Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Chloe Sevigny is doing a movie about Lizzie Borden

In this version, Lizzie will be having an affair with the family maid (played by DL fave Kristen Stewart). What do we think?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 157December 26, 2018 8:26 AM

Does she get to suck Kristen's cock?

by Anonymousreply 1July 2, 2018 3:35 AM

Sounds fab....and actually closer to what's a plausible truth than anything shown in the Borden Murder movies/plays/ballets till now.

(OT: is there a Lizzie Borden [italic]opera?)

by Anonymousreply 2July 2, 2018 3:35 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3July 2, 2018 3:37 AM

It has come to my attention that this will be good.

by Anonymousreply 4July 2, 2018 3:38 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5July 2, 2018 3:38 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6July 2, 2018 3:38 AM

r1 Mais bien sûr.

by Anonymousreply 7July 2, 2018 3:41 AM

I saw this @ the Sundance Film Festival. It's AWESOME!

It's not a horror flick played for thrills like the cheap Lizzie Borden flicks that have come before.

This one is a Shakeseperean tragedy and a must-see for gays and lesbians. She murdered because she was being disinherited for being a lesbian.

by Anonymousreply 8July 2, 2018 4:08 AM

I hope some critic doesn’t do a hatchet job on it.

by Anonymousreply 9July 2, 2018 4:20 AM

Are they gonna finally be truthful and make Liz a lez?

by Anonymousreply 10July 2, 2018 5:31 AM

I love Chloe. Toast.

by Anonymousreply 11July 2, 2018 5:38 AM

Elizabeth Montgomery it best.

by Anonymousreply 12July 2, 2018 5:42 AM

The Christina Ricci movie about Lizzie was awful

by Anonymousreply 13July 2, 2018 3:21 PM

she did seem dykey

by Anonymousreply 14July 2, 2018 3:28 PM

r12

Have you ever seen a photo of Lizzie Borden? If you dug up Elizabeth Montgomery's corpse today, she'd look better than Miss Borden ever did. She was one mess heap o' ugly

by Anonymousreply 15July 2, 2018 3:33 PM

I don't think Lizzie was that bad looking by the standards of the time, but she definitely didn't look like Elizabeth Montgomery

by Anonymousreply 16July 2, 2018 3:41 PM

If I had to wear that concoction I would take an axe to a few myself.

by Anonymousreply 17July 2, 2018 3:51 PM

Hasn’t this been in the works for YEARS? It sounds like they finally got it off the ground?

by Anonymousreply 18July 2, 2018 4:29 PM

One of the worst movies at Sundance. Really boring and latent with inappropriately modern sensibilities. It does pick up during the actual murder scene as it has Chloe stark naked carrying her ax around and murdering, becoming blood covered as she does. I imagine a lot of pervs will get an enormous thrill out of it.

by Anonymousreply 19July 2, 2018 4:42 PM

Good evening, America. It's recently come to my attention that I admire Liz-ZÉE Bor-DENN!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20July 2, 2018 4:55 PM

Thank You Melania at r12 for your scintillating review. Now go get the axe!

by Anonymousreply 21July 2, 2018 5:08 PM

Well, wit Kristen Stewart in it, it's a guaranteed flop. Not that Chloe could expect much better anyway.

by Anonymousreply 22July 2, 2018 5:11 PM

The Christina Ricci movie already played up the Lizzie was a Lezzie storyline. It was dull as dishwater. Hopefully this one will be better.

by Anonymousreply 23July 2, 2018 5:17 PM

I thought Chloe was comedy gold on "Big Love"

by Anonymousreply 24July 2, 2018 5:22 PM

[quote] It was dull as dishwater.

DITCH water. The phrase is "dull as DITCH water," not DISH water.

by Anonymousreply 25July 2, 2018 5:27 PM

The Christina Ricci movie about Lizzie was fun.

by Anonymousreply 26July 2, 2018 5:32 PM

Elizabeth Montgomery did a fantastic job of playing Lizzie Borden and that TV movie had a great supporting cast.

by Anonymousreply 27July 2, 2018 5:50 PM

Well, dish water is pretty dull, too.

by Anonymousreply 28July 3, 2018 12:42 AM

Just the facts, Miss.

by Anonymousreply 29July 3, 2018 1:06 AM

[quote]R25 DITCH water. The phrase is "dull as DITCH water," not DISH water.

