Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Is there something about being a property manager that attracts cunts?

It seems like 90% of the buildings I have lived in have the most incompetent - yet incredibly rude / condescending bitches working there. It's kind of like HR, but worse in some ways. I think it's something about controlling other people that is appealing to them. I can only think of one incredibly nice landlord that I had and then a few that were neutral, but most were just the absolute worst. Even when I lived in a very small condo building, the one person who (desperately) wanted to be the condo president was this lawyer who turned out to be a huge useless bitch. We mistakenly let her be president, which was not fun for anyone.

by Anonymousreply 65September 16, 2020 2:09 PM

I agree with you completely OP. I live in a Co-op here in NY and my experience with the management , the board and the moron super has been very unpleasant. They are very petty and love making up arbitrary new rules at least once a month and I cant wait to sell and leave here hopefully in the next few years.

by Anonymousreply 1July 1, 2018 1:11 AM

Thanks R1. The main one I am dealing with now is the assistant property mgr and she'll send the most cunty emails to me while CCing the entire office & even names I don't know altogether. I never reply to them because I don't even want to give her the satisfaction. The last one was about making "improper" maintenance requests. Look bitch, I am new here - how am I supposed to know maintenance doesn't work on appliances? And why didn't anyone tell me how to use the freakish thermostat to begin with, so I never had to call? If she would have told me that in her stupid "orientation" to the building, I could have avoided it.

They also always seem to include "I would suggest that you...." in the emails. Like, no bitch, I don't need your "suggestions" about calling an outside handyman, as that is the logical next step.

I am thinking of writing a big FAQ for all owners and sending that to all of them (with a CC on her dozen names that she attaches) - saying "Due to all of the missing information I had when I moved in, I have compiled this FAQ for future residents. I would suggest that you distribute it to anyone who is moving-in rather than reprimanding them for seeking help from the office, since you don't provide it anyway." I can CC the owner of the management company too. lol.

Something like that... but then of course I have to see her fat ass for eternity.

by Anonymousreply 2July 1, 2018 1:22 AM

The trick is to out-cunt them immediately upon meeting or talking with them. Cunts always treat bigger cunts well. It's like tribal respect.

by Anonymousreply 3July 1, 2018 1:25 AM

Don't they take it as a threat to their ego though, R3? I am considering out-cunting her, but I haven't yet decided to pull the trigger. I can't live here like this though.

Even before I moved in, she was nasty.

by Anonymousreply 4July 1, 2018 1:28 AM

OMG OP I just found a few weeks ago the cunting property manager at my condo is gone. That bitch refused to do anything about a pipe that was leaking above my condo. A board member had to drag his ass in my condo and he knew I was about to beat his ass so finally agreed to have the association pay for the damage. We have a new manager now and I'm sure I'll have to get her ass together before long too. They seem to think their residents are charity cases. Bitch no, I pay your fucking salary to so you will provide service!

by Anonymousreply 5July 1, 2018 2:13 AM

Shit rolls downhill. The owners or corporate executives are cunts. The managers are cunts. The assistant managers are cunts. The bottom level flunkies are cunts. If you start out as a decent person, you either quit or become a cunt.

by Anonymousreply 6July 1, 2018 2:17 AM

straight property management is usually a conspiracy between lawyers and real estate people, who take on otherwise deadbeat property owners who enjoy having a buffer for their slum units without the headaches of customer service.

the lawyers write the mountain of documents to sign on move in, leaving the tenant on the hook for anything and everything they can possibly get away with charging back to them. the real estate people show the units and figure out new ways to bill you for things. they are under almost a silent injunction to never call maintenance unless it is something that might get them sued (no water or power to the unit). they otherwise usually don't have a lot of power, and like most customer service people, have to deal with bullshit flowing both ways while their hands are tied. hence the snippy emails.

still, the pisition either attracts or molds the employee into the perfect petty dictator. i worked under one that sent out notices if he could see items placed on the inside of your windowsill (like a child's toy train or other tchotchke). he also had a hissy because an elderly lady hung a flowered curtain on the inside, over the pieceofshit venetian blinds and would draw her drapes and not the blinds. dude should have popped an aneurysm and saved the world the trouble, but lord knows the evil never die.

