Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Sandy Allen, The One Time World's Tallest Woman From 1975 To 2008.

She achieved the record breaking height of 7" 7.25" in the mid 70's & weighed at the time from 440 to 480 lbs.

Sandy had traveled all over the world for public events. I'm surprised that there aren't more photos of her on the internet since she posed with thousands of newlyweds (& others) in Niagara Falls for almost a decade at the Guinness Book Of Records Museum there. There's maybe 2 dozen total on some search engines.

Did anyone here ever meet her in her various appearances in New York City, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Indianapolis, Niagara Falls or her hometown of Shelbyville Indiana?

She lived longer than any other giantess in modern times & passed away at 53 in 2008.

Discuss.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 176February 15, 2024 12:45 AM

She's DEAD. She DIED in 2008.

by Anonymousreply 1June 18, 2018 3:25 AM

How did she die? Did a jetliner plow into her head?

by Anonymousreply 2June 18, 2018 3:33 AM

Didn’t she pose for playboy?

by Anonymousreply 3June 18, 2018 3:44 AM

No, but she was in Fellini Satyricon.

by Anonymousreply 4June 18, 2018 3:46 AM

I would love to see a documentary on her. She seemed like a happy person despite her health issues related to gigantism.

According to Wiki, she had surgery to prevent further growth.

by Anonymousreply 5June 18, 2018 4:34 AM

I loved her!

by Anonymousreply 6June 18, 2018 4:42 AM

[quote]According to Wiki, she had surgery to prevent further growth.

I, too prevented further growth.

by Anonymousreply 7June 18, 2018 4:52 AM

R1 No shit Sherlock!!!

I guess that's why it says she died at age 53 in 2008 in the description box above!

I guess that's why the title has 1975-2008 instead of 1975-2018.

Do people read anything on here anymore?

by Anonymousreply 8June 18, 2018 5:56 AM

I actually do a Sandy impersonation for a friend who appreciates such things. I pantomime sitting in a really big chair with my fingers draped over the imaginary hand rests. Then I say, "Hello" in a resonant, round-sounding voice.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9June 18, 2018 7:00 AM

{From article} In 1976, in Shelbyville, Ind., a city of about 20,000 southeast of Indianapolis, a film premiere was held. The picture was Fellini’s Casanova. A highly conceptual Italian art house flick about sexual deviance was not what this audience was used to; the house, nonetheless, was packed. A local was in it, a 21-year-old everyone knew about but whom few knew well. She now sat nervously waiting for it to start, concerned about what her neighbors were going to think of it, of her. "For his giant work, he even imported a giantess from America," one news article about the picture had read, a find that had ended director Federico Fellini's, "worldwide search for an amazon."

She was credited: "Sandra E. Allen – Giantess."

In the film, Casanova, played by Donald Sutherland, first meets the Giantess in a chaotic pub, where she is humiliating men one by one at arm wrestling. A loud thud, and cheers, a loud thud. She is made even more enormous-seeming by the camera’s low angle and the large veil she wears.

He finally approaches, and asks, “Who are you, mythological creature?” Sandy's replies are not her own voice; Fellini dubbed his film in Italian. The woman who voiced Sandy sounded particularly effeminate; Sandy's real voice was deeper, mannish.

Intrigued, Casanova follows Sandy to her room, where she is bathed in a large wooden tub by two dwarfs. One catches our voyeur and with a wink, continues to let him watch. The audience never sees anything but Sandy’s milky back.

Sandy was a modest girl, a churchgoer. {continued}

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10June 18, 2018 8:18 AM

This is Sandy's appearance as "The Giantess" in Fellini's Casanova (1976). Her voice was dubbed. She is being bathed by muscular little people. Her scene is at 1:33.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11June 18, 2018 8:27 AM

This is the1996 Howard Stern interview where he asked her about everything from her bra size to her menstruation and poop habits before recommending the Hitachi magic wand to satisfy her sexual needs.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12June 18, 2018 8:31 AM

One thing I never forgot was how gracious DL was about Sandy when she died.

You can try to be bitches all you want, but you are all really kind hearted ladies and gentlemen.

by Anonymousreply 13June 18, 2018 4:10 PM

Here she is in the 70's with some guy with a present.

I don't know who was the giver or the receiver.

I'm guessing she was her full height considering the size disparity.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14June 18, 2018 6:17 PM

She doesn't look 7" 7.25" in this photo with 6'4" tv host Tom Snyder.

She must have shrunk some or maybe just a bad angle?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15June 19, 2018 1:21 AM

“. . . the record breaking height of 7" 7.25"

She was only 7 inches tall?!?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16June 19, 2018 1:33 AM

Hope you’re happy, Sandy Allen!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17June 19, 2018 1:37 AM

Did her pussy stink? That must have been one huge gash.

by Anonymousreply 18June 19, 2018 1:40 AM

lol @ r2

by Anonymousreply 19June 19, 2018 1:47 AM

LOL R16 Not only did I do it in the title but also again today at R15! Good Catch.

