Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Male student accuses female professor of sexual harassment. Top feminists come to the defense... of the professor.

An unusual sexual-harassment case at New York University involving two former Israelis is causing stormy debate in the world of the humanities.

The uniqueness of the complaint – aside from the fact that both principals are Israelis – lies in the gender-role reversal at its center: The complainant is a man, a 30-year-old Ph.D. student, and the person against whom he has filed his complaint is a woman: Avital Ronell, 66, a world-renowned professor of German and comparative literature at NYU.

However, the real twist in the story – which has magnified it from a topic of departmental gossip into a huge controversy that could have major repercussions in the academic world – is the list of character witnesses for Ronell, about 50 eminent intellectuals, among them some of today’s leading feminist theoreticians. Their cries about a “witch hunt,” the call to avoid a “kangaroo court” and the emphasis on the achievements of the person said to be “the real victim in the story” are in many ways identical to the automatic reactions sometime heard to the accusations against men who are suspected of sexual harassment. However, when the signers of a statement in support of the accused are superstars like Judith Butler, the current high priestess of gender studies, and Slavoj Zizek, the moral conscience of international human rights and perhaps the world’s most famous living philosopher – the shock waves are far more powerful.

The complaint was filed in September at NYU’s Title IX office (the name refers to the federal civil rights law that prohibits discrimination on the basis of gender in federally funded educational institutions), the university department that deals with sexual harassment complaints. Insofar as is known, the philosophy doctoral student designated as M. and Ronell had an adviser-advisee relationship over a period of about five years. M. was an admirer of Ronell and according to the complaint, for her part she had a special affection for him, so much so that the boundaries between the professional and the personal became blurred.

It is known, for example, that Ronell hosted M. in Paris and introduced him to writer Pierre Alféri, son of Ronell’s mentor Jacques Derrida. The circumstances of the souring of the relationship aren’t clear, nor is it known if it was gradual process or if a single incident led to the rupture. People close to Ronell have said the filing of the complaint came as a “total shock” to her as there had been no hints that M. was about to “turn on her.” They noted that Ronell was appalled to discover that the complainant had accused her of “psychological abuse.”

It’s quite possible that the investigation of the complaint would have remained confidential had it not been the extraordinary letter colleagues of Ronell sent to the NYU administration. In the May 11 missive addressed to university president Andrew Hamilton and its provost, Katharine Fleming, they wrote: “We have all seen her relationship with students, and some of us know the individual who has waged this malicious campaign against her We deplore the damage that this legal proceeding causes her, and seek to register in clear terms our objection to any judgment against her. We hold that the allegations against her do not constitute actual evidence, but rather support the view that malicious intention has animated and sustained this legal nightmare.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65July 6, 2018 12:06 AM

Not surprising at all that feminists defend the professor. They want revenge, not equality.

by Anonymousreply 1June 30, 2018 2:40 AM

R1 you’re wrong, we just want equality. But given that we’ve been wronged since the beginning of time by men, I think we’re entitled to revenge as well.

by Anonymousreply 2June 30, 2018 2:49 AM

Ugh at R2

Cunt.

by Anonymousreply 3June 30, 2018 2:50 AM

who knows if there was harassment. everyone is entitled to due process. sadly, feminists have been working to get rid of that for decades. sooner rather than later one of their own will get ensnared in the trap they've laid.

by Anonymousreply 4June 30, 2018 2:54 AM

[quote]We hold that the allegations against her do not constitute actual evidence,

Reallllllllly? And yet EVERY male who is accused by a female of exactly the same thing is assumed guilty by this same coven. What a bunch of hypocritical c words.

by Anonymousreply 5June 30, 2018 2:59 AM

[quote]R1 you’re wrong, we just want equality. But… I think we’re entitled to revenge as well.

Frau Brigade is here.

by Anonymousreply 6June 30, 2018 3:02 AM

I always suspected that feminists were using #MeToo, not as a vehicle for sexual justice, but as a weapon in the war of the sexes. The slogans they used gave strong indication of this fact - #BelieveWomen, for example, which explicitly assumes that legitimate victims of sexual harassment are only women, and implicitly also assumes that the accused must always be a man.

