Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Nancy Reagan Style Icon?

Is this true? I always hear freepers say that about her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76July 16, 2018 5:36 PM

I miss dignity in the White House. I mean they are figureheads to an extent; some of it is pageantry, representing us to the world.

by Anonymousreply 1July 8, 2018 3:50 PM

She was always nicely dressed but no icon except for perhaps stylish old ladies of the era. Plus, she had cankles and a giant head that distracted from her being truly elegant.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2July 8, 2018 3:51 PM

Stand up straight, Nancy, and buy a better bra!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3July 8, 2018 3:52 PM

She looks cute here.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4July 8, 2018 3:55 PM

R4 That necklace looks like a turd.

by Anonymousreply 5July 8, 2018 3:58 PM

Better red than dead.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6July 8, 2018 4:14 PM

She sho wuz ugleeee! Hahahahahahahaha hewwwee!

by Anonymousreply 7July 8, 2018 4:25 PM

That broad sucked a mean dick.

by Anonymousreply 8July 8, 2018 4:28 PM

Very conservative. She was already pregnant at the time she married Ronnie.

by Anonymousreply 9July 8, 2018 4:28 PM

She's a role model for having no gag reflex.

Her hair makes me want to throttle her. What is that hairstyle? I see it on older women all the time and I want to drag them to the nearest hairdresser and say FIX THIS NOW.

God I hate that woman.

by Anonymousreply 10July 8, 2018 4:30 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11July 8, 2018 4:35 PM

No she wasn't what I'd call a style icon. She was a good example of how rich old ladies of her era dressed. A style icon is someone whose style is remembered and emulated across a broad section of the population. Women are still dressing like Jackie Kennedy and Audry Hepburn today. In the early eighties tons of women young and old got the princess Di haircut. If you see prom pictures from that time there are knock offs of Di's wedding dress. Nancy never influenced how women dressed.

by Anonymousreply 12July 8, 2018 4:38 PM

OP , is that a step up from blow job queen Of Hollywood?

by Anonymousreply 13July 8, 2018 4:40 PM

She may be wearing shoulder pads here, not sure.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14July 8, 2018 4:43 PM

[quote]She may be wearing shoulder pads here, not sure.

As opposed to her usual kneepads.

by Anonymousreply 15July 8, 2018 5:11 PM

Yes, it was the best way to distract from the evilness of her husband's administration.

by Anonymousreply 16July 8, 2018 5:41 PM

Ummm...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17July 8, 2018 5:52 PM

Mommy spent her whole reign trying to be Jackie 2.0 Fail.

by Anonymousreply 18July 8, 2018 5:56 PM

R10 That's the old lady hair do. Paris Hilton showed up to the 2007 MTV video music awards with a hair style like that. I remember people saying why is this young twenty something year old woman wearing her hair like that? LOL. It actually looked good on her, but she caught a lot of flack for that hair style. Especially because it was an MTV awards show. And it was right after she was released from jail.

Those we're the good days.

by Anonymousreply 19July 8, 2018 6:14 PM

You can't be too chic when your sole criterion for picking a dress is if it's free.

by Anonymousreply 20July 8, 2018 6:18 PM

I know someone who was a guard during Reagan's time in office. He said Nancy was an ice cold bossy bitch.

by Anonymousreply 21July 8, 2018 6:28 PM

An old lady with money, a visible person that designers wanted to dress. Stylish...not really. No Jackie Kennedy.

by Anonymousreply 22July 8, 2018 6:31 PM

Nancy never had as much money as Jackie.

by Anonymousreply 23July 8, 2018 6:36 PM

She, and he, were puppets of the real money in California - other people financed their lives until the taxpayers took them on in 1980. Performers. The Reagans had a ranch and a Jeep. The Kennedy's had an airplane and yachts and a compound in Hyannis and Rose had more than one black dress. Jackie had a lot more resources, since childhood on her own and then enhanced by Kennedy money, behind her.

by Anonymousreply 24July 8, 2018 6:42 PM

Don't forget about that Onassis money Jackie had access to, too.

by Anonymousreply 25July 8, 2018 6:51 PM

She could be inadvertently stylish.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26July 8, 2018 7:02 PM

