Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Smashing Pumpkins

I love Smashing Pumpkins, and Siamese Dream is one of my all-time favorite albums.

I liked them up until Adore, and then started to lose interest.

Were you a fan of Smashing Pumpkins in the 90s? What do you think of them now?

by Anonymousreply 189September 15, 2018 5:28 AM

Now Billy is this weird, conservative wrestling fanatic.

by Anonymousreply 1June 21, 2018 5:52 AM

Loved Adore and all it's goth/eletctro glory - very underrated album imo, Machina was where they lost me.

by Anonymousreply 2June 21, 2018 5:57 AM

They could do no wrong when they released Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness. It was a big bloated, stupidly titled, sprawling album, but it worked.

by Anonymousreply 3June 21, 2018 6:01 AM

I used to love them and I even loved Adore. Now they seem tragic. Billy Corgan always was a crazy asshole but it just seems to have gotten worse. And doesn't half the band have drug problems? Also the thing he did to Darcy with not including her in the recent tour seems cruel. She was a big part of the band during their successful years. Even though he's an asshole I'm sure it means a lot to her.

by Anonymousreply 4June 21, 2018 6:03 AM

I agree with r2 that Adore was underrated. That became my favourite album of theirs.

by Anonymousreply 5June 21, 2018 6:05 AM

D'arcy said that Billy just wanted her to come out for a few songs. I think that sounds much better been playing the whole show, but I'm sure he was screwing her with a lot less pay and she said no.

by Anonymousreply 6June 21, 2018 6:05 AM

Billy playing Daydream

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7June 21, 2018 6:08 AM

I liked all their albums until Machina. After Machina they lost me, they lost a lot of their original magic when Billy kicked everyone out of the band. I didn’t mind Adore when Jimmy was replaced by the drum machine or Machina when Darcy was replaced by Melissa Auf Der Maur (who is more talented imo), but my favorite album remains Simease Dream with Gish a close second.

by Anonymousreply 8June 21, 2018 6:49 AM

Darcy started hanging with Mickey Rourke, fucked up her lips, started smoking crack, lost her mind and moved back to Michigan.

by Anonymousreply 9June 21, 2018 6:52 AM

It is interesting that Billy turned out so many top 10 hits, and then obviously lost his touch with Adore and never had another hit single.

by Anonymousreply 10June 21, 2018 7:26 AM

R10 “Ava Adore” from Adore was a top 10 hit on the mainstream alternative chart. I’m pretty sure “perfect” was also a hit, maybe not ten. Machina produced the hit “stand inside your Love” also they had a hit song “eye” in 1997 from the “ Lost Highway” soundtrack. I’m not sure about their hits since the 2000s though. Zwan $ Billy’s solo album were very lackluster imo.

by Anonymousreply 11June 21, 2018 7:31 AM

He’s a raging deplorable now. Screw his nails on a chalkboard voice and embryonic fetus face.

by Anonymousreply 12June 21, 2018 7:32 AM

Also “the everlasting gaze” from Machina was a top ten hit. I forgot how big they still were in the late 90s before they broke up (and years later reformed with only Billy, in name only) ... really the height of their fame was between 1993 -1998. Simease Dream, Mellon Collie (of course) & Adore.

by Anonymousreply 13June 21, 2018 7:35 AM

Billy posted a lot about his upcoming tour, and wanting people to buy tickets. I haven't been to a concert in a while so I checked out what tickets were available. Tickets in the first few sections were over $600!

by Anonymousreply 14June 21, 2018 7:47 AM

Ava Adore was the only video that got much airplay. Perfect wasn't played much at all. I don't think I ever saw a video from Machina.

by Anonymousreply 15June 21, 2018 7:49 AM

I always wonder how someone like Billy or Madonna can have hit single after hit single, top 10 album after top 10 album, and then completely lose their touch.

by Anonymousreply 16June 21, 2018 7:50 AM

R15 both “stand inside your Love” and “the everlasting gaze” from Machina reached 2 & 4 respectively on the top alternative songs chart & the videos were both in heavy rotation on MTV that year, I clearly remember. It wasn’t as big of an album as their last three but still sold.

by Anonymousreply 17June 21, 2018 8:01 AM

R15 I looked it up, apparently I was wrong and the album only went gold, those two songs were still minor hits though. In fact all their albums have gone Gold since Adore, and even Adore sold in disappointing numbers. It seems like only Simease Dream & Mellon Collue we’re big commercial hits.

by Anonymousreply 18June 21, 2018 8:09 AM

Corgan is a homophobic cunt.

by Anonymousreply 19June 21, 2018 2:27 PM

"Perfect" is on the September 1998 Gap In-Store Playlist:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20June 21, 2018 2:29 PM

Teenage me loved them.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21June 21, 2018 2:33 PM

"Come With Me" by Zwan is on the April 2003 Gap In-Store Playlist:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22June 21, 2018 2:33 PM

The Mellon Collie album is still so good, I always loved this song.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23June 21, 2018 2:36 PM

He's a bald slob from the Midwest. A complete creep. Loved cuckholding Kurt cobain. Enabler of pig Courtney love. All he cares about is money and lives Alex jones enough to go on his show

by Anonymousreply 24June 21, 2018 2:37 PM

He started releasing free tracks in 2010 as part of what was your be a multiyesr project, (Teargarden by Kaliedyscope) but then folded and released Oceania and one other in the usual way.