The first solid evidence of this came to me in the case of Cristina Garcia, a California lawmaker who was accused with sexual harassment and homophobia by male aides and lobbyists. Not only was she not forced to leave her post, but she also won the Democratic Party endorsement weeks AFTER the accusations were made public. On the internet, there was no campaign to get her out of office, but I have no doubt there would have been one if the sexes were reversed.

r2's post makes this clear. What feminists want is not justice, but a witch hunt on men - all men. We should remember when the next man is accused. If women are allowed to be tribalistic in their sympathies, so must we.

And just one more thing, r2: As Nietzsche said, women have historically been treated by men as exotic pets - in a softer, more compassionate, more tolerant way than men have treated other men. Any statistics on violence, whether in times of peace or war, will makes this clear - women are treated with more compassion than men, not less. So please do not confuse your cause with that of truly persecuted groups, such as as racial minorities and religious or gay men.

by Anonymousreply 7June 30, 2018 3:16 AM

I think the feminists who are coming to her defense are older, 2nd wave type feminists. These are the type who are more interested in achievement and freedom than helplessness and victimhood. I've noticed while they tend to be harder edged than many millennial feminists, they are less prone to puritanism. Many older feminists have defended men embroiled in similar scandals, see the Kipnis debacle.

by Anonymousreply 8June 30, 2018 3:17 AM

No one should have to go through this type of thing if they are innocent.

What is fascinating is that there is clearly a double standard at play in this case. Also, if the genders were reversed, the male colleagues would never have been able to take a stand for fear of being eviscerated as enablers.

No facts are known. While these women may be willing to play at a double standard, I am not.

by Anonymousreply 9June 30, 2018 3:18 AM

No facts are known to the general public, you mean.

If Butler and so many others are willing to put their own careers on the chopping block IF THEY ARE WRONG, and have come out in her defense in such a public way (knowing the repercussions to them would be huge IF they are wrong), I would be interested in what they have to say.

They know the stakes, and Butler is certainly no fool.

by Anonymousreply 10June 30, 2018 3:22 AM

[quote][R1] you’re wrong, we just want equality. But given that we’ve been wronged since the beginning of time by men, I think we’re entitled to revenge as well.

That’s not how it works. Move it along, toots.

by Anonymousreply 11June 30, 2018 3:24 AM

[quote] Also, if the genders were reversed, the male colleagues would never have been able to take a stand for fear of being eviscerated as enablers.

If the genders were reversed, and several high profile men of unimpeachable characters--let's say, a few guys in intellectual world of the caliber of Chomsky--they would certainly not be labeled enablers off the bat. A lifetime of integrity means something to intelligent readers of the news.

by Anonymousreply 12June 30, 2018 3:26 AM

He obviously was sucking up to her to build up his career and connections. He probably did something that broke the spell and lost the privilege of following her around. So he is being vindictive instead of moving on. Seen this kind of stuff in academia when I worked as a researcher in a university lab.

by Anonymousreply 13June 30, 2018 3:28 AM

Sidebar— what is that thing on her head? It looks a little cultural appropriate-y to me but I could be wrong.

by Anonymousreply 14June 30, 2018 3:32 AM

[quote]They noted that Ronell was appalled to discover that the complainant had accused her of “psychological abuse.”

It's hard to know what to think, as this is rather vague.

What is the accusation, exactly? Where is the "sexual harassment" part?

by Anonymousreply 15June 30, 2018 3:34 AM

[quote]R7 As Nietzsche said, women have historically been treated by men as exotic pets - in a softer, more compassionate, more tolerant way than men have treated other men.

You mean when they're not beating and raping them, and keeping most in menial jobs?

by Anonymousreply 16June 30, 2018 3:36 AM

[quote]No facts are known to the general public, you mean.

Agreed. I should have been clearer. However, I doubt that her defenders know the details beyond what she has told them.

[quote]If Butler and so many others are willing to put their own careers on the chopping block IF THEY ARE WRONG, and have come out in her defense in such a public way (knowing the repercussions to them would be huge IF they are wrong), I would be interested in what they have to say.

[quote]They know the stakes, and Butler is certainly no fool.

