Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The Affair - Season 4

The final season premiere begins tonight.

by Anonymousreply 213October 2, 2018 11:59 AM

Season 3 went off the rails. Wasn’t even The Affair anymore. Why was this even renewed. They already wrapped everything up at the last episode.

by Anonymousreply 1June 18, 2018 12:19 AM

this shit is still on??? i stopped after S2. what's left to tell??

by Anonymousreply 2June 18, 2018 12:33 AM

The first season was so good, I loved it. The third season was like a crazy soap opera. I cannot stand that French professor woman; she’s gross.

I’m still gonna watch, though I’ve forgotten much of the plot points.

And I love that theme song.

by Anonymousreply 3June 18, 2018 12:43 AM

The story completely wrapped up after season 2 and the mystery was solved. Season 3 was a whole other story involving other characters like a French professor and her husband and fat Brendan Fraser and fat Haddie from Parenthood. It was like it was a different show.

by Anonymousreply 4June 18, 2018 12:44 AM

There's not much on tv (I'll DVR Westworld) so I am watching it tonight

by Anonymousreply 5June 18, 2018 12:54 AM

[quote] Season 3 was a whole other story involving other characters like a French professor and her husband and fat Brendan Fraser and fat Haddie from Parenthood. It was like it was a different show.

Season 4 is adding some immigrants (Hispanic) into the storyline. Allison's character starts dating one of them. Maura Tierney won't even be in all the episodes

by Anonymousreply 6June 18, 2018 1:03 AM

35 minutes into it and this shit is depressing

by Anonymousreply 7June 18, 2018 1:35 AM

Trevor's a little bitch

by Anonymousreply 8June 18, 2018 1:35 AM

Why is Helen being such a cunt?

by Anonymousreply 9June 18, 2018 2:55 AM

Tried to watch it but God it was awful. I checked out after 15 minutes. It has gone down hill a little more each season.

by Anonymousreply 10June 18, 2018 3:51 AM

I thought it was a good season premiere. Helen is the one with the problem about Trevor being gay. She's totally going to fuck everything up with Vic. I'm curious about the mystery.

by Anonymousreply 11June 18, 2018 3:55 AM

Fuck this show. I auditioned for it and the casting office is run by a huge gaping asshole.

by Anonymousreply 12June 18, 2018 5:42 AM

The lead guy was hot on The Wire but now he looks nasty, not buying the ladies are still panting after him.

by Anonymousreply 13June 18, 2018 6:30 AM

What do you think is wrong with Helen's cute husband/boyfriend, Dr Vic?

I bet he has cancer

by Anonymousreply 14July 1, 2018 1:11 AM

[quote]Season 4 is adding some immigrants (Hispanic) into the storyline

Great!- more non-native speakers being given ridiculously sophisticated dialogue to stagger through.

by Anonymousreply 15July 2, 2018 11:53 PM

r14 you were right. Why would an attractive younger doctor with no kids marry Helen?

by Anonymousreply 16July 3, 2018 5:46 AM

I Love this show, so well done

by Anonymousreply 17July 3, 2018 8:00 PM

I'm watching the first ep.

It's a bore.

by Anonymousreply 18July 3, 2018 8:01 PM

I'm so over this show. Last season was a trainwreck but I had hoped they'd get back on track this season but as other's have said, things were pretty much resolved after the 2nd season. Now they're conveniently killing off Hellen's boyfriend after having the entire family (including her ex-husband) move to Los Angeles. I guess to they wanted to film closer to home, but now it makes the stories bi-coastal and isolates them even more. Not that I cared that much about Allison; but her and Noah's relationship is the catalyst for the entire series. Now it seems like two entirely separate stories with no overlap -- they might as well have their own shows. I like Sanaa Latham but her and her son's character are completely nonessential and gratuitous SJW pandering. I seriously doubt if I'm going to watch this live this season, I'll probably finish it on DVD.

by Anonymousreply 19July 3, 2018 8:14 PM

Season 4 is a huge disappointment so far and I can't imagine it's going to get any better. Things may liven up if Helen has a lesbian fling with the neighbor (it seems to be going in that direction) but Alison and Cole are so fucking boring. Oh, and PLEASE deport Luisa.

by Anonymousreply 20July 3, 2018 8:21 PM

Dominic West still does it to me. His annual naked ass shot is my personal moon landing. Event television.

by Anonymousreply 21July 3, 2018 8:30 PM

I was through with this show after the awful third season. Are Allison and Cole even in this at all? Did they open a Lobster Roll branch in Los Angeles?

by Anonymousreply 22July 3, 2018 9:13 PM

I liked and miss the Long Island locations. They were refreshing.

by Anonymousreply 23July 3, 2018 9:15 PM

And it is not the last season! I would say the 5th season WILL be its last season.

Such a WEIRD show. So incohesive and derivative. Random characters living random lives.

And the California thing has ended it for me.

by Anonymousreply 24July 3, 2018 9:44 PM

I’m actually liking this season so far.

by Anonymousreply 25July 3, 2018 10:03 PM

The last episode began with a Noah, Cole, and Noah's student together in car and then never explained how they got there.

