Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

WHET to Edward Norton?

I feel like you rarely hear about him anymore.

He was a big deal for awhile.

Any gossip or rumors?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 122July 17, 2018 1:30 AM

He's in the same drawer of forgettables as Josh Charles. Sad. They could have been gay icons.

by Anonymousreply 1July 5, 2018 1:38 AM

cunty diva to work with, many wont go near him.....

soo fug, how him get be a 'star' ????

by Anonymousreply 2July 5, 2018 1:39 AM

Eddy comes from a very, very rich, very, very well-educated family.

He don't need nothing from Hollywood.

by Anonymousreply 3July 5, 2018 1:40 AM

He directs now I think.

by Anonymousreply 4July 5, 2018 1:41 AM

He just received an Oscar nomination for Birdman like two or three years ago.

by Anonymousreply 5July 5, 2018 1:41 AM

He turned down the Hulk in the original Avenger movie. He was demanding creative control of the character.

Too bad.

by Anonymousreply 6July 5, 2018 1:45 AM

He is a great actor. To bad he's so difficult.

by Anonymousreply 7July 5, 2018 1:45 AM

He had a cute butt in Birdman.

by Anonymousreply 8July 5, 2018 1:47 AM

Shows how much i know. Never even heard of ‘Birdman!’ Will check it out now

by Anonymousreply 9July 5, 2018 1:49 AM

Vintage gossip: “Norton, Ed. "Smarter than you and happy to prove it." Linked with Helena Christensen, Cameron Diaz, Salma Hayek, and Courtney Love.

Novak, Kim. Reportedly...well, this smacks of urban legend, but reportedly Kim Novak had "testicular feminization syndrome" and "was genetically a male." Linked with Sammy Davis, Jr, Cary Grant, RFK, Aly Khan, Peter Lawford, Porfirio Rubirosa, and Frank Sinatra.”

I included the Kim Novak one because it was juicy and he’s boring.

by Anonymousreply 10July 5, 2018 1:50 AM

He'll be back. He is extraordinarily talented.

by Anonymousreply 11July 5, 2018 1:50 AM

Absolutely no gay rumors, eh?

by Anonymousreply 12July 5, 2018 1:51 AM

Loved him in Primal Fear.

by Anonymousreply 13July 5, 2018 1:51 AM

R13, Primal Fear was one of the best debut performances ever.

by Anonymousreply 14July 5, 2018 1:52 AM

He was never as good as he was hyped to be. So many films where he phoned it in. Still, more tolerable than say, Ryan Gosling who we still can't get rid of.

by Anonymousreply 15July 5, 2018 1:54 AM

The cute butt in question, from the film American History X.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16July 5, 2018 1:55 AM

And the cute cock, from the same film:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17July 5, 2018 1:57 AM

He's going to be on the Roast of Bruce Willis later this month, which is his first noteworthy project since the Oscar nom for Birdman.

As people have mentioned above, he's a notorious asshole. He more or less hijacked numerous films he was cast in and stole the reigns from the director. He made a lot of enemies, which is why he doesn't get a lot of work. However, some people in the industry really love the classic "asshole actor". See also Sean Penn, Alec Baldwin, Tom Hardy, etc.

by Anonymousreply 18July 5, 2018 2:00 AM

"American History X" !!

by Anonymousreply 19July 5, 2018 2:01 AM

He did a great job in ‘American History X,’ despite the premise being rather ridiculous. Neo nazis in Venice Beach in the 90s? Really?

by Anonymousreply 20July 5, 2018 2:03 AM

His crying scene in American History X is hilarious and awful. Everything about that film is both hilarious and awful.

by Anonymousreply 21July 5, 2018 2:05 AM

What r18 said. He was a diva asshole who thought he knew more than the director and everybody else. People got tired of his bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 22July 5, 2018 2:06 AM

It doesn’t surprise me at all that there were Neo-Nazis in Venice Beach.

by Anonymousreply 23July 5, 2018 2:07 AM

He' was playing himself in "Birdman." In other words he's a dick. That's why nobody wants to work with him. He's controlling and thinks he's smarter than everybody else. Lately it seems that all he does is have roles in Wes Anderson movies.

He did have an affair with Courtney Love years ago. Her mother said Norton had "made a project" of her. Anyway, she blathered about it for years. She said they were getting married (they didn't). She claimed that he was the love of her life, not Kurt Cobain. and that he was more of a father to Frances Bean than Kurt ever was. She claimed he was the mediator when she and Frances Bean had spats (this was long after the relationship was over). When it was rumored he was engaged (I think she actually started the rumor) she tweeted "I wonder what kind of engagement ring he gave her? He gave me a ruby." She claimed that he gave her a $30, 000 ring "when he had only $40, 000 to his name!" Or something to that effect. She claimed he stole hundreds of thousands of dollars from her in some kind of investment scheme. In other words, Courtney Love is and always was insane. I guess he did think he could make a lady out of her, but you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear, as the saying goes.