That's just my point - there are and will be no negative repercussions if they are wrong if she is guilty. Unlike the men who have been accused, anyone defending them has been attacked and crucified, so very few people come to their defense. It's suicide to do so. There are no stakes and she has absolutely nothing to lose.

Has there been one instance where any woman has suffered a consequence as a result of defending a guilty person? Look at the false rape accusation from Rolling Stone or the Duke Lacrosse incident. Women's groups came out in droves to support the "victim" but when the allegation was proven false, they all deflected and talked about generalities.

Same will happen here if she turns out to be guilty. They'll immediate start talking about all the other incidents that were true without suffering at all.

by Anonymousreply 17June 30, 2018 3:43 AM

[quote]If the genders were reversed, and several high profile men of unimpeachable characters--let's say, a few guys in intellectual world of the caliber of Chomsky--they would certainly not be labeled enablers off the bat. A lifetime of integrity means something to intelligent readers of the news.

That's laughable on so many levels. Firstly, you're comparing this Avital nobody to Noam Chomsky. Secondly, you're making too much out of Chomsky. If a Senator such as Al Franken can be taken down by flimsy accusations, so can a mere professor like Chomsky. And by the way, if Chomsky was accused of sex harassment, the media would have a field day - no, a field semester - about it. Chomsky is very unliked on the media. He is after all a critic of US foreign policy, and this subject - the US right to bomb and destroy other countries - is the one thing the entire mainstream media, from the NYT to Fox News, agrees about. Further, he would be used as evidence that "Bernie Bros" are indeed sexist predators, and we know how the media loves such stories.

And yes, I know of the sympathy that Al Franken has received after his resignation - but such sympathy was lacking before he stepped down. Before, Dems felt THE DUTY to denounce him in order to avoid charges of hypocrisy.

by Anonymousreply 18June 30, 2018 4:00 AM

[quote]R18 Before, Dems felt THE DUTY to denounce [Franken] in order to avoid charges of hypocrisy.

I think everyone actually KNEW what he did was wrong. It was an honest response.

by Anonymousreply 19June 30, 2018 4:26 AM

We need to see pic of the Israeli student to judge.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20June 30, 2018 4:27 AM

R13 I thought that too. I'd watch this guy. He sounds like trouble.

by Anonymousreply 21June 30, 2018 4:38 AM

[quote]R13 He obviously was sucking up to her to build up his career and connections. He probably did something that broke the spell and lost the privilege of following her around. So he is being vindictive instead of moving on. Seen this kind of stuff in academia when I worked as a researcher in a university lab.

Another vote for this scenario.

by Anonymousreply 22June 30, 2018 4:43 AM

You go, Grandma!!!

by Anonymousreply 23June 30, 2018 4:51 AM

Is she cut or uncut

by Anonymousreply 24June 30, 2018 4:52 AM

Miss Geist from Cluless got a job at NYU?? Good for her!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25June 30, 2018 5:14 AM

R17, I'll get to you later. There is a depressed sap on a different thread that I need to help.

R18, you should be given a trophy for fucking up a metaphor. You didn't understand my post at all.

Be back later.

by Anonymousreply 26June 30, 2018 5:20 AM

Prof Brian Leiter on the letter signed on Ronell's behalf:

[quote]Imagine that such a letter had been sent on behalf of Peter Ludlow, Colin McGinn, John Searle, Thomas Pogge or anyone other than a feminist literary theorist: there would be howls of protest and indignation at such a public assault on a complainant in a Title IX case. The signatories collectively malign the complainant as motivated by "malice" (i.e., a liar), even though they admit to knowing nothing about the findings of the Title IX proceedings--and despite that they also demand that their friend be acquitted, given her past "mentorship of students". (I imagine many faculty members found guilty, correctly, in a Title IX proceeding have also mentored lots of students, chaired a department, and produced notable scholarship.) If Professor Ronell had any role in soliciting this letter, it looks to me like a clear case of retaliation against the complainant that will compound her and the university's problems.

[quote]But you get a real sense of the hypocrisy and entitlement of these precious "theorists" in the concluding paragraph of the letter addressed to the NYU President and Provost:

[quote]"We testify to the grace, the keen wit, and the intellectual commitment of Professor Ronell and ask that she be accorded the dignity rightly deserved by someone of her international standing and reputation. If she were to be terminated or relieved of her duties, the injustice would be widely recognized and opposed."