What can I say? I'm legally blind & typing in the dark on a jet black keyboard.

Maybe I should start leaving the lights on at night. Oh well.

by Anonymousreply 20June 19, 2018 3:12 AM

For a woman who couldn't easily fit into most beauty shop chairs, she sure did have plenty of different looks over the years.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21June 19, 2018 4:46 AM

Sandy is in this documentary that features several tall women from all over the globe.

It seems like this was done shortly before her death in 2008.

Her story starts around the 18:28 mark.

The host is a bit creepy with his interactions with the women so be prepared for that.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22June 19, 2018 6:12 PM

I think the host was just besotted, R22. At any rate, thanks for the link.

With the super tall, I've always been curious about the ratios of head/trunk/leg height/length. I feel ridiculously proportioned, I am 6'4", but my inseam is 30". My brother is 6'5" and his inseam is 36". If I had his length of leg, I'd be Ellen's height (g).

Mother Nature has a sense of humor, I guess.

by Anonymousreply 23June 19, 2018 6:51 PM

Robert Wadlow was the tallest person who ever lived. This is DL so I have to ask. How big do you think it was?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24June 19, 2018 7:07 PM

R12 Wow, Howard is such a twat.

by Anonymousreply 25June 19, 2018 7:08 PM

Wow. Her birthday was on this past Monday.

She would have turned 63.

6/18/55 to 8/13/08

R.I.P. Sandy

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26June 20, 2018 6:31 AM

I believe this interview was done in the 90's.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27June 20, 2018 8:42 AM

Here's one of her better looking photos on the net.

This was either '78 or '79 based on the shorter girl's recollection,

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28June 21, 2018 12:34 AM

This is probably her most famous photo.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29July 1, 2018 11:10 PM

R23

Interesting. I’m 6’4” w/36” inseam. Your torso must be extremely elongated!

by Anonymousreply 30July 1, 2018 11:28 PM

R9, I wish you were my friend. I can picture it and it tickles me.

by Anonymousreply 31July 2, 2018 12:00 AM

She seemed like a sweet, humble lady. I hope she wasn’t lonely.

by Anonymousreply 32July 2, 2018 12:03 AM

R32 It's been stated in several interviews by her friends & family that she was a virgin & "never had a serious boyfriend".

by Anonymousreply 33July 2, 2018 12:27 AM

I found an autographed copy of her biography in a Goodwill a few years ago....she seems like a sweet person, but probably very sad, She had a good attitude but there is something so depressing about her life.

by Anonymousreply 34July 2, 2018 12:34 AM

She was nice but seemed like a sad sack.

by Anonymousreply 35July 2, 2018 12:40 AM

R35 Well she did have a lot of health problems including diabetes, joint pain, a bad leg & a suggested lifespan of less than 40 years.

by Anonymousreply 36August 12, 2018 11:51 PM

[quote]Did anyone here ever meet her in her various appearances in New York City, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Indianapolis, Niagara Falls or her hometown of Shelbyville Indiana?

Yes, on a high-school choir field trip to Niagara Falls. We took her picture next to the shortest girl in choir. Somewhere I have the picture.

by Anonymousreply 37August 12, 2018 11:59 PM

A suggested lifespan?

by Anonymousreply 38August 13, 2018 12:52 AM

R37 What year was that picture taken? You should send the picture to "The Tallest Man" web site when you find it. They are always looking for new photos of tall people of both sexes. I'm sure it would be much appreciated there especially for tall girls who are interested in seeing more female role models in the public realm.

R38 She was told in her twenties that for a 7"7" woman, she would be lucky to reach 37-40 years due to acromegaly a.k.a. giant's disease (she managed to live to be 53).

I believe Andre The Giant was told that he would be dead before the age of 40 due to the same disease (he died a couple of months before his 47th birthday).

It's harder for tall women to live as long as tall men for several reasons. I read somewhere that a woman's hip bones don't fit in the socket correctly once their height nears or surpasses the 7 foot height but men don't seem to have the same problem.

by Anonymousreply 39August 13, 2018 2:52 AM

R39 a PROJECTED lifespan. Perhaps expected. Not suggested. Sheesh I understood what you meant I was being snarky about your lexis.

by Anonymousreply 40August 13, 2018 2:55 AM

[quote][R37] What year was that picture taken?

by Anonymousreply 41August 13, 2018 3:06 AM

For R40

The Oxford dictionary definition=

Suggest - Put forward for consideration.

The 37-40 year lifespan was suggested as a possibility for her.

