Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

I'm shopping for a used car

And I hate it.

This morning went to a dealership to look at a car and the rear bumper was covered in scratches. I point this out and the salesman sales, "If you want a new cart you should buy a new car." I respond, "If I was going to buy new I wouldn't be at this place." He says, "Oh, you know what?" and then proceeded to walk away. A moment later the manager comes out and tells me to leave.

Yesterday afternoon went to look at a car at another dealership and the interior was filthy, like the previous owner was raising hogs in the car. The saleswoman says they'll detail the car after I buy it, (for a small charge.)

On Monday I went to look at a car, again at a dealership, and the salesman insisted on coming along for the test drive. We drove less than a kilometer and he announces that we should get back to the dealership to sign the paperwork. I ignore him and keep driving and suddenly the engine starts making a whining sound. I look at the salesman and he looks like I just caught him jerking off. Turns out the engine needs major repairs, but it's ok because I can have the work done at the dealership--after I buy the car.

by Anonymousreply 32June 21, 2018 12:46 PM

0/10

by Anonymousreply 1June 20, 2018 8:15 PM

^^^Measuring his dick

by Anonymousreply 2June 20, 2018 8:17 PM

OP,

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3June 20, 2018 8:17 PM

Carmax

by Anonymousreply 4June 20, 2018 8:17 PM

OP/R2,

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5June 20, 2018 8:18 PM

Say to rhe salesman:

Any car that you buy as a trade-in or new is purchased knowing what reconditioning is necessary. You clearly have not done any of that work.

Do you have any ‘certified used’ vehicles that I can test drive?

Solution? Only look at certified used cars from dealers. They are required to bring every cat up to a specified level dictated by the manufacturer. Go to KBB or auto trader and search for used cars only under Certified Used.

by Anonymousreply 6June 20, 2018 8:19 PM

R1 R3 & R5

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7June 20, 2018 8:20 PM

I'm driving a 10-year old car, can afford to buy a new car in cash, but keep putting off getting a new car because I so hate negotiating with car salesman (yet don't want to pay more than I need to). I looked into paying a broker to buy a new car (& selling my current one), but there doesn't seem to be any car brokers in my area.

by Anonymousreply 8June 20, 2018 8:21 PM

op/r7

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9June 20, 2018 8:24 PM

Yeah, OP, I've recently been through that and finally just bought a car from a friend of a friend. I barely even negotiated, I was so desperate to get the process over with!

I did simplify things for myself for looking for hybrids online, which allowed me to at least narrow down the cars in my price range and location. But there were a couple of instances where I went to the dealer to look at a listed car, the dweeb on the lot swore there was no such car and never had been, and the next week the same car was still being advertised. And one dealer who showed me the Carfax report that said it'd been in a minor accident, and the mechanic I took the car to say that both the front and back end had been crushed and cobbled back together. But my favorite was the low-rent dealer who saw the "CHECK ENGINE" light come on during a test drive, and pressured me to buy it anyway! He said that by taking the keys I'd agreed to buy the damned thing, of all the fucking nerve!

by Anonymousreply 10June 20, 2018 8:37 PM

What about going to a major car dealership like a Ford or Toyota? They sell used cars as well as new. Maybe for more but with all the kinds of research you can do you can find a more reliable car and you can find out what kind of service they provide to back up your purchase.

And you can negotiate even a new car price. The manager has a sales quota to fill and simply units sold to him or her is important. I played hard ball with a Camry I bought and didn't know I had. I said this is all I could afford and I got it. I wasn't trying to take advantage of them but they were pretty pissed off despite selling me the car.

by Anonymousreply 11June 20, 2018 8:48 PM

Are you obviously gay, OP?

by Anonymousreply 12June 20, 2018 8:56 PM

Same r8. The negotiating and the whole hours and hours long routine they put you through, HATE. Right up there with finding and hiring a contractor.