[quote]We may put to one side that Professor Ronell's "grace," "keen wit" and "intellectual commitment" are irrelevant in a Title IX proceeding. What is truly shocking is the idea that she is entitled to proceedings that treat her with "the dignity rightly deserved by someone of her international standing and reputation." Apparently in the view of these "theory" illuminati dignity in Title IX proceedings is to be doled out according to one's "international standing and reputation." So while Professor Ronell "deserves a fair hearing, one that expresses respect, dignity, and human solicitude," other "lesser" accused can be subject, without international outcry, to whatever star chamber proceedings the university wants. Moreover, only one outcome of the process is acceptable, regardless of the findings: acquittal. Any other result "would be widely recognized and opposed," I guess because grace, wit and intellectual commitment are a defense against sexual misconduct and harassment.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27June 30, 2018 5:33 PM

hmmmm

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28June 30, 2018 6:09 PM

[quote]you’re wrong, we [bold]just[/bold] want equality. But given that we’ve been wronged since the beginning of time by men, [bold]I think we’re entitled to revenge as well[/bold]. —woman

You’d HAVE to be, wouldn’t you, to make such an idiotic statement.

by Anonymousreply 29June 30, 2018 7:00 PM

r28 too vague, and on Twitter (aka Attention Whore Central). There might be a curl of smoke, but without actually being around NYU, it's impossible to tell the politics, i.e. a partisan group who didn't like her manner/behaviour, from the actual facts.

And the gender of either party is irrelevant viz. the investigation. There are specific guidelines in a Title IX accusation.

by Anonymousreply 30June 30, 2018 7:54 PM

I am a (female) feminist, but I agree that the feminists in this story are highly hypocritical, and they are damaging feminism.

Why did they get involved by sending this letter? Don't they believe in due process? Were they hoping to impact the outcome? Not good.

by Anonymousreply 31June 30, 2018 8:21 PM

Where can we go to sign the letter supporting her? OP left that out [bold]: (

by Anonymousreply 32June 30, 2018 8:28 PM

r31 seriously, in this day and age, and after what happened to Steven Galloway in BC, they are probably putting this out there to make sure she doesn't get immediately fired before any due process occurs.

by Anonymousreply 33June 30, 2018 10:43 PM

I find the current infantilization of young people, mostly women but now it appears men as well, absolutely bizarre. You don't see anything like it in much of Europe. There is a generation of young people who appear to believe that there is no greater tragedy than a sloppy,regretful screw or a bad date. Do any of these individuals pick up newspapers or read a history book?

by Anonymousreply 34July 1, 2018 1:02 PM

It would be nice if people in academic circles could keep it professional and not feel the need to get codependently involved, exploit each other for cheap labor and favors, fuck, get drunk/high with their students and coworkers.

It's like they think they're in the fashion industry or something.

by Anonymousreply 35July 1, 2018 2:57 PM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 36July 1, 2018 5:26 PM

She used to date Pierre Alferi, the late Derrida’s eldest - and estranged- son.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37July 2, 2018 1:35 AM

It's definitely trippy. It reminds me of when feminists backed Bill Clinton over his accusers/victims of sexual assault and NOW endorsed his second term candidacy with pending sexual harassment litigation. People are nuts.

by Anonymousreply 38July 2, 2018 1:44 AM

Festive bow:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39July 2, 2018 1:44 AM

[quote]I always suspected that feminists were using #MeToo, not as a vehicle for sexual justice, but as a weapon in the war of the sexes.

The term feminism in itself is used as a weapon.

by Anonymousreply 40July 2, 2018 1:46 AM

no one has detailed what her alleged "offense" is/was.

by Anonymousreply 41July 2, 2018 1:54 AM

She threatened to fail him if he didn’t provide oral favors on demand...

by Anonymousreply 42July 3, 2018 5:21 PM

Do all academic types all look like weird, ugly caricatures?

by Anonymousreply 43July 3, 2018 5:23 PM

I did a double take when I saw that picture. That’s Avital Ronell. She a literary theorist and actually one of the more interesting scholars of the Derrida school. She wrote some intriguing essays on Desert Storm when that was going on, they’re collected in her book Finitude’s Score. Anyway, this isn’t a comment about the allegations, just about her. Too bad.

by Anonymousreply 44July 3, 2018 7:24 PM

r44 too bad for what? No one knows anything yet.

