Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Sex and the City 20th Anniversary

Sex and the City premiered 20 years ago this week on June 6, 2018.

After thoughtful introspection, I've concluded I'm a Miranda.

Did you watch first-run episodes from the beginning?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 600July 24, 2018 5:44 PM

Or 1998

by Anonymousreply 1June 5, 2018 12:18 AM

The first few episodes sucked.

by Anonymousreply 2June 5, 2018 12:19 AM

It tried to be sociology but eventually devolved into soap. And the movies were like tacky and unnecessary victory laps.

by Anonymousreply 3June 5, 2018 12:22 AM

Datalounge hates this show

Datalounge hates the people who enjoy this show

Insert SJP LOOKS LIKE A HORSE joke

Boring , OP. Try a new thread topic.

by Anonymousreply 4June 5, 2018 12:22 AM

the show hasnt held up, its dated. further, this show encouraged worthless, brain dead suburbanites to move to the cities to live like carrie bradshaw

by Anonymousreply 5June 5, 2018 12:25 AM

"An Armani is best worn... on the arm of an investment banker."

by Anonymousreply 6June 5, 2018 12:28 AM

I remember hearing women talking about orgasms, "the Big O" loudly in groups of people on the street.

by Anonymousreply 7June 5, 2018 12:32 AM

The 20th anniversary is a slightly new topic. It does not seem that long ago.

by Anonymousreply 8June 5, 2018 12:33 AM

YOU HAVE TO FORGIVE ME!

Not a request, but a command, dammit.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9June 5, 2018 12:35 AM

I remember thinking it seemed uninteresting the first season. I read an interview with Christina Ricci, who I liked it the time, and she mentioned that she watched it, and I checked it out after that.

by Anonymousreply 10June 5, 2018 12:35 AM

Lexie Featherstone provided the best possible commentary on the NYC that show portrayed:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11June 5, 2018 12:47 AM

The shark that Sex in the City jumped is named Mikhail Baryshnikov.

by Anonymousreply 12June 5, 2018 12:51 AM

I always imagine Miranda played by Sandra Bernhard, who turned the role down.

by Anonymousreply 13June 5, 2018 12:54 AM

It's very dated now.

by Anonymousreply 14June 5, 2018 12:58 AM

Style icon..... for the AGES!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15June 5, 2018 1:06 AM

I enjoyed it at the time but I don’t have any interest in revisiting it yet. Maybe in another 10 years.

by Anonymousreply 16June 5, 2018 1:09 AM

the clothes are patricia field. other than hiring miss field, sjp's had nothing to do with the clothes.

by Anonymousreply 17June 5, 2018 1:09 AM

The hawtness!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18June 5, 2018 1:13 AM

Sorry, but did heterosexual men ever watch this show?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19June 5, 2018 1:14 AM

JEAH, baby!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20June 5, 2018 1:15 AM

If you watch the pilot episode of SATC now, you won't believe how young they all look. Even Kim Cattrall. And you won't believe how stupid the show is, or why it was such a hit. It's one of those show you may have like at the time, but when you see it again many years later, you're thinking "WTF? This is garbage."

by Anonymousreply 21June 5, 2018 1:31 AM

I’m strangely turned on by SJP’s huge snout. Someone help me understand why. Is it a phallic symbol?

by Anonymousreply 22June 5, 2018 1:50 AM

Anyone else ever noticed that the woman who plays Dr. G - Carrie's therapist - was also a guest at the baby shower in the first season?

by Anonymousreply 23June 5, 2018 1:53 AM

I think SJP was very pretty in this show. They all looked good.

by Anonymousreply 24June 5, 2018 1:54 AM

Cattrall had a porcine nose the first couple of seasons.

by Anonymousreply 25June 5, 2018 1:55 AM

SATC wouldn’t have been a hit without Samantha character. Kim was PERFECT for the role.

by Anonymousreply 26June 5, 2018 1:56 AM

One of the greatest shows ever made. But makes me feel sick that 20 years has passed since it's big buzz debut; Time is a motherfucker.

by Anonymousreply 27June 5, 2018 2:03 AM

R5 there have always been suburbanite kids moving to cities for excitement, glamour, career opportunities. There are tons of books and movies that have this as a theme. Lots of girls wanted to be Holly Golightly before they wanted to be Carrie Bradshaw. I don't think they knew Holly was a whore, the movie was pretty vague. Hepburn looked fabulous that's what they got out of it.

by Anonymousreply 28June 5, 2018 2:05 AM

I liked her hair in the pilot episode it bounced when she walked. I think the shorter very full style frames her face better than the very long center part she's now so very attached to.

by Anonymousreply 29June 5, 2018 2:10 AM

They’ve been showing the (heavily censored) reruns on E! lately. It’s amazing how unlikable a lead character Carrie Bradshaw is.

by Anonymousreply 30June 5, 2018 2:17 AM

The character's looking into the camera and giving monologues is typical dated 90s sitcom, and they were wise to ditch that early.

by Anonymousreply 31June 5, 2018 2:18 AM

Samantha was the only likeable character. The other three were awful selfish cunts.

by Anonymousreply 32June 5, 2018 2:20 AM

I don't think that someone like Samantha would ever spend time with someone like Charlotte, and vice versa.

by Anonymousreply 33June 5, 2018 2:21 AM

OMG! This show was my life!! SJP was perfection!!

by Anonymousreply 34June 5, 2018 2:25 AM

For playing a home wrecking shrew, Sarah Jessica Parker consistently gave a likable performance.

by Anonymousreply 35June 5, 2018 2:28 AM

I binged the entire series for the first time in years a few years back and it really is like a time capsule. That NYC is not the NYC of today. Maybe 9/11 is to blame. Who knows?

I do find it fascinating that so many people wanted to BE Carrie? Carrie's not a very good person, guys. In fact, many times in the series, she's a crazy, unreasonable cunt.

by Anonymousreply 36June 5, 2018 2:46 AM

In what ways is today's NYC not like NYC was then, excluding the obvious like social media and smartphones?

by Anonymousreply 37June 5, 2018 2:48 AM

This is life

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38June 5, 2018 2:48 AM

I didn’t get into this show until several years later, and watched most of it in reruns.

I related most to the Miranda character. But Samantha was the most entertaining.

by Anonymousreply 39June 5, 2018 2:50 AM

I had HBO on and off during the original run. When I didn't have it, I remember reading about the big flowers that Carrie had started to wear. I couldn't believe when I finally saw the ridiculous oversized fake flowers that she wore on the show.

by Anonymousreply 40June 5, 2018 2:58 AM

r36, I don't think the women who wanted to "be" Carrie analyzed her every character trait. They just wanted to be that non-perfect girl who could still get the hot guys, wear the hot clothes/shoes, and be "adorably" self-involved without reproach.

by Anonymousreply 41June 5, 2018 3:00 AM

I loved it and still rewatch it on occasion,but the last couple of seasons really stunk. Some of the episodes were just fabulous,it'll be the Golden Girls of the future.

by Anonymousreply 42June 5, 2018 3:03 AM

Kristen Johnston’s scene in R11 was one of the best cameos of the series.

by Anonymousreply 43June 5, 2018 3:09 AM

The episodes on E and TBS will edit out some of the funniest lines for no reason, even when they're not inappropriate. The scenes will just end and cut to commercial, and you never hear the punchline. It's funny that some people will only know the show from the edited TV version.

by Anonymousreply 44June 5, 2018 3:14 AM

They also cut out major speaking parts such as the couple that the party was being thrown for in Splat! There are others but that's the only one I could think of at the moment.

by Anonymousreply 45June 5, 2018 3:17 AM

More than Madonna's Sex book, this show started women talking openly about sex to an annoying degree.

by Anonymousreply 46June 5, 2018 3:18 AM

The most narcissistic 30 year old "girl" I know is going to New York this month for a Sex and the City weekend with her gals.

by Anonymousreply 47June 5, 2018 3:22 AM

My favorite one is when her shoes get stolen from Tatum O'Neal's party. I think that was the last good episode.

by Anonymousreply 48June 5, 2018 5:33 AM

I escaped rural North Caroline to Manhattan in the 1970s and have always appreciated the time capsule of the West Village at the turn of the century in this show as pointed out above. For the same reason, even though I like reruns of Law and Order and its spin offs for their own value, I treasure them for the way they preserve my beloved lower Manhattan before it was turned into an unaffordable theme park by Guiliani, Bloomberg, de Blasio and their real estate developer backers. The true story of the destruction of St. Vincent's Hospital for the street value of its real estate is a story of corruption and greed at the very highest levels, including the courts, that no one has ever dared report.

by Anonymousreply 49June 5, 2018 6:11 AM

she has taken soo much shit for her donkey face, I don't know why she don't get that chin sawed off like bruce Willis's daughter did.

she is aging so horribly.

pushin 60, she getting the face she deserves...

by Anonymousreply 50June 5, 2018 6:19 AM

Carrie is a pretty loathsome main character; she’s narcissistic, shrill, entitled and thoroughly selfish. It becomes entertaining to kind of hate-watch her and see her get fucked over as the series goes on.

Samantha is fantastic, it’s a pity she’s practically an extra in some of the censored episodes.

by Anonymousreply 51June 5, 2018 9:05 AM

For all of it's ridiculousness, they did have some very moving storylines, generally involving Charlotte or Miranda.

by Anonymousreply 52June 5, 2018 11:57 AM

I still love SATC, and watch it from time to time online. The first 3-4 season were really good. And I loved watching NY pre 911, it makes me nostalgic, specially the first seasons with the jazzy soundtrack they used. The last ones became too Carrie cutesy-neurotic-annoying centric. And those horrible story lines with Berger and the Russian Petrovsky.

by Anonymousreply 53June 5, 2018 2:20 PM

Was it SJP becoming a producer that basically changed the Carrie character?

by Anonymousreply 54June 5, 2018 2:29 PM

The 3rd season was the best.

by Anonymousreply 55June 5, 2018 2:55 PM

Loved it back then and now. I must be the only gay man on here that likes SJP- unless Andy Cohen sees this thread.

by Anonymousreply 56June 5, 2018 3:03 PM

I can understand all of you going after Carrie, but it makes no sense then you would admire Samantha. She was just as selfish and self-absorbed and entitled, and even more sex-crazed.

by Anonymousreply 57June 5, 2018 3:10 PM

Love and friendship

Having it all

Or maybe just a great pair of shoes?