For someone so well educated and from a privileged family he seems to like women from the wrong side of the tracks. His wife is Shauna Robertson, a high school drop who achieved some dubious success as a producer of schlock comedies.

by Anonymousreply 24July 5, 2018 2:10 AM

In the late 90s, R23?

by Anonymousreply 25July 5, 2018 2:12 AM

R25, are you saying that’s too late or too early for them? Remember Charlottesville? They came from all over.

by Anonymousreply 26July 5, 2018 2:15 AM

Too late, R26, but I digress .. another discussion for a different thread.

Norton was a revelation in Primal Fear.

by Anonymousreply 27July 5, 2018 2:20 AM

You can be a complete asshole diva in Hollywood and still get work if you put butts in the seats. Unfortunately nobody ever said, I can't wait to see the new Edward Norton movie.

by Anonymousreply 28July 5, 2018 2:20 AM

ryan gosling has his career

by Anonymousreply 29July 5, 2018 2:21 AM

He was the best Bruce Banner

by Anonymousreply 30July 5, 2018 2:23 AM

Yeah, Norton really was sort of a proto-Gosling. Gosling is duller but "nicer" and "easier" to work with. Though apparently he can be an eyeroll as well.

by Anonymousreply 31July 5, 2018 2:25 AM

I can't wait to see the new Edward Norton movie.

by Anonymousreply 32July 5, 2018 2:27 AM

I posted this on another thread, but in Nick Nolte's autobiography he was hired to play Edward's father in Pride And Glory. Edward Norton told everyone how to play their parts at the table read and Nick Nolte told the director he was going to slit his throat if he had to work with him, so Jon Voight got the part.

His cunty diva rep is well justified.

I thought his ass was a little saggy and his stomach looked like it had a hernia in Birdman, but he ass looked scrumptious in American History X and The Painted Veil.

When he was dating Salma Hyek and she was producing and starring in Frida, he took over the script (without being asked) and rewrote it, and was pissed when he didn't get a writing credit because he was trying to get into the screenwriters guild.

And the stories of him being a dick on AHX are legendary. You can Google it. With a bad reputation and not aging well I'm surprised he still gets work.

by Anonymousreply 33July 5, 2018 2:31 AM

He's a nasty, snotty sack who has a bug up his ass because he is so ugly and rat faced.

by Anonymousreply 34July 5, 2018 2:34 AM

I get the Gosling-Norton parallels but Norton had already fallen out of Hollywood's good graces by the time Gosling got going. Gosling benefited more from a combination of Heath Ledger's death and Joaquin Phoenix's I'm Still Here hiatus.

by Anonymousreply 35July 5, 2018 2:35 AM

He's stuck in twee Wes Anderson hell.

by Anonymousreply 36July 5, 2018 2:45 AM

Hung out with him and Courtney Love one night. Guess I’m dating myself. Very strange couple. He was very awkward and unfriendly. I was trying to imagine him fucking her but I could not get a mental image of that occurrence..

by Anonymousreply 37July 5, 2018 2:46 AM

He just killed a stuntman on the recent movie he directed in Manhattan so there’s that.

by Anonymousreply 38July 5, 2018 2:47 AM

@R37 - Not strange at all. Their being together was merely a professional arrangement: he wanted an 'edgier' image, and she wanted a more 'mainstream' image.

When such arrangement (contract) ran its course, he moved on to Salma, and Court moved on to even more plastic surgery (and borrowed gowns from Sharon Stone).

by Anonymousreply 39July 5, 2018 2:58 AM

god dam he is one ugly mo fo

by Anonymousreply 40July 5, 2018 3:04 AM

what an asshole, Norton and company told tenants in the bldg. on fire that all was under control. it wasn't, they lost ev thing and the bldg. burned down , killing a nyc fireman.

nortons prod. co. being sued.

what creepy fuks do this. . hope he is sued to death.

by Anonymousreply 41July 5, 2018 3:07 AM

25th Hour and The Painted Veil were good movies and I thought he was ok in Birdman. Too bad that he is a jerk.

by Anonymousreply 42July 5, 2018 3:12 AM

[quote] Shows how much i know. Never even heard of ‘Birdman!’ Will check it out now

It only won the Academy Award for Best Picture of 2014.