The Oxford dictionary definition fits even if you don't feel comfortable with the way it was being used.

Sorry Charlie.

by Anonymousreply 42August 13, 2018 3:07 AM

R41 Thanks for the quick reply.

by Anonymousreply 43August 13, 2018 3:09 AM

I knew her. She died in Indiana. She was such a nice person.

by Anonymousreply 44August 13, 2018 11:37 AM

R44 Did the media distort anything about her?

I read that there was a woman who wrote about her final days for the New York Times (I believe) & made her look lonely/pathetic.

Several others have disputed this view of her last year of life. What can you tell the DL about her? Any fond memories?

Sandy said on an early Jerry Springer episode that she was suicidal in the mid 1980s & started giving away all of her belongings while others say she was very generous when she wasn't suicidal. Did she ever give you anything to remember her by when she was gone?

by Anonymousreply 45August 14, 2018 1:30 AM

According to Wikipedia, she died on August 13, 2008 so yesterday was the tenth anniversary of her death. :(

by Anonymousreply 46August 14, 2018 11:27 PM

I ordered her book "Cast A Giant Shadow".

by Anonymousreply 47August 16, 2018 1:33 AM

bump

by Anonymousreply 48December 19, 2018 11:11 PM

I saw her in the ‘70s in Niagra Falls when I was a kid. It was kinda sad, the curtain would open and she would stand up, people took photos, then the curtain closed.

Even as a kid I felt this wasn’t right, like she was a spectacle and not a human like the rest of us in the room.

I hope they paid her a lot of money to do it.

by Anonymousreply 49December 19, 2018 11:45 PM

I wonder if Professor Xavier ever recruited her for the X-Men.

by Anonymousreply 50December 19, 2018 11:47 PM

She was a very nice lady and I considered her my friend. I miss her but she suffered in pain.

by Anonymousreply 51December 20, 2018 1:08 PM

R51 Was the pain from birth or did it come late in life?

She mentions in her book that "she never got to go to any proms" & said this on just about every talk show she appeared on.

Was this a big deal to her? it seemed like it was the one thing she couldn't get over from her youth.

She tells of guys wanting to date her (both here & abroad) but she remained a virgin her entire life.

I've heard that many people with her condition lack a normal sex drive. Was this the case with her?

It seemed in interviews that her pain was also mental & emotional (not just the physical).

by Anonymousreply 52December 20, 2018 2:40 PM

bump

by Anonymousreply 53December 20, 2018 11:04 PM

look what this religious idiot had to say about her =

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54June 18, 2019 11:24 PM

bump.

by Anonymousreply 55June 18, 2020 10:57 PM

Any pictures of her casket?

by Anonymousreply 56June 18, 2020 11:03 PM

I bet Sandy Allen was nice to all she met. She seemed so genuine and kind. Those of you who knew her were lucky.

by Anonymousreply 57June 18, 2020 11:19 PM

Here you go R56

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58June 19, 2020 3:20 AM

R58, that's Chrissy Metz' tanning bed.

by Anonymousreply 59June 19, 2020 3:27 AM

R9, is still my favorite post on this site.

by Anonymousreply 60June 19, 2020 3:49 AM

Yesterday would've been her 65th birthday.

by Anonymousreply 61June 19, 2020 9:15 AM

What if she and Andre the Giant had met and exploded together? Two GREAT giants - kind people despite their affliction.

by Anonymousreply 62June 19, 2020 9:43 AM

R62 According to wrestlers that traveled with him, Andre loved small Asian women

so the odds that these two would've hooked up were pretty slim in their lifetimes.

by Anonymousreply 63June 19, 2020 10:17 AM

bump

by Anonymousreply 64December 20, 2020 8:02 AM

I met her when I was 7 or 8. I was with my family at Farrell's Restaurant at Washington Square in Indianapolis around Christmastime. This was the late '70s. Since it was Christmas, the mall and the restaurant were packed and people were lined up waiting for tables to be available. One of the people was this absolutely massive lady and my mother said "Oh, that's Sandy Allen!" I had never heard of her until then.

After Sandy was seated, my mom got me to go over and get her autograph (on a paper napkin). I felt really awkward doing it, but she was kind about it. Looking back, I'm embarrassed for my mother that she had me do that. It's not the sort of thing I'd ever ask for myself, nor ask anyone else to do.

by Anonymousreply 65December 20, 2020 3:59 PM

Giantess? lol

by Anonymousreply 66December 21, 2020 12:59 AM

I interviewed her for an Indiana newspaper in the mid '90s, after she released her children's book It's OK to Be Different. She was a delightful person, sweet and funny. She said she stumbled and almost fell on the set of Casanova and called out, "Mr. Fellini, how do you say 'Tim-ber!!!' in Italian?" Never once heard her complain. And she actually did meet Andre the Giant, but he refused to take a picture with her because she was taller. She grinned and said, "I didn't lose any sleep over it." Cool, awesome lady.

by Anonymousreply 67December 21, 2020 1:16 AM

Meg, I recently reread her book & since you met & actually interviewed her....