One of them has to be Asian.

Can they be good at their jobs?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58June 5, 2018 3:22 PM

Samantha was likeable and funny.

Carrie was tiresome, annoying, and shrill.

by Anonymousreply 59June 5, 2018 3:50 PM

Of course that stupid bitch Ivanka Trump is on the HBO Sex and the City retrospective talking about how great the Mikhail Baryshnikov character was.

by Anonymousreply 60June 5, 2018 4:11 PM

6 still have a soft spot for the show, although some of the storylines sucked. I hated Berger, and Charlotte was the most irritating of the "girls" for me with her snobbiness and faux naivety.

by Anonymousreply 61June 5, 2018 4:12 PM

Charlotte really was naive, it wasn’t “faux”.

by Anonymousreply 62June 5, 2018 4:16 PM

[Quote] I don't think that someone like Samantha would ever spend time with someone like Charlotte, and vice versa.

Especially after the way Charlotte talked about her when she slept with her brother.

by Anonymousreply 63June 5, 2018 4:31 PM

I wouldn't love a friend fucking my sister the first night they met during her visit. Team Charlotte on that one (plus she still hoped he and her sister in law would patch things up).

by Anonymousreply 64June 5, 2018 5:39 PM

I think the difference between Samantha and Carrie was that Samantha never painted herself as a victim. If a guy fucked her over, she'd move on (except for Richard where she finally showed a trace of humiliation and heartsickness). Any time Carrie didn't like a guy or he didn't like her, she'd play the woe is me card. And her ridiculous obsession with Big got very tiresome and I wish they'd never officially gotten back together. Still, I think we're all probably more like Carrie than we'd like to admit. God knows I had my Mr. Big and, although I'm happily partnered, if he came back into my life again having learned from his mistakes, I can't say I wouldn't at least consider it. Maybe I'm just as unlikable as Carrie.

by Anonymousreply 65June 5, 2018 7:05 PM

I think Carrie's narcissism was part of her appeal to fans. Lots of TV shows have asshole lead characters. The thing is the asshole is still somehow lovable or smarter or validated by all the other characters and storylines. That's the fantasy, being a consequence free asshole.

by Anonymousreply 66June 5, 2018 7:11 PM

I did love the episode where Miranda finally called Carrie on her shit when she wanted to get back with Big. That was glorious.

by Anonymousreply 67June 5, 2018 7:18 PM

I think the word is "flawed" and female audiences found it adorable somehow (it became a TV staple for a while there with female leads in "Weeds" and "Nurse Jackie"). Same thing as when Pauline Kael noted that women want to relate to Holly Hunter's Jane having crying jags in "Broadcast News" (though Kael didn't mean that as a compliment).

by Anonymousreply 68June 5, 2018 7:51 PM

I watch it with Amazon Prime sometimes. I'm kind of fascinated by Miranda.

If the intent was for us to completely dislike Baryshnikov, they went overboard. Those are the episodes that for me are the worst.

by Anonymousreply 69June 5, 2018 8:05 PM

It's embarassing that THIS show--not Friends, Seinfeld, Will and Grace, The Nanny, etc.--inspired millions of white women across the country to flock to NYC. They made NYC into a city that is completely unreconizable. And it was worse than any of the shows that I mentioned in the first line.

by Anonymousreply 70June 5, 2018 8:07 PM

True r70. Hordes of boring, basic white bitches from flyoveria descended on NYC because of this stupid show. Horrible, all of it.

by Anonymousreply 71June 5, 2018 8:42 PM

i dont know how this happened because i am all alpha . but got caught one saturday watching and i was just pulled in due to the 1980s , it took me back to a very exciting time in my life and now i research stuff about the show. new york. the woman whos book it was based on. candace bushnell. does not sound like her life turned out so great. struggles i guess darin star made all the real bucks and she lives in upstate new york with her horse since her husband died. so yea. i am sure if the characters were real life. now in their 60s, it would not be pretty. ..................early 60s is sort of the cut off i think, i mean even ramona off new york housewives is now 61 or 62. you just cannot keep your looks or self much after that age

by Anonymousreply 72June 5, 2018 8:51 PM

Why would gay guys be interested in broads with dried up jade gates and neurotic obsessive personalities.

by Anonymousreply 73June 5, 2018 8:56 PM

because the show takes me back to the 1980s, when things were perfect for me

by Anonymousreply 74June 5, 2018 8:59 PM

r70, Friends provided an equally unrecognizable NY.

by Anonymousreply 75June 5, 2018 10:05 PM

R75, I agree but it didn't have the unfortunate frau effect that Sex and the City had. God, nothing did.

by Anonymousreply 76June 5, 2018 11:28 PM

Friends was a safe, sanitized NYC for flyovers. It's how they imagined NYC to be like, which of course had no basis in reality.

by Anonymousreply 77June 6, 2018 12:23 AM

R74 the show premiered in 1998. Not the 80s

by Anonymousreply 78June 6, 2018 12:31 AM

I'm sure that SJP is pissed now that the legacy has been soiled. Kim Cattrall saying that they've never been friends kills the fantasy of the brand.

by Anonymousreply 79June 6, 2018 5:37 AM

Kim is an old titties and vag showing cunt. No one cares about her except on DL.

by Anonymousreply 80June 6, 2018 5:39 AM

Friends inspired a bunch of flyover Fraus to get “The Rachel” haircut.

by Anonymousreply 81June 6, 2018 5:40 AM

R80 because DL is all about titties and vag.

by Anonymousreply 82June 6, 2018 5:45 AM

R81, it wasn't just flyovers though. "The Rachel" was the most popular haircut in the UK for a while. And Aniston hated the haircut!

by Anonymousreply 83June 6, 2018 5:35 PM

SJP is currently writing a memoir about SATC, with all the dirt. I can't wait to read it!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84June 6, 2018 6:19 PM

[quote] because the show takes me back to the 1980s, when things were perfect for me

Oh, hon.

by Anonymousreply 85June 6, 2018 6:36 PM

R84, I doubt she'll include any dirt. It will probably just be her saying "I never felt like there was any drama between us. We were a family." Something along those BS lines.

by Anonymousreply 86June 6, 2018 6:57 PM

SJ will just go on about "the amazing crew." I doubt she'll even write it.

by Anonymousreply 87June 6, 2018 7:09 PM

If people aren't going to gamble in Vegas, why do they go?

by Anonymousreply 88June 6, 2018 7:11 PM

[quote] And Aniston hated the haircut!

Similarly, Farrah Fawcett-Majors hated HER signature famous hairdo that millions of women copied.

by Anonymousreply 89June 6, 2018 7:13 PM

R78.. correct. about when the show started but its set originally in the 1980s, which is why the girls in the early shows do alot of madonna, looks, with their way of dress.

by Anonymousreply 90June 6, 2018 11:02 PM

Not really, buddy, sorry. Only in flashbacks and only in the movies (or one of them, I think).

by Anonymousreply 91June 6, 2018 11:59 PM

sorry. you are right R91. i was thinking of BREAKFAST CLUB......... god i am old now. how did this happen.?? seems like i was just 35. in my mind i am still 35 but i am but then i pass a window or mirror and i am old. i am old. leaving my 50s soon. oh god. what will become of me.

by Anonymousreply 92June 7, 2018 4:23 AM

[quote] oh god. what will become of me.

whatever it is, I hope it happens soon, because you're a fucking moron.

by Anonymousreply 93June 7, 2018 4:41 AM

The show never really went away, so it feels absurd to have to remember it after 20 years. But not as absurd when in a year and a half we will forced to deal with oughts nolstalgia.... 2000s

by Anonymousreply 94June 7, 2018 7:05 AM

The fact that this show was released twenty years ago is giving me anxiety. I'm not even sure why? I feel old and yet I was actually still a kid when the show came out. I didn't really watch it (again, I was a kid) until the later seasons. Not even out of interest really but more like it was a grown up show and I would sneakily watch it for that fact alone. I always liked Charlotte. There was a brief time in the 90s where SJP was pretty IMO. Hocus Pocus and Ed Wood in particular. But she started getting thinner and getting a tan and I think that really changed her appearance for the worse.

by Anonymousreply 95June 7, 2018 7:14 AM

I was in college back then and they all seemed SO middle-aged to me. It's weird to think that they were only in their early 30s, except for Samantha.

by Anonymousreply 96June 7, 2018 12:23 PM

[quote]The character's looking into the camera and giving monologues is typical dated 90s sitcom, and they were wise to ditch that early.

Moonlighting style breaking the third wall. So cliche by the 90s.

by Anonymousreply 97June 7, 2018 1:03 PM

[quote]le. That NYC is not the NYC of today. Maybe 9/11 is to blame. Who knows?

Bloomberg is to blame. He turned Manhattan into an outlet mall.

