Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Steve Shmit the famous Republican strategist for both Bush and McCain just tweeted is is leaving the Republican party.

Republican strategist Steve Schmidt, one of the GOP's loudest critics of President Trump, renounced the party early Wednesday and announced that he will begin voting for Democrats. Wow, I didn't see that coming. He's a very smart guy and was one of the few people on the Republican side that seemed to be a straight shooter and knew exactly what was going on. Well I am glad, welcome to the party, he was one of the few on the other side I actually liked.

"It is corrupt, indecent and immoral. With the exception of a few Governors like Baker, Hogan and Kasich it is filled with feckless cowards who disgrace and dishonor the legacies of the party’s greatest leaders"

"29 years and nine months ago I registered to vote and became a member of The Republican Party which was founded in 1854 to oppose slavery and stand for the dignity of human life. Today I renounce my membership in the Republican Party. It is fully the party of Trump."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49June 21, 2018 4:55 AM

The Republican Party now stands for ripping toddlers from their parents to put into cages. This is what they have allowed Trump to bring them to.

by Anonymousreply 1June 20, 2018 12:35 PM

Is Shmit even a real name?

by Anonymousreply 2June 20, 2018 12:37 PM

I hope he starts working for Democrats running for office now. And please no more, when they go low we go high bullshit. How about when they go low we kick them in the nuts.

by Anonymousreply 3June 20, 2018 12:40 PM

Trump = mafia

The Republican Party = “good fellas”

Thugs.

by Anonymousreply 4June 20, 2018 12:45 PM

Its Schmidt, typo on my part.

by Anonymousreply 5June 20, 2018 12:45 PM

Actually I had that same thought R3. Maybe its too soon to think about it, but since Steve is a really smart guy, might not be a bad idea to have him help the Democratic party when it gets to a point that he could do so. Not sure if he would do it though. He knows all the ins and outs of the opposite side of the coin, so he could be very insightful.

by Anonymousreply 6June 20, 2018 12:48 PM

Trump is not the Mafia, how dare you! We at least have family values. We would never do that to a bambino.

by Anonymousreply 7June 20, 2018 12:49 PM

More Schmidt:

On Ronald Reagan’s grave are these words. “ I know in my heart that man is good. That what is right will always eventually triumph and there is purpose and worth to each and every life.” He would be ashamed of McConnell and Ryan and all the rest while this corrupt government establishes internment camps for babies. Everyone of these complicit leaders will carry this shame through history. There legacies will be ones of well earned ignominy. They have disgraced their country and brought dishonor to the Party of Lincoln.

I have spent much of my life working in GOP politics. I have always believed that both parties were two of the most important institutions to the advancement of human freedom and dignity in the history of the world. Today the GOP has become a danger to our democracy and values.

This Independent voter will be aligned with the only party left in America that stands for what is right and decent and remains fidelitous to our Republic, objective truth, the rule of law and our Allies.

That party is the Democratic Party.

by Anonymousreply 8June 20, 2018 12:51 PM

Wow, r8, Steve is on a roll!

by Anonymousreply 9June 20, 2018 12:55 PM

This made my morning. More more more!

by Anonymousreply 10June 20, 2018 1:01 PM

I have been watching Steve on MSNBC shows for some time. I am always impressed by his demeanor and how knowledgeable he is. Hopefully the Democratic Party will welcome Steve with open arms and listen to what he has to say. Welcome Steve! You made my day.

by Anonymousreply 11June 20, 2018 1:02 PM

I totally agree - every time I heard Steve speak on MSNBC, I had a hard time understanding that he was a republican.

by Anonymousreply 12June 20, 2018 1:07 PM

While I appreciate Schmidt more and more these days, let's never forget, the guy picked Sarah Palin to be McCain's VP candidate.

by Anonymousreply 13June 20, 2018 1:08 PM

Great news, but it's going to take ALOT more graft to unseat Trump and his henchmen from the reins of power. I spoke with an ex-pat Trumpette yesterday, a seemingly normal reasonable woman, left leaning socially, and she's a business owner who likes low taxes and the fact that Trump is "standing up for America". Asked about the kids on the border, she was uncomfortable, but "their parents need to stop coming into our country illegally". Polls are up, employment up, blacks working......I don't know what you have to do but there's a long road ahead for you guys. I'm in UK.

by Anonymousreply 14June 20, 2018 1:15 PM

Trump won the electoral college thanks to about ~70k votes. That is all you have to switch to unseat Trump. Thankfully it is not that tough of a road.

by Anonymousreply 15June 20, 2018 1:17 PM

Baby steps but we are on our way. Think positive.

by Anonymousreply 16June 20, 2018 1:17 PM

Is it inconceivable that Trump wouldn't even get the nomination? If he's not removed from office, that's the next best thing.

by Anonymousreply 17June 20, 2018 1:20 PM

[quote] Polls are up

Well, his poll numbers rose to his highest levels: 45 percent. He still has 55 percent who disapprove. Reporting on the poll, they tried to put it in context by saying that Obama and Clinton had similar numbers at the same points in their presidencies. What was unsaid, however, was that both Obama and Clinton had both enjoyed much higher approval ratings, while Trump never has. He has never the approval of a majority of the country.