by Anonymousreply 43July 5, 2018 3:47 AM

I laughed when nobody could remember his name in that Game Night movie. He seemed like Gretchen Mol. Someone jammed down your throat as talented but really just lipless and wooden. Ryan Gosling at least exudes warmth and sexiness.

by Anonymousreply 44July 5, 2018 3:50 AM

He’s too difficult to work, that’s why he doesn’t get hired.

by Anonymousreply 45July 5, 2018 3:55 AM

Norton’s best performance was in Fight Club, that’s all!

by Anonymousreply 46July 5, 2018 3:59 AM

His performance in Primal Fear was pretty good, R46

by Anonymousreply 47July 5, 2018 4:31 AM

I liked Painted Veil and I REALLY liked the magician movie that he did right before it which got overshadowed by The Prestige. It had an incredible score.

by Anonymousreply 48July 5, 2018 5:35 AM

I hate actors who overact

by Anonymousreply 49July 5, 2018 5:46 AM

Had many good movies, e.g. Fight Club was very important and fitting for Western society, he combined art with commerce several times; Hulk with him was my favorite live-action superhero movie, I don't like it that much anymore, but I still like it the most from live-action superhero movies, and I like action movies, if one doesn't like action movies this statement doesn't mean much. He also had good chemistry with Liv Tyler; he did play a senior role in the fourth Jason Bourne movie, he could age into such roles, if he accepts being a third-line supporting actor. Not good times for intelligence and intelligent movies and intelligent commercial tv and cin. I guess the movie was Primal Fear (not from an English-speaking coun), with Richard Gere, pretty scary, don't like scary stuff that much.

by Anonymousreply 50July 5, 2018 7:53 AM

Very hammy actor.

Always has a smug expression, because, he is, smug.

by Anonymousreply 51July 5, 2018 8:13 AM

He looks like an accountant at a no name small firm. How could someone who looks like that ever make it as a movie star?

by Anonymousreply 52July 5, 2018 9:07 AM

^exactly.

by Anonymousreply 53July 5, 2018 9:26 AM

His new project is directing Motherless Brooklyn. It was a great novel, hope he does it justice.

by Anonymousreply 54July 5, 2018 9:47 AM

[quote]nobody ever said, I can't wait to see the new Edward Norton movie.

There was a point when I couldn't "wait to see the new Edward Norton movie." It ended sometime between Fight Club and Smoochy, when tales of his assholity began to surface.

by Anonymousreply 55July 5, 2018 9:49 AM

[quote]His new project is directing Motherless Brooklyn. It was a great novel, hope he does it justice.

He's starring in it, too. I loved the book.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56July 5, 2018 9:56 AM

Why does he think he can direct better than any director—and should control every project he’s on? Is he really a good director (himself)?

by Anonymousreply 57July 5, 2018 10:57 AM

Death to Smoochy pretty much killed his career

by Anonymousreply 58July 5, 2018 11:07 AM

Agree with R52. And the lispy high voice doesn't help matters.

by Anonymousreply 59July 5, 2018 11:34 AM

r35, not sure I get the Gosling-Norton parallels, or the Phoenix-Ledger-Gosling argument. Norton, Phoenix and Ledger are all talented character actors, whatever their personality problems.

I haven't heard too much about Gosling being difficult to work with or having major psycho dramas like the others, but the guy can barely emote. I'm not sure who's career he has, but he would never fill Ledger's or Phoenix's shoes, or Norton's for that matter.

by Anonymousreply 60July 5, 2018 11:41 AM

I can’t wait to see the next Ed Norton movie!

by Anonymousreply 61July 5, 2018 11:50 AM

I feel like after hanging out with Courtney Love, bad things happen to you.

by Anonymousreply 62July 5, 2018 11:51 AM

R35 Gosling knows how to present hole to get his roles Norton does not.

by Anonymousreply 63July 5, 2018 11:57 AM

William Peterson played a much hotter Will Graham than Edward Norton.

However, EN looked sexy with a beard in The Italian Job.

by Anonymousreply 64July 5, 2018 12:44 PM

He and Naomi Watts were great in The Painted Veil. Highly recommended if you like sophisticated, old fashioned, period dramas.

by Anonymousreply 65July 5, 2018 12:49 PM

I've never heard him lisp, r59. Present evidence ASAP.

by Anonymousreply 66July 5, 2018 12:51 PM

[quote]He's in the same drawer of forgettables as Josh Charles.

Well at least he gets to costar on Broadway with Armie Hammer in Straight White Men.

Anyway for my money, Norton's best moment in film was in Spike Lee's The 25th Hour.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67July 5, 2018 1:05 PM

[quote]He's in the same drawer of forgettables as Josh Charles.