During the Bloomberg years for instance Bryant Park went from a public lawn in midtown where on any given summers day you could show up and sit on the grass with skyscrapers all around you, to what it is today — a lawn roped off unless the the private management company is running a corporation’s publicity event there and keeping the profits for themselves.

by Anonymousreply 98June 7, 2018 1:08 PM

R65... In the ridiculous 2nd movie, Big and Carrie are married. When Carrie and the others went to Saudi Arabia, she cheated on Big with... guess who?.. Aiden! What a coincidence, all the way on the other side of the world, that she would run into Aiden. Carrie was an annoying, very unlikable character. Never satisfied, even when she finally landed Big.

by Anonymousreply 99June 7, 2018 1:13 PM

The marathon will be on E! this weekend bitches!

by Anonymousreply 100June 7, 2018 1:29 PM

All the episodes will be chopped to shit.

by Anonymousreply 101June 7, 2018 1:31 PM

The gay character Anthony was stereotypical in a way. He was bitchy and queeny. He was also fuckin funny! The scene in the diner when Stanford bumps into Anthony and Charlotte. Stanford says I didn't go to my prom. BECAUSE YOU WERE GAY!-Anthony blurts out. Watch the scene. It's on youtube.

by Anonymousreply 102June 7, 2018 1:41 PM

Is it true Stanford Blatch was based on Andy Cohen?

by Anonymousreply 103June 7, 2018 1:43 PM

I was in college at the time the show aired, but didn't start really watching until the third season because I didn't have HBO, so I'd have to watch it at a friend's place. I loved it then and still love it now. It's easy to nitpick into oblivion and point out all of the glaringly obvious character faults and dated aspects, but it was a well-written, perfectly cast, adult show when that wasn't such a common thing. Seasons 3 and 4 are probably the best seasons, but I think they're all good in their own ways.

by Anonymousreply 104June 7, 2018 2:02 PM

Inside the writers room

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 105June 7, 2018 2:23 PM

Sex And The City was a far better, funnier show than GIRLS.

by Anonymousreply 106June 7, 2018 2:43 PM

Do we think Kim will be watching the marathon?

by Anonymousreply 107June 7, 2018 2:46 PM

I'm wondering if Kim is bitter that Cynthia Nixon won that Emmy that Kim was so thirsty for in the show's final season.

by Anonymousreply 108June 7, 2018 2:51 PM

R103. Nope. Stanford’s in the book. Sorry Andy/R103.

by Anonymousreply 109June 7, 2018 2:52 PM

The first few seasons were produced by Darren Star and they were the best. More grounded in reality. Once Michael Patrick King and SJP were in charge, it was just a cutesy, narcissistic, twee fest and the conspicuous consumption was out of control.

by Anonymousreply 110June 7, 2018 3:16 PM

Wow, that chick in OPs posted video is fucking annoying!

by Anonymousreply 111June 7, 2018 4:00 PM

It happens with a lot of show that intend to be biting satire originally but then turn into cutesy fan pandering, desperate character redeeming cheeseball entertainment when the shows get popular. The same thing happened with Glee.

I always felt that Carrie was basically an American version of Eddy Monsoon (AB Fab). A rather vapid, status obsessed chick who tries to have her Breakfast at Tiffany's victory ending. But, you know, on her terms because: Feminism. Her friendships with Samantha (successful business woman being able to get Carrie into places and introduce her to cool, or becoming cool, people), Miranda (you can always use a lawyer giving you free advice while sipping Martinis) and Charlotte (Carrie's door to WASP high society) make more sense that way. What rang very true to me is that even though she was a shameless opportunist she also had a hang for gloriously self sabotaging herself showing incredibly deep insecurity issues of believing that she's not worthy of something that could turn out to be good for her (like, say, Aiden).

by Anonymousreply 112June 7, 2018 4:05 PM

Still annoying that, for all that independent woman yack, they still ALL ended up with men in the finale -- not just men but rich successful men. Even working class Steve has to own the bar, not just work, in it. Would've respected it more if Carrie had decided to stay on her own at the end instead of being rescued (yet again) by Mr. Big.

by Anonymousreply 113June 7, 2018 4:25 PM

I don't think the point was that Miranda ended up with a man, it's that she ended up with a FAMILY. That really showed a lot of growth. As was Charlotte getting the relationship she always deserved by falling for short, bald, paunchy, hairy Harry.

And as cheesy as it was, Miranda's "Go get our girl" to Big in the final episode was wonderful.

by Anonymousreply 114June 7, 2018 4:30 PM

Unfortunately, psycho Kim Catrall has damaged the show's legacy. I hope she's enjoying her life as an unemployable actress.

by Anonymousreply 115June 7, 2018 4:31 PM

Give Kim a break,maybe menopause affected her judgement? isnt she like 70?

by Anonymousreply 116June 7, 2018 4:35 PM

Yeah but after all that talk of a new way of raising a baby, two singles, they have to get married AND move to the 'burbs AND Steve has to own the bar, not just be a bartender. And Charlotte's short bald hairy Harry has to be a major law firm partner -- because the multimillion dollar apartment she swiped from Trey's family after a few months of marriage wasn't enough. Oh and Smith can't just be a struggling actor, he has to be a movie star.

It all felt a bit backwards -- and with a subliminal message. Love is great but only with money.

by Anonymousreply 117June 7, 2018 4:36 PM

Carrie becoming the torn romantic heroine was the beginning of the end.

by Anonymousreply 118June 7, 2018 4:37 PM

I’m team Miranda

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 119June 7, 2018 4:48 PM

It became a hit and a water cooler show because it depicted women discussing sex like real women did with their girlfriends. I remember many of the women I knew said it was the first time there was a show that portrayed how real women discussed sex with each other. Of course it had its flaws, but for the time, it was usually consistently funny. I didn't care for the whole Aiden storyline. Carrie was an annoyingly selfish character. I always wondered why the other women would choose to hang out with her. I agree it got too soapy as it moved toward the end. But unlike many shows, it gave a satisfying ending to all the characters. It's funny because despite how annoying and selfish Carrie was, I always thought she and Miranda were actually the closest friends of the group.

by Anonymousreply 120June 7, 2018 5:06 PM

It was Entourage for gays and fraus. And yes, I am well aware of the fact that Entourage started much later than SATC.

by Anonymousreply 121June 7, 2018 5:22 PM

Yeah, let's face it, they were four gay men in the bodies of women. Never more apparent than when Samantha got her face squirted on by the lesbian.

by Anonymousreply 122June 7, 2018 5:23 PM

(Once SJP took over as producer, they became more females validated by males, though. Not a coincidence, I am sure).

by Anonymousreply 123June 7, 2018 5:24 PM

I'd have definitely preferred Carrie not get Big in the end. It would have actually been great to see him show up and have her say "y'know what? I used to love you and need you and hope that, one day, you'd love and need me just as much, but now...I'm good. Peace out."

by Anonymousreply 124June 7, 2018 5:34 PM

It would have been amazing, but they realized the women who were watching this show weren't really feminists, no matter how bawdy and "empowering" the sex talk got, they were mug cradling, chardonnay sipping fraus who wanted a fairy tale ending.

by Anonymousreply 125June 7, 2018 5:37 PM

[quote]It's funny because despite how annoying and selfish Carrie was, I always thought she and Miranda were actually the closest friends of the group.

Yes.

The show is not about four best friends, it's about Carrie, her best friend Miranda, and two other women they know. The show basically acknowledged that when Carrie decided to move to Paris and screamed that she couldn't stay in New York, single and miserable, just for Miranda.

by Anonymousreply 126June 7, 2018 5:40 PM

I am sorry, but I can't see how Kim Catrall RUINED SATC's legacy by not committing to the latest SATC cash grab. I mean, it's the movies who ruined that legacy (and SATC's last season, especially that silly Paris adventure).

by Anonymousreply 127June 7, 2018 6:02 PM

I mostly agree, R127. But I think the first SATC movie was actually kind of a fun way to catch back up with the characters. It was like a really long episode of the series and was geared toward its fans. The second SATC movie was an abortion. No need to have a third movie after that. Kim Catrall didn't ruin the legacy, the second movie did.

by Anonymousreply 128June 7, 2018 6:12 PM

R112, but unlike Absolutely Fabulous, we are supposed to be sympathetic to the main character. It reminds me of something I read an English person say: "Here in England, Sex and the City is mainly considered a comedy. In America, it's considered a drama."

by Anonymousreply 129June 7, 2018 6:41 PM

As an American, I will say: only an American could consider Sex and the City superior to Absolutely Fabulous (it's not).

by Anonymousreply 130June 7, 2018 6:43 PM

So? I’d fuck them. I’d fuck them and their gay boyfriends!

by Anonymousreply 131June 7, 2018 7:41 PM

AbFab works because the fact that Patsy and Edina are terrible people is right in your face--no excuses. And you end up loving them because you aren't supposed to; it feels naughty nd fun. SATC tries too hard to make you care about these self-absorbed cunts, and--with the possible exception of Samantha--it fails miserably.

I would say it is a common difference between British and American TV, but that isn't exactly the case. Tony Soprano and Walter White are terrible people, and their shows make that clear. But you root for them. Cersei Lannister is completely evil, but when she is being kept and tortured byhe Scept (or whatever), you find yourself siding with her to destroy their religious asses. And--to bring it back to comedies--the entire cast of Seinfeld were completely unlikeable and self-absorbed, but you didn't have episodes trying to explain that away or force you to sympathize with them.

In any case, SATC was only good up to about Season 3/4. Any respect I had for Carrie quickly dissipated when she cheated on Aidan with a married Big. It was so disgusting, I spent the rest of the series rooting for her demise. Mary!, I know. But that whole situation was just gross. And by the Berger/Russian guy years, I had tired of it completely.

by Anonymousreply 132June 7, 2018 7:41 PM

R132, don't foget to mention how Carrie confronted Big's wife in the restaurant. God, why couldn't she just leave the woman alone. No, no. Asshole Carrie always has to have her way.

by Anonymousreply 133June 7, 2018 7:53 PM

Did SJP and MPK also remove the "extra interviews" and Carrie's nods to the camera as well? I guess those types of creative choice does not fall in line with the romantic heroine they wanted to portray.

by Anonymousreply 134June 7, 2018 10:01 PM

Doesn't seem that long ago. First two and one-third seasons were cute before it's descent into being insufferable (I know, many find the entire series insufferable). The first season really was the best, IMO.

by Anonymousreply 135June 7, 2018 10:17 PM

"a scruuunch-EEEE!"

by Anonymousreply 136June 7, 2018 10:23 PM

Something that stands out now, that didn't when I first watched the show, is Samantha's over-the-top sexy voice - even for everyday interactions/transactions.

by Anonymousreply 137June 7, 2018 10:26 PM

I don't know why, but I loved that gloriously obnoxious jet-setting whore friend of Carrie's in the first season.

by Anonymousreply 138June 7, 2018 10:39 PM

Because the actress was good.

by Anonymousreply 139June 7, 2018 10:40 PM

I said earlier that I thought it was good for two and one-third seasons. I'd extend that to just shy of four seasons if the Steve character was eliminated.

by Anonymousreply 140June 7, 2018 10:44 PM

Did SATC really make a ton of young women move to NYC. That seems like a tough thing to pinpoint. Not that SOME women didn't move for that reason, but a huge number? Isn't it more likely that it solidified the desire for women who were thinking about moving anyway, and changed the way women who already lived in NYC dressed, socialized, dated, etc.

by Anonymousreply 141June 7, 2018 10:55 PM

There is something about this show that makes me happy. Warts and all. Pun intended.

by Anonymousreply 142June 7, 2018 11:01 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 143June 7, 2018 11:09 PM

Absolutely Fabulous got on my nerves after a while. The two main characters were hysterical. Not in a good way.

by Anonymousreply 144June 7, 2018 11:14 PM

Vanity Fair published one of the meanest articles I've ever read about ANY topic in their mag. It was by AA Gill and he described going on the SATC tour.

