Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Historical Drama 'The Favourite' (2018)

Starring Olivia Colman, Emma Stone, Rachel Weisz, Nicholas Hoult, Mark Gatiss. Directed by Yorgos Lanthimos, written by Deborah Davis and Tony McNamara.

[quote]In early 18th century England, a frail Queen Anne (Colman) occupies the throne and her close friend Lady Sarah (Weisz) governs the country in her stead. When a new servant Abigail (Stone) arrives, her charm endears her to Sarah.

In theatres November 23.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43November 15, 2019 1:58 AM

This could really be fun. Queen Ane's lesbian relationships with Sarach Churchill, the Duchess of Marlborough, and Anne Masham are very fascinating. And Olivia Colman looks just like Queen Anne (although thinner).

by Anonymousreply 1July 9, 2018 3:31 PM

I like the energy. Olivia Colman looks hilarious and Rachel Weisz more alive than ever. It seems like Emma Stone's character exists to be pestered, screaming in shock throughout.

by Anonymousreply 2July 9, 2018 3:32 PM

BIG overstatement to say even as the Queen's favorite that Sarah ruled.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3July 9, 2018 4:21 PM

I want to see this, very badly! Has Stone been British before? Can't really hear if she has a good accent.

by Anonymousreply 4July 14, 2018 6:05 AM

This looks like another jokey stylised of ice of trash.

by Anonymousreply 5July 14, 2018 7:20 AM

This looks like a lot of fun. I'd much rather watch this than that shitty Mary Queen of Scots thing.

by Anonymousreply 6July 14, 2018 2:15 PM

Queen Anne was the size of a small house and could barely walk - not really surprising after 17 pregnancies. But she was an excellent guitarist (this is absolutely true).

by Anonymousreply 7July 14, 2018 3:31 PM

Good Christ, she was basically pregnant for 13 years!!! Poor woman, I mean sure, she was a queen, but stiil

by Anonymousreply 8July 14, 2018 10:39 PM

Even sadder that all of her children died early I think the oldest one made it to 9 or 10. A lot of the pregnancies were miscarriages and stillbirths.

by Anonymousreply 9July 14, 2018 10:48 PM

I once read a book on the medical history of the Stuarts and it said she probably had a very minor issue that would be sorted out today incredibly easily. And Britain would never have had a king called George.

by Anonymousreply 10July 15, 2018 5:06 PM

There is something in Yorgos Lanthimos' eyes that makes me think that he is a major pig. I don't know it for a fact but I am pretty sure he is tying up his women before whipping them with a cane.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11December 4, 2018 12:47 AM

Margaret Tyzack and Susan Hampshire were the definitive Queen Anne and Sarah Churchill. At best this can be only a very pale copy.

The very first Masterpiece Theater story.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12December 4, 2018 12:53 AM

Emma Stone did a surprisingly good accent as Sally Bowles in Cabaret on Broadway. I'm sure she'll be fine.

by Anonymousreply 13December 4, 2018 1:01 AM

R12, I agree--The First Churchills was excellent.

by Anonymousreply 14December 4, 2018 1:12 AM

Excellent film

by Anonymousreply 15December 4, 2018 4:39 AM

Really funny and like many critics have pointed out, the most accessible Yorgos Lanthimos though I would put THE LOBSTER above THE FAVOURITE.

Rachel Weisz and Nicholas Hoult were the most entertaining.

by Anonymousreply 16December 4, 2018 4:45 AM

[quote] This looks like another jokey stylised of ice of trash.

I find this comment a tad mysterious.

by Anonymousreply 17December 4, 2018 4:51 AM

Hoult is surprisingly good in most things he does. Now that he's out of Singer's clutches, he may go on to have an interesting career.

by Anonymousreply 18December 4, 2018 1:23 PM

Saw it yesterday, wickedly good. All 3 leads deserve an Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 19December 10, 2018 1:37 PM

Does Emma Stone keep up a good Brit accent?

Hardly any young American actors can do that. I find that deeply annoying on many levels, and I'm not even British.

by Anonymousreply 20December 10, 2018 7:23 PM

I loved it. Very entertaining and terrific just to look at. Most of the story (the triangle) is complete fiction- but the broad strokes are accurate. Doesn't matter.

by Anonymousreply 21December 10, 2018 7:44 PM

Are there any lesbian sex scenes?

by Anonymousreply 22December 10, 2018 8:06 PM

Emma Stone’s accent is very good, I was surprised. Even some reviews mentioned how good it is.

by Anonymousreply 23December 11, 2018 2:34 PM

[quote] Are there any lesbian sex scenes?

Yes. Not as risque as the one Weisz has in DISOBEDIENCE, but there is.

[quote] Emma Stone’s accent is very good, I was surprised. Even some reviews mentioned how good it is.

