a favor by slaying Cruz.

How could anybody like or vote for this slimeball?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19July 18, 2018 7:36 AM

We need him in Texas, OP.

by Anonymousreply 20July 18, 2018 8:03 AM

Okay, I get that "Beto" is a nickname for "Roberto," but it strikes me as a healthful drink, like beet juice. "High blood pressure? Have a Beto!"

by Anonymousreply 21July 18, 2018 9:42 AM

Say BAYtoe, r21, not BEEtoe.

by Anonymousreply 22July 18, 2018 11:07 AM

2014 Governor's race all over again. Wendy Davis (Abortion Superhero) raised a shitload of money (at least 40 mill) and got curb-stomped in the election. Cruz is leading by at least 10% in every poll of the race. Liberals always do this with Texas - they have this fantasy about turning it blue, they throw tons of money at it, and they lose Every.Fucking.Time.

Until minorities make up about 70% of the population, given how worthless they are at turnout and how fanatically right-wing Texas whites are, Texas is always going to be a pipe dream. Meanwhile, the money being wasted here is NOT being spent in ND, IN, MO, or WV where it would go a lot farther and do a lot more good. One funny thing about this race - it pits a Latino who wants to be white (Rafael Cruz) against a 100% Irish white boy who wants to be Latino (Robert Francis O'Rourke).

by Anonymousreply 23July 18, 2018 11:50 AM

irony

by Anonymousreply 24July 18, 2018 12:02 PM

With Beto as prez and Ocasio Cortez as VP it's an unbeatable ticket.

by Anonymousreply 25July 18, 2018 12:05 PM

It's not pronounced BAYtoe or BEEtoe. It's more like BED-oe.

by Anonymousreply 26July 18, 2018 12:13 PM

He looks like a lesser Kennedy.

[quote]Those two DUI arrests mentioned in passing in the video, along with mug shots, were the kind of stuff that might hinder things nationally for him in the future. Yes, I know he was really young but that's not the spin that will happen.

Didn’t know that. One arrest I could maybe understand, but two? Fuck no. Not voting for that shit.

by Anonymousreply 27July 18, 2018 12:34 PM

[quote] Didn’t know that. One arrest I could maybe understand, but two? Fuck no. Not voting for that shit. —Lost friends to drunk drivers

Not even if it's him v. Trump?

by Anonymousreply 28July 18, 2018 12:52 PM

Trump should be in prison even as we speak.

by Anonymousreply 29July 18, 2018 12:58 PM

Beto O'Rourke is not going to be a senator or the president, OP.

by Anonymousreply 30July 18, 2018 1:03 PM

[quote]Trump should be in prison even as we speak.

Yeah. Why isn't he?

by Anonymousreply 31July 18, 2018 1:05 PM

[quote] a 100% Irish white boy who wants to be Latino (Robert Francis O'Rourke).

What!? So the "Beto" part is a sham? I thought he was mixed.

by Anonymousreply 32July 18, 2018 1:15 PM

Not necessarily a "sham", r32. It was just.... politically advantageous for a white Democrat in a Latino city to have a Spanish-sounding nickname. He DOES speak Spanish, and as r18 notes, better than Cruz does. I'm just not sure how that really helps on a statewide level in Texas in an off-year election, however.

by Anonymousreply 33July 18, 2018 1:26 PM

I'm cautiously optimistic about Beto's chances this November. I know yard signs aren't the best barometer of election success. But I keep seeing his signs in yards all over the DFW suburbs. Especially Republican strongholds like Plano, Frisco, Southlake and Flower Mound. I've yet to see one Cruz sign.

by Anonymousreply 34July 18, 2018 1:40 PM

With his country boy vibe he can pull in the heartland, and yet at the same time a name like Beto will be all it takes to win the ethnics over.

He's un-beto-ble!

by Anonymousreply 35July 18, 2018 3:15 PM

Where are these polls that put him within 2-3 points of Cruz?

I agree, it would be great to defeat Cruz, but I don’t think it’s going to happen.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36July 18, 2018 4:30 PM

The only way that Beto wins is if the Blue Wave is so strong it sweeps Cruz out. It is theoretically possible, though a lot of things have to break in his favor for that to occur. I think he has a better chance than most. And, he is going up against a person who is thoroughly disliked even by members of his own family.

I hope it will happen. I just don't think we can count on it.

by Anonymousreply 37July 18, 2018 5:03 PM

Didn't W have a DUI that involved cocaine? Didn't seem to hinder his chances in Texas.

I did see a poll recently...somewhere...in which Beto was about 4 points behind. Plus NObody likes Cruz. Not his family, not his colleagues. He was humiliated by Trump.

by Anonymousreply 38July 18, 2018 5:18 PM

r3, tell that to Obama

by Anonymousreply 39July 18, 2018 5:24 PM

Can you imagine the sex? "Oh OH OH oh Beeeto!"

by Anonymousreply 40July 18, 2018 6:24 PM

R38 don't make stuff up.

by Anonymousreply 41July 18, 2018 7:56 PM

I thought one of the YouTube psychics said Cruz was going away which means Beto will win.

by Anonymousreply 42July 18, 2018 8:06 PM

After Trump trashed Cruz’s wife, said his father was part of the Kennedy assassination, and gave him the nickname Lyin’ Ted, Cruz turned around and swore his allegiance to Trump. “Hey, shit all over my family, it’s cool with me!” Says Ted.

Republicans apparently value turncoats and spineless men who turn to jelly in front of bullies. Like Donald Trump sucking up to Putin and criticizing the US in Helsinki.

Incidentally, this is probably why Trump has a complete blackout on responding to anything Michael Avenatti says. Trump recognizes a man with a spine and is scared of him. Trump prefers to bully soft, malleable weaklings like Ted.

by Anonymousreply 43July 18, 2018 8:18 PM

Texas here- Beto is wonderful. He should have national ambitions. He is a great candidate and it doesn't hurt he is good looking. He is the right candidate to take on Cruz.

Cruz is not popular here. With Dem enthusiasm, our Lt Gov being DESPISED by so many esp moderate Repugs, this may be an election where the Repugs, for the first time in ages, vote split ticket. I wouldn't count him out but I don't think he will win. Minority turnout in TX is abysmal.

The Dems are building good networks and infrastructure needed to win in the future but I don't think it will be enough this time.

Don't lose hope, Betoans! I will update if I hear any rumblings from Deplorableland that Beto has a real shot.

by Anonymousreply 44July 18, 2018 8:33 PM

I need to make out with him for at least an hour.

by Anonymousreply 45July 18, 2018 8:36 PM

If Beto O’Rourke unseats Ted Cruz for U.S. Senate, from Texas, it is part of national landslide wave for a Democratic which has flipped both the U.S. House and the U.S. Senate.

Ted Cruz carried Texas, in 2012, by essentially the same margin as Mitt Romney—in between 15 and 16 percentage points. So, it doesn’t take too much imagination to figure out what would likely happen if this seat flips Democratic. Getting Cruz down into single digits says not everything but does say a lot.

by Anonymousreply 46July 18, 2018 9:00 PM

Betomax

by Anonymousreply 47July 19, 2018 12:44 AM

Cruz is better looking than than this beanpole Beto.

by Anonymousreply 48July 19, 2018 12:45 AM

R48 Said no one ever

by Anonymousreply 49July 19, 2018 12:46 AM

I saw him speak at a town hall. He was very impressive. Incidentally I also saw Cruz at different event recently. I had to take a shower to watch the slime off after the Cruz event. Here in Houston there are O'Rourke signs everywhere, even in the conservative suburbs. I have not seen even one sign for Cruz. I think it's possible we'll get rid of him.

by Anonymousreply 50July 19, 2018 12:51 AM

R50 lets wait to get happy closer to election day. I've seen when the big money starts pouring in for conservatives how it changes things here. They usually don't have spots for a specific candidate, but rather they will run theme adds about how great conservatism is and all the wonderful things it has done for Texas. Of course it's bullshit but it works for ALL of them. Then when they run their ads, they piggyback onto that theme.

by Anonymousreply 51July 19, 2018 12:54 AM

You all are crazy! If he wins this race (not likely) he will NOT be allowed to run for President. The last thing Dems need is to give up a swing seat in TX for a moderate Democratic President or VP (assuming his ticket wins). It would be like removing Claire McCaskill, and her amazing election luck, from her seat in MO. Her seat would flip in a heartbeat.

No, he will need to stay for at least two terms to ensure that the electoral tide has actually turned in TX before the party would allow him to leave that seat. Gotta play the long game.

by Anonymousreply 52July 19, 2018 1:00 AM

R52 Of course you are right. We need him. We need Gavin Newsome/ Conor Lamb/Steve Bullock/Kamala Harris.

I really want to see a Conor Lamb presidency.

by Anonymousreply 53July 19, 2018 1:02 AM

Yeah,, I agree r51. I think it's possible but I will believe it when I see it.

by Anonymousreply 54July 19, 2018 1:05 AM

Dems always looking for a new savior...

by Anonymousreply 55July 19, 2018 1:07 AM

R55 And Repugs aren't?

by Anonymousreply 56July 19, 2018 1:09 AM

I dunno. He kinda gives me a John Edwards vibe.

by Anonymousreply 57July 19, 2018 1:25 AM

R57 Nope

by Anonymousreply 58July 19, 2018 1:27 AM

Same here, R57.

by Anonymousreply 59July 19, 2018 1:28 AM

R57 If by being able to win in a southern state as a Dem, yes, he does.

by Anonymousreply 60July 19, 2018 1:34 AM

Good point R57. Now that I think about it he does to me too.

by Anonymousreply 61July 19, 2018 1:56 AM

I almost hate to broach this but...my spidey sense is picking up a Stephen Collins vibe from him too.

by Anonymousreply 62July 19, 2018 2:02 AM

If Beto can get voter turnout to increase, he wins. Simple as that. Problem in Texas is low voter turnout. When Cruz ran the last time (which was the first time he'd ever run for anything, all his previous jobs were crony appointments) it was the lowest voter turnout in Texas' appalling voter turnout history. Needless to say, he led people to believe he was Mexican-American to win the Hispanic vote and of course never admitted he was a Canadian citizen. Cruz is hated by non-Tea Party Republicans in Texas and there is already a reaction here against Trump's treason and Cruz's endorsement of it.

Beto has criticized Cruz for going straight from winning the Senate to campaigning for President in Iowa. Cruz has ignored Texas 100% to improve his name recognition in early primary states. So Beto would probably be hesitant about doing the same thing. Though Beto would have, in 2020, more Congressional years of experience than either Obama or Cruz had when they ran for President.

Obviously if Beto can win Texas, he will be the Dem nominee if he wants it or not - if the Dems can take Texas and its massive electoral votes, it's curtains for the GOP.

R62 Hi Lyin' Ted

by Anonymousreply 63July 19, 2018 4:48 PM

Beto is pushing Cruz to debate (Cruz who claims to be a champion debater though dimwits Trump and Rubio both ate his lunch during the GOP debates) and Cruz is refusing so far. Cruz's debate tactics are insulting his opponent and lying. And that Lying Ted moniker is sticking to him. He's just as nasty as Trump. He's also stupid: he attacked Beto for his nickname (a nickname he's had since birth) which of course just highlights the fact Cruz changed his from Felito to Ted when he went away to college. Ted also attacked Beto's mother - which reminds people of Trump's attacks on Cruz's wife and father.

But the optics are what scare Cruz the most: he's short (5'9" - he wears cowboy boots with lifts in them to seem taller) and fat, losing his hair and has a whiny, high-pitched voice. Beto's 6'5", athletic, a marathon runner with a rich baritone voice that is very expressive. Height - like hair - counts in Texas. And Beto has great hair. Molly Ivins would approve.

by Anonymousreply 64July 19, 2018 5:01 PM

Beto has had over 300 Town Halls so far, in every Texas county. That in itself is incredible. He takes questions from audience members and gives detailed answers not sound bytes. He even passes the mic to hostiles: right wingers and looney Bernie fans. This is truly grassroots politics. Don’t know if it’ll win, but he certainly deserves to.

by Anonymousreply 65July 19, 2018 6:24 PM

If anyone can, he can. I've said in other threads, the deplorables will not abandon Pres Bone Spurs BUT I do think they are alarmed enough to throw a few votes down ballot to Dems. Or enough of them are alarmed enough to help Dems. It is why you see 20+ point swings in districts who voted for him vs after he was inaugurated.

by Anonymousreply 66July 19, 2018 7:13 PM

On twitter I’ve noticed a bunch of old Republicans who were trolling Beto for Cruz seem to have fallen away since Trump’s Helsinki disaster. Though Cruz still pays a shitload of Russian bots who are delighted Cruz is still sucking Trump off.

by Anonymousreply 67July 19, 2018 10:00 PM

Fuck you, 62. (I won't link to you).

by Anonymousreply 68July 20, 2018 12:47 PM

He's too thin. He looks like he just stepped out of Auschwitz.

by Anonymousreply 69July 20, 2018 12:49 PM

Agree, he needs to bulk up.

by Anonymousreply 70July 20, 2018 1:02 PM

Beto has campaigned more than any candidate in history. His energy level is crazy. I follow his campaign and any other candidate would have dropped dead by now. He does Runs with Beto in the morning, followed by half a dozen Town Halls spread out in different Texas towns. And still flies back to DC for votes. Cruz sits on his fat ass, no Town Halls, nothing.

by Anonymousreply 71July 20, 2018 4:10 PM

I think it's funny that his wife's name is Amy Hoover Sanders. Where did all these people named Sanders suddenly come from?

by Anonymousreply 72July 20, 2018 5:27 PM

Texas won't flip in our lifetimes

by Anonymousreply 73July 20, 2018 5:29 PM

Need a Beto bumper sticker?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74July 20, 2018 5:43 PM

R73 The fuck it won't. I live here. There are many moderate Repugs who are done with Ted. They are done with being barraged with talking points from conservatives. They are done with propaganda. Enough of them that THIS race might be close. I think Lyin Ted will win and that will piss of the moderate Repugs even more. They're thirsty for change because they've known nothing but Repug rule and they are angry about many things.

by Anonymousreply 75July 20, 2018 6:00 PM

In Texas, you get the asshole teabaggers (Cruz and Patrick) and the corporate Republicans (Joe Straus). The corporate Republican who was the runner-up in the GOP primary against Cruz has endorsed Beto. There are plenty of people who have always voted Republican who hate Cruz's guts.

by Anonymousreply 76July 20, 2018 9:09 PM

R76 Cruz and Patrick are not well liked. I like Joe Straus for a repug. He is reasonable, old school repug who has stopped a lot of bad bills from the nut(tier) wing of the party. I wouldn't vote for him, ever. But I'd rather see him as Gov than Abbott.

by Anonymousreply 77July 20, 2018 9:25 PM

Straus single-handedly saved Texas from Patrick's lunacy. Now he's out of the game. Shame. He's the only Republican I have any respect for.

All those teabaggers who gave Texas a foreign policy (pro-Israel) evidently love Israel and hate Jews. Their harassment of Straus was classic anti-Semitism.

by Anonymousreply 78July 20, 2018 9:47 PM

Straus will be missed. A lot of House Repugs know he saved the state from the crazy Patrick shit. Fingers crossed that POS gets voted out. He is hated but I fear too many here will be hesitant to pull the lever for any Dem.

by Anonymousreply 79July 20, 2018 9:51 PM

Why do any of you live in Texas? You deserve what you get.

by Anonymousreply 80July 20, 2018 10:11 PM

R80 For real? Aren't you sweet.