Not even New York magazine is recapping this show anymore.

by Anonymousreply 26July 3, 2018 10:26 PM

^It must be a teaser. They always do that. I love how they do the two sides of the argument thing and how it all comes full circle. Even if the plot is contrived the way they slowly construct it all is compelling.

by Anonymousreply 27July 3, 2018 11:09 PM

Every episode has started with those three characters in a car. Apparently, Alison has gone missing and no one has heard from her for 3 days. Perhaps she'll turn up dead and in Season 5 EVERYONE will be a suspect. That would be a great way to end the series. I mean it worked really well for The L Word :)

by Anonymousreply 28July 4, 2018 2:39 PM

I've stuck with this show since Season 1. So far, this hasn't been their best season. Sunday night was the first time I've ever shut off an episode because I was bored. The pace was painfully slow. I don't think I'll be tuning in again.

by Anonymousreply 29July 11, 2018 3:05 AM

Great episode tonight. I really like Vik.

by Anonymousreply 30July 16, 2018 3:15 AM

I knew Helen wasn't giving herself shots. Alison is plain looking with no personality yet every man falls in love with her, too bad Cole still wants her back.

by Anonymousreply 31July 16, 2018 3:28 AM

Great show this week, I also love Vik and Cole can have me anytime he wants

by Anonymousreply 32July 17, 2018 3:17 PM

Yeah, I don't get all these hot guys pining over Allison. That's where the show loses some of its believability to me. Enough already.

by Anonymousreply 33July 17, 2018 3:29 PM

She has cock sucking lips.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34July 17, 2018 3:35 PM

I think the telling of the story from two characters perspective kinda explains Allison's attraction to some of the men. Season 1, Noah saw her as a slightly slutty, free-spirit waitress. She saw herself as a put upon grieving mother and member of drug trafficking family. In Season 2, the husband who needed PT also saw her as the sexually free woman and his wife saw her as a threat.

I still like the show. It's true they could have ended after season 2 or at least, go from season 2 to season 4. Season 3 was pointless. I think it's kinda obvious where Vik's parents are going to get their grandchild. I hope it doesn't go in that direction. I'll keep watching and hope for the best.

by Anonymousreply 35July 17, 2018 4:14 PM

I'll tell you who I don't miss.

Helen's fucking awful mother.

and that awful French professor.

[quote]Why is Helen being such a cunt?

I don't know. In fact, they seem to have totally altered her character. And let's not forget, Noah went to fucking prison for her. She owes him for the rest of her life for that.

by Anonymousreply 36July 17, 2018 4:19 PM

Helen's issue is a simple one. She loves Noah and in spite of everything he is the love of her life. She can't live without him. Cole figured his shit out this week.

I would love to see Cole and Allison end up back together.

I don't know how Helen and Noah are going to end up, but it won't be together.

by Anonymousreply 37July 17, 2018 4:28 PM

I love how all these people without credentials or even green cards have such responsible positions. And Cole just up and walked out in order to give his illegal immigrant girlfriend “space.” And she’s a cunt whining about how he tries to help and support her all the time and she hates it because she’s not in charge of her life.

by Anonymousreply 38July 17, 2018 5:44 PM

[quote] And Cole just up and walked out in order to give his illegal immigrant girlfriend “space.”

I think he's married to her.

& if so, why no Green Card?

by Anonymousreply 39July 17, 2018 5:45 PM

They had some ridiculous excuse like she didn’t want to have to wait for a green card because she might be arrested and deported before she gets one and she’d never be allowed back into the country.

by Anonymousreply 40July 17, 2018 6:32 PM

Doesn't that happen quite often though?

People apply for a green card and get deported for being illegal before their application comes through?

by Anonymousreply 41July 17, 2018 6:35 PM

I liked Vik’s half of the episode, but Cole’s was so trite. It doesn’t help that Joshua Jackson never grew as an actor.

by Anonymousreply 42July 19, 2018 1:44 AM

I miss that ginger bastard Oscar. And slutty Whitney.

What’s the deal with the garbage cans? How does a single woman generate two huge garbage bins’ worth? We are a family of five and wouldn’t fill a single one in a week. Why do Vik and Helen feel compelled to move them? Let her rack up the fines for it leaving them.

by Anonymousreply 43July 19, 2018 11:27 AM

Amy Irving looked amazing this week. I really enjoyed Cole's half of the show as he met her, learned about her affair with his dad, his search of his emotions where he decided to divorce his wife.

My most hated character on the show remains Helen. She is a straight up cunt to everyone= her kids, Noah, Vic, her shrink. Just once before this series ends I want Noah to read her for filth & say she'd be sitting in prison if not for him.

by Anonymousreply 44July 19, 2018 9:38 PM

Too much Noah and not enough Vik Dick this episode

by Anonymousreply 45July 23, 2018 6:43 AM

Noah can have me anytime

by Anonymousreply 46July 23, 2018 12:09 PM

I have been waiting for that scene between Helen and Allison for 4 seasons. So good. As cunty as Helen can be at times, she was spot on with Allison. What else was fascinating was the way Allison saw Noah and Helen together. Very different from the way they see each other.

by Anonymousreply 47July 23, 2018 8:41 PM

The show has been renewed for a 5th and final season!!!!

by Anonymousreply 48July 26, 2018 10:34 PM

I can not help it. Allison just affects me.

And I give all props to the actress.

by Anonymousreply 49July 28, 2018 11:49 PM

I hated season 3 so much that I gave up this show. Is David Henry Hwang still involved? I thought the crappy season 3 might have been his fault. He wrote one good play and then even ruined that by rewriting it last year.

by Anonymousreply 50July 28, 2018 11:55 PM

My God! Helen is such a cunt. I want to reach thru the screen & choke her.

by Anonymousreply 51August 1, 2018 11:12 PM

R51, I was thinking how Helen is by far my favorite character!

by Anonymousreply 52August 1, 2018 11:25 PM

mine to 52

by Anonymousreply 53August 1, 2018 11:53 PM

There's no continuity with the characters. I guess they use different writers who aren't familiar with the characters...and they don't grow. They've been through so much but seem to have learned nothing. In fact, they go backwards. They were wiser, wittier, more successful and more intelligent back in Series One.