If I find it, I'll link it.

by Anonymousreply 145June 7, 2018 11:14 PM

[quote] I don't know why, but I loved that gloriously obnoxious jet-setting whore friend of Carrie's in the first season.

YES! - Amalita Amalfi!! I would've watched an entire show with her as the main character instead of those insufferable bitches (except for Samantha; she would naturally be pals with Amalita)

by Anonymousreply 146June 7, 2018 11:14 PM

Who is the hot guy in the opening credits?

by Anonymousreply 147June 7, 2018 11:41 PM

I liked seasons 1, 2 and 3.

by Anonymousreply 148June 8, 2018 12:10 AM

Kim Catrall will be lucky to get Lifetime movies these days. I'll bet her pussy stinks.

by Anonymousreply 149June 8, 2018 12:30 AM

^ Andy, if Sarah Jessica wants to post something like that, make her post it. You're unpopular enough.

by Anonymousreply 150June 8, 2018 12:32 AM

One is the Met Ball icon. The other has beef curtains hanging to her ankles.

by Anonymousreply 151June 8, 2018 12:38 AM

Carrie was a selfish narcissistic woman who had low self esteem. Everything just had to be about her her and her. She was exhausting.

Miranda was a real bitch, a cunt but at the same time deep down she was a really good friend / person.

by Anonymousreply 152June 8, 2018 1:13 AM

Oh how we snarked at Carrie for being such a self absorbed cunt,NEVER dreaming that 20 years later the whole goddamned world would be self absorbed cunts.

by Anonymousreply 153June 8, 2018 1:19 AM

Remake! In today's NYC, with social media and smartphones, of course. Uber might change the game a little for hooking up and going out (though maybe not since they're already in a transit rich city). The sex talk would be raunchier. There would be a trans character in their orbit. One of the main four would be non-binary. the show would probably pander to diversity and have the main four Asian, Black, Latina, and White. But, I'd vote for still having them all white (maybe one Jew), but more diversity around them - including the men they fuck.

by Anonymousreply 154June 8, 2018 1:29 AM

I hated Miranda then loved her cuz she was the only one sho called out Carrie, then she moved to Brooklyn

by Anonymousreply 155June 8, 2018 1:36 AM

I hated Miranda once I found out she didn't say (or nod) hello to her neighbors on the elevator. I hate cunts like that in real life too. It's not that hard, people, don't be a socially retarded bitch.

by Anonymousreply 156June 8, 2018 1:37 AM

In honor of the 20th...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 157June 8, 2018 1:41 AM

Better link?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 158June 8, 2018 1:42 AM

Aguilera was great in that.

by Anonymousreply 159June 8, 2018 1:43 AM

Funny how much better she is than the actual regular cast.

by Anonymousreply 160June 8, 2018 1:50 AM

I always wished Harry had dumped Charlotte’s snobby ass when she whined about other people judging a princess like her dating a schlub like him. What a shallow cooze.

by Anonymousreply 161June 8, 2018 1:50 AM

Harry was too good for Charlotte.

by Anonymousreply 162June 8, 2018 1:52 AM

[quote]If I find it, I'll link it.

Three hours later and no link from Cunt Della.

I found it, took about five seconds.

You're a fucking fraud, Della.

by Anonymousreply 163June 8, 2018 1:52 AM

If this show came out today, it would be four women sitting silently staring at their phones, occasionally looking up to look at something on someone else's phone.

by Anonymousreply 164June 8, 2018 2:06 AM

Yeah, it'd be called Selfies and the City.

by Anonymousreply 165June 8, 2018 2:20 AM

What killed my enjoyment of the show the most was my friends obsession with it. They would insist on labeling all of us as characters from the show. Two of them were always comparing our outings to things on the show. They would get pissy if anyone missed a brunch or otherwise did anything that reminded them that SATC was a fictional show rather than a documentary about our lives. On the show these busy professional women all have time to go out with each other all the time and get laid and do their jobs and get their hair and nails done and shop. My friends got obsessed with this fantasy that you could and should put your friends ahead of work, family and romantic partners. They became exhausting. This started around 2001. Most of them hadn't seen it and we binged watch the DVDs. I will grant you a couple of them were pretty neurotic beforehand. One wanted to go on the tour. I remember thinking the SATC girls were to cool for the tour. The irony of it was that our friend group was much more SATC like before most of us watched the show.

Yes I'm female and it's a female friend group I'm referring to.

by Anonymousreply 166June 8, 2018 2:28 AM

Ab Fab had some funny lines, but seemed cheaply made. They never did any turnarounds or made it seem like they were in an actual room. That character Bubble or whatever her name was, was really annoying. There were a lot of over-the-top, provincial, unbelievable aspects of the show.

by Anonymousreply 167June 8, 2018 2:29 AM

I liked that the show didn't feel the need to give the characters detailed backstories or painful pasts to overcome. You really don't know much about any of their families or their childhoods. It's like everything that came before their friendship was irrelevant. I don't think Carrie ever once spoke about parents or siblings, nor did Samantha. There was one episode where Miranda's mother died, but it was used to highlight the notion that your chosen family can sometimes be more important than your biological one. Charlotte had a brother in one episode who Samantha ended up fucking, but I can't think of any other instances where their family members were involved.

by Anonymousreply 168June 8, 2018 2:35 AM

Link, R163?

by Anonymousreply 169June 8, 2018 2:39 AM

"The thing is, there's some things people don't admit because they don't like the way it sounds, like I'm getting divorced."

" I'm lonely. I am. The loneliness is palpable."

by Anonymousreply 170June 8, 2018 2:40 AM

Nope. Della's the attention whore, that bitch can find it for you.

by Anonymousreply 171June 8, 2018 2:41 AM

They should not have made the movies. That was too much really. The last couple of years were not very good. Carrie with Baryshnikov was embarrassing. and I never got that Carrie ( a plain Jane) got all those hot men.

by Anonymousreply 172June 8, 2018 2:58 AM

R172 plain Janes get hot men. Getting them isn't hard keeping them is the hard part. It was rediculous that they were all so entranced by her. I hated the part in the second movie when Aiden shows up and says his wife is jealous because she's a hard act to follow. She was horrible to him. She would only be hard to follow in the sense that she mind fucked him so bad he couldn't trust another woman. On the show it had ended with her running into on the street with his new baby. He was happy he wasn't mad at her anymore, he'd moved on. That was a nice and realistic ending for the character.

by Anonymousreply 173June 8, 2018 3:33 AM

Carrie talked about her dad abandoning her and her mom to the editor guy at Vogue. But, that's about it.

by Anonymousreply 174June 8, 2018 3:33 AM

I loathed Ron Livingston as the BF.

With the heat of ten billion suns.

by Anonymousreply 175June 8, 2018 4:33 AM

I never believed Ron Livingston and Carrie as a couple. It was annoying when he would mime typing on a typewriter when he would talk.

by Anonymousreply 176June 8, 2018 4:36 AM

HBO usually runs the uncut episodes in June for breast cancer month on HBO Go or whatever that is.

by Anonymousreply 177June 8, 2018 4:36 AM

Yep. Berger was the worst. Also, Carrie was at her worst with him. So fucking obnoxious.

by Anonymousreply 178June 8, 2018 4:36 AM

I like Jennifer Aniston's ex-husband as Carrie's boyfriend. It's too bad he had to be written out after one episode, especially since she liked his family.

by Anonymousreply 179June 8, 2018 4:39 AM

Yeah, that episode with Valerie Harper as the cool mom of Justin Theroux was great.

by Anonymousreply 180June 8, 2018 4:41 AM

[quote] Remake! In today's NYC, with social media and smartphones, of course.

LOL. What do you think HBO's Girls starring Lens Dunham was?

by Anonymousreply 181June 8, 2018 7:01 AM

That was a good episode R179

by Anonymousreply 182June 8, 2018 11:54 AM

LOL R165

by Anonymousreply 183June 8, 2018 11:57 AM

For all the control SJP had, she certainly picked two clunkers for Carrie's final storylines.

by Anonymousreply 184June 8, 2018 1:05 PM

[Quote] [R132], don't foget to mention how Carrie confronted Big's wife in the restaurant. God, why couldn't she just leave the woman alone. No, no. Asshole Carrie always has to have her way.

Natasha was too easy on her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 185June 8, 2018 4:12 PM

Carrie was insufferable in many situations, but none more so than after her affair with Big while he was married to Natasha. She insisted Aiden forgive her and insisted that Natasha accept her apology. They were both far too nice to her. They should have each given her a patented DL vicious slap!

by Anonymousreply 186June 8, 2018 4:29 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 187June 8, 2018 4:32 PM

I liked Ron Livingston as Berger,and the post it note break up is one of the best episodes ever. I hated Big from beginning to end.I laughed when he dumped her at the altar!

by Anonymousreply 188June 8, 2018 4:36 PM

SJP was great when she knocks the flowers over.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 189June 8, 2018 4:41 PM

Hahahaha, the post-it break-up. Classic. Another insufferable Carrie moment ensued when she and the girls went to Bed, the newest, hippest bar, and ran into Berger's friends, and Carrie goes insane about being dumped via a post-it. The looks on the faces of Berger's friends said it all--BITCH CRAZY!

by Anonymousreply 190June 8, 2018 4:47 PM

I'll bet Bed wound up closing for good around 2005.

by Anonymousreply 191June 8, 2018 4:48 PM

No, he doesn't!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 192June 8, 2018 4:52 PM

Good article on how SATC holds up and how it doesn't. I especially like the part about Mr. Big being a dick. I stayed in a relationship like that in my 20s and early 30s. Finally dumped his ass. I am now in a healthy relationship where my partner treats me well. Healthy love is SOOOO much better.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 193June 8, 2018 5:24 PM

Name-calling is not nice, r163 and r171.

r169, Here ya go, sweetie.