Your ASS is ditch water.

by Anonymousreply 30July 3, 2018 1:15 AM

I remembered seeing a documentary on the murders on a cable channel that had Phil Vannater on. The maid was Bridget Sullivan who was an illiterate Irish immigrant. The suggestion was that if Lizzie said Sullivan did it, she almost certainly would have been believed. But she didn't and Sullivan also seemed to protect Lizzie. The Bordens were so smug that they called Bridget by the name of their previous maid.

by Anonymousreply 31July 3, 2018 1:23 AM

Only if Drew plays Chlo-ee playing Lizzie

by Anonymousreply 32July 3, 2018 1:25 AM

[quote]I thought Chloe was comedy gold on "Big Love"

She was cock-sucking gold in “Brown Bunny”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33July 3, 2018 1:54 AM

This premiered at Sundance back in January. It was lifeless and boring. Even Chloe expressed her disappointment with the film.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34July 3, 2018 1:56 AM

^^ Your ASS is lifeless and boring.

by Anonymousreply 35July 3, 2018 2:00 AM

R19 = clueless knee-jerk who hasn’t seen the film.

by Anonymousreply 36July 3, 2018 2:00 AM

The homphobic, gay-bashing troll is back repeating itself again.

Its only agenda is to denigrate gays and lesbians; it’s doing it also on the DISOBEDIENCE thread.

Don’t obey it; please F/F.

It has no regard for film quality, it’s just trying to discourage gays.

LIZZIE is getting rave reviews.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37July 3, 2018 2:08 AM

R35 Whatever! You said yourself that you were disappointed in the film. You were easily the best part of it, though.

R36 No, R19's assessment of the film is pretty accurate.

Lol. Rave reviews? It has a Metascore of 60 on Metacritic and an Average Rating of 4.8/10 among Top Critics on Rotten Tomatoes.

by Anonymousreply 38July 3, 2018 2:13 AM

So good.

by Anonymousreply 39July 3, 2018 2:18 AM

ttreyy

by Anonymousreply 40July 3, 2018 3:15 PM

Trailer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41August 3, 2018 11:43 PM

I actually find Lizzie’s story to be surprisingly pedestrian.

Is it going to be revisionist and warp the story into some sort of metoo narrative?

by Anonymousreply 42August 3, 2018 11:54 PM

Oh I should have read upthread a bit — yes it looks like there’s sone serious revisionism going on here:

[quote]lesbians. She murdered because she was being disinherited for being a lesbian.

Ah so now instead of being a churlish heiress sidelined by her father’s remarriage she’s a tragic lesbian.

by Anonymousreply 43August 3, 2018 11:59 PM

Now we know. Lizzie Borden was a TERF and her stingy pap was becoming trans.

by Anonymousreply 44August 4, 2018 12:15 AM

That’s whacky!!!!

by Anonymousreply 45August 4, 2018 12:20 AM

One of the attractive pictures of Lizzie Borden.

I have been to the house where the murders were committed. It was a good-sized house, but at the time, it lacked the modern conveniences that a family with their money should have had. After the murders the house she moved to was much more grand, as was the neighborhood. This is where she started playing Holland Taylor to Nance O'Neil's Sarah Paulson.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46August 4, 2018 1:48 PM

[quote]It's not a horror flick played for thrills like the cheap Lizzie Borden flicks that have come before.

I agree with the posters above who say that the version with Elizabeth Montgomery was pretty good - which isn't to say I'm not looking forward to this new take.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47August 4, 2018 1:57 PM

There was a lot of ground covered in the Elizabeth Montgomery movie. I've seen several pieces on the murders and there's been very little new information in all those decades.

by Anonymousreply 48August 4, 2018 3:14 PM

How can you say it’s not played for thrills when I hear she’s filmed buck assed nekkid during the murder scene getting sprayed with the victims’ blood?

by Anonymousreply 49August 4, 2018 4:12 PM

That's a regular Saturday morning for most os us.

by Anonymousreply 50August 4, 2018 7:25 PM

With the exception of the lesbian storyline, it looks like everything from the Elizabeth Montgomery movie, right down to the nudity.

by Anonymousreply 51August 4, 2018 8:28 PM

Has any film with Kristen Steward since that stupid vampire series made any money? Casting her in an indie film seems to be a kiss of death. Why are these (male) directors rushing to hire her?

by Anonymousreply 52August 4, 2018 8:31 PM

Both these actresses are a bit aloof and too cool for school. I wish they had cast warmer women with more of a spark.

by Anonymousreply 53August 4, 2018 8:33 PM

Is there any truth to the lesbianism in this story or is it speculation?

by Anonymousreply 54August 4, 2018 9:05 PM

Yes, r2..........

