Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Singing "Bye, Bye, Blackbird" on Iris's patio.

I read on a FB post (which I can't find, dammit) that Harding 'Pete' Lemay has passed away.

Nothing comes up on a news or obituary search.

Anyone hear anything?

He turned 96 in March.

by Anonymousreply 40July 10, 2018 4:12 AM

GREAT headline, OP.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1June 8, 2018 10:06 PM

Can't find anything about Lemay dying, but did find this interview.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2June 9, 2018 1:40 AM

We did sort of cover this concept in an earlier thread title, my dearest one.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3June 9, 2018 3:04 AM

He last had a production of a play in 2016

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4June 9, 2018 3:06 AM

Thanks, R1, I know it is similar to another thread from a while back, but, if the sad news is true, it's appropriate.

I don't [italic] feel [/italic] ancient, but I'm in '50s and Mom and Grammy had ANOTHER WORLD on when I was growing up.

I remember (barely) Caroline Johnson, flashbacks to various folks picking up the statue that clubbed Wayne Addison to death, and more clearly, Alice running off to be Dennis Carrington's nurse in New York, Rachel's redemption, the arrival of Iris (even at a younger age I could see her fascination with her father was a bit much), Robert and Lenore, Steve and Alice, St. Croix, John falling for Olive ("All-leave") and her hottie b.f. Evan Webster, Steve's 'death', and the Frame siblings.

School was horrible, a parent had died, and being able to escape into Bay City for an hour (and later 90 minutes) was a joy.

I can't say I was turned on by any of the guys (not that they weren't hot -- I was young) or that I regarded Mac as the ultimate father the way other viewers did, but I remember them all living these tortured and glamorous lives that were examined and celebrated.

Years later, I got through a mutual acquaintance a SIGNED copy of [italic] Eight Years in Another World [/italic].

It's a prized possession.

If anyone sees an update please post.

TIA.

Also: the slashing of Iris' portrait, I swear I remember seeing 'HiYa, Iris' and Gail Brown stealing scenes left and right, Angie/Willis/Gwen (that first Willis was so sexy and cocky!), the friendship between Jamie and Dennis

by Anonymousreply 5June 9, 2018 3:16 AM

I’ll be singing a happy tune if its true. He was a miserable old alcoholic. Oh happy days!!!!! Best news since McKunty croaked off 10 years ago.

by Anonymousreply 6June 9, 2018 3:24 AM

I think it's just a rumor.

No sign of anything in the news.

by Anonymousreply 7June 9, 2018 9:01 PM

R5, how could you not mention Dennis (or “Dinnis,” as Dawn Wheeler in Texas addressed him) and Jamie finding the chopped up remains of their beloved Rocky under the floorboards of the boathouse? And didn’t John Braden, who played Rocky, actually play a butcher on a series of commercials for meat seasoning?

by Anonymousreply 8June 9, 2018 9:53 PM

R8, those and a million more...Elliot Wainright (sp?), Rachel working on Mac's bust, the monologue she gave about driving by the house Mac bought for her when she was a kid, those knockdown scenes from a marriage battles they'd have, I left off my favorite heroine -- Pat Matthews -- the show never recovered from losing her IMHO, gossipy Aunt Liz and her devastation when Mac chose Rachel. Louise Goddard talking to her plants, Ada's no-nonsense approach to life....it was so sad to see AW lose 90%+ of this as the years went on.

Harding returned in the late 80s and you could see his imprint on the show, but what...the strike happened and he was out? What a waste.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9June 10, 2018 6:09 AM

I was kind of assumed back then that Dennis and Jamie were a couple.

by Anonymousreply 10June 10, 2018 6:38 AM

I loved how Lisby Larson would always lift her chin up when she'd say 'Dennish"

by Anonymousreply 11June 10, 2018 10:47 PM

We Love Soaps is reporting Harding Lemay died on May 26 at age 96.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12July 5, 2018 11:18 PM

He was an old drunk.

by Anonymousreply 13July 5, 2018 11:25 PM

Highly overrated writer. Very pretentious dialogue. Didn't really care for his writing on any soap he created.

by Anonymousreply 14July 6, 2018 12:11 AM

Very sad.