On 2nd read, I'd characterize it not so much as mean but PITIFUL. I was embarrassed for everybody depicted in Gill's account, including him.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 194June 8, 2018 5:40 PM

Another show where a Plain Jane girl gets attractive guys was Lena Dunham on GIRLS. She was less attractive than SJP.

by Anonymousreply 195June 8, 2018 7:16 PM

If Carrie Bradshaw had been my daughter, I can tell you she wouldn't have grown up to behave like that.

by Anonymousreply 196June 8, 2018 10:39 PM

Happiesht of anniversharies, shecks and the shitty!

by Anonymousreply 197June 8, 2018 11:34 PM

Starting in the 1980s, women began to break out and start becoming more entitled. New York City couples started moving to the Upper West Side. And the women would buy these strollers that were as big as tanks. New York sidewalks weren't designed for that, but you couldn't say anything to them because they ran in uber-cunt packs. And it's still that way to this day. You really can't go to any community function like a street fair without them showing up, getting in the way and bitching about anything and everything.

Additionally, what started to happen is that young girls started coming to the city, either for college or to find a job, and not care about what had already been established. In the 90s, I used to sometimes hang out at Marie's Crisis (don't judge me). Marie's Crises is a basement gay piano bar in the West Village. It's a very small place. The point of Marie's Crisis is for show queens to go there and be the Broadway stars they never would be. You go there to sing showtunes. And there was a protocol: certain lifers had "their" song and you didn't request that song unless you wanted to hear that person sing it. Into this tiny bar started to come hordes of sorority sisters who didn't "get" what the bar was about. They would stand by the piano and request songs that nobody was going to sing and the pianist wasn't going to play. And since showtunes weren't their thing, they would stand there and try to talk over the piano and singer. Several times, I saw the pianist stop a song and tell the girls to shut up.

Into this environment comes Carrie Bradshaw and Sex & The City which basically gave license for girls to do whatever they wanted. So the entitlement was magnified. Unfortunately, there was nothing about S&TC that was original. So these girls didn't bother to cultivate taste, they just plowed right in and accepted whatever came along and "trendied" it to death. Magnolia Bakery is an example. The cupcakes at MB are the most dry ass cupcakes you will ever eat. To compensate for a lack of a good cake recipe, they bumped up the sugar in the frosting. So what you get is overly sweet frosting on a dry cupcake. On one episode, Carrie goes to Magnolia Bakery and over night the less than mediocre becomes popular. And you had these girls, exclaiming in their vocal fry, "Oh my god, Magnolia has the best cupcakes."

And this is partly why New York City is so shitty now. These girls with no taste shaped the environment. I was in the elevator at work this afternoon, and one girl vocal fries, "I really love the hamburgers at Shake Shack. They are the absolute best." While Shake Shack has an ok burger, they aren't anything special. They are ordinary. But she's willing to wait on line for 20 minutes for a mediocre burger. Meanwhile, nothing special can come to NYC because you have these arbiters with no class making popular things that are ordinary. And when something really exciting does come along, they strap on their clompy shoes which they can't control and clop down with ten of their friends who make the environment worse than it ever should be. Because rather than shaping a fabulous city, they just want to leech on, ride the culture until it dies out and they go searching for the next thing they can ruin.

So this is what Sex & The City has perpetuated. People who take from the city but never really work to create a better city. They add nothing of value and their shitty tastes push out anything that makes the city great.

by Anonymousreply 198June 8, 2018 11:59 PM

I always thought the biggest problem for later Sex and the City and then the movies was.... don't kill me... too many styling' New York gay men on the production team. I remember a killer line from a savage review of movie #2: This is gay men playing with Barbies.

It had many fine qualities in the early going under Star... then along came Michael Patrick King and it jumped the Blahnik.

by Anonymousreply 199June 9, 2018 12:06 AM

R195... I never got that at all. There was one episode of GIRLS, where Hannah (Lena) went to a beautiful brownstone, occupied by a really hot doctor. In a matter of minutes, they were all over each other. I don't think so.. IRL.

by Anonymousreply 200June 9, 2018 12:09 AM

[quote]environment. I was in the elevator at work this afternoon, and one girl vocal fries, "I really love the hamburgers at Shake Shack. They are the absolute best."

Oooh, r198, I hope you wheeled on her and schooled her, like the r198 you are!

I’m teasing. I really enjoyed your rant and I think there’s much truth in it. I lament the bloombergization, the suburbanization of New York as well.

But then again ... if we pick up an account of an old hands life in the city in the 1930s, or the 1870s, it’s truly shocking to read them uttering exactly the sort of complaints you just did, r198. I mean almost chillingly verbatim. The city is continuously turning itself over, new people are always arriving, and the people who have been around for a while are driven insane by them. It almost leads one to question whether the good old days were really that good — or if they were actually a figment of our imagination ....

by Anonymousreply 201June 9, 2018 12:38 AM

[quote]I’m teasing. I really enjoyed your rant and I think there’s much truth in it.

Really? I'm thinking Mary, get over yourself. You are as bad in the opposite extreme as anything you deplore.

by Anonymousreply 202June 9, 2018 12:43 AM

[quote]Oooh, [R198], I hope you wheeled on her and schooled her, like the [R198] you are!

The other girl she was with said she liked "5 Guys". It caused a bit of unpleasantness and Girl #2 had to keep the peace by saying she didn't like 5 Guys french fries.

I was up against the elevator wall trying desperately to reach my happy place before I ripped both of their voice boxes out of their throats.

by Anonymousreply 203June 9, 2018 12:45 AM

[quote] Really? I'm thinking Mary, get over yourself. You are as bad in the opposite extreme as anything you deplore.

How's the weather in Des Moines? Because obviously if you knew New York, you'd know everything I said is true.

by Anonymousreply 204June 9, 2018 12:46 AM

I wasn't questioning the truth... who could make that up save some sad poser very, very busy being a New Yorker?

Get over yourself. Seriously.

by Anonymousreply 205June 9, 2018 12:48 AM

When it first came out, it was funny how there would be articles about urbane women living Sex and the City lives, in Brisbane, Australia!

My sides!

by Anonymousreply 206June 9, 2018 1:11 AM

[quote]Name-calling is not nice, [R163] and [R171].

I held back, cunt.

by Anonymousreply 207June 9, 2018 1:29 AM

Well SJP did have a nice body back in the day. I remember noticing my friend Emily running across the street in her heels ala Carrie Bradshaw on her toes. I wanted to kill her then but fortunately for her she moved.

by Anonymousreply 208June 9, 2018 1:36 AM

I grew up in Brooklyn, but the way shows portrayed NYC never bothered me. It always made me feel like that type of glamour, free lifestyle and safe excitement were possible for me someday. And it was nice escapism from the poor, dirty reality of much of NYC.

I hated Carrie with a passion though. There’s one episode she is flabbergasted that Charlotte doesn’t offer to give her her engagement ring so Carrie can buy her apartment (I think?). As if she’s naturally entitled to it. Horrid woman. I did like the frank discussion of their abortions, I hadn’t seen a show talk that casually about abortions before that.

by Anonymousreply 209June 9, 2018 3:21 AM

200- That GIRLS episode was a fantasy for PLAIN JANE girls. On television these average or worse-looking girls have these good looking guys interested in them. In real life they would be invisible to these good looking men.

by Anonymousreply 210June 9, 2018 4:06 AM

Mr Big was supposed to have an Upper Class Park Avenue family but he looked blue collar to me. I could picture him taking a metal lunch box to his shift at the Pontiac factory.

by Anonymousreply 211June 9, 2018 1:08 PM

So how will the psycho Kim Catrall be celebrating? Sobbing into her cosmo and raging on twitter no doubt.

by Anonymousreply 212June 9, 2018 1:39 PM

Can you say, DL field trip of dreams?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 213June 9, 2018 2:51 PM

Is that the cast of the reboot?

by Anonymousreply 214June 9, 2018 2:54 PM

[Quote] I hated Carrie with a passion though. There’s one episode she is flabbergasted that Charlotte doesn’t offer to give her her engagement ring so Carrie can buy her apartment (I think?). As if she’s naturally entitled to it.

That episode always pisses me off. Charlotte was right about it not being her responsibility to help Carrie out. I wish she'd told her to fuck off.

by Anonymousreply 215June 9, 2018 4:00 PM

I have met like Carrie character. She’s a selfish self entitled ugly bitch who whines about just everything. Her hypocrisy is exhausting

by Anonymousreply 216June 9, 2018 4:30 PM

What's worse is that soonafter Carrie gets a $25,000 advance from the French sale of her book -- and doesn't mention giving a dime of it to Charlotte to pay her back.

by Anonymousreply 217June 9, 2018 4:52 PM

I believe Carrie was a character you loved to hate. For me the entertaining part was for her to get what's coming to her like Natasha telling her off or Booker's friends looking at her like she's crazy for going on and on about how wrong it was from Berger to dump her on a post it note - like the friends need a lecture on how to end a relationship from her while they are in some club with beds.

I remember the scene where she gets kissed by Alanis Morissette in that spin the bottle game and just standing up and getting the hell out of there like she couldn't deal with that bi issue anymore.

by Anonymousreply 218June 9, 2018 4:57 PM

Sorry, not Booker. BERGER.

by Anonymousreply 219June 9, 2018 4:58 PM

I've seen every episode multiple times - except the last few when she went to Paris. I can't even watch those because it seems like a different show. I also never watch the ones with Sonia Braga and Carrie's annoying jazz playing boyfriend.

by Anonymousreply 220June 9, 2018 5:05 PM

The “All That Glitters” episode also gave these wannabes carte Blanche to descend upon gay clubs and turn them into carnival attractions that they expect to revolve around themselves the second they have walk in.