How about we are needed if this state is to ever turn blue. There are very blue parts of the state. Family is here though we've all talked about moving to Canada.

by Anonymousreply 81July 20, 2018 10:29 PM

I think I posted above that I had not yet seen a Ted Cruz sign. Well yesterday I did (in West University, in Houston). There were two Beto signs on the same block. Of course signs only mean so much, but I think they are a fair indication of the enthusiasm for his campaign.

by Anonymousreply 82July 20, 2018 11:42 PM

I have long maintained that Beto will be the sleeper win causing the pundits to drool "WUT???" with their thumbs up their asses.

by Anonymousreply 83July 20, 2018 11:56 PM

R80 all the major cities of Texas (Houston, Dallas, San Antonio, Austin, El Paso) are Democratic. The sticks are GOP. We stay out of the sticks.

by Anonymousreply 84July 21, 2018 12:50 AM

Oh how I wish Molly Ivins was alive. She would give Cruz all kinds of hell.

by Anonymousreply 85July 21, 2018 12:53 AM

Oh Beto now the eyes of the world are watching you

by Anonymousreply 86July 21, 2018 2:08 AM

Beto spent the day at ICE centers meeting asylum seekers who were finally reunited with their kids. Ted Cruz spent the day trying to get James Gunn arrested.

by Anonymousreply 87July 22, 2018 2:04 AM

Beto's first TV ad. What do we say?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 88July 26, 2018 4:27 PM

Unfortunately he’s never going to be at Cruz. Texan deplorable’s would rather shoot themselves than vote for a Democrat

by Anonymousreply 89July 26, 2018 4:33 PM

R89 you should see the crowds at his rallies in Bumblefuck rightwing places like Midland and Amarillo.

by Anonymousreply 90July 26, 2018 4:36 PM

Fortunately, the number of Texas Republicans has been steadily shrinking while the number of Democrats has been rising. The talk of TX flipping blue is not new, it's been going on for years. If this guy is the one to do it, good for him. This is the state where Ann Richards was governor, it's not unheard of for Democrats to win here.

by Anonymousreply 91July 26, 2018 4:38 PM

Two polls out today: Cruz has an advance of 6 points on one, only 2 points on the other. That's within the margin of error. Beto can do this.

by Anonymousreply 92August 2, 2018 12:06 AM

I just sent him some cash.

by Anonymousreply 93August 2, 2018 12:18 AM

Cruz has ads out now in Houston touting his response to the hurricane.

by Anonymousreply 94August 4, 2018 11:11 AM

Why is this thread greyed out?

by Anonymousreply 95August 4, 2018 11:30 AM

[quote]Of course signs only mean so much, but I think they are a fair indication of the enthusiasm for his campaign.

The yard signs mean everything.

Signed, Resident of PA where Trump signs outnumbered Hillz by 10 to 1.

by Anonymousreply 96August 4, 2018 11:44 AM

He has the energy to take on a Presidential campaign. He could easily outdo Trump on the campaign trail.

Compare his energy and enthusiasm and youth to Hillary’s “I can’t stand up” sad campaign.

Plus, his height and the graying hair make him appear very Presidential.

by Anonymousreply 97August 4, 2018 11:47 AM

Beto's height is going to be a big plus in debates with Cruz. He towers over Cruz and in Texas height counts. So does hair (Molly Ivins) and Beto has great hair.

The schedule he has kept up campaigning is super-human. Absolutely amazing. He never looks tired and running as many as half a dozen Town Halls a day is brutal.

by Anonymousreply 98August 4, 2018 3:12 PM

You know as someone unaffiliated with Texas, besides sharing the same Union, I wasn't that impressed with Beto. You gentlemen have brought up some great points. I can't stand lazy politicians, I'm happy to hear that Beto is one of those people with a fire in his belly for the job.

Cruz has shown himself to be nothing more than an ugly show horse. I can't stand Trump, but it warms my heart to know that Cruz lost to the Donald and a sucked his cock after the guy talk shit about his wife and father. Cruz is a POS.

by Anonymousreply 99August 4, 2018 10:18 PM

Beto just needs to distance himself from the crazy BernorBusters crowds. He admitted he was the last superdelegate to vote for Hillary. Don't know if he changed his mind about the Berniecult now, esp since they snubbed him for some faux progressive and since Bernie more and more looks very shady and probably was a willing participant in Putin's game plan.

I like him a lot, I hope he wins. He has that ability to reach across party lines. Most importantly, he is not divisive. If he also shows he is tough as nails (which was the problem with Obama) and can get things done, he would make a great presidential candidate.

by Anonymousreply 100August 4, 2018 10:39 PM

I've seen several "Beto" bumper stickers and yard signs lately. They keep increasing every week.

The last time I saw a Democrat in my city with this many bumper stickers and signs was Obama in 2008. I hope that's a sign of things to come. Latinos have to vote, though, for him to stand a chance.

by Anonymousreply 101August 4, 2018 10:56 PM

R100 the BernieBros attack Beto non-stop, trying to suppress the vote. I assume they're paid by Cruz.

Today as Beto was driving with his family to a Town Hall in Del Rio (on the border), there were a couple of dogs wandering down the highway. So Beto stops, loads the dogs in the car and takes them to the nearest ASPCA to try to find their owners. And is late to his Town Hall.

I love this guy!

by Anonymousreply 102August 4, 2018 11:43 PM

[quote][R100] the BernieBros attack Beto non-stop

They did, don't know why Beto was so hostile towards Hillary though.

[italic]O’Rourke said Clinton also would be wise to take a page from Sanders’ book.[/italic]

[italic]“She needs to define her vision for the country; not just say ‘Vote for me because (Trump is) so awful,” O’Rourke said. “I think that’s something Bernie Sanders did an excellent job of.”[/italic]

This isn't exactly a quote that makes Beto look good in my view. Hillary had more than a clear concept and a strategy, she was often spot on. It was Bernie who was all about virtue signalling and platitudes.

Beto needs to move away from the loony lefties.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 103August 5, 2018 12:14 AM

R30 if a woman democrat can be governor of Texas (Ann Richards), Beto can be elected senator.

by Anonymousreply 104August 5, 2018 12:22 AM

He seems like a class act.

He has a broad enough appeal that I feel he might be the best shot to beat Trump.

I think he will beat Cruz... and then I hope he starts in on organizing for a Presidential run.

by Anonymousreply 105August 5, 2018 12:47 AM

R103 he isn't with the loony left and refused to say Bernie should run for President so they hate him. He also won't co-sponsor the Medicare for All bill - as it's totally loony as well and there's no way it could ever be funded, though he favors a mixed private insurance ACA/extending Medicare and Medicaid solution to ensure universal guaranteed coverage.

He has however adopted Bernie's tactic of refusing to accept corporate PACs and lobbyists' money, individual donors only - which is what I think he held against Hillary. She really was a 'corporate Dem'. I noticed that since Beto's been such a fundraising dynamo, both Kamala Harris and the ultimate Corporate Dem Cory Booker have announced they will no longer accept PAC money.

by Anonymousreply 106August 5, 2018 1:13 AM

I like Beto, I really hope he wins, I just wish he wouldn't pander to some shady lefties like appearing on TYT podcast and giving interviews to Cenk Uygur

by Anonymousreply 107August 5, 2018 1:21 AM

A guy on twitter has outted all the Russian bots supporting Cruz and attacking Beto. 3,000 accounts! Damn, Twitter needs another lockout. They also know these are Russian bots.

by Anonymousreply 108August 5, 2018 7:39 PM

r107 = appeasing "liberal", trying to drag us all towards the right of the centre.

by Anonymousreply 109August 5, 2018 7:46 PM

Cruz released 3 TV ads in Texas on Friday - 2 negatives full of lies and 1 in which he portrayed himself as the savior of Houston after the hurricane. The asshole only showed up in Texas for photo ops AND voted against the bill to fund hurricane relief.

In response, Beto started up a fundraising drive and got $1.3 million in one weekend.

Karma's a bitch, Lying Ted.

by Anonymousreply 110August 6, 2018 9:45 PM

No way Beto should run for Prez in 2020. He would be giving up a Blue Senate seat in a state where a Dem hasn't won statewide since 1994.

We shall see if he can withstand the onslaught of negative ads conservative groups will run on him. It gets brutal but Hillary got the closest any Democrat has gotten in TX in a generation.

by Anonymousreply 111August 6, 2018 9:53 PM

[quote]No way Beto should run for Prez in 2020. He would be giving up a Blue Senate seat in a state where a Dem hasn't won statewide since 1994.

I do t give a fuck about Texas’ Senate seat.

Beto should run for President because he’d make a great one, and he has a very good shot at winning.

by Anonymousreply 112August 7, 2018 12:01 AM

On the NBC Nightly News, Lester interviewed the black cop who infiltrated the KKK (Spike Lee's new movie about it). The cop - Ron Stallworth - was wearing a Beto for Senate T-shirt!

by Anonymousreply 113August 7, 2018 12:03 AM

[quote]I do t give a fuck about Texas’ Senate seat. Beto should run for President because he’d make a great one, and he has a very good shot at winning.

Absolutely idiotic. You *should* care. The Senate is the key to the Supreme Court for starters.

by Anonymousreply 114August 7, 2018 12:06 AM

R114 Exactly. If we had the Senate in 2016, we would have a liberal supreme court right now.

by Anonymousreply 115August 7, 2018 12:08 AM

It isn't impossible that Lupe can beat Rollin' Greg the psycho in which case she could replace Beto with another Dem.

by Anonymousreply 116August 7, 2018 12:10 AM

[quote]Exactly. If we had the Senate in 2016, we would have a liberal supreme court right now.

If you have Beto in the White House in place of Dump, you could also have a liberal Supreme Court.

by Anonymousreply 117August 7, 2018 12:19 AM

R117 How? You going to kill off all the younger conservative SCJ's?

R116 There are few things in life that are certain- Death, taxes, Prez Bone Spurs committing treason, Repugs destroying another great economy, Lady Gaga attempting yet another authentic reboot not realizing we all moved on 8 years ago, and Lupe getting STOMPED by Greg "I sit when I pee" Abbott.

by Anonymousreply 118August 7, 2018 1:07 AM

R118 I'm not so sure. Lupe's a Tejana - the first ever nominated for Gov. The fact she's an out lesbian won't help with the Tejano vote, but don't underestimate how angry Tejanos may be about Trump and Abbott sucks his dick. Abbott's a psycho. Makes you miss Rick Perry who was just stupid.

by Anonymousreply 119August 7, 2018 1:11 AM

R119 No, Greg and Rick were both equal sociopaths. Rick did real damage to this state. He was stopped by Speaker Straus who is sadly retiring. Lupe is not a great speaker. She elicits zero excitement. Fingers crossed I'm wrong because I would suck every dick on DL if I am.

by Anonymousreply 120August 7, 2018 1:13 AM

Perry wasn't a teabagger extremist like Abbott is. Remember Jade Helm when Obama was gonna invade Texas? That was a Russian hoax pushed by Abbott and Cruz. Abbott's trying to get this constitutional convention going in which case they would destroy civil rights and their fave: make it so the Governor appoints Senators to the US Senate. Can you imagine who crazy Greg would pick?

I already maxed out my contributions to Beto so now I'm donating to Lupe.

by Anonymousreply 121August 7, 2018 1:22 AM

If Beto isn't going to win, Lupe sure as hell isn't.

by Anonymousreply 122August 7, 2018 1:26 AM

[quote]If you have Beto in the White House in place of Dump, you could also have a liberal Supreme Court.

And that worked so well for Obama...

Please be quiet, the grown ups are talking.

by Anonymousreply 123August 7, 2018 1:44 AM

[quote]appeasing "liberal",

The only one appeasing here was Beto, somebody as disgusting as Cenk Uygur shouldn't be pandered to.

by Anonymousreply 124August 7, 2018 5:07 AM

Abbott is being dragged on Twitter for posting a false Churchill quote. The tweet has since been taken down, but not before Kevin Kruse and other historians piled on.

by Anonymousreply 125August 7, 2018 4:16 PM

R125 Saw it! Absolutely worth a trip to twitter to check out all the tweeters ripping Abbott to shreds.

by Anonymousreply 126August 7, 2018 4:25 PM

[quote]We shall see if he can withstand the onslaught of negative ads conservative groups will run on him. It gets brutal but Hillary got the closest any Democrat has gotten in TX in a generation.

Maybe Beto should do some appearance with Hillary.

by Anonymousreply 127August 7, 2018 10:23 PM

R127 She is out of politics now.

by Anonymousreply 128August 7, 2018 10:33 PM

He's not going to run for president in 2020. Maybe 2024.

by Anonymousreply 129August 7, 2018 10:33 PM

[quote][R127] She is out of politics now.

She can still campaign for candidates.

But I agree with 129, he's not ready for a run in 2020. He needs to win Texas and sway the senate to blue.

by Anonymousreply 130August 8, 2018 12:33 AM

R130 She doesn't want to. She had an election stolen from her and had the shit kicked out of her from all sides. Let her chillax if she wants.

by Anonymousreply 131August 8, 2018 12:36 AM

[quote]Maybe Beto should do some appearance with Hillary.

Please NO!! She is political poison... the toxic variety.

by Anonymousreply 132August 8, 2018 1:05 AM

R132 A little early in Moscow, no?

by Anonymousreply 133August 8, 2018 1:33 AM

[quote]A little early in Moscow, no?

No. I’m just pointing out that she’s a multi-election loser. And her unfavorable ratings are off the chart.

Someone young with fresh ideas like Beto would be wise to steer clear of her and her poor reputation.

by Anonymousreply 134August 8, 2018 1:37 AM

R134 Sure, Jan. Or Sure, Vlad.

by Anonymousreply 135August 8, 2018 1:48 AM

Dimitri @ R134 keeps forgetting that Hillary won the popular vote by 3 million, all three debates and was ahead in the polls 98% of the times, got as many votes as Obama in 2012 and beat Bernie's stinky Russian ass by 4 million in the primaries.

by Anonymousreply 136August 8, 2018 1:51 AM

This thread is about Beto. He is great.

by Anonymousreply 137August 8, 2018 1:54 AM

Texans hate it when 'outsiders' intervene in their politics. Cruz keeps trying to link Beto to 'Hollywood' but it's Cruz who chased after Kimmel to get on his show and who posts pics of himself with has-beens (Woods, Stallone, Nugent - none of whom live in Texas). Beto's being very careful there to underline his Texas roots. The only celebs I've seen him photographed with are Willie Nelson and McConaughey - both Texas residents and voters.

by Anonymousreply 138August 8, 2018 2:28 AM

How's the hottie doing?

by Anonymousreply 139August 8, 2018 2:35 AM

There are a lot of naive people on here. O'Rourke winning in TEXAS of all places is plausible but not very likely. But the idea he will turn around and run for PRESIDENT less than two years after he is elected Senator is just laughable.

by Anonymousreply 140August 8, 2018 2:37 AM

R140 Plausible but unlikely, yes.

If he wins, this would be the year with the Dem enthusiasm.

Beto is a great candidate.

by Anonymousreply 141August 8, 2018 3:03 AM

Beto is ready for prime time. He’d be a great vice-Presidential candidate as well.

by Anonymousreply 142August 8, 2018 3:17 AM

Beto's a rock star like Obama.

by Anonymousreply 143August 8, 2018 3:18 AM

Hillary visited Galveston in the spring of 2017 for the commissioning ceremony of a ship. I think she is popular here among Democrats. I don't think that she would help Beto, though, because he needs to draw suppport from Independents and Republicans sick of Cruz. So many people hate her for no good reason.

My sense is that Hispanics respect the fact he actually speaks Spanish-- unlike Cruz. When I saw Beto speak, he was introduced by Sheila Jackson Lee in a black area. I hope the black vote turns out for him.

by Anonymousreply 144August 8, 2018 3:19 AM

Hillary is very popular with Hispanics, she beat both Obama in 2008 by 67% to 31% and Bernie in '16 with 61% to 37% ... despite Bernie's staff stealing 2 ballot boxes

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 145August 8, 2018 4:12 AM

Please stop talking about Hillary.

Nobody cares.

She is a past failure, and we need to be aiming toward future success.

by Anonymousreply 146August 8, 2018 12:36 PM

Yes. Please. Stop.

by Anonymousreply 147August 8, 2018 12:38 PM

Not talking about Hillary means the election was legitimate. Both the alt right loons and the BernorBusters would never acknowledge the election was stolen.

by Anonymousreply 148August 8, 2018 6:53 PM

Any shirtless pics?

by Anonymousreply 149August 8, 2018 6:54 PM

Loved the fucking BernieBros who voted Green Party in Ohio and handed the election to Trump. Fuck you to hell.

by Anonymousreply 150August 8, 2018 7:27 PM

[quote]Please stop talking about Hillary. Nobody cares.

