Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Sam Heughan, Luke Evans, Benedict Cumberbatch etc, why fans go apeshit explained in a podcast by Slate's "Decoder Ring" Podcast

Take a listen to this podcast it goes into the very psyche of straight female fans of certain actors and/or the characters they perceive as gay and then goes apeshit over these actors personal lives be it gay or straight.

If you've ever wondered how can there be 99,000 DL threads on Sam Heughan, who most people have no idea who he is, here's an explanation. It mainly focuses on the Sherlock/Watson "ship", but it applies to a lot of other shows/actors. It's a great new podcast from the people at Slate.com.

Crazy Crazy Crazy Crazy Crazy Crazy Crazy Crazy Crazy

Believe it is worth your time.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31July 3, 2018 3:24 PM

Thanks. Do they also go into the phenomenon of overseas fraus being a huge and integral part of this weird behaviour? Because DL could tell them [italic]a lot[/italic] about that.

by Anonymousreply 1June 20, 2018 10:34 PM

A lot of people use (obsessive) fan worship as distraction to avoid dealing with their own issues. But a a person who is terrified of dealing with his own issues is weak minded and weak minded people do very destructive things mentally and physically.

by Anonymousreply 2June 20, 2018 10:35 PM

Luke Evans is definitely gay in reality. I once played drunk boggle with him and his boyfriend.

by Anonymousreply 3June 20, 2018 10:36 PM

Fuck podcasts, can't these people write?

by Anonymousreply 4June 20, 2018 10:38 PM

There’s some interesting insight on this thread about fandoms and their more delusional denizens.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5June 21, 2018 1:53 AM

R4 - Obviously, of course it is WRITTEN before they record it to their podcast. I appreciate podcasts better than radio. it gives me something interesting to listen to while stuck traffic.

welcome to the 21st century!

by Anonymousreply 6June 21, 2018 6:11 AM

Stupid thread title, OP.

by Anonymousreply 7June 21, 2018 6:49 AM

Isn’t Luke Evans openly gay?

by Anonymousreply 8June 21, 2018 7:08 AM

tjlc

The Johnlock Conspiracy. The idea that the popular ship Johnlock (John Watson/Sherlock Holmes) in the BBC series Sherlock will eventually become canon. Fans believe that the writers for the show already have plans to make it canon but are saving it for later in the series or will be endgame.

by Anonymousreply 9June 21, 2018 7:39 AM

bottomlock

Refers to any fanfiction involving Sherlock Holmes smut where he happens to be the bottom.

by Anonymousreply 10June 21, 2018 7:44 AM

R6, there's no written version at your link.

by Anonymousreply 11June 21, 2018 7:48 AM

Luke Evans is openly gay.

by Anonymousreply 12June 21, 2018 3:09 PM

r7 - please fuck off

by Anonymousreply 13June 21, 2018 8:12 PM

R7 indeed. A stupid thread too. Luke Evans is openly gay, the Sam Heughan thread trolls are trying to get those threads closed because they are homophobic obsessed OL and Jamie Fraser fans. This is another pathetic attempt to get everyone to shut up about bearding and closeting in Hollywood and in particular about SH. OP is a pathetic PR shill.

by Anonymousreply 14June 26, 2018 1:49 PM

The trolls are busy:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15June 26, 2018 1:55 PM

Thank you OP, fascinating podcast

My own theory on why these stan fraus find DL is that they can actually talk shit about the actor on here since it's an anonymous board. On a regular fan board, they'd be shut down because you're not allowed to say anything negative about the Stan Object. (The overall tone of DL helps with that as well.)

It's also a place where they can anonymously trade stalking tips--which second cousin of the actor forgot to make his IG private so that the stans can all follow and hope to see photos at the cousin's son's wedding-- shit like that.

I think R2's explanation of who these people are is pretty spot on

by Anonymousreply 16June 30, 2018 4:07 PM

Oh, this is the thread where we can plug our own websites?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17June 30, 2018 4:14 PM

Except that I can buy stuff, I hate the internet. It's let crazy connect.

by Anonymousreply 18June 30, 2018 4:19 PM

Sherlock is huge in China

by Anonymousreply 19June 30, 2018 4:21 PM

There hasn't been a new season of Sherlock for...years, right? Why is anyone at all still talking about Sherlock?

by Anonymousreply 20June 30, 2018 4:23 PM

was.

by Anonymousreply 21June 30, 2018 4:24 PM

R20 And yet people are still talking about JFK, Marilyn etc

by Anonymousreply 22June 30, 2018 4:26 PM

[quote] There hasn't been a new season of Sherlock for...years, right? Why is anyone at all still talking about Sherlock?

Says the guy posting on a website whose most popular topic is a sitcom that's been off the air for almost 30 years

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23June 30, 2018 4:27 PM

Yeah, but R23 -I- don't talk about the Golden Girls!

by Anonymousreply 24June 30, 2018 4:30 PM

The queens live GG

by Anonymousreply 25June 30, 2018 4:30 PM

live=love

Oh live too

by Anonymousreply 26June 30, 2018 4:31 PM

I'm not even much of a fan of Cumberbatch, but in a way I feel sorry for him. He seems to attract the craziest, most batshit, stalkery people. The police have had to get involved a few times. I can't even imagine.

by Anonymousreply 27June 30, 2018 4:36 PM

My BF had a 50 something school teacher friend who is obsessed with Robert Pattinson and all things Twighlt. I met her when BF and I started dating and casually mentioned that Pattinson lives up the street from me in Los Feliz, and that I've seen him at our local dive bar.

She went from being a totally normal lady to crazy, demanded to know where he lives - I told her its not a good idea since he has off-duty LAPD protecting his home from fans, and they do arrest them for trespassing. Then, of course, she wanted to know the name of the bar and I told her. So BF makes weekend plans to meet there. When we got there, she had tweeted the info to her fellow fanatics and the bar was packed with middle-aged women staring at the front door expecting Pattinson to walk through any minute.

I had never dealt with someone like this before and felt bad for leaking out this random info. Luckily he did not show up that night and my BF has since stopped being friends with her due to this obsession. Apparently, it rules her life, her husband and her two kids take a backseat to her fanaticism.

And like the podcast reports, these fans have a network and post the most random "facts" about their obsessions. I was actually surprised that they didn't already know about the dive bar or his home address.

by Anonymousreply 28July 3, 2018 2:55 AM

CRAZY r28! I will also never understand people like this.

by Anonymousreply 29July 3, 2018 3:13 AM

I've had some involvement with online fandoms, both as a fan and a snarky bitch who mocks fandoms, and the thing about the nutty gals like the one R28 describes is that they probably don't think that if they go to their idol's bar and meet him, he'll fall in love and sweep her off her trotters.

They do, however, think that they can impress the hell out of their fellow fans, because they're the one who has inside information and who's actually met their fellow fans! Really, for people like this the idol is the fantasy, but the fandom is their peer group and probably the only "friends" they have, and many of the crazy things they do are actually motivated by the desire to impress or outdo the other fans. It's insane, but it's not inexplicable.

by Anonymousreply 30July 3, 2018 7:45 AM

[quote]he'll fall in love and sweep her off her trotters

That is the best description of a frau's feet I've ever heard.

by Anonymousreply 31July 3, 2018 3:24 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!