Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Just Finished Watching "Staying Alive" on Cable. What a Hilarious Shit Show!

This was one BAD movie. Hilariously bad. My observations:

1) John Travolta was at his physical perfection in this one. He had a beautiful body any cruise ship masseuse would have been happy to rub down. Too bad he sucked at playing an older Tony Manero.

2) Who the hell decided to cast Finola Hughes in the lead? She couldn't act and she couldn't dance. I guess she was 1983's Karen Lynn Gorney.

3) Cynthia Rhodes played yet another mousey, non-descript also-ran dancer. No wonder Richard Marx eventually dumped her ass.

4) What the fuck kind of Broadway musical was the cast performing in, anyway? It was more like a tacky Vegas attraction.

5) The ending made me laugh so hard I cried. "Jump!" "I can't!" Holy shit, that was some good stuff!

Anyone else ever see this crap fest? Share your favorite horrible parts!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36July 20, 2018 1:15 AM

I actually love Finola Hughes in it. She is beautiful and I actually think a good dancer. Everyone else is embarrassing.

Frank Stallone “singing” wth Cynthia Rhodes is the low point of a very shitty movie.

The dance show at the end is something I honestly can’t imagine anyone ever paying to see. It’s such camp.

by Anonymousreply 1July 15, 2018 4:28 PM

[Quote] Cynthia Rhodes played yet another mousey, non-descript also-ran dancer.

She didn't seem so mousey in Dirty Dancing.

by Anonymousreply 2July 15, 2018 4:30 PM

R1 If it wasn't for Sylvester directing the movie, the world would never have known Frank Stallone. Thanks a lot, Sly. Not only did you make a shitty movie, but you foisted your deplorable sibling on us.

by Anonymousreply 3July 15, 2018 4:39 PM

Yeah Finola is the best part about it! but that's not saying much.

by Anonymousreply 4July 15, 2018 4:43 PM

As a Travolta loving teen I actually went to see this at the cinema in the UK. It was bloody awful, even to my JT lusting eyes.

by Anonymousreply 5July 15, 2018 4:44 PM

Travolta never looked better in it which was the films one of two good things. There shouldn’t have been a sequel to SNF. The ending of the original was perfect. Finola got better over the years, but you can tell how new to acting she was in this. Gorney and a few of the guys that played Tony’s friends have said they initially had small roles in SA, but Stallone chose to write them out of the film which was a mistake.

The film and the soundtrack did well so it wasn’t a total disaster, The Bee Gees songs were in fact really good in this film so that’s two things that were good. No comment on Frank Stallone. Ugh.

by Anonymousreply 6July 15, 2018 4:57 PM

"This is bullshit"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7July 15, 2018 5:11 PM

R7 The hair! The tights! The drama!

by Anonymousreply 8July 15, 2018 5:14 PM

I loved the exercise clothes dancers wore in the 80s. So tacky! Lavender Lycra.

by Anonymousreply 9July 15, 2018 5:16 PM

Fin Hughes was fresh from the London cast of "Cats" , actually, OP.

by Anonymousreply 10July 15, 2018 5:16 PM

Spandex Ballet!!!

by Anonymousreply 11July 15, 2018 5:16 PM

I thought "Satan's Alley" looked very classy!

by Anonymousreply 12July 15, 2018 5:19 PM

R10 Based on her performance in this movie, I'd say she was fired from "Cats."

by Anonymousreply 13July 15, 2018 5:27 PM

I did extra work on this crummy film. Three nights in CBGB's with Cynthia Rhodes lip syncing. Ugh.

But Travolta was there, too. And he was far more beautiful and charismatic in person than he has ever been on film. Sure, he was pumped up, but he was also fully dressed in that scene. I have no explanation for it, but at that moment in time, he was riveting. All eyes drifted back to him, every time Stallone called 'cut.'

by Anonymousreply 14July 15, 2018 5:28 PM

R14 any more gossip? Was Stallone an asshole like I’ve always suspected?

by Anonymousreply 15July 15, 2018 5:35 PM

No gossip. Sorry. The club was small and packed with people, movie equipment, and a smoke machine. Everyone just did what they had to do to finish and move on to something more pleasant.

by Anonymousreply 16July 15, 2018 5:41 PM

What is it about dance belts that make a guys junk look huge?

