Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Can you sometimes burn books?

True Story: I was moving, and have always had a large collection of books around, no matter where I've lived, ever since I was little.

But not all the books I have are necessarily good books; I read most everything and get them from everywhere. I'll even take home and read books people leave on a train, or wherever.

For this move, I had already boxed up many books, and carted other boxes of those I didn't want any more to the thrift shop. BUT I WAS TIRED. Just how many more trips was I supposed to make? And this was just the prep work: I still had the move itself ahead, with everything I was keeping!

I started putting junky books on the living room fire. Books there was no shortage of in this world...like an only so-so biography on Natalie Wood. My friend dropped by for dinner and was [italic]appalled.[/italic] She said her parents (who were both authors) would have been so disappointed in me. I thought, "Wouldn't they be more disappointed I owned bad biographies on Natalie Wood?"

I think it's bad to burn books symbolically, or as an attempt to erase a title's existence. But what if you're simply trying to clear out a space on a deadline? Can't you privately incenerate some castoffs just to keep things moving?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7June 29, 2018 5:22 AM

[quote] I think it's bad to burn books symbolically, or as an attempt to erase a title's existence.

Get real, grandpa.

The "book burning" of today is shutting down threads, deleting controversial Youtube videos, and shadow banning Twitter users.

Who is doing this today?

by Anonymousreply 1June 29, 2018 3:49 AM

It's fine if you're cold.

by Anonymousreply 2June 29, 2018 3:56 AM

OP, you have too much time on your hands.

by Anonymousreply 3June 29, 2018 4:10 AM

I wouldn't let it worry or bother you OP, although I think I can appreciate your point of view. Why not try giving some of them at least to Goodwill or the Salvation Army? I would also contact hospitals about whether they can use any books or else nursing homes, perhaps. If there are any used bookstores near you maybe a donation there as well. Libraries also take old books sometimes for their sales. I think if you need to dispose of them there are other options aside from burning them. If you have to dispose of them and your community has curbside recycling I would just put them in the recycle bin as books can be recycled, they are usually just paper, after all.

by Anonymousreply 4June 29, 2018 4:16 AM

R4 I did donate several boxes of discarded books to the thrift shop, but after lugging a few trips down the road, loading and unloading them got tiring...boxes of books are HEAVY. That's when I lost it and started burning the discards.

I got into a time crunch and was like, "These aren't good books, anyway. I just want them OUT." Still, burning them felt taboo.

Though simply putting them in the recycling might be another option, if I'm in that position again! Thanks.

by Anonymousreply 5June 29, 2018 5:01 AM

Last time I moved I hit upon the easiest way to carry lots of books: don't put them in boxes, put them in paper bags with handles such as the ones they give you at Trader Joe's. Less bulky, way easier to carry than a box of books, and you don't even have to take as much care in putting them in there because they won't slide around. So OP, bag them up and throw them in the car and take them to a donation center of your choice.

by Anonymousreply 6June 29, 2018 5:19 AM

I will file this away under "useful tips".

Thanks

by Anonymousreply 7June 29, 2018 5:22 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!