by Anonymousreply 7July 1, 2018 2:29 AM

I'm so glad I'm not the only one dealing with this. I can't decide if my prop managers are more rude or more incompetent. The letters they send out are borderline illegal. None of the hundreds of people in our apartment complex has any respect for them, including the mainteance guys.

by Anonymousreply 8July 1, 2018 2:45 AM

Thanks for your replies... makes me feel better dealing with these people. I just don't know any other strategy at this point. If I am anything but

Even my real estate agent who has been around 30 years and does mulit-million dollar deals (not mine) - was like "yep, I go in there bowing and scraping...it's how it is"

I looked up the management company on yelp and they have horrible reviews. This building is a bit nicer than average, but to the point of r6, the culture comes from the top. And to the point of r7 - yes, they are (to give them a sliver of sympathy) in a very DMV-like role, so there's not much room. That being said, I did have a landlord I loved for 5 years who had 1000 tenants in there (way more than here). She was just a nice person. She responded quickly, she never made any bitchy announcements, she was easy to reach. We once got this odd legal letter that lockouts would no longer be free, and she emailed to apologize about the legalese, explaining that the wording was necessary due to the ordinances here. (I didn't care - but it looked like a weird letter from a lawyer, not the building - which might have bothered someone.)

by Anonymousreply 9July 1, 2018 2:59 AM

I left off the end my sentence...

I just don't know any other strategy at this point. If I am anything but nice, then I have to live with enemies on the first floor. Who would want that. If I am an ass hole back to them, which I badly want to be, it'll probably just make the situation worse.

by Anonymousreply 10July 1, 2018 3:01 AM

It's a thankless job. Long hours, so-so pay and having to deal its some of the rudest and dumbest people ever born. I don't think it attracts cunts as much as the job turns people into a cunt.

by Anonymousreply 11July 1, 2018 3:14 AM

I fucked you hard Juan at Glen Arms, didn't I? French Canadian style justice. You'll think again, won't you?

by Anonymousreply 12July 1, 2018 3:37 AM

I once had a really great landlord with one big failing. He wanted to be a great employer as well as a great landlord, so he gave his building managers way too much authority. For them, it was almost like having a small business to run however they liked.

So, when our wonderful manager of several years retired and was replaced by the laziest, rudest, foulest, noisiest, cuntiest cunt ever, the owner was blissfully unaware that his building was turning to shit.

Her style of management consisted mainly of plastering all common areas with snotty notes, typed all uppercase and bold, berating tenants for everything that displeased her. The notes usually began with "SOMEONE HAS BEEN ..." and always ended with "YOU ARE BEING WATCHED AND WILL BE EVICTED WHEN CAUGHT!"

I had to laugh when a new note ordered us to stop tearing her notes off the wall and throwing them away. That one also ended with "YOU ARE BEING WATCHED AND WILL BE EVICTED WHEN CAUGHT!"

I think she's retired now, thank god.

by Anonymousreply 13July 1, 2018 4:14 AM

Most are on a power trip.

by Anonymousreply 14July 1, 2018 4:26 AM

I started a job as a property manager a month ago. Keep the stories coming.

by Anonymousreply 15July 1, 2018 3:01 PM

R15 - you can be a benevolent one.

There is also the issue of snobby doormen. Where I live now, the doormen gossip behind your back and report you to the management office if you "make too many requests" or call more than once a day for anything. It's a bit absurd considering the ONLY phone number we have is for their desk. So, if you call for the management office and then call for maintenance, you get a nasty letter from the management office that you are "monopolizing their time".

I am not into whores - but I want to just hire a parade of whores to annoy the doorman, especially this one black queen who has Beyonce's attitude on 40k a year. I asked him what the best way to go to the loading dock is when I moved in, and he (in the most SNOBBY voice on earth) said "you can walk outside - do you know where the street is? Or, you can walk through the garage. Do you know where that is or should I tell you?"

by Anonymousreply 16July 2, 2018 6:09 AM

Yes. The manager of my building is a man and he's a complete asshole. Most likely a sociopath. The woman who works for him is a total cunt, frau, cow.

by Anonymousreply 17July 2, 2018 6:13 AM

PHENOMENAL COSMIC POWER... itty bitty living space.

by Anonymousreply 18July 2, 2018 6:15 AM

[quote]total cunt, frau, cow.

