Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

U.S. Catholic Sex Scandal

Former Archbishop.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54July 22, 2018 2:38 PM

Shocking!!!

by Anonymousreply 1June 21, 2018 12:42 AM

Mary!

by Anonymousreply 2June 21, 2018 1:02 AM

The old fuck is 87 years old, retired and living in a step up from a nursing home. What public ministerial duties could he have at this point? What does he care, he'll be dead before long anyway.

by Anonymousreply 3June 21, 2018 1:04 AM

A priest-friend told me that when McCarrick was a New Jersey bishop, he would invite seminarians to spend weekends at his house at the shore.

by Anonymousreply 4June 21, 2018 1:13 AM

Love his drag!

by Anonymousreply 5June 21, 2018 1:53 AM

He is a family friend of many years. He is a good man. Never knew him to be creepy at all. I am just floored. Floored does not cover it.

by Anonymousreply 6June 21, 2018 2:00 AM

Gay pedo!

by Anonymousreply 7June 21, 2018 2:44 AM

A catholic fucking children? Seems to be a theme with catholics......worst drag religion ever

by Anonymousreply 8June 21, 2018 2:47 AM

He proves once again ... "a stiff dick has no conscience."

by Anonymousreply 9June 21, 2018 7:04 PM

Apparently everyone -- his fellow priests, church administration, journalists -- knew he made a habit of taking young seminarians to bed. The New York Times killed a story about his active sexual life in 2012, presumably because it involved "consensual" adults and not child abuse. I think the editorial decision would be different in today's #metoo environment. I hope some of his of-age victims come forward now.

by Anonymousreply 10June 21, 2018 7:16 PM

Yikes. For a minute there I thought that was a picture of Chris Mathews doing his "I'm so Catholic, I went to Holy Cross, I love the Pope" shtick.

by Anonymousreply 11June 21, 2018 10:36 PM

And here in Pennsylvania, the state supreme court has just blocked the release of a report detailing sexual abuse by priests in numerous PA dioceses other than Philadelphia and Johnstown/Altoona (which had their own reports issued several years ago). The report is supposedly a block buster, with really sickening details of molestations and cover ups by bishops. No one knows who brought the suit and the court is refusing to give any information.

Just another day in the life of the Catholic Church: pay hush money and threaten people to keep quiet. Gangsta!

by Anonymousreply 12June 21, 2018 10:58 PM

Wasn't Cardinal Egan a big time gay? He was the biggest queen especially when he spoke Italian.

by Anonymousreply 13June 21, 2018 11:02 PM

Dolan is very bitter queen.

by Anonymousreply 14June 21, 2018 11:12 PM

He was one of the few American Cardinals I really liked. He always had a good answer, a sense of humor, and a sincerity about him. Not arrogant. He was a rare kind of Cardinal. Or so I thought.

This is just so sad.

by Anonymousreply 15June 21, 2018 11:20 PM

Some people here clearly do not know what the term pedophile even means.

by Anonymousreply 16June 21, 2018 11:29 PM

Agree with R6 and R13. I served at a few masses that Cardinal McCarrick celebrated and got no “creepy” vibes from him at all (unlike some other visiting priests). He is a very kind, humble, and sincere man, but must have feet of clay.

I find it odd that this accusation is coming out 50 years after-the-fact when His Eminence is near death and has been losing his memory and mental acuity in recent years.

Very sad indeed.

by Anonymousreply 17June 22, 2018 2:44 AM

Preach, r17.

by Anonymousreply 18June 22, 2018 2:56 AM

R18 - Bill Cosby is and has always been a nasty, selfish egomaniac who did nothing to help others. Just sharing my experiences and observations, not looking for debate.

by Anonymousreply 19June 22, 2018 3:14 AM

I dont believe any of this, sounds like nothing more than than a smear campaign.

by Anonymousreply 20June 22, 2018 3:35 AM

Only one accusation in his 50 year career makes the accusation sound very suspicious to me. Sexual predators are notoriously serial offenders. I don't give a shit about whatever happened between him and the seminarians.

by Anonymousreply 21June 22, 2018 3:48 AM

He's been defrocked!!!

by Anonymousreply 22June 22, 2018 3:55 AM

More like SEMENARIANS, amirite?