by Anonymousreply 13June 20, 2018 9:15 PM

Another vote for going the certified route. The other thing I do is a ton of research on what I am looking for and what the current pricing is. I won't go look at a vehicle that falls outside of the parameters I find through research. In other words, I am only going to look at vehicles that already appear to be a good value. It just takes the sting and frankly minimizes negotiations on my part.

by Anonymousreply 14June 20, 2018 9:35 PM

I hear you, OP. Despite making six figures in an affordable city, I haven't bought a new car in 14 years. My old car runs just fine. I hate buying cars. A friend of mine told me some horror stories when she bought a car last year. It made me hold on to my car for yet another year. I think next year I'm finally going to have to give in a buy again. Hopefully I don't run into the BS you did.

by Anonymousreply 15June 20, 2018 9:47 PM

OP a guy on the side o the road with a lot ull o used cars, all makes, is not a dealer. Go to a lehgit =make dealer. I've bought used Cadillacs, sedans and SUV's and Dodge trucks at a dealor for years, never had a problem.

by Anonymousreply 16June 20, 2018 9:50 PM

For those commenting, I have only been going to Buick dealers since I'm looking for a used Buick.

by Anonymousreply 17June 20, 2018 10:20 PM

I am surprised at the salespeople's behavior if you are going to an actual dealer and not a used car lot. You might want to report them to the manager, or better yet, the owner. BTW, are certified Buicks at the dealership in your price range? Another tip if going to an actual dealer - look for off make models that are outside of what the dealership sells new. The fact that the dealer kept the car for their lot as opposed to sending to auction is a good indicator that the car is good. All bets are off going to the neighborhood used car dealer - some are good and others are a nightmare. I prefer to deal with an actual dealer for that main reason.

by Anonymousreply 18June 20, 2018 10:48 PM

You have been going to genuine dealers? This is not good. How about another make?

by Anonymousreply 19June 20, 2018 10:50 PM

R18 is right. I got a nice used Lexus (had it for 11 years, still good with regular maintenance) at a Honda dealership of all places.

Yeah used car salesman are fucktards. My sister bought a Volvo and the staff was kissing her ass. Two months later she came in for repairs and they were had a "who the fuck are you?" type attitude.

by Anonymousreply 20June 20, 2018 11:01 PM

OP, I've heard great things about Carmax.

by Anonymousreply 21June 20, 2018 11:03 PM

Carmax has a great search engine and will bring cars you're interested in to your area, so they're very useful if you're looking for something specific.

However, when I asked if it would be possible to take the car I was interested in off the lot and have an independent mechanic look at it, the sales geek said no they don't do that, he'd never heard of such a bizarre request! Needless to say I wasn't buying without having an independent mechanic look at the car and see if the "one accident" on its record had mangled anything important, so I didn't buy that car.

by Anonymousreply 22June 20, 2018 11:14 PM

Carmax has a 5 day return policy. If you buy a car and find out something is wrong with it you can return it within 5 days and get all your money back (as long as the car is returned in the same condition it was when purchased).

by Anonymousreply 23June 21, 2018 1:07 AM

He'd never heard such a bizarre request? That's in and of itself bizarre.

Your sister had to bring in the Volvo after 2 months? Are they known to be problem cars?

by Anonymousreply 24June 21, 2018 1:19 AM

try to find a certified used car 3 years old or less that has just come off of a lease. plus Only look at cars that have a free carfax to review. finally Only look at cars on line thru autotrader.com or cars.com..............you can dial it down to 100 miles or less from your zip. Once you have the car narrowed down do all the negotiating on line only and get them to email you the final walk off price in writing. then go look at the car. Arrange financing prior to going to the dealership to compare it to what they have to offer as to financing. PS, I bought a new car last November mostly following the above steps and bought a 32000 car discounted down to 23500 plus tax and license with a 2.2 percent interest rate on a 5 year loan putting about 40% down.

by Anonymousreply 25June 21, 2018 1:37 AM

Get a used Camry.