They do tend to be fat too, don't they?

Sociopath wasn't a shock.

by Anonymousreply 19July 2, 2018 6:16 AM

Yes r16, I believe I am benevolent, but every day I question the company and other workers.

This thread is a godsend.

by Anonymousreply 20July 2, 2018 6:56 AM

Thanks R20

So what are your coworkers like? Tell us from the other side. Are they deliberately cunts or are they just ineffective / useless & blissfully unaware?

by Anonymousreply 21July 2, 2018 7:18 AM

I live in a 104 unit apartment where the commercial tenants and residential signed a petition to get rid of our fat sociopathic now (praise the Lord) ex-resident cunty manager. she had a newsletter that eventually the management group made her stop. I know she was speaking to me when she wrote don’t take your pets in the street. We are talking a public street where my car would be parked along the other side from our front door. She startled bloody screaming at me for not going out on a 13th floor fire escape with my new rescue dog (who I had already told her was afraid of small enclosures) during a bed bug canine inspection. She yelled she didn’t like my attitude and threatened me. Well I reported her and the bed bug man must have backed me up as she wrote an apology but I know she wasn’t sorry. she apparently pushed an elderly Asian lady into a wall too. We now have a great manager in her place who chooses to live elsewhere and it’s a whole new world for us deservedly.

by Anonymousreply 22July 2, 2018 7:32 AM

Guessing my boss is a Trump supporter who thinks she has made her way in the world with her recent "promotion." She is a micromanager, I am making what I made at another company in 2002, the benefits are unaffordable (I have my partner's), and they are 25 years behind the times technologically. I now use white-out and post payments to actual ledger cards. I'm not trusted to go to the bank at all or make an office supply purchase without approval. I have a graduate level degree and worked in this type of business since 1991. My former employer was completely different...fair pay, treated like a human...it was as if I ran my own business. This is sickening. I feel terrible for residents. They aren't treated any better and they are nice people who are educated and pay timely. It makes no sense. Some University of Phoenix grad on a power trip. Ick.

As stated above, they ask us to judge and tell people how to live--the lease doesnt say they have to keep the blinds closed, etc. just because she doesn't like them.

I attempted to start my own business but failed and thought this would be a reliable paycheck until I could try again. It is a lesson in how not to treat people.

by Anonymousreply 23July 2, 2018 4:51 PM

A frau with a laser printer, laminator, and a delusional need for control is a dangerous thing. Just look at this. There is not a single wall in my building gym that is not plastered with signs. No apartment I ever lived in had anything like this. They are completely insane. To be clear - I'm only showing 8 here out of 20 (You have to click the album to see the next 4). They just repeat the same signs over and over on every wall, post, mirror, and trash can.

Oh and their precious fucking towels leave lint all over my shirt. I wouldn't dare use my own or I might be accused of stealing the towels & jailed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24July 3, 2018 10:46 AM

r23 leave ASAP. it will only get worse. graduate degree and no trust. they treat their tenants like scum, and will do it to you if they get the chance.

my boss, after having worked there over a year, decided i didn't even answer the phone correctly. after having worked in customer service type jobs for 20 years, this was news. they made me work all holidays, and be on call when the office was closed. you end up having no real personal time. if you live on site, it's even worse. they start treating you like an owned slave or a serf of old.

run away, and don't look back or you will absorb the petty bitchiness into your bones.

by Anonymousreply 25July 3, 2018 11:13 AM

Thanks r25, I am actively seeking another job.