by Anonymousreply 23June 22, 2018 4:51 AM

Hmmm and these are the Christians that teach our children being gay is a sin. They judge and yet live with many secrets. Disgusting. Growing up in a very religious church going (3 times a week). I saw all the hypocrites. No one is without sin. The difference was all it took for these sinners to do was every Sunday go forward and repent via thru their or the ministers words. Vialla- there sin is removed until they leave the building. Then it’s sin, repent, and repeat. But my being gay was beyond a cardinal sin. Even after our minister ran off with a church member (they married too), etc etc. Christianity = judgemental freaks who haven’t dealt with their own vices. They choose to judge everyone else. Ok, I will remove my drama Tierra now.

by Anonymousreply 24June 22, 2018 5:04 AM

R24 oops not Vialla, I cannot think how to spell it. Damn it. More like TADA they are cured. That’s not the word. Help.

by Anonymousreply 25June 22, 2018 5:08 AM

R4 That means he was a top! Hollywood and Washington still have tons of pedophiles around yet the press is worried about someone who engaged in adult consensual sex with seminarians. Keep protecting those pedophiles guys one day the truth will come out and you will have shit on your faces.

by Anonymousreply 26June 22, 2018 6:19 AM

[quote]one day the truth will come out and you will have shit on your faces.

Literally!!!

by Anonymousreply 27June 22, 2018 7:11 AM

I think you're looking for "Voila", R25.

Now, what's "Tierra"?

by Anonymousreply 28June 22, 2018 7:35 AM

Tiara?

by Anonymousreply 29June 22, 2018 7:40 AM

What a creep. He puts one hand on the shoulder of the girl (like a pal would do) and the other around the waist of a boy, like they're a couple!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30June 22, 2018 7:46 AM

That's a well-chosen image, my fellow DLer.

by Anonymousreply 31June 22, 2018 7:54 AM

The Catholic Church - World leader in pedophilia and sexual abuse!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32June 22, 2018 8:00 AM

Why the fuck would someone come forward fifty years later? Seriously, why now? What the fuck could the alleged victim hope to get out of this?

by Anonymousreply 33June 22, 2018 8:06 AM

"I dont believe any of this, sounds like nothing more than than a smear campaign."

Well if you don't believe it, it must be true! Because you have MAGIC BRAIN WAVE POWERS!

Ooooooooh, gurl! Use your magic mind powers to make Donald Trump dance around like a hippo from Fantasia!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34June 22, 2018 8:07 AM

Love these dummies who talk about "creepy vibes" you honestly think you can see someone is a paedophile? ? Jeez no wonder so many get away with it, everyone's looking for an evil guy in a raincoat. The stupidity of people never ceases to amaze me.

by Anonymousreply 35June 22, 2018 8:24 AM

Knowing a couple of people who grew up in his diocese I'd believe this 100%. The Catholic church is essentially the worlds wealthiest pedophile ring.

by Anonymousreply 36June 22, 2018 8:33 AM

" I never got creepy vibes from him."

Yeah well you probably weren't his type.

by Anonymousreply 37June 22, 2018 8:45 AM

Is the cardinal a nelly bottom?

by Anonymousreply 38June 23, 2018 3:30 PM

I'm not a fan of the church and believe it has a lot to answer for with regard to years of abuse and coverups.

However, based on the information given so far, the allegations don't sound credible, especially since they don't seem to follow the pattern of virtually all the other proven instances of abuse. We're missing a lot of details and information.

Trial by newspaper and twitter are a huge problem. Now, organizations need to react with or without evidence or be buried in an avalanche. If you don't condemn someone immediately, you're viewed as complicit or approving of their crimes. You don't need to defend someone, either. But, unless you actively condemn someone, you're a monster also. An accusation without corroboration should simply not be sufficient to decide guilt - not matter what the charge or who the charge is against.

He may be guilty. But, we've moved onto dangerous ground when simply being a ________ (insert whatever you want) makes you guilty of a crime.

If he is guilty, he should be punished, no matter how old he is or how long ago the crime. I certainly don't think that just because you get away with something for a long time, that you ought to be let off the hook. I certainly don't think Polanski should be let off just because he has been able to evade authorities for so long - and at the time he committed his crimes, he couldn't possibly know that the victim decades later would forgive him.

by Anonymousreply 39June 23, 2018 3:57 PM

R39 Who cares if the allegations sound credible to YOU. The allegations were investigated and presented to an independent counsel and THEY determined the allegations were credible.

by Anonymousreply 40June 27, 2018 4:54 PM

The guy is 'processing' the cardinal's removal?

