Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Carrie Fisher Still Looked Great at this 2000 Awards Show Honoring Harrison Ford

What happened in the years since? It must have been quite a rapid decline.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57November 18, 2018 9:46 AM

How rapid is 16 more years of living with mental illness and drug addiction?

by Anonymousreply 1July 15, 2018 10:57 PM

Aids

by Anonymousreply 2July 16, 2018 1:57 AM

16 years is a long time, OP

by Anonymousreply 3July 16, 2018 1:58 AM

She had a psychotic break some time in the early two thousands and had electro shock and probably went on stronger medication. Plus as her autopsy showed she was still using illegal drugs. Plus menopause.

by Anonymousreply 4July 16, 2018 2:16 AM

I wonder if a sequel to Postcards from the Edge would bring me #4?

by Anonymousreply 5July 16, 2018 2:17 AM

Menopause is a bitch.

by Anonymousreply 6July 16, 2018 2:24 AM

Multiple factors--yo-yo dieting, multiple electro shock treatments, drugs, menopause.

by Anonymousreply 7July 16, 2018 2:28 AM

What's odd about this video is that Harrison Ford looks more or less the same today. That's what makes it so jarring.

by Anonymousreply 8July 16, 2018 2:28 AM

I saw her in concert maybe 10 years ago; she was using a cane and clearly wasn't well physically, but she gave a good show and included a lot of self-deprecating cracks: e.g., "I was hot when I was supposed to be hot: when I was 18."

by Anonymousreply 9July 16, 2018 2:32 AM

Carrie skewering George Lucas

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10July 16, 2018 2:38 AM

Cocaine and alcohol and all that other stuff in her body when she died were always there.

by Anonymousreply 11July 16, 2018 2:41 AM

that was almost 20.years ago. do you have any idea what menopause does to a woman?

by Anonymousreply 12July 16, 2018 4:34 AM

Could someone say "menopause" again? I don't think there has been enough comments about that.

by Anonymousreply 13July 16, 2018 6:11 AM

how about aging nearly two decades.

men have it easier in that department. you have more muscle to begin with, and no one really notices too much if your appendages sag.

grey hair and some wrinkles make men look distinguished, and women look like hags

by Anonymousreply 14July 16, 2018 7:19 AM

There was a particular close-up shot that i was baffled by in one of the new Star Wars movies where Carrie’s nose looked huge and misshapen... I thought, did her nose always look like that? Do noses change that much as we age? Was it the lens they used? It seemed like they should have protected her better.

Her teeth also seemed different... did she get dentures?

by Anonymousreply 15August 2, 2018 3:14 PM

[quote]What's odd about this video is that Harrison Ford looks more or less the same today. That's what makes it so jarring.

No he doesn’t, he looks much older now.

by Anonymousreply 16August 2, 2018 3:17 PM

Actually, can someone explain what menopause does to looks? I never heard of this before.

by Anonymousreply 17August 2, 2018 3:22 PM

Drugs are really aging accelerants. Look at the stars who look at least a decade older than they should be.

by Anonymousreply 18August 2, 2018 3:24 PM

R8 Because Harrison took care of himself

by Anonymousreply 19August 2, 2018 3:27 PM

We actually have a menopause troll who won't shut up about it. When some of us who have also been through it or are going through it got pissed about it we found out it is a woman. She was blaming menopause for Spade's suicide ad nauseum. She kept going on about how horrible it is for her. She sounded straight. Apparently straight women don't deal well with mid life. I actually read a tab in the store that said both Mercury and Bowie had aids and said she got it from one of them and it was a contributing factor in her death. To the person above who said aids, do you have any gossip about that?

by Anonymousreply 20August 2, 2018 3:52 PM

I haven't entered menopause yet but I know women who have. There is a rapid decline I think for all after 50. You can hold things together from 35-49, as you get older with good old exercise and diet, but then bammm. Shit goes downhill fast.

by Anonymousreply 21August 2, 2018 4:10 PM

My ma is 73 and looks great. Subtle facelift years ago, Pilates, always dieting. She was always pretty and still is.

