Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The Problem With Fast Car

Is that the protagonist is a professional victim. When she claims her mother left her useless drunken husband and she quit school to take care of her father, all she did was enable his self destructive behavior.

If she had stayed in school and not given in to her drunken father, he would've been forced to stand on his own two feet and she could have had a better life. Yet we're supposed to feel sorry for this person who thinks victimization is a profession one should aspire to?

Then she repeats the behaviour with her boyfriend/husband and again, we are left wondering if she'll just leave in the fast car like her own mother did. Now not only is she a self indulgent cry baby but she is potentially a horrible person too.

by Anonymousreply 18June 26, 2018 1:27 PM

You've really thought about this, haven't you OP?

by Anonymousreply 1June 20, 2018 10:30 AM

30 years ago this summer. I remember like it was yesterday.

by Anonymousreply 2June 20, 2018 10:56 AM

Mandela - seems a lifetime ago.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3June 20, 2018 11:06 AM

No, I don't think we're supposed to feel sorry for the protagonist. I think it's quite obvious that she had got herself into another mess by trying to run away from her problems. At the end, though, she says "I got no plans, I ain't going nowhere". It's the boyfriend/husband who will take off, she's going to stay and pick up the pieces.

by Anonymousreply 4June 20, 2018 12:04 PM

lol op

by Anonymousreply 5June 20, 2018 6:44 PM

my turds are fast.

by Anonymousreply 6June 21, 2018 1:33 PM

The boyfriend/husband she was singing about did indeed leave her, as indicated by the split screen. So sad.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7June 21, 2018 1:47 PM

Whatever happened to Tracye Chapman?

Wait... I don't really care, now that I think about it.

by Anonymousreply 8June 21, 2018 1:48 PM

And she was seriously mistaken if she thought she was going to be promoted from check-out girl. I guess she wasn't educated enough to know a dead-end job when she saw one. And just how did she think she was going to afford a Fast Car anyway? Not on a cashier's salary, certainly.

by Anonymousreply 9June 21, 2018 2:00 PM

I just discovered on youtube that in the 1980s Chapman was having a relationship with the novelist Alice Walker, who is 20 years older than she is.

I did not know that.

by Anonymousreply 10June 21, 2018 2:22 PM

R10 she wrote "Telling Stories" about Alice Walker, apparently.

I thought the whole point of Fast Car was that the American Dream is a total pipe dream for most Americans?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11June 21, 2018 2:30 PM

R7, one of Bryan Singer’s protégés should do a Weird Al version of “Fast Car”. “I am a teen boy/ I dream of acting and going far/ A creepy old guy said to me/ “I can make you a superstar/ Just come to my party/ Drink, do drugs, swim in my pool/ Then we’ll go to my bedroom/ Everything will be real cool”...

by Anonymousreply 12June 21, 2018 4:37 PM

OP is a deplorable.

by Anonymousreply 13June 21, 2018 4:39 PM

I loved the song when it came out. No different than a lot of songs about escaping a small town for dreams of a better life. Bruce Springsteen is a billionaire because of he was able to tap into that angst. You would think gays of a certain age (DL's core demo) would understand that longing better than anyone.

by Anonymousreply 14June 21, 2018 5:25 PM

R11, pretty much, and perhaps also that the American Dream isn't the panacea it seems.

by Anonymousreply 15June 21, 2018 7:26 PM

This album was a smash hit. Why hasn’t it been remastered and reissued? Even minor hit albums from the 80s get the deluxe reissue treatment.

by Anonymousreply 16June 21, 2018 7:33 PM

I just had a fast turd.

by Anonymousreply 17June 26, 2018 12:55 PM

OP also thinks Luka should have just packed his shit and left the second floor after his parents hit him the first time.

by Anonymousreply 18June 26, 2018 1:27 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!