Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The Datalounge Glossary

“Honest Question” = “Caution, major trolling attempt ahead.”

by Anonymousreply 37June 19, 2018 6:36 AM

I've always found "MARY" to be intriguing and amusing but am unaware of any rules for its use.

by Anonymousreply 1June 18, 2018 6:04 PM

I'm a lifelong Democrat, BUT... = I'm a Deplorable

by Anonymousreply 2June 18, 2018 6:05 PM

Another vote for MARY.

Although that video featuring three elephants kind of made it a bit clearer for me.

by Anonymousreply 3June 18, 2018 6:11 PM

r1, Mary! Is pretty much a "You are such a gay geek!" / obsessed with something trivial like a classic TV / Broadway show, a minor celebrity, cooking, social etiquette, etc.

by Anonymousreply 4June 18, 2018 6:11 PM

You type fat = You sound like a fat frau / basement dwelling BITCH!

by Anonymousreply 5June 18, 2018 6:15 PM

The Nephew Troll = For your own safety slowly back away from this one (fits other trolls as well though - see: Erna).

by Anonymousreply 6June 18, 2018 6:18 PM

I had taken the "basement dwelling millennial" cliche to be nothing more than a Datalounge joke, but last night, in that Orange Shirt movie, Julian Morris played a veterinarian who lives in his grandmother's basement.

by Anonymousreply 7June 18, 2018 6:21 PM

Earrings & Caftans = Traditional garb of Dataloungers. It can also work as superhero disguise when one hears the alarm siren call of Judy Garland's Somewhere Over The Rainbow.

by Anonymousreply 8June 18, 2018 6:26 PM

R4 is a frau.

by Anonymousreply 9June 18, 2018 6:27 PM

"I am not the _____ troll, but ..." = "I *definitely am* the _____ troll."

by Anonymousreply 10June 18, 2018 6:32 PM

I eat old people's excrement.

by Anonymousreply 11June 18, 2018 6:36 PM

WWJD = What Would Joan Do

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12June 18, 2018 6:39 PM

"Mary!" = "You're a great big queen." It's as simple as that.

So cases where you might use "Mary!" as a valid response:

a) for whenever people wax purple in an attempt to sound lyrical or profound: e. g. "Truly 'The Ambassadors' is the most sun-lit of Henry James's novels"--> "Mary!"

b) someone describing how nelly & fussy they are (such as when they told someone off in a really gay way): e.g. "Then I told her that I was not accustomed to being subject to a saleswoman's lack of knowledge of colognes at Sak's, and that such service was simply unacceptable!"--> "Mary!"

c) if someone is trying to sound ridiculously butch and failing: "So I told my best brah he could spot me when I dead-lifted 350 lbs."--> "Mary!"

by Anonymousreply 13June 18, 2018 6:53 PM

The alternative to "Mary!" is, of course, "GURRRRRRRRL..."

They're pretty much interchangeable, but the latter is always always used when describing the attire or behavior or appearance of E.J. Johnson

by Anonymousreply 14June 18, 2018 6:55 PM

This is why we can't have nice things! = Prude, self loathing conservative

by Anonymousreply 15June 18, 2018 6:59 PM

When the man goes up in another man = anal intercourse

by Anonymousreply 16June 18, 2018 7:00 PM

That is why they hate us=In order to maintain the priveleges afforded by the closet, I will gladly give up all rights to being my honest self

by Anonymousreply 17June 18, 2018 7:03 PM

This is why Trump will be reelected in 2020 = I foolishly believe that by uttering these magic words I will shut down anyone speaking the truth.

by Anonymousreply 18June 18, 2018 7:06 PM

[quote]"Then I told her that I was not accustomed to being subject to a saleswoman's lack of knowledge of colognes at Sak's, and that such service was simply unacceptable!"--> "Mary!"

No true Mary! would type "Sak's" instead of "Saks."

by Anonymousreply 19June 18, 2018 7:26 PM

Hillary's Emails! / Benghazi! / Pantsuits! / Pizzagate!= Hillary Clinton is the Devil (Deplorable Speak)

by Anonymousreply 20June 18, 2018 7:28 PM

I am no ..., but ... = Oh boy, here we go *rollingeyes*

by Anonymousreply 21June 18, 2018 7:29 PM

The Radical Left = Right Wing trolls projecting their own radicalism onto others.

by Anonymousreply 22June 18, 2018 7:32 PM

(insert poster's reply number) Would someone please shit in my mouth? = I politely disagree with the poster.

by Anonymousreply 23June 18, 2018 7:34 PM

W&W, r13.

by Anonymousreply 24June 18, 2018 7:35 PM

“Mary” is not a DLism. Good god, how sheltered are some of you? It’s ancient gay slang (google polari) and it’s used exactly the same way heterosexual men use “dude.”

How is this hard to figure out?

by Anonymousreply 25June 18, 2018 7:43 PM

You had me until "dude," r25. Where I came out, New York in the '70s, "bitch" is gay for "dude."

by Anonymousreply 26June 18, 2018 7:45 PM

[quote][R1], Mary! Is pretty much a "You are such a gay geek!" / obsessed with something trivial like a classic TV / Broadway show, a minor celebrity, cooking, social etiquette, etc.

Actually, Frannie Frau, it’s a term of address for absolutely any male homosexual. It has nothing to do with geekdom (?) gay or otherwise, or even anything to do with that handy list of gay stereotypes that you included. A man who possesses or is currently displaying no stereotypically “gay” traits is still addressed or referred to as “Mary.” The point is usually to skewer the target’s sense of self-importance or seriousness, so it is often most effectively deployed against someone trying too hard to appear straight and/or butch.

So make a note of this and tape it to your computer as a handy reminder when pretending to be a gay man on Datalounge.

by Anonymousreply 27June 18, 2018 7:48 PM

“This is why Trump won” = I identify with Fascists.

by Anonymousreply 28June 18, 2018 7:50 PM

[quote] So make a note of this and tape it to your computer as a handy reminder when pretending to be a gay man on Datalounge.

I'll pee on your grave standing up and decorate your grave with scratched Janet Jackson records.

by Anonymousreply 29June 18, 2018 7:56 PM

[quote] “...asking for a friend.” = Asking for your own damn self.

by Anonymousreply 30June 19, 2018 1:18 AM

[quote] Moo!

Common Heifer greeting.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31June 19, 2018 1:20 AM

R27 - I don't think I've witnessed "Mary!" being effectively deployed. Here and out in the real world I take it to mean someone wants to talk but has little to nothing to contribute.

by Anonymousreply 32June 19, 2018 3:36 AM

Cagemeat = an imprisoned male who causes your mussy to start huffing like a blacksmith’s bellows

by Anonymousreply 33June 19, 2018 3:41 AM

J’accusé!

Used to accuse someone of something.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34June 19, 2018 3:52 AM

'Hot guy' - old, homely, hairy with a dad bod

by Anonymousreply 35June 19, 2018 4:08 AM

"I'd like him inside me deeply' - I'm 73 years old, and if it has a penis, and a breath, it could fuck me. But, that hasn't happened since 1985.

by Anonymousreply 36June 19, 2018 4:16 AM

Turnip = Trump.

by Anonymousreply 37June 19, 2018 6:36 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!