Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

My ex and his new love just spent $100k on a worldwide timeshare

What the hell is that? Is that a worthwhile investment?

by Anonymousreply 35July 4, 2018 2:21 PM

No timeshare is a worthwhile investment

by Anonymousreply 1July 2, 2018 7:00 PM

OP, we need details. What happened?

by Anonymousreply 2July 2, 2018 7:01 PM

If you dislike your X, it’s a win!

R1 is right, timeshares are just bad. Certainly not an “investment “. They're like a train wreck wth a poisonous gas being transported along with natural gas and potassium.

Did he not have anyone to ask about it first?

by Anonymousreply 3July 2, 2018 7:06 PM

It means they will be fucking all over the world while it's just you and your hand tonight.

by Anonymousreply 4July 2, 2018 7:17 PM

[quote] Is that a worthwhile investment?

No idea but apparently you weren't.

by Anonymousreply 5July 2, 2018 7:23 PM

R5, why? why? ...why?

by Anonymousreply 6July 2, 2018 7:30 PM

R6, someone’s going around being cunty in all the threads. Some disgruntled cunt.

OP, indulge in a little schadenfreude. Timeshares are generally a sucker’s game, so they probably got schnookered.

by Anonymousreply 7July 2, 2018 7:48 PM

That’s a lot of money for most people.

by Anonymousreply 8July 2, 2018 7:51 PM

it is as long as it wasn't your money

by Anonymousreply 9July 2, 2018 7:53 PM

I would think that money could have paid for many trips to various destinations. Do that have to go to the same place every year?

by Anonymousreply 10July 2, 2018 7:55 PM

Have a laugh at them OP

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11July 2, 2018 8:04 PM

I hope he doesn't owe you money. Cuz you ain't never gettin' it back now.

by Anonymousreply 12July 2, 2018 8:52 PM

This thread is like a funeral dirge.

by Anonymousreply 13July 2, 2018 10:05 PM

No, it’s not my money but the new guy is looking for a job so the money is mostly from the ex

by Anonymousreply 14July 3, 2018 2:54 AM

This is why you should ask around first.

Has anyone ever had a good experience with timeshares?

by Anonymousreply 15July 3, 2018 2:59 AM

That bitch could have given that money to ME. I NEED IT.

I'm disgusted.

by Anonymousreply 16July 3, 2018 3:00 AM

I know a lot of people who have timeshares.

They ALL hate them

by Anonymousreply 17July 3, 2018 3:53 AM

OP, see the link.

(Thanks, R6, for the inspiration)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18July 3, 2018 10:40 PM

Here’s OP before the big break up...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19July 3, 2018 10:46 PM

Some friends of mine bought a timeshare through a international hotel chain. It was a huge waste of money. The rules for booking etc were so labarynthine they could never manage to get anywhere and despite paying $10k upfront they were constantly being hit by fees and charges. They tried to get me to join but when I read the website it was clear you needed to book every holiday at least a year in advance and be super organised to come out slightly ahead...and if you had the time and energy to do that you could organise a much cheaper holiday independently.

by Anonymousreply 20July 3, 2018 10:56 PM

Like my neighbor said about timeshares, "Who wants to pay to go to the same place every year where 51 other families have sat on that toilet."

by Anonymousreply 21July 3, 2018 10:56 PM

Meh, sounds like your ex and his new man are terrible with money, OP. You're well rid of him.

Move on to better and hotter men who would never waste $ like that!

by Anonymousreply 22July 3, 2018 11:04 PM

What is the appeal of timeshares?

by Anonymousreply 23July 3, 2018 11:09 PM

Tonight we’re making love in Oahu.

by Anonymousreply 24July 3, 2018 11:12 PM

[quote]...someone’s going around being cunty in all the threads. Some disgruntled cunt.

Well, aren't you an exotic hothouse flower and welcome to DL, by the way.

by Anonymousreply 25July 3, 2018 11:30 PM

Nothing an ex does is ever worthwhile.

That's a universally accepted truth.

by Anonymousreply 26July 3, 2018 11:33 PM

Because timeshares have such negatives, I would expect them to sell for a price lower than what one might otherwise expect. So for this thing, the vaca places should be the absolute best available anywhere.

OP, how often can your X use his timeshare? And for how long?

by Anonymousreply 27July 3, 2018 11:48 PM

[quote]Nothing an ex does is ever worthwhile.

Damn right.

by Anonymousreply 28July 3, 2018 11:49 PM

I trust you are getting alimony, OP.....

by Anonymousreply 29July 4, 2018 12:01 AM

If you're truly interested in a timeshare where you can take your points and use them at multiple resorts, rather than a week a year at a specific resort, check the secondary market. Sometimes you can get 30% - 75% off over the price they quote when you go to a promotion and listen to them harangue you for an hour.

Still, one must ask oneself why these secondhand points are available for so little.

by Anonymousreply 30July 4, 2018 12:13 AM

Could this be a sign of dementia in your ex? I don't know anyone under age 75 who would buy a timeshare. They were big in the 70s and 80s among old folks when seniors could buy three month shares in developing areas of Florida and Arizona.

by Anonymousreply 31July 4, 2018 12:50 AM

What’s a “worldwide timeshare”? Don’t make us guess or assume we know, please.

by Anonymousreply 32July 4, 2018 1:00 AM

I hope you at least had a palimony agreement!

by Anonymousreply 33July 4, 2018 12:43 PM

Opie, where are you? What’s this “worldwide” shit?

by Anonymousreply 34July 4, 2018 2:18 PM

Is there any tax advantage to owning a timeshare? I don't know why one wouldn't just go to a nice resort with all the amenities, including room service and daily maid service. It is probably less expensive in the long run.

by Anonymousreply 35July 4, 2018 2:21 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!