Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Macron Scolds Sassy Teen: "Call Me Mr. President!"

Like most politicians, French President Emmanuel Macron seems to enjoy pressing the flesh and posing for selfies when on public outings.

Just don't call him by a nickname.

A cheeky teen who dared greet him with a breezy "How's it going, Manu" during an official outing near Paris on Monday was left red-faced after receiving a sharp dressing-down from the 40-year-old centrist.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 163July 7, 2018 5:45 AM

Maybe the teenager wanted a spanking from daddy. Kind of like how Macron wanted a spanking from mommy/teacher.

by Anonymousreply 1June 18, 2018 5:11 PM

Full of his own self importance Macron is.

by Anonymousreply 2June 18, 2018 5:29 PM

Marine Le Pen would've put her cigarette out on that kid's forehead.

by Anonymousreply 3June 18, 2018 5:34 PM

Zut alors! Hot.

by Anonymousreply 4June 18, 2018 5:36 PM

He doesn't like cheeky teens. Competition for his wife's affections.

by Anonymousreply 5June 18, 2018 5:37 PM

Madame President!

by Anonymousreply 6June 18, 2018 6:10 PM

[quote]"Sorry, Mr President," the teenager said, looking abashed.

[quote]But Macron was not about to let matters rest there.

[quote]Admonishing the junior high school student, he said: "You're here, at an official ceremony and you should behave. You can play the fool but today it's the Marseillaise, the Chant des Partisans (French Resistance song), so you call me 'Mister President' or 'Sir'. Ok? There you go."

What a tool - he continues even AFTER the kid, a junior high school kid (12 or 13 years old?), apologized.

by Anonymousreply 7June 18, 2018 6:24 PM

r7 Let it go, gramps.

by Anonymousreply 8June 18, 2018 6:36 PM

Guess he's not as cool as Justin Trudeau.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9June 18, 2018 8:06 PM

MARY!!

by Anonymousreply 10June 18, 2018 8:35 PM

I imagine his rant ended like this.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11June 18, 2018 8:38 PM

R11 for Comment of the Day!

by Anonymousreply 12June 18, 2018 8:44 PM

Ok, well that seals it: Macron is the top.... Trudeau is the bottom.

by Anonymousreply 13June 18, 2018 8:45 PM

He's a prat but he's kind of a hot prat

by Anonymousreply 14June 18, 2018 8:47 PM

R14 He's a very hot prat. Behind the scenes, I bet he taunts you to try and dominate him.

by Anonymousreply 15June 18, 2018 8:50 PM

Here is the vo clip. He doesn't sound that bad. The tone is firm but mesured.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16June 19, 2018 1:34 AM

She’s a bigger schoolmarm than our own Senatrix!

by Anonymousreply 17June 19, 2018 1:36 AM

He has a lot of MARY moments.

by Anonymousreply 18June 19, 2018 2:09 AM

Joan would have approved.

by Anonymousreply 19June 19, 2018 2:14 AM

[quote]What a tool - he continues even AFTER the kid, a junior high school kid (12 or 13 years old?), apologized.

Yeah, that was over the top. He kept hectoring him for several minutes after that, in front of all those people. He seems like a very insecure wee man.

by Anonymousreply 20June 19, 2018 1:57 PM

Here's a tune for Mary! Macron:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21June 19, 2018 1:59 PM

Aww, the kids were excited... that was uncalled for, Manu!

by Anonymousreply 22June 19, 2018 2:00 PM

Eh, he seems perfectly reasonable to me. Brats today think they can get away with anything, and he IS the President, which demands a certain amount of respect. People need to teach their children to behave and yeah, he's got a good point in educating the child because clearly the parents haven't.

by Anonymousreply 23June 19, 2018 2:01 PM

The kid can call him whatever he wants - he likely didn't vote for him and he's not obliged to support him.

[quote] Macron's critics call Macron the "President of the Rich"

by Anonymousreply 24June 19, 2018 2:06 PM

Now R17, yet again bringing up Lindsey's loss of a proper coming out is just cruel and unnecessary here. He deserved to be properly shown like the rest of the tender, Magnolia debs of his circle.

by Anonymousreply 25June 19, 2018 2:12 PM

I bet Justin is allowed to call him Manu.

by Anonymousreply 26June 19, 2018 2:17 PM

There's such a thing as manners in polite society, and the kid clearly needed to be taught some.

by Anonymousreply 27June 19, 2018 2:19 PM

On the other hand, I'd love it if some kid at a Trump event just called him "Fuckface" to his face.

by Anonymousreply 28June 19, 2018 2:21 PM

Trump and Macron are so different though. Macron treats his office with some dignity (despite what you might think about his centrist politics). Trump treats it like a petulant child and doesn't deserve the respect the office requires - because he does not respect the office.

But either way kids need to learn some manners. No young kid would yell "FUCKFACE" to a President if they hadn't been told to do that by their parents, unless they were undisciplined monsters, in which case they deserve to be sent to Trump's salt mines.

by Anonymousreply 29June 19, 2018 2:24 PM

[quote] Admonishing the junior high school student, he said: "...so you call me 'Mister President' or 'Sir'. Ok?"

No, it's not OK! IT'S NOT OK !!! Gender pronouns like "Mister" and "Sir" are triggering and offensive! Only "xe", "they" and personal names like "Macron" / "Manu" are allowed!