And, while he did get a temporary bump as a result of the North Korea photo-op, the numbers will likely fall quickly as a result of this latest debacle. You don't win many fans by ripping children from the arms of their parents. Yes, his hard-line supporters are in gleeful delight, but those people will never get him a win him on their own.

by Anonymousreply 18June 20, 2018 1:32 PM

Since this nightmare began, I’ve always believed that he could only be stopped from within, meaning by his own party. We all need to just keep protesting, but we can watch out of the corners of our eyes as some of the Christians clean house, GOP cleans house, etc. PLEASE don’t tell me I’m naive — I realize they’ll never totally clean house, this is America after all. But many do NOT like this, and they’re getting tired of being associated with this shit show.

But I think if we can get enough people pissed off, the GOP is then forced to at least squash some of the fringe elements. Look at what’s happened just this week:

Laura Bush spoke out Jeff Sessions Church is trying to discipline him Southern Baptists came out Catholic bishops came out Steve Schmidt is leaving GOP

That is an organic process, and will be the strongest deterrent against the worst of them. That it all, carry on. Yes, I’m desperate for positive news, I’m looking for anything.

by Anonymousreply 19June 20, 2018 1:46 PM

AND he's a hot daddy!

by Anonymousreply 20June 20, 2018 2:24 PM

When they are doing the polls no one has ever asked me. I guess they wouldn’t like my response.

by Anonymousreply 21June 20, 2018 3:33 PM

Isn’t he married to McCain’s daughter?

by Anonymousreply 22June 20, 2018 4:21 PM

Just checked, he’s not married to Mcain’s daughter.

by Anonymousreply 23June 20, 2018 4:23 PM

[quote]let's never forget, the guy picked Sarah Palin to be McCain's VP candidate.

True. But he freely owns up to his mistake there.

by Anonymousreply 24June 20, 2018 4:25 PM

By picking Palin, he helped a Dem achieve the presidency.

by Anonymousreply 25June 20, 2018 4:28 PM

By picking palin he opened the Pandora’s box of “reality politics” that the United States suffers from now

by Anonymousreply 26June 20, 2018 4:38 PM

Steve always impressed me with respect to how articulate, intelligent, and courageous he is. He’s got a history of calling out Trump, directly and enthusiastically, in away that is very persuasive.

by Anonymousreply 27June 20, 2018 5:14 PM

Did he pick Palin? It was obvious in Game Change both he and Nicolle Wallace were horrified by her.

by Anonymousreply 28June 20, 2018 5:15 PM

Feckless.

by Anonymousreply 29June 20, 2018 5:17 PM

It’s time to start running Then & Now clips.

A good place to start is footage of all the idiots in line to buy Sarah Palin’s book and their ‘responses’ when asked, “Why Sarah?”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30June 20, 2018 5:44 PM

Family? FAMILY??!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31June 20, 2018 5:45 PM

Maybe those clip shows where they interview teens about pop icons of yesteryear can play these clips for their reaction to Palin supporter comments.

by Anonymousreply 32June 20, 2018 5:58 PM

Everyone makes a mistake once in a while. You learn from your mistakes. Nicolle Wallace at one time dealt with Palin. She doesn’t have anything nice to say about her.

by Anonymousreply 33June 21, 2018 12:38 AM

“fidelitous”??

by Anonymousreply 34June 21, 2018 1:11 AM

Here is Charlie. Still relevant.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35June 21, 2018 1:46 AM

Mary!

by Anonymousreply 36June 21, 2018 2:48 AM

He's opened the floodgates. Now other Repubs will follow his lead, and start teaching Dems how to fight dirty. Dude knows where all the bodies are buried.

by Anonymousreply 37June 21, 2018 3:04 AM

The guy on the far right is Meghan McCain's husband

Ben Domenech

Ben Domenech (born January 1, 1982) is an American conservative writer, blogger, and television commentator. He is the founder and the publisher of The Federalist, host of The Federalist Radio Hour, and writes The Transom, a daily subscription newsletter for political insiders. He also co-founded the RedState group blog.

He is the former managing editor for health care policy at The Heartland Institute and former editor-in-chief of The City. He created and hosted a daily free market podcast, Coffee and Markets, until 2014. In 2006, Domenech was hired as a blogger by The Washington Post, but resigned three days later after accusations of plagiarism in prior work.

Domenech was born to a Puerto Rican father (possible big dick) and a Dutch-Irish mother. (OOPS! Cancels the big dick out. It's a wash...)

He became engaged in July 2017 to Meghan McCain, the daughter of John McCain. They were married on November 21, 2017.

