Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Joan Allen

The first few films I had seen her in (one of which was Peggy Sue Got Married) I thought she was frumpy. In later films she is really beautiful. Her bone structure and the shape of her skull is very unique. Like that of a praying mantis.

by Anonymousreply 50March 14, 2021 4:46 PM

I first really noticed her in The Upside of Anger

by Anonymousreply 1June 19, 2018 5:30 AM

"Mrs. Nixon is finished!"

by Anonymousreply 2June 19, 2018 5:39 AM

Isn't she a wing-nut?

by Anonymousreply 3June 19, 2018 5:48 AM

She used to be so beautiful -- swanlike and elegant - but has had the worst facelift in the history of humankind. When I saw her on Broadway in the Godawful IMPRESSIONISM, the audience gasped when she came on stage -- she looked so peculiar, almost equine.

by Anonymousreply 4June 19, 2018 6:15 AM

I loved her in Close Encounters.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5June 19, 2018 2:46 PM

Joan dealt coke on the side during her Steppenwolf days, and her coke connections helped her out when she got to Hollywood.

by Anonymousreply 6June 20, 2018 10:27 PM

Great under-rated actress who is Blanchett/Cotillard/Streep/Clo - se/Bassett talent-wise if not recognition. She also is superb at comedy and her best work in this was actually on SNL when she hosted in 1998. She played a humorless bindi-era Madge at the MTV awards and Martha Stewart's cold Beth Jarret-ish mother in another skit. You could tell that she was a great time doing the show.

by Anonymousreply 7June 21, 2018 7:08 PM

Yeah her facelift ruined her unique beauty.

by Anonymousreply 8June 21, 2018 7:21 PM

I think she's wonderful. I lived in Chicago when she was first on the scene, and would see her around, a lot. When I moved to NYC, she must have lived in my neighborhood -- UWS -- because i started to see her EVERYWHERE. At the movies. at the dry cleaners. at the diner. My ex and I sent her a fan note, via the box office of a theater where she was appearing , and she sent back the most charming, lovely, and sweet hand-written note back, along with the comment that we should say hello to her next time we saw her. That made me a fan for life.

by Anonymousreply 9June 21, 2018 7:22 PM

Pale, Stale, and Female.

by Anonymousreply 10June 21, 2018 8:41 PM

I worked with her in the theater years ago when she first came to NY. She was quite lovely, very low-key.

I heard that after The Heidi Chronicles she got tired of the grind of doing 8 shows a week and focused solely on film. Then she got older and the offers dried up as they do. Very sad as she's such a talented woman. Glad she found new happiness as the wife of director Tina Landau. And the theater will be richer now that's she come back and doing The Waverley Gallery on Broadway next season.

by Anonymousreply 11June 21, 2018 9:06 PM

I love that story, R9!

by Anonymousreply 12June 21, 2018 9:14 PM

Wait, R11 is Joan scissoring it up?

by Anonymousreply 13June 21, 2018 9:22 PM

I saw Joan Allen out at a nightclub in NY. The DJ put this track on which he dedicated to her (which is from her movie) and she got out on the floor and busted a move. I have to say she was a pretty good dancer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14June 22, 2018 12:23 AM

She has beautiful bone structure. I love her skull.

by Anonymousreply 15June 22, 2018 3:00 PM

Vintage gossip: “Allen, Joan. Former coke dealer and user before hitting Hollywood and making it big. Has been clean for a number of years now and is well-respected and generally seen as being a very nice woman.“

by Anonymousreply 16June 22, 2018 4:52 PM

Joan Allen.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17June 23, 2018 1:39 AM

It's a shame she ruined her face because she was aging well. She looks awful and her face is very distracting when you watch her act.

by Anonymousreply 18June 23, 2018 1:45 AM

R5, sorry that’s Benedict Cumberbatch.

by Anonymousreply 19June 23, 2018 1:53 AM

Where are all the photos of her new awful face? I can't find any.

by Anonymousreply 20June 23, 2018 2:39 AM

Joan Allen chose Joan Van Ark's surgeon.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21June 23, 2018 3:10 AM

She had a period in the nineties where she had a monopoly on frigid, disappointed wives, and a period a couple years ago where she kept losing children to kidnapping. This means she is not to be trusted as a wife or a mother, and thus should be a DataLounge icon.

by Anonymousreply 22June 23, 2018 3:25 AM

So careless. Whenever I lost a child, I fought long and hard to get it back.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23June 23, 2018 3:36 AM

Her work has relaxed a little bit. I saw her in something last year, blanking on what it was, some Stephen King adaptations n I thi k, she was good and the face was coming back some

by Anonymousreply 24June 23, 2018 3:49 AM

Actually, R21, she looks like Kristen Chenowith in that pic

by Anonymousreply 25June 23, 2018 12:01 PM

She should at least get rid of the lip-filler.

by Anonymousreply 26June 23, 2018 1:37 PM

What the fuck has she done to her face? Did she have a stroke or did she ask her plastic surgeon to make her look like that?