---Transport for London, which now officially banned the word "sir" on the London underground (subway).

[quote] Mayor of London Sadiq Khan backed the plan, which follows months of campaigning to make “outdated” phrases more gender neutral. Campaigners said words such as "sir" and "madam" belong to yesterday and can cause “great distress”.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30June 19, 2018 2:27 PM

I'd call Macron whatever he wanted, while I was on my knees

by Anonymousreply 31June 19, 2018 2:29 PM

Cheese-eating surrender monkey! 🐵🙈🙉🙊🐒

Does that form of address sound better, Macron?

by Anonymousreply 32June 19, 2018 2:35 PM

Mr President.

You got it!

by Anonymousreply 33June 19, 2018 2:36 PM

Frog-eater! 🐸

How about that one, Macron? Sound better?

by Anonymousreply 34June 19, 2018 2:39 PM

“I’ll call you what you want, but that’ll cost you extra!”

— The teen rentboy replied to Macron

by Anonymousreply 35June 19, 2018 2:45 PM

"Yeah, that was over the top. He kept hectoring him for several minutes after that"

several minutes? except the whole clip is barely a minute.

he was WELL within his right to dress this kid down. I might add the little cheeky fuck looks like a burgeoning hipster douchebag anyway. good that he learns some manners in the presence of a head of state.

also, let us not forget - this is THE FRENCH. they are arch about decorum as a culture. all of this "he's not Trudeau!!!" is stating the obvious and wholly missing the point at the same time.

by Anonymousreply 36June 19, 2018 2:49 PM

Did the teen then sing Macron a sultry, boozed-up "Happy Birthday, Mr. President" song?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37June 19, 2018 3:06 PM

I think he meant - Call Me Mademoiselle President!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38June 19, 2018 3:08 PM

No wonder he's so hated. Remember all that embarrassing talk of a Jupiterian presidency? This man has a Napoleon complex.

God, when is his gay sex scandal with Mathieu Gallet going to come up again?

by Anonymousreply 39June 19, 2018 3:12 PM

I bet Macron went full-on perv mode later and told the teen: "But in private you can Call Me By Your Name", while rubbing sun lotion on his back.

Was the teen peeling a peach by chance? 🍑

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40June 19, 2018 3:16 PM

Good for macron. If this were the US he would be pressured to treat this as the most adorable thing ever and the brat would be invited to guest star on snl or something. I believe half of our current problems on college campuses stem from the infantilization of young people.

by Anonymousreply 41June 19, 2018 3:22 PM

Bingo, R39. Macron is indeed widely known for having a Napoloenic complex and superiority delusions - even more pronounced than Sarkozy. They're power- and status-obsessed straight guys who like to sit on a pedestal and think the sun shines out of their asses.

by Anonymousreply 42June 19, 2018 3:26 PM

He seems perfectly reasonable to me. You guys seem to have opinions otherwise though.

by Anonymousreply 43June 19, 2018 3:45 PM

I would expect Obama to say something similar if I called him Barry on the street

by Anonymousreply 44June 19, 2018 3:51 PM

Mon dieu! Quelle frommage!

by Anonymousreply 45June 19, 2018 3:51 PM

[quote]They're power- and status-obsessed straight guys

Um, no. Macron is not straight. Please, do you think a guy like him would settle for a woman who's twice his age and looks like a little Brazilian monkey? He was outed last year for having had a relationship with Mathieu Gallet - outed by a prestigious outlet, that successfully outed other French politicians before as gay.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46June 19, 2018 3:55 PM

It was the exact correct response to such familiarity.

by Anonymousreply 47June 19, 2018 3:57 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48June 19, 2018 4:03 PM

That's one gay looking breed of monkey, r46.

by Anonymousreply 49June 19, 2018 4:08 PM

How largth ith hith thcock?

by Anonymousreply 50June 19, 2018 4:09 PM

Kid in white shirt looks a bit like Tye Sheridan.

by Anonymousreply 51June 19, 2018 4:18 PM

Did you see in the video how the kid was swarmed by press who had been waiting for Macron to move on? He will be the next YouTube-Tiger Beat star.

by Anonymousreply 52June 19, 2018 4:23 PM

"Such familiarity?" Ahahaha! Y'all don't know Macron, do you?

Before scolding a non-offensive teen for not referring to him as “Sir”, Macron better clean up his own act.

Just recently (in May this year), he called the Australian Prime Minister’s wife “delicious” (in English) in a globally broadcast event. Macron basically fucked up, because he meant “delightful”. He doesn’t know English well enough, but he’s too vain to admit it so he refused to use a translator or speech writer. As a result, he created this embarrassing, cringe-worthy, hilarious PR fail moment for himself.

Or at least that's what he claimed after. I personally think it was a Freudian slip! The Australian PM's wife is 60 years old - so she's right up Macron's street! And you just know he secretly thinks she's "delicious".