R24, I was told one sign saying the office is closed for the 4th of July isn't enough, make three. Also, I couldn't compose my own sign, only preapproved memos and signs are allowed. In the preapproved holiday memo folder, "independence" was spelled wrong. I corrected it, but that is considered going rogue.

by Anonymousreply 26July 4, 2018 8:02 AM

If something happens to you more than once or twice --> IT'S YOU

by Anonymousreply 27July 4, 2018 8:49 AM

R27 is an idiot. I'm sure she's been told more than twice.

by Anonymousreply 28July 4, 2018 9:06 AM

R24 I would take those signs down discreetly. No cameras, no people to see you. I'd keep taking them down too.

by Anonymousreply 29July 6, 2018 12:20 PM

My building had a small percentage of section 8 people - elderly. Then, I font know what happened but all of these foreigners moved in - from Russia and places in Africa - blacks that run illegal after school daycare (for kids that lie on application for school and use this address) on section 8.

I pay 2 grand a month. They raised my rent 60 dollars this year. Wtf with letting section 8 people in????? Isn't that welfare?

by Anonymousreply 30July 6, 2018 1:20 PM

Cont' There are white section 8 she hits her crotch droppings and screams at them in the elevator. Wtf with section 8 moving in???? The building is waterfront property and rents are high here!

by Anonymousreply 31July 6, 2018 1:22 PM

I feel ya. I have an elderly opiate addict Section 8 lady next to me. It is part of the mixed neighborhood theiry...people of varying incomes need to live in the same neighborhood to make it better.

by Anonymousreply 32July 7, 2018 3:29 AM

Horrible people in general, especially if you rent -- but I vote against trying to Out-Cunt in this case. You don't want to be friends with them anyway, who needs to get sucked into their drama, who needs that energy and anger. So smile and be obsequious and get what you want out of them or apologize profusely and then do whatever the fuck you want anyway.

There are better ways to play the game. Don't engage with assholes. They enjoy being shit disturbers so don't let them have the pleasure.

by Anonymousreply 33July 7, 2018 3:43 AM

My old condo building had various section 8 people - I never understood why. The condos sell quickly.

by Anonymousreply 34July 7, 2018 3:44 AM

i believe property owners have to jump through hoops to accept section 8 tenants. the property also has to meet certain requirements and be inspected regularly.

other than foreign owners who have figured out how to control all ends of the "slave employee/indentured servant human trafficking sweatshop" pipeline, i am not sure why any owner would want to deal with the hassle. probably tax writeoffs somewhere.

by Anonymousreply 35July 7, 2018 3:55 AM

Save money and buy your own place. Get rid of this problem and enjoy the benefits of ownership. Even in high dollar places, the mortgage payment will be similar to rent prices.

by Anonymousreply 36July 7, 2018 4:16 AM

The income mix is usually a development incentive of some sort. For example, in exchange for the city letting you add additional units above the number you could legally have, you need to make 10% of all units “affordable” so that teachers and cops who work here can afford to live here. That gets the city some cheaper housing without concentrating all poor people into a single building that brings down the value of the block

by Anonymousreply 37July 7, 2018 4:34 AM

The last rental I did was 20 years ago but I remember getting a cunty email that my deposit would not be returned until I returned the ice trays I had stolen. It actually said stolen! I marched right in there and read that bitch the riot act since my move-in form noted that the ice trays were missing. I asked her if she really expected me to spend $1 of my money to buy two ice trays for a multimillion dollar company, and she said she was just following up in case I “accidentally” packed them, which I pointed out to her and her boss is not what the word “stolen” means. I forwarded all of this correspondence to their corporate office and got an apology from them (along with my deposit check). I heard from a friend there that they were both let go shortly thereafter, and this specific incident was cited as an example.

by Anonymousreply 38July 7, 2018 4:43 AM

For the past five years I have been harassed by cunt property manager and I have started legal actions against her. She has allowed superintendents and her interim (she was on mat leave) property manager to harass me.

I've written to politicians, news reporters dealing with real estate outlining EVERYTHING she has done to me, and I have cc'd her on every email so they all know what a cunt she is, and she knows that her nasty attitude and behaviour is being exposed.