by Anonymousreply 25June 21, 2018 2:45 PM

Loved them... Made the mistake if googling " what happened to Smashing Pumpkins? " and now I'm sad.

by Anonymousreply 26June 21, 2018 2:45 PM

Siamese Dream was the very first CD I bought, after I switched over from cassettes. Yes, I realize I was late to the party.

by Anonymousreply 27June 21, 2018 2:48 PM

The other album was Monument to an Elegy

by Anonymousreply 28June 21, 2018 3:10 PM

Never liked them. I can't stand Billy Corgan's whiny voice.

by Anonymousreply 29June 21, 2018 3:13 PM

It took a Stevie Nicks cover to get them international acclaim in 1994.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30June 21, 2018 3:16 PM

After Kurt, Billy was the second best songwriter of his generation. But his voice was SO grating. I wish he'd write all the songs, but let someone else sing. That said, 1979 is alt pop perfection.

by Anonymousreply 31June 21, 2018 3:25 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32June 21, 2018 3:32 PM

Still love SP and love Billy despite the wrestling. He raises a lot of $$ for PAWS Chicago, the largest no-kill shelter there and still lives on the North Shore.

Maybe it's just me but he seems to have mellowed since becoming a father.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33June 21, 2018 3:38 PM

They were my favorite band growing up, I loved them so damn much. They broke my heart when they split up and I couldn't get myself to listen to the new band for a long time. I can't say I really liked any new song since the reformation in 2005. I don't know if it's the change in style or if I'm just biaised. Adore is my favorite, it's heart breakingly beautiful. For Martha gets me every time. Any of you really loved some post 2005 songs?

by Anonymousreply 34June 21, 2018 3:55 PM

Who?

by Anonymousreply 35June 21, 2018 3:59 PM

Liked a few songs here and there. Never a fan, though it seemed everyone else was obsessed with Gish. I couldn't get the Corgan-worship. But like r31, I think "1979" is a pop masterpiece.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36June 21, 2018 4:39 PM

There was some great material on the first 3 records. I appreciate that he tried to somewhat re-invent the sound with following albums. Unfortunately, they just were not very good. I recently saw their appearance on Jimmy Fallon. It was pretty terrible. It sounded like a poor attempt to revisit their early work. Oh, and he is a total ego maniac and asshole.

by Anonymousreply 37June 21, 2018 4:46 PM

Gish, Siamese Dream and Melon Collie are all stone cold classics. But there's absolutely no doubt that Billy is an evil prick.

by Anonymousreply 38June 21, 2018 5:02 PM

Loved them when I was a high schooler in the 90s but, like most things I obsessed over back then, I grew out of it. I can still appreciate Siamese Dream, Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness, Gish, and a handful of singles and B-sides.

by Anonymousreply 39June 21, 2018 5:08 PM

I remember when Siamese Dream came out, I wasn't sure if Billy would be able to sing like that live. I was impressed that he was able to tour for years, and not completely blow out his vocal cords.

by Anonymousreply 40June 21, 2018 5:23 PM

Billy ruined the Pumpkins with his own ego. I love them and their old stuff but I won't listen to anything after Machina II

by Anonymousreply 41June 21, 2018 5:25 PM

Adore is so underrated.

by Anonymousreply 42June 21, 2018 5:25 PM

Billy is so hard to root for. He frequently and loudly complains that fans hit the exits in droves after the band plays “1979.” He hates those fans but apparently doesn’t hate their money.

I stopped keeping up with them after Machina but I wouldn’t count him out yet. He’s a talented guy.

I met James and Darcy in the Spring of 1994 just before the band began the Lollapalooza tour. I presented myself as a fan but I wasn’t obnoxious or rude. James immediately dismissed me but Darcy was very sweet and friendly.

I have no interest in seeing the current tour (is it selling) but I wish them well. The kids should be exposed to rock instead of Imagine Dragons and other current crap.

by Anonymousreply 43June 21, 2018 5:43 PM

I never understood why they added "the" to the band's name three albums in.

by Anonymousreply 44June 21, 2018 5:56 PM

I liked Smash Mouth

by Anonymousreply 45June 21, 2018 6:03 PM

always hated them--not to say they weren't talented, but Billy Corgan was/is awful.

by Anonymousreply 46June 21, 2018 6:29 PM

R43 that’s nice. D’arcy was always my favorite member (yes I know that Billy played a lot of the bass for her in the studio while recording Gish & Siamese Dream) she was one of my first lesbian crushes. Her,Shirley Manson from Garbage, & Courtney Love were my alt-rock teenage eye-candy. I always thought she got a bad rap because of her drug use. I’m sure today she’s just some eccentric farm girl & Billy didn’t give her a real chance to be back in the reunion. He fucked up because it’s not a reunion without D’arcy.

by Anonymousreply 47June 21, 2018 8:14 PM

I miss D'arcy too... It would have been so nice to see her onstage again.

by Anonymousreply 48June 21, 2018 8:26 PM

William doing a cover of "Wrecking Ball".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49June 21, 2018 10:43 PM

I loved The Pumpkins, but Billy turned out to be such an ass. The band was on Howard Stern last week. It was so obvious the band hates Billy and this is just a money grab. After they left the studio callers were placing bets as to how long the tour would actually last.

by Anonymousreply 50June 21, 2018 10:50 PM

No D’Arcy, no Smash.