She looks loopy as fuck, but in a "fucking weird" way, not hand on your crotch way.

by Anonymousreply 45July 3, 2018 10:37 PM

Nothing more loopy than an aged cougar

by Anonymousreply 46July 3, 2018 10:40 PM

Is there a picture of the student?

by Anonymousreply 47July 3, 2018 10:41 PM

A supporter explains signing the letter.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48July 4, 2018 12:00 AM

Both sides! BOTH SIDES!!!

by Anonymousreply 49July 4, 2018 12:27 AM

[quote]Both sides! BOTH SIDES!!!

Wasn’t that what she was saying when he sent her pics?

by Anonymousreply 50July 4, 2018 12:30 AM

[quote] Is there a picture of the student?

See R20.

by Anonymousreply 51July 4, 2018 1:05 AM

Hypocrites

by Anonymousreply 52July 4, 2018 5:01 AM

Hypocrite lecteur - mon semblable - mon frère!

by Anonymousreply 53July 4, 2018 1:34 PM

Look, it's straight Anthony Rapp.

by Anonymousreply 54July 4, 2018 1:41 PM

Perhaps Mrs. Trump can help a fellow Slovenian and get Slavoj a makeover. He needs some TLC.

by Anonymousreply 55July 5, 2018 10:04 PM

After their audience with Derrida's son, they had explosive sex that did not end well. Someone MUST PRINT the lurid details of this fateful idyll à Paris.

by Anonymousreply 56July 5, 2018 10:13 PM

R48 thanks.

love this hissy paragraph:

Since I know Avital personally, I must add another reason for my sympathy with her (which did not affect in any way my decision to sign the letter). In her dealing with colleagues and friends, Avital definitely is a type of her own: acerbic, ironic, shifting from funny remarks to precise perceptions of an injustice, mocking others in a friendly way… In short, she is a walking provocation for a stiff Politically Correct inhabitant of our academia, a ticking bomb just waiting to explode. A person with minimal sensitivity can, of course, immediately discern Avital’s affected surface as the form of intense vulnerability and compassion. But in today’s academia persons with sensitivity are more and more rare. Avital’s “eccentricities” are all on the surface; there is nothing sleazy hidden beneath her affected behaviour, in contrast to quite a few professors that I know who obey all the Politically Correct rules while merrily screwing students or playing obscene power games with all the dirty moves such games involve.

by Anonymousreply 57July 5, 2018 10:17 PM

Im thinking after reading a little about it he's an alt right cunt trying to prove a point.

by Anonymousreply 58July 5, 2018 10:18 PM

Let me guess. Most (if not all) of these "feminists" are dykes pissed that a penised person is complaining about some ugly bitch of a professor.

by Anonymousreply 59July 5, 2018 10:20 PM

[quote]In short, she is a walking provocation for a stiff Politically Correct inhabitant of our academia

Isn’t that what got her in trouble to begin with? Let’s not discuss the student’s stiffness.

by Anonymousreply 60July 5, 2018 10:23 PM

Ugly bitch looks like she could use a good home ground pounding, if you get my drift.

by Anonymousreply 61July 5, 2018 10:26 PM

Right, because all a woman needs is the "magic" of dick, R61. Face it, even straight women are mostly repulsed by those things.

by Anonymousreply 62July 5, 2018 10:34 PM

Derrida's Protogé: Destruction of a Deconstructivist

This talk, in English, will be followed by a dînatoire for our Ideological Circle Members, at the Hadid-Pavillon (Dreiländergarten) - Weil am Rhein.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63July 5, 2018 10:38 PM

Annie Potts could have played her in the movie if this happened 20 years ago.

by Anonymousreply 64July 5, 2018 11:09 PM

When Alan Dershowitz was outed as being deeply involved in Jeffrey Epstein's child sexual exploitation, some 25-30 fellow Jews on the Harvard Law School faculty signed a similar letter praising his "high character".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65July 6, 2018 12:06 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!