Having said that, I still love the show for what it was, not what it unleashed.

by Anonymousreply 221June 9, 2018 6:30 PM

I never understood why Charlotte wanted to hang out with any of these women. Carrie should have been Jewish, which would have given another level to her various insecurities, etc.. Miranda always seemed like a Lesbian to me—did men really want to fuck her? Mr Big did seem blue-collar, maybe semi-Mafia related.

by Anonymousreply 222June 9, 2018 6:43 PM

There are some men who are into bossy, no nonsense women who keep them at arm's lenght. Like some women love the broody rebel shouting STELLA! on the street.

Some people just love the drama and the heart break.

by Anonymousreply 223June 9, 2018 6:46 PM

Blossom, you’re so beautiful!

Carrie Bradshaw, you’re so beautiful!

Lens Dunham, you’re so beautiful!

by Anonymousreply 224June 9, 2018 7:34 PM

I knew retrospect, I don’t understand why a show that was so popular both in viewership and the public zeitgeist only lasted for 6 seasons. Shouldn’t the show have lasted another 2 or 4 seasons?

by Anonymousreply 225June 9, 2018 7:36 PM

i am sure if i went through hours of postings i could find it but would anyone mind to tell me what datalounge thinks about where these characters would now be in 2018. i never watched this show and then in the last month got more into it. just wondering , seriously knowing what dataloungers know about real life. how it would have turned out for these women. .. i think carrie was not pretty enough to land and marry a mr. big. so she would be angry 50plus single woman, a bit haggard ...ect. ect.

by Anonymousreply 226June 9, 2018 7:50 PM

Carrie would be like Fran Lebowitz is today, but without the butch lesbian vibe. . Charlotte would be on the board of some culture organization like Central Park Conservancy.

Samanath's cancer would return and she would retire to some quiet place like Arizona to try and get her life in perspective.

Miranda would running for Governor of New York State.

by Anonymousreply 227June 9, 2018 7:56 PM

[Quote] seriously knowing what dataloungers know about real life.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 228June 9, 2018 7:59 PM

The show should hav.e ended at the gay prom with Carrie dancing by herself to 'If You Leave Me Now."

We should all collectively erase the Paris episodes.

by Anonymousreply 229June 9, 2018 8:08 PM

I stuck with it until the bitter end but, I agree, the first 3 (maybe 4) seasons are the only ones which are still watchable. The progression of Carrie Bradshaw from a somewhat relatable character who provided sometimes funny, sometimes bitter commentary on the dating habits of 30-something women, warts and all, to a self-centered, emotionally stunted at the age of 16, high maintenance girl-woman is really painful to watch in reruns. The whole Petrovsky storyline was beyond ridiculous.

Also, it has to be said: the show only makes sense in the pre-2008 NYC. Once everyone experienced the post-crash Schadenfreude, a lot of those ultra-materialistic characters seemed vile in retrospect.

by Anonymousreply 230June 9, 2018 8:17 PM

Kristin was the weakest link, but she got better. Her acting when she tried to get Trey’s attention with sexy red see through was honest and emotional. Also not being able to have a child losing an adoption were well acted.

by Anonymousreply 231June 9, 2018 8:47 PM

She won me over when she asked Harry to still be around her, even if he didn't want to marry her. That was nice. (No doubt the year she was Emmy nominated too).

But I told you I had a friend who worked on the set and said she needed 100 takes to get it right. Watch the long shot after Samantha has come out as lesbian and you see Kristin go up on her line, a long painful gap and then finally she remembers it. I guess no time for another take.

by Anonymousreply 232June 9, 2018 8:53 PM

(This is when she, Carrie and Miranda are walking down a street at night).

by Anonymousreply 233June 9, 2018 8:53 PM

I appreciate that the writers at least acknowledge that Baryshnikov was not their first choice for Carrie's final season love interest, and that they'd approached Liam Neeson (who was still looking pretty fine in those days) about the role. Can you imagine? The actual Paris episodes are hypnotically bad, IMHO.

The rumor was that they spoke to any number of "name" actors before Mischa... poor thing was probably number 25 or 30 down on their list. And frankly, he's giving it his all, but he's not very good or believable. Consequently, SJP is kind of dreadful in her scenes with him: frantically overacting, overcompensating for her lack of chemistry with him. Chris Noth may not be a brilliant performer, but he had a terrific, funny, easy chemistry with SJP for most of the series.

by Anonymousreply 234June 9, 2018 8:55 PM

R234 Sue’s stretch pants are probably the last thing I like to think of.

by Anonymousreply 235June 9, 2018 8:58 PM

Liam Neeson is still a hot daddy! R234

by Anonymousreply 236June 9, 2018 8:58 PM

Also, DLers in the know... can we finally lay to rest the pervasive folk wisdom that SATC was "a show about horny straight gals written entirely by gay men"?

Darren Star and of course, Michael Patrick King were fundamental in this show's success. But the writers' room was well-populated by women (many of them NYC-based, single, and Jewish) as well as the creator of the original material, Candace Bushnell. And a notable number of women directed episodes: a surprising development that was years ahead of its time.

Love it or not, the show is the work of a few visionary gay men and a couple of dozen talented heterosexual women telling their own stories. It's lazy and ultimately, homophobic to say that it's gay men forcing improbable situations and dialogue upon unwitting straight women.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 237June 9, 2018 9:06 PM

Well, it was based on the musings of a right-wing woman (Candace Bushnell.)

by Anonymousreply 238June 9, 2018 9:08 PM

[quote]It's lazy and ultimately, homophobic to say that it's gay men forcing improbable situations and dialogue upon unwitting straight women.

Mary... it's incorrect at worst. I mean, Matthew Shepherd for Christ's sake

by Anonymousreply 239June 9, 2018 9:13 PM

The reason it was considered a show about gay men was that it was unheard of of (grown up) women dishing about sex with their friends. But gay men would do something like that at brunch.

by Anonymousreply 240June 9, 2018 9:23 PM

The russian plotline killed the show, it was god awful. Aiden was boring as fuck too but he was cute so that made up for it. But then the cancer and russian storyline happened.

by Anonymousreply 241June 9, 2018 9:45 PM

The top 10 worst things to ever happen to SATC-

1. James Wilkie

2. Ron Livingston

3. Sonia Braga

4. Skipper

5. Abu Dhabi

6. St. Louise

7. Jon Bon Jovi

8. Aiden’s haircut in season 3

9. Sushi on Samantha

10. Charlotte’s fear of horseback riding

by Anonymousreply 242June 9, 2018 9:47 PM

Things like the aforementioned getting squirted in the face, the "you fucking bitch, you fucking whore!" outburst, the swings, the leather closet... all very gay male experiences. I highly doubt 99% of the female population has dealt with any of them, let alone all of them.

by Anonymousreply 243June 9, 2018 9:48 PM

(Oh yeah, Miranda's ass eating experience too. No way that wasn't a gay thing transferred to the SATC world).

by Anonymousreply 244June 9, 2018 9:49 PM

(Ditto, Samantha's AIDS test and the long list of activities she has done and then the walk back to the little room... pure male experience).

by Anonymousreply 245June 9, 2018 9:51 PM

I liked the Steve Brady character. He was cute... had a nice body.. but really put up with a lot of shit from Miranda. In fact, many of the men on the show put up with the whims and moods of the women. They might protest, but always backed off or was forgiving. Miranda was very mean to Steve, as was Carrie with Aiden.. when they both treated them well. It was very annoying. Clearly, it's a female show, giving in to women's fantasy of acting like a bitch and getting away with it. Carrie especially... trying to be cute and clever, flipping her hair, but was so self centered. In real life, most men would not put up with it.

by Anonymousreply 246June 9, 2018 9:56 PM

my best memory was when they thought one of the girls had met that very unusual straight man who she thought was always gay cause he was effeminate . but then when he jumped on a stool over a mouse in the kitchen she said no could never work. bottom line, i am watching now, Carrie is a high maintence bitch. she has a hot guy , the furniture man who loves her and mr. big who is rich wants her back, and she of course wants the guy with the money. every story line makes sure the guy has money or it will never work, i guess thats real life? bottom line , none of those women withtheir high maintence lives could exist without lots of money. hags, they were all hags

by Anonymousreply 247June 9, 2018 9:56 PM

just watched, so she goes back to Mr. BIG? WHY? because he has money. thats the only reason.

by Anonymousreply 248June 9, 2018 10:00 PM

I think Carrie always went back to Big, because he was unattainable most of the time. He didn't want to commit. That was the lure for her. Aiden, on the other hand, wanted to marry her, but she became a bitch and sabotaged the relationship. Ironically, when she married Big, she cheated on him with Aiden.

by Anonymousreply 249June 9, 2018 10:04 PM

I really dislike Carrie . i am a newby with sex in city. many i did not see. but this woman had a man who waited to have sex with her, and she of course questioned the hell out of it. and then he is the perfect man and she does what... cheats on him with a man who treated her like shit and married another woman . ... speaks volumes about women like Carrie, they are sneaky and you can never trust them, which is why i am a homo. i never trusted women, this episode is a perfect example of why. they weave their string around you , use the pussy power and then non stop questioning of everytihng and poof .. they then deceive you

by Anonymousreply 250June 9, 2018 10:18 PM

I can't listen to Steve's Aw-shucks, Opie from Mayberry little boy voice. I fast forward through his scenes.

by Anonymousreply 251June 9, 2018 10:35 PM

I was listening to an interview with Bushenell yesterday. She said that she and her friends felt empowered by the fact that they had careers and didn't need men to survive. They felt unempowered by the fact that they were considered unmarrigable because they were over 30. She was asked if the characters were like her friends. She said that Charlotte was nothing like anyone she knew, and would have been eaten alive. I never believed Charlotte would have hung out with the rest of them on a regular basis. She was way to prissy and all their sex talk would have offended her. She might have wanted to hangout with Carrie a little because Carrie was cooler. Uncool girls often want to have cool friends. They don't stick around though because they don't fit in. I thought the early seasons did a good job of capturing that idea of being pretty happy with your life but afraid of growing old and dying alone.

by Anonymousreply 252June 9, 2018 10:36 PM

If I remember Bushnell's book of columns, Charlotte was British and was an editor of some kind.

by Anonymousreply 253June 9, 2018 10:41 PM

Gurlfriends, let's be honest, now; which onw are you?