R146 stayed at home on Nov 8 2016, because he didn't care.

by Anonymousreply 151August 8, 2018 7:53 PM

This thread is about Beto O’Rourke, not November 2016.

Now back on topic, I feel that Beto would be a great running mate for Kamala Harris.

by Anonymousreply 152August 8, 2018 11:49 PM

Wow, the crazy far (fake) left still doesn't get it. Enjoy your decades of a conservative judiciary from top to bottom. Is that a win? Is that winning by throwing away your vote? LMFAO

by Anonymousreply 153August 9, 2018 12:08 AM

Beto is goofy-handsome.

by Anonymousreply 154August 9, 2018 12:17 AM

HOT!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 155August 9, 2018 12:50 AM

In person, he's got an electric presence. He may be the first Dem politician in Texas who gets the vote of those fucking white women who voted for Trump.

by Anonymousreply 156August 9, 2018 12:57 AM

R94 the Houston Chronicle just fucked Ted up about his bullshit claims to have helped Houston after the hurricane.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 157August 9, 2018 1:01 AM

Cruz's campaign manager an NRA bitch from California today compared Beto to a Triple Meat Whataburger - like that's an insult. Whataburger is sacred in Texas.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 158August 10, 2018 4:09 AM

Beto is a good looking dude, he may as well use this to his advantage, JFK and Obama did it and why shouldn't Beto.

by Anonymousreply 159August 11, 2018 8:07 AM

Is a "whataburger" something real?

by Anonymousreply 160August 11, 2018 10:51 AM

R160 damn, are you joking? Whataburger's sacred in Texas. Like HEB and Blue Bell are.

by Anonymousreply 161August 11, 2018 7:36 PM

R159 I notice tons of college age girls (who normally never bother to vote) showing up at his Town Halls with Hearts-Eyes. He's got a lot of fangirls. Cruz of course has none.

by Anonymousreply 162August 11, 2018 7:38 PM

Cruz is disgusting.

by Anonymousreply 163August 11, 2018 9:03 PM

When Beto gets a crowd of 750 showing up on a Monday morning in Tyler, Texas (asshole Louie Gohmert is their Rep and it's so red, the Dems don't even bother to run a candidate against him), something's definitely up.

by Anonymousreply 164August 14, 2018 4:14 PM

If somebody deserves to win, it's him.

by Anonymousreply 165August 14, 2018 10:06 PM

Remember how Ted Cruz’s old college roommate started tweeting nonstop about what a notorious creep Cruz was in college? He said that Cruz gave everybody the willies anytime he was around, had no friends at all, and said really disgusting and offensive things all the time, even about someone’s mother? He said that Cruz was so embittered by being socially rejected that he did and said such vile things to make it seem like he “wasn’t there to make friends” even though he desperately was.

Meanwhile, Beto O’Rourke has college friends campaigning for him. He played music with members from the ultimate El Paso indie band At The Drive-In. Pre-social media era, too, so this is who Beto really is. Someone capable of having and maintaining real friendships spanning more than 20 years, someone who is has real interests, and is so much cooler than that Campbell’s Soup lapping ghoul Ted Cruz could ever even conceive of being.

by Anonymousreply 166August 14, 2018 10:30 PM

Cruz's Cambridge Analytica trolls on twitter & Facebook have been pushing an edited video of Beto quarreling with a Catholic priest while he was on the El Paso City Council. The priest was trying to get El Paso to enact laws against same-sex marriage. Beto, a Catholic, was defending same-sex marriage and attacked the Church's record on pedophile priests and counciling people in Africa not to use condoms so they can more easily contract HIV.

Kinda backfired with this morning's headlines.

by Anonymousreply 167August 15, 2018 4:24 PM

Cruz is a fucking retard who is wrong on every issue. Beto is the complete opposite.

by Anonymousreply 168August 15, 2018 7:12 PM

Beto's response to a hostile question about NFL Players taking a knee. Incredibly well-thought out answer. He can talk without a prepared text forever and do it succinctly and intelligently. He's smart as hell.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 169August 21, 2018 11:51 PM

Fuck. He's got something to offer. Wow.

by Anonymousreply 170August 22, 2018 12:17 AM

I need to suck his dick RIGHT NOW!

by Anonymousreply 171August 22, 2018 12:20 AM

So he's a guy without a ton of experience, but he's got that same thing Obama had that transcends the degree to which anything is a gap... he is smart, articulate but he actually knows what the fuck he is talking about. He's formidable. not in Texas, but so hope he slays the dragon.

by Anonymousreply 172August 22, 2018 12:22 AM

Last weekend he went skateboarding in a Whataburger parking lot after a night of campaigning.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 173August 22, 2018 12:43 AM

the skateboarding at Whataburger was to give the finger to Cruz. Cruz had attacked Beto as a Triple Meat Whataburger liberal. Problem is, and Cruz is soooo not a Texan, Texans love Whataburger and a Triple Meat Whataburger is their idea of heaven. Cruz is such a clueless clod.

by Anonymousreply 174August 22, 2018 1:06 AM

Cruz’s favorite food is Campbell’s soup, R174. Just think about that. Of course he thinks calling someone a Whataburger is an insult. He probably likes beans in his chili, too. Fake Texan, just like W.

by Anonymousreply 175August 22, 2018 1:12 AM

I love Beto. So cute and sweet. Loves dogs.

by Anonymousreply 176August 22, 2018 5:58 AM

R173 That's pretty cool. I found the complete video below. His campaigning style is reminding me of Bill Clinton.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 177August 22, 2018 6:09 AM

He's a mix of Kennedy, Clinton and Obama.

by Anonymousreply 178August 22, 2018 6:22 AM

Cruz going down in flames is in my top 5 fondest political wishes.

by Anonymousreply 179August 22, 2018 1:18 PM

I wonder what he looks like nude - abs? Maybe not, but probably a nice solid slightly hairy chest. Beautiful nips. Pubes, but trimmed (I'm a shave preferrer, but I know most guys want pubes).

To me, knowing what I know about his personality, and combining that with his handsomeness, he's the most attractive man at the moment -- more attractive than any porn star or actor.

I really, really, really like him all around.

If he wins, he could find himself very prominent in people's minds to be the Dem nominee. A dream...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 180August 22, 2018 2:08 PM

He’s the ideal Presidential candidate for 2020.

I like Kamala Harris as his running mate.

by Anonymousreply 181August 22, 2018 2:38 PM

Agreed, R181!! Great combo.

by Anonymousreply 182August 22, 2018 2:39 PM

He's very athletic. He's a marathon runner and takes supporters along for Runs with Beto. He was also captain of the rowing team at Columbia, so he's very tall and lanky but also very fit. Hell, Ted Cruz is only 2 years older but looks like he could be Beto's father.

Just realized Beto and Barack Obama have the same initials and both are grads of Columbia.

by Anonymousreply 183August 22, 2018 3:49 PM

Can you imagine him younger, with more muscle, in a Spandex-blend uni(suit)? Holy shit... ]

And if he's uncut... OMG amazing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 184August 22, 2018 4:03 PM

That video of him explaining his stance on the football players and why they kneel has been viewed more than 4 Million times!!!!

Vamos Beto!!!!!!!

Many have retweeted as well. Some celebs, too.

by Anonymousreply 185August 22, 2018 6:22 PM

Celebs, too???? WOW!!!!

by Anonymousreply 186August 22, 2018 6:46 PM

I don't care if he loses in November. He's too much of a rockstar to disappear from the national stage just because he lives in a backwards red state.

If a corrupt person like Trump can run and win with zero political experience, then Beto can run, too. Naysayers can just seethe.

by Anonymousreply 187August 22, 2018 6:47 PM

R164 OMG That's my hometown. One of the scariest, reddest, bible-est, sickest places in the US. (and often cited in JFK assassination conspiracy theories.) 750 doesn't sound like a lot, but in Tyler that's amazing.

by Anonymousreply 188August 22, 2018 7:01 PM

You can pull off one unknown (o'Rourke) but not two (Beto and Kamala.). Nobody outside DL and California really knows who Harris is. Don't get greedy.

by Anonymousreply 189August 22, 2018 9:35 PM

R189, everyone in the nation knew who Hillary was, and we all know how that turned out.

by Anonymousreply 190August 22, 2018 9:37 PM

OK that doesn't make a lot of sense, R190,. but feel good about it.

by Anonymousreply 191August 22, 2018 9:38 PM

NBC just came out with a poll that heavily favors the GOP in Texas EXCEPT for the Senate race: Beto only trails Cruz by 4 points. He can win this.

by Anonymousreply 192August 22, 2018 10:22 PM

Ellen D wants to meet Beto!!!!!!!

Suck it, R186!!!

by Anonymousreply 193August 22, 2018 11:53 PM

If he loses, he should seriously consider a 2020 run. Even if he loses by single digits, that would still be seen as a massive shocker in TX and he should ride that momentum to a White House run. I think he could get the nomination.

by Anonymousreply 194August 23, 2018 12:09 AM

^ I think that's optimistic.

by Anonymousreply 195August 23, 2018 12:14 AM

He makes me moist

by Anonymousreply 196August 23, 2018 12:17 AM

The wind is at his back. His video response about taking a knee has gone megaviral.

I predict that the next polls taken after that video went wide will have him tied with Cruz or up by 1.

A few more big moments that connect like that and he can win this.

by Anonymousreply 197August 23, 2018 12:29 AM

R157 he absolutely has to get more TV coverage - plenty of people in Texas aren't on social media. Ellen tweeted she wants to meet him and that would be an ideal venue.

by Anonymousreply 198August 23, 2018 12:57 AM

I think Beto appearing on Ellen would be a terrible idea. I'm sure she has good intentions but the minute he does anything like that, he'll be branded a Hollywood sellout/corrupt lib. His biggest strength right now - aside from his intelligence and general suitability for the job - is his independence. I think that will go a much longer way in a place like TX than an easy PR stunt.

by Anonymousreply 199August 23, 2018 8:32 PM

What Ellen could do is come out to Texas, film a Beto Town Hall. Ellen grew up in Texas as well as Louisiana, so she's kind of a local girl. I have noticed Beto is careful to be photographed only with celebs who are also Texas voters (Willie N and Matthew M).

by Anonymousreply 200August 23, 2018 9:02 PM

He’s wise to keep his distance from the Hollywood types.

by Anonymousreply 201August 24, 2018 12:52 AM

I'd never heard that Ellen spent time in Texas growing up. She's more identified with Louisiana. National tv would be a bad idea. Incidentally, the Harris County (Houston) Democrats ran out of signs and bumper stickers. He keeps gaining visibility here.

by Anonymousreply 202August 24, 2018 12:56 AM

Ellen lived for years in Port Arthur, just along the coast from Louisiana - also Janis Joplin's hometown.

by Anonymousreply 203August 24, 2018 2:37 AM

BuzzFeed Need is on it. Good article.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 204August 24, 2018 5:42 AM

Cruz is leading by 4 points (source: newest poll).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 205August 24, 2018 5:45 AM

Texas Monthly today.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 206August 24, 2018 5:45 AM

If he wins, it'll show cowardly Republicans that they won't necessarily keep their seats by slavishly obeying Trump.

by Anonymousreply 207August 24, 2018 5:47 AM

Official donation page.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 208August 24, 2018 5:48 AM

[quote]And if he's uncut...

Why would be be uncut?

by Anonymousreply 209August 24, 2018 5:49 AM

merch.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 210August 24, 2018 5:50 AM

I really think we have our presidential nominee. If he wins.

Beautiful sweaty man.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 211August 24, 2018 5:54 AM

Hope.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 212August 24, 2018 6:02 AM

^ BDF ^

by Anonymousreply 213August 24, 2018 6:03 AM

Esquire UK

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 214August 24, 2018 6:04 AM

Esquire US.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 215August 24, 2018 6:05 AM

Town & Country

[quote] “It dawns on me: They don’t think I’m Beto, they think I’m Joe Kennedy, or at least some Kennedy,” O’Rourke says. Finally he confessed, “'I’m not who you think I am. I’m Beto. From El Paso.’ I could just see the thrill go out of their eyes.”

[quote] Luckily, the real Joe Kennedy was nearby, so O’Rourke went back to the table and grabbed him to come pose for some photos.

[quote] “Beto is often referred to as the best-looking Kennedy in Washington,” says Joe Kennedy, who is now close enough friends with O’Rourke to have borrowed his dress shirt one time when he arrived at an event while covered in coffee stains. “Which wouldn’t be so bad if I weren’t standing right next to him when it happens.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 216August 24, 2018 6:08 AM

I'm buying a shirt and I'm not in Texas.

by Anonymousreply 217August 24, 2018 6:13 AM

No matter how handsome and charismatic, he's still a Texan. Yuck.

by Anonymousreply 218August 24, 2018 10:15 AM

^ Hi, Troll 5192! Are you ready for Muriel to ding you again?

by Anonymousreply 219August 24, 2018 10:19 AM

R219, mistaken identity. I'm not Troll 5192 or any other troll. Therefore, Muriel will not "ding" me. You do not have to be a troll to intensely dislike Texas and Texans.

by Anonymousreply 220August 24, 2018 10:37 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 221August 24, 2018 10:42 AM

R221, brilliant trolling.

by Anonymousreply 222August 24, 2018 10:46 AM

Beto: same first name Robert Francis as RFK. Beto: same initials as Barack Obama and both are Columbia grads. Too many coincidences: he'll be President.

by Anonymousreply 223August 24, 2018 3:09 PM

From your mouth, r223...

by Anonymousreply 224August 24, 2018 3:10 PM

Getting this one

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 225August 24, 2018 3:19 PM

His wife's daddy may be a billionaire, but she's a modest, attractive graduate of Williams and an elementary school teacher who is also bilingual and taught school in Guatemala for several years. They have 3 photogenic kids too. Another RFK coincidence: Beto's kid sister (who calls herself Bear) is mentally handicapped so he's very aggressively an advocate for disability rights.

by Anonymousreply 226August 24, 2018 3:21 PM

Texas suppressing the vote.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 227August 24, 2018 4:12 PM

R227 typical - Rolling Greg Abbott is a psycho, a Russian tool as well as an idiot.

by Anonymousreply 228August 24, 2018 8:55 PM

I want him inside me quite deeply.

by Anonymousreply 229August 24, 2018 9:02 PM

I couldn’t stand Hillary, but I would definitely vote for this guy.

by Anonymousreply 230August 24, 2018 10:56 PM

Cute family.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 231August 24, 2018 11:40 PM

The wife looks a bit homely for someone as hot and charismatic as he is.

by Anonymousreply 232August 24, 2018 11:44 PM

The wife's a lot younger than he is - she's in her mid-30s. She's the no-makeup, intellectual type. Very tall and thin but no glamour girl. She said while he's on the road, they read the same chapters of the same book and then discuss what they've read each night on the phone. They were re-reading War and Peace.

by Anonymousreply 233August 25, 2018 12:22 AM

Priorities.

Democrats running in Texas elections are calling for the decriminalization of illegally crossing the United States border.

While campaigning in south Texas, Rep. Robert O’Rourke who is running against incumbent Sen. Ted Cruz for U.S. Senate, declared that illegal entry should not be a criminal matter.

“These asylum seekers — penniless, at wit’s end, after surviving three weeks on the road, very often with their children — then attempt to do what I think any human would do, which is request asylum in between the ports of entry,” O’Rourke said. “We should not criminalize that.”

O’Rourke failed to mention that entering the United States via ports of entry and requesting asylum is not currently a crime. Individuals who sneak into the United States between ports of entry commit a criminal act.

by Anonymousreply 234August 25, 2018 12:47 AM

Dumbass R234 - people sneak in because they get turned away at the ports of entry. Then they surrender to authorities and ask for asylum. Beto has discussed this extensively, so has the Border Patrol.