Domenech was hired by the Washington Post's online arm to write a blog providing "a daily mix of commentary, analysis and cultural criticism".[28] Media Matters for America criticized the choice, claiming that "[t]here [were], however, no progressive bloggers -- and no one left of center with the credentials of a political operative -- on washingtonpost.com to provide balance to Domenech."[29] Instapundit founder Glenn Reynolds told the New York Times that Domenech's appointment attracted anger "because he was a conservative and he was given real estate at The Washington Post" and this spurred bloggers to find "something they could use to get rid of him."[7]

Red America launched on March 21, 2006, but Domenech resigned three days later after only six posts, after other bloggers posted evidence that Domenech had plagiarized work from the Washington Post, The New Yorker, humorist P. J. O'Rourke, and several other writers. O'Rourke denied Domenech's claim that the humorist had granted permission to use his words, adding that he could not recall ever meeting the college student.[7] Editors for Domenech's college newspaper, The Flat Hat, denied allegations by Domenech that one instance of plagiarism was because the editors had "inserted a passage from The New Yorker in an article without his knowledge," saying that "Mr. Domenech's actions, if true, [were] deeply offensive."[30] On March 24, 2006, the editors of National Review confirmed on its blog The Corner[31] that Domenech appeared to have plagiarized for at least one article he had written for that publication. Washington Post online editor Jim Brady announced Domenech's resignation saying "[a]n investigation into these allegations [of plagiarism] was ongoing, and in the interim, Domenech has resigned, effective immediately."[32]

After initially denying the plagiarism allegations, Domenech apologized, writing in a RedState post entitled "Contrition," that "[t]here is no excuse for this.... I hope that nothing I've done as a teenager or in my professional life will reflect badly on the movement and principles I believe in."[33]

In 2013, Domenech was involved in a journalism scandal that resulted in the removal of his work from The Washington Examiner and The Huffington Post when it was disclosed that Domenech received $36,000 from Joshua Trevino, a conservative pundit and lobbyist, to write favorable opinion pieces about the government of Malaysia without disclosing the relationship. The payments came to light when Trevino registered as a foreign agent of the Malaysian government.[34]

After disclosure of the payments, The Washington Examiner and The San Francisco Examiner, removed Domenech's post from their websites and replaced it with an editors' note saying that "the author of this item presented content for which, unbeknownst to us, and in violation of our standards, had received payment from a third party mentioned therein — a payment which he also failed to disclose." The Washington Examiner owned The San Francisco Examiner at the time and content was shared.[34]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38June 21, 2018 3:06 AM

I know Steve fucked up big with Palin, but that did help Obama win and I actually respect old-school Republicans, even though I disagree with them on nearly every issue. He has enough character to admit that a party he loved enough to build a career around has gone totally off the rails. I hope others join him in finally calling out not just DT but all his enablers like Ryan.

by Anonymousreply 39June 21, 2018 3:10 AM

[quote]I hope others join him in finally calling out not just DT but all his enablers like Ryan.

Don't forget about Mitch McConnell. For old Mitch it is all about the judges...

by Anonymousreply 40June 21, 2018 3:12 AM

Hopefully, Steve will help the Democrats design a cohesive message.

by Anonymousreply 41June 21, 2018 3:15 AM

This is the guy responsible for Sarah Palin

by Anonymousreply 42June 21, 2018 3:17 AM

R14- Things might change once those tariffs hit. Canada is implementing their tariffs on US goods on July 1. Funny that Trump was just in Minnesota. Guess which country is their number one export destination? Canada. So all those Minnesota Trump supporters might not be cheering so loud once those tariffs hit.

by Anonymousreply 43June 21, 2018 3:17 AM

I like the way he calls bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 44June 21, 2018 3:35 AM

Reeeeeeaaaalllly wish the few of you would STFU about Palin. We all have pulled a Palin, some of us have multiple Palins. The dude fucked up with that deal, but get over it. You wouldn’t know a patriot from a hole in the ground. This guy loves our country — he’s never claimed to be perfect. As others have said, he’s old school Repub. many of you are too young to remember when much of the party was like him. The “good” ones weren’t racists, more than anything they wanted very limited government, and that’s morphed into this Trump-Nazi demon spawn party we see today. The GOP was always always a problem, but it wasn't dripping and oozing and fuming with evil like we now see.

In addition, you who keep bringing up Palin, explain your thought process on what we do with those leaving the GOP? What’s the smart, strategic, and wise move? Tell them to fuck off and die forever? Or buy them a round of drinks and shoot the shit with them? I say, buy the guy or gal a drink, tell them “better late than never” and how can we put our heads together? Someone like Schmidt is a real win for us if he’s willing to use his skills for campaigning. He’s exactly what Dems need. As is Nicolle.

by Anonymousreply 45June 21, 2018 4:05 AM

Old school republicans were a problem too. William F Buckley anyone? An old school republican and very racist.

Fuck them all!

by Anonymousreply 46June 21, 2018 4:25 AM

We need to stop feeding the Republicans want less gov’t bullshit. After all, Nixon created Welfare.

by Anonymousreply 47June 21, 2018 4:47 AM

Generally I'd agree with you r46, but he's a good enough person to recognize that the only way forward is to let this Republican Party die out. And rethugs never want smaller government that's their code for I don't want to pay taxes ever.

Mooghan's plagarist husbands credentials are hilarious. He's sitting pretty after that big ol' tax cut. He won't need to work ever again. I give Moo and him three years, tops.

by Anonymousreply 48June 21, 2018 4:49 AM

Didn’t he bring us Sarah Palin? And McCain?

by Anonymousreply 49June 21, 2018 4:55 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!