She tried, the poor thing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27July 8, 2018 7:08 PM

She invented red clothes.

by Anonymousreply 28July 8, 2018 7:20 PM

She invented red tonsils.

by Anonymousreply 29July 8, 2018 7:57 PM

Her body was built like a Dum Dum lollipop and she draped it in very expensive designer clothing. Style icon? Perhaps, for 70 yr old Republican women, but no one else. Reagan followed the trends. She was by no means a trendsetter. You won’t here anyone today refer to Nancy as their fashion inspiration. Other than wearing expensive clothes she gave us nothing, fashion wise, to which to aspire.

by Anonymousreply 30July 8, 2018 8:10 PM

I don't know if she was a fashion icon, but the conservative Reagan era did influence style in the early mid-80s. You saw a lot of retro 50's look -- the women in long plaid skirts, peter pan collars, pumps, and cut their hair shorter sometimes having the 50's style perm, or if longer would have bows in their hair. Guys cut their hair and the preppy look was big. Eventually it developed its own quirks with some neon colors, the perms got bigger and asymmetrical, you would see some mini-skirts again. Early Madonna had some 50s influence.

by Anonymousreply 31July 8, 2018 8:21 PM

you be the judge

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32July 8, 2018 8:29 PM

I do think she looked quite chic at the first inaugural ball. She really, really should have pulled her hair back more. Like, all the time.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33July 8, 2018 8:50 PM

This was her only iconic moment. Stripes and solids for the win: 80s fashion's A-Team.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34July 8, 2018 9:15 PM

Doesn't anybody else remember the knickers catastrophe? I can't seem to find a photo so she probably had the internet scrubbed before her death. No woman looks good in knickers....

by Anonymousreply 35July 8, 2018 9:25 PM

Wasn't she supposed to be some monumental whore? And wasn't Reagan supposed to be the only man dumb enough to marry her and just all around stupid in general?

by Anonymousreply 36July 8, 2018 9:45 PM

In R17, she was making fun of herself at the 1982 Gridiron Club Dinner. She came in singing "Second Hand Clothes" (a parody of "Second Hand Rose").

by Anonymousreply 37July 8, 2018 10:22 PM

I think Halston was her designer.

by Anonymousreply 38July 8, 2018 10:25 PM

Her favorites were Adolfo for suits and James Galanos for gowns.

by Anonymousreply 39July 8, 2018 10:35 PM

Someone once told me she made Galanos popular at the time. Though she occasionally wore Chanel, most were Chanel-inspired. Though people made a big deal about American designers working for her, Blass, Beene, and De la Renta, She also favoured Saint Laurent, Balenciaga, Adolfo, and Valentino.

by Anonymousreply 40July 8, 2018 10:52 PM

She really needed to do something about those tiny, sagging boobs. A good bra was in order.

by Anonymousreply 41July 9, 2018 1:33 AM

How disturbing is THIS? Such a slutty position for a First Lady.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42July 9, 2018 2:40 AM

r33 Wilma Flintstone wore it better.

by Anonymousreply 43July 9, 2018 4:03 AM

Not easy to pull off such a conservative look while sucking the chrome off a tailpipe.

by Anonymousreply 44July 9, 2018 4:07 AM

I saw a huge collection of President and Mrs. Reagan's personal belongings at Christie's auction house. Ugly beige paintings and monogrammed everything. They even had their bed on sale that looked like something from a cheap 70s motel. The Reagans were pretty tacky.

by Anonymousreply 45July 9, 2018 4:36 AM

That head of hers was fucking huge! And those tiny saggy pathetic little tits! She certainly was a mess.

by Anonymousreply 46July 9, 2018 5:09 AM

Both she and ronnie were disgusting. His time "in office" did more damage to this country from which we still have not recovered, if ever.

by Anonymousreply 47July 9, 2018 5:19 AM

I’d probably say she was “put together” very well vs. a style icon. As any old Republican wife of that era would be.

by Anonymousreply 48July 9, 2018 5:29 AM

She tried and she spent money on herself. Crone didn't have a stylish bone in her body.

by Anonymousreply 49July 9, 2018 5:50 AM

She has the giant, oversized head of anorexia.

by Anonymousreply 50July 9, 2018 5:53 AM

💁 She's the Official Alfred Dunner Spokesmodel.

by Anonymousreply 51July 9, 2018 5:54 AM

Here's old Nance with pals Betsy Bloomingdale and Jerry Zipkin. I can't remember if they're celebrating Vickie Morgan's murder or laughing at Rock Hudson for pleading with Nancy to have Ronnie do something about AIDS.