By the way, the shrimp industry in Texas is dying off as there aren't enough people to man the boats. Produce is dying in the fields in Texas because there is nobody to pick crops. Maybe coal mining Trumpsters can come down from West Virginia and do those jobs? They'll have to lay off the opioids though.

by Anonymousreply 235August 25, 2018 1:10 AM

I just voted in the Houston bond election. I'm dining in Midtown and just saw someone walking down Main St in a Beto t-shirt. I'm feeling hopeful.

by Anonymousreply 236August 25, 2018 11:51 PM

On twitter most of Cruz's supposed supporters turn out to be Russian bots or religious psychos in South Carolina.

Beto had an overflow crowd in fucking Navasota today which voted 70% for Trump.

On twitter all these people are trying to push Beto to run for President. I'm sure he won't but that has to be driving Cruz totally crazy. He doesn't give a shit about being Senator for Texas, he wants to be President. Spends no time in Texas but visited all 99 of Iowa's counties.

by Anonymousreply 237August 26, 2018 1:29 AM

If you're still interested in the Texas border region, read this longish article about Beto campaigning in border counties and what local Latino politicians think.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 238August 26, 2018 7:40 PM

R238 great article also in Buzzfeed. What they don't mention in either of these articles is that politics in the Valley (Rio Grande Valley for non-Texans) is ruled by old-fashioned political bosses. They demand payment for support. They approached Beto and he refused to give them their usual payouts to get voter turnout. So they screwed him, telling voters to vote for Sema Hernandez. Hernandez is a high-school dropout with no political experience. Her sole qualification for running for office was that she was an active Bernie supporter on Facebook. She never campaigned and yet got a big percentage of the Primary vote in the Valley.

by Anonymousreply 239August 27, 2018 2:36 AM

Interesting, r239.

by Anonymousreply 240August 27, 2018 2:51 AM

More info on Beto's wife & kids. Interesting that IMHO facially Mr. & Mrs look similar. I like her based on what I've read. Yes that's an important point to many voters.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 241August 27, 2018 5:33 AM

[quote]Interesting that IMHO facially Mr. & Mrs look similar.

No, they don't.

by Anonymousreply 242August 27, 2018 6:02 AM

[quote]facially Mr. & Mrs look similar

You mean they're both smiling.

by Anonymousreply 243August 27, 2018 9:37 AM

I love that this thread is still going strong after 1 1/2 months even though the all the deplorables and I am sure also the rabid Bernorbusters have f&fed it.

by Anonymousreply 244August 27, 2018 10:20 AM

r241 They look similar in that they are both high in that photo.

by Anonymousreply 245August 27, 2018 1:25 PM

R242, Did you misinterpret my statement? Beto didn't choose the stereotypical TX blond cheerleader-type but someone with similar hair and eye color that could have been a relative. Like him, she's also bilingual. I meant that they're in sync by their body language as well.

R243, Yes, they both have very bright, wide smiles and a very healthy, energetic look. Wide appeal, as opposed to Cruz.

by Anonymousreply 246August 27, 2018 2:57 PM

They do look a bit alike: long, aquiline noses, big eyes. She's also tall and thin. As Beto's 6'5" and she's taller than his shoulder, she must be at least 5'10".

Beto's tribute to John McCain given during a Town Hall just after the news of his death was announced has gone viral.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 247August 27, 2018 3:32 PM

Holy shit, new poll:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 248August 27, 2018 4:20 PM

Could it really happen?

by Anonymousreply 249August 27, 2018 4:43 PM

If O’Rourke wins... then he should be the Dem Presidential nominee in 2020.

by Anonymousreply 250August 27, 2018 5:27 PM

If Beto wins, he will be the Dem nominee. A Dem who can carry Texas = 100% winner.

by Anonymousreply 251August 27, 2018 5:34 PM

It is time to send Beto a few bucks folks.

by Anonymousreply 252August 27, 2018 10:29 PM

All the other possible nominees leave a lot to be desired and none of them have charisma: Warren, Harris, Booker, etc. They aren't exciting. Beto is. He could get people to the polls.

by Anonymousreply 253August 27, 2018 10:30 PM

I'm a teacher and my students are very interested in Beto, without any prompting from me. I was also shocked that several had seen his remarks on the NFL protest. This... from kids who thought that Joe Biden is the current VP.

by Anonymousreply 254August 27, 2018 10:31 PM

Is he really 6'5"? I know he's tall but 6'5" is very tall.

by Anonymousreply 255August 27, 2018 10:44 PM

Yeah, he's 6'5". Interesting article in Texas Monthly - which used to be a fairly liberal rag but has vered GOP the last few years about Beto's chances to run for President.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 256August 28, 2018 12:11 AM

Re: the poll at R248, my prediction at R197 was essentially correct.

That video might win him the race.

by Anonymousreply 257August 28, 2018 1:58 AM

[quote]What they don't mention in either of these articles is that politics in the Valley (Rio Grande Valley for non-Texans) is ruled by old-fashioned political bosses. They demand payment for support.

Wow, this is stunning to hear. I became familiar with this practice in Robert Caro's bio of Lyndon Johnson "Means of Ascent." Why does this practice still thrive? Relative isolation of smaller towns and the tendency for families to remain and consolidate power?

by Anonymousreply 258August 28, 2018 3:07 AM

R258 yep and Beto wouldn't play ball with him so they drove up votes for Sema Hernandez a total idiot BernieSis.

by Anonymousreply 259August 28, 2018 3:51 AM

Do you think Obama will come to Texas and campaign with Beto?

by Anonymousreply 260August 28, 2018 4:23 AM

I like how he's not trying to be a national star, like Ocasio-Cortez, and is focusing entirely on Texas. He's going from town to town in Texas, rather than doing lots of interviews on CNN or MSNBC. He's winning voters over with that strategy.

by Anonymousreply 261August 28, 2018 4:28 AM

He certainly has the Kennedy horse teeth, doesn't he?

That having been typed, anybody who has the backing of Willie and Family is jake with me.

by Anonymousreply 262August 28, 2018 4:50 AM

[quote]O'Rourke/Duckworth 2020?

I love that combination!

... and Kamala for SS

by Anonymousreply 263August 28, 2018 4:57 AM

I would very much like to know how/why Kamala Harris failed to hold SteveN Mnuchin accountable when she was CA AG.

[quot]Prosecutors in the state’s Justice Department wanted to file a civil enforcement action against the company for “widespread misconduct,” but the attorney general at the time, Kamala Harris, overrode the recommendation and declined to prosecute. She never gave a reason.

by Anonymousreply 264August 28, 2018 5:02 AM

Sorry, forgot link.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 265August 28, 2018 5:03 AM

I hope Ted's wife has a mental breakdown, strips naked and smears shit over a store (while wearing her pearls, of course) shortly before the election.

by Anonymousreply 266August 28, 2018 5:13 AM

[quote] but the attorney general at the time, Kamala Harris, overrode the recommendation and declined to prosecute.

that is to say, too many important democrats would have been brought down with Mnuchin.

by Anonymousreply 267August 28, 2018 5:48 AM

R266 Heidi Cruz married Lying Ted and didn't live with him for years, sticking with her job with Goldman Sachs when Cruz went back to Texas, having been given a crony job as Solicitor General. She finally moved to Austin and left her job to live with him.

The Austin PD had to rescue her from a suicide attempt. She was threatening to throw herself into traffic on MoPac, a highway running through the center of Austin. The cops took her to Austin State Hospital for observation and she did a stint in a psychiatric hospital.

by Anonymousreply 268August 28, 2018 2:15 PM

R263, agreed. Great ticket.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 269August 28, 2018 2:20 PM

He makes my mussy wetter than Houston after Harvey!

by Anonymousreply 270August 28, 2018 2:22 PM

He does have some horse teeth. But he’s the best candidate.

by Anonymousreply 271August 28, 2018 2:24 PM

He's the real deal. Not some young Bernie socialist who says that a call to debate is misogynistic. Even Obama learned how inexperienced he was going into the Presidency, but it sure didn't stop him from learning. Or cause him to make excuses!

by Anonymousreply 272August 28, 2018 5:58 PM

I fear that the DNC will ignore Beto and push some loser like Gillibrand instead.

by Anonymousreply 273August 28, 2018 6:02 PM

Why was OP red tagged?

by Anonymousreply 274August 28, 2018 6:03 PM

Probably something un-Beto-related, r274.

by Anonymousreply 275August 28, 2018 6:10 PM

Probably said something bad about Hillary...like she has cankles, R274.

by Anonymousreply 276August 28, 2018 6:13 PM

r273 The DNC tried to ignore Obama too, until they couldn't anymore. At one point (I believe this was on Colbert's old show), Donna Brazile pooh-poohed the fact that Obama is black by saying he isn't the right kind of African-American because his roots are from Kenya, not West Africa, where most former slaves were from (according to her anyway).

by Anonymousreply 277August 28, 2018 6:28 PM

^No, wait, it was on Jon Stewart.

by Anonymousreply 278August 28, 2018 6:29 PM

So Beto is going to be on the Ellen show, on September the 5th.

I hope that he stays away from celebrities, for the most part.

Fucking Rafael is waiting to pounce on any perceived wrong done by Beto, including fraternizing with the “Hollywood elite” whoever that is.

by Anonymousreply 279August 28, 2018 6:56 PM

Ouch, R279, bad move by him, going on Ellen...

by Anonymousreply 280August 28, 2018 6:57 PM

[quote] He's the real deal. Not some young Bernie socialist who says that a call to debate is misogynistic

Erm, excuse me there are a slew of progressive candidates in the primaries backed by Bernie, but only one of them was challenged to a debate, a female AND the asshole calling for her to debate him isn’t running for office. No hon, a man doesn’t get to pile on the female candidate and demand a debate then call her a coward. She should’ve said something more along the l8nes of “Fuck off. I’ll debate you when you run against me in an election. Until then, go back to your corner and think about the difference between a candidate for office and an attention-seeking alt right twerp.”

But yes, I definitely think there was sexism going on. He didn’t ask Bernie to debate him, and Bernie’s been around for years. As soon as this young women shows up on the political scene & says “democratic socialist” the RWNJs went berserk.

And AOC appeared in Firing Line recently, so she’s perfectly willing to sit down with the conservative host of a political talk show, Just not with runty Ben Shapiro who’s been basically stalking her.

RWNJs hate women, They’re all about screaming for the scalps of Nancy Pelosi, Frederica Wilson, Diane Feinstein, Elizabeth Warren, AOC, Maxine Waters, Hillary. Their old targets were Janet Reno, Barbara Boxer and Cecile Richards. They never attack democratic men the way they attack democratic women because they know they’ll get the deplorable-incel vote with their He Man Woman Haters Club.

by Anonymousreply 281August 28, 2018 7:02 PM

Thank you R281. Consider me schooled. However, I would have learned more from her had she addressed the challenge in a different way. I'm old. I expect a certain amount of civility and directness, which is why I love Beto. And like it or not, us olds do vote.

by Anonymousreply 282August 28, 2018 7:13 PM

Beto has incredible sex appeal.

by Anonymousreply 283August 28, 2018 7:50 PM

I find it quite credible.

by Anonymousreply 284August 28, 2018 7:51 PM

He has Big Dick Face.

by Anonymousreply 285August 28, 2018 7:56 PM

Beto's kept his distance from Hollywood celebs despite their support for him. Cruz has a new ad out lying about Beto's positions. Cruz's staff are the biggest liars and scumbags in the business. Beto refuses to indulge in tit for tat. Hope that isn't a mistake. Cruz is truly shameless.

The Washington Times today (solid rightwing publication) had an article throwing shade at Cruz for the fact all the GOP Senators and donors hate him and he's having a hard time fundraising.

by Anonymousreply 286August 28, 2018 7:58 PM

Cruz is human trash.

by Anonymousreply 287August 28, 2018 8:00 PM

Great new article about the Senate race on GQ.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 288August 28, 2018 8:08 PM

Cruz is the biggest asshole in Texas. I hope he crashes and burns on Election Day.

by Anonymousreply 289August 28, 2018 8:25 PM

Beto is the next President... I called it a long time ago in one of the many other threads.

by Anonymousreply 290August 28, 2018 8:27 PM

R290, Why are you pushing Beto to run in 2020 rather than wait until 2024? As much as I like his style, energy, presentation (and that of his wife, a real rarity,) and much of his substance, he would be in a much stronger position with the entire electorate if he waited until the next election cycle. Meaning he'd be able to clearly demonstrate what he could accomplish in TX, a very challenging state to represent.

by Anonymousreply 291August 28, 2018 10:16 PM

R291, who should run in 2020? So Beto in 2024 or 2028?

by Anonymousreply 292August 28, 2018 10:26 PM

I don't think Beto would run - he criticized Cruz enough for having started his Presidential campaign 6 months after he was elected.

But Trump - this is no ordinary time. This is make-or-break democracy time if Trump is still in office in 2020. And frankly, none of the other Dems have the charisma to pull it off. Dull, duller and dullest. Nobody can fire people up like Beto. He's a great orator in the Obama/Bill C/RFK vein and that's what we'll need. Hopefully, Trump'll be out and anybody can defeat little robot Pence.

by Anonymousreply 293August 28, 2018 10:29 PM

[quote]Why are you pushing Beto to run in 2020 rather than wait until 2024?

Because he can beat Dump... and no other potential candidate can.

He has the “IT” factor, and nobody else does. Much like Obama in 2008.

His time is NOW, and he needs to run.

by Anonymousreply 294August 28, 2018 10:35 PM

Ellen...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 295August 28, 2018 10:35 PM

Nobody should care what “GOP pollsters” have to say, R295.

by Anonymousreply 296August 28, 2018 10:48 PM

The fact that “GOP pollsters” are going after Beto and commenting on his “Ellen” appearance... means they know he is a credible national threat for 2020, already in 2018.

by Anonymousreply 297August 28, 2018 10:50 PM

The concern is that it'll become national like the Georgia special election, with celebs donating tons of money and turning off voters.

by Anonymousreply 298August 28, 2018 10:51 PM

Even if he loses against Cruz (unlikely), he’s still the best potential candidate to run against Dump.

by Anonymousreply 299August 28, 2018 10:57 PM

Both the Trumpers and the BernorBusters don't like Beto.

by Anonymousreply 300August 28, 2018 10:59 PM

Avoid the celebs for now.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 301August 28, 2018 10:59 PM

He’s smart enough that avoid the celebs. He’s just going to do a fluff interview with Ellen to put his name into the national discourse. Smart move.

by Anonymousreply 302August 28, 2018 11:16 PM

Celebs are going to start promoting him, tweeting, donating, and making sure the media cover it. Not good.

by Anonymousreply 303August 28, 2018 11:17 PM

Gushing fanboy viral videos from celebs in 3.. 2.. 1.

by Anonymousreply 304August 28, 2018 11:19 PM

I've never been to a Whataburger. Why is it called a Triple MEAT Whataburger? Is it not all beef? (I kinda hope there's some pork fat in it.)

by Anonymousreply 305August 28, 2018 11:20 PM

Three cow flesh patties, R305.

by Anonymousreply 306August 28, 2018 11:21 PM

Obama, Biden, Hillary, Bernie, Kamala all have been on Ellen.

by Anonymousreply 307August 28, 2018 11:29 PM

Well Obama and Biden have won their respective races, so who fuckin cares?!

by Anonymousreply 308August 28, 2018 11:43 PM

If he wins in Texas I would actually dread seeing him give up the seat to become president.

by Anonymousreply 309August 29, 2018 12:31 AM

R309, if he loses the Presidency...he still retains his Senate seat until 2024. So not seeing the harm in him running in 2020??!!!

by Anonymousreply 310August 29, 2018 12:42 AM

The Ellen show with Beto is supposed to be El Paso themed: Stevie Nicks will be on (she's from El Paso) so will the El Paso black cop Spike Lee made the movie Blackkkklansman about.

Ellen grew up in Texas in Port Arthur so she's a 'local girl'.

by Anonymousreply 311August 29, 2018 12:45 AM

Total Texas Themed Ellen Show!!!

by Anonymousreply 312August 29, 2018 12:51 AM

This is going to be bad. Already GQ and Esquire are writing about him. Anna Wintour will champion him. A cotton farmer's daughter in north Texas who goes to Walmart might be turned off... Maybe.

Streisand, Clooney, etc. better not donate: names of donors are public.

by Anonymousreply 313August 29, 2018 1:18 AM

[quote]This is going to be bad.