"Carrie," "Charlotte," "Miranda," or "Samantha," "Jayden," or "Mr. Big" ??

by Anonymousreply 254June 9, 2018 10:45 PM

who the fuck is Jayden?

by Anonymousreply 255June 9, 2018 10:46 PM

People are always saying that sex in the city was created by gay men. But gay men aren't the ones going on Sex and the City tours (mostly), copying Carries voice and mannerisms and dressing like whores on a daily basis.

by Anonymousreply 256June 9, 2018 10:47 PM

It’s a fantasy. In reality, men don’t put up with their moods and shit like that unless they are hot like Samantha or Charlotte. The horseface n the lesbian lawyer are fugly

by Anonymousreply 257June 9, 2018 10:57 PM

The one I really couldn't see hanging out with the rest of them was Miranda. She had a real job and she probably had to work 16+ hour days, not even being a partner when the show started. And then, she would have to listen to the conversations of the sort "Oh, he didn't want to split an eclair. Does that mean he sees any future with me??" and such.

by Anonymousreply 258June 9, 2018 11:00 PM

I agree Miranda wouldn't hang out with them either. I don't think the four of them hanging out all the time and being super tight friends was realistic. I could see Carrie being some kind of friends with them, but not this intense 4 way BFFs thing. They would all naturally start outgrowing each other as the demands of their careers and personal lives changed. Plus the constant talk of relationships gets tedious after a while, even people who blather on about their own problems don't want to hear it from others.

by Anonymousreply 259June 9, 2018 11:10 PM

yea i definetly see Carrie would have ended up one of those angry middle aged angry women who did not land a rich man or she would have landed a rich man but no one that looked like Mr. BIG. he was out of her league. she would have had a creepy little jewish lawyer

by Anonymousreply 260June 9, 2018 11:11 PM

I liked when Samantha gets fucked by that firefighter up against the firetruck with his thrusting ass. That was the best fuck scene.

by Anonymousreply 261June 9, 2018 11:32 PM

John corbets character is so very hot. a perfect boyfriend a perfect human. i wonder if men like that really exist. if people like that really exist? in the scene where he says goodbye and "I know myself, i would never be able to get over this (her lying and cheating on him). ... I REALLY LOVED YOU.........god what a hot man he is. that skank Carrie should never have even been allowed to breath the same air. i truly hate women like that

by Anonymousreply 262June 9, 2018 11:33 PM

Like her or loathe her, you can't deny that Carrie Bradshaw had an amazing fashion sense and that confidence made her attractive. I was particularly fond of this daring look:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 263June 10, 2018 12:00 AM

Thank you, R237. That actually makes me feel better. I have some residual gay shame caused by thinking that SATC was written primarily by gay men. Did a gay man write the, “you don’t go to Napa, you take a nap-a!” line? Tell me no, even if it’s a lie.

Della, that article was cruel and funny, almost approaching Cintra Wilson in her prime. Sad, sad scene with the poor SATC mavens eating Magnolia cupcakes in a dirty alley, LOL.

by Anonymousreply 264June 10, 2018 12:14 AM

I disagree r234. I felt like she had NO chemistry with Big. I truly felt like SJP was so asexual I couldn't buy her with any kind of sexual relationship. She was shallow, cold and ditsy. Not really the kind of woman so-called Alpha males go for. That was Samantha.

by Anonymousreply 265June 10, 2018 1:03 AM

SJP doing sex scenes with her bra on was so fucking stupid. Like come on, nobody actually fucks with their bra on all the time.

For a sex columnist Carrie was pretty prudish and boring.

by Anonymousreply 266June 10, 2018 1:04 AM

Amazes me no watching it. They were supposed to be my age. But I feel like those experiments were those of a gay man in mid-90s. In 2000, it just seemed like they took what had been a gay mans NYC and made it into a straight woman’s version. Which is kinda what happened from 2000-2005 - NYC and esp West Village de-gayified and became a straight white women and rich white men city.

by Anonymousreply 267June 10, 2018 1:54 AM

[quote]SJP doing sex scenes with her bra on was so fucking stupid.

Yeah but she did have a bangin' bod.

by Anonymousreply 268June 10, 2018 1:56 AM

I was in my early 20s when SATC began, and these bitches all seemed so much OLDER to me back then. Looking back on it now, I can't believe that three of them were only in their early 30s at the time. I can't believe they were only a decade or so older than me, I felt like they were from my parents' generation.

by Anonymousreply 269June 10, 2018 2:04 AM

Come on, what straight women fantasize about meeting sailors during Fleet Week. That was ripped right out of The Big Gay Book Of Homosexuals

by Anonymousreply 270June 10, 2018 2:17 AM

The "Zsa-Zsa-Zu" never really caught on, but they tried.

by Anonymousreply 271June 10, 2018 3:10 AM

I'd add "Hate Sex" and "The Fuck Buddy" to the list. Was there ever a term more gayly coined than Fuck Buddy? Can't see 99% of the female population using it.

I am pretty sure a woman wrote my least favorite episode of all time, that stupid one with the trapeze and the "Catch Me when I fall..." metaphor, groan. But King himself wrote the one where all four women seem like aliens have invaded their bodies -- the perfume "taking a luvah" episode with Charlotte and her in-store blindfold, Miranda and her sharing elevator idiocy with the black guy and Samantha fucking Richard for no reason at all except to be psycho bitch to perfect Smith. Oh and Carrie upset that she isn't the first woman the Russian has cooked eggs for the day after. Vomit.

by Anonymousreply 272June 10, 2018 3:22 AM

The thought that anybody who's had Blair Underwood would ditch him for David Eigenberg was LOLZ inducing.

by Anonymousreply 273June 10, 2018 3:30 AM

Wow, that Vanity Fair article was bitchy without having any real insight into why someone would go on a tour for a defunct tv show. Surely finding out why would be more interesting than theorising about why the lone boyfriend was present.

by Anonymousreply 274June 10, 2018 3:30 AM

The absolute worse episode was when Miranda was walking by that guy in the hot dog costume and he says, "Eat me." Does anyone really think lawyer Miranda is going to waste time with that idiocy. Real people in NYC are approached every day for money, for directions, for political polls, etc. Real New Yorkers learn to turn it off and keep walking. It seemed like it was a storyline written for Sarah Jessica Parker and she said, "I'm not fucking doing this." So they reassigned it to Miranda.

by Anonymousreply 275June 10, 2018 3:32 AM

(And she was oddly attracted to the hot dog, no less. Poor Miranda always got the stuff that no other actress there would do -- like eating chocolate cake out of the garbage can).

by Anonymousreply 276June 10, 2018 3:34 AM

"I liked the Steve Brady character."

I loathed him and his baby voice. Nice body notwithstanding, I wanted him to be run over by bus or violently attacked on the street.

by Anonymousreply 277June 10, 2018 3:39 AM

[quote] Poor Miranda always got the stuff that no other actress there would do -- like eating chocolate cake out of the garbage can

Some of the stuff I can see Carrie doing. She was ditzy and insecure enough to obsess over a costume character being rude. But Miranda was supposed to be the rational character.

Also, I agree with Kim Catrall that it seemed like Sarah Jessica Parker had a grudge against her and made her do things out of spite. Like the fireman/standing in the street naked episode. And then being a lesbian. And then getting cancer. It seemed like they really pushed Samantha out of her characterization, which was to be the one who enjoyed sex. Do you see Blanche on Golden Girls having to do that shit?

by Anonymousreply 278June 10, 2018 3:40 AM

In the early seasons, they at least attempted to make a commentary/develop a POV, but it turned into full blown comedic soap by the end.

by Anonymousreply 279June 10, 2018 3:44 AM

Miranda also wore a black bra when she fucked Blair Underwood.

by Anonymousreply 280June 10, 2018 3:51 AM

I once read that Carrie Bradshaw was the latter day Erica Kane. I don't know why, but I found it kind of profound.

by Anonymousreply 281June 10, 2018 3:54 AM

R242- will you buy me a big closet?

by Anonymousreply 282June 10, 2018 3:54 AM

This was the best scene the show ever had. Samantha ruled the world.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 283June 10, 2018 3:58 AM

Samantha wore a bra sometimes too, like when she fucks hot Peter Onorati but she can't cum.

The "eat me" episode wasn't the worst. It's one of the episodes where Carrie is fully called out on her bullshit (this time by Charlotte). And Samantha fucks hot Sam Robards in the sex swing.

by Anonymousreply 284June 10, 2018 3:59 AM

I loved that Suffern, NY was supposed to be "country".

by Anonymousreply 285June 10, 2018 4:01 AM

Samantha’s breathy fully fake line deliveries and all manner of speaking really grates the nerves during present day viewings. If she was my friend, I would be like ... “why are you talking like that?”

by Anonymousreply 286June 10, 2018 4:03 AM

As mentioned elsewhere, I'll take Samantha's breathy voice over today's vocal fry any day of the week and twice on Sunday!

by Anonymousreply 287June 10, 2018 4:06 AM

Samantha Jones made me think of Oscar Wilde, for some reason. Always had a witty barb at hand and just moved through the world of SATC like she owned the place.

by Anonymousreply 288June 10, 2018 4:08 AM

Remember when Samantha dumped the water on the tranny prostitutes? Now THAT was funny.

by Anonymousreply 289June 10, 2018 4:14 AM

r289, that was hilarious! if it aired today it would have the LGBTQ whatever the fuck they call themselves up in arms.

by Anonymousreply 290June 10, 2018 4:15 AM

R290- was it REALLY funny?

by Anonymousreply 291June 10, 2018 4:17 AM

What's important is that Samantha felt bad in the end and made amends by inviting them to a party.

by Anonymousreply 292June 10, 2018 4:20 AM

I hear straight women use "fuck buddy" more than gay men.

by Anonymousreply 293June 10, 2018 4:25 AM

I would have boiled the water first.

by Anonymousreply 294June 10, 2018 7:56 AM

I’m a Miranda, too. Insecure, bitter and the worst dressed of my friends.

by Anonymousreply 295June 10, 2018 7:59 AM

I loved Steve, because he was so simple and no drama. Aiden was the same and both highlighed how high strung Miranda and Carrie were and how much they held on to their addiction to drama like their lives depend on it. At least Miranda learned that settling down with Steve is not the end of her life while Carrie probably still chases Big around NY with her walking aid after he dumped her the gazillionst time, because she really isn't chasing him, but the drama he can provide for her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 296June 10, 2018 8:53 AM

R283 👍🏻 Samantha is fucking awesome

by Anonymousreply 297June 10, 2018 9:27 AM

The Sonia Braga/Samantha becomes a lesbian episodes were the worst, barring the entire final season.