The sad thing is so many people allow themselves to be bullied by property managers that they don't fight back. Probably one of the reasons why they can get away with their cuntish behaviour.

by Anonymousreply 39July 7, 2018 5:32 AM

My property manager is a real cunt. FWIW her name is Cheryl.

by Anonymousreply 40July 7, 2018 5:53 AM

I have officially been at this job a month. I noticed people are very nice to me, maybe they sense I'm not against them or unprofessional. The previous manager couldn't keep track of payments, did not know them by name, was rude and discriminated openly. I'm in a large city with many Asian, Arab and Southern European immigrants. Kindness is free...I really don't get it. Also, the maintenance superintendent is a racist misogynistic Vietnam vet who is a total bully...openly. I don't have authority to fire him.

by Anonymousreply 41July 7, 2018 1:09 PM

Also, the residents are mostly sweethearts.

by Anonymousreply 42July 7, 2018 1:11 PM

A friend worked as a property manager for a while, and 99% of his horror stories involved the property owners, not the tenants. By and large the tenants were a great group, and he really got into their life stories--every month when they would come in to pay their rents they updated him on their relationship dramas, their problems at work, and (best of all) spread vicious gossip about their fellow tenants. It was a real life soap opera.

The owners were cunts who micromanaged and second guessed every nickel the company spent, and since they were the people he was actually working for, it's why he eventually quit.

by Anonymousreply 43July 7, 2018 1:20 PM

I just don't get letting section 8 into nice buildings. I mean .... Why immigrants? Why can they come to a new country with no job and then get a great apartment for a hundred bucks a month? And these aren't Mexicans. It's Russians. Wtf? The old fraus are awful ugly rude people. Is there a thing with Russians. Also Somalia? Wtf?

by Anonymousreply 44July 7, 2018 1:33 PM

I have Section 8 people. Since I moved in I'm thinking of moving. I didn't know it when I moved in. A great location. Everything central. A damn shame. It makes me not trust anything about the building.

by Anonymousreply 45July 7, 2018 1:35 PM

R44 here again. What I'm upset about most is 1. They treat everyone the same. We aren't. Don't treat me like a section 8 person. 2. The section 8 ppl will be here forever. My rent goes up every year. I'll be forced out. I cannot relax knowing I'll have to go.

tjis makes me very sad. I worked so hard to get a nice small apartment in the good part of town. No fair. 😡😥

I'm unemployed and paying rent with savings. I have PTSD and over 50. Good luck finding a job. But the immigrants are set! It makes anger and stirs up racism in me that hurts me.

by Anonymousreply 46July 7, 2018 1:40 PM

The immigrants that live where I work are paying market rate. Not everyone gets a great deal as an immigrant. Don't be a hater.

Also, many are educated, have decent jobs and are not interested in amenities. They can pay top dollar for very little in return.

R43, I am thinking I will quit soon too.

by Anonymousreply 47July 7, 2018 2:22 PM

R22 why were you not supposed to take your dog out to the street? Is it supposed to shit in the lobby?

by Anonymousreply 48July 7, 2018 2:35 PM

For fear people will step out of their cars and into dog shit.

by Anonymousreply 49July 8, 2018 12:38 AM

I resigned from my property manager job this week. My boss, an uneducated, but promoted former property manager herself, went on a horrifying power trip as of late.

I realized (duh) I have no power and it was her way or she would make my life hell. I had been under the false impression I was protecting residents, but no, I was a stooge.

She is also blaming everything she has fucked up in the last year on me. Business is always dirty, but dirty business with a trashy woman in a cheap outfit offends my sensibilities.

by Anonymousreply 50February 1, 2019 10:07 AM

Looks like there are two kinds of posters here:

1). People who don't like to follow rules and/or take orders from their superiors.

2). Racists who don't like "Section 8" people.

How wonderful.

by Anonymousreply 51February 1, 2019 10:34 AM

If taking orders from superiors means putting my health or a tenant's in jeopardy, you're right.

by Anonymousreply 52February 1, 2019 10:55 AM

There's a recurring job offer in my area for property manager of an international student residence. I've refrained from applying since I know very well this is what the job would entail.

by Anonymousreply 53February 1, 2019 11:21 AM

The property manager at my business office is a major cunt. A row of outdoor mailboxes got broken into and she left them laying out on the asphalt for 10 days! My partner was pissed and confronted the cunt. She told him that she was "leaving it the way I found it because police are supposed to take fingerprints". Fingerprints? No one takes fingerprints anymore. She's watched too many Perry Mason reruns.