And he's in his 60s?

Boo fucking hoo.

What a pair of fucking assholes he and his lawyer are.

And misconduct with adults? What does this mean? Rape? If not move along.

No sympathy for any of these people.

Catholics are shits whether they are clergy or parishioners. If you haven't renounced your Catholicism by the end of your teens you're part of the problem.

by Anonymousreply 41June 27, 2018 9:25 PM

If you know a priest who is sexually active (dating or hookups, etc.) should he be outed? Send him a letter? Send a letter to his bishop? Or just leave him alone?

by Anonymousreply 42June 29, 2018 2:28 AM

[quote][R39] Who cares if the allegations sound credible to YOU. The allegations were investigated and presented to an independent counsel and THEY determined the allegations were credible.

I never said anyone had to care about my assessment of the credibility of the charges.

I'm perfectly fine waiting to see how a trial goes after all the evidence is presented. But, you really didn't pay much attention to the point I was actually making, did you. And I'm sure you're now going to go on some unhinged rampage, accusing me of whatever - even though I specifically said that if he's guilty, he ought to be punished without regard for his age or the amount of time that has passed.

by Anonymousreply 43June 29, 2018 2:42 AM

I read OPs story. The 16 year old got his genitals grabbed by this guy twice- a year apart. The kid pushed him away and left both times. First time was during a wardrobe fitting. The second time was in a restroom. Is grabbing a handful of genitals even considered sexual contact?

by Anonymousreply 44June 29, 2018 2:59 AM

Yes, it is.

by Anonymousreply 45June 29, 2018 3:05 AM

The old fart is getting defrocked for grabbing a kid's junque? That's nuts (so to speak).

by Anonymousreply 46June 29, 2018 3:06 AM

R43 You also said "the allegations don't sound credible" and my point was that they were found to be credible already, so why cast doubt? You're on for all of what you say, not just some of what you say. Move along, lady.

by Anonymousreply 47June 29, 2018 4:05 PM

So r45, a grab, a squeeze, and a stroke are very different things. Think about it before you answer.

by Anonymousreply 48July 10, 2018 2:03 AM

R44 Er... Yeah. Of fucking course its considered sexual contact. Who are you Kevin Spacey?

by Anonymousreply 49July 10, 2018 2:22 AM

God teaches us to love our neighbor... but don't get caught.

by Anonymousreply 50July 10, 2018 6:29 AM

[quote]If you haven't renounced your Catholicism by the end of your teens you're part of the problem.

Fifth grade for me.

by Anonymousreply 51July 10, 2018 6:45 AM

According to Gallup, about 39 percent of Catholics reported attending church in any given week, according to data collected between 2014 and 2017. That’s down from 45 percent between 2005 and 2008. And it’s a huge drop from 1955 when Gallup polling reported weekly Mass attendance at 75 percent. I'm surprised it's as high as 39% to be honest.

by Anonymousreply 52July 17, 2018 4:02 AM

"Imagine..." a world without religion.... but with lots of spirituality!

by Anonymousreply 53July 22, 2018 7:03 AM

The Times updated the McCarrick story this week -- a 60-year-old man (identified as James) has come forward claiming McCarrick abused him for years, beginning when he was 11 and lasting for nearly 20 years.

"Interviews and documents obtained by The New York Times after Cardinal McCarrick’s removal showed that some in the church hierarchy had known for decades about allegations that he was sexually harassing and touching adult seminarians. On Monday, The Times reported that a former priest, Robert Ciolek, had received an $80,000 settlement in 2005, in part over allegations that Cardinal McCarrick, as a New Jersey bishop in the 1980s, had sexually harassed and inappropriately touched him. Another former seminarian received a $100,000 settlement for similar allegations in 2007.

But James’ allegations — that he was repeatedly sexually abused as a minor — are the most explosive yet to be leveled against the cardinal, who is now 88 and living in seclusion in the Washington, D.C., area. James said he had tried to tell his father that he was being abused when he was 15 or 16. But Father McCarrick was so beloved by his family, he said, and considered so holy, that the idea was unfathomable."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54July 22, 2018 2:38 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!