by Anonymousreply 51June 21, 2018 11:11 PM

"Luna" is my favourite song of theirs.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52June 21, 2018 11:16 PM

I like em loud and glammy

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53June 21, 2018 11:54 PM

I'm not sure who the market is for the re-release versions of Aeroplane Flies High and Mellon Collie costing more than $100. It's too much for a new casual fan, and material an older fan would probably already have.

by Anonymousreply 54June 22, 2018 2:26 AM

I fucking hate the voice! crap!

by Anonymousreply 55June 22, 2018 2:53 AM

He's good friends with Courtney Love that should tell you all you need to know about him.

by Anonymousreply 56June 22, 2018 3:19 AM

Billy always creeped me out, and he's a dick, but you can't deny he's got talent. The first albums were amazing.

by Anonymousreply 57June 22, 2018 9:21 AM

Set The Ray To Jerry anyone?... that was a standout track from TAFH for me.

by Anonymousreply 58June 22, 2018 10:33 AM

I had a love for them as a teen in the late 90s. I cannot listen to a whole album by them and haven't for years. And didn't they do some weird box set, and single release at random right after the double album?

by Anonymousreply 59June 22, 2018 12:40 PM

I was all over Aeroplane Flies High the day it came out. If you liked those singles, the deluxe edition has a lot of different versions of those extra songs and B-sides

by Anonymousreply 60June 22, 2018 7:58 PM

[quote]“I’m a free-market libertarian capitalist,” he said, adding that he had not voted since 1992, when he cast a ballot for Bill Clinton. “I’m not anti-anything except establishment. I find institutions and systems suspicious.” Still, he referred obliquely to the “culture war,” “fake news,” “globalists,” “Maoists,” “purity tests,” “left-leaning groupthink,” “protected minority groups,” “mass hypnosis,” “social justice warriors” and other terms used in some conservative circles to dismiss leftist identity politics. And he defied any opportunity to coddle conflicted fans. “I’m not going to be defined by other people’s version of the shadow world,” Mr. Corgan said. “I’m not going to sit here and hold myself up as Mr. Pure, nor have I ever. I’m not a virtue-signaler. I have no agenda. I’m not a politician.”

Christ, he really is a king-sized douchebag.

I liked Gish and a few other things after, but I was a little too old to be a huge fan. I've noticed that most really big SP fans (like NIN fans) got into them as teenagers.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61June 22, 2018 8:10 PM

A lot of good songs on Siamese Dream were never big hits.

by Anonymousreply 62June 23, 2018 2:09 AM

I love the song "Rocket" it's probably my favorite alt-rock hit from the early 90s. It could be about suicide but I like to think of it as a coming out/gay liberation anthem. Regardless, it rocks.

Love/

Bleed in your own light/

Dream of your own life/

I miss me/

I miss everything I'll never be/

And on, and on/

I torch my soul to show the world that I am pure/

Deep inside my heart/

No more lies/

A crown of horns/

An image formed deformed/

The mark I've borne/

A mark of scorn to you/

Consume my love, devour my hate/

Only powers my escape/

The moon is out the stars invite/

I think I'll leave tonight/

Soon I'll find myself alone/

To relax and fade away/

Do you know what's coming down/

Do you know I couldn't stay free?/

I shall be free.....

by Anonymousreply 63June 23, 2018 2:42 AM

What's up with BIlly Corgan and Courtney Love's constant fighting and becoming friends again?

by Anonymousreply 64June 23, 2018 3:52 AM

Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness put music on the radio that sounded like nothing else. There were no top 10 songs like Tonight Tonight, Muzzle, 33 and 1979.

by Anonymousreply 65June 23, 2018 6:58 AM

Darcy was cooler than cool. I'm surprised she ended up flying off the rails, and never coming back.

by Anonymousreply 66June 23, 2018 7:09 AM

Is anyone going to see them on their tour this year? I can't justify giving Billy any more of my money.

by Anonymousreply 67June 23, 2018 6:36 PM

I didn't like Melissa Aufdemar when she replaced Kristen Pfaff in Hole and definitely not when she replaced D'arcy.

by Anonymousreply 68June 23, 2018 10:03 PM

Courtney cheated on Billy with Kurt.

by Anonymousreply 69June 24, 2018 3:12 AM

R65: Dumb, Lithium, Come As You Are, Drain You, Heart Shaped Box, Teenspirit, Breed, All Apologies sort of kick the ass of anything Corgan wrote. I like SP. But they, along with Pearl Jam, were always second to Nirvana.

by Anonymousreply 70June 24, 2018 5:21 AM

I like them but find the bloated Alex Jones Conspiracy obsessed Corgan annoying now.

by Anonymousreply 71June 24, 2018 5:26 AM

A little Nirvana goes a long way. Musically Smashing Pumpkins and Nirvana are very different.

by Anonymousreply 72June 24, 2018 5:34 AM

I hqd the Nirvana box set, but never listened to it. It's depressing and the songs sound the same.

by Anonymousreply 73June 24, 2018 10:13 PM

R70 why are you comparing Nirvana & SP, both have a completely different sound, they just started out ;or came of age) during the same era. Nirvana has more of a meat puppets/punk rock/pixies sound to them while SP sounded more Dream-pop/husker du/my bloody valentine. Completely different writing style/lyrical Content as well.

by Anonymousreply 74June 24, 2018 11:00 PM

Pearl Jam also had a completely different sound to either of those bands - far more classic rock inspired than punk.