1 = She mentioned in her book about "a married guy who came on to her but he was just curious". Was this the most married man in the world according to Guinness (who she has said on Guinness talk shows with him that she kept declining his offers) or maybe Geraldo Rivera who she talks glowingingly about briefly?

2 = She mentioned in the above tallest people special done (by the tall English guy) that she had a guy "that could have been the one". Did she tell you who that was in her interview? It seemed like the fact that she couldn't get the relationship she wanted with him caused much of her sorrow later in life.

3 = Do you know what year she met Andre? I would've guessed that it was around the time she was doing the Niagara Falls Guinness Museum speeches as she was more outgoing & cared less of what others thought of her. It seems like if this happened right out of high school that she would've been crushed by something like this encounter with him.

by Anonymousreply 68December 22, 2020 1:42 AM

R65 Is the restaurant you are talking about the Farrell's Ice Cream shops? This chain went bust some years ago right?

by Anonymousreply 69December 23, 2020 9:48 PM

R69 Yes, it was. Don't tell me you were there, too?

by Anonymousreply 70December 24, 2020 8:31 AM

Oh, now I see you were just correcting me because I wrote Farrell's Restaurant. We always just called it Farrell's.

by Anonymousreply 71December 24, 2020 8:33 AM

R70 No I wasn't there but I looked it up online & ice cream was connected to it.

by Anonymousreply 72December 24, 2020 11:30 PM

Her former manager John Kleiman talks about her in a 2020 interview =

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73January 1, 2021 3:17 AM

How big was her clit?

by Anonymousreply 74January 1, 2021 3:22 AM

Dick Wolfsie Part 1

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75January 2, 2021 2:51 AM

Part 2

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76January 2, 2021 2:52 AM

Part 3

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77January 2, 2021 2:54 AM

Part 4 of 4

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78January 2, 2021 2:56 AM

It must have been difficult to get proper medical care. I just saw the photo of her wearing eyeglasses and thought about the little optometry thing that measures eyes. How would that work? And her glasses would have to be specially made for her. Shoes. BP cuff?

by Anonymousreply 79January 2, 2021 3:20 PM

R79 You brought up something that I never thought that would be a problem for her = eyeglasses. That would be a headache for her & other giants.

Someone told the story of one of her health scares (I can't recall if it's in her book) that her legs were dangling out the back of the ambulance as she was too long to have it closed properly. Imagine that sight as you are walking/driving by.

I think her shoes would cost $500 at one point to have them made. Obviously most women don't have her size so her tennis shoes, sandals, etc. would be found most likely in the men's section. She knew a guy on a basketball team that had the same size shoe as her & he would give her his old tennis shoes. Most of her tv talk show appearances were in tennis shoes which were probably the easiest thing for her to find a pair of.

According to her book, Sandy had two younger brothers (the youngest one reportedly passed away after her death. I guess he took it hard & had a past history with substance abuse & all of it scrubbed from the internet). She had one younger sister who she didn't meet until she was an adult. The other brother & her were not very close. Her mom was still alive around the time of her death but they were not close as Sandy was given to her grandma to be raised while her mom went out to the bars in search of a good time. She refused to call her mom that name instead always giving the title to her grandma. No one in her family has the same height issues that Sandy did (it was caused by a tumor on her pit. gland).

The pic below has Sandy reconciled with her mom & also with her youngest brother who she helped looked after since he was born (they are about 13 years apart). It was taken in 1980 during her Guinness Museum years in Canada.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80January 2, 2021 11:47 PM

That isn't her mom in the picture with her. It's a guy named Norman Adie.

by Anonymousreply 81January 3, 2021 6:14 AM

Yeah R81 You're right. That was the original photo that I was going to use but then I saw the one that had both her youngest brother & mom in it but the web site link didn't take it.

Here it is now =

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82January 4, 2021 12:44 AM

It looks like the Guinness Museum where Sandy worked for about a decade (starting around '78) has been permanently closed for about 6 months now.

They are holding an auction for all of the displays that were contained in the building. Any takers?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83February 5, 2021 2:03 PM

bump

by Anonymousreply 84February 7, 2021 3:01 PM

So did anyone on the DL end up

with anything from the recent Guinness auction?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85February 28, 2021 3:46 PM

makes me always wonder if in the past, hundreds, thousands of years ago, if possibly even taller persons, men and women, existed...

or a faster runner than usain bolt....

or someone who could beat up ALI in a fight...

and so on and so on....

by Anonymousreply 86February 28, 2021 3:51 PM

Well R86 there was Miss Keever who died almost 400 years ago....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 87March 1, 2021 9:45 AM

Sandy had at least 5 inches & about 150 pounds on this guy.

