Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Best roast chicken recipes?

I have two whole chickens that I have to cook for tonight and I’m really uninspired. I usually just rub it with herbs and spices or some marinade, but I want to try something new.

What are your favorite recipes? Please share!

by Anonymousreply 23July 4, 2018 5:35 PM

Fill it with lemons, salt, herbs. Mix butter and garlic and stuff under skin. I cook it on high because I want crispy skin. Use any fresh herbs. Crush corn flakes if you want extra crispy skin.

by Anonymousreply 1July 4, 2018 7:08 AM

Go to Costco with $4.99

by Anonymousreply 2July 4, 2018 7:27 AM

I understand recipes for baking, but for savory cooking it seems silly to rely on them. Put together a small selection of ingredients you like and just try it out. Or use recipes as guides to discover a new ingredient or two.

What I don’t get is when someone, for example, might say she tried Ina Garten’s recipe for baked chicken and it was AMAZING, and the only thing different about her recipe is that it inlcudes “the best organic garlic.” (That just means you like garlic.) Or if someone says she tried Ina’s recipe for baked chicken and it was disappointingly bland. Well, moron, when it says to season to taste, use more seasoning to suit your taste.

by Anonymousreply 3July 4, 2018 7:48 AM

Coat it in a curry paste or your choosing blended with a bit of greek yoghurt to loosen it as a marinade paste, put a couple of spoonfuls in the cavity too. Pot Roast, braise or roast that.

Tandoori, green curry or massaman work brilliantly.

by Anonymousreply 4July 4, 2018 8:36 AM

Becoming vegetarian.

by Anonymousreply 5July 4, 2018 9:32 AM

Have you tried glazing the chicken with homemade semen? Like egg whites, it may help to brown the skin and make it extra crispy, with a little je ne sais quoi fragrance. Invite some friends over and let us know how they like your recipe!

by Anonymousreply 6July 4, 2018 9:38 AM

Thanks a lot for the suggestions, R1 and R2 !

by Anonymousreply 7July 4, 2018 9:55 AM

.. meant R1 and R4..

by Anonymousreply 8July 4, 2018 9:56 AM

Don't over think this. It's roast chicken. Focus on your side dishes.

by Anonymousreply 9July 4, 2018 10:15 AM

you can also cut up tomatoes, potatoes, salt and olive oil them and cook them in the same pot as the chicken. Put the chicken on some foil. Voila! Chicken and side dish!!

by Anonymousreply 10July 4, 2018 10:29 AM

To me what really makes a roast chicken, and what you can never get with store-bought rotisserie chickens, is a crispy skin. If you dust the chicken with cornstarch, it’ll crisp up nicely and give whatever seasonings you’ve chosen an extra pop.

by Anonymousreply 11July 4, 2018 10:32 AM

Never heard of that trick before, r11. Nice, I’ll try it!

by Anonymousreply 12July 4, 2018 1:54 PM

Spatchcock it

by Anonymousreply 13July 4, 2018 1:59 PM

Sear the chicken on all sides and then season it with salt while tossing it for a few minutes on low heat; remove to plate.

Deglaze pan with a white wine or something like that if desired.

Take shredded cabbage and sliced onion and saute with olive oil until translucent, add powdered turmeric, around four or so bay leaves per chicken, season with s + p

Toss the chicken in the cabbage mixture and then place in a roasting pan.

Cover the chicken with the cabbage mixture and roast it at 325 or 350 until done. It's best when the cabbage is an reddish/light brown colour. The oil should separate from the mixture.

I would serve it with rice and/or bread along with other some side dishes.

by Anonymousreply 14July 4, 2018 2:06 PM

Another secret to crispy skin is, after putting the garlic butter under the skin, refrigerate it for at least 24 hours uncovered.

This dries out the skin and the subsequent roasting temps crisp it up.

by Anonymousreply 15July 4, 2018 2:47 PM

Raw, uncovered chicken left in a regular household refrigerator for 24+ hours is a breeding ground for salmonella and cross contamination. Don't eat at r15's house.

by Anonymousreply 16July 4, 2018 3:52 PM

You'll need a cast iron pan - heat it in an oven at 500F starting with cold oven and then waiting 30 minutes.

Spatchcock the chicken - this is done by cutting out the backbone of the chicken with a pair of shears of some sort. Season the bird inside and out with salt and pepper to taste.

Drop chicken into pan breast side down. Let it sear and back into the hot oven for 10-20 minutes. Best fucking chicken ever.

by Anonymousreply 17July 4, 2018 4:44 PM

I'm grateful for this thread because I've yet to recreate the fabulousness of an Aunt's roasted chicken with vegetables in the same pan. How does DL achieve such a feat of perfectly roasted vegetables - a bit crispy exterior and soft buttery interior - and a perfectly baked and flavorful chicken?

by Anonymousreply 18July 4, 2018 4:50 PM

I bought the "set it and forget it" Ronco rotisserie. Idiot proof everytime! ( I just stepped in it there , didn't I)

by Anonymousreply 19July 4, 2018 4:55 PM

When I first saw this recipe for roast chicken with dijon mustard, I was like ewww. I decided to try it and it was damn delicious. Mix enough dijon, minced garlic and lemon juice in a bowl to a thick paste consistency - thick enough so it won't just slide off. Salt & pepper your chicken, then rub some butter under the breast skin. Take your mustard paste and slather it all over the outside of your chicken. Stick half a lemon inside the bird, then lay a few slices in a cast iron skillet. Lay the chicken on top of the lemon slices and roast @400 degrees for about 1.5 hour, depending on the size of your bird.

by Anonymousreply 20July 4, 2018 4:57 PM

Ask Tom Keller cuz his roast chicken at Boucher is bomb...crispy skin with no coating...how does he do it?

by Anonymousreply 21July 4, 2018 5:03 PM

Bouchon

by Anonymousreply 22July 4, 2018 5:03 PM

My husbear is Swiss so he slathers everything in mustard before he puts it in the oven. And yes, his roasted chickens are delicious.

by Anonymousreply 23July 4, 2018 5:35 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!