Talk about lack of decorum! LOL

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53June 19, 2018 4:23 PM

r53 you're right, that one mistake justifies treating people like assholes.

by Anonymousreply 54June 19, 2018 4:33 PM

"Call me MISS Ross! er... I mean... Appellez-moi MONSIEUR PRESIDENT!"

by Anonymousreply 55June 19, 2018 4:33 PM

Thank you for the delicious wife post R53, we all needed a reminder.

by Anonymousreply 56June 19, 2018 4:34 PM

This guy is uncool as fuck, now that he's not campaigning anymore he's free to let it fly. We won't have to vote in 2022 anyway, he'll make sure there's some sort of "state emergency" that keeps him and his pretty boys in power no matter what.

by Anonymousreply 57June 19, 2018 4:35 PM

Macron a déclaré ses limites!

by Anonymousreply 58June 19, 2018 4:41 PM

R46 is correct.

by Anonymousreply 59June 19, 2018 4:47 PM

This could be the plot to a new Cadinot film.

by Anonymousreply 60June 19, 2018 4:52 PM

Pardon, R54? Not sure I follow. I was just pointing out Macron's hypocrisy.

Macron told the kid: [bold]"You can play the FOOL" ... "“The day you want to start a REVOLUTION[/bold] you study first in order to obtain a degree and feed yourself, ok? [bold]And then you can LECTURE OTHERS”[/bold].

Well, maybe Macron shouldn't "lecture others" on small things (and in such an aggressive, insulting manner too, calling them "fools" and talking rubbish about the "revolution") - when he himself makes even more stupid mistakes.

The kid apologised immediately (for a very minor thing, just using a nickname) and that should've been the end of it. But, nooo, Mademoiselle Macron sees a golden opportunity (a young, deferential audience) to puff out his chest and have a dig at the kid, embarrassing him on camera, and make more digs at left-wing voters too (again, at the kid's expense). At the same time, Macron tries to big himself, by putting down the kid and by referring to "degrees". But in the modern world a "degree" is often not a guarantee or proof of anything! A degree is not even always necessary to be successful in life. He's up his own ass and a total elitist hypocrite.

by Anonymousreply 61June 19, 2018 5:00 PM

I'm not surprised that Macron corrected the teen in that way. In fact I'm surprised that the frogling was so familiar in the first place. Even today, French society tends toward formality, especially in public. In some parts of France it is perfectly normal even for young children to be formal with older children if they aren't close family or friends. This is reinforced by the language, which preserves distinct tutoyer (familiar) and vouvoyer (formal) registers in written and spoken French.

I dont like Macron and my politics are distinctly to the left of his, but I can't fault him for this. Well, apart from his persistent Frenchness.

by Anonymousreply 62June 19, 2018 5:02 PM

I call him Manu when I'm breathing in his ear and breeding that tight little French pucker, oui.

by Anonymousreply 63June 19, 2018 5:05 PM

R62, most foreign languages have formal and familiar registers (French, German, Polish, etc). English is one of the few exceptions. But I've never seen e.g. Merkel put down a kid like that by calling him a "fool" for a minor infraction. And then go off on an elitist tirade about how people with "degrees" are somehow more worthy.

This whole incident says more about Macron (he seems to be having some 'issues', has a short temper and likes to rant) than it does about the kid. I think Macron was carrying a lot of negative mental baggage that day, the kid unfortunately got in his way, and Macron blew off his steam on the kid.

by Anonymousreply 64June 19, 2018 5:11 PM

Macron came out as a bossy bottom with that rant.

by Anonymousreply 65June 19, 2018 5:14 PM

Merkel probably would not but I would expect most other world leaders, including ones I like like Obama or even David Cameron to say the same things Macron did

by Anonymousreply 66June 19, 2018 5:18 PM

Jokers repeatedly said "Hi, Dave" and "Hey, Dave" to David Cameron and he never went into a prissy rant like Macron did here. Some people can take a joke.

by Anonymousreply 67June 19, 2018 5:21 PM

Maybe it's just differences in how people are raised. I was taught to always address my elders respectfully, so the idea of someone scolding a teen who isn't doing that doesn't seem at all weird to me

by Anonymousreply 68June 19, 2018 5:23 PM

Obama is not a fair comparison because he's hated 'Barry' since he was a kid and no one, not even his family, call him that. But I don't think he'd get offended if someone said, Whassup Barack?

by Anonymousreply 69June 19, 2018 5:29 PM

It's because they don't teach manners to children anymore. They are all horrid little shits

by Anonymousreply 70June 19, 2018 5:57 PM

French leaders, unsurprisingly, always have trouble with being too arrogant.

I would bet he will have to backpedal on this one, though. It was too snotty.

by Anonymousreply 71June 19, 2018 6:24 PM

R69, I agree. Obama isn’t an insecure little twat, so he wouldn’t lose his shit over something like this.

by Anonymousreply 72June 19, 2018 6:49 PM

[quote]French leaders, unsurprisingly, always have trouble with being too arrogant. I would bet he will have to backpedal on this one, though. It was too snotty.

The French language has formal and informal speech.

A young person speaks to an older person that they don't know, in the formal. Not doing so is very rude.

And you certainly don't call them by nicknames.

Macron was right in correcting her. As would any adult.

Most French will agree with him on this.

by Anonymousreply 73June 19, 2018 8:53 PM

FUCK ME MANU!

by Anonymousreply 74June 19, 2018 8:57 PM

I can picture Le Beau Mec Manu & La Belle Jussy, having a drag face off, a la Paris Is Burning.

by Anonymousreply 75June 19, 2018 9:05 PM

R64 having now rtfa, I agree that Macron was way over the top in his response. I guess I was just surprised that the situation arose in the first place. It would be like an Englishman responding to 'Would you like a cup of tea?' with the answer 'No.'