I've had mine for 12 years and only had to change the tires and battery once. When I hear about the constant problems people have with their cars I'm like you must be doing something wrong.

Even the 6 cd player is still working which is really shocking. Not that anybody still uses such a thing except me.

by Anonymousreply 26June 21, 2018 1:46 AM

buying any car new or used is horrible. I got a used one last year. I drove all the dealers crazy. I would look at a car. come home and research it, find out all the problems people had complained about the car and any recalls. The car I really wanted had a problem that year and the engine would start revving either while driving or sitting still. I was afraid to take a chance. I was told that No one had ever researched a car like me but I had to make sure it was right.

I happen to have a friend who is a mortician and a car guy. he has restored numerous old Cadillacs and loves cars. I finally chose 2 cars and my friend went to the dealership for me and looked at each one. He wouldn't even get in the Subaru and told me it had horrible vibes just looking at it. He looked at the other I had chosen and said he didn't feel anything one way or the other about it. Then he spotted a car that he said had great vibes and he wasn't even standing near it. He inquired about it, it was the lowest priced of the three, is a horrid gray color and is a low end Nissan SUV. It was NOT what I wanted but he has always helped me get cars and I trust him completely so I bought it. It was 3 years old and had been a lease which was what I wanted. People tend to take better care of a leased car so they don't have to pay extra when they turn it in. So far so good.

The last car he helped me get was in 2005, it was a 1999 Nissan Quest Van, top of the line, leather seats, the first tv they ever put it in a car and everything else they could get in it. It booked at 12,000 at the time and we got it for $6,000 by a private owner. I had it until I got this recent one last year so it lasted me 12 years and was already 6/7 years old when I got it.

I think the reason it is so hard is because they are so much money, you are always taking a chance, it isn't like you can improve it like a house, and you want to at least get some of your money out of it but there are no guarantees and all it does is depreciate.

I would never buy an American car

by Anonymousreply 27June 21, 2018 1:47 AM

[quote] I'm driving a 10-year old car, can afford to buy a new car in cash, but keep putting off getting a new car because I so hate negotiating with car salesman (yet don't want to pay more than I need to). I looked into paying a broker to buy a new car (& selling my current one), but there doesn't seem to be any car brokers in my area

Go to Costco or BJ's wholesale clubs. AAA (triple A) also has a car buying service. You would have to pay about $80 for memberships to each of these, but it would probably be worth it

by Anonymousreply 28June 21, 2018 1:51 AM

When I was buying a used car I would find a great car with a great price at a big car dealership (ford, nissan, toyota etc). I would go down there and the car would be gone or they would tell me some bullshit story that it was at another dealership out of state. After about 3 times I decided to do a google image search the picture of the car. The car I searched was on 3 different car dealers websites. They were all in different states. I think it's just a bait and switch tactic to get people in. It's some kind of scummy car dealer fuckery trick

Always image search the vehicle you see on a website. Always do a Carfax search on the car you are serious about and always get the car inspected by a mechanic you trust (they will probably charge you). You can even ask the name of the previous owner and try to call them and ask why they traded the car in

You can not trust any dealership that won't let you bring the car to get it inspected at your mechanic. Leave immediately

If you are in America. Cargurus.com and Carfax.com are good websites that narrow down what's available in your area. Many of the cars on Car Gurus have Carfax reports. You can buy discounted car fax reports on Ebay. Some people buy 5 (it's cheaper that way) and have some left over. You can use their info to search a car

by Anonymousreply 29June 21, 2018 2:02 AM

I wouldn’t have any sales resistance to this guy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30June 21, 2018 3:38 AM

Thanks, R28, I'll give that a shot.

by Anonymousreply 31June 21, 2018 11:48 AM

It may help people help YOU if we knew your budget and/or needs for vehicular transportation.

Sounds like you've been visiting some rather unscrupulous dealerships. Or looking at rather inexpensive vehicles.

by Anonymousreply 32June 21, 2018 12:46 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!