SP wasn’t my favorite band at the time and I found Billy really difficult to look at, his face made me uncomfortable. But I find myself adding so many of their old songs to my shuffle each day. Had no idea he turned into a libertarian but right now that does seem like a more anti establishment rebellious move and that’s what he’s always wanted to project himself as, even if it’s not true.

by Anonymousreply 75June 24, 2018 11:39 PM

R75 I think Pearl Jam was my favorite of the three. TEN was such a great album. All three bands had some classic albums. What about Alice In Chains, STP, & soundgarden? All great bands who had some classic albums as well. I think all of those bands were my favorites back in high school.

by Anonymousreply 76June 25, 2018 12:19 AM

R76 Ten is definitely a classic album. When “Jeremy” came out it was groundbreaking in a way people who didn’t live through that time as teenagers can’t understand. And “Black” is still one of the best melancholy songs to listen to. Eddie went through a period where people called him a poser and a fake but he has a quality in voice and delivery that always seemed so authentic to me.

I loved Alice In Chains too - Heaven Beside You holds up still as a great song. So many musicians from that time died too soon. Surprised at how long Courtney’s lasted considering what she’s put her body through.

by Anonymousreply 77June 25, 2018 12:53 AM

R77 I loved AIC s/t 1995 album (with “Grind” & “ Heaven beside you”) but “Dirt” was my all time favorite album by them, although they were all good (as well their 1994 ep & unplugged album as well). Pearl Jam my favorites were “ten” of course, “Vs.” & “Vitology” although after that they lost me a bit. And I love all the original Soundgarden albums (especially Superunknown). I was a grunge/alternative rock head in midddle school & high school.

And it IS strange that all these 80s/90s rock stars & 90s Seattle players are dead but Courtney lives on.

by Anonymousreply 78June 25, 2018 1:04 AM

Pearl Jam is another band that's hard to take in long doses.

My favorite song of theirs is "Elderly Woman Behind the Counter in a Small Town."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79June 25, 2018 1:19 AM

R79 that’s one of my favorites too, along with the previously mentioned “Black”.

It’s funny though, how we lump Smashing Pumpkins in with the grunge/Seattle sound of the era. I mean don’t get me wrong, they were “alternative/modern/college” rock of them same era, but everything got thrown in there together as “grunge” even though they were From Chicago.

by Anonymousreply 80June 25, 2018 1:33 AM

How did alternative rock in the 90s differ from indie rock in the 90s?

by Anonymousreply 81June 25, 2018 5:15 AM

D'arcy should have joined The Breeders or Luscious Jacksom.

by Anonymousreply 82June 25, 2018 10:36 PM

R81 —it didn’t really. “Indie” music was supposed to be solely on independent labels, & resigned to college radio stations. “Alternative “ music in the 90s (later “modern”rock format) became mainstream radio/mtv airfare. The latter split off in the late 90s & mainstream alternative rock became “modern” rock while the “alternative “ rock of the early 90s is now called “indie.” Go figure.

R82 I don’t think memebers of either band (both who have a very different style from SP) would put up with drug addicted/eccentric D’arcy. Speaking of which...I wonder what happened to luscious Jackson? They were on the Beastie Boys label & doing quite well for themselves...& suddenly nothing. I guess a separate post should be made about that...

by Anonymousreply 83June 25, 2018 11:09 PM

There was a radio station in LA in the 90s, Y107, that would consider any new music alternative. They would announce a new song with a gravely hipster voice, One time they said, "And now, 'Who will save your Soul' by Jewel."

by Anonymousreply 84June 25, 2018 11:14 PM

R84 I remember Y107, they were kind of the poor man’s KROQ. KROQ used to play excellent music in the late 80s-mid 90s when I started listening to it, but because of the post-grunge, third wave ska, by metal , alternative “lite” (semisonic, Harvey danger, third eye blind, new radicals,etc), Lilith Fair Girls (not the better ones like Tori, but Jewel, maradith Brooks, Paula Cole, Jewel, etc) the mid to late 90s saw a very bad time in “alternative rock” format on the radio. Totally correct that it started to get very watered-down & everything was thrown together. That’s when SP started to go downhill & their music became a shell of excellent albums like “Gish”

by Anonymousreply 85June 25, 2018 11:34 PM

That’s supposed to say Nu-metal

by Anonymousreply 86June 25, 2018 11:35 PM

Kelley Deal has been to rehab a couple times for heroin addiction, and Kim Deal had an alcohol and coke problem up until the early 2000s. D'arcy might have fit in with them back in those days.

by Anonymousreply 87June 26, 2018 5:44 AM

I think I wrote this on a different Pumpkins thread - Corgan is obsessed with his legacy, and doesn't feel he or Smashing Pumpkins are as revered as they should be. This always annoys me. You've had a better career than 99.9% of musicians in history. Just enjoy it and accept whatever reverence/legacy comes your way. Fuck. You were huge in your time. Don't get bent out shape because you're not going to be remembered as broadly or as fondly as the Beatles.