Quite happy to hate on Macron, he's always been an elitist cunt.

by Anonymousreply 76June 19, 2018 9:30 PM

But he's so damn pretty

by Anonymousreply 77June 19, 2018 9:35 PM

He's sick in the head with ugly dolphin teeth. Calling him a centrist when he's a raging neoliberal cunt is fake news.

by Anonymousreply 78June 19, 2018 9:46 PM

Good for Macron. He taught the young man to respect the office of the president and to honor the occasion. Incivility has given us Trump. Macron did not lecture him. He explained it to him. at the end the president clasped the young man's hand in a gesture reminiscent of a good parent or teacher. It reminded me of McCain admonishing the woman who thought Obama was a bad man in 2008.

Respect and civility are sorely needed today.

by Anonymousreply 79June 19, 2018 9:47 PM

[quote]Good for Macron. He taught the young man to respect the office of the president and to honor the occasion

Please. Read up on Robespierre. When the revolution again comes to France, that boy will be the one leading Macron to the guillotine. And he will make sure that the blade will be rusted so it hurts more.

by Anonymousreply 80June 19, 2018 9:49 PM

And again, im reminded that DL is rife with the mentally ill

by Anonymousreply 81June 19, 2018 9:50 PM

Clash of cultures. I don't think any French, even the anti-Macron, are offended at all. I bet no one over there saw it as an agression or a put-down. Dressing-down from adult directed to children is in the mores. Children are used to it. In this case, it was firm but not unkind.

No one mentions it, but Macron kept talking about how the kid should work hard to be an example, to reach excellence.

Also, for a lot of Europeans "elitism" means becoming the best because you work hard. It is percieved as a good thing, an ideal to aspire to.

"Being the best of the class because you study" percieved as arrogant or something to deride is an American point of view.(Although I know this point of view is not shared by all Americans, I know it exists)

Clash of cultures in this thread. No big deal.

Now, what do you think Macron really thinks of Trump being late at a G7 meeting ?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82June 19, 2018 11:18 PM

If the French didn't think anything of this exchange, why is it news in France?

by Anonymousreply 83June 19, 2018 11:29 PM

It is big news. Many consider Manu to be President of the rich. People are already saying he spends too much time abroad and isn't interested in day-to-day issues in France.

by Anonymousreply 84June 19, 2018 11:31 PM

Right-- so r82 is a typical American projecting Noble Values onto the French.

by Anonymousreply 85June 19, 2018 11:34 PM

The child was rude, but of course these days manners and etiquette are considered to be obsolete. The child's parents should have taught him better and perhaps they did.

by Anonymousreply 86June 19, 2018 11:38 PM

I just want him to call me his bitch!

by Anonymousreply 87June 19, 2018 11:39 PM

Still better than Marine "Ilsa the She Nazi" Le Pen.

by Anonymousreply 88June 19, 2018 11:44 PM

The President of the Rich noise is one part typical French far left grousing, one part Russian trolls hard at work.

by Anonymousreply 89June 20, 2018 12:05 AM

[quote]one part Russian trolls hard at work.

DON'T LOOK AT WHAT I'M DOING, LOOK AT RUSSIA!

by Anonymousreply 90June 20, 2018 12:10 AM

R83, it is news, but I don't think they are scandalized like some are on this thread.

by Anonymousreply 91June 20, 2018 1:20 AM

Yes, DL is high on the list of Russian troll farms.

by Anonymousreply 92June 20, 2018 1:27 AM

Trump: "Call me President*"

by Anonymousreply 93June 20, 2018 1:28 AM

Beyond the entitlement displayed by his demand that he be bowed down to, the little dweeb went on a rant for at least a minute full of tangential BS about getting a college degree. WTF? I guess you are not allowed to talk to His Highness without a college degree. I would love to spit in the brat (EM)'s face.

by Anonymousreply 94June 20, 2018 1:52 AM

No R94. He encouraged the kid to keep studying, to better himself in life. It doesn't mean that a person without a degree doesn't have the right to speak to the president, and you know it.

There might have been a bit of ageism. I find that I don't mind that.

by Anonymousreply 95June 20, 2018 2:12 AM

Little man syndrome. Just like Sarkozy before him. The French seem very prone to that as so many of their leaders tend to be short. That was such a nasty, self-important rant. The kid is a socialist, by the way, and just before he was singing the first bars of their anthem just before.

by Anonymousreply 96June 20, 2018 2:48 AM

Macron has turned out to be an insufferable and insecure little cunt. Trudeau is nice enough, but dumb and desperate to be liked. Only Obama maintained the intelligent and cool guy image. I can't imagine the other two sitting down to a meal in a low-end Vietnamese eatery like Obama did with Anthony Bourdain.

by Anonymousreply 97June 20, 2018 2:53 AM

R96 is an anthem for Communists not Socialists. Or at least, not Socialists in France. There is also an historic aspect to it.