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55August 4, 2018 9:17 PM

r54, Lizzie and her sister had a big falling out over Lizzie's entertaining theatre folk at the family home. Actors were thought to be on the same social level as prostitutes then. They did not speak for the last 20 years of their lives.

One of the Lizzie bios I read shows letters Lizzie wrote to actress Nance O'Neil, including one that said something like "I dreamt of you last night, but I dare not put this dream to paper."

This is not concrete proof of a lesbian life, but pretty close.

by Anonymousreply 56August 4, 2018 9:45 PM

Didn't they live together, r56? I thought she lived with some woman.

by Anonymousreply 57August 4, 2018 9:48 PM

Chloe Sevigny is a Class Act. She has always been a supporter of GLBT rights and she always selects top projects. I want to be Chloe in my next life.

by Anonymousreply 58August 4, 2018 9:52 PM

And so you shall, r58.....

by Anonymousreply 59August 4, 2018 9:54 PM

Is the title of the movie "Lezzie Bordon Took an Axe"? Hey, the axe is now a phallic symbol. "Bridgitte! Bring me the axe".

by Anonymousreply 60August 4, 2018 9:57 PM

Was Chloe sucking a real dick in Brown Bunny or a prosthetic? Gallo holds it in a way to make it seem fake. Anyone know the story?

by Anonymousreply 61August 4, 2018 10:46 PM

Chole rocks!

by Anonymousreply 62August 5, 2018 12:43 AM

[quote]How can you say it’s not played for thrills when I hear she’s filmed buck assed nekkid during the murder scene getting sprayed with the victims’ blood?

I didn't see that as being played for "thrills" or or even for shock value.

On a practical level, she was naked because it eliminated the need to get rid of bloody clothing.

But the film implies more: there's a reference in the movie about the symbolically heavy & stifling the clothes (or trappings) of being a woman were at that time.

Consequently, Lizzie removing her clothes was clearly meant to be read as a form of liberation.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63August 5, 2018 2:52 AM

[quote]r54 Is there any truth to the lesbianism in this story or is it speculation?

It's speculation...but Borden did take up with an artistic crowd later in life, particularly actress Nance O'Neal. This caused a rift with her sister, and Ttere was gossip about this relationship.

by Anonymousreply 64August 5, 2018 2:55 AM

^^ sorry, spelled Nance O'NEIL

by Anonymousreply 65August 5, 2018 2:56 AM

Nance O'Neal was a known lesbian.

by Anonymousreply 66August 5, 2018 3:01 AM

Maybe that torrid affair will be the sequel

by Anonymousreply 67August 5, 2018 3:06 AM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68August 5, 2018 3:07 AM

This sounds so boring and lame. And totally fiction. There was no affair with the maid. Lizzie had an, ah, close relationship with a female but it wasn't the hired help. She was involved with a rather unattractive actress named Nance O'Neil. They were I guess what could be called friends but no one really knows what the extent of their relationship was. LIzzie threw a big party for O'Neil and her theater troupe at her home and her sister Emma was so disgusted by Lizzie's largesse towards the greedy Nance that she packed up and left. It's pretty obvious that O'Neil used Lizzie to get money from her. Anyway, the idea of a lesbian affair between LIzzie and Nance O'Neil isn't exactly titillating. They were both unatractive, lumpy women.

by Anonymousreply 69August 5, 2018 3:08 AM

So they should have been chasing hot young things?

by Anonymousreply 70August 5, 2018 3:11 AM

Lizzie was a Lezzie. Love to bump uglies.

by Anonymousreply 71August 5, 2018 3:51 AM

The conjecture was that Lizzie had an incestuous relationship with her father. She's now buried next to him.

by Anonymousreply 72August 5, 2018 3:55 AM

If that's true, R72, she had every right to kill him.

As to stripping naked to commit the murders, if that's true, why was Borden reportedly seen burning an old dress the day of the murders?

by Anonymousreply 73August 5, 2018 3:57 AM

She said it got paint on it, which may have been true.

It still could have been torn up for rags, though. Victorians were very frugal.

