Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

“Goddess Diana” rain lamp

I have a lamp like this in my attic that belonged to my late mother. I’m thinking of getting it down and hanging it up, if it still works. I don’t know what kind of oil it uses, though. Can you just put olive oil in it?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16July 18, 2018 3:28 AM

Probably, but you need to cover Diana's boobies before displaying that in your house.

by Anonymousreply 1July 18, 2018 2:01 AM

Why?

by Anonymousreply 2July 18, 2018 2:03 AM

Use mineral oil, dummy, unless you want your place to smell like a dirty Greek diner.

by Anonymousreply 3July 18, 2018 2:04 AM

You need to use mineral oil. Check out how people recondition them online for help.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4July 18, 2018 2:05 AM

I had forgotten those existed. I was really fascinated by them as a kid. My parents were hippies so we didn't have that kind of decor.

by Anonymousreply 5July 18, 2018 2:14 AM

Tarnation, the 70's! I recall one of these do-dads in a small town restaurant my parents frequented when I was a child.

I guess they never made one with a naked man statue.

by Anonymousreply 6July 18, 2018 2:26 AM

Mu aunt had one of those and I was enthralled with it. I found it mesmerizing.

by Anonymousreply 7July 18, 2018 2:29 AM

Castrol GTX 10w-40w.

by Anonymousreply 8July 18, 2018 2:40 AM

We would see that lamp at Kmart but we were so poor we never bought one. I used to touch the display model and get oil all over my hands.

by Anonymousreply 9July 18, 2018 2:42 AM

What's a lamp?

by Anonymousreply 10July 18, 2018 2:47 AM

I'm sure they must have, r6.

by Anonymousreply 11July 18, 2018 2:49 AM

It's the only thing I remember about the movie Petulia.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12July 18, 2018 2:52 AM

Okay, I will admit to being not that smart. I've seen those before (from a distance) but I had no idea that they actually used oil. I'm trying to resist the urge to order one now.

by Anonymousreply 13July 18, 2018 2:55 AM

Make sure the oil you use is trans free.

by Anonymousreply 14July 18, 2018 2:57 AM

Check to be sure it's oil that's needed. Some of them, especially larger ones, ran glycerine instead of oil. No clue as to why.

by Anonymousreply 15July 18, 2018 3:03 AM

I used to visit these lamps whenever we’d go to Service Merchandise. A neighbor kid’s parents had one too, it went with their decor with was “Italianate”. I guess that is what they called it. Deep pile white shag and a smokedy mirrored accent wall in the living room. And lots of overflowing ashtrays.

by Anonymousreply 16July 18, 2018 3:28 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!