Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Survey: Only 2/3 of Generation Z identifies as Exclusively Heterosexual

Homosexuality is no longer the taboo it once was. But figures suggest that young people are even more open to experimentation than previously thought. Only two thirds of Generation Z identify as solely heterosexual, in stark contrast to previous generations, a study has found. Research by Ipsos Mori found that 66 per cent of young people, aged between 16 and 22, are "exclusively heterosexual" - the lowest figure of any generation. Among millennials, 71 per cent say they are exclusively heterosexual, as do 85 per cent of those in "Gen X", and 88 per cent of baby boomers. The research group suggested that social media was playing a part, with young people more likely to be aware of different sexualities because of the availability of such information on the internet. Researchers said the statistic showed that the youngest generation were "being affected by more open and fluid attitudes". Hannah Shrimpton, one of the authors of the report, said there was a "hugely greater exposure to communications on the variety of lifestyles available to young people today through social technology. "In particular, this generation of young has grown up at a time when gender as a simple binary and fixed identity has been questioned much more widely – this is new, and will affect wider views of gender, sexuality and much broader aspects of identity," she told the Daily Telegraph. The figures suggest a much higher level of openness to non-heterosexuality than previous polls had suggested, with the most recent ONS figures showing that in 2016 just two per cent of people aged 16 or over identified as lesbian, gay or bisexual, with the number rising to four per cent among 16-24 year-olds. The overall number had risen from 1.7 per cent the year before. The report suggested that an increasingly "liberal context" in which gay relationships are seen as acceptable has led young people to have a "less binary view of sexuality", in which there is no need to identify as exclusively gay or straight. Its research also shows that three in five of British 15 to 16 year olds think sexuality is a scale and that it is possible to be somewhere in the middle. Other figures published by the researchers suggest that more than 70 per cent of those in Gen Z and 69 per cent of millennials had no problem with homosexual relationships, compared to 43 per cent of baby boomers. However, it added that in some ways the lives of the youngest adults in society "hark back to the 1940s". "Many more are staying at home with their parents past the age of 18, and families are closer," it said, pointing to a statistic showing that the proportion of children aged 11-15 who talked to their parents about something that mattered to them each week had increased by 14 percentage points between 2002 and 2015.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31April 15, 2019 10:55 PM

The correct thread

by Anonymousreply 1July 6, 2018 4:06 PM

Want a see gender breakdown

by Anonymousreply 2July 6, 2018 4:24 PM

Want to see

by Anonymousreply 3July 6, 2018 4:24 PM

The vast majority of these young adults identify as bi, fluid, or queer rather than gay/lesbian.

by Anonymousreply 4July 6, 2018 4:30 PM

I'm not surprised.

I remember I got shouted down here some time back when I said 40% of men have or have had sex with other men. I couldn't recall where or how I'd come across that.

40% is still low I suspect, much less 33%. It will increase.

by Anonymousreply 5July 6, 2018 4:33 PM

It’s not nearly That high

by Anonymousreply 6July 6, 2018 4:35 PM

^What's not nearly that high is the level of honesty

by Anonymousreply 7July 6, 2018 4:39 PM

Where are the statistics for their research? How many people they questioned, under what circumstances, total males/females, age ranges, etc.

by Anonymousreply 8July 6, 2018 4:44 PM

Ethnicity

by Anonymousreply 9July 6, 2018 4:44 PM

I don’t see how this is a bad thing. The Evangelicals must be losing their shit based upon these numbers!

by Anonymousreply 10July 6, 2018 5:07 PM

Yeah

by Anonymousreply 11July 6, 2018 6:23 PM

I tend to think of this as peer pressure though. A lot of millennials are afraid of being charged with homophobia, transphobia, etc., especially with the recent insanity in accepting trans people and carefulness in using pronouns.

Not saying the numbers are wrong, only that I think this survey is flawed.

by Anonymousreply 12July 6, 2018 7:30 PM

R12, I think that more and more of them just don't care either way. I see it often. They don't have the hang-up like prior generations.

by Anonymousreply 13July 6, 2018 7:32 PM

A lot of people view their identity as theoretical. They think, if someone of my same sex as hot as the most popular hot star athlete or instagram fitness model wanted to mess around with me, I might do it. But in reality, they never do it w the same sex. It’s Just same-sex potential. Hence, the rise of the” Mostly Straights.”

by Anonymousreply 14July 6, 2018 7:37 PM

It's simply trendy to say you are gender fluid or whatever. They are just straight people trying to sound cool.

by Anonymousreply 15July 6, 2018 7:42 PM

These figures are inflated by the queer, non binary crowd. You can call yourself queer now whilst being in a heterosexual relationship, marrying and having 2.5 kids with an opposite sex partner.

Trying to get accurate statistics is pointless currently because gender has superseded sex and definitions mean a zillion different things depending on who you ask.

by Anonymousreply 16July 6, 2018 7:42 PM

You malign yourselves. The idea of same gender sexual attraction is not so far-fetched. No. They'll never publicly admit to it, but that's no reason for you to drink the cool-aid.

by Anonymousreply 17July 6, 2018 7:46 PM

Funny, in my day, if an interviewer asked if you were queer, he’d get a punch in the schnozzola.

by Anonymousreply 18July 6, 2018 8:07 PM

OMG. Come ON dudes. Have you NEVER bothered to question and reflect on why it's such a big deal? What they say about homophobes is ture.

by Anonymousreply 19July 6, 2018 8:18 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20July 6, 2018 8:28 PM

[quote] I tend to think of this as peer pressure though.

Yes, though peer pressure could also be changes in peer pressure. Meaning, less pressure from their peers to conform to the heteronormative. Younger generations find it easier to come out.

by Anonymousreply 21July 6, 2018 8:29 PM

Maybe

by Anonymousreply 22July 6, 2018 10:23 PM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 23November 20, 2018 6:48 PM

Yep it’s a huge paradigm shift in identity

by Anonymousreply 24November 21, 2018 3:15 PM

Nice

by Anonymousreply 25April 15, 2019 10:35 PM

Only??!

by Anonymousreply 26April 15, 2019 10:37 PM

Duh r26. Most studies in the past show 90 to 95% of adults identify as straight. This is a huge departure from previous studies.

by Anonymousreply 27April 15, 2019 10:42 PM

It's mostly TEENAGE GIRLS identifying as "bisexual"/genderfluid/nonbinary

by Anonymousreply 28April 15, 2019 10:44 PM

Yeah, R28, and 99% are really only interested in boys and end up getting BFs and husbands later on.

by Anonymousreply 29April 15, 2019 10:46 PM

Actually the studies are showing a large increase in bisexual identity among both men and women Millennials

by Anonymousreply 30April 15, 2019 10:48 PM

r28 and r29 are 10000% correct. I do think most guys are bi or full blown gay though. Don't tell them that though!!

by Anonymousreply 31April 15, 2019 10:55 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!