So that's odd.

by Anonymousreply 74August 5, 2018 4:00 AM

R73, it wasn't the day of the murders, it was later. Borden said the dress had paint on it but I agree it's incriminating and it was done in front of a neighbor, who reported it.

The naked theory is titillating but not much credence is placed on it.

by Anonymousreply 75August 5, 2018 4:02 AM

"The conjecture was that Lizzie had an incestuous relationship with her father."

Oh, please! I don't know where THAT one came from, but it's ridiculous. So many crazy things have been said about the Borden murders. The maid did it. The sister did it. Some unknown man with a grudge against Andrew Borden did it. Lizzie did it while in a trance. The fact is that ALL the available evidence points to Lizzie. And the motive was money. Old man Borden was supposedly going to change his will and leave everything to his wife, Lizzie's stepmother. Lizzie killed both him and his wife to get his money. It really is that simple. But there are always people who want a titillating story filled with illicit sex and mystery, which is why all these crazy accusations and theories about this murder continue to this day.

by Anonymousreply 76August 5, 2018 4:09 AM

Now can't chop your

Mama up in Massachusetts

And then blame all the damage

On the mice (on the mice)

No, you can't chop your

Mama up in Massachausetts

That sort of thing just isn't very nice

by Anonymousreply 77August 5, 2018 4:11 AM

Lizzie's alibi when the murders happened was that she was eating pears in the attic of the barn that was in the backyard. Sitting in a stifling attic on a sweltering hot August day. Yeah, sure.

by Anonymousreply 78August 5, 2018 4:36 AM

[quote]Anyway, the idea of a lesbian affair between LIzzie and Nance O'Neil isn't exactly titillating. They were both unatractive, lumpy women.

So cinema verite.

by Anonymousreply 79August 5, 2018 4:39 AM

I read an interview with Chloe recently and she said her family in CT are deplorables now.

by Anonymousreply 80August 5, 2018 4:51 AM

Maplecroft, the home she shared with Nance O'Neil, was sold recently to the owners of the murder house/B&B.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81August 5, 2018 4:54 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82August 5, 2018 4:57 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83August 5, 2018 5:06 AM

ooops.... wrong thread!

by Anonymousreply 84August 5, 2018 5:19 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85August 5, 2018 5:20 AM

I JUST DID IT AGAIN.

ohmyfuckingGOD

by Anonymousreply 86August 5, 2018 5:30 AM

More like Lezzie Borden, amirite?

by Anonymousreply 87August 5, 2018 3:41 PM

So, a trailer is released and all of a sudden this thread is brought back to life. How pedestrian.

by Anonymousreply 88August 5, 2018 7:05 PM

I want to see the movie. I think Chloë is very underrated and overlooked, I think she is a very good actress.

by Anonymousreply 89August 6, 2018 12:36 AM

I like her, too

by Anonymousreply 90August 6, 2018 3:13 PM

I was looking for sinkers, r78. I really needed those sinkers.

by Anonymousreply 91August 6, 2018 3:20 PM

Sure, LIzzie. You were up in a sweltering hayloft looking for sinkers so you could go fishing and leisurely eating pears while your father and stepmother were being axed to death. Pull the other one!

by Anonymousreply 92August 6, 2018 9:20 PM

It was positively criminal that Elizabeth Montgomery did not win the Emmy for her performance of Lizzie Borden.

by Anonymousreply 93August 6, 2018 9:25 PM

Oh lord who keeps giving Kristen Stewart work??

by Anonymousreply 94August 6, 2018 9:30 PM

Bad people

by Anonymousreply 95August 7, 2018 3:35 AM

Well, she was in one of the highest-grossing film series of all time. That will giver her some clout for a while. Besides, she is mostly starring in small indie films.

by Anonymousreply 96August 7, 2018 9:24 AM

LIZZIE Official Trailer

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 97August 13, 2018 12:34 AM

Lizzie Poster

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 98August 13, 2018 12:36 AM

A few yrs ago I did some research on Borden. She was indeed a lesbian. But the most interesting tidbit of info I came across was about her sister. On the day of the murders she was visiting with friend. At the actual time of the murders she had borrowed a horse cart from the friends. It was seen two streets over from the Borden house that day. I don't know what happened but it appears to me that it was a well planned out crime and all three women were involved.

The sister was very unhappy about Lizzie's chosen companion and it caused a rift between them in later yrs.

by Anonymousreply 99August 13, 2018 5:05 AM

Gallo's cock is held in certain ways and the cameras work the way they do because ...... it was not his real cock.