Now they all seem to be rolling around in the dirt with their legs in the air.

by Anonymousreply 54August 2, 2018 12:02 AM

I tried watching it this evening. I no longer even enjoy hating it. It's beyond bad now.

by Anonymousreply 55August 2, 2018 12:55 AM

I hate that half the cast are in Montauk & the other half is in LA.

It makes everything so disjointed.

by Anonymousreply 56August 2, 2018 1:00 AM

It will all come together in the end, like a good novel.

by Anonymousreply 57August 4, 2018 2:21 PM

I like Cole. Will he get back with Allison at the end of this damn story?

by Anonymousreply 58August 4, 2018 2:31 PM

Does Cole have to bed every woman in his path?

by Anonymousreply 59August 4, 2018 2:51 PM

Does Noah?

by Anonymousreply 60August 4, 2018 2:57 PM

This Oscar nominated chick Sandrina whatever has ZERO charisma in everything she does. And her character on this show is supremely repellent. Absolutely unwatchable-

by Anonymousreply 61August 4, 2018 4:04 PM

This show this season with all the secret parents? This is fucking embarrassing.

I am enjoying Helen and Vic, as well as Allison and that addict dude, which is already over. The rest is pure soap and extremely BORING.

Sanaa and Dominic are like watching paint dry.

Maura makes the show for me.

by Anonymousreply 62August 4, 2018 6:43 PM

The school part is VERY boring.

by Anonymousreply 63August 4, 2018 7:24 PM

[quote]I like Cole. Will he get back with Allison at the end of this damn story?

Anything's better than that miserable cunt he's married to.

by Anonymousreply 64August 4, 2018 7:25 PM

R63 and R64- I agree ☝️

I am basic ally watching for Helen and for Allison's "outcome". You sure do root for her.

by Anonymousreply 65August 4, 2018 9:32 PM

I watch for Maura. She's fabulous and I love Helen, warts and all. That Maria Catherine Santana or whateverhernameis got an Oscar nom? FOR WHAT??????

by Anonymousreply 66August 5, 2018 3:42 AM

Did anyone watch ep 8 yet? It's available early on my Amazon Showtime channel.

by Anonymousreply 67August 5, 2018 5:54 AM

She got a nomination for playing a Drug Mule who smuggled drugs in her asshole and coochie.

Holy Mary Full of Grace or some shit. About 10 years ago- Best Actress Nomination.

by Anonymousreply 68August 5, 2018 12:59 PM

New episode on app - don’t want to post any spoilers, but REALLY?!?!

by Anonymousreply 69August 5, 2018 11:43 PM

Maura “Helen” can act circles around the rest of the cast. Every scene she’s in is a highlight. Her scene with Allison a couple of episodes ago was very compelling. She laid it all out for her, basically told her to change the story, that her destiny was up to her. It’s about time someone finally put professional victim Allison in her place.

I know she’s a witch but I miss Helen’s mother Margaret. She’s a First Class Bitch and I loved to hate her. Hopefully if everyone is back in NY next season they find a way to work her back into the story.

Word on the street is that the entire cast and crew can’t stand Dominic “Noah”. The three other leads apparently loved last season as they didn’t have to share many scenes with him. He’s generally loathed. Very difficult to work with and not every friendly. The crew loves Maura, Ruth and Joshua.

by Anonymousreply 70August 6, 2018 12:02 AM

I don't care for Dying Doctor Vic, hurry up and croak.

by Anonymousreply 71August 6, 2018 12:33 AM

[quote]I don't care for Dying Doctor Vic, hurry up and croak.

They'll drag it out. Trust me.

by Anonymousreply 72August 6, 2018 1:07 AM

[quote]Word on the street is that the entire cast and crew can’t stand Dominic “Noah”. The three other leads apparently loved last season as they didn’t have to share many scenes with him. He’s generally loathed. Very difficult to work with and not every friendly. The crew loves Maura, Ruth and Joshua.

Interesting. But those sorts of rumours are usually fake.

by Anonymousreply 73August 6, 2018 1:08 AM

First time that Dominic West is deemed difficult to work with and unfriendly, afaik?

by Anonymousreply 74August 6, 2018 2:25 AM

I just watched the most recent episode. Wow! That was unexpected.

by Anonymousreply 75August 6, 2018 2:25 AM

Guess that person sunk back into the ocean.....

by Anonymousreply 76August 6, 2018 2:55 AM

r70 I loved Helen's mother too. I always enjoy the bitchy mothers like Henry's mother on Mad Men.

by Anonymousreply 77August 6, 2018 2:57 AM

I did not see that coming AT ALL? Have been hate watching since season two but found this episode actually upsetting!

by Anonymousreply 78August 6, 2018 4:15 AM

I think the character of Allison had run its course. Where was there left to go with her? It is unrealistic that she would leave her daughter, though.

by Anonymousreply 79August 6, 2018 6:35 AM

Agree R78. That was intense! I bet Luisa is the culprit.

by Anonymousreply 80August 6, 2018 12:35 PM

Did anyone notice in the credits the production designer was named Michael Novotney.?

by Anonymousreply 81August 6, 2018 1:39 PM

I'm certain we'll see LOTS of Alison in flashbacks and dream sequences.

by Anonymousreply 82August 6, 2018 2:49 PM

Luisa killed Allison to keep her family together and to stay in the country. With Allison out of the picture she can use Joanie as a basis for residency. Mark my words.

Ben being part of Allison’s death is too obvious. He’s a red herring.