What you say about the short leaders however, I can hardly protest!

by Anonymousreply 98June 20, 2018 2:54 AM

r97 that is exactly how he was on the campaign trail. he's never worked an honest day in his life. everything's been served to him on a platter, including the presidential election.

by Anonymousreply 99June 20, 2018 3:08 AM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 100June 20, 2018 3:17 AM

Macron full of his own self importance but always defended by those 70 year old Datalounge Queens who long to lose their virginity if only in their imagination.

by Anonymousreply 101June 20, 2018 3:43 AM

“I hate deez DL beetches...”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 102June 20, 2018 4:12 AM

There was no teen sassier than Manu!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 103June 20, 2018 4:17 AM

Lady MARY!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 104June 20, 2018 4:21 AM

“Zeez eez not funny.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 105June 20, 2018 4:37 AM

Rêveur!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 106June 20, 2018 4:51 AM

what is with the gap in those front teeth?

by Anonymousreply 107June 20, 2018 4:51 AM

you could drive a dump truck between those teeth

by Anonymousreply 108June 20, 2018 4:56 AM

Gapped for your pleasure.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 109June 20, 2018 5:07 AM

r109 that gif screams "MANU"!

by Anonymousreply 110June 20, 2018 5:11 AM

I want to give Theresa May an Emmy for the r102 GIF. I expect her to spin around and march right into an empty elevator shaft, à la Rosalind Shays.

by Anonymousreply 111June 20, 2018 5:23 AM

That security agent on the far left in R102 is hot as fuck!

by Anonymousreply 112June 20, 2018 6:51 AM

What he said was fine. Good God, people want to get their panties in a wad over nothing.

by Anonymousreply 113June 20, 2018 11:42 AM

[quote]what is with the gap in those front teeth?

Manu needs a grill!

by Anonymousreply 114June 20, 2018 12:42 PM

[quote] Macron did not lecture him. He explained it to him. At the end the president clasped the young man's hand in a gesture reminiscent of a good parent or teacher.

Ok, R79. I'll use Macron’s insulting way of ‘explaining’ things: “You’re a FOOL, R79. Go get a degree before you start a Revolution, ok?”.

Now let me clasp your hand, R79, in a half-hearted handshake - after all, there are French press cameras all around us! I just realised that by calling you a "Fool" I made a public hissy-fit scene, so I need to backtrack quickly to save face for PR purposes. So shake and smile, shake and smile!

by Anonymousreply 115June 20, 2018 1:22 PM

[quote] Respect and civility are sorely needed today.

Joking at a politician (whose policies you do not agree with) is a form of light civil disobedience.

You are not supposed to “respect” every politician.

Being told to bow down before and “respect” every politician just because someone else voted him in as “president” is actually a bit totalitarian.

People are free to joke and call a politician anything they want (as long as it’s not violent). That’s called freedom of speech.

by Anonymousreply 116June 20, 2018 1:25 PM

Theresa May is giving classic Dame Maggie Smith vibes at r102. She looks like she can barely keep herself from saying something to take Manu down a peg. Power Frau Merkel is equally unimpressed by the French twerp.

by Anonymousreply 117June 20, 2018 1:30 PM

Manu has nothing on a lot you old biddies in the schoolmarm department.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 118June 20, 2018 4:24 PM

This incident wasn’t really about a Younger Man vs an Older Man. It wasn’t so much a clash of “manners”, but more [bold]a clash of political views[/bold].

If you listen carefully to Macron’s rant – it’s a stand-off between a Left-winger Vs. a Right-winger (Macron pretends to be a Centrist, but he's not one). The teen & his group appear to be more pro-working class, whereas Macron is more pro-upper class (e.g. he cut taxes for the very rich & corporations, a bit similar to Trump).

So the younger guys are understandably having a light go at Macron in a joking manner, by calling him a silly nickname (intentionally) and singing a Left-wing song directed at him. That doesn’t necessarily mean those guys are actual socialists, they could be centrists who don’t agree with Macron’s tax cuts for the wealthy. So they’re having a laugh at Macron, possibly even trying to rile him up a bit. But Macron, being the over-emotional, easily-triggered Diva that he is, falls for it and overreacts – he starts ranting at them, even referencing some future “Revolution”. And all this drama over a silly nickname joke?

His comment (‘go get a degree first before you talk to me’) can be seen as an elitist dig at lower working-class people, many of whom (e.g. drivers, waiters, other manual workers, even many actors) don’t have a degree. This is the usual elitist viewpoint: they believe many lower working-class people are moochers who just live off benefits, whereas richer people (like Macron, who was an investment banker) have fancy ‘degrees’ and are supposedly more ‘hard-working’.

So your age doesn’t matter to Macron, it’s your politics that matter. If any Eldergays (even those pushing 80) approached Macron at a rally and made a left-wing / centrist criticism or joke about him – he’d likely burst into an overly defensive rant against them too, calling ’em “fools”. And he’d possibly tell even old-timers & octogenarians to ‘go back to school / college and earn a proper degree before lecturing him’ (if you’re less rich than him).

Macron admittedly has a very prestigious education – but he likes to remind everyone (young & old) about it. He’s so full of himself that it’s exhausting. Typical rich, Ivy League-type investment banker (he used to work for Rothschild bank).

by Anonymousreply 119June 20, 2018 4:39 PM

Macron may not be the Left’s dream date, but you better protect him and other leaders like Merkel and Trudeau who will fight against illiberalism in Western countries. Seriously...democracy is in peril and there’s little room for tearing down liberal leaders.