Glad she got something out of all those years being with Andrew Garfield.

by Anonymousreply 24December 11, 2018 3:13 PM

DL’s favorite word “Cunt” is used a a lot in this film.

by Anonymousreply 25December 11, 2018 4:06 PM

I enjoyed this quite a bit. All three leads are excellent and I loved the score. Easily one of my favorite films of the year.

by Anonymousreply 26December 12, 2018 11:43 PM

I loved this. Biting black humour. Sarah’s “dear John” letter to the queen starts “dear cunt”! All 3 leads were fantastic. Weisz looking hot dressed as a man with leather thigh boots.

by Anonymousreply 27December 27, 2018 3:23 PM

R20 no, you're just an Anglophile who think the Brits can do no wrong. But they suck at American accents, too. Americans are just more lenient with them, whereas Brits are always quick to judge when an American makes an attempt.

by Anonymousreply 28December 27, 2018 4:37 PM

Best Picture. Take it to the bank.

by Anonymousreply 29December 27, 2018 4:52 PM

Olivia Colman deserves an Oscar for conveying the full range of human emotion.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30February 1, 2019 8:15 AM

My companion and I arrived a bit late to see this one and that alone served as an excuse to actually see it for the second time in a row. One would think that such a bitchy movie would be right up DL's alley, but then again award season films have become (after years of boring, preachy and unimaginative nominees) absolutely irrelevant...still, this one was more than worthy of my time: an updated "All About Eve." The dialogues are as sharp as a knife and in the hands of such committed performers they make the viewing such a sadistic little treat, they incessantly eviscerate one another while mostly keeping a cold exterior, making the scenes all the more menacing and disturbing.

My appreciation for Lanthimos' work had nosedived since last year, I loved "The Lobster" but "The Killing of a Sacred Deer" was as enjoyable as drinking bleach while downing a jar of nails, and understandably I was more than a bit hesitant to raise my hopes too high, of course now I can safely say that Lanthimos quirkyness adds such freshness to the material and I couldn't imagine it in anyone else's hands. I even liked the controversial final sequence. I recently re-watched "Network" and kept thinking of how much I would enjoy to see his take on that movie.

The makeup and costume designers make a neat argument in favo(u)r of anachronistic costuming and make-up in film. The star moles on Hoult and Stone, the dramatic "badger" eyeshadow and manly looking outfits worn by Weisz are not period-appropiate but such unconventional fare fits perfectly into this unconventional story and they are beautiful in their own right.

-SPOILER- Abigail's final transformation into the over-indulgent rich bitch at the court dinner scene is mesmerizing, that whore-ish makeup and some fine acting on her part, show you how much Abigail has changed from the mousy, two-faced girl who fooled you into empathizing with her struggles to the disgustingly cynical cunt she'd been all along behind the facade of civility; It dawns on you that all those years living at the bottom of the food chain in such an unforgiving society have effectively molded her into the cruelest of persons and it's deeply unsettling. Stone's comedic timing and acting in general was on point throughout, her child-like sobbing to manipulate the Queen actually made me smile and yet her "I'm on my side, always" speech sent chills down my spine. She should have won the Oscar for this one instead of Bland-La-Land. At the very least she convinced me she has more range than hammy, overrated Lawrence.

Olivia Colman and Rachael Weisz, the latter of which I've always adored, are no less amazing but Stone is a formidable protagonist (category fraud aside) and her performance has haunted me the whole week.

by Anonymousreply 31February 16, 2019 8:58 AM

Good comment R31

by Anonymousreply 32February 24, 2019 8:35 AM

Abigail is a less-iconic Scarlett O'Hara (doing whatever it takes to survive) but I'd be very happy to see Stone win today for it. Especially if she had to give back her La La Land statue because lol.

by Anonymousreply 33February 24, 2019 8:38 AM

I am a big Audiophile but found this boring and hammy and wtf with the fish eye lens? Mary Q O S looked great but was so historically inaccurate it was a turn off. Nix to both. And Colman was hammy.

by Anonymousreply 34February 24, 2019 8:57 AM

@R24

[quote] Glad she got something out of all those years being with Andrew Garfield

Allegedly.......

by Anonymousreply 35February 24, 2019 9:10 AM

Just saw this for the first time and had to rewatch. Even though liberties are taken with the period, was a stunning job done by the costume design department especially. The whole film, characters, cinematography (overuse of the fisheye lens aside as it worked sometimes) were all really quite well done considering the fact that they were working with such a tight budget. Fantastic casting aside from Hoult. He wasn't bad, but he shouldn't have been cast in such an older mans role. The pendulum swing in regards to Abigails character was really quite well done. Although I didn't dislike Sarah at all. Also love the pained look Stone had when she realized just exactly what she had 'won' in the end.

by Anonymousreply 36August 9, 2019 9:22 PM

[quote]Also love the pained look Stone had when she realized just exactly what she had 'won' in the end.

Agreed, that was amazing,

by Anonymousreply 37August 9, 2019 9:24 PM

My only complaint was the fact that there were no cavalier King Charles spaniels in sight. Those were the real floppy eared animals roaming around Queen Anne’s bedroom.

by Anonymousreply 38August 9, 2019 9:44 PM

It's like those OTT 1960s films that were popular at the time for being edgy, but no one remembers today.

by Anonymousreply 39August 20, 2019 9:07 PM

I mean, it just aired last year, so we need some time to see whether it's memorable or not.

by Anonymousreply 40August 20, 2019 9:12 PM

I remember when Tom Jones (the movie, not the singer) was a huge movie. Nobody remembers it now.

by Anonymousreply 41November 15, 2019 1:50 AM

I loved it.

by Anonymousreply 42November 15, 2019 1:55 AM

r41 To be fair, that movie was released 56 years ago.

by Anonymousreply 43November 15, 2019 1:58 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!