Ruth Wilson will be in the final 2 episodes but then she’s done. She asked to leave the show. Recently she complained that she was being paid less than Dominic West even though she had won a Golden Globe for the role. Ruth and Maura have both won Golden Globes for their work on The Affair and Maura has also been nominated for an Emmy for the role of Helen in 2016. I understand Ruth making less when she first started on the show but all 4 principal actors should be making the same per episode rate at this point. They all contribute evenly to the show/story. See interview with the show runner below.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83August 6, 2018 3:11 PM

R70

Helen telling Allison to change her story was laughable considering Helen is stuck in the perpetual role of "poor put upon bitchy victim".

MT is a good actress but Helen is a raging cunt who NEVER accepts any blame.

Noah went to prison for her worthless ass & she still treats him like shit on her shoe.

by Anonymousreply 84August 6, 2018 3:16 PM

Last nights episode, best ever!!!

by Anonymousreply 85August 6, 2018 10:48 PM

I think it was Luisa too.

Otherwise, why even delve into Luisa's immigration issues? It would have been a waste of precious screen time.

But not if it gives her motive....

by Anonymousreply 86August 7, 2018 12:39 AM

So the villain will be the disgruntled spitfire immigrant? I hope not.

by Anonymousreply 87August 7, 2018 2:14 PM

Please don't let it be Luisa. Immigration has enough headaches right now.

by Anonymousreply 88August 7, 2018 4:00 PM

R88 I was thinking the same thing. Let’s make the undocumented immigrant a murderer. Maybe Sarah Treem is a Trump Supporter?

by Anonymousreply 89August 7, 2018 4:10 PM

Luissa would be pretty obvious. Every comment section about the show has had a couple of people guessing it was her. It would be best artistically if it was just suicide due to long term depression. No one pushing her over the edge. No one else's fault. Depressed people often feel they are a burden and everyone (even their kids) are better off without them. I don't have a lot of faith in this show letting it be that simple. They've got another season so I'm guessing that will be a murder mystery like Scottys death in seasons 1 and 2. I think they should have just made this the last season when Ruth asked to be let out. She was the co lead.

by Anonymousreply 90August 7, 2018 4:58 PM

R90

I blame Helen. Helen told Allison to quit being stagnant & change her story. Next thing you know Allison kills herself.

by Anonymousreply 91August 7, 2018 8:00 PM

Ben was right, it was Cole and Noah that fucked her up and over. I still think it was just suicide.

by Anonymousreply 92August 7, 2018 10:19 PM

Apart from 13 Reasons Why, suicides by leading TV characters are pretty rare, aren’t they?

by Anonymousreply 93August 7, 2018 10:37 PM

I know I'm behind everyone else - but I'm so sick of how fucking rude his kids are to him. He needs to kick their butts

by Anonymousreply 94August 7, 2018 10:40 PM

R94, but remember it’s just his perception. They might not actually be particularly rude.

by Anonymousreply 95August 7, 2018 10:46 PM

R95 I never take Noah's perspective on his kids or Helen or Vik seriously. He's still trying to justify cheating on Helen. Vik is a rival. He expects the kids to feel closer to him than they would since he hasn't been a stable influence in their lives. Kids don't care how hard you think you're trying. We know Helen stopped fighting him on joint custody very early in season 2. She spent most of season 3 trying to facilitate a relationship between Noah and the kids. He showed little interest in them either during or after prison. It's only in his mind that she's been keeping him from them. He's kind of got a good dad script he's following and expects them to play their parts, but they are characters in his book.

by Anonymousreply 96August 7, 2018 11:28 PM

Why bother with a 5th season without Ruth Wilson? She was the best actor and most interesting character on the show.

by Anonymousreply 97August 8, 2018 12:47 AM

R94

Of course the kids are rude to Noah.

#1 They have Helen for a mother

#2 Noah left them for a 3 year stint in prison. Unbeknownst to the kids he did that prison sentence for their ungrateful mother

by Anonymousreply 98August 8, 2018 12:54 AM

R98 Helen told the kids that she was the one driving. Helen also took the kids to Noah's fathers funeral and tried to keep him involved in the kids lives. Noah was more interested in professor Sex French and stalking that prison guard. Granted he was having mental health issues. The kids are just used to not being around him. He's been a source of instability for a long time. He broke up their family, they get used to Allison and then she goes away. Helen is always been there and Vik has been a stable presence in their lives for years now. Vik has cancer and this upsets them. Absent divorced parents tend to expect to just pick up where they left off with their kids. This is strange for their children to have someone expecting this sort of intimacy from them.

by Anonymousreply 99August 9, 2018 8:39 PM

I blame the groper on the plane for Allison's suicide. He sent her over the edge.

by Anonymousreply 100August 9, 2018 9:00 PM

I wish they didn’t do this damn cop-out.

by Anonymousreply 101August 12, 2018 10:22 PM

R101 Definitely a cop out

by Anonymousreply 102August 13, 2018 1:44 PM

I had the latest episode on in the background while I did other things, too depressing. I knew that guy was shady.

by Anonymousreply 103August 14, 2018 7:04 AM

Could someone explain the two different scenarios for Allison?

by Anonymousreply 104August 15, 2018 6:54 AM

One was what she wanted to happen, the other what really did. I think.

by Anonymousreply 105August 15, 2018 2:20 PM

I read a theory that the first one was Ben's perspective. It's a little wears that Allison wasn't bothered by Ben raping his wife in front of his kid. I don't think she would put that in her fantasy version.

by Anonymousreply 106August 15, 2018 6:39 PM

Maybe no so much his memory, but his fantasy.

by Anonymousreply 107August 15, 2018 6:41 PM

I always have to read the recaps by EW and Michael Ausiello .