Victoria Wyndham is the only one left of the main AW crew from the glory days of the 70s.

Yes, I know, there are some other actors like Beverly Penberthy, Gail Brown, Susan Sullivan, etc. who were also there. But they weren't part of the main A team like Mac and Rachel and Iris, Steve and Alice.

by Anonymousreply 15July 6, 2018 12:12 AM

RIP, Pete.

by Anonymousreply 16July 6, 2018 12:55 AM

I thought Wyndham died in December of 2015, and it was announced in May 2016.

by Anonymousreply 17July 6, 2018 1:08 AM

Still alive

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18July 6, 2018 1:15 AM

Paid death notice Harding Lemay in NY Times. Surprised they didn't do a full obit of him given his accomplishments.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19July 6, 2018 1:20 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20July 6, 2018 1:30 AM

Lemay's scenes moved like molasses.

by Anonymousreply 21July 6, 2018 1:43 AM

Slower than molasses. He ruined AW by the time he left.

by Anonymousreply 22July 6, 2018 1:58 AM

OP, here; well, it was true. I didn't have it official at the time, but sadly, I was correct.

RIP, Harding Lemay.

by Anonymousreply 23July 6, 2018 3:59 AM

story on Lemay's passing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24July 6, 2018 6:02 PM

Where’s he buried? I want to go piss on his grave.

by Anonymousreply 25July 6, 2018 6:37 PM

R25. I'll go with you. I hated the Rachel Mac Iris triangle. WTF. It was so perverted- a love triangle between a father, daughter and a rather unfortunate looking woman. Incest was the old gas bags middle name. Ugh.

by Anonymousreply 26July 8, 2018 1:28 AM

And the daughter looked *maybe* 10 years younger than the father.

by Anonymousreply 27July 8, 2018 1:34 AM

Which one of you bitches wrote this on Soap Digest's website?

"He ruined every soap he touched. Most notably, the way he destroyed AW and its most popular actors. A nasty, bitter old man who should have been an accountant."

by Anonymousreply 28July 8, 2018 11:54 AM

Are Spicen and the Drew Dixon Douche the same person?

by Anonymousreply 29July 8, 2018 11:59 AM

Dunno, but any time I read their nonsense I just blockity block block right away.

by Anonymousreply 30July 8, 2018 12:12 PM

I don't block him because when I do, I'm forever clicking on some thread he posted in that continues to generate numbers I can see in the farthest right column. Not perfect, the blockity block block process.

by Anonymousreply 31July 8, 2018 12:15 PM

Serial asshole nutjob is losing it, again. Everyone on the tweeterer is ripping him a new one.

by Anonymousreply 32July 8, 2018 1:19 PM

Serial = Drew Dixon Douche?

by Anonymousreply 33July 8, 2018 1:20 PM

Where does Serial tweet?

by Anonymousreply 34July 8, 2018 1:21 PM

Thea-tuh actors never really last on soaps. Lemay was pretentious. God that awful dialogue where people would say 'she is trying to improve her station in life' - NOBODY not even the biggest snobs I've known, have every talked like that. Yes it's theatrical. But also laughable. He despised the matriarch of Another World because she did not like his dialogue. Well she was there at the beginning and he wasn't. She(Ginny Dwyer) was also a dear friend of Irna Phillips so I'm certain he felt her disloyal to HIM. What an arse he was. Dear Harding burn in hell.

by Anonymousreply 35July 8, 2018 3:30 PM

Ha ha! None of you ever met his wife. He was already in Hell.

by Anonymousreply 36July 8, 2018 3:40 PM

[quote]NOBODY not even the biggest snobs I've known, have every talked like that.

We hear you bro! But we also brought in the ratings.

by Anonymousreply 37July 8, 2018 10:27 PM

R35 Is that you Ginny?

Or is it just some bitter ass queen?

by Anonymousreply 38July 8, 2018 10:36 PM

whom

by Anonymousreply 39July 9, 2018 9:04 PM

R35, that's right.

We say 'you and your mother are consummate opportunists from the Valley!'

by Anonymousreply 40July 10, 2018 4:12 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!