I know Jerry wound up with all three of these cloaks in his closet. He had each one lined with leftover fabric from the gowns the gals wore to the second inauguration. They were supposed to have been donated to the Smithsonian. Boy were the girls mad when they found out they wouldn't be gettin that tax write off.

Of course, it helped that they could just file fraudulent tax returns. I mean, seriously....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52July 9, 2018 6:16 AM

This fetid, old cunt refused payment to my friend after he made her a gown! He finally let it go.

by Anonymousreply 53July 9, 2018 7:15 AM

Nancy's good friend Betsy Bloomingdale lied about the worth of a designer dress she brought in Europe back in the 70s/80s. And ended up getting in trouble for it. I believe this happened at LAX if I'm not mistaken.

Wealthy republicans and lying about everything. What the fuck. Especially when you have the money to pay.

Aren't the Bloomingdale family billionaires?

by Anonymousreply 54July 9, 2018 7:25 AM

Our mother told us that when she and our father would travel in Europe on business during the mid 1980s many people asked if she was Nancy Reagan. Our mother was not sure whether to take that as a compliment or not.

by Anonymousreply 55July 9, 2018 7:55 AM

R42 a much more dignified First Lady pose

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56July 9, 2018 11:42 PM

Why do people think Melania wears a wig?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57July 11, 2018 10:23 PM

I remember there was a push to make Nancy seem stylish and classy compared to down-to-earth Rosalyn Carter, but it never really took. Lots of Nancy Reagan red and those one-shouldered gowns. Tons of sequins and shiny stuff. But she had an odd body and it never really took, even among the country-club types I knew.

Style icon first ladies are the exception, not the rule--I think they need to be younger than Nancy was. Jackie Kennedy, of course, was a big one. Michelle Obama had a bit of that going for her--people noticed what she wore and how toned her arms were, though I think she felt she had to be careful in a way Jackie did not.

Can't think of other style icon first ladies. Melania's young enough and style conscious, but she's also a slut with naked pictures and a heavy accent. She clearly hates her husband, so no one wants to emulate her.

by Anonymousreply 58July 11, 2018 10:42 PM

[quote]Her hair makes me want to throttle her. What is that hairstyle? I see it on older women all the time and I want to drag them to the nearest hairdresser and say FIX THIS NOW.

R10, it's a bouffante hairdo, darling. Think Liz Taylor. It's held up with tons and tons of hairspray, and feels like a tumbleweed to the touch. No idea what it looks like after a shower. In fact, you cant shower with one—thus the shower cap.

by Anonymousreply 59July 11, 2018 11:00 PM

Some good insights on this thread. My random musings, since you ask me:

R24 is correct: Nancy was surrounded by insanely wealthy people during Ronnie's public reign, but always came across as a wanna-be. Poor, pretty Nan! She craved luxury, beauty, glamour, but refused to pay for anything, as long as someone else was willing to. Adolfo and James Galanos must have written off a lot of dresses out of loyalty to Nancy. (I cannot imagine anyone less suited to wear Halston, BTW. LOL. At least at his height in the 70s.)

Michelle Obama deserves her place alongside Jackie, Princess Di, and Audrey as a style icon. You may not find her a ravishing beauty, but she genuinely enjoyed beautiful clothes, understood what looked good on her, and took fashion risks. I adored seeing what surprising looks she might trot out, and I rarely found her inappropriate. How I miss her.

It's a thankless, shit job largely, the First Lady gig. Any number of them (Roslyn Carter, Laura Bush, poor Pat Nixon) would sooner have done anything than live in the public eye, much less be torn to shreds for preferring a smart pantsuit to a boned-in couture gown. I try and keep that sentiment in mind every time I see tragic, misunderstood Melania trying so hard, time and time again....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60July 11, 2018 11:05 PM

" I try and keep that sentiment in mind every time I see tragic, misunderstood Melania trying so hard, time and time again...."

