Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Shirley Temple

Any gossip or anything scandalous that occurred during her years as a child actress? I've heard ridiculous rumors of her being a dwarf and that her signature curls were actually a wig

by Anonymousreply 37June 12, 2018 3:44 PM

No nothing at all. Nothing I tell you!

by Anonymousreply 1June 12, 2018 2:32 AM

A Hollywood bigwig apparently exposed himself to her, and Shirley humiliated him by laughing at his junk. This apparently really happened.

by Anonymousreply 2June 12, 2018 2:48 AM

Leave Shirley alone! Animal Crackers in my soup . . .

by Anonymousreply 3June 12, 2018 2:53 AM

Shirley Jones, Shirley MacLaine, my Aunt Shirley, your Aunt Shirley, all of them who were born from the 30s on are names after Ms. Temple. Very popular name for women of a certain age. Oy, my Aunt Shirley!!

by Anonymousreply 4June 12, 2018 2:58 AM

You would think if she went to temple she'd have been Jewish!

by Anonymousreply 5June 12, 2018 2:59 AM

From what I've read about her over the years Shirley was pretty well protected by her parents and the only scandalous thing that I ever read was that she realized almost immediately after marrying her first husband (John Agar) she realized that she'd made a mistake.

by Anonymousreply 6June 12, 2018 3:00 AM

Why was he a mistake?

by Anonymousreply 7June 12, 2018 3:02 AM

Shirley was smart as a whip. Some folks thought and joked that she was just an adult midget (using the parlance used back then). Apparently once she wanted to do something and her mother tried to get her and Shirley said "Who's the breadwinner in our family?: or something like that. Great little tapper, though her studio maybe should have tried to give her some singing lessons once she got to be 10 or 12 -- I shudder to think what her version of "Over the Rainbow" might have been had she been cast as originally planned. It just would have been cutesy.

by Anonymousreply 8June 12, 2018 3:07 AM

Casted

by Anonymousreply 9June 12, 2018 3:17 AM

She smoked cigars from the age of eight until she gave them up on her twenty-first birthday.

by Anonymousreply 10June 12, 2018 3:20 AM

R9 Cast.

cunt

by Anonymousreply 11June 12, 2018 3:22 AM

In her autobiography, "Child Star", Shirley mentioned the bizarre rumors that circulated about her age. At the height of her fame, someone claimed that Shirley was a thirty year old dwarf with a husband & five children. The late Ms. Temple 's mother was deeply distressed by these stories.

by Anonymousreply 12June 12, 2018 3:31 AM

Her first husband, hunky John Agar, beat the shit out of her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13June 12, 2018 3:37 AM

Actually R3, Darlene ate her our while Spankie jacked it, hence his nickname.

by Anonymousreply 14June 12, 2018 3:45 AM

John Agar was a handsome drunk who abused Shirley badly.

Any news about Shirley’s kids?

by Anonymousreply 15June 12, 2018 4:24 AM

r4 Shirley you jest?

by Anonymousreply 16June 12, 2018 4:39 AM

i was shocked to see her smoking a peace pipe in “Wee Willy Winky”. She must’ve been about 8, and she was smoking this big pipe. Back when I first watched it, in the 70’s, I didn’t even think anything of it. Now, watching it as an adult, I can’t believe it. It’s no wonder why she started smoking cigarettes at 16 (according to her autobiography).

by Anonymousreply 17June 12, 2018 4:47 AM

She said she soon realised John Agar was actually into tall, leggy blonds and she had none of those attributes.

by Anonymousreply 18June 12, 2018 5:01 AM

I've heard that her signature curls weren't a wig, they were extensions. I don't remember exactly how those were done in those days, but kids of pre-school age don't have thick hair, so they attacked ringlets to her natural hair.

When she was older they probably stopped, she did have naturally curly hair.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19June 12, 2018 5:06 AM

[quote]kids of pre-school age don't have thick hair

Oh, quite a few do have thick hair. I work right alongside a preschool class, and I see the little cuties with hair almost as long as they are tall.

by Anonymousreply 20June 12, 2018 5:31 AM

Wasn't her daughter a Mekon?

by Anonymousreply 21June 12, 2018 5:34 AM

R19 = Bryan Singer

by Anonymousreply 22June 12, 2018 5:42 AM

I loved Shirley Temple when I was a kid. I thought she was so adorable. Sad to hear her husband beat her. Glad she got out of that marriage!

by Anonymousreply 23June 12, 2018 5:44 AM

[quote] Wasn't her daughter a Mekon?

Henry, did I bomb Shirley Temple’s daughter? Get J. Edgar on that.

by Anonymousreply 24June 12, 2018 5:45 AM

Did her pussy stink?

by Anonymousreply 25June 12, 2018 5:57 AM

Like rancid garbage, R25.

by Anonymousreply 26June 12, 2018 6:02 AM

I never liked that little hoofer.

by Anonymousreply 27June 12, 2018 6:08 AM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28June 12, 2018 6:13 AM

She was a stark raving nympho by age 9.

And that was after they calmed her down.

by Anonymousreply 29June 12, 2018 6:20 AM

I recall her saying something along the lines that when she turned 12 one of the executives started hitting on her so she left the room and told her mother. Her mother laughed and said, "While he was hitting on your, his assistant was hitting on me. " Or something along those lines.

Shirley always said, she LIKED being an actress and liked doing what she was doing and was treated very well. Her only slip up seemed to be her early marriage where she married to shed her "goody goody" image. But that could've happened to her regardless of whether or not she was an actress. That seemed well within the bounds of a "normal" teen who had been a bit sheltered.

by Anonymousreply 30June 12, 2018 6:25 AM

[quote]someone claimed that Shirley was a thirty year old dwarf with a husband & five children

That story sounds familiar...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31June 12, 2018 8:34 AM

She was a superb child dancer--in later years her co-stars like Buddy Ebsen and Bill "Bojangles" Robinson would praise her dancing skills.

My favorite of her dancing performances is "At the Codfish Ball" from "Captain January."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32June 12, 2018 8:59 AM

My first trip to Santa Monica in the 1930s and I was sitting my first morning at a lovely and typical outdoor cafe on Santa Monica Pier having an espresso and a taco and who strolled by?

Shirley Temple, wearing an elegant long woolen cape with a matching scarf. It couldn't have been a more appropriate welcome to SaMo.

by Anonymousreply 33June 12, 2018 2:15 PM

R33, ur old.

by Anonymousreply 34June 12, 2018 2:18 PM

I think I read they just bobby pinned a few extra curls in her hair.

by Anonymousreply 35June 12, 2018 3:08 PM

Always loved Carol Burnett's impression.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36June 12, 2018 3:37 PM

She began in burlesk.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37June 12, 2018 3:44 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!