Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Actresses demand minimum wage for waiters; get dragged

Sixteen actresses, including Jane Fonda, Sarah Jessica Parker, Reese Witherspoon and Natalie Portman, are urging New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo to raise the wage paid to tipped workers.

The actresses invoked the #TimesUp hashtag and wrote that relying on tips forces many workers to endure widespread sexual harassment.

Others signing onto the letter include Lily Tomlin, Rashida Jones, Amy Poehler, America Ferrera, Jessica Chastain, Amber Tamblyn, Brie Larson, Debra Messing, Michelle Williams, Erika Alexander, Ashley Judd, and Sarah Silverman.

Sarah Jessica Parker, Reese Witherspoon, Natalie Portman and more than a dozen other A-listers were told to shove it by 500 restaurant workers in New York who signed an open letter to the actresses.

“You’ve been misled that we earn less than minimum wage and that we’re somehow helpless victims of sexual harassment,” the restaurants’ workers said in their letter, which was organized by Maggie Raczynski, an Outback Steakhouse bartender in Clifton Park, NY. “Thank you for your concern. But we don’t need your help and we’re not asking to be saved,” they wrote.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10June 22, 2018 3:51 PM

Why would anyone be offended that these actresses asked that tipped workers base pay be upped? As a bartender and wait staff, I made $2.10 plus tips. If it was a slow night, it very well could be below minimum wage. This “shove it” reply comes from an Outback Steakhouse bartender? When did Outback become a high end joint for tips? And bartenders and wait staff are harassed verbally, physically, and sexually all the damn time.

by Anonymousreply 1June 21, 2018 5:32 AM

What a bunch of assholes.

The letter-writers, not the actresses.

by Anonymousreply 2June 21, 2018 5:35 AM

Agree, R2. Did the idiots who wrote that they were decently paid check to make sure that each and every server in New York restaurants was also being well paid?

by Anonymousreply 3June 21, 2018 6:48 AM

R1 R2 R3 I bet some behind the scenes conservative group pushed these workers to respond to the Hollywood women.

I'd check Eagle Forum or some of the other right wing women's groups online who have actually said in the past that sexual harassment laws in the workplace need weakened or eliminated all together. I'm sure they have minimum wage workers who are by their own conservative values opposed to any government body raising the minimum wage instead of the employers.

I haven't heard too much about them since the metoo movement began so I wonder what their current positions are on the various subjects mentioned above.

by Anonymousreply 4June 21, 2018 7:31 PM

You can bet this response was coordinated with restaurant owners.

by Anonymousreply 5June 21, 2018 10:42 PM

bump

by Anonymousreply 6June 22, 2018 3:19 PM

I wonder how much these actresses tip.

by Anonymousreply 7June 22, 2018 3:31 PM

It would have been better if they got actresses who USED to wait tables. Then they would have credibility on the issue.

by Anonymousreply 8June 22, 2018 3:40 PM

And I STILL don't have any creme brulee!!!!

by Anonymousreply 9June 22, 2018 3:51 PM

God forbid poor people ever have anything nice! Those letter writers are full of shit. Why is the bartender interfering with the lives of the wait staff unduly?

by Anonymousreply 10June 22, 2018 3:51 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!