You think she tries hard.? Everything about her screams minimal effort to me. If she keeps going the way she's going she'll be the illustration under "basic bitch" in the dictionary.

And what's so hard to understand about someone who caught the brass ring at the carousel? It's a brass fucking ring. There's a reason they give those away.

by Anonymousreply 61July 11, 2018 11:39 PM

Sarah Huckabee Sanders

Stool Icon 💩

by Anonymousreply 62July 12, 2018 2:43 AM

Peter Lawford told a story about driving a Buick Roadmaster convertible across the desert from LA to Palm Springs in the early '50's with Errol Flynn in the passenger seat and Nancy (then Davis) kneeling on the floor, as he put it, entertaining them orally. I don't think he meant she was singing, either, although she may have hummed a few bars...

Melania wasn't the first one, although it is interesting to note how the leaders of the "Family Values" party in the States don't seem to practice what they preach.

by Anonymousreply 63July 12, 2018 3:03 AM

Mrs. Reagan, do you swallow?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64July 13, 2018 7:57 PM

Here’s the vintage gossip: “Reagan, Nancy Davis. The eminence grise(ly) in the Reagan White House. Used astrology to determine policy decisions. Slept with Frank Sinatra in the White House itself. Personally pro-choice but kept quiet and supported anti-choice actions for her husband's career. Former "Hostess Girl"/prostitute for the studios when they needed to recruit someone; reported to give the best head in Hollywood, in her day. Was pregnant when she married Ronnie. Used pot at least once. Verbally abused her children. Linked with Milton Berle, Yul Brynner, Clark Gable, Peter Lawford, Frank Sinatra, Spencer Tracy, and Mike Wallace.”

by Anonymousreply 65July 13, 2018 9:14 PM

"it is interesting to note how the leaders of the "Family Values" party in the States don't seem to practice what they preach."

To be fair, at a certain age a man may find himself not strong enough to rape a woman on his own, so money has to change hands.

Luckily for them, they can rape women via Supreme Court nominees and anti-abortion laws.

Isn't it a beautiful world we live in?

by Anonymousreply 66July 14, 2018 12:33 AM

Are the dick sucking stories really true? I keep hearing about them without any real evidence.

So is it?

by Anonymousreply 67July 15, 2018 6:37 AM

Nancy gave the best head in Hollywood.

by Anonymousreply 68July 15, 2018 6:50 AM

R60, Michelle Obama did not know what looked good on her body type. Some of the clothes she picked were beautiful...just not on her. She a big girl with shoulders like a line backer. Strapless is never a good look if you have gigantic shoulders unless of course you have a tiny waist which she does not.

by Anonymousreply 69July 15, 2018 8:12 AM

R67: Your question reminds me of the (no-doubt well-practised and oft-used) response of the tour guide in St. Petersburg when we were in Catherine the Great's bedroom at the Winter Palace.

To the person who asked: "Is it true she died under a horse?" Irina's response was wonderful: "I would not know. I was not there."

What sort of "evidence" are you looking for? Video (and the Kardashians) hadn't been invented. Anyone whose knob Nancita polished in her prime and who talked about it, with the possible exception of Scotty Bowers, is now either dead or doty. And he hasn't said a word about her...

by Anonymousreply 70July 15, 2018 3:17 PM

[quote] Michelle Obama did not know what looked good on her body type

she looked better than melania

by Anonymousreply 71July 15, 2018 3:23 PM

She looks a lot like Julie Andrews in R26.

by Anonymousreply 72July 15, 2018 3:35 PM

r67 Look at Nancy's face, body, and acting ability. Do you really think she could have even gotten her foot in the door of Hollywood without sucking a lot of cocks? She seduced Ronnie by sucking him dry and he was too stupid to understand how many other cocks she sucked before she got to him.

by Anonymousreply 73July 15, 2018 3:50 PM

She seduced Ronnie by getting pregnant. Tale as old as time.

by Anonymousreply 74July 15, 2018 3:52 PM

Whether she seduced him or not, they did seem to really love each other. But I still hated them both.

by Anonymousreply 75July 16, 2018 1:38 PM

Haha r 29

by Anonymousreply 76July 16, 2018 5:36 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!