I wonder if he'd pose for a pic with someone taller than him (unlike Andre The Giant)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 88March 4, 2021 10:09 AM

OMG, this is the funniest thread since the lesbian horror movie titles one.

by Anonymousreply 89March 4, 2021 10:36 AM

"No idea whatever happened to the napkin."

Remember that bee that got into the car afterwards *squish*

by Anonymousreply 90March 4, 2021 10:43 AM

"I saw her in the ‘70s in Niagra Falls when I was a kid. It was kinda sad, the curtain would open and she would stand up..."

We begged them to let her shower nude under The Falls, but the park people said no.

by Anonymousreply 91March 4, 2021 10:48 AM

R89 One or two posts are funny but the whole thing?

This poor woman suffered mentally, emotionally, physically, socially, financially & spiritually her entire life.

by Anonymousreply 92March 28, 2021 8:58 PM

Sandy must've been a big gal as she is listed at #4 & #5 in the YT credits of this Top 10 video.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93April 4, 2021 8:45 PM

Great thread. Can't believe how many DLers have not only heard of this woman, but actually met her, knew her, or had an obsession with her and learned all about her life.

by Anonymousreply 94April 4, 2021 9:05 PM

On the other side of the spectrum I read that Herve Villache anatomy caused him pain.

Apparently even though his body was small, that was just his exoskeleton. The rest of its internal organs, like heart lungs stomach, etc are regular human size so the pressure of his organs pressing against his tiny bones was painful.

Damn, that pain must have been unbearable.

by Anonymousreply 95April 4, 2021 9:40 PM

Was she in Satyricon or Casanova? When I was young I used to pretend to like Fellini. Even went to a retrospective class at University. He was a great cinematographer, but the plots were odd as heck.

by Anonymousreply 96April 4, 2021 10:02 PM

She was sweet.

by Anonymousreply 97April 4, 2021 10:08 PM

Only DL would have a thread on Sandy Allen. That is why I come here.

She was born too soon. Had she been born just a few decades later she would probably have a TLC show.

by Anonymousreply 98April 4, 2021 10:17 PM

R98 I agree & it would've made her a millionaire just off of her family drama alone.

by Anonymousreply 99April 4, 2021 10:25 PM

Here's a video of Sandy when she was 19 (around 1974-1975) working as a secretary in Indianapolis..

Her height at that age was around the 7' 5.5" mark.

I wonder if the woman interviewing her here was the one who interviewed her in the 90s tale above?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 100April 11, 2021 10:39 PM

She's buried in a Shelbyville Indiana cemetery.

Someone was nice enough to include her grave among famous celebrity graves =

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 101April 18, 2021 11:31 PM

Check out this recent bio on her =

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 102April 26, 2021 1:15 AM

Here's the latest internet photo of her.

It was taken in '78 according to the young guy in the pic.

Further proof is his Grease film t-shirt.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 103May 9, 2021 8:09 PM

This is one of the all time best DataLounge threads! Sandy Allen seems like a lovely women.

by Anonymousreply 104May 9, 2021 8:43 PM

"She was born too soon. Had she been born just a few decades later she would probably have a TLC show."

If she had been born a few decades later, she would have received medical/surgical treatment as a preadolescent. Surgery alone can sometimes completely correct acromegaly. She would have been in much better health, and not suffered chronic depression that had led to hospitalization.

by Anonymousreply 105May 9, 2021 8:55 PM

I just found this expanded version of her Stern chat.

At the start, it shows how much trouble she had getting out of regular vehicles at just 40 years old =

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 106June 13, 2021 8:10 PM

I think it's hilarious that this thread continues to pop up every month or so - it's so random for this forum.

by Anonymousreply 107June 13, 2021 11:10 PM

Yesterday was Sandy's 66th birthday. She passed away at 53 back in 2008.

7'1.5" Andre The Giant died at age 46 in 1993.

7'2" Richard Kiel died at age 74 in in 2014 which has to be a record for someone with giant's disease.

by Anonymousreply 108June 20, 2021 2:17 AM

I know this doesn't have anything to do with Sandy, but I've still never had anyone be able to tell me if "giant's disease" also affects the penis.

by Anonymousreply 109June 20, 2021 4:00 AM

R109 Yes it affects the penis.

Giants/giantesses have alluded to (when asked) that they are big all over & not just suffering from "daddy long legs syndrome".

The disease makes every part of their body grow unless science/medicine can slow/stop it.

I think a majority of giants/giantesses die from enlarged heart issues.