You are underestimating how disgusting Cruz is and how much he is hated.

by Anonymousreply 314August 29, 2018 1:22 AM

[quote]Because he can beat Dump... and no other potential candidate can.

MARY! Do you actually believe that literally no one else on Planet Earth can beat Orange Mussolini than Beto?

People are hugely overrating the size and significance of Trump's win in 2016. He scraped by on the narrowest of margins in a handful of states in the Midwest, against the most unpopular and demonized Democratic candidate in the history of polling, with major intervention by Russian intelligence and the FBI, at a particular demographic moment that fades with each passing year. Also, it's extremely difficult for a party to hold the White House in three consecutive elections. It has only happened once in the post-WWII era.

Democrats slinking around like whipped dogs because this dumbass pulled off an inside straight in one election is the encapsulation of why Democrats get played for chumps so often by the right in this country.

by Anonymousreply 315August 29, 2018 1:34 AM

R315 who can beat Trump? Cory Booker? Liz Warren? Fucking Bernie? Kamala Harris? Kristen Gillibrand? Nope.

by Anonymousreply 316August 29, 2018 1:46 AM

[quote]MARY! Do you actually believe that literally no one else on Planet Earth can beat Orange Mussolini than Beto?

Why not run the candidate who has the best chance of winning???!!

Who do you think has a better chance... Warren, Harris, Gillibrand, Biden, Ocasio-Cortez, Sanders, Hillary on 3rd attempt...?????

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 317August 29, 2018 2:03 AM

If he wins the Senate seat, Texas and our Union would be better served if he sticks to Texas for his full term and demonstrates to the "reddest state" with some of the lowest voter turnout in the Union (47th) that he can actually represent all of them and their better interests, unlike the narcissist Cruz. Galvanizing TX and converting it blue simply will not occur in two years. But if he acquits himself as a faithful public servant for a good amount of time, the sky is the limit.

Obama's position was unique in that there would be other viable Democrats ready to step up to the plate (despite Blagojevich and Roland Burris) and Dick Durbin is just gold and an unimpeachable elder statesman. Mark Kirk couldn't hold on to his seat and Peter Fitzgerald was just a self-involved asshole. Texas doesn't have this luxury.

I like the idea of Joe Biden being a stopgap candidate in 2020.

by Anonymousreply 318August 29, 2018 2:15 AM

Biden will be 78 in 2020 and Bernie 79. That's just ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 319August 29, 2018 2:18 AM

Forgive me, R319. I honestly thought Joe was four or five years younger. But my point about O'Rourke's potential role in TX stands.

Why did you even have to bring Bernie up to me? I never said a damn thing about him.

by Anonymousreply 320August 29, 2018 2:22 AM

[quote]Texas and our Union would be better served if he sticks to Texas for his full term

Gurl please.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 321August 29, 2018 2:24 AM

Warren will be 72. That's almost as fucking old.

by Anonymousreply 322August 29, 2018 2:24 AM

Nobody over age 50!!!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 323August 29, 2018 2:28 AM

Are you language-challenged, R321? A Doogie Howser gif is supposed to be a stand-in for discourse and debate? We are Democrats are indeed dead, if you are any indication. But do carry on.

by Anonymousreply 324August 29, 2018 2:30 AM

R324 wants Hillary to run a 3rd time... because it’s “Really Her Turn This Time!!”

by Anonymousreply 325August 29, 2018 2:33 AM

The Club for Growth is planning a 7-figure advertising blitz targeting Beto O'Rourke.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 326August 29, 2018 2:37 AM

Anyone who thinks Campari Harris can win is living in delusional land.

by Anonymousreply 327August 29, 2018 2:53 AM

Can't wait to see Beto on TV! :-D

by Anonymousreply 328August 29, 2018 3:08 AM

I hope he doesn't dance on Ellen. But he will.

by Anonymousreply 329August 29, 2018 3:10 AM

Ooh, I'm a Hillary supporter? And, yet, R325, you are still too slow to explain yourself or any position(s) you might have other than trying to be slick and ineffable. Are you capable of constructing sentences that build up to a paragraph that might support your contentions? Or are you, yet, another brain dead Instagram type of a poster who does not know how to explain jack shit beyond self-involved pics? Seriously, fool.

by Anonymousreply 330August 29, 2018 3:11 AM

R330 is triggered.

by Anonymousreply 331August 29, 2018 4:03 AM

Actually Hillary probably would be the best nominee but no way would she do it. She's younger than Biden and Sanders but I think she took all she could take with the election. After 25 years of being attacked 24/7, I think she's fed up. Too much baggage.

by Anonymousreply 332August 29, 2018 5:07 PM

Honestly, you wonder how stupid the GOP are. They tried to trash Beto by posting his super-hot mugshot and a pic of him in a dress on the cover of his band's album. Oops, backfired.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 333August 29, 2018 5:59 PM

Yeah, R333, agreed; I mean we also have video of Cruz talking about how he loves porn -- from his youth.

by Anonymousreply 334August 29, 2018 6:01 PM

This candidate will sweat for you.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 335August 29, 2018 8:49 PM

He's a marathoner so his body goes into overdrive trying to cool itself. The sweat stains probably go over well among blue collar Texans.

by Anonymousreply 336August 29, 2018 9:02 PM

The sweat stains go over well with me, r336!

by Anonymousreply 337August 29, 2018 9:04 PM

It is so fucking hot in Texas now, I don't know how he can keep up the pace. I went into 3 stores today and none of them had air-conditioning that could cool the place down. Fed up with this fucking brutal summer.

by Anonymousreply 338August 29, 2018 10:25 PM

The high in Houston today was a chilly 87F, r338. Brrr!

Per Buzzfeed article, Beto knows he only gets one shirt per day. I know he's a runner, but I wonder if he had some other workout to build his stamina for this campaign. Three stops a day for days on end? Sheesh.

by Anonymousreply 339August 29, 2018 11:09 PM

Days on end? He's kept up this pace for 18 months.

by Anonymousreply 340August 30, 2018 12:22 AM

I love Beto

by Anonymousreply 341August 30, 2018 12:26 AM

He has the GOP running scared

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 342August 30, 2018 2:55 AM

Vanity Fair on Beto as a potential Presidential candidate (even if he loses to Cruz).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 343August 30, 2018 3:42 AM

I wonder if he enjoys soothing sessions of fellatio after a long day on the trail.

by Anonymousreply 344August 30, 2018 3:45 AM

Vanity Fair, of all magazines, doesn’t know what it’s talking about. I’ve never seen Beto campaigning in button-downs. He probably has dozens of that same blue shirt and dozens of the same white one and neither is button-down.

by Anonymousreply 345August 30, 2018 3:54 AM

[quote]O'Rourke/ Kennedy III

Kennedy III will never get that far in politics.

by Anonymousreply 346August 30, 2018 4:07 AM

[quote]I’ve never seen Beto campaigning in button-downs. He probably has dozens of that same blue shirt and dozens of the same white one and neither is button-down.

It has become an "acceptable usage" to call shirts that button in front, i.e., a regular dress shirt, a "button-down."

No, numbskulls. This is a button-down shirt. With a button-down collar. That's the only kind of button-down shirt there is.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 347August 30, 2018 4:13 AM

Maybe Kennedy 3? It worked for the Jackson 5.

by Anonymousreply 348August 30, 2018 4:14 AM

[quote]It has become an "acceptable usage" to call shirts that button in front, i.e., a regular dress shirt, a "button-down."

Who the hell said this? Are you engaging yourself in an argument? You might win, you know, but you're also going to lose.

by Anonymousreply 349August 30, 2018 4:18 AM

I'd like to see him do a subtle brown wash to his hair to take away some of the gray. That would secure him the win.

by Anonymousreply 350August 30, 2018 4:19 AM

I’m buying a T shirt.

Yard signs ARE significant. PA 2016, Trump v Clinton. Nuff said.

I cannot believe that for all this guy’s efforts, intelligence, thoughtfulness, dedication, good looks, stamina, popularity, that he could POSSIBLY lose to fucking Lyin Ted. Who on earth does Cruz appeal to? Why would ANYONE vote for him? I just don’t see how Cruz could ever win any seat, anywhere. Texans who would vote for Cruz in a midterm are fucked in the head, beyond repair.

by Anonymousreply 351August 30, 2018 5:53 AM

r351 If they can rationalize having voted for Trump, they'll be able to rationalize voting for Cruz.

by Anonymousreply 352August 30, 2018 5:56 AM

R351 I think the repugs just wote for the GOP candidates no matter what. It's ingrained in them. Nothing will ever stop them from voting for them. Just look at Trump and everything he's accused of. The right wingers couldn't give two shits about that as long as they get to keep their guns. They will never ever vote for the Democrats, they hate everything even remotely close to socialism. The sooner we accept this the easier it will be to strategize and get Democrat leaning people to the polls and vote. We need people to vote to win against the Republicans.

by Anonymousreply 353August 30, 2018 6:19 AM

Why don’t the Latinos vote in the midterms?

by Anonymousreply 354August 30, 2018 6:26 AM

r354 There was some smart, helpful discussion of this on one of the other Beto threads. Standard precautions apply: ignore the cunts.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 355August 30, 2018 6:30 AM

I never thought his candidacy was going to go anywhere (because Texas) but he's doing astonishingly well in the polls. The political leanings of Texas will probably put Cruz over the top in November though.

I'm hoping he pulls through!

by Anonymousreply 356August 30, 2018 9:18 AM

Yesterday Bill Kristol (Bill Fucking Kristol) said if Beto wins, he's the Dem nominee 2020.

by Anonymousreply 357August 30, 2018 1:44 PM

I hope he's not a philanderer... Please be clean like Obama....

by Anonymousreply 358August 30, 2018 1:51 PM

Hope...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 359August 30, 2018 1:53 PM

R358 The GOP is terrified by Beto. I think if he chased tail, they would have already plastered anything they found everywhere. El Paso is a very gossipy town.

Ted Cruz, however, was documented by NatEnq as a hooker client. His phone number also featured in the Washington DC Madam's client phonebook.

by Anonymousreply 360August 30, 2018 2:07 PM

"The right wingers couldn't give two shits about that as long as they get to keep their guns"

When dis any liberal take away their guns? They said Obama would take away their guns....and they still have their guns

by Anonymousreply 361August 30, 2018 2:31 PM

Not sure if this'll affect the midterm.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 362August 30, 2018 6:19 PM

R362 this is THE most flagrant attempt by Trump and his lackeys in Texas (Abbott and Paxton) to strip voting rights away from US citizens. This is absolutely bonkers and if Texans don't react violently, this will truly have become a Nazi state.

by Anonymousreply 363August 30, 2018 6:23 PM

R363, BBC News (TV) is covering it right now. "US Passport Denials: Govt alleges some birth certificates were fabricated"

by Anonymousreply 364August 30, 2018 6:45 PM

R364 Shit. It just finished.

by Anonymousreply 365August 30, 2018 6:56 PM

This is a troll thread (crossed out). Why are people still responding to it?

by Anonymousreply 366August 30, 2018 8:59 PM

No, dumbass r366. The trolls are who crossed it out.

by Anonymousreply 367August 30, 2018 9:12 PM

Damn, the idea of Beto for President is really gaining traction on social media.

DL: we saw it first. We are clairvoyant.

by Anonymousreply 368August 30, 2018 11:02 PM

I'd like him to win in November and accumulate some experience in the senate to run in 2024, but he has enormous potential and if he is the guy who can beat Trump in 2020, so be it.

I like the Beto - Duckworth combination.

by Anonymousreply 369August 31, 2018 12:19 AM

If Beto runs in 2020, maybe Alex Moffat can play him on SNL.

by Anonymousreply 370August 31, 2018 12:29 AM

R366 Muriel was being liberal with the red tags and probably tagged OP over a tranny comment

by Anonymousreply 371August 31, 2018 12:31 AM

This Wonkette article is actually funny.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 372August 31, 2018 1:43 AM

When is the dirt on Beto going to hit the media? Scandal to knock him out.

by Anonymousreply 373August 31, 2018 2:04 AM

R373, are you looking forward to it?

by Anonymousreply 374August 31, 2018 2:07 AM

Are celebs showing off their awareness and support yet?

by Anonymousreply 375August 31, 2018 2:08 AM

Good sign? He does have something to offer for Republicans.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 376August 31, 2018 9:07 AM

Lots of nice pics. One terrible last one (dead armadillo).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 377August 31, 2018 2:41 PM

From today.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 378August 31, 2018 2:46 PM

I have already seen repugs trying to discredit Beto by bringing up his DUI from 20 years ago and his burglary charge.

by Anonymousreply 379August 31, 2018 2:59 PM

R379, they're throwing everything.

I think the only thing that'll work will be to show how popular he's become among elites on the coasts. Media coverage, gushing by celebrities, etc.

by Anonymousreply 380August 31, 2018 3:04 PM

Be great if the allegedly liberal media would dig into the $6 million Cruz paid Cambridge Analytica to pay for Russians to hack Facebook. Some reporter asked him 'oh, I didn't know'. And they let it go. This asshole is in with the Russians up to his neck.

by Anonymousreply 381August 31, 2018 3:45 PM

I love how he visits all the counties.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 382August 31, 2018 4:58 PM

How about the cussing? Will that help or hurt?

by Anonymousreply 383August 31, 2018 5:35 PM

R380 Yes, they are indeed throwing everything. I searched O'Rourke on Twitter and I saw his mugshot. Beto has been honest about his past since he started in politics. He himself has brought it up multiple times. He never tried to keep it a secret or lie about it, yet these assholes try to use it against him. It happened 20 years ago ffs. People make mistakes, especially young people. Like the Repugs are so perfect, puhlease. Just look at Trump.

by Anonymousreply 384August 31, 2018 5:53 PM

R372 Thanks for the Wonkette! I needed that this morning.

by Anonymousreply 385August 31, 2018 6:05 PM

Beto has visited all 254 counties in Texas. Cruz has visited every county in Iowa.

by Anonymousreply 386August 31, 2018 7:10 PM

Trump is going to Texas to hold a rally for Cruz. Expect angry rhetoric.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 387August 31, 2018 7:11 PM

Can you imagine Cruz campaigning the way Beto does? His social skills deficit and all around awkwardness if he had to truly interact with people would not make him look good at all. He's stiff at trying to relate to others in general, imagine him trying to relate to people he has absolutely nothing in common with? This is the man who called a basketball hoop a "ring" in freaking INDIANA.

by Anonymousreply 388August 31, 2018 7:16 PM

Why so many people are coming to see Beto O’Rourke: A revolt against Trump and a demand for compassion

By Jenna Johnson

August 31 at 6:00 AM

FORT DAVIS, Texas — Dozens of Texans gathered in a grassy courtyard between a historic hotel and a foodie bistro. They brought their kids and their dogs and set up in camping chairs in the patches of shade they could find.

They were waiting for Beto O’Rourke, the Democratic congressman from El Paso who is challenging Republican Sen. Ted Cruz and doing so by campaigning in all of Texas’ 254 counties, hitting many repeatedly. What started as a familiar campaign tactic has turned into something of a phenomenon, with O’Rourke greeted along the way by large crowds yearning for a specific sort of message.

Here in Fort Davis, located in a far-west Texas county where 1,191 people voted for president in 2016, more than 300 showed up on a Sunday evening. In Muleshoe in the deeply conservative Texas Panhandle — home to a statue of a mule named Old Pete that attended George W. Bush’s 2001 inauguration — more than 50 showed up for a meeting during the middle of the work day. In Corpus Christi on the Gulf Coast, more than 1,000 packed into a sweltering bingo hall on a Wednesday night; dozens more listened from outside, and more than 100,000 people watched online.

Although Democratic enthusiasm has exploded across the country, few candidates have found the fervent level of interest O’Rourke has consistently attracted, drawing surprisingly large crowds in unexpected places. At a time when politics has become increasingly nasty and divisive — when President Trump has been blamed for ended friendships and a deterioration of civility — O’Rourke has laid down a potent counterargument: compassion.