And the US obviously won’t be there to help since we’re being successfully attacked every damned day.

by Anonymousreply 120June 20, 2018 5:53 PM

He's not a liberal and is doing nothing to protect democracy in "Western countries." He is relentless in his attacks on working people and is one of the biggest boosters of the Israel apartheid regime outside of the U.S. Merkel and her coalition partners keep doing worse and worse in their elections but somehow still end up running things, hardly a democratic icon.

by Anonymousreply 121June 20, 2018 6:02 PM

He loudly speaks against the denigration of minorities and the spread of hate, supports strong environmental policies, believes in global cooperation rather than needless competition, etc. Macron is an easy choice. I would vote for him over a regular conservative, he didn't even have to run against a literal Nazi

by Anonymousreply 122June 20, 2018 6:07 PM

Oh, these cheeky teenage boys! I remember when Emmanuel was just like this.

by Anonymousreply 123June 20, 2018 6:08 PM

R121, of course I’m talking about liberalism in the democratic world sense. What country are you from?

by Anonymousreply 124June 20, 2018 6:14 PM

[quote]People are free to joke and call a politician anything they want (as long as it’s not violent). That’s called freedom of speech.

Europeans don't understand, or care about, that. They only care about free speech when it's time to attack Islam.

Cursing the President, parodying Christianity, boycotting Israel -- there are laws and court decisions all over the EU banning citizens from doing any of those things, but Europeans don't care.

Now, if you talk about the "right" to rip a hijab out of a Muslim woman, then they'll care.

by Anonymousreply 125June 20, 2018 7:35 PM

R62 is correct. The french kid needs to respect his culture, which is formal in public discourse. Also the french have been resisting for decades Americanisation in any way as well as English as a lingua franca, and they should continue this fight, à mon avis.

by Anonymousreply 126June 20, 2018 7:54 PM

Do people need to respect a culture just because they grew up in it? Should Saudi women just respect their country's car culture as well? Should gay people the world over not engage in PDA because that's not part of any country's culture?

by Anonymousreply 127June 20, 2018 7:57 PM

R126, so why doesn't Macron follow "formal culture in public discourse" and refer to the younger audience member as "tous" ("you") instead of cat-calling him as "a Fool", like a petulant child himself? Does "you're a fool" translate as "tous" in French? I don't think so.

Macron does not practise what he preaches.

by Anonymousreply 128June 20, 2018 8:06 PM

[quote]"tous" ("you")

* tu

Otherwise, I agree.

by Anonymousreply 129June 20, 2018 8:13 PM

Probably how his wife talks to him. Dude married his teacher older than his mother. What is the age difference. 30 years? When he is 65 she will be 95....That can't be easy and on top of running France with all the homeless camps. He should have high fived the kid and got his picture taken. Friendly Innocence met with little p.p. arrogance.

by Anonymousreply 130June 20, 2018 8:13 PM

Macron is a mixed bag, R120, R122. He positions himself as a Centrist (a bit like Tony Blair did). But AFAIK the majority of his reforms and statements were more right-wing. I wouldn't call him a "liberal", more like a staunch neo-conservative who throws a bone to the working class from time to time.

[quote] "Macron’s policies aiding the rich – the latest example being his plan to abolish the “exit tax”, which was introduced in 2011 to combat tax evasion among French businesses.

[quote] [bold]And there is his declaration – made in a speech at a conference of French Catholic bishops – that he regretted that “the link between church and state has been damaged”[/bold] (France’s form of stringent secularism, known as laïcité, is seen as a cornerstone of the nation’s republican identity; the Catholic Church, meanwhile, has historically been regarded as a reactionary force in French politics). On all these issues, Macron has sent strong signals to the right.

[quote] An IPSOS poll for French daily Le Monde published on April 6 has shown a change in France’s perception of the ideological position of Macron’s La République En Marche (LREM) party. [bold]Whereas only 33% defined LREM as right-wing in 2017, 50% now do.[/bold]"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 131June 20, 2018 8:18 PM

R126, are you for real? Have you ever been to France? Their public discourse is not all about formalities and being nice and proper. Being rude to public officials wasn't invented by Americans either.

by Anonymousreply 132June 20, 2018 9:06 PM

[quote]I wouldn't call him a "liberal", more like a staunch neo-conservative who throws a bone to the working class from time to time.

Yes, he’s a liberal in the global sense. Maybe not in your local politics, but in the free world sense. Many, many politicians in the West are not so much, now. We are in real danger.

Also, you could argue he’s a neoliberal or a neoconservative. More time and evidence is needed, but he does seem to be interventional (though he doesn’t express that nasty desire to nation build).

He’s only one year in of five. He said he would do the hardest, most unpopular reforms first. Smart. I wish Obama had come in strong in his first two years when he had a mandate and the numbers.

by Anonymousreply 133June 20, 2018 9:10 PM

I am sure when Louis was guillotined all the proper titles were used.

by Anonymousreply 134June 20, 2018 9:10 PM

He reminds me of Tony Blair, which makes me dislike him.

by Anonymousreply 135June 20, 2018 9:10 PM

R131, thank you, btw, for being civil and posting with thought and calm.

by Anonymousreply 136June 20, 2018 9:21 PM

There is a translation problem I would like to address. He doesn't call the teenager a"fool".