Josh Charles, "forgettable"? As if.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68July 5, 2018 1:07 PM

r63 feed my fantasy, which roles did Gosling present hole for? Say it wasn't the United States of Leland. Spacey shouldn't have been allowed to taint that taint.

by Anonymousreply 69July 5, 2018 1:08 PM

His nadir was when he did that legendarily bad Will Smith movie where he plays business partners of Will Smith who hire actors to manipulate grieving Smith to sell his share of the company or law firm or whatever it was.

by Anonymousreply 70July 5, 2018 1:09 PM

Life is too short to watch Will Smith movies.

by Anonymousreply 71July 5, 2018 1:11 PM

I can't understand all this negative attitude! Ed Norton is ICONIC! Ask Ralph and Alice!! I think of him every time I pass a sewer!

by Anonymousreply 72July 5, 2018 1:18 PM

He has an unsightly facial mole. Who wants to look at that?

by Anonymousreply 73July 5, 2018 1:28 PM

Mole troll, I like your mutterings as much as you like moles. Please die in a grease cauterization. Do it now.

by Anonymousreply 74July 5, 2018 1:31 PM

I thought he was very good in The Painted Veil, which had a beautiful, haunting score.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75July 5, 2018 4:45 PM

As we say in the sewer, here's mud in your eye!

by Anonymousreply 76July 5, 2018 6:59 PM

I think he looks better with a beard because it hides his jowls, weak chin, and thin lips. He looked his best in The Illusionist because he still had his natural hairline, which was sexy. After his hair transplant he got less attractive.

by Anonymousreply 77July 5, 2018 7:33 PM

R71- That will be my new daily affirmation.

by Anonymousreply 78July 5, 2018 7:38 PM

he was reduced to a guest star role in Modern Family! How low can you go??

by Anonymousreply 79July 5, 2018 7:48 PM

Isn't Ryan Gosling considered a dreamboat, a sexy symbol. Ed Norton was NEVER considered hot so I don't get the comparison.

by Anonymousreply 80July 6, 2018 1:37 AM

Edward, to me, always seemed like the boy next door. It’s a shame about the asshole in real life thing!

by Anonymousreply 81July 6, 2018 2:38 AM

He would have been good as Timothy Mc Veigh

by Anonymousreply 82July 6, 2018 2:40 AM

As long as he is good on screen, do we really care how big a jerk he is behind the scenes? I never understand why the general public cares what any performer is like behind the scenes. I can understand not wanting to work with him but 99.99999% of us will never do that anyway.

by Anonymousreply 83July 6, 2018 2:40 AM

I'm not excusing any serious character flaws, or nasty behaviour, but I have always found him to be very, very sexy. To his detractors here, one doesn't need to be handsome or beautiful to be sexy. I'm ordinarily not keen on blondes, but he does possess some je nai se quoi.

by Anonymousreply 84July 6, 2018 2:53 AM

I also thought he was incredibly hot for 10 years or so after "Primal Fear". Haven't seen him in anything in years.

by Anonymousreply 85July 6, 2018 2:56 AM

Super sexy

by Anonymousreply 86July 6, 2018 2:59 AM

Doughy

by Anonymousreply 87July 6, 2018 3:04 AM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 88July 6, 2018 3:12 AM

Not pictured above is his equally adorbs daughter Gazeteer.

by Anonymousreply 89July 6, 2018 3:16 AM

[quote] Not pictured above is his equally adorbs daughter Gazeteer.

Is that really her name?

by Anonymousreply 90July 6, 2018 3:16 AM

His wife looks kinda meth-y

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 91July 6, 2018 3:17 AM

R91, he can do better than her.

by Anonymousreply 92July 6, 2018 3:18 AM

Edward Norton once saved DiCaprio's life scuba diving

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93July 6, 2018 3:18 AM

Too bad Ed wasn't on the Titanic looking out for Leo.

by Anonymousreply 94July 6, 2018 3:27 AM

R93, well, everybody makes mistakes.

by Anonymousreply 95July 6, 2018 3:31 AM

R95 = Claire Danes!

by Anonymousreply 96July 6, 2018 3:32 AM

Gosling is much better looking, funnier and sexier. Norton's Grandfather was James Rouse who was a major real estate developer. He built some of the largest malls and projects in the US. He doesn't need any money from acting, hence the term "Fuck You Money"

by Anonymousreply 97July 6, 2018 3:34 AM

R98, no one over 12 yrs old says "adorbs" anymore.