Being a narcissistic rich bitch helps, I’m sure.

by Anonymousreply 22August 2, 2018 6:09 PM

This clip is from 2005, and she's already rapidly aged in only the five years since the clip in the OP.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23August 2, 2018 6:15 PM

This is a compilation of all her films in date order, you can clearly see it's around 2005 that her looks start to collapse.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24August 2, 2018 6:20 PM

She never got over Harrison Ford not loving her

by Anonymousreply 25November 17, 2018 5:58 AM

Drugs, drugs, and more drugs.

by Anonymousreply 26November 17, 2018 6:06 AM

BTW, she was only 44 in that vid.

by Anonymousreply 27November 17, 2018 6:08 AM

Most people just hit the wall at some point. It’s relatively unusual to remain slim and attractive throughout one’s lifetime. The people who do are either very lucky (winners of a genetic lottery) or they work at it like it’s a full time job. When I was 18 years old I was out shopping with my dad and I saw an exceptionally attractive woman who appeared to be in her 50s. I asked Dad what was her secret to looking so great and he said “Maintenance. That’s all she does.”

by Anonymousreply 28November 17, 2018 6:48 AM

Here she is in 2010, circa "Wishful Drinking". By that point she'd been through a major breakdown and electroshock therapy, and was probably on the kind of mood-stabilizing drugs that make everyone who takes them gain weight.

So yeah, she lost her good looks between 2000 and 2010, but she really seemed to go downhill fast between 2010 and 2016. By the shooting of "Bright Lights" in 2016, she looked and moved like a woman over seventy. Something was terribly physically wrong during her last few years, she seemed to age incredibly fast. Maybe it was the drugs, legal or otherwise.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29November 17, 2018 6:56 AM

The main issue I noticed with her face had to do with her nose and lips. At a certain point they changed dramatically and she no longer looked like herself.

Her mouth, in particular, began to appear as though she has suffered a loss of teeth, and/or bone loss where her gumline would be.

In OP's vid she still looked like Carrie Fisher.

by Anonymousreply 30November 17, 2018 7:10 AM

It wasn't just about weight gain, which people seem to be focused on.

by Anonymousreply 31November 17, 2018 7:12 AM

And before the Star Wars movies, R30, she had some bad plastic surgery, which made her look even less like herself.

But yeah, something about her speech changed at the same time as her mouth began to look different. I don't suppose we'll ever know what it was, maybe she lost teeth and was wearing dentures, maybe her dermatologist hit the wrong nerve with botox, maybe she had a health issue that affected her mouth or speech.

by Anonymousreply 32November 17, 2018 7:24 AM

As someone who gets high on weekends, I’ll say drugs, in and of themselves, aren’t much of an issue, IF (a big if!) you’re taking care of yourself otherwise. Mon-sun I don’t drink, smoke or anything else that would shock a Mormon (other than my caffeine intake), plus lots of fruit and vegetables, and daily exercise.

She probably lacked that, on top of mood-stabilizing drugs, plastic surgery, and electoshock!! Holy shit! I feel for her, but it all adds up at some point.

by Anonymousreply 33November 17, 2018 8:03 AM

62 year old woman here, and obviously I've experienced menopause. Yeah, it fucks you up. However. Once I got through it (took about three years), and saw how disgusting I looked, I was ashamed of myself. It wasn't just menopause, though. It was heavy drinking and drug use, which I'd gotten away with my whole life. All of it combined is why so many old(er) people look grotesque.

People who grew up in the 70's and 80's were probably abusing everything and not taking care of themselves, and very few are taking care of themselves now.

So I said fuck it. Stopped drinking (a year and three months now), stopped drugs (even pot), and lost almost 100 pounds. Seriously. All on my own. I'm now in a much better place than I've ever been, but I think the menopause is what really caused me to take that inventory. And not giving in to the temptations is like a full time job, but it keeps me challenged.

by Anonymousreply 34November 17, 2018 8:34 AM

I think what people are saying here though is that her drastic change in nose and teeth are not “normal parts of menopause” so the question is what happened there?

by Anonymousreply 35November 17, 2018 8:56 AM

Nose job and dentures?

by Anonymousreply 36November 17, 2018 9:06 AM

What happened to the menopause troll who turned out to be a straight woman???? Don't tell me DL's legendary menopause troll has disappeared? This is very concerning. I hope she's "okay."

by Anonymousreply 37November 17, 2018 9:48 AM

It seems that when she was out of public view for a bit, then reappeared, there was some press buzz about her looking all but unrecognizable , but she denied any plastic surgery work had been done. Can't imagine why she'd lie about it considering how candid she was about taking shock treatment therapy.

by Anonymousreply 38November 17, 2018 10:15 AM

Plenty of post-menopausal women are attractive and healthy. Yeah, you have to work at it, but it's not rocket science.

Carrie's problems were drinking, smoking, and decades of drug abuse which worsened her always-fragile mental health. That sort of thing ages you rapidly: Look at late-stage Judy Garland for another sterling example. Happily, Carrie never ended up basically homeless like Judy, but the physical deterioration was similar.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39November 17, 2018 1:15 PM

Also, by the time "Bright Lights" was shot around 2016, Carrie seemed to have a bit of a "widow's hump", osteoporosis.