He used the verb "faire l'imbécile " = "to fool around".

Essentially, he said "You can fool around (all other days), but today is about La Marseillaise and honoring the Resistants who bled for the Country".

To state he called the kid a fool is either very dishonest... or an honest but unfortunate translation mistake.

by Anonymousreply 137June 21, 2018 12:54 AM

Correct, r137. It included a 95-year-old Resistance veteran receiving the highest order. This is a very special anniversary (and very relevant now).

I’ve heard people yelling to him by his first name and diminutive before and he was quite friendly. I think it was a combination of situation and teenagers being annoying, in general.

However, it’s not the first time he’s said too much. He loves to hear himself talk.

by Anonymousreply 138June 21, 2018 1:05 AM

R137, every big news outlet (CNN, The Guardian, Time, etc) translated it as "You can play the fool" (not "fool around"). In English there's a difference there (the former is more insulting).

And what does the Resistance have to do with Macron? Was he there, fighting alongside them? No. He's an ex-investment banker - he didn't even serve in the military. One can honour the Resistance, while not having to bow down to Macron.

And did the younger men even say anything against the Resistance? It doesn't seem so.

Btw, in terms of the military and "bleeding for your country", Macron is such a hypocrite and a bit of a coward. He didn't serve himself - but he wants to make other people (like those younger men) serve in the military. He even insisted that he'd prefer it to be compulsory service.

[quote] "Macron, 40, is the first French president not to have been called up to serve in the army.

[quote] The French government is grappling with how to honour Emmanuel Macron’s controversial election promise to reintroduce compulsory military service for young people. ... France’s president said this week that his new “universal national service” would include an obligatory period of between three and six months for all young people, who would take part either in the military or in a form of civic service."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 139June 21, 2018 1:40 AM

R139, I stand by my translation. It is my language ... But don't take my word for it, ses the link.

The whistling of l'Internationale was a predictable teenage way to be rebellious against what appeared as a stuffy, boring , conformist ceremony to the young man.

The older man reminded him it was a ceremony for survivors who did a lot for their country.

What the teenager did is no big deal.

What Macron did is no big deal.

Let' move on.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 140June 21, 2018 1:57 AM

mmanuel didn’t even have time to process what was going on before Justin pushed him against the wall, his lips crashing onto Emmanuel’s. Justin’s hands held Emmanuel’s face as the French circled his hips and then slid his hands further down. Justin moaned into the kiss, taking it as an invitation to slowly thrust his hips against Emmanuel’s, his actions finally causing some sweet friction. They started taking off each other's clothes quickly until they were both skin against skin.

“I love you. I’m sorry I was so impatient, but you looked so good… I love you.”

“I love you, too. You’ve really been quite eager to leave the dinner.”

“You spent the night with Donald Trump, I thought it was only fair to save you.”

“Right…”

“I’m going to fuck you so hard, Manu.”

Emmanuel groaned as soon as he realised just how much Justin had lost control throughout the evening. It wasn’t too often that Justin used his skills in dirty talk with him, those were a fundamental part of their late night/early morning phone calls, not when they were face-to-face.

“You’ll remember tonight for a long, long time. More than Taormina, more than the first night in Paris.”

“More than the first night in Paris?” Emmanuel smirked up at Justin, shaking his head. “I need to walk around the convention centre tomorrow.”

“I don’t care, I want you to feel me for a week. I want you to know that even when I’m gone, I’m always with you.” With that, Justin picked Emmanuel up and took him to the bed. It was one of Emmanuel's favourite things, having Justin's strong arms cup his backside as he was carried around. It made him feel safe.

Justin grabbed the lube and uncapped it quickly. He buried two fingers inside Emmanuel right away, who wasn’t expecting that amount of stretch. The French threw his head back and moaned, squeezing Justin’s arm.

“Too much?”

“Fuck – no, no! Go on.”

“See? You need to feel me just as much.”

by Anonymousreply 141June 21, 2018 2:01 AM

r140 that's not what Manu was lecturing the boy about. he was going on and on about how he should be called Mr. President and the teen needs a college degree before opening his mouth.

by Anonymousreply 142June 21, 2018 2:02 AM

R142, thank you, you beat me to it.

R140, if what the teenager did was "no big deal" (I agree with you there) - then why did Macron start a tangential rant at him, saying 'go get a degree before you lecture others'?

What did the younger man even "lecture" Macron about? It seems that was just in Macron's head.

by Anonymousreply 143June 21, 2018 2:09 AM

He did both, R142. Did you watch the whole video ?

You seem to be lacking several information and with the few elements you have, to have built a parrallel story that got you very indignant (for nothing, or not very much).

You also seem to want to have the last word.

R141, this is hilarious !

by Anonymousreply 144June 21, 2018 2:11 AM

R144, this is a forum, it's about continuous discussion (comment-reply, potentially ad infinitum), not about "having the last word".

So what did the younger man "lecture" Macron about? Macron seemed very "indignant" over that "lecture" that the younger man supposedly gave him.

by Anonymousreply 145June 21, 2018 2:17 AM

Imagine what he'd do if his grand-niece touched his Avon perfume bottle collection!

by Anonymousreply 146June 21, 2018 2:20 AM

[quote]He used the verb "faire l'imbécile " = "to fool around".