They explain the confusing parts & they usually have interviews with the show runners that also help with the confusing parts.

by Anonymousreply 108August 15, 2018 10:57 PM

Both were Alison's pov. I went back and checked. Very strange, but perhaps it'll be explained next episode.

by Anonymousreply 109August 18, 2018 12:45 AM

Ruth Wilson "Not Allowed" to Talk Reason Behind 'The Affair' Exit | THR News

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 110August 18, 2018 12:54 AM

My theory is the first scenario is how it should have happened for Allison or how we wanted it to happen for her and the second scenario is what really happened. They just shouldn't have labeled the differing stories, "Allison," as if it was coming from her perspective. I could be wrong.

by Anonymousreply 111August 18, 2018 2:47 AM

It kind of seams like the message was don't stand up for yourself and just give the guy what he wants. You'll be murdered if you do the first and live happily ever after if you do the second.

R110 I find it odd that she's not allowed to say why she left. It makes it sound like there's some deep dark secrets on the set.

by Anonymousreply 112August 18, 2018 3:02 AM

Yeah, Showtime said she was leaving after the character achieved self empowerment. What self empowerment? How did that ending convey that? With the preview for next episode, I do wonder if it will explain anything, or will set it up as the mystery at the center of next season. With her allegedly not returning. Ruth looked pretty strained in the interview when she talked about leaving. Looks like things really broke down behind the scenes.

by Anonymousreply 113August 18, 2018 5:14 AM

"Fantasy before reality".

That said, I'm not sure it really explains it, since he had two different versions of the story where he killed the unarmed child. How could Alison have predicted some version of that? And why would she fantasize the story of raping (?) his wife.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 114August 18, 2018 5:52 AM

Looks like Ruth Wilson was sexually harassed/assaulted on the set of The Affair and asked to leave. She reached some sort of settlement with Showtime and signed an NDA. This would explain why she told Gayle King that she can’t talk about it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 115August 18, 2018 2:52 PM

Her body double sued Showtime for firing her after complaining about sexual humiliation last year. Perhaps a toxic set?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 116August 18, 2018 3:07 PM

What a fucking WEIRD show both behind the scenes and with what shows up on our screens-

Allison's ending was pure soap opera and she deserved better. This show is so different from where it started, and not in the good way-

And you can tell the show HATES Dominic because he has been completely sidelined. HIs "storyline" with whatshername may have been the most boring and NON DEVELOPED plot I have ever witnessed- And lets not mention his "storyline" last year with that French actress.

Why not get rid of him too?

Fucking bizarre and schizophrenic show. And Allison's end was violent and completely offensive. You could see the FUCK YOU RUTH messages from the show runners in the writing of it!

by Anonymousreply 117August 18, 2018 4:24 PM

The show was co-created by Hagai Levi and Sarah Treem. He ended up leaving due to artistic differences. "(The Affair) started out as art, and there was a specific moment when I started to recognize that it was moving away from that." Apparently after he left, it went in a different direction than he had envisaged. I think he was behind what was interesting about the show because it went down hill after he left, and veered into soapie territory. I wish we could have seen his vision of the show. He also created In Treatment, which was another interesting idea for a show.

I think there is something off about Sarah Treem, and the set in general.

by Anonymousreply 118August 18, 2018 5:04 PM

Link for the above quote.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 119August 18, 2018 5:06 PM

R118, much better said then my post.

When did he leave? Before Season 3?

Season 1 and 2 were great. And yes, Season 1 was ART. It was very good. It was sparse and elegant actually.

by Anonymousreply 120August 18, 2018 5:11 PM

Just read Hagai's interview- It looks like he left VERY early on. During the 1st season at some point. Wow.

by Anonymousreply 121August 18, 2018 5:16 PM

I still love the show, but I do miss the first season concept of the same events being shown by two different perspectives. The show keeps parts of the elements, but it's nothing like season 1.

by Anonymousreply 122August 18, 2018 5:33 PM

Having half the cast on 2 different coast made this year seem very disjointed.

by Anonymousreply 123August 18, 2018 6:05 PM

R123- That's when I knew this show was nearing the end.

It is a pure budgetary move. I.E. when Bloodline moved Meg to LA (on a show completely immersed in the Florida Keys) That was a show that ended over the production costs.

The Long Island stuff was VERY limited if you notice, and most interiors were filmed in LA.

by Anonymousreply 124August 18, 2018 6:17 PM

R115, according to this article you were right on the money.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 125August 19, 2018 5:47 AM

I’m in the minority as actually liking Season 3. I finally felt some empathy for Noah trying to adjust to life after prison, whereas I thought he was a complete asshole in Seasons 1 & 2.

I thought I heard rumors before S4 started that it would be Pacey’s last season. The Alison exit was a surprise.

by Anonymousreply 126August 19, 2018 5:49 AM

Sarah Treem gave an interview after Allison’s death was revealed possibly to Variety? She didn’t have anything nice to say about Ruth. All she stated was that Ruth wanted to leave so they filmed all of her scenes at the beginning of the production of the season. There was nothing about how sad she was to see her go or how talented she was. That was the moment I knew something was up. I wonder if the Assistant Director accused of sexual harassment is still employed on the show? Probably.

Sarah Treem is also supposed to be working on something with Gal Gadot for Showtime. Gal and her husband are producing with Treem.

by Anonymousreply 127August 19, 2018 6:19 AM

Maura Tierney got on my nerves on ER but that was due to the shitty writing of that show. I think she is actually the MVP of The Affair.

by Anonymousreply 128August 19, 2018 8:44 AM

The Affair sounds like a LOVELY show to work on.

Ick. You are better off, Ruth.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 129August 19, 2018 2:48 PM

Maybe Ruth Wilson is a little more like her character of Allison than we realized.

by Anonymousreply 130August 19, 2018 3:13 PM

[quote] Yeah, I don't get all these hot guys pining over Allison. That's where the show loses some of its believability to me.

