Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Bandstand: The Musical on Screen

Saw this in the theaters tonight. Something about a Broadway show on screen didn't really connect. Maybe something that works on stage doesn't translate to the screen. Everything just seems so silly and boring. My nephew wanted to walk out and go see a real movie like Jurassic World and I almost agreed but I'm glad we stayed. I ended up really enjoying it. Be sure to stay for an after credits secret scene.

Did anyone see it? What did you think? What did you think of Corey Cot's hairy chest? Also, I didn't understand the ending. Did they win the contest or not? It all of a sudden jumped to a year later in a movie theater and not sure what happened.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13June 29, 2018 3:00 AM

I posted about it in the theater thread. But to address your question -- no, they didn't win the contest. The band from Chicago (the one that the trumpet player dissed in the preceding scene) was the winner, and had their music featured in the movie the gang had just been watching.

(Side note: I was in the audience for one of the final Broadway performances and had a front-row seat, so i could practically reach out and touch Corey's fabulous chest hair.)

Anyway, I wish I'd been able to see the post-credits extras, but the movie theater I went do did a MASSIVE screw-up in their presentation of this film. First, it was supposed to start at 7PM, but as of 7:10, the four of us who were in attendance (in a HUGE auditorium) were still sitting in a dark theater with nothing on the screen. Finally, I went out and contacted an employee to advise him of the problem. It took them about ten more minutes (and they gave us free passes for a future show), but they finally got the picture working -- but then no sound. And they started the video about 15 minutes in. Then they rewound to the beginning, but kept fast-forwarding and reversing (I guess trying to get to the start of the actual show) but in doing so, they eliminated more than half of the cast introductions and who knows what else? But of course they left in part of the commercials for "Come From Away" and "Spongebob."

Anyway, we eventually got to see the whole show, but about five minutes into the post-show behind the scenes extras, they cut off and started showing the pre-show ads for the next movie. ("Hi, I'm Maria Menounos!") I'm going to do a written complain to both AMC and Fathom. If I'm paying $20 for a ticket, I think I have a right to expect more than what I got.

by Anonymousreply 1June 26, 2018 4:39 PM

This show is an OBERACKER and BLANKENBUEHLER show.

by Anonymousreply 2June 26, 2018 4:58 PM

r2 What am I -- chopped liver?

by Anonymousreply 3June 26, 2018 5:19 PM

One of the few ORIGINAL musicals (i.e., not from a book, a play, a movie, or a TV show) we've seen recently.

by Anonymousreply 4June 26, 2018 5:20 PM

R2, so what? Is that supposed to mean anything?

by Anonymousreply 5June 26, 2018 11:12 PM

Thursday is the last day you can see this. I highly recommend it.

by Anonymousreply 6June 26, 2018 11:13 PM

Does anyone think something like BroadwayHD will pick this up for streaming on their pay site?

by Anonymousreply 7June 28, 2018 5:21 PM

I saw Bandstand when it was performed at the Paper Mill Playhouse in NJ (about a year or so before it hit Broadway).

My friend & I were so underwhelmed, we walked out during the intermission.

by Anonymousreply 8June 28, 2018 5:27 PM

Trans population underrepresented...

by Anonymousreply 9June 28, 2018 5:30 PM

A period show in which the creators really did not understand the period.

by Anonymousreply 10June 28, 2018 6:12 PM

R8, it has been reworked completely from the Paper Mill. It even went through a name change from The Bandstand to just Bandstand.

by Anonymousreply 11June 29, 2018 12:56 AM

The should've left it as "The Bandstand." I'll bet some people go into "Bandstand" thinking it's about Dick Clark.

by Anonymousreply 12June 29, 2018 2:48 AM

I was there on opening night on Broadway. I know the producers and other people involved. I had to fake my enthusiasm to be polite. Did anyone else but me wonder why they had new wave/punk music in the 40's. The final competition number was very anachronistic.

by Anonymousreply 13June 29, 2018 3:00 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!