by Anonymousreply 17July 15, 2018 5:43 PM

Cantilever uplift I would assume....

by Anonymousreply 18July 15, 2018 5:45 PM

R17 Whatever it is i'm not complaining.

by Anonymousreply 19July 18, 2018 3:15 PM

It was trash-tastic though lacking the self-awareness of Can’t Stop the Music. A reminder of how awful the 80s were compared to the 70s - music, dancing, dialogue, filming were all worse than the original SNF which I loved with every fiber of my 10 year old gayling self. It summarizes my disappointment at finally hitting puberty and being ready to hit the disco floor - but having it replaced with aerobicizing tackiness - and the momentary death of gayness.

by Anonymousreply 20July 18, 2018 3:27 PM

this shit movie begat the rumor that Travolta and Stallone were hooking up during filming. I was in junior high at the time and it's hysterical in retrospect that we were so ON that gossip.

by Anonymousreply 21July 18, 2018 3:33 PM

[Quote] but having it replaced with aerobicizing tackiness

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22July 18, 2018 3:36 PM

I saw this in the movie theatre. Even as a kid, I knew it was shit

by Anonymousreply 23July 18, 2018 4:11 PM

Hysterical mess of a movie, probably the best, or highest-budget, example of unintentional camp from the 1980s! And that finale - it's a laugh a minute!

But the main reason I find this movie weirdly enthralling is the glimpse it gives into the tiny mind of writer-director Sylvester Stallone, NEVER has a director misunderstood his source material so badly!

I mean, just his decision to make Tony Manero a dancer - the whole thing about Manero in "SNF" was that he enjoyed dancing and was better at it than the rest of the clowns in his neighborhood, and if it was a big part of his self-image it was because he had nothing else going for him and never would. So there's no way in hell Tony could do the kind of athletic jazz dance featured in the movie, both because he had no training and wouldn't see any need for training, and because the idiot director had his lead actor bulk up to the point that he had zero flexibility and couldn't do any of a pro dancer's moves! But that doesn't matter to Stallone, because he thinks that "ANGER" is more important than training or physical ability, which also shows that he didn't understand the character of Tony Manero in the movie he was making a sequel to. The original Tony wasn't nearly as angry as the average young urban tough, in fact he was hiding a certain sweetness and thoughtfulness under his bravado.

by Anonymousreply 24July 18, 2018 7:56 PM

John Travolta looks even gayer in this video snippet than in any scene in Saturday Night Fever.

by Anonymousreply 25July 18, 2018 8:44 PM

This much it true, R11.

by Anonymousreply 26July 18, 2018 8:48 PM

Still a jam.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27July 19, 2018 3:36 PM

R17 I know!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28July 19, 2018 5:04 PM

The choreography is so spectacularly bad it's worth a watch just for that. Though I feel really sorry for these trained dancers having to slog that shit day after day.

by Anonymousreply 29July 19, 2018 5:16 PM

I still remember that final impossible leap up to the rising podium. Hilarious.

It was obvious that Bway show they were performing would be an absolute, unmitigated flop.

by Anonymousreply 30July 19, 2018 5:37 PM

And who can forget this moment:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31July 19, 2018 5:38 PM

who the flip needs a fucking ginormus house like this????? seriously....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32July 19, 2018 6:38 PM

Charles Ward, rest in peace.

by Anonymousreply 33July 19, 2018 6:50 PM

I had a blast watching it with my cousin years ago. We commented on it all the way through. Yentl was the other POS that we watched.

by Anonymousreply 34July 19, 2018 9:27 PM

Not knowing Finola Hughes prior to seeing it, friend I remarked that was one of the worst British accents we had heard.

Also seem to remember an hysterical moment, doesn’t Tony at one point have her up off the floor, spinning her in a circle manically while she panicky repeats his name? And then he slings her to the ground?

by Anonymousreply 35July 20, 2018 12:53 AM

[quote] So there's no way in hell Tony could do the kind of athletic jazz dance featured in the movie, both because he had no training and wouldn't see any need for training

Actually I think in the original movie Tony Manero was very into practicing his moves at the dance studio and had a keen appreciation of training. That, of course, doesn't make it logical for him to end up doing the kind of crap the sequel had him doing.

by Anonymousreply 36July 20, 2018 1:15 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!