Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Madonna Compares Ageism Against Her to Racism and Homophobia

"No one would dare to say a degrading remark about being black or dare to say a degrading remark on Instagram about someone being gay. But my age -- anybody and everybody would say something degrading to me. And I always think to myself, why is that accepted? What's the difference between that and racism, or any discrimination? They're judging me by my age. I don't understand. I'm trying to get my head around it."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35June 22, 2018 7:46 PM

What goes around comes around.

We celebrate youth and see aging as weakness and as a betrayal to the high value we place on youth.

by Anonymousreply 1June 19, 2018 6:22 AM

She's got a point.

by Anonymousreply 2June 19, 2018 6:42 AM

Madonna fights the physical signs of age. Seems ageist to me.

by Anonymousreply 3June 19, 2018 8:21 PM

R3 Exactly.

by Anonymousreply 4June 19, 2018 8:24 PM

Old Lives Matter.

by Anonymousreply 5June 19, 2018 9:01 PM

Madonna-as-victim is most unconvincing. In her youth she preached a generic "freedom!" to "express yourself!", yet now that she's on the receiving end of criticism she want speech codes. Typical doofus.

by Anonymousreply 6June 19, 2018 9:50 PM

Or R3 her income depends on her marketing her looks. Or it's also about feeling better with a fit body.

But yes essentially you make sharp observation.

by Anonymousreply 7June 20, 2018 5:40 AM

She's more or less over as a performer now anyway. I doubt most people under the age of 40 care about her music now.

by Anonymousreply 8June 20, 2018 6:16 AM

Because she isn't elegant or classy. No refinement. If she wasn't fighting it so hard no one would notice. People don't mention the age of Meryl Streep. Streep is focused on bigger issues. Madonna has always been silly and transparent. Emotionally stunted and addicted to attention.

by Anonymousreply 9June 20, 2018 6:17 AM

Yet for all that she was part of my growing up.

by Anonymousreply 10June 20, 2018 6:21 AM

[quote]No one would dare to say a degrading remark about being black

Didn't you read my Tweet last month?

by Anonymousreply 11June 20, 2018 6:29 AM

You've got nothing to complain about, lady. Without consequences, you threatened to actually blow up Trump's house, while I've got G-men still riding my ass because I was photographed holding a mask covered in catsup!

by Anonymousreply 12June 20, 2018 6:37 AM

I agree with Madonna and I do not like her.

by Anonymousreply 13June 20, 2018 10:01 AM

She is right to an extent. Sudennly her last album stopped getting any airplay (and the songs were not significantly different from her previous one). Also the frequent comments she should stop acting sexual and provocative at her age. However, the comments on her horrible plastic surgery are fully deserved.

by Anonymousreply 14June 20, 2018 10:54 AM

We shouldn't deride her aged appearance, no.

But we can certainly marvel that even at her considerable age, she is still attention seeking and apparently in dire need of therapy.

by Anonymousreply 15June 20, 2018 11:28 AM

It's pathetic, really. These older women struggling to look twenty-five.

by Anonymousreply 16June 20, 2018 11:37 AM

[quote] She is right to an extent. Sudennly her last album stopped getting any airplay (and the songs were not significantly different from her previous one).

Which also weren’t played because they’re shit.

by Anonymousreply 17June 20, 2018 11:40 AM

It’s always all about her.

by Anonymousreply 18June 20, 2018 11:40 AM

She is ageist herself-- with all the plastic surgery to look young, and not dressing her age (grills? really?)

by Anonymousreply 19June 20, 2018 12:40 PM

It's not the same as racism or homophobia because aging is something all of us, regardless of income, gender, race, anything experience equally.

by Anonymousreply 20June 20, 2018 2:30 PM

What are your favorite episodes? I def prefer the 1,2&3 season’s. Like the freak show, the one with the weed/comics guy, the Amalia amalfi one, the one of the wedding of miranda’s friend and the decorator ( frog gift), when Carrie met the ex spouse of Big.

by Anonymousreply 21June 20, 2018 2:42 PM

^ oops wrong thread! Sorry! I thought I was posting on the SATC thread hahah

by Anonymousreply 22June 20, 2018 2:43 PM

R19 Right. To my knowledge no one is making fun of her for getting older. She is being ridiculed for being foolish.

by Anonymousreply 23June 20, 2018 4:31 PM

She is right to an extent. On DL, this thread, and many others you can see the fear of growing older in post after post. I guess younger posters think what older adults do is "not as good", "not as relevant" etc. even when they are only middle aged, never mind really old. And of course to them the idea of older people having sex and/or falling in love anew disgusts them. Think about it. Isn't that the kind of shit homophobes pull on us?