While I think he's crazy and don't usually agree with him, Corgan is delightfully bitter in talking about today's music and how much he thinks a lot of it sucks. He has a way musical putdowns.

by Anonymousreply 88June 26, 2018 6:02 AM

I actually like all their albums through Machina I, but agree about his voice. It fits the songs, and it didn't bother me personally so much, but I can see where a lot of people would be turned off. The Zwan album was very good. And, even Oceania was okay. Admittedly after Machina I, I didn't buy all the albums so some I don't know well at all.

by Anonymousreply 89June 26, 2018 6:07 AM

Do they hold up? IMO, classic SP holds up fairly well, though there's some songs I used to like that seem really average to me now.

by Anonymousreply 90June 26, 2018 6:08 AM

I still listen to Siamese Dream quite often & sometimes Adore & Gish. Million Collie was quite overrated, in my opinion. It was sold like it was Gen-x’s The Wall, but really a lot of the album was filler to me. It would have been better as a single album, since side one is the better of the two, & both sides, the good songs still hold up well & are classics. The good songs on that album are really good, for what they are, but not mind blowing by any means. Radiohead OK Computer, for example was a 90’s classic, Mellon Collie, not so much.

by Anonymousreply 91June 26, 2018 6:13 AM

I'm not comparing the two bands, but Nirvana was totally average.

by Anonymousreply 92June 26, 2018 6:15 AM

R92 nirvana does seem overrated all these years later, but that could be because they are so overused as a standard band from that era. 90’s alternative rock/grunge first thing most teens of today think of is Nirvana. Kind of like with Punk, you get these teenyboppers today who only know The Misfits or such.

It’s funny what has transcended the time sphere into the millennial lexicon. I mean, does any Gen Z Er today even listen to the Pumpkins? They were sooooo big circa 95, but does most of them even know who they are?

by Anonymousreply 93June 26, 2018 6:22 AM

I've work at middle and high schools and kids that age that are into music are very impressed by any 90s bands you've seen live..

by Anonymousreply 94June 26, 2018 8:56 PM

Smashing Pumpkins played the Tibetan Freedom Festival in San Francisco in 96. Beastie Boys, Foo Fighters, Rage Against the Machine Bjork also were there. Billy didn't like something about the order of the lineup, and came out and played distortion on his guitar the entire set.

by Anonymousreply 95June 27, 2018 5:33 AM

When I went to see the Red Hot Chili Peppers in Detroit in 1991, Pearl Jam and Smashing Pumpkins were the opening bands.

by Anonymousreply 96June 28, 2018 12:16 AM

If Transformer was released as a single, I think it would have done pretty well around the time of Bullet with Butterfly Wings.

by Anonymousreply 97June 28, 2018 5:38 AM

R97 I like the Aeroplane Flies High boxset. Some of the singles/B sides on it were very good, along with the B side album they put out in 1994( sorry the name of that album is escaping me at the moment). Too bad AFH is out of print now.

R96 that sounds like an awesome line up, I wish I had seen those three bands together back in their prime.

by Anonymousreply 98June 28, 2018 6:26 AM

Since Billy was basically a one-man band, like Prince re-recording all of the band members parts, he sure loses the hit-making touch when he releases music in other formations.

by Anonymousreply 99June 29, 2018 4:03 AM

Billy's new music sucks.

by Anonymousreply 100June 29, 2018 8:43 AM

They should have included D’arcy, it’s not Smashing Pumpkings without her. I’ve read the interview she gave recently and although she appears a bit crazy, I believe her and what she says about Billy Corgan’s god complex and asshole behavior.

by Anonymousreply 101June 29, 2018 1:37 PM

[quote] Out on tour with the Smashing Pumpkins Nature kids, they don't have no function...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 102June 29, 2018 1:57 PM

^ Billy was still fuming about that years later. I was def on the Pavement side there (and still am).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 103June 29, 2018 3:33 PM

Pavement and Stephen Malkmus are so pretentious. He wishes he could write one song that charted as high as Smashing Pumpkins.

by Anonymousreply 104June 29, 2018 4:47 PM

I don't understand the feud. Pavement writes a shity song about a band that's better than they are.

by Anonymousreply 105June 29, 2018 6:43 PM

There's no "feud." Pavement wrote a jokey line in a song, and 16 years later Corgan was still seething about it, because that's what he does (see his endless, childish feud with Courtney Love for more details). I doubt anyone in Pavement has been losing any sleep over it.

by Anonymousreply 106June 29, 2018 7:20 PM

How come Billy be a Trump supporter is that true? I read the D’arcy interview and she mentions that. Wtf Billy, I guess egomaniacas support other egomaniacs

by Anonymousreply 107June 29, 2018 7:54 PM

Well, he's also an Alex Jones fan, apparently. They tend to go hand-in-hand.

by Anonymousreply 108June 29, 2018 8:00 PM

Kurt Cobain used to refer to Billy as the Pear-shaped box.

by Anonymousreply 109June 30, 2018 3:24 AM

I like Pavement and Smashing Pumpkins. Maybe a small smidge of overlap, but generally pretty different in style.

by Anonymousreply 110June 30, 2018 4:40 AM

To quote Kim Gordon on billy Corgan:

"Courtney asked us for advice about her ‘secret affair’ with Billy Corgan. I thought, Ewwww, at even the mention of Billy Corgan, whom nobody liked because he was such a crybaby, and Smashing Pumpkins took themselves way too seriously and were in no way punk rock."

by Anonymousreply 111June 30, 2018 7:41 AM

Lol, R104, Range Life casually hits sublime heights that the Pumpkins could never manage in their entire oeuvre.