It’s her slight European accent.

by Anonymousreply 131August 19, 2018 3:24 PM

Season Finale tonight.

by Anonymousreply 132August 19, 2018 6:53 PM

R132, not to those of us who have already seen it by other means...

by Anonymousreply 133August 19, 2018 7:23 PM

Joshua Jackson is still sexy as fuck. I'd ride him like a cowboy!

As for the other two hot guys, are either of them gay?

I'm curious about the guys who play Vik and Ben. Any gay gossip about them? I was reading their wikis and wasn't able to find any relationship on either of these guys, one mid-40's the other late 30's.

What's the scoop?

by Anonymousreply 134August 19, 2018 10:47 PM

Is it just me, or does Anton seem to have a crush on his teacher, Mr. Solloway?

Damn, daddy! Now that's an affair I'd love to see!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 135August 19, 2018 11:06 PM

The kid who plays Anton is cute. I'd love to see him hook up with his teacher.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 136August 19, 2018 11:07 PM

"It's a little wears that Allison wasn't bothered by Ben raping his wife in front of his kid. "

OK, I missed this. When does he talk about this? Version 1??

by Anonymousreply 137August 19, 2018 11:32 PM

Yes, version one.

by Anonymousreply 138August 19, 2018 11:37 PM

Great season finale.

by Anonymousreply 139August 20, 2018 1:38 AM

I don't know where the show will go from here. Noah and Helen together again? Is Cole on his way back to California for a visit with his father's paramour and the woman he slept with while there? Will Vic hang in there to see the birth of his child? Is Ben going to get away with murder?

by Anonymousreply 140August 20, 2018 2:43 AM

I caught up with the Season 4 marathon on Showtime today. Maura Tierney is still the best thing about the show. The highlight of the season for me was seeing Amy Irving. God she looks great for early 60's. Talk about aging gracefully. Oh, and as for this season, it was the weakest for me.

by Anonymousreply 141August 20, 2018 2:46 AM

Anton: “I’m sorry about Alison.”

Noah: “#MeToo.”

by Anonymousreply 142August 20, 2018 2:58 AM

Why doesn’t Maura Tierney use her years of medical experience as Dr. Abby Lockhart to help alleviate poor Vic’s pain?

by Anonymousreply 143August 20, 2018 3:26 AM

Tonight seemed more like a series finale vs a season finale. They could end it here. Maura Tierney was sublime. A cut above the rest of the cast.

by Anonymousreply 144August 20, 2018 4:00 AM

Just started watching the new episode, I like how in Noah's version the college students and teacher fall all over him. The actor his face has aged so much in the last few years, he is getting too craggy looking.

by Anonymousreply 145August 20, 2018 4:16 AM

This was a great episode all the way around. Kinda didn't get the mind-fuck from Anton - just too personal to not be what he really thought, plus Noah did tell tell his mother that he was helping Anton because of her. All the actors were terrific. Boy, as another poster stated, Dominic West is showing his age. High Definition is not kind to some actors.

by Anonymousreply 146August 20, 2018 4:26 AM

The actress playing oldest daughter Whitney has been in the opening credits all season but only appeared in one episode. Her character is as awful as ever (which kind of made me happy).

by Anonymousreply 147August 20, 2018 10:23 AM

Did it get any better? I watched season one and waited for something to happen. The S1 finale is the worst I have ever seen. I don’t even remember plot details, but I remember it was a fake out and a cheat and some really lame plotting, and I decided I would never waste another hour on it. Did HBO learn from that mistake or maintain terrible storytelling?

by Anonymousreply 148August 20, 2018 10:38 AM

Loved the entire season, sorry it ended

by Anonymousreply 149August 20, 2018 5:11 PM

HBO didn’t learn a goddamn thing, r148. ‘The Affair’ is on Showtime.

by Anonymousreply 150August 20, 2018 8:41 PM

That ending was really something. Still thinking about it. Cole is heartbreaking. I have to hand it to the writers. That was one creative memorial service. I understood what Cole did though.

by Anonymousreply 151August 20, 2018 8:47 PM

His running off with the ashes and sleeping in the cemetery was the single most ridiculous scene of the entire series.

by Anonymousreply 152August 20, 2018 9:07 PM

Says you 152

by Anonymousreply 153August 20, 2018 9:39 PM

[quote] His running off with the ashes and sleeping in the cemetery was the single most ridiculous scene of the entire series.

The montage of him trying to cast an anti-love spell with Amy Irving has that beat by a mile.

by Anonymousreply 154August 20, 2018 10:13 PM

Dashing off with the ashes was a bit over the top. I still don't understand how the mother was in charge. Allison's daughter was legally the person to make decisions and since she wasn't of age, Cole would have done so on her behalf. So, he could of stopped the new age funeral. And, don't understand why the mother didn't understand about Allison being buried next to her dead child. Mare Winningham was great.

by Anonymousreply 155August 21, 2018 12:09 AM

Mare Winningham never disappoints. Why hasn't she had a bigger career?

by Anonymousreply 156August 21, 2018 12:29 AM

I do still like the show, but I'm not really sure why it needs to continue. But I'll keep watching to the end for Maura Tierney. She's really fabulous.

by Anonymousreply 157August 21, 2018 12:33 AM

From what I understand season 5 will be a shorter season. If they knew Wilson wanted out they should have just made this the last season. Maybe they could have skipped the white savior of upper middle class black student storyline.

by Anonymousreply 158August 21, 2018 12:37 AM

They need a return of Josh Stamberg peen.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 159August 21, 2018 12:39 AM

This season made up for the previous one which was largely unfocused. In fact, the quality of this season increased significantly as it moved along. Not sure where they can take it rather than some fairly predictable places: Noah and Helen get back together (I'm sure Sanaa Lathan, who looked fab with really short hair, will be an obstacle to that), Cole exposes Ben as Allison's killer,...