Obviously.

Chloe's gross though. She spent much the 90s passing herpes around from what Gallo said.

by Anonymousreply 100August 13, 2018 5:20 AM

R100 Gallo is a cunt don't listen to his words

by Anonymousreply 101August 14, 2018 12:06 AM

On August 4, 1892, everything changed. #LizzieTheMovie

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 102August 30, 2018 7:15 AM

BluRay cover

The thriller film Lizzie comes to Bluray (plus Digital ), DVD and On Demand on December 11 from Lionsgate. Watch as Lizzie Borden (#ChloëSevigny) must carry the murder accusations of her family, while she sparks an unorthodox relationship with a caring maid (#KristenStewart

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 103October 23, 2018 8:16 PM

I'm not sure about the film but whoever did this costume that Chloe is in must hate her, and is brilliant.

by Anonymousreply 104October 23, 2018 8:52 PM

Chloë Sevigny Brought Her Own Vintage 19th-Century Dresses to Wear in "Lizzie"

Plus, costume designer Natalie O'Brien explains how Kristen Stewart would sneak jeans and Converse under her 1890s housemaid costumes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 105October 23, 2018 8:57 PM

Old axe murders through modern eyes in Lizzie

This is a "whydunnit", not a whodunnit, with the film building a case for Lizzie that makes her plight understandable, without excusing her entirely.

This is a work designed for Sevigny and Stewart to show their acting range. On display is a palette of 19th-century repressed moods - repressed lust, repressed rage, repressed sadness - that each fully masters, which even the cathartic scene of mayhem cannot fully unbottle.

The team has come up with a psychologically realistic but polite work that, like the corsets around Lizzie's torso, feels too buttoned-down and joyless for its own good.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 106October 24, 2018 10:32 PM

Not at all as twisty as I imagined it to be, but still a successful thriller in its own right There's a much lesser focus on the actual events of the murders and more on the circumstances that led to it

by Anonymousreply 107October 26, 2018 4:50 AM

Am I remembering correctly that the in Elizabeth Montgomery version they implied that Lizzie's father was molesting her?

by Anonymousreply 108October 26, 2018 5:00 AM

That is correct, R108. There was also a suggestion, if I’m not mistaken, that Andrew was a necrophiliac(?!).

I’ve been fascinated with this case for years. Know all the ins and outs. I don’t believe Emma had anything to do with it. I loved Arnold Brown’s book about his wacky theory (Andrew had a crazed, bastard son who killed him and Lizzie covered it up), but I don’t believe it.

The 1975 TV movie is a must own. The recent DVD release of it (why not a blu ray?!) looks really good, too. Better than any online stream you might find.

Chloë was unhappy with the movie because the director they ultimately hired deviated from her original vision for the movie, but I never found out what that vision was. I’ll try to pry it out of her next time I see her.

by Anonymousreply 109October 26, 2018 5:06 AM

[quote]I don’t believe Emma had anything to do with it.

What was the deal with her borrowing the horse and buggy from her friends and being seen 2 blocks from the house at the time of the murders? I was hoping this version might address that but Emma was barely a character.

by Anonymousreply 110October 26, 2018 5:13 AM

I’ve never heard that, R110. When did that information come to light, and how did they verify it was the same carriage?

by Anonymousreply 111October 26, 2018 5:19 AM

I think it’s certainly possible, even likely, that Emma knew Lizzie committed the murders and helped cover it up wherever possible. If the motive was inheritance, she stood to benefit equally.

by Anonymousreply 112October 26, 2018 5:20 AM

[quote] I’ll try to pry it out of her next time I see her.

Is this tongue in cheek r109? If not then suggest to her if she does any commentary on a DVD release to be sure to talk about her version throughout as the movie plays.

by Anonymousreply 113October 26, 2018 1:52 PM

Not tongue in cheek, R113, and yes I will pass on that request.

by Anonymousreply 114October 26, 2018 6:57 PM

Chloë Sevigny on doing sex scenes: 'Oh God, my poor mother'

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 115October 27, 2018 8:21 PM

lizzie was good i think kristen stewart did a really good job especially with the accent

by Anonymousreply 116October 28, 2018 12:52 PM

I wonder why, since it's HER project, she didn't just hire a director that would make the film she wanted.

by Anonymousreply 117October 28, 2018 5:39 PM

She said the director was afraid to go campy so the movie came off repressed.