Corgan is a workmanlike songwriter whose prog-rock layers of pretentiousness were an effective disguise for his mediocre, derivative tunes. Christ, Taylor Swift is a wittier and more inventive songwriter than he is.

And Jimmy Chamberlain was the true talent in the Pumpkins.

by Anonymousreply 112June 30, 2018 12:18 PM

Range Life uses regular chords in standard progression.

1979 uses weird (but interesting) chords that come from odd places.

by Anonymousreply 113June 30, 2018 2:16 PM

R112 "sublime heights?" Are you joking? That song sucks.

by Anonymousreply 114June 30, 2018 4:06 PM

Kim Gordon and Stephen Malkmus are only mentioned when they're passively aggressively name-dropping other musicians. Pavement's one minor single, bird bath deep "Cut your Hair" was written about Evan Dando.

by Anonymousreply 115June 30, 2018 4:41 PM

They're apples & oranges really...Smashing Pumpkins came in on the grunge/indie wave but what they really were was a classic arena rock band in disguise with grandiose proggy tendencies, which was revealed definitively by the time of the 3rd album. Pavement were a smart-ass indie band who never aspired to be anything else, with occasional mild stonerish jam band tendencies. From that standpoint, in the mid-90s, Corgan's unabashed rock star pose looked pompous. Eventually all this was washed away by the rise of teenpop and boy bands in the late 90s, and then the demise of the record industry post-Napster.

by Anonymousreply 116June 30, 2018 4:42 PM

Don't Kim Gordon and Thurston Moore take Sonic Youth incredibly seriously? I found it odd that she'd call out SP for taking themselves "way too seriously." Maybe it's the music press that takes Sonic Youth incredibly seriously, not so much the members of the band.

by Anonymousreply 117June 30, 2018 5:07 PM

I was a fan in the late 90's early 2000, I still listen to their music up until the Adore album. After Adore I lost them. I'd rather remember them when they were at their top form than whatever crazy things Billy is saying/doing now. I met James Iha years ago and he was a really nice guy.

by Anonymousreply 118June 30, 2018 5:17 PM

The drumming is awesome but it's also how the drums sound on the records that is awesome. Great production work, Billy know what he's doing.

by Anonymousreply 119June 30, 2018 6:23 PM

I thought Kiin Gordon and Thurston Moore would stay together.

by Anonymousreply 120June 30, 2018 9:27 PM

Me too, R120, but he did the predictable rock star thing and left her for a young groupie who worshipped him.

by Anonymousreply 121June 30, 2018 11:23 PM

I never understood band members leaving, breaking up the band, Billy going solo, and then reuniting. How bad could it really be to just stay together and make millions?

by Anonymousreply 122July 1, 2018 4:39 AM

R122, did you read the interview D'arcy gave recently? Billy sounds genuinely insufferable. Probably the other band members swing between 'We need the money' to 'No amount of money is worth this'. Hence the constant break ups/reformations. And I assume the other Pumpkins aren't that well off, given that they presumably get no songwriting royalties.

BTW D'arcy says Billy is obsessed with money (hence his pretensions about being a 'libertarian') and tried to fuck the others out of an equal share of the tour money, which was one of the sticking points with her. She claims James Iha won't stand up to Billy at all.

The band members are still only in their 40s. If they have kids, they'll need to pay for college, and of course they could all live another 30-plus years, so it makes sense for them to swallow Billy's bullshit and cash in now while people will still pay to see them live.

No wonder Darcy is pissed off about being iced out of the tour, no matter how much she loathes Corgan. How has she been supporting herself? She claims her horse stud venture was successful, but who knows. She seems like a bit of a fantasist (as well as a drug addict).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 123July 1, 2018 11:14 AM

Darcy's lip injections look like wax candy lips.

by Anonymousreply 124July 2, 2018 12:36 AM

Billy writes all the songs and plays all the instruments on the albums. But the band members deserve an equal cut of the cash. Mmkay.

by Anonymousreply 125July 2, 2018 12:45 AM

They wanted an equal cut of the touring profits, R125.

by Anonymousreply 126July 2, 2018 1:46 AM

Yeah, it's about the money from touring, not royalites. Iha and D'Arcy aren't that stupid - they didn't write anything.

As much as I think Corigan is an ass, the fact is that he can make a go of touring as Smashing Pumpkins without the other original members and probably do okay. For that reason, he doesn't need to give them equal touring profits. The other members would not be successful without Corgan and couldn't even tour as SP to begin with. Sure, having all living original members will bring out the most fans, but, plenty of fans would still go see Corgan and whatever other musicians perform SP songs. That said, Corgan should at least make a decent offer for Iha and D'Arcy and being out as many fans as possible.

by Anonymousreply 127July 2, 2018 1:56 AM

Billy already has toured as Smashing Pumpkins with different band members. The whole idea was to tour with the original band members. For that reason, they should have all been paid more, if not equally it's the same reason The Supremes "Return To Love" tour fell apart.

by Anonymousreply 128July 2, 2018 3:02 AM

D'arcy has posted a lot of comments and responses at the end of the interview at R123 under the name Fey Wutt. She says that Jimmy Chamberlin OD'd and died and had to be revived twice on the same tour that Jonathan Melvoin died.

by Anonymousreply 129July 2, 2018 7:24 AM

Jimmy Chamberlin is an extraordinary drummer, crucial to the Pumpkins' sound, so its 's wonder Billy has been willing to forgive his constant druggie antics (altho pug I believe he was temporarily fired over Melvin's OD).