Plenty of them have to deal with diabetes & blood related issues. (Sandy & Andre did. I don't know about Kiel or The Big Show).

by Anonymousreply 110June 20, 2021 1:59 PM

It must have been terrifically difficult to be her. All the staring and laughing and questions. These are the people I think about when I hear people who are able bodied and "typical" complain about their lives being so hard and discriminated against. Try being so different that you use your arms to walk or your toes to cut vegetables, or you are DD or mentally ill or have some chromosomal disorder and then you can go out in the streets and raise hell.

by Anonymousreply 111June 20, 2021 2:10 PM

R111 I agree with what you said.

by Anonymousreply 112June 20, 2021 10:28 PM

Sandy's passing merited a Variety article =

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 113June 24, 2021 5:29 PM

La gigantessa!

by Anonymousreply 114June 24, 2021 5:37 PM

Bump.

by Anonymousreply 115July 21, 2021 5:15 PM

My god who keeps bumping this thread??

I think most Dataloungers are shut-ins with physical deformities, agoraphobia, morbid obesity, PTSD...

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

by Anonymousreply 116July 21, 2021 5:19 PM

I remember seeing her on TV as a kid in the 90s and then getting scared of taking a shower, because I kept imagining she would be looking at me from the outer side of the bathroom window of our 2nd-floor apartment. 😂

by Anonymousreply 117July 21, 2021 5:44 PM

There's a 14 year-old Chinese girl who may be coming for Sandy's "World's Tallest Woman" title. She's 7'4". At FOURTEEN!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 118July 21, 2021 5:54 PM

R116 I read on another thread that only 2021 threads could now be bumped. I wanted to see for myself & this one stood out among all of the rest (pun intended). It's a rather nice thread about a nice woman who had a lot on her plate during her shortened life.

R118 I've never heard of her even though a Google search shows several articles about her & I guess ESPN has already covered her (I don't have any cable now). Thanks for the heads up LOL!

Sandy's reported heights =

10 = 6'3"

12 = 6'6"

14-16 = 7'1"

17 = 7'2"

18 = 7'3"

19 = 7'5" (about 415-421 lbs.)

22 = 7'7.25" (about 422-480 lbs).

by Anonymousreply 119July 22, 2021 3:22 PM

R109 - Years ago, at the notorious Cuffs in Silverlake, I met a guy who was 7’2” or something like that. He was good-looking, muscular and charming. I brought him home, we got naked and I was ready to play with what I thought would be a monster dick. Instead, he had a nice big one (I was actually bigger), but his dick was small relative to his size.

by Anonymousreply 120July 22, 2021 6:02 PM

Interesting encounter R120. Thanks for sharing it.

by Anonymousreply 121July 22, 2021 11:50 PM

R118 Some of the pictures with that girl do seem quite comical (like the one below with all of her classmates lined up behind her). I think growing up in a nation that is even shorter on average than the US, will give her the same sense of humor that Sandy, Andre & the Big Show all developed for their height issues.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 122July 23, 2021 3:40 PM

R67 made me wonder if the Big Show or other tall people have the same policy (or hang up) that Andre did.

Does anyone know of any other giants that won't have their picture taken with someone taller than them?

Michael Jordan? Dennis Rodman? RuPaul?

by Anonymousreply 123August 13, 2021 6:15 PM

Threads like this are why I love DL

by Anonymousreply 124August 13, 2021 7:13 PM

The 13th anniversary of her passing was last Friday the 13trh.

by Anonymousreply 125August 21, 2021 6:27 PM

I just learned that America's tallest man died last Friday night at the age 0f 38 (he would've been 39 in about 2 weeks which I'm sure makes it even harder for his family & friends).

He had photos taken with Sandy Allen but Google doesn't have a single one to post here.

I'm sure some medical team told him that he'd have a shorted lifespan just like doctors gave Sandy (which is she'd be lucky to turn 40).

I had the pleasure of interacting with Igor on his many YT live chats (via comments section). You could tell he was miserable & depressed from all of his financial , social & medical problems but he did laugh at some jokes that were put in the chat box.

One thing I remember he was asked a couple years ago = "Ginger, Mary Ann or Mrs. Howell?"

He laughed when he read the Mrs. Howell out loud & said "Which one was the tallest? Someone said Ginger so he picked her.

His awkward answer to it (don't most straight guys already know their answer to THE hetero male question of the past half century?) made me think that he might've been closeted. He was never married, never linked to anyone & had no known offspring. Just pets.

R.I.P. Igor.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 126August 27, 2021 9:41 PM

Her pussy must have been cavernous.

by Anonymousreply 127August 27, 2021 9:50 PM

I still can't find any pics of Sandy & Igor together (the tallest man in the US who died last month) on Google or even Duck Duck Go.