I thought it built tension very well and Chloe was great in it.

by Anonymousreply 118October 28, 2018 6:00 PM

Chloe no kids at her age of 44 or whatever. Why is she gay?

by Anonymousreply 119October 30, 2018 2:43 AM

Whatever her sexuality is she didn't fake pregnancy like desperate closet cases Jolie, Kidman, Holmes etc

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 120October 30, 2018 10:20 AM

Lizzie Poster #3

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 121December 5, 2018 7:34 AM

To the Lizzie “experts” upthread, why did Lizzie do it?

Was it just “inheritance”? I thought I read that the dad was at least verbally abusive and an *insane* tightwad who was so cheap that he made the family eat rotten food.

Is any of that true?

by Anonymousreply 122December 5, 2018 8:05 AM

*What were Lizzie and the father really like, and how could Lizzie kill 2 people by herself without a gun and without at least one adult person fighting her off?

by Anonymousreply 123December 5, 2018 8:06 AM

WHY DOES THIS HORRID ACTRESS HAVE A CAREER ????

by Anonymousreply 124December 5, 2018 10:15 AM

I don't think she's horrid

by Anonymousreply 125December 5, 2018 5:48 PM

Chloe isn’t gay-gay, idiot @ R119.

by Anonymousreply 126December 5, 2018 6:22 PM

Lizzie did it for the money. Andrew Borden was 70 but in good health; the Bordens regularly lived into their 90s so she would have had to wait another 20 plus years to see a dine. Also, Andrew had bought a house which his wife's mother and sister lost to taxes, then conveyed it back to them. Lizzie was outraged that her inheritance was being spent on Abby's relatives. Also, there is a school of thought that Andrew was never supposed to be killed. He came home early that day, after Abby had been m murdered, and that once her body was discovered, Andrew would have known Lizzie w as the killer. So Lizzie hacked him up as well, some 20 minutes after he arrived home.

by Anonymousreply 127December 5, 2018 8:01 PM

I hope it’s scary and bloody.

by Anonymousreply 128December 5, 2018 8:08 PM

R124 Chloe is a great actress

by Anonymousreply 129December 5, 2018 8:12 PM

At one point I was heavily into this story, but I never knew about Emma coming back to Fall River in a cart. I seem to recall that the dust up in the barn loft hadn't appeared disturbed enough for a recent visit as Lizzie claimed?

Christina Ricci did a series as Lizzie, not just a movie?

by Anonymousreply 130December 5, 2018 8:13 PM

That is all very plausible, R127. So you don’t think there’s an abuse backstory?

I know there have been several books written on the subject but I haven’t read any of the really good, factual ones. I’d love to read a well sourced one that examines the “Lizzie was abused” angle.

The most comprehensive book is a tome called Parallel Lives. I think it was published by the Fall River Historical Society. I wish I could afford it. It pops up sometimes on Amazon and eBay. I don’t know what exactly it espouses in the way of murder theories.

By the way, the Lizzie Borden Podcast is a *great* listen. I think there aren’t only 9 or so episodes but it might be ongoing.

by Anonymousreply 131December 5, 2018 8:13 PM

R130, that’s true about the dust on the barn floor. It’s also utterly implausible that she would have said up there eating *several* pairs on a 90-degrees+ day, dressed as Victorian women did, on the upper loft of a barn. Madness. She said while she was up there she heard a “scraping” sound a a distressed moan.

The only testimony Lizzie ever gave was at the coroner’s inquest, and I highly recommend reading it to anyone interested in the case, if you haven’t already. It was included as an addendum in Arnold Brown’s entertaining, highly informative, but ultimately looney book, Lizzie Borden: The Legend, The Truth, The Final Chapter. Even if Brown’s theory (Andrew had a demented, bastard son whose existence was mostly kept secret, and he was the one who killed A & A) doesn’t hold up, the rest of the book is actually very factual and illuminating and once you read it, you’ll be hooked. I read it two or three times 25+ years ago and I’ve never forgotten any of the details.

Speaking of the details, Emma was sent for via telegram after the murders occurred and she arrived later that day, in the amount of time it would have normally taken to travel from where she was visiting family. I’ve never heard any plausible theory about how her buggy was just across the street.

by Anonymousreply 132December 5, 2018 8:19 PM

Ugh:

[quote] It’s also utterly implausible that she would have said up there eating *several* pairs

That was, obviously, “would have SAT up there eating several PEARS”.

by Anonymousreply 133December 5, 2018 8:22 PM

Yep, R116. I was also pleasantly surprised by Stewarts performance, especially her Irish accent.

by Anonymousreply 134December 5, 2018 8:26 PM

R130 Christina Ricci did a series as Lizzie, not just a movie?