You're in your 60s, dear.

by Anonymousreply 98July 6, 2018 3:38 AM

Norton=heavy hung Gosling=sex bomb

by Anonymousreply 99July 6, 2018 3:46 AM

R98 I'm getting there, dear. Shame on me. By the way, you're talking to yourself again: are you in your 90s? Maybe you meant R89?

by Anonymousreply 100July 6, 2018 3:49 AM

R91

The baby looks like Richard Dreyfus.

by Anonymousreply 101July 6, 2018 4:00 AM

Didn’t he date Kim carnes?

by Anonymousreply 102July 6, 2018 4:49 AM

R83 I don't think most of the general public cares or even knows much about his behind the scenes behavior. He was never really a tabloid type personality. The subject is what happened to his career. He was expected to be one of the greats. What happened was that he couldn't get along with his bosses and coworkers and most people in his business decided he wasn't worth the trouble.

by Anonymousreply 103July 6, 2018 5:20 PM

R91 Lmao! He does look like Dreyfus!

by Anonymousreply 104July 7, 2018 2:29 AM

His wife is a hag. But then so was Courtney Love. He obviously has questionable taste in women. Maybe he thinks he can "improve" them.

by Anonymousreply 105July 7, 2018 3:03 AM

Can you imagine Avengers 1,2,3 and Thor: Ragnorok with Edward Norton?

by Anonymousreply 106July 7, 2018 3:07 AM

[quote] His wife is a hag. But then so was Courtney Love. He obviously has questionable taste in women.

Or maybe he's gay? Gay men don't care about the looks of their female beards.

by Anonymousreply 107July 7, 2018 3:10 AM

He's not a great actor. I'm sure the same people who think James Woods is great think Ed is. Both ugly.

by Anonymousreply 108July 8, 2018 4:32 AM

Didn't he just do a voice of one of the dogs in Wes Anderson's latest movie?

Good show that's probably a Trump allegory.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 109July 8, 2018 6:02 AM

i would fuck him hard like a whore he is and then never acknowledge him again

by Anonymousreply 110July 8, 2018 6:19 AM

R101 I agree, looks so much like a little baby Richard Dreyfuss. Wow!

by Anonymousreply 111July 8, 2018 6:31 AM

R109 Isle of Dogs is really great. Totally enjoyed it. And yes there is something there about authority, corruption, but I don't think it's a Trumpian parable, per se. Wes Anderson had probably already been kicking this idea around for years. It takes a lot of time to realize a claymation movie from idea to finished product.

by Anonymousreply 112July 8, 2018 6:33 AM

Erm R50? Fight Club was not a work of art. It was a poseur movie.

by Anonymousreply 113July 8, 2018 7:32 AM

I love Death to Smoochy. I don't even consider it a guilty pleasure.

by Anonymousreply 114July 8, 2018 7:36 AM

Same here, R114

by Anonymousreply 115July 8, 2018 7:41 AM

I can't wait to see the Bruce Willis Roast. When it came time for Willis to roast the panel he hit Norton with "You've rubbed more people the wrong way than Harvey Weinstein."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 116July 15, 2018 3:36 PM

He was never a big deal. B list is stretching it.

by Anonymousreply 117July 15, 2018 3:39 PM

R117 that isn't true. He was a big deal in the 90s. People tolerated him because of his talent. He just annoyed to many people. I wonder if his directorial debut, Leap of Faith, hurt him. It was basically a rom com, nothing special. I expected something more interesting from him. It was no secret that he didn't just act on his earlier films. He argued with the writers and directors. That kind of behavior is okay if you're truly brilliant and have good instincts. That Leap of Faith movie made me doubt his instincts and if he had any talent other than acting. There's nothing wrong with only being a very talented actor, but he fronted as being more than that.

by Anonymousreply 118July 15, 2018 3:54 PM

R6 Norton's Hulk was pretty stellar, though, and this coming from someone who is not a fan of his. It wasn't quite as interesting as Ang Lee's vision for Eric Bana - but then in this genre, what else is?

That '08 adaptation as a whole was superior to the superhero films we're getting now. The casting was superb (Tyler is lovely, Roth is a highlight), the story tight and gritty, the visuals clear and sharp. Even the CGI has dated rather well. It's a film about the horror and aching loneliness of being a mutant (like Singer's X-MEN: UNITED/X2) in a world that has no place for them, as opposed to this barrage of AVENGERS/JUSTICE LEAGUE type films of the Now which turns these characters into mundane cartoon characters.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 119July 15, 2018 4:05 PM

Edward knows how to take a big one

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 120July 15, 2018 4:41 PM

He has a sexy voice still

by Anonymousreply 121July 16, 2018 9:14 PM

I never thought he had a "sexy" voice. In no way is Edward Norton sexy.

by Anonymousreply 122July 17, 2018 1:30 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!