In American, it's more like "to act a fool". French is about context and that's what he meant.

by Anonymousreply 147June 21, 2018 2:25 AM

R146 Thank you. I Had a bad night and you made me laugh.

by Anonymousreply 148June 21, 2018 2:45 AM

Avon?! Mais non!

DIOR, mon cher. Zut fucking alors.

by Anonymousreply 149June 21, 2018 3:22 AM

The French should've voted for Jean-Luc Mélenchon, their Bernie Sanders. At this rate, Macron will very likely be a one-term president.

[quote]He’s only one year in of five. He said he would do the hardest, most unpopular reforms first. Smart. I wish Obama had come in strong in his first two years when he had a mandate and the numbers.

It's exactly what he did with Obamacare and I think even he underestimated the backlash.

by Anonymousreply 150June 22, 2018 4:12 AM

But does Macron really hate nicknames or informality? Mr President can be very familiar with his staff: they affectionately call him “le boss”. He says “tu”, the informal French “you” to many politicians, including Vladimir Putin. As a young minister, Macron would to colleagues with the catchphrase: “Salut ma poule, c’est Manu” (“Hey, love, it’s Manu”). Macron can be “Manu”, but only when he decides so.

On 14 May 2017, “Manu” became Mr President. In a little over a year as president, Macron has demonstrated his love for power symbolism, of which formal address is an essential part. After a general spoke publicly of his dissatisfaction at the army’s share of the budget last year, Macron bluntly reminded French troops that he was their “boss”.

But the teenager’s dressing-down comes as the president himself has been criticised for using insensitive language: in the past, he has called , protesters against his labour law reforms , and has said that employees fired from a company should look for a job instead of (“foutre le bordel”, a coarse expression best translated as “making a fucking mess”). Just last week, he was filmed complaining that the French welfare state costs a . (Each time, Mr President admitted his words had been blunt, but stood by his remarks.)

During his visit to the US in April, he : “You don’t always have to follow the rules. That’s bullshit!” Yet the rules, apparently, still apply if you are French.

Macron campaigned on a young and ostensibly “cool” platform – his team, full of 20-somethings, ruled social media and were all fluent in English. Now, as president, Macron has cut housing aid for students, made university selective, and lectured youngsters on how to address him. The double standard is confusing to young people: are they to think he is an accessible president they can address as “tu”, or is he as strict and close-minded as previous ones? Does he want a “startup nation”, or is he too attached to ancient institutions?

The teen, who was attending with his friends, was breezy and provocative. But he is just a kid – a kid who looked genuinely excited to meet the president, who was both daring and politically aware enough to sing L’Internationale at his own country’s leader, and who is now ashamed and avoiding school because all the others kids are making fun of the video. If anything, after grand speeches about how French youth is the future, Macron should have praised his bravado. Instead, his reply sounded childish, too.

It’s especially tone-deaf because “Manu” is a positive nickname. It’s shorthand for the nice kid who smokes weed, or the friendly, guitar-playing camp counsellor – someone young, someone cool, someone who gets it, man. In fiction and popular culture, “Manu” is always the best friend – from kids’ comic character Titeuf to the eponymous 1980s song, an ode to friendship by singer Renaud. A teenager calling Macron “Manu” doesn’t constitute disrespect: his warm casualness conveys affection, it addresses the president’s most “normal” side. Maybe that is why Macron, who has worked hard to break from his predecessor, “normal president” François Hollande, didn’t appreciate the banter.

Mr President’s harsh words have made one thing very clear: he is not your mate at all.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 151June 23, 2018 7:48 AM

I'm sure Macron has many people who would like to explore his musky, slightly hairy Gallic crevice (including me). But I would still refer to him as M. President, even though I'm old enough to be his father. It's the office itself which should command a level of respect.

by Anonymousreply 152June 24, 2018 1:33 PM

It's probably what he shouts in bed, too.

by Anonymousreply 153June 24, 2018 2:07 PM

r151 I'm sure the writer of that article wrote it furiously typing away, drinking chablis and crowing to himself when he worked in what he thought a good zinger.

by Anonymousreply 154June 24, 2018 2:15 PM

He's becoming hated in France as much as Tony Blair is hated in the U.K.

by Anonymousreply 155June 30, 2018 4:39 AM

"Non, mon prénom n'est pas 'Manu'. C'est Emmanuel. Le président Macron si vous êtes méchant. Méchant!"

by Anonymousreply 156July 1, 2018 4:58 AM

Dammit R156, why didn't you say that last week so I could steal it and put it on Twitter?

by Anonymousreply 157July 1, 2018 4:55 PM

Manu is proving more gay than the Senatrice.

by Anonymousreply 158July 7, 2018 4:37 AM

Miss me yet?

by Anonymousreply 159July 7, 2018 4:44 AM

No, you moldy old cunt R159.

Now get back to what you've been doing since the election:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 160July 7, 2018 4:47 AM

Apparently the kid that he embarrassed has fallen into a depression, has become withdrawn and is the target of ridicule at his high school. Here's the video where they talk about it (it's in French).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 161July 7, 2018 4:50 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 162July 7, 2018 5:01 AM

Nina Griscom wrote a funny article about being a smoker in NYC.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 163July 7, 2018 5:45 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!