It's amazing that Chamberlin is still alive. Most of his peers with similar drug habits died in their 40s or earlier. He must have the luck and/or constitution of Keith Richards.

by Anonymousreply 130July 2, 2018 12:18 PM

*it's no wonder

by Anonymousreply 131July 2, 2018 12:18 PM

D'arcy was a strikingly beautiful young woman - all silver hair and long limbs. She looked sort of unreal, like a fairytale princess. James Iha was also very good looking, and being Asian-American, he stood out in the overwhelmingly white alternative rock scene. I believe Billy hired both of them primarily for their looks.

Which is not to say they aren't talented musicians. It's more an observation about Corgan being a calculating bastard right from the start. He knew with those two on board the Pumpkins' would have a much better stage presence and would garner attention in the music press. He needed the glamour they brought to the band. It makes it doubly infuriating that he is so keen to imply they were always replaceable, because he is no doubt aware that had the band been comprised of four chubby white guys like himself, they likely would never have been as big as they were.

by Anonymousreply 132July 2, 2018 1:05 PM

Yeah he looks like a weird elf or something.

by Anonymousreply 133July 2, 2018 1:48 PM

He looks like a cabbage patch doll

by Anonymousreply 134July 2, 2018 4:21 PM

Darcy also writes in the comment section that James Iha went to rehab four times.

by Anonymousreply 135July 2, 2018 5:57 PM

Kim Gordon is a fine one to talk about someone else's taste in men. Look who she wasted thirty years on. He has the greasiest skin and hair I've ever seen-- just gross!

by Anonymousreply 136July 2, 2018 6:09 PM

That woman who was their bassist in later years -- she's one horrible bitch who now lives in Hudson NY and walks around town as though she were the Queen of it All. Hated by the entire town. Doesn't care. Rude to everyone. Doesn't care.

But I can't remember her name...

by Anonymousreply 137July 2, 2018 8:19 PM

R137 Melissa Auf Der Maur. That is surprising-I met her once at a concert she did in the early 2000s and found her to be quite personable & friendly. Makes me wonder how musicians/actors can be posing for fans at autograph signings or concerts & be bitches in their home life

by Anonymousreply 138July 2, 2018 8:34 PM

Billy might have played all the instruments on the albims, but I saw them on the Gish tour when it was just the four of them. They sounded exactly like the album on stage.

by Anonymousreply 139July 2, 2018 9:03 PM

Sonic Youth played last during Lollapalooza right after Hole.

People would crowd the aisles filing out during Sonic Youth's first song.

Kim Gordon would say, "You can all leave now since the celebrity has left" referring to Courtney.

by Anonymousreply 140July 2, 2018 9:12 PM

That Lollapalooza tour was like Rosanna Arquette being eclipsed by Madonna in Desperately Seeking Susan. Sonic Youth technically had the best slot playing last, but everyone was staying for Courtney and Hole. It had to affect Kim's ego a little bit.

by Anonymousreply 141July 2, 2018 9:17 PM

Kim was pretty brutal about Courtney in her book. She produced the first Hole album and witnessed the start of the Cobain/Love affair, which she described as a train wreck in the making.

by Anonymousreply 142July 2, 2018 9:23 PM

Thanks R138

by Anonymousreply 143July 2, 2018 10:32 PM

James Iha and D'arcy definitely added a glam, new wave element to the band. They came out in the PC 90s, and D'arcy placed them in female friendly publications, while James would add a multicultural amgle that was very common in those days.

by Anonymousreply 144July 3, 2018 4:48 AM

No, R135, she writes that Jimmy Chamberlin wen to rehab four times. (Or as she puts it 'FOUR times!!!')

by Anonymousreply 145July 3, 2018 6:09 AM

R142, Kim Gordon did not produce Hole's first album.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 146July 3, 2018 6:29 AM

That's not Hole's first album

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 147July 3, 2018 6:39 AM

I don't understand how Darcy can't remember a song that she's credited with writing. She would get songwriting royalties for cowriting "Daughter" and even asks, "What's Daughter?"

by Anonymousreply 148July 3, 2018 6:51 AM

D'arcy should be on twitter. She responds to every comment and insult with just a few blunt words. instead of writing everything in the comment section of that article, she would gain a lot of followers and retweets if she put it on twitter.

by Anonymousreply 149July 3, 2018 7:36 AM

Considering what an aggro douchebag Billy has become, I'm surprised he hired a woman and an Asian man in his band to begin with.

by Anonymousreply 150July 3, 2018 5:59 PM

D’arcy was so pretty I don’t understand why she botched her face with the horrible plastic surgery, specially her lips. I believe the things she says about Billy and how he left her out of the reunion, and all the egomaniac things she says about him.

by Anonymousreply 151July 3, 2018 11:28 PM

R151 drugs. And hanging around too much with Mickey Rourke in the early 2000’s let Darcy to fuck Up her looks with plastic surgery, it’s a shame because she had a very ethereal, handsome look to her.

by Anonymousreply 152July 3, 2018 11:40 PM

They really looked the part when they were young.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 153July 3, 2018 11:43 PM

It's got to be hard for Billy to accept that he'll never have another hit song.

by Anonymousreply 154July 4, 2018 5:21 AM

As hard as she tried, Kim Gordon could never pull off that barret wearing, kinderwhore riot girl look.

by Anonymousreply 155July 4, 2018 5:24 AM

R155, what do you mean, 'as hard as she tried'? Kim Gordon never dressed like that.

by Anonymousreply 156July 4, 2018 6:01 AM

The only exception I can think of is the "Bull in the Heather" video, which was probably a conscious nod to Courtney Love, Kat Bjelland, etc. But for the most part it wasn't her thing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 157July 4, 2018 6:08 AM

R156 she didn't?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 158July 4, 2018 6:11 AM

close those legs, dear

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 159July 4, 2018 6:13 AM

R158/159, a minidress isn't kinderwhore.