I think it was a series and a movie

Lizzie Borden Took an Ax - 2014 movie

The Lizzie Borden Chronicles - 2015 limited series

by Anonymousreply 135December 5, 2018 8:28 PM

Can anyone explain why the Bordens referred to the maid as Maggie in the movie, even though her name was Bridget? Someone upthread says it was because their previous maid was named that, but in the movie Lizzie says it's because of where Bridget comes from, which I take to mean Ireland. I tried to google it but didn't really have any luck. I know that Irish men were frequently referred to as "Paddy".

by Anonymousreply 136December 5, 2018 8:33 PM

“Maggie” was a common nickname for Irish girls, but I also like the idea of the Bordens being so clueless and arrogant that they just kept calling her by their previous maid’s name because they couldn’t be bothered to learn the name Bridget. I think that’s really funny.

Fun fact: poor Bridget didn’t know her actual birthdate, so when asked by investigators what her age was, she said “about 25”.

by Anonymousreply 137December 5, 2018 8:37 PM

The bad was called Maggie because that was the name of the first maid hired by the Bordens. Andrew was in the habit of regularly sacking the help, so rather than learn the names of every maid, they simply called all their maids Maggie.

by Anonymousreply 138December 5, 2018 8:42 PM

But wasn’t it also a common nickname for Irish girls, R138?

by Anonymousreply 139December 5, 2018 8:43 PM

I believe that is true about Irish maids being called "Maggie", but their first maid was actually named Maggie.

by Anonymousreply 140December 5, 2018 8:50 PM

It has recently come to my attention that I love axe murders!

by Anonymousreply 141December 5, 2018 8:50 PM

I really like the oppressive atmosphere of this movie. You can almost feel the sweltering heat, and instead of a musical score there are sounds of insects chirping throughout.

I'm glad they didn't go with camp, if that was Sevigny's original vision.

by Anonymousreply 142December 5, 2018 8:51 PM

I was worried about Kristen Stewart sporting an Irish accent but she did a pretty good job! Overall, I really enjoyed the plot obv and the cinematography.

by Anonymousreply 143December 5, 2018 11:02 PM

Black railway porters were always called George, even if you saw them regularly enough to individualize them.

by Anonymousreply 144December 5, 2018 11:46 PM

Why does the father sound like an asshole (“he regularly sacked the help”, etc.)?

Was he an asshole??

by Anonymousreply 145December 6, 2018 2:36 PM

No nominations???

Bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 146December 6, 2018 6:32 PM

Kristen Stewart ABOSUTELY deserved a best supporting nomination for this.

by Anonymousreply 147December 6, 2018 6:33 PM

R145, he was a notorious asshole. Always cutting corners when he ran his... funeral home? I’m surprised I can’t remember exactly what business Andrew Borden had, but he would make caskets and supposedly would saw off the feet of certain deceased in order to fit them in the boxes.

He was also a miser, which is why Lizzie (probably) wanted him dead. The didn’t have many of the available amenities in their house that most people of their level of wealth already had.

After the trial, she bought a big house on a hill, called it Maplecroft, and spared no expense.

by Anonymousreply 148December 6, 2018 9:52 PM

both Chloe and Kristen did such a great job in this absolutely deserved to be nominated for their work but snubbed as always

by Anonymousreply 149December 6, 2018 9:54 PM

I think Lizzie was younger.

by Anonymousreply 150December 6, 2018 10:03 PM

Yeah, what I've heard is that Andrew had a lot of money, but wouldn't spend it, even on upgrading the house with modern (for the time) conveniences.

by Anonymousreply 151December 6, 2018 10:04 PM

Lizzie Posters from Russia and South Korea

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 152December 13, 2018 6:09 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 153December 13, 2018 6:09 AM

Lizzie Poster #4

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 154December 25, 2018 7:54 AM

How does this non actor get work?????

Homely as a donkey

by Anonymousreply 155December 26, 2018 7:17 AM

R155 troll

by Anonymousreply 156December 26, 2018 7:57 AM

hush chloe

by Anonymousreply 157December 26, 2018 8:26 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!