O’Rourke, 45, says he’s intent on running a positive campaign, one focused not on Trump or the famously acerbic Cruz but on soothing hot anger with a promise of something different. Even if he doesn’t often say their names, his supporters know his candidacy is a direct critique of those Republicans.

“Everyone seems to be more concerned about how wealthy they are than the well-being of their fellow humans,” said Jim Hines, 70, a self-described “rabid liberal” and retired river guide who saw O’Rourke in Fort Davis. “A lot of it comes back to Trump being such a bully and spreading a message of hatred and trying to divide everybody, and that takes away your compassion for other people when you see them more as an enemy than as a fellow American.”

He added: “We’re supposed to welcome people who are trying to escape danger and welcome them to a country where they have the opportunity to live a free and happy life. Hopefully we can go back to doing that.”

Texans haven’t elected a Democrat to statewide office since 1994, and most Republican leaders don’t consider Cruz’s seat at risk. They are focusing their time and money on seemingly closer races.

But by many measures, this race has become tighter than expected — and one that Democrats are eagerly watching, given the impact an improbable win would have on their party. It also will help answer a crucial question before the 2020 presidential contest: Are the odds of defeating Trump stronger with a pugilistic Democrat bent on outfighting him — Sen. Elizabeth Warren of Massachusetts, among others, has made that argument — or someone who represents the opposite of the confrontational president?

A NBC News/Marist College poll released last week found O’Rourke trailing Cruz by just four percentage points in a state Trump won by nine. Two other polls released this month put the gap at six and two points.

The race has quickly become one of the most expensive in the country. Although Cruz and O’Rourke have both raised about $23 million each, O’Rourke’s fundraising has escalated dramatically: in the most recently reported quarter, he raised $10.4 million to Cruz’s $4.6 million — while not accepting donations from political action committees, as Cruz does.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 389August 31, 2018 7:20 PM

... O’Rourke’s crowds are usually dominated by white Texans, especially those in their 50s and 60s, but the audiences tend to mirror the communities he is visiting. During stops in West Texas and near major cities, many Latinos showed up. At a brewery in Amarillo, the average age skewed lower. And at a school in the Houston suburbs, many parents brought their young children.

Besides the large in-person crowds, O’Rourke has benefited from the viral spread of his events. Millions have seen video footage of him explaining at a Houston town hall this month why he supports football players who kneel during the national anthem, protesting racial inequality and police brutality. In the video, O’Rourke said he believes there is “nothing more American than to peacefully stand up, or take a knee, for your rights, anytime, anywhere or any place.”

“Reasonable people can disagree on this issue,” he said. “And it makes them no less American to come down on a different conclusion.”

Cruz responded in a tweet criticizing O’Rourke for “raising big $$ from Hollywood” off his stance.

“People can protest without disrespecting the flag,” said Cruz, who in another sign of seeming worry has invited Trump to campaign for him in Texas.

Republicans have resurrected criticisms of O’Rourke first raised in earlier races, including his 1998 arrest for impaired driving — dismissed after he completed a diversionary program.

But immigration — particularly the administration’s decision to separate parents and children at the border — has been at the forefront. As Cruz pushes his argument that his opponent is out of touch with Texan desires for stronger enforcement, O’Rourke’s town halls are fueled by objections to the Republican approach.

“There is such a lack of compassion in this political climate. We forget that we’re all one race of people, and that is the human race,” said Mary Howell, 37, an executive assistant who sat in the front row at O’Rourke’s town hall in Odessa — the conservative heart of oil and gas country — with her best friend’s mother. “We are each other’s brothers and sisters in this.”

O’Rourke’s positions are more liberal than statewide candidates in Texas usually dare to espouse. He has called for banning the sale of assault rifles that can blow a hole “the size of an orange” in a victim, legalizing marijuana, confronting climate change, increasing the federal minimum wage and giving everyone access to medical care.

“We’re all Americans. We’re all Texans. We’re all human beings,” O’Rourke says at many campaign stops. Some Texans have shown up wearing T-shirts that say: “Humans against Ted Cruz.”

In interviews with more than 120 Texans who attended 15 of O’Rourke’s town halls over two weeks this summer, it was not unusual for people to grow emotional as they explained why they were drawn to his campaign.

“Beto O’Rourke has a good heart,” said Alton Mueller, 71, a Vietnam War veteran and retired English teacher who attended a town hall in Goliad in rural Southeast Texas, a tear sliding down his cheek. “I’m so cynical now about politicians and what their motives are. At my age it has just been heartbreaking to see all of the cruelty and anger that is feeling free to show itself.”

Mueller votes for Democrats but criticizes many in the party for missing “opportunities to stand up for what’s right.”

Some voters say they value O’Rourke’s promise of compassion more than specific policy stances.

“I’ll be honest: I don’t know his stance on health care. I just hope for more compassionate health care,” said Tonja Hagy-Valdine, 53, who lives with her wife in Lubbock, where 500 people packed into a historic theater to see O’Rourke. “I almost feel like, in politics now, people have gotten used to feeling bad all of the time. He makes me feel good. He makes me feel hopeful.”

by Anonymousreply 390August 31, 2018 7:20 PM

At nearly every town hall, O’Rourke speaks emotionally about the migrant families who venture to the border in hopes of finding safety for their children — something that he says “any human would do.” Although the Trump administration says it has stopped separating such families, hundreds of children still have not been reunited with a parent.

At the clubhouse of an RV resort in Rockport, Patti Bostick stood to tell O’Rourke about raising her two young grandchildren.

“When I lay them down at night in their clean bed with a full tummy, when I think about those babies on the border, it just breaks my heart,” said Bostick, 62, who works in the oil and gas industry. “So, I’m with you, Beto.”

She has been stunned to hear conservatives, including her mother-in-law, defend the practice.

“Her response to that is: ‘It doesn’t affect me; I don’t care.’ I can’t deal with that,” Bostick said afterward. “It’s a wake-up call when you feel like people you’ve known for 12 years all of a sudden don’t share your same basic values . . . It does affect me, and some people think I’m crazy because I almost cry when I think about it.”

Bostick has been donating $200 a month to O’Rourke’s campaign — the first time she has given to a politician.

The border separations were also defining for Scott Dulaney, a 39-year-old firefighter from Houston who recently moved to the Childress area in the Texas Panhandle to work on a family ranch. Dulaney has always voted for Republicans, including Trump, although he supports abortion rights and same-sex marriage and has sometimes wondered if he’s really a Democrat. He said he and his relatives were greatly troubled by the administration’s family separations.

“It’s started to make me think about the way that I was voting a little more,” said Dulaney, who attended one of O’Rourke’s town halls and is unsure who will get his vote. “I’m kind of on the fence, not sure where I am at politically right now.”

O’Rourke stays focused on big-picture ideas, rarely getting into policy details. He speaks in stories of Texans: the high school salutatorian who was deported. The teacher who died of the flu because she couldn’t afford her prescription. The mentally ill man who purposely gets arrested so he can receive medical care. The food-truck owner who fed Texans displaced by the hurricane. The small-town doctor whose medical school bills were paid by his community and the state.

Similar questions arise at many of the town halls, so O’Rourke’s answers have become predictable to regular viewers. But he knows how to read a room and shifts his focus adeptly to the interests of the crowd.

“I trust feel,” O’Rourke said as he sped, at times recklessly, in a rented pickup truck between events. “Rockport, standing room only. Corpus Christi, more than a hundred turned away at the door. Iraan, 12 people took the time to come out and have a conversation.”

His road manager piped up from the back seat: “It was 15 to 20, Beto.”

O’Rourke laughed: “Fifteen people came out. That feels right to me.”

He is running his campaign as simply as possible: His first campaign ad featured snippets of video shot on an iPhone. His campaign staff lacks a pollster or highly paid consultants. He relies on an army of volunteers, many of whom have never been involved with a campaign.

That includes Veronica Pope, a 38-year-old stay-at-home mother of five from the Houston suburbs who was a Republican because she’s opposed to abortion and wants the government to be conservative when it comes to spending. But then Trump became the GOP nominee and, as a Latina, she just couldn’t vote for him, she said. Unless the party dramatically changes, she said, she can’t imagine ever voting for another Republican.

“Republicans have lowered it to the lowest level of rhetoric,” said Pope, who brought her family to see O’Rourke in Katy. “You cannot be ‘pro-life’ when you hate the people who live around you.”

To her, compassion for others should be part of politics.

“It’s a turning point,” she said. “It’s a matter of principle.”

by Anonymousreply 391August 31, 2018 7:21 PM

MTP on MSNBC is talking about Beto as a possible Presidential contender.

by Anonymousreply 392August 31, 2018 10:29 PM

Well, at least this didn't come out in October...

"State and local police reports obtained by the Chronicle and Express-News show that O’Rourke was driving drunk at what a witness called “a high rate of speed” in a 75 mph zone on Interstate 10 about a mile from the New Mexico border. He lost control and hit a truck, sending his car careening across the center median into oncoming lanes. The witness, who stopped at the scene, later told police that O’Rourke had tried to drive away from the scene.

O'Rourke recorded a 0.136 and 0.134 on police breathalyzers, above a blood-alcohol level of 0.10, the state legal limit at the time. He was arrested at the scene and charged with DWI, but completed a court-approved diversion program and had the charges dismissed.

In a statement Thursday, O’Rourke did not address the witness account of his alleged attempt to flee."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 393August 31, 2018 10:38 PM

He’s going to be the nominee in 2020.

Ignore him at your own peril.

by Anonymousreply 394August 31, 2018 10:38 PM

Bullshit the DUI. He has spoken repeatedly (and for years) about it and how he felt so guilty about it, he decided to turn his life around and try to do something for his community.

Dubya had 2 DUIs after 30 and Pickles, as we know, killed her ex in a car crash.

by Anonymousreply 395September 1, 2018 12:10 AM

R392, who's MTP?

by Anonymousreply 396September 1, 2018 12:12 AM

Meet the Press. Chris Hayes is also going to do a segment on Beto tonight. Beto is on fire.

by Anonymousreply 397September 1, 2018 12:20 AM

I got into a disagreement on Facebook tonight with a fellow liberal who pounced on me when I said Beto is the biggest star in the Dem Party. He said there isn’t a single poll that shows he has the same recognition or popularity as Biden or Sanders.

I mean, of COURSE Sanders and Biden are better known and therefore more “popular”— duh. But neither of them have the appeal and the presidentialness of Beto, and they’ll both be almost 80 in 2020.

Beto could easily become the next Obama by 2020. Is there any other candidate on the left right now who is doing more, getting more press, looks better, or has broad enough appeal to win President? NO.

by Anonymousreply 398September 1, 2018 12:34 AM

The Post is covering the DUI now lol. So scared of seeming partisan. They're doing a Times-Hillary number on Beto. CNN is probably next with the DUI. Idiots.

by Anonymousreply 399September 1, 2018 12:59 AM

How long ago was this situation? If it happened a couple of years ago, then it's something serious. However, if it was say over a decade ago, far less so.

by Anonymousreply 400September 1, 2018 1:07 AM

Over 20 years ago, I think.

by Anonymousreply 401September 1, 2018 1:12 AM

"Trump is going to Texas to hold a rally for Cruz."

He supports Lying Ted now?

by Anonymousreply 402September 1, 2018 1:44 AM

Beto has talked about this repeatedly. It's no secret and it happened 20 years ago. No DUIs since. Cruz is desperate.

by Anonymousreply 403September 1, 2018 2:16 AM

This will backfire on Cruz.

Much like the “grab ‘em by the pussy” tape backfired on Hillary.

by Anonymousreply 404September 1, 2018 2:18 AM

[quote]Much like the “grab ‘em by the pussy” tape backfired on Hillary.

huh?

by Anonymousreply 405September 1, 2018 3:22 AM

The DUI charge was 20 YEARS AGO. He was not convicted of anything.

It has been brought up in every one of Beto's four races. He was ready for it.

What's shocking is that the GOP blew their entire oppo wad this week (the DUI, the punk rock picture).

by Anonymousreply 406September 1, 2018 5:12 AM

Cruz has got his trolls overrunning Beto's twitter. Problem is that people on twitter are savvy. They know how to Google.

by Anonymousreply 407September 1, 2018 5:37 AM

Looking it up I see the George Bush dui was twenty-four years before the election with only a .10 BAC, no wreck, and he didn't try to make a break for it. And everybody still went into a tizzzy. Go figure.

by Anonymousreply 408September 1, 2018 5:48 AM

And George W. Bush did nothing to prove he was intellectually or politically qualified to be president, and reinforced that once mistakenly elected, so what's your point, Boris Whatabout @ R408?

by Anonymousreply 409September 1, 2018 5:58 AM

Doesn't Ted like male bum sex? Oh wait...even if Cruz were closeted/Gay NO Gay male would fuck him!

by Anonymousreply 410September 1, 2018 6:49 AM

Beto's 45 now so he was 25 when it happened. Seems reasonable that a young man would make a mistake like that.

It's a non-issue, especially in the state that elected George W.

by Anonymousreply 411September 1, 2018 7:53 AM

Even Trump is on team Beto!

[Quote]Why would the people of Texas support Ted Cruz when he has accomplished absolutely nothing for them. He is another all talk, no action pol!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 412September 1, 2018 1:09 PM

Starting to see Beto yard signs in Plano.

by Anonymousreply 413September 1, 2018 3:04 PM

Do he had a DUI and a burglary charge. Big whoop. Who didn't do those things?

by Anonymousreply 414September 1, 2018 4:10 PM

burglary charge was he and some friends climbed a fence on University of Texas El Paso and got caught trespassing

by Anonymousreply 415September 1, 2018 4:17 PM

I want Beto to

feed me

seed me

and

breed me

by Anonymousreply 416September 1, 2018 4:20 PM

On Instagram this morning he was making breakfast for his kids. A scumptious looking Dutch pancake. Yum.

by Anonymousreply 417September 1, 2018 4:26 PM

Ted Cruz is so weird and creepy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 418September 1, 2018 4:59 PM

Didn't he also do a hit and run?

by Anonymousreply 419September 1, 2018 5:10 PM

It's been interesting watching Beto's transformation from punk rocker to corporate neo-liberal Dem.

by Anonymousreply 420September 1, 2018 5:21 PM

Trump says he’s gonna hold a rally for Ted in the biggest stadium in TX. The biggest TX stadiums hold over 100k people. Which means Trump will hold his rally in the smallest TX Stadium they can find.

by Anonymousreply 421September 1, 2018 5:26 PM

I’d like Beto to do a hit-and-run on my ass.

by Anonymousreply 422September 1, 2018 5:29 PM

Follow Beto on Instagram for daily hotness

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 423September 1, 2018 5:32 PM

Love this.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 424September 1, 2018 6:03 PM

^^^^^^^

I wonder if those are real B tattoos on their wrists

by Anonymousreply 425September 1, 2018 6:46 PM

The conservative Beaumont paper ran an editorial on Beto's mug shot and 20 year old DUI mentioning Cruz got stopped by the police and ticketed for having beer in his car when he was 17 (and he's a Southern Baptist) and pointing out our Attorney General also has a mug shot for indictments and he has managed to postpone going to court for 3 years. Nothing more corrupt than Texas GOP.

by Anonymousreply 426September 1, 2018 8:11 PM

Beto is like JFK, Bill Clinton and Obama rolled into one.

by Anonymousreply 427September 1, 2018 8:23 PM

Beto O’Rourke for Putting His Big Dick in My Mouth 2019!

by Anonymousreply 428September 1, 2018 8:25 PM

Beto's biggest booster is Republican anti-Trump commentator Jennifer Rubin of the WashPost. She's got it bad.

by Anonymousreply 429September 1, 2018 8:26 PM

Honestly, I think people are so starved for anti-establishment politicians, ANY anti-establishment pol, that they just don't care what party they represent. I think this was sadly partly why Trump won. He was anti-establishment compared to Hillary who many saw as corrupt (whether it was true or not). Notice how Beto campaigns on NOT taking any money from PACs. I actually think that's smart, he seems more grassroot and closer to the people, representing them instead of big corporations. I think that will help him get more votes.

by Anonymousreply 430September 1, 2018 8:36 PM

Love the sweatiness

by Anonymousreply 431September 1, 2018 8:38 PM

[quote]Nothing more corrupt than Texas GOP.