Igor has dozens of photos posted to his obituary but none of them have Sandy in them =

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 128September 18, 2021 7:21 PM

She was a sweet lady. I knew her late in her life.

by Anonymousreply 129September 18, 2021 8:23 PM

R129 Any stories of her that you'd like to share on the thread?

by Anonymousreply 130September 18, 2021 9:17 PM

Pics of Sandy's shoes & sneakers have made their way onto the net.

She had to wear men's shoes as hardly anyone ever made women's footwear in her size (but there were a few cases).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 131October 13, 2021 10:35 PM

A Boston tall club paid tribute to her =

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 132October 24, 2021 11:22 PM

Here is Sandy's hand next to an average woman's hand.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 133November 27, 2021 10:51 PM

This photo of her was dated 10-27-86 and might have

been taken in Toronto Canada (source The Toronto Star) =

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 134December 26, 2021 11:08 PM

Bullshit!

by Anonymousreply 135December 27, 2021 1:49 AM

Sandy did a Aussie tour where she promoted a few local businesses back in the fall of '78.

In her book, she said her tour guide who showed her around the nation took her & her friends to a gay bar (but she didn't know it was at the time).

The women at the other table kept buying Sandy & her friends drinks until the stage lit up & revealed drag queens who performed.

She wrote that she had a ball there so she was for sure gay friendly then.

I think the image below was taken during this time =

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 136March 7, 2022 1:24 AM

A rare 70s interview =

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 137March 23, 2022 5:28 PM

That’s sad. Gigantism causes terrible physical pain as well as having freakishly notable looks. Andre the giant was in excruciating pain during filming of The Princess Bride.

by Anonymousreply 138March 23, 2022 6:21 PM

The video at R137 must be mislabeled by the date.

It has 1976 as the year but Sandy says that she is 22 years old in it which happened in June 1977.

by Anonymousreply 139April 10, 2022 11:50 PM

Here is the current record holder (she's only about 7' 0" tall) of Sandy's former title =

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 140May 31, 2022 1:12 AM

June 18 2022 would've been her 67th birthday.

Fellow actor Richard "Jaws" Kiel (who also suffered from gigantism) almost made it to his 75th birthday (just 3 days shy).

I can't think of any other famous person with the disease that lived into their 70s.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 141June 18, 2022 7:06 PM

Someone posted this "The Tallest Man" documentary (from 2006?) on YT about 8 months ago

which has several Sandy Allen interviews (one about the Howard Stern interview from above) & many pictures in it.

The associate producer on this doc was the Ukraine woman shot & killed by Alec Baldwin recently.

Small world huh? Pun intended.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 142July 14, 2022 2:33 AM

Today is the 14th anniversary of her death.

A Google search today reveals 3 new images from "Shutterstock" .

All are dated 1988 when she moved back to Indiana (from the Niagara Falls area) & took a job with her local mayor.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 143August 13, 2022 8:18 PM

Sandy's friend Igor "America's Tallest Man' Laden died one year ago today at age 38 from heart issues.

It's a bit strange that he almost died on the anniversary death of "America's Tallest Woman" but missed it by a couple of days.

His last meal was some Kiev cake & Fanta.

R.I.P. Igor

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 144August 20, 2022 10:33 PM

Obsessed Op?

by Anonymousreply 145August 20, 2022 10:36 PM

R145 Just doing a couple of tributes to some nice

people who deserved to be remembered (this one is a good

counterbalance to all of the Trump threads on here).

by Anonymousreply 146August 20, 2022 10:48 PM

It’s weird r146 since she’s dead. You’re obviously disturbed

by Anonymousreply 147August 20, 2022 11:05 PM

Piss off, R147. It's possible for people to be interested in things that don't interest you specifically. Deal with it.

I liked your thread, OP.

by Anonymousreply 148August 20, 2022 11:07 PM

A Sandy Allen fetish

by Anonymousreply 149August 20, 2022 11:10 PM

Disturbed? LOL R147.

Most of the threads on here are about dead folks = The Golden Girls cast, Judy Garland, Olivia, Anne, Nichelle, Elvis, Marilyn, Whitney. JFK JR. & family, etc. etc.

You must be new around here.

by Anonymousreply 150August 20, 2022 11:12 PM

^ Also who can forget the countless Bette Davis vs. Joan Crawford threads (both still dead as far as I can tell) among others.,.,

Sandy has this just this one for her life story.

by Anonymousreply 151August 20, 2022 11:17 PM

Simmer down now delicate wilting flower

by Anonymousreply 152August 20, 2022 11:18 PM

I had never heard of her, thank you for bumping this.

I have been with a couple of guys who didn't have giant disease but were over 6' 6". They were normal sized, not proportional.

by Anonymousreply 153August 21, 2022 12:07 AM

You're welcome rescue-chick.

I'm a big fan of your input on other threads.