On the other hand, Madonna brings it on herself somewhat. She has had too much plastic surgery- and why? She's afraid of age as well. I have much more admiration for older actresses who minimize the surgery etc and just produce (Maggie Smith, Judi Dench, Steep, although she is not all that old). I actually think aging and losing her "powers" as happens to all of us- scares Madonna. She has a way to go, and hopefully she will understand that fear is what drives younger adult rejection of older adults.

I will be 65 shortly and I can assure you, I do not like it. On the other hand I am lucky to have made it. As you will all see if you too survive, aging is not for the faint of heart. And everyone resists it- being more forgetful, aches and pains; health issues related to wear and tear you never predicted; can't so the same activities and on and on. Resistance and acceptance- very hard to balance. On the other hand older adults have a lot to offer: experience.

Kindness is the anecdote. Kindness from the younger (wishful thinking?) and kindness toward ourselves. Kindness seems to be non existent on (in particular) anonymous and even non anonymous (Facebook) Internet platforms. I have a mantra that I say often throughout the day to keep me right side up (I sometimes change the order): love, kindness, patience, tolerance, empathy. I also remind myself to accept the world as it is, not as I want it to be. This last one is real hard in today's political world when I in fact work hard and use my money to try to do my part to shape the world as I think it should be- (consider our current President- who I will never accept).

It ain't simple and it ain't easy. There are posters who seem to get how hard life can be for the old. For others look around a bit more- watch an old lady or man struggle (alone) with things that you take for granted- watch old cats and dogs struggle. Take some time to chat with a really old adult about their life- it can be as wonderful as a good book or movie.

by Anonymousreply 24June 20, 2018 5:17 PM

Great post, r24.

by Anonymousreply 25June 21, 2018 9:48 AM

She would have more credibility if she weren’t fighting the aging the process with all the ferocity of someone battling cancer.

by Anonymousreply 26June 21, 2018 11:09 AM

She is ageist as well. She buys twenty something boyfriends rather than pursuing any relationship with a man twenty, let alone almost forty, years younger.

by Anonymousreply 27June 21, 2018 11:21 AM

Fuck off, Madge, you old cunt. lol

by Anonymousreply 28June 21, 2018 11:28 AM

Plastic surgery to look younger isn't ageism at best it's a response to ageism. R19 is a great example. He accuses Madonna of ageism because she had plastic surgery and then goes on to claim he does dress her age. Anyone else see the irony?

R24 - Kindness is the answer? Your description of aging leaves out employment discrimination which I don't think can be cured by kindness. It's illegal and like all discrimination it can be very difficult to prove. You sound fortunate in that you've don't mention any kind of discrimination that would cause you to lose your home. As we learned during the last great recession it was next to impossible for people over 50 to find work if they lost their jobs. Much harder than for those under 50.

R20 - wrong. Discrimination isn't determined over a life time. But rather moments in time and specific acts. If you are over 40 you are in a protected class.

by Anonymousreply 29June 21, 2018 7:07 PM

R29 ageism is real- but I was not addressing institutionalized ageism. My post is an appeal to prevent it- to identify it in yourself like any prejudice (and not act on it.) Ever notice how many coming of age romances (gay films, even the good ones) dominate. Not mature love stories, as if the only people who fall in love are young. My appeal is to look more closely around you to see what aging really is- and yes, to be kinder. Simple. Look closely, listen, and be kind- be quiet. You'll start to see things that you never noticed. Life does not end at 30, or any of the subsequent decades- and the accrued experience of survival can be awfully interesting. Certainly at least as interesting as falling in love for the first time as a young person.

by Anonymousreply 30June 21, 2018 8:11 PM

R30 - how does kindness address institutional discrimination of any form? Looking closely and being quiet doesn't pay the rent.

by Anonymousreply 31June 22, 2018 7:25 PM

Because her kids keep telling her MOM you are too OLD to show your butt every night in front of my friends.

by Anonymousreply 32June 22, 2018 7:27 PM

It isn't about right or wrong; might is right. Old people are worthless to society. Blacks fight our wars and gays act.

by Anonymousreply 33June 22, 2018 7:29 PM

Ageism is a real problem for people who are NOT madonna and I would respect her more if she brought light to the issue of ageism in the workplace. People getting laid off in their fifties and then being unemployed or underemployed without any real safety net is terrifying.

by Anonymousreply 34June 22, 2018 7:29 PM

Italians don't age well. Her being Italian through her dad's side. I am more interested in her having a straight, bi, lesbian, gay man caught in a woman's body and black girl from Pontiac, Michigan mind set. She must get confused what hat to wear on the dabce floor. Living on the Upper East side has killed her ability to produce any music of value. If her mom had lived we would not have to deal with this woman who will never go away.

by Anonymousreply 35June 22, 2018 7:46 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!