Former Texas governor and Presidential candidate Rick Perry has his own mugshot as well.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 432September 1, 2018 8:41 PM

Is Trump coming to Houston for the Cruz rally? I want to go protest that sorry sack of shit.

by Anonymousreply 433September 1, 2018 8:42 PM

Yes he is, R433. Protesting might backfire and rally support.

by Anonymousreply 434September 1, 2018 8:44 PM

He’s going down for *a* rally, not sure where it’ll be held or how many rallies there will be.

But everyone should at every opportunity bring up the endless bad blood between Cruz and Trump. It’s the height of hypocrisy that Trump would go down to stump for Cruz.

by Anonymousreply 435September 1, 2018 8:44 PM

Any idea how big his dick is??

by Anonymousreply 436September 1, 2018 8:44 PM

I donated 50 dollars to his campaign today. Hope this hunk wins.

by Anonymousreply 437September 1, 2018 8:47 PM

R437 I bought a cute Beto shirt.

by Anonymousreply 438September 1, 2018 8:49 PM

[quote]Beto's transformation from punk rocker to corporate neo-liberal Dem

Unless you can point to specific policies or votes that suggest a "corporate neo-liberal Dem," I'm going to call this empty posturing on your part.

by Anonymousreply 439September 1, 2018 8:52 PM

R435 Trump's old tweet is all over Twitter since he announced his Cruz endorsement.

[Quote]Why would the people of Texas support Ted Cruz when he has accomplished absolutely nothing for them. He is another all talk, no action pol!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 440September 1, 2018 8:54 PM

I don't care about establishment or not. Beto eventually has to connect to the people in Washington who accumulated the knowledge and experience in handling complex issues like foreign politics, economy and health care and that just means establishment people. As long as the establishment people have their minds and hearts in the right place I am fine.

I am quite frankly tired of people like AOC and Bernie who just run their campaign about being anti establishment (Sarah Palin and Trump use the same stupid talking points BTW), but then kiss up to people like Putin.

by Anonymousreply 441September 1, 2018 8:54 PM

R435 Trump's endorsement might actually end up hurting Cruz.

by Anonymousreply 442September 1, 2018 8:55 PM

The ONLY thing that matters in this election is latino turnout. If it remains the same as every other TX election, or even improves slightly, then there's no way that Beto wins.

So, I hope that Beto and the DNC have a plan to get latinos to the polls. We'll need record turnout in South Texas to pull if off. I have my doubts, but I'm optimistic.

by Anonymousreply 443September 1, 2018 9:32 PM

r428 has a Beto's cock-sized hole he calls a mouth.

by Anonymousreply 444September 1, 2018 9:35 PM

[quote] Beto eventually has to connect to the people in Washington who accumulated the knowledge and experience in handling complex issues like foreign politics, economy and health care and that just means establishment people.

He's a congressman who serves on committees and handles complex issues. It's his job.

by Anonymousreply 445September 1, 2018 9:37 PM

R443 There is no Latino vote. It's a mixed bag. My former Latino siser-in-law, nieces, and nephews are evangelical Trumpists. First generation immigrants who hate being associated with illegals, even though they all were when my brother married the group of them. That's just one subgroup.

by Anonymousreply 446September 1, 2018 9:47 PM

I'm taking bets that in future rallies, Ted Cruz will get himself sprayed with water to fake that sexxxy Beto sweat.

by Anonymousreply 447September 1, 2018 10:25 PM

The problem with turnout in Texas is with Hispanics but also young people 18/30. If Beto can get them to the polls, he's in.

Hispanics in Texas are odd. A lot of them are one-issue voters - abortion. Historically in Texas (that means my childhood), Mexicans were at the bottom of the social scale, below African-Americans. Unlike most African-Americans, they have a tendency in Texas to identify with the Anglos who hate them - they're dying to be accepted and so they vote the way their masters want them to. A kind of Stockholm Syndrome.

by Anonymousreply 448September 1, 2018 10:33 PM

R448 yes. But the state once voted in Anne Richards. I have hope. As a native Texan, who refuses to live there, I blame the Red-ness on all the out-of-state people like Cruz who came to grift and prey. Even the Bushes were carpetbaggers. ( It's kinda funny that it's a Beto vs a Cruz. Neither latino)

by Anonymousreply 449September 1, 2018 10:55 PM

Chris Matthews compared him to RFK.

And Chris Matthews is so hot and horny for RFK he wrote a book about him.

by Anonymousreply 450September 2, 2018 12:14 AM

R450 Beto was named Robert Francis after RFK. Joe Kennedy III is a close friend of Beto's and came to Texas to campaign with him. He said 'Beto's the best looking Kennedy in Washington'.

R449 there was a massive influx of unemployed auto workers from Michigan - all rightwingers - a couple of decades ago. They didn't help. Lot of Californians moving in, but they seem to be rightwingers mostly.

by Anonymousreply 451September 2, 2018 12:53 AM

I've never looked through his Instagram before. The thing that strikes me is that he really, fundamentally likes people, being around them, and he's energized by the contact. He's social and seems to enjoy what he's doing while most candidates would view campaigning as a chore. His schedule would wear most down.

by Anonymousreply 452September 2, 2018 1:22 AM

I've been pronouncing his name Bay-toe and just realized it's actually Bet-Oh. Damn!

by Anonymousreply 453September 2, 2018 1:24 AM

To piggyback on what R452 said: The thing that primarily impresses me about this guy is, he's not in politics for power or to get rich. He was building websites when he ran for El Paso city council in his 30s. And he found himself - he discovered he has a talent and passion for representing people in public service. And you can tell he loves what he does — he gets energy from speaking to crowds, shaking hands with hundreds of constituents and driving thousands of miles in the Texas heat, which would be torture for most of us.

by Anonymousreply 454September 2, 2018 1:34 AM

First, a campaign spokesperson likens Beto to a "triple Whataburger" and now we find out his campaign manager doesn't like signs, explaining why Texas posters haven't been seeing any. Gad, Cruz's campaign seems to be run by amateurs.

+++++++++++++++++

Supporters of Sen. Ted Cruz (R-TX) have been deluged by signs for challenger Beto O’Rourke and are furious at his campaign for mismanaging the situation, according to the Fort Worth Star-Telegram.

Cruz’s signs are rarely spotted, and his supporters are reportedly “increasingly agitated,” partly because Cruz’s campaign refuses to prove his supporters with signs.

At a recent rally, a member of the State Republican Executive Committee confronted Cruz about the signs.

“The one question I get asked universally, everywhere is, ‘We’re seeing signs that say ‘[Beto]’ in our neighbors’ yards, and we want to claim our territory and have your signs in our yards,’” the man, Mike McCloskey, asked Cruz.. “I think people here are wanting those. What can we do to get those in the hands of the folks that want to have them in their yard?”

[bold]Cruz’s campaign manager, Jeff Roe, reportedly has “an aversion to yard signs” and prefers other means of reaching voters.[/bold]

Beto signs are popping up in traditionally conservative neighborhoods, which has freaked out Cruz supporters enough for the subject to come up at Republican meetings and events across the state.

“Last week, at a GOP gathering in Salado, a small, community halfway between Waco and Austin, attendees distributed a bulletin that highlighted all the O’Rourke signs popping up in conservative neighborhoods,” the Star-tribune wrote. “A speaker urged patience among local Republicans on the lack of Cruz signs, telling the relieved crowd that she was working with a local printer on getting legal clearance to print their own local Cruz campaign signs and that the campaign would purchase more signs in the coming weeks.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 455September 2, 2018 1:56 AM

[quote]Cruz’s campaign manager, Jeff Roe, reportedly has “an aversion to yard signs” and prefers other means of reaching voters.

Is Jeff Roe related to Robby Mook?

by Anonymousreply 456September 2, 2018 2:33 AM

[quote] First, a campaign spokesperson likens Beto to a "triple Whataburger"

What does that even mean?

by Anonymousreply 457September 2, 2018 2:50 AM

R457, see R158.

by Anonymousreply 458September 2, 2018 2:52 AM

Cruz's campaign is run by Roe, Emily Miller (an NRA nutjob and columnist for the Washington Times) and Chris Wilson. All out of state, pro-political hacks. They have no feel for Texas whereas Beto's on a string campaign staff is all local.

by Anonymousreply 459September 2, 2018 3:05 AM

Bet really is stunningly attractive and charismatic. He reminds me of JFK in that regard. But he's also intelligent and compassionate. Exactly what we want in the senate

by Anonymousreply 460September 2, 2018 3:17 AM

Beto reminds me that the US gets deprived of a lot of talent from Dems in the red states like Texas. They can't run for state-wide office, probably would lose. The House is about as high as they can go and usually House members aren't considered to have high enough profiles to run for President.

Julian Castro's been out of a job since Trump got in. He says he's going to run for President in 2020 but didn't bother to challenge Cruz himself or Abbott for governor. He was Mayor of San Antonio, then Obama's Secretary for HUD.

by Anonymousreply 461September 2, 2018 3:59 AM

I will never forgive Julian for not running for Senate. This is the best year dems will have for quite some time.

As well as Beto is doing, Julian has far more name recognition in TX and would probably be tied with Cruz right now. But he chose to be timid while Beto chose to be bold.

by Anonymousreply 462September 2, 2018 4:05 AM

Julian could have run for Governor. Too afraid of losing. Julian also doesn't have anything like Beto's charisma.

by Anonymousreply 463September 2, 2018 4:40 AM

Gold from David Hogg/

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 464September 2, 2018 5:49 PM

Beto posted a pic with his wife, kids and a baby doll floating at the top of the car. Wondering if there's gonna be an announcement a little Beto is on the way.

by Anonymousreply 465September 2, 2018 7:45 PM

How long until Trump shit talks Beto? On Twitter or a rally. Beto is cute with puppy dog eyes and Drumpf will look like an asshole, the Beto will respond and eat his lunch.

by Anonymousreply 466September 2, 2018 8:03 PM

r464 Saint David Hogg

by Anonymousreply 467September 2, 2018 8:05 PM

[quote]As a native Texan, who refuses to live there, I blame the Red-ness on all the out-of-state people like Cruz who came to grift and prey. Even the Bushes were carpetbaggers. ( It's kinda funny that it's a Beto vs a Cruz. Neither latino)

Cruz isn’t Latino?

by Anonymousreply 468September 2, 2018 8:13 PM

R468 They didn't want him and gave him to to the gueros.

by Anonymousreply 469September 2, 2018 9:13 PM

R468. Cruz is about as latino as I am. His father was Cuban but has Canadian citizenship. I don't think Ted can speak Spanish. And he goes by Ted, not Rafael.

by Anonymousreply 470September 2, 2018 9:17 PM

Here you go, Ladies!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 471September 2, 2018 9:22 PM

Very good article in the NY Times this morning about the Texas Senate race. Cruz is such an unbelievable phony. He knows fuck all about Texas.

by Anonymousreply 472September 2, 2018 9:50 PM

Beto’s okay looking. But he’s a bit horsey in the face. And he’s too skinny for his height.

But at least he’s not watery and brown like Turd Cruz.

by Anonymousreply 473September 2, 2018 11:26 PM

He does speak Spanish. There was a big pissing contest with Rubio at one debate where Cruz challenged him to do a Spanish debate.

by Anonymousreply 474September 2, 2018 11:42 PM

Cruz only knows how to say “Soy Turdo”.

by Anonymousreply 475September 2, 2018 11:46 PM

Nope - Cruz speaks schoolboy Spanish. He attacked Rubio, claiming Rubio was saying one thing to Univision about immigration and something else on English-language TV. Rubio attacked him with: how would you know - you don't speak Spanish and Cruz came out with some awkward schoolboy Spanish.

Beto's TexMex bilingual. Beto wanted 2 debates in Spanish and Cruz refused. Cruz had previously refused to debate David Dewhurst in Spanish for the GOP nomination back in 2012. Most Anglos who come from border towns or the Rio Grande Valley are bilingual.

by Anonymousreply 476September 2, 2018 11:47 PM

Cruz isn’t even an American. Disgusting piece of garbage.

by Anonymousreply 477September 2, 2018 11:49 PM

I mean, can you really say that Cruz isn’t Latino? He might be awful, but last I checked, being half-Cuban with the last name counts... I’m not *defending* him by any stretch, so don’t get me wrong.

Beto needs to wear looser running shorts with no compression leggings, and he needs to cut out the netting that I assume is inside. Anyone have his campaign hotline phone # or email?

by Anonymousreply 478September 2, 2018 11:54 PM

We're for him!

by Anonymousreply 479September 3, 2018 12:00 AM

R478 has serious advice for Beto. Before the election we'll need a VPL for sizemeat verificata.

by Anonymousreply 480September 3, 2018 12:05 AM

I’m only supporting him if he’s visibly 8+.

by Anonymousreply 481September 3, 2018 12:16 AM

[quote]He does speak Spanish. There was a big pissing contest with Rubio at one debate where Cruz challenged him to do a Spanish debate.

It was the other way around, R474.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 482September 3, 2018 12:18 AM

Cubans don't like being called Latinos. Many consider themselves white. I don't agree but that's how some of them see it.

by Anonymousreply 483September 3, 2018 12:54 AM

[quote]Cubans don't like being called Latinos. Many consider themselves white.

Well Cruz is a dark shade of shit-stained brown.

by Anonymousreply 484September 3, 2018 12:56 AM

Cruz's Daddy proudly proclaimed he is of strict, recent purely Spanish descent. Interestingly, Rafael Sr left Batista (a US ally)'s Cuba - not Castro's. He was a supporter of Castro's. He also immigrated illegally to the US by bribing an official in Havana to give him a student ID. Now he claims to be a preacher and calls himself 'Pastor Cruz' though he never went to a divinity school. Conmen, father and son.

by Anonymousreply 485September 3, 2018 1:03 AM

Ossof was different. The nation was at a different place and let's not forget that polling machines were being stolen (and replaced with fixed one) in the days leading up to the special election.

Ossof should definitely run again in the future.

by Anonymousreply 486September 3, 2018 1:09 AM

We are all liberals here, and politically informed. But I think it's easy to forget that many voters aren't super read up on the issues when they vote.

I think if I was a low information voter in Georgia who didn't have strong ideological leanings, Handel would seem like the far more credible candidate to me. She's done lots of things as part of her political career already while ossoff was very young (which made him all the more impressive from putting up a strong campaign) and had only been an intern.

I think a Dem candidate more uniformed voters could take seriously would have won GA06. Handel wasn't popular

by Anonymousreply 487September 3, 2018 1:17 AM

Ossoff did not live in the damn district he wanted to represent.

When I heard that, I thought, you moron. No wonder you lost. MOVE!

by Anonymousreply 488September 3, 2018 1:32 AM

R488 that was a non issue with voters. Polls ranked it felt low in importance. And on the merits of the issue, he spent the majority of his life in that district, including his formative years.

by Anonymousreply 489September 3, 2018 2:07 AM

Beto's hit the big time: the Daily Mail is covering him so all their Russian trolls can write nasty posts. LOL!

Deadline WH and Chris Hayes were covering him again.

He's a star.

by Anonymousreply 490September 4, 2018 1:14 AM

A conservative columnist on the Daily Beast is promoting Beto now.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 491September 4, 2018 5:36 PM

I think Matt Lewis is gay. I thought this long before now. And I think he wants some Beto.