Such a pity. Her Pat Nixon was amazing, and she wowed me in The Contender. It's shameful that trash like Jessica Alba and Kat Hudson can get leading roles in major films and Joan has to settle playing fifth fiddle to Jason Statham in a film directed by the guy who made "Mortal Combat".

by Anonymousreply 27April 4, 2019 5:54 PM

Oh, OK - except for that ONE time involving that damned dingo . . .

by Anonymousreply 28April 5, 2019 4:58 AM

No such thing as "very unique," OP. Something either is unique or it isn't. No comparatives.

by Anonymousreply 29April 5, 2019 5:56 AM

Are Joan Allen and Tuna (sic) Landau actually married. Joan was robbed of a Tony nod this year - she's an astonishment.

by Anonymousreply 30May 5, 2019 11:20 PM

There's no evidence that Joan and Tina are married.

by Anonymousreply 31May 5, 2019 11:34 PM

Bump. Not for any nefarious reasons. I’m just watching some random movie on Amazon called “a good marriage” and Joan is in it. She looks good for an older gal. Lots of fillers. Still very slim.

by Anonymousreply 32May 9, 2020 11:32 PM

Movie I just cited is from 2014.

by Anonymousreply 33May 9, 2020 11:35 PM

She was great in the Bourne Ultimatum.

by Anonymousreply 34May 9, 2020 11:48 PM

Wait, is that really Joan in R21's photo?

by Anonymousreply 35May 10, 2020 12:04 AM

She played Nurse Ratched in college (I taught there about 5-7 years after that). I think that could have been brilliant--that beautiful, sculpted face (at age 20) in such a chilling role.

by Anonymousreply 36May 10, 2020 12:13 AM

R22 she would have made a great Kay Adams.

by Anonymousreply 37May 10, 2020 12:26 AM

I thought she should have received an Oscar nomination for Pleasantville. I bet she was in sixth or seventh place that year along with Lisa Kudrow (The Opposite of Sex).

by Anonymousreply 38May 10, 2020 12:30 AM

Oh yeah I forgot about Pleasantville. She was one of the best things about it.

by Anonymousreply 39May 10, 2020 12:35 AM

[quote]I think she's wonderful. I lived in Chicago when she was first on the scene, and would see her around, a lot. When I moved to NYC, she must have lived in my neighborhood -- UWS -- because i started to see her EVERYWHERE. At the movies. at the dry cleaners. at the diner. My ex and I sent her a fan note, via the box office of a theater where she was appearing , and she sent back the most charming, lovely, and sweet hand-written note back, along with the comment that we should say hello to her next time we saw her. That made me a fan for life.

Love this story. I also met her on the UWS years ago and she couldn't have been lovelier.

by Anonymousreply 40May 10, 2020 12:41 AM

R35 it also looks like Cameron Diaz.

by Anonymousreply 41March 10, 2021 8:33 PM

Joan Allen has the unique combiniation of looking like a kindly old grandmother and an incredibly sexy woman.

by Anonymousreply 42March 10, 2021 8:37 PM

Joan Allen has the unique combiniation of looking like a kindly old grandmother and an incredibly sexy woman.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43March 10, 2021 8:39 PM

She was really good in the final, third season of "The Killing." It's a shame hardly anybody watched it.

by Anonymousreply 44March 10, 2021 8:40 PM

Met her at the Broadway Cares Equity Fights AIDS Annual Flea Market. She was lovely. I have "The Contender" DVD for which she was nominated for Best Actress. and she signed "Pleasantville" for my friend.

by Anonymousreply 45March 10, 2021 10:22 PM

Just watched Pleasantville again for the first time in 20 years and WOW! I was reminded how stunning Joan Allen's performance is. Her face is so expressive and nuanced. Hollywood doesn't make actors like her anymore :-(

by Anonymousreply 46March 14, 2021 1:27 AM

She lacked the charm to become a major star. She’s gifted, but kind of needed more personality.

by Anonymousreply 47March 14, 2021 1:39 AM

I dont think she ever cared much about stardom and self-promotion. I once read an interview with her in which she described the academy awards ceremony as a night of business. She seemed to not enjoy the process very much.

by Anonymousreply 48March 14, 2021 8:08 AM

Her career was over once she made that film with Jessica Lange and Kathy Bates. Lange would have put her onto botox, fillers and hideous plastic surgery and poor Joan Allen couldn't get any work after that.

by Anonymousreply 49March 14, 2021 8:26 AM

R14 That must've been quite something to behold. I love that song.

by Anonymousreply 50March 14, 2021 4:46 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!