I find it interesting that you have never heard of her since Sandy was one of the most recognizable women in the past half century in part to the amount of Guinness record books sold & her numerous tv show/films that she took part in around the globe.

by Anonymousreply 154August 23, 2022 3:25 AM

Today would've been the 40th birthday of Sandy's friend "Tallest Man In The US" Igor Laden.

I heard Igor went to college to be a civil rights lawyer but I don't know if he graduated.

Here he is at 29 on Anderson Cooper's ill fated talk show where it shows he had pains in his legs & back so standing for long lengths in a court room was probably never an option for him.

R.I.P. Igor =

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 155September 18, 2022 2:55 PM

Here's the latest Google search pic of Sandy.

I don't know when it was taken but she's obviously in her wheelchair.

She looks nice & happy for a change.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 156September 30, 2022 6:58 PM

Sandy played a role in the 1981 tv film "Side Show" starring DL faves Lance Kerwin, Connie Stevens, Red Buttons & William Windom.

It was filmed in 1978 but for some reason aired 3 years later.

The movie reviewer posted below has Sandy in several of the film's scenes =

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 157October 24, 2022 10:57 PM

Someone uploaded the Howard Stern '96 interview (with the complete video attached) last year.

Sandy was only 39 when she appeared on this episode.

The first minute has some audio missing but the rest of it is on there =

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 158February 16, 2023 8:49 PM

Sizegash Verificatia

by Anonymousreply 159February 16, 2023 8:58 PM

Sandy was born on June 18th 1955 so she would've been 40

(instead of 39) when the Howard Stern interview took place at R158.

by Anonymousreply 160February 18, 2023 11:49 PM

Sandy's mom Jackie passed away nearly a year ago on 5/26/22 at age 93.

This obit confirms that her other child (a son named Michael) passed away before she did (both are in the pic at R82). I can't find his obit at all but it sounds like he didn't make it to age 50.

Sandy's book revealed that her mom was a mean drunk who made little Mikey run for cover. Sandy had to step in several times to keep her from harming him (they were both raised by their grandma Emma W.). Jackie's obit sounds like she finally mellowed out & even donated some of her time to her church & the Salvation Army. Better late than never I guess.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 161March 26, 2023 8:45 PM

This is one thread I don't ever mind being bumped up on occasion. Her life was very fascinating.

I think a movie about her life is in order. I'm serious.

by Anonymousreply 162March 26, 2023 10:13 PM

I remember reading about her in the 70s or 80s, and thinking she seemed like such a nice person, but had such a sad life. Reading this thread though, her life doesn’t seem quite as sad - sounds like she did more than most people do with themselves.

by Anonymousreply 163March 27, 2023 1:22 AM

This woman was so tall she could hunt geese with a rake.

by Anonymousreply 164March 27, 2023 1:40 AM

I also think a film would be a great idea R162. The general public is fascinated with giants/giantesses. It would have to be animated as I don't think they could work an average size actress into the role but I doubt that she would've minded as she spent her latter years teaching kids it's "okay to be different" (which should be the DL's official motto).

by Anonymousreply 165August 27, 2023 10:50 PM

I loved her Cambridge, MA-based PBS cooking shows.

by Anonymousreply 166August 27, 2023 11:42 PM

The 15th anniversary of her death was 2 weeks ago.

by Anonymousreply 167August 28, 2023 7:10 AM

She deserves a Disney movie/Broadway musical.

by Anonymousreply 168August 28, 2023 8:13 AM

R168 A Disney film would be an interesting choice but I don't recall them doing any releases about modern famous people.

by Anonymousreply 169August 28, 2023 2:30 PM

She should have leased out her vagina to a family of Pygmy refugees.

by Anonymousreply 170August 28, 2023 3:38 PM

Here she is in a pic with deceased tv host Tom Snyder who is 6'4"-6"5" (with probably 2 inch heels as well) on his "Tomorrow Show" in 1981.

Sandy is listed at 7'7.25" & 480 lbs. in the description.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 171August 29, 2023 10:50 PM

I sent her an email when I was in high school and she wrote back. (This would have been around 2000.)

Can't remember what either of us said, but she seemed nice.

by Anonymousreply 172August 29, 2023 10:52 PM

"The 15th anniversary of her death was 2 weeks ago."

How did you acknowledge it, #167?

by Anonymousreply 173August 29, 2023 11:15 PM

Several weeks ago, this site (with over half a million subs now) posted this video on where to find her grave -

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 174October 8, 2023 12:04 AM

This picture was posted on the internet (in the past year) of Sandy's

Guinness Museum in Niagara Falls, Canada presentation days ('78 to '87) =

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 175November 17, 2023 8:13 PM

Sandy reached 6'3" at age 10. The same height and age "the world's tallest kid" is right now. =

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 176February 15, 2024 12:45 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!