That really makes a person look old, old, old, no matter what they've had done to the face.

by Anonymousreply 40November 17, 2018 7:00 PM

Kudos, r34. That's a real investment in your health.

by Anonymousreply 41November 17, 2018 7:36 PM

I wonder if her septum collapsed from snorting coke etc. Google Daniella Westbrook for an extreme example.

by Anonymousreply 42November 17, 2018 7:38 PM

I am a post-menopausal woman. Menopause by itself does not change your looks. Gravity (aging) does. i.e., you don't go through menopause and suddenly age years and years. It's gradual, as it always was. Also, it's very individual. Some people are just born with better skin and if you keep your weight fairly consistent, that's also good (also wearing a hat for sun protection natch). Carrie did drugs and and gained and lost weight several times , which is probably the reason why she aged faster. Anyway, RIP Carrie.

by Anonymousreply 43November 17, 2018 7:41 PM

I think Carrie should have never got back onstage or on film past a certain point. One would think her success as a writer would have, if not made her immune, at least greatly lessened the usual performer insecurity about looks/age. It was sad to see her pouting all the time in pictures from her last years.

by Anonymousreply 44November 17, 2018 7:42 PM

I just re-watched the great and hilarious Amazon Prime series Catastrophe, which was Carrie's last TV role. She looked pretty good in the last episode of Season 3. (She died in the plane coming back from filming). It looks like she had lip injections, which were unflattering, but she didn't look much older than 60, which was her age. I wouldn't say she looked younger, but ok for 60. She appeared to be having fun acting in the series. (I never watch anything twice--so trust me, this is a very funny series and she is well cast as the male lead's mother).

by Anonymousreply 45November 17, 2018 7:49 PM

Yes, R44, staying behind the scenes would have made it easier for her to be happy and stable.

So I really wonder if the Disney Star Wars films and the pressure to look good for the camera again had any role in her early demise. They wanted her to lose weight fast, and there's no better way to lose weight fast than to stop your antipsychotic meds and get back on drugs.

by Anonymousreply 46November 17, 2018 8:45 PM

I think becoming mega-famous and merchandised like crazy at such a young age helped do Carrie's head in the first time around. Getting back on the Star Wars train, especially having to face all the 'eww she looks so old and fat now' comments, couldn't have been good for her mental health. After that, drug abuse was almost inevitable.

by Anonymousreply 47November 17, 2018 10:02 PM

Stimulants are mega aging..

by Anonymousreply 48November 17, 2018 11:08 PM

She threw her life away.

by Anonymousreply 49November 17, 2018 11:44 PM

No, R49, she threw her old age away.

by Anonymousreply 50November 18, 2018 1:59 AM

Menopause aged Harrison Ford as well.

by Anonymousreply 51November 18, 2018 7:39 AM

My mother is 81 and has the same gorgeous athletic body as she did when she was in college. My sister is 59 years old and is and beautiful and as trim as her college days, as well. Both are post menopausal. Stop with this post menopause obesity nonsense. Some women gain some weight (5-10 lbs) after menopause and tend to store it more in the stomach, but it doesn't make you morbidly obese like Carrie Fisher. She ate too much, drank too much, didn't move her body enough, did drugs which is why she looked absolutely terrible. I hated it when Carrie Fisher would blame her age for looking horrible.

by Anonymousreply 52November 18, 2018 8:18 AM

Does OP know she died?

by Anonymousreply 53November 18, 2018 8:41 AM

R52, if your 80+ mother and sister both have college bodies- I hope they are wealthy beyond their dreams, selling the fountain of youth.

by Anonymousreply 54November 18, 2018 9:05 AM

r54, this is r52 what a stupid thing to say. They happen to be fine with the aging process unlike most on here who think it's a sin to get old. They like looking as best as they can for their age and have good aging genes.

by Anonymousreply 55November 18, 2018 9:19 AM

Carrie aged rapidly from a combination of drugs and the pressure to lose weight and ‘freshen’ up for the SW sequels, the menopause had fuck all to do with it. She would likely have been on HRT to get her through which helps to keep you fairly juicy. Years of drug abuse, bad plastic and dental surgery plus mental illness resulted in the degradation of her looks. It is hard to watch her in her last two films. Very sad indeed.

Madonna is going the same way. She has had a rather sudden decline into decrepitude too. Too much cosmetic surgery and injuries from dancing for so many years are the likely reasons for that.

by Anonymousreply 56November 18, 2018 9:34 AM

[quote]the kind of mood-stabilizing drugs that make everyone who takes them gain weight.

Those anti-psychotics will turn you into Jabba the Hutt pretty fucking quick.

by Anonymousreply 57November 18, 2018 9:46 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!