THIS is kinderwhore.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 160July 4, 2018 12:59 PM

Courtney Love is a Playboy Playmate compared to Kim Gordon.

by Anonymousreply 161July 4, 2018 1:55 PM

r137 does she work at Walgreens now? I find that hilarious if you have any stories please share.

by Anonymousreply 162July 5, 2018 12:58 AM

Kim Gordon was as replaceable as Darcy and couldn't sing for shit.

by Anonymousreply 163July 5, 2018 3:39 PM

I'm glad I got to see them when they were good. I wouldn't waste the money seeing them now.

by Anonymousreply 164July 8, 2018 4:25 AM

Daydream demo

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 165July 8, 2018 6:19 AM

Billy was pissed about the lineup at the Tibetan Freedom Concert in San Francisco, and just played distortion his entire set.

by Anonymousreply 166July 17, 2018 5:32 AM

Screw the Tibetans, screw the fans, it's all about Billy! He sounds insufferable, even by rock star standards.

by Anonymousreply 167July 17, 2018 12:50 PM

It was weird because it was a daytime concert in Golden Gate park and all these Tibetan monks were in the audience hearing them for the first time.

by Anonymousreply 168July 17, 2018 10:12 PM

Jimmy ditched the drugs and up fitness. He's in super good shape and his arms are massive.

by Anonymousreply 169July 18, 2018 1:15 AM

Billy interviews D'arcy

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 170July 19, 2018 6:06 AM

Rubbish, aside from two or three songs. Band looked terrible as well.

Thank fucking God Oasis came along with definitely maybe and morning glory, washing everyone else away.

by Anonymousreply 171July 19, 2018 6:44 AM

R171 Only Noel or Liam Gallagher are delusional enough to think that

by Anonymousreply 172July 19, 2018 7:10 AM

R171 until the resounding thuds of Be Here Now and Standing on the Shoulders of Giants.

by Anonymousreply 173July 19, 2018 7:23 AM

"I want the pill he has. The pill that makes him so fucking important." -Kim Deal on Billy

by Anonymousreply 174July 19, 2018 7:25 AM

Who?? Why would anyone smash a pumpkin? Is this a prank?

by Anonymousreply 175July 19, 2018 7:26 AM

If you liked the band during Siamese Dream and Mellon Collie, this 2-part MTV Rockumentary captures them at an interesting time just before they imploded.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 176July 19, 2018 7:33 AM

Part 2

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 177July 19, 2018 7:37 AM

I loved them during the 90s, but have no interest in seeing them live now.

by Anonymousreply 178July 29, 2018 4:47 AM

If Carole leaves they'll lose all the chic young female viewers who tune in for style inspiration from her!

by Anonymousreply 179August 7, 2018 3:19 AM

I saw them play with RHCP and Pearl Jam back in 1991. I was a fan of all 3 bands' music, but SP were absolutely boring live, especially compared to the other bands. No attempt to engage the crowd whatsoever. Billy came off as a prick even then - they hadn't even released Siamese Dream yet. Can't imagine how insufferable he got once the band and his ego really blew up.

by Anonymousreply 180August 7, 2018 2:10 PM

Has anyone seen this latest tour? How was it?

by Anonymousreply 181August 11, 2018 3:28 AM

Billy can't sing or write good songs anymore.

by Anonymousreply 182August 25, 2018 3:39 AM

For their two shows in Chicago,first show was sold out. Second one only sold about 8000 tickets (out of 12,000 capacity). Top price was $99 for second show. Venue also gave the band a jersey with the number 18 (2018) and apparently Billy was upset and insulted it wasn't his infamous 0 that he always used to wear. He sounded douchey.

by Anonymousreply 183August 25, 2018 4:56 AM

I wonder what Billy thinks of Alex Jones' tranny porn

by Anonymousreply 184September 2, 2018 5:53 AM

Was Billy responsible for Kurt or was it all, Courtney? She is a worthless person. Many alcoholics are.

by Anonymousreply 185September 2, 2018 5:59 AM

Creamed Spinach

by Anonymousreply 186September 2, 2018 6:03 AM

I can picture him jerking off to tranny porn and wrestling around afterwards with Alex Jones

by Anonymousreply 187September 15, 2018 3:33 AM

I picture Billy sitting alone in the dark in a wooden chair rehashing the minute details of every grudge and personal slight that he’s ever ecmxperirnced.

by Anonymousreply 188September 15, 2018 3:56 AM

on a side note, what the fuck were they thinking when they chose that album cover for Machina?! That is just flat out god awful ugly.

by Anonymousreply 189September 15, 2018 5:28 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!