Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Obnoxious foodies or fuddy duddies: Could art criticism overtake cookery as a televised competition?

Cooking shows. I never liked them much because most people I know can cook better than me. Most peoples cookery impresses me. On the other hand my competitive spirit is brought out on the subject of art criticism. I hardly ever believe the would be cognoscenti since everyone claims to be that these days. Look at the crap that sells on Instagram and the lousy institutional art. I would love to be an art critic on a reality TV show.

by Anonymousreply 8June 21, 2018 12:04 PM

After nearly a century of art criticism while drunk, perhaps something to eat would improve the process.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1June 21, 2018 1:06 AM

Someone actually tried an art competition show in the model of "Top Chef" and "Project Runway", where they brought artists on and had them create art according to various challenge formats.

It died a quick death, and that was actual art! For every million people that have any interest in art, there's maybe one who has any interest in art criticism.

by Anonymousreply 2June 21, 2018 1:10 AM

"So You Think You Can Draw"

"America's Got Painting Talent!"

"Sculpting With the Stars"

You'd need one really cunty, bitter old judge to make it work.

by Anonymousreply 3June 21, 2018 1:20 AM

Yes there is not a lot of money in art criticism unless you call food criticism a sub-branch of art criticism.

by Anonymousreply 4June 21, 2018 1:20 AM

"Van Gogh? More like Van STOP! The only oils you should be allowed to work with are Wesson and Mazola!"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5June 21, 2018 1:24 AM

It’s not art criticism, but Portrait Artist of the Year in the UK, hosted by comic Frank Skinner and broadcaster Joan Bakewell (who inspired Harold Pinter’s Betrayal) is totally addictive. Groups of artists create a portrait of a sitter, and the winner of each round progresses through. The sitter is a celebrity and gets to take home their favourite portrait. The winner wins a £10000 commission from a British institution. The winner of Season 2 was a Gibraltan who painted a gorgeous portrait of Alan Cumming for the National Gallery Of Scotland.

It’s really funny because they all love painting men with craggy faces and are kind of dismayed when Sophie Turner or one of the Corr sisters show up.

There’s a Landscape Artist of the Year in which they paint National Trust locations. It doesn’t have the fun of the interaction with the portrait sitter but they let 50 members of the public come in to paint as wildcards.

by Anonymousreply 6June 21, 2018 1:45 AM

I'd vote (if viewers could vote) for the debonnaire critic from a humble family background and not the curmudgeon.

by Anonymousreply 7June 21, 2018 1:47 AM

No chance OP. What do you hold against fine food?

by Anonymousreply 8June 21, 2018 12:04 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!