Oh, and Oscar The Ginger Bear was at the funeral!

by Anonymousreply 160August 21, 2018 12:40 AM

Stamberg is my kind of man.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 161August 21, 2018 12:41 AM

Yes, I wouldn’t mind a Stamberg guest appearance in S5! Preferably naked.

Is Sanaa the one who bit Beyoncé?

by Anonymousreply 162August 21, 2018 1:14 AM

R162

Sanaa was (perhaps still is?) Denzel's longtime mistress. Like for over a decade.

by Anonymousreply 163August 21, 2018 2:50 PM

I'm surprised that no one here thinks that Noah and Anton could be a thing.

That relationship is inappropriate on so many levels. Even Anton pointed it out on the show.

It would be hot as hell, though.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 164August 21, 2018 6:39 PM

Given that the next season will be the last one, they may as well have some fun with wrapping everything up: Noah and Anton (it would make for an interesting family reunion: "Hi, mom, you know Noah - you slept with him!"), Helen and the neighbor next door are in a lesbian relationship and raising Vik's child together and Cole... well, Cole could come to my bed, I'd try my best to make him get over Allison.

by Anonymousreply 165August 21, 2018 7:02 PM

I liked when Noah, Anton, and Cole were on their trip to final Allison. When Cole and Noah pretended to be married, I thought that was kind of funny.

by Anonymousreply 166August 21, 2018 7:05 PM

I could see Anton having a crush on Noah. He really seemed to be crushing on "Mr. Solloway."

However, Noah is clearly straight, and would probably reject Anton's advances. Noah made out with Anton's mother, FFS!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 167August 21, 2018 7:19 PM

This is why I think that Noah and Anton's relationship is murky.

Anybody in the world would ask this question...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 168August 21, 2018 7:20 PM

I saw an episode by mistake last night.

When did Vik become Indian?

Is there anyone the hippie neighbor chick isn’t fucking? Are Helen’s kids fucking the chick too?

How did Vik go from death’s door to much improved, then to sepsis and just a little while later, no more sepsis or jaundice? Sepsis sure looked easy to beat in that episode.

by Anonymousreply 169August 21, 2018 7:38 PM

I enjoy the subtle shade that Vik’s mom gives to Helen.

by Anonymousreply 170August 21, 2018 8:01 PM

I think Vik is mixed race, right?

by Anonymousreply 171August 21, 2018 8:46 PM

Vik is supposed to be half Indian (mother), half Lebanese (father).

by Anonymousreply 172August 21, 2018 8:54 PM

About as subtle as a sledgehammer R170

by Anonymousreply 173August 21, 2018 11:45 PM

I believe Anton’s writing exercise was foreshadowing to next season’s plot. He calls Noah’s actions and reactions into question and even calls him a sociopath. Could Noah have something to do with Alison’s death? It was odd the writers put Alison on a plane to see Noah right before she died. Has anyone kept track of Noah’s timeline? Is there any way he could have killed her and disposed of the body.

Why did Helen have neighbor slut tell Vic about his unborn child? Was that to help Vic die of shock or instead a spiteful act to stick it to him that he wouldn’t get to raise his child as a consequence of him deciding not to undergo cancer treatment.

by Anonymousreply 174August 22, 2018 1:58 AM

I think it was pretty clear it was Ben.

by Anonymousreply 175August 22, 2018 3:10 AM

R174 Vik wanted Helen to get pregnant when he wasn't going to fight the cancer. He thought having a kid be born after he died was a great idea. He wants his parents to be grandparents. It's a stupid story line.

by Anonymousreply 176August 22, 2018 3:12 AM

Why does Vik think he's parents would be happy to have a kid around after he's gone. They don't strike me as warm and fuzzy

by Anonymousreply 177August 22, 2018 3:19 AM

Actually, I would have advised Sierra to keep her mouth shut about the pregnancy. Who would want Vic's parents in their life?

by Anonymousreply 178August 22, 2018 5:15 AM

Maybe Helen wanted the parents to focus on someone else. Now they have a flakey rich hippie chick to disapprove of.

by Anonymousreply 179August 22, 2018 5:28 AM

I thought Noah would ask Helen for hippy chick's number after hearing she fucked her and VIK

by Anonymousreply 180August 22, 2018 5:42 AM

Is r174 watching the same program?

by Anonymousreply 181August 22, 2018 5:45 AM

I think the writers don't have a clue about how to proceed.

by Anonymousreply 182August 22, 2018 10:49 AM

This shit is a soap opera.

I loved the first season. After that it was a hot mess and I just hate-watch it at this point. Oh, and I like watching Maura Tierney.

by Anonymousreply 183August 22, 2018 12:18 PM

I think Noah and Helen will get back together after Vics death

by Anonymousreply 184August 22, 2018 1:03 PM

S2 was the best season.

by Anonymousreply 185August 22, 2018 1:31 PM

R184

I detest Helen (Maura's great though).

I will be livid if Noah goes back to that cunt.

by Anonymousreply 186August 22, 2018 4:14 PM

I missed 2 and 3 but came back and loved this season. Did Helen ever thank Noah for taking the responsibility and going to jail? Or did she figure he owed it to her or something?

by Anonymousreply 187August 22, 2018 4:17 PM

R187

Never thanked him & continued to be a raging cunt.