My partner told her she was sending a message to thieves to "come on down and break in" by leaving all the debris on the ground and if the handyman was too incompetent to clean it up, then she should get off her ass and pick it up herself. She sat and glared at us during the exchange. I think her spackled-on makeup cracked because she was so pissed that we dared to criticize her. She wears those ridiculous false eyelashes and showgirl every day. Looks ridiculous.

The next day, she sent out a crow-eating email and actually wrote, "I know some of you are upset that this hasn’t been addressed and fixed yet, and think that this is because we “don’t want to” or are being “cheap”.! I cannot believe she threw her tenants under the bus. What a lazy bitch!

by Anonymousreply 54September 16, 2020 8:50 AM

I live in a condo. We have a sterling prop mgt. company. I am a total asshole customer if I'm paying for a service and it's below par. The former prop mgt. companies we've had SUCKED. And I was all too wiling to tell them. With this company I've had no complaints. I send them a $100 gift cert. to Paglicacci pizza at Christmastime. I don't expect any special favours, but it helps to be on their good side.

by Anonymousreply 55September 16, 2020 9:25 AM

R54 my house was broken into last winter and the police did, in fact, dust for fingerprints. It made a huge fucking mess. I’m guessing you’ll still be angry with her, which is your business I suppose. Maybe you’ve watched too many episodes of The Jetsons.

by Anonymousreply 56September 16, 2020 9:28 AM

Postal inspectors deal with mailboxes broken into, not municiapal police, it's a federal crime, but they won't be fingerprinting: , waste of time, too much time has elapsed since event, & evidence has been accessible to lots of people.

Maybe property managers aren't the sharpest tools. Or maybe no one's rational anymore, or maybe people expect irrationality now.

by Anonymousreply 57September 16, 2020 9:50 AM

R56 You think leaving a pile of debris (from property crime) outdoors on the ground for 10 days represents good property management?

How many people didn't touch the mailboxes in those 10 days? Prints taken could have come from any source.

The mess was right by the elevator - cant miss it if you're a client. It represents sloppy work from a lazy cunt, who I might remind you actually used quotes from tenants who complained to her. That's not professional in my book, but maybe it is in yours.

by Anonymousreply 58September 16, 2020 10:12 AM

They're like shopbottoms.

by Anonymousreply 59September 16, 2020 10:56 AM

"Is there something about being a property manager that attracts cunts?"

You mean, like people who start Datalounge threads? That level of cunt attraction?

I don't know--hard to say.

Because, you know, there are people who start threads about drop dead gorgeous real estate, and they're kind of fun.

And on the other hand, there's OP. Emphasis on the pee if you know what I mean.

Unless you're into that kind of thing, and if you are this post is just ruined for you.

Seriously, darlings, R U I N E D !

by Anonymousreply 60September 16, 2020 11:20 AM

I think they go to the same charm school as doctor's receptionists. The Snotty Cunt Academy.

by Anonymousreply 61September 16, 2020 11:39 AM

Could you imagine the nacreous layers of perma-cunt to be found in the HR department of a property management company?

by Anonymousreply 62September 16, 2020 11:49 AM

Try being under a management company that is not even on the property. Talk about corporate cunts on steroids. They are cunty like most mangers but with the anonymity and safety of a big corporation to hide behind if they don't want to talk to you or take responsibility for anything. Plus since they usually manage multiple properties, their sense of self importance is through the roof.

by Anonymousreply 63September 16, 2020 12:26 PM

It's a business relationship - they are not your friends. Don't let your emotions control your actions.

Try to think logically.

by Anonymousreply 64September 16, 2020 12:39 PM

It all of you folks vilifying Section 8 immigrants. Why don’t you own a condo/house? Why are you such a loser when you were BORN in America?

How does that feel?

by Anonymousreply 65September 16, 2020 2:09 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!