It is striking how overnight he became a sensation. And by leaning into the anthem protests, which deplorables say is a winning issue for them

by Anonymousreply 492September 4, 2018 5:42 PM

R492 we've been excited about him in Texas for a year now - guess it took the video for the rest of the nation to catch on.

by Anonymousreply 493September 4, 2018 5:50 PM

Beto's on Ellen tomorrow.

by Anonymousreply 494September 5, 2018 2:04 AM

Beto was great on Ellen. Fleetwood Mac was terrible on Ellen.

by Anonymousreply 495September 5, 2018 11:01 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 496September 6, 2018 12:01 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 497September 6, 2018 12:02 AM

He seemed uncomfortable enough to not look like a Hollywood sellout, so I guess that's good. But he also seemed to be working from a script. Even his response to the DUI question sounded rehearsed. Good exposure, but this wasn't a slam dunk.

by Anonymousreply 498September 6, 2018 12:13 AM

He was a little ill-at-ease and seemed embarrassed. Which is probably good - he doesn't look too smooth. He's very comfortable at his Town Halls. I've heard him speak off-the-cuff, answering audience questions out of left field and he always gives detailed, very articulate answers. He's very smart, very well-informed and talks like the English major he was.

by Anonymousreply 499September 6, 2018 12:26 AM

I hope he didn’t dance.

by Anonymousreply 500September 6, 2018 1:31 AM

He didn't skateboard either.

by Anonymousreply 501September 6, 2018 2:25 AM

In other news, Ellen had a facelift during the show's summer hiatus.

by Anonymousreply 502September 6, 2018 3:28 AM

The repugs are stooping even lower by trying to sabotage the election.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 503September 6, 2018 7:24 AM

Cruz campaign staff are even worse than Lee Atwater. A bunch of total shits.

by Anonymousreply 504September 6, 2018 8:42 AM

Beto was great on Ellen, eloquent, smart and charming, way more personal and 'unrehearsed' than most politicians these days. Lets hope he also knows how to fight and be tough, because they will throw the dirt on him, I am sure.

by Anonymousreply 505September 6, 2018 10:33 AM

Yes, super dirty tricks have begun. Cruz is so desperate.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 506September 6, 2018 6:03 PM

Cruz pulled the same shit during the GOP primary.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 507September 6, 2018 7:47 PM

R507, that guy looks scummy. Would love to know HIS secrets.

by Anonymousreply 508September 6, 2018 7:50 PM

This is disturbing. Someone (republicans?) are trying to sabotage the election with voter fraud.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 509September 7, 2018 5:18 PM

More here.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 510September 7, 2018 5:22 PM

Thanks, R510. I think the story's over, since everyone in Texas understands that Cruz plays dirty and that encouraging illegals to vote is insane and no actual candidate would advocate for that.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 511September 7, 2018 6:58 PM

Beto has my vote.

by Anonymousreply 512September 7, 2018 7:01 PM

There's a rally today at 3:00 at the Houston Stampede Event Center. This should be pretty huge. Its website says in can accommodate 3000 indoors and 15K outdoors.

by Anonymousreply 513September 8, 2018 4:11 PM

Lots of college kids in Texas. Wish we could think of a way to motivate them? Maybe Michelle Obama?

by Anonymousreply 514September 8, 2018 4:26 PM

Voting counts, etc., needs to be watched and scrutinized. And Texas elections people need to hear about it.

by Anonymousreply 515September 8, 2018 4:29 PM

This looks like a full house. Can anyone from the Houston area comment? Did it at least make the local news media? Was there overflow outside?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 516September 9, 2018 6:25 AM

He looks really good here.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 517September 9, 2018 1:14 PM

Beto and Cruz both held Town Halls in Houston at the same time. There were 1,600+ people at Beto's and 200+ at Cruz's.

by Anonymousreply 518September 9, 2018 3:41 PM

I'd marry him.

by Anonymousreply 519September 9, 2018 3:43 PM

Beto always looks good.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 520September 9, 2018 3:43 PM

So sexy!!!

by Anonymousreply 521September 9, 2018 4:57 PM

Here's Part Two

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 522September 9, 2018 5:04 PM

If Beto loses the Sentate race, I want him to run for President.

by Anonymousreply 523September 9, 2018 5:05 PM

[quote]Beto and Cruz both held Town Halls in Houston at the same time. There were 1,600+ people at Beto's and 200+ at Cruz's.

Thank you, R518. I am so hopeful if O'Rourke's team can also spearhead voter registration and cock-blocking Cruz;s attempts to stymie or outright illegally block legitimate voters.

Aren't we still 80 posts from a new thread? Nonetheless, put it in my threadwatcher

by Anonymousreply 524September 9, 2018 5:06 PM

[quote]If Beto loses the Sentate race, I want him to run for President.

It is going to be hard for him to run for President if he loses this Senate race.

Of course if he manages to beat Cruz and win in fuckin TEXAS it would be hard to argue he shouldn't be President.

I still think it is unlikely he can prevail though, as much as I love the guy. It is still Texas.

by Anonymousreply 525September 9, 2018 5:14 PM

I think he's going to win. I truly do. Unless somehow the Repubs hack into the system and start changing totals. Hopefully, the Dems will have election specialists and lawyers looking at everything.

by Anonymousreply 526September 9, 2018 5:35 PM

I mean you are still talking about a state that Trump just won by 9-points r526. And Cruz isn't a child molestor like Roy Moore, the path to victory is a uphill battle for him. But that we are even talking about the possibility of him winning is testament to how impressive is.

by Anonymousreply 527September 9, 2018 5:38 PM

Isn't Ted Cruz kind of disliked, if not hated in TX for his superciliousness and totally un-Texan ways, no matter how hard he tries? He's no Latino; he's the son of a Spanish-born Cuban who thinks himself superior for his white roots from Spain and his cultish Dominionist religion? We never hear about his mother, just his self-aggrandizing father who tried to proclaim his son as God's flesh and blood messenger and savior on earth. It's the super-crazy path borne of a narcissist.

by Anonymousreply 528September 9, 2018 5:49 PM

I would think the Texas cattle and oil people aren't too fond of Trump's trade policy!

by Anonymousreply 529September 9, 2018 5:55 PM

Beto would even look good naked.

by Anonymousreply 530September 9, 2018 5:57 PM

Lyin' Ted kept his jacket buttoned in the sweltering heat thinking it's slimming. LOL!

by Anonymousreply 531September 9, 2018 7:40 PM

Any nude or dick pics of Beto?

by Anonymousreply 532September 9, 2018 7:46 PM

The video of Ted Cruz trying to give his daughter a kiss on the cheek - which grosses her out and she pushes him away - tells everything.

by Anonymousreply 533September 9, 2018 8:03 PM

White House budget director, Mike Mulvaney, said at a private fundraising dinner this weekend that Cruz is in real trouble of losing to Beto because he's so unlikable.

I have a feeling that internal polling done by the Cruz campaign looks terrible for him. His campaign feels like it's in panic mode. They're hoping that Trump's visit will save him.

by Anonymousreply 534September 9, 2018 8:32 PM

Beto should just continuously run that Trump tweet about how awful Cruz is for Texas.

by Anonymousreply 535September 9, 2018 8:40 PM

R534 I'd be surprised if it worked and Mulvaney's saying that probably means Trump afraid to come and have Cruz's failure attach to him.

Beto held an outdoor Town Hall at Texas A&M today - A&M's a rightwing stronghold. He gave the Town Hall in an open-air setting beneath an enormous canopy. Hundreds of people showed up. Hundreds more showed up, couldn't get under cover and stood out in the rain for an hour listening to him. He's a fucking rock star.

by Anonymousreply 536September 9, 2018 8:42 PM

R535, that's a great idea!

by Anonymousreply 537September 9, 2018 8:45 PM

R537 nah, Beto's going 100% positive which may be a mistake but people are so fed up with Cruz's non-stop mudslinging and Trump's psycho behavior. Beto's like the adult in the room.

by Anonymousreply 538September 9, 2018 8:47 PM

Billboard.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 539September 9, 2018 8:52 PM

Was about to post the same, R539. O'Rourke's campaign probably wouldn't go negative in that way, but why can't citizens' groups do it?

by Anonymousreply 540September 9, 2018 11:46 PM

That's an awesome billboard.

How is the cult going to suppress the vote?

by Anonymousreply 541September 9, 2018 11:57 PM

I think that picture of that billboard is photo shopped.

by Anonymousreply 542September 10, 2018 10:25 AM

If that's not an actual billboard, someone should make a similar one!

by Anonymousreply 543September 10, 2018 3:35 PM

That would make an awesome billboard, web advert, and/or television spot, R539! And if Beto's campaign doesn't want to pay for it, there's nothing to stop the DNC, ActBlue, MoveOn, or any other Dem group from running it. Even better if it's seen all over the state when Trump goes to Texas for his big pro-Cruz rally. (Provided he follows through on that promise.)

by Anonymousreply 544September 10, 2018 11:58 PM

It's a mock-up of what the billboard will look like. They raised the funds. Not Beto's campaign.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 545September 11, 2018 12:13 AM

It is real, and funded by that annoying David Hogg who managed to escape yet another High School massacre in Florida. It's already been linked upthread, but here we go for everyone's convenience.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 546September 11, 2018 1:27 AM

And again for the disbelievers.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 547September 11, 2018 1:29 AM

David Hogg will one day be a fine California politician.

by Anonymousreply 548September 11, 2018 1:37 AM

And what will you be, R548? We already suspect, but you can be creative as your keeper's fortunes might not work out so well in your future.

by Anonymousreply 549September 11, 2018 1:46 AM

MSNBC tries to pretend Irish American Beto is Hispanic.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 550September 11, 2018 2:15 AM

R550, they said no such thing.

by Anonymousreply 551September 11, 2018 2:17 AM

[quote]And what will you be, [R548]? We already suspect, but you can be creative as your keeper's fortunes might not work out so well in your future.

Unless Disney and Apple collapse, I'll be fine. Don't worry about California dear R549,we'll be leading the nation in the future.

by Anonymousreply 552September 11, 2018 2:22 AM

He's hispanic the way that Bill Clinton was America's first black president.

by Anonymousreply 553September 11, 2018 2:24 AM

Bill Clinton is America's 'only' Black president.

- Aretha (Fuck U Barry for not even coming to my funeral)

by Anonymousreply 554September 11, 2018 2:29 AM

He's been very impressive on the campaign trail. Really excited but dreading the onslaught of dirty tricks from Cruz et al. They've already started, with the false robocall.

He's taking no corporate money. Unlike Cruz. Cool.

by Anonymousreply 555September 11, 2018 2:30 AM

One Awesome Billboard Outside of College Station, Texas

by Anonymousreply 556September 11, 2018 2:49 AM

How I wish I were still in Washington so I could give Beto a proper DC welcome!

by Anonymousreply 557September 11, 2018 3:09 AM

Cruz has a face that’s just made to be punched.

by Anonymousreply 558September 11, 2018 4:49 AM

R556 is there a billboard on 6?

by Anonymousreply 559September 11, 2018 11:05 AM

Beto is running his campaign ads on HGTV!!

Makes sense, appeal to the at-home moms during regular business hours.

Love it.

I actually wonder if it’s state wide. Could be that I’m in his hometown.

by Anonymousreply 560September 11, 2018 4:43 PM

R560 have only seen them on CNN and MSNBC. I'll record some HGTV to see.

by Anonymousreply 561September 11, 2018 5:34 PM

Love him.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 562September 11, 2018 8:03 PM

No new polls? The last one is from August 27th.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 563September 11, 2018 8:07 PM

a poll today I saw on MSNBC had them at 47% Cruz, 44% Beto. Everybody in Texas knows who Cruz is. If they were going to vote for him, they'd not be undecided now.

I saw an ad of Cruz's today. Super negative, mudslinging. All Cruz's ads have been negative and will play well into the narrative coming out of the GOP that nobody likes him. This could backfire. Cruz has no real accomplishments so he can't run on his record.

I had forgotten that Trump looked good compared to Cruz during the primaries. Cruz is an even bigger piece of shit than Trump.

by Anonymousreply 564September 12, 2018 12:43 AM

Trump was awesome back when he was trashing that piece of shit Cruz right and left back during the primaries.

by Anonymousreply 565September 12, 2018 1:05 AM

I am praying that Beto wins and that the Dems take back Congress.

by Anonymousreply 566September 12, 2018 1:08 AM

Beto’s getting daily attention now on both CNN and MSNBC.

FOX did a very negative piece on Cruz on the “Swamp Watch” segment during Steve Hilton’s show on Sunday.

by Anonymousreply 567September 12, 2018 1:32 AM

R567 they did? Is it on YouTube somewhere? I'd love to see Fox trash Cruz.

by Anonymousreply 568September 12, 2018 1:36 AM

[quote]R567 they did? Is it on YouTube somewhere? I'd love to see Fox trash Cruz.

That show is at the link. Go to 26:05 for the part about Cruz.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 569September 12, 2018 1:59 AM

R569 That is amazing. He totally destroys Cruz for being a hypocrite and a paid corporate whore. Can't believe that was on Fox News.

by Anonymousreply 570September 12, 2018 5:34 AM

So phony, with the fake Spanish sounding name, and the past he tried to hide. Another Obama.

by Anonymousreply 571September 12, 2018 1:10 PM

"So phony, with the fake Spanish sounding name, and the past he tried to hide. Another Obama."

Guess you prefer Trump, who has lied about literally everything (including lying about where Obama was born)

by Anonymousreply 572September 12, 2018 3:12 PM

Sorry R571 I gave you a W&W because I thought you were talking about Ted Cruz.

by Anonymousreply 573September 12, 2018 3:17 PM

Buy a shirt. If any other gay guys are wearing it, fuck him if he wants it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 574September 12, 2018 3:20 PM

Don't be fooled by this guy progressives.

"Don't be tempted by the shiny apple Don't you eat of a bitter fruit " -- Tracy Chapman

by Anonymousreply 575September 12, 2018 3:38 PM

I just fear the straight-ticket GOP voters. After this election, Texas won't allow it. But for this one...

by Anonymousreply 576September 12, 2018 4:50 PM

Beto's on Colbert tonight!

by Anonymousreply 577September 12, 2018 11:51 PM

Thanks, r577!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 578September 12, 2018 11:52 PM

I'll try that again. If it still doesn't work, just go to Beto's IG, @betoorourke.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 579September 12, 2018 11:55 PM

This was a segment on Colbert before he brought Beto out.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 580September 13, 2018 8:04 AM

...and this was the guest segment itself.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 581September 13, 2018 8:05 AM

He was great on Colbert! Nervous, but that was endearing! The segment Stephen ran on him before he came out was great and pissed all over the GOP.

by Anonymousreply 582September 13, 2018 8:14 AM

The way he looked up into the audience and said "Hey Amy" melted this Mary's heart.

by Anonymousreply 583September 13, 2018 8:20 AM

Beto is so handsome and charismatic.

by Anonymousreply 584September 13, 2018 8:40 AM

He's so authentic, so un-politician like.

by Anonymousreply 585September 13, 2018 2:52 PM

He did great on Colbert. But Colbert is not a very good interviewer, is he? He keeps stepping on what his guests are saying.

by Anonymousreply 586September 13, 2018 2:58 PM

Gosh he's cute on the Colbert video.

by Anonymousreply 587September 13, 2018 3:02 PM

So nervous on Colbert. Adorable.

by Anonymousreply 588September 13, 2018 3:04 PM

Did you buy a shirt?

by Anonymousreply 589September 13, 2018 3:22 PM

Ordered one. They have a bit of a wait as there's a surge in orders. Just under $4 shipping.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 590September 13, 2018 3:35 PM

Addresses his DUI

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 591September 13, 2018 3:39 PM

On "Real Time"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 592September 13, 2018 3:47 PM

Surprise surprise. Look what the NY Post is emphasizing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 593September 13, 2018 3:51 PM

I've never seen the video. It's very touching and thoughtful.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 594September 13, 2018 4:09 PM

Why does he go to the tiny towns?

Hot guy at 0:16 LOL

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 595September 13, 2018 4:14 PM

When this thread closes, could we maybe finish up this one first before starting a new one?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 596September 13, 2018 4:27 PM

OMG what must it be like to be hot and grow up in an idyllic Texan town (e.g., R595's guy at 0:16), going to a football game and hooking up with guys or whatever in the hot evening - sweaty and with whatever things like grasshoppers making noise in the fields. So romantic.

Just like ... bareback sex in the guy's truck, both of you 18... FUCK.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 597September 13, 2018 4:27 PM

I just bought my Beto For Texas T shirt and you can too.

by Anonymousreply 598September 13, 2018 4:34 PM

R597 = Sean Cody

by Anonymousreply 599September 13, 2018 4:42 PM

Love love love.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 600September 13, 2018 4:58 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!