Just once I wanted Noah to unload all the vitriol he had to swallow so her ass could skate free.

Rip her to shreds.

by Anonymousreply 188August 22, 2018 4:29 PM

S1 and S2 were the best - Maura Tierney is the highlight of the show. As I said earlier, I hope her mother Margaret is back on the show next season. I also wouldn’t mind Whitney being back. She’s so self centered but it’s fun when Helen and Noah get fed up and tell her off and rip her to shreds.

R174 In what universe did you think Helen was being vindictive in letting the neighbor tell Vic she was pregnant? That was actually her gift to Vic because she loved him. Helen knew that Vic longed for a child and knowing a baby was on the way would bring him peace. Personally I feel horrible for the neighbor, she’s got a lifetime of dealing with Vic’s parents , especially his mother. Also Noah was not involved in the murder of Allison. We are not going to see any other versions of the night Allison died. Ruth Wilson has left the show. Showtime has made some type of confidential financial settlement with her and she has signed and NDA if the rumors are to be believed. The only way we will see Allison again is in flashbacks of old scenes or scenes using a body double where the character’s face is not visible.

by Anonymousreply 189August 22, 2018 4:31 PM

I'd like to see Season 5 jump 5-10 years into the future. Noah and Helen are back together, Vik is dead and Cole is a single dad.

by Anonymousreply 190August 22, 2018 7:51 PM

So will there be a big fight for Vik's money between the parents, the pregnant neighbor baby and Helen? I hope not. That is just so soapy.

by Anonymousreply 191August 22, 2018 7:55 PM

Helen comes from money (her parents are rich) and the neighbor hippychick's mother is a movie actress so I don't see why they would be so invested in Vik's money.

by Anonymousreply 192August 22, 2018 9:22 PM

I think a time jump would before...Helen and Noah's gay kid could have more storylines. Where is the older son wth the tummy problems?

by Anonymousreply 193August 22, 2018 11:07 PM

Yea,a ten year jump so they can recast the gay son with someone attractive.

by Anonymousreply 194August 22, 2018 11:30 PM

Ruth Wilson AND Alison deserved a better ending. Am I the only one who giggled when Cole ran off with Alison's urn? And did Joni know she was at her mother's funeral or did she think it was a party of some kind? I got the impression Cole didn't actually tell Joni her mother was dead until they were in the car the next day. Vik's mother reminds me of a nasty cashier in my local Rite Aid.

by Anonymousreply 195August 26, 2018 2:00 AM

You’re looking tired, r195.

by Anonymousreply 196August 26, 2018 6:47 AM

No, 2195, you weren't the only one. I said something similar above. And he slept all night in the cemetery without some groundsperson or security guard to tell him to get the hell out of there?

by Anonymousreply 197August 26, 2018 2:59 PM

Maura Tierney is a fucking goddess. Love her character, love her acting. If not for her the show would be utter dreck.

Joshua Jackson is a terrible actor.

by Anonymousreply 198August 27, 2018 12:30 AM

Yeah, Vik’s parents don’t look at all like wealthy, well educated Indians who can look down their noses at Helen. The mother looks lumpy and the father looks like he’s gonna say, “Jerry Seinfeld is a bad man! A very, very bad man!”

by Anonymousreply 199August 27, 2018 12:36 AM

I had a pitch meeting late last year with Sarah Treem. She was quite nice in the room, but turned out to be a major flake.

by Anonymousreply 200August 27, 2018 5:25 AM

The one part I liked on the last episode is when Helen said she fucked the neighbor too and Noah said something like "I didn't get to watch?" and they both laughed. I find Helen interesting too but hate the way she juts her lips out, her and Allison both do the annoying duck lips thing.

by Anonymousreply 201August 27, 2018 6:17 AM

Somehow didn’t get the memo that it wasn’t airing last night. Kind of disappointed.

by Anonymousreply 202August 27, 2018 12:50 PM

Maura T. was hit by a car today. She was riding her bike.

I saw photos on one of the entertainment shows.

Her bike was mangled & she was lying on the ground with people tending to her.

Then photos of her on a stretcher with EMTs transporting her.

The show said she's expected to recover.

by Anonymousreply 203August 29, 2018 8:05 AM

Joshua Jackson is fucking hot

by Anonymousreply 204August 29, 2018 10:06 AM

I loved the affair, but the last 2 seasons went downhill. I wonder what was the real reason for Ruth to walk out.

by Anonymousreply 205September 4, 2018 2:41 PM

She's tried to ignite interest in the real reason, without breaking her NDA. I don't think it worked. The bare interest has faded away.

by Anonymousreply 206September 9, 2018 11:32 AM

Which one of you bitches mowed down Maura on her tricycle??

by Anonymousreply 207September 9, 2018 12:12 PM

I’m rewatching the affair season 1&2, when the show was great. I can’t with Alison and Noah the first season, so selfish for destroying their marriages ( I know it’s the theme of the show, but I can’t with them).

by Anonymousreply 208September 10, 2018 1:10 AM

I don't think I will watch the final season. I started watching because of Ruth Wilson. With her gone, and the show as it is now, I just don't care where it goes anymore. Which is a shame, because the first two seasons were really interesting, and made me pay attention to memory and perception in a different way in my own life, and in other's stories.

by Anonymousreply 209September 14, 2018 10:19 PM

Payback’s a bitch, r207!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 210September 14, 2018 11:00 PM

R210 LOL

by Anonymousreply 211September 15, 2018 8:37 AM

R210 LOL

by Anonymousreply 212September 15, 2018 8:38 AM

So it looks like Joshua Jackson is not coming back. Abandoning a sinking ship apparently.

by Anonymousreply 213October 2, 2018 11:59 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!