The idea that being gay (or straight, for that matter) can just be turned on and off like flicking a switch, and that it can all change if the "right man/woman" comes along was actually quite homophobic.

That didn't sit well with me at all, for a show that was supposed to be so elightened about sex and relationships. Especially with a character like Samantha, who at that point was in her mid-40s and waswell establoshed as liking the D. It would have been a more believable and less offensive story for Miranda, who always seemed like a lesbo anyway.

by Anonymousreply 298June 10, 2018 9:27 AM

Miranda, aside from looking lesbionic until the later years when they softened her look (at which point I would argue she was the prettiest cast member), and aside from the hindsight we now have that the actress was gay...

Miranda was the one with the history of holding men at arm's length, and resisting relationships with them. It would have made sense to have her explore relationships with women, and had the series been truly groundbreaking, she could have just come out as gay. Then we would have had a lesbian perspective on the show. And no whiny Steve.

But Samantha liked dick. She was comfortable in her sexuality and was unashamed of talking about it in detail. The idea that she would just POOF! decide she was a lesbian and then POOF! go back to dick when the novelty of the story arc wore off, was patronizing and homophobic.

by Anonymousreply 299June 10, 2018 9:44 AM

R298 Samantha would have never given up dick-s. The hot guy, who showed up at her door would have been taking in (in many ways) and lesbian lover thrown out.

by Anonymousreply 300June 10, 2018 10:27 AM

Steve was the hottest guy on the show. Both Big and Aidan were duds for me. The other three women all banged hotter guys than Carrie.

by Anonymousreply 301June 10, 2018 10:34 AM

I thought Aiden was a dud too. Gorgeous but fuck... smug, whiny, unrealistic, narcissistic, uncompromising... a baby.

He was early Charlotte, with a dick.

by Anonymousreply 302June 10, 2018 10:54 AM

The guy who played Aidan is a fundie Republicunt in real life. Completely turned me off his character.

Even still, Carrie's affair with a married Big was just gross and made me hate her too.

by Anonymousreply 303June 10, 2018 11:54 AM

R298 I've known real live straight women who developed huge crushes on a particular lesbian. They usually do go back to men. Anne Hache is a famous example. Samantha had already been in mff three ways before Sonia showed up. Women weren't her preference but she wasn't repulsed by the idea of being with women. I've knew a "lesbian" who prided herself on converting straight girls. I puts quotes around lesbian because she married 4 different men before age 35. She also continued to date men on and off. She did date women and labeled herself lesbian rather than bi, we're supposed to respect someone's chosen label. At any rate she was pretty good at seducing straight girls. I also had a friend who was very Samantha like lived dick, over 40 but looked much younger, lost count of her partner number (estimated high double digits), unashamed. It turned out she had been partnered with a woman for over 5 years and they had 2 kids together. All women aren't fluid but fluid women exist.

by Anonymousreply 304June 10, 2018 2:47 PM

R263 Thanks for scaring the shit out of me.

[Quote] The idea that she would just POOF! decide she was a lesbian and then POOF! go back to dick when the novelty of the story arc wore off, was patronizing and homophobic.

Sounds familiar.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 305June 10, 2018 3:35 PM

What about the wedding of Bobby Fine & Bitsy Von Muffling? That will always be one of my favorites.

by Anonymousreply 306June 10, 2018 4:16 PM

I always wondered who the guy is that fucks Samantha and the bed is rolling across the room. The Frenemies episode. Who is he?

by Anonymousreply 307June 10, 2018 5:21 PM

Samantha's best moment for me was that cackle when Miranda announces she has given the ceramic frogs back to the decorator who bought them (at her wedding). Those early seasons really were great.

by Anonymousreply 308June 10, 2018 5:30 PM

[quote] Love it or not, the show is the work of a few visionary gay men and a couple of dozen talented heterosexual women telling their own stories.

Well that's stupid. If we didn't love it, why the fucking fuck would we think the men who created it were visionary and the women who wrote for it were talented?

by Anonymousreply 309June 10, 2018 6:10 PM

R303, he is also partnered with (of all people) Bo Derek. And he has lost his looks.

by Anonymousreply 310June 10, 2018 6:15 PM

Is anyone else sick of ESL rejects like R304 stinking up all the threads here of late?

I assume he is defending the "Samantha is poof a lesbian and then poof isn't" storyline as being something other than a pandering, patronizong, and homophobic storyline that is more a straight guy's fap fantasy than about what lesbians actually look like/do in real life. But I can't tell with all the verb conjugation and word order issues, or the fact that he doesn't know how to form paragraphs.

Tired of deciphering shit here from people who can barely write.

Find a site in your mother tongue or go to Reddit, where they have no standards.

Thanks!

by Anonymousreply 311June 10, 2018 6:24 PM

Take it to nifty, R304.

by Anonymousreply 312June 10, 2018 6:34 PM

The stockbroker, who moved into Samantha's building.. right above her apartment, was hot! (in one episode). He gave Samantha illegal stock tips, while fucking her, when the feds broke into the bedroom and arrested him. The show did have some great looking men.

by Anonymousreply 313June 10, 2018 7:06 PM

R313 Victor Webster

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 314June 10, 2018 7:12 PM

^^Yum!^^

by Anonymousreply 315June 10, 2018 7:14 PM

I wonder why Victor Webster didn't become a bigger star -- or at least a TV staple. One of the all time best looking men and he could act enough, certainly for your average series.

He had a very hot co-star on that mutantesque series he did that also started on soaps -- "All my Children", I think. Had an odd name. So damn hot that he almost caught up to Victor or surpassed him if you liked men with lighter hair. Anyone know whom I mean?

by Anonymousreply 316June 10, 2018 7:53 PM

I never really thought Miranda seemed like a lesbian. That seems like straight people from Iowa's perception of lesbians - she has short hair and is a bit controlling = lesbian. Obviously, lesbians come in all varieties, but I found nothing particularly lesbionic about Miranda.

by Anonymousreply 317June 10, 2018 7:56 PM

On paper Miranda didn't necessarily come across as a lesbian but Cynthia Nixon's energy definitely made the character ping.

by Anonymousreply 318June 10, 2018 7:59 PM

I think Carrie character was famous because it portrayed every woman’s fantasy. Basic selfish mediocre looking women, I mean. Look, I’m not good looking, not well educated, I’m a egotistical bitchy cunt but I can still date hit and rich men

by Anonymousreply 319June 10, 2018 8:01 PM

R319, she represents what every mediocre white woman wants to be and sees themselves as. It's sad.

by Anonymousreply 320June 10, 2018 8:13 PM

On the show, Miranda was thought a lesbian, in an episode. Her boss threw a dinner party, and it had to be couples. She was set up with a lesbian, at a company baseball game. She told her "date" that she was straight. They went to the dinner together, as they went along with the ruse. In the elevator, at the end, her date gave her a kiss. Miranda then said, "Nope. If that did anything for me, my life would be much easier.".

by Anonymousreply 321June 10, 2018 8:21 PM

Mr. Cocky....was that his name, the one guy Samantha couldn't "take."

by Anonymousreply 322June 10, 2018 8:27 PM

""The Sonia Braga/Samantha becomes a lesbian episodes were the worst, barring the entire final season."" NO. the worst is the charlotte and her totally disgusting ugly jewish husband. some writer on the show thought it would be fun to introduce very stupid story line which would NEVER happen in real life. she is beautiful christian girl with money from her first hot husband , she would NEVER go for such a troll. even if he had billions . women like charlotte do not go for ugly jewish trolls, god the views of him nude sitting around her living room enough to make me throw up. so ugly. also,god the storline line about PAUL being a male hustler, NEVER happen, the hot young guy would NEVER be with the troll nelly swishy bald guy. NEVER unless it was for money. ... man the show really went down him in later years as they tried to be so politically correct. they forgot about REAL LIFE

by Anonymousreply 323June 10, 2018 8:36 PM

R322... Yep. Mr. Cocky, who was "too much" for Samantha.

by Anonymousreply 324June 10, 2018 8:52 PM

John Enos who is always adorable. Even more so in person. Even Madonna's brother loved him when he was dating his sister.

by Anonymousreply 325June 10, 2018 8:52 PM

R320 not JUST white women. Women period...

God SJP sucks

by Anonymousreply 326June 10, 2018 8:56 PM

Cynthia Nixon didn't read as lesbionic to me. She still doesn't when acting. She was with a man when the show was filming. She said something about homosexuality being a choice for her. She took some heat for it. I think she's bi and chose to live as a lesbian.

R293 did these straight women use the term fuck buddy before the show. I knew women who started using it after that episode but not before. Prior to the show I heard phrases like fucking good friends, friends with benefits, flingster, it's a casual thing. The women on the show did have gay friends. It wouldn't that odd if they picked up the lingo.

by Anonymousreply 327June 10, 2018 8:58 PM

R323:

1) Learn some basic fucking English. 2) Get some help for your obvious mental health issues.

That barely readable nonsense has no place on DL.

Idiot.

by Anonymousreply 328June 10, 2018 8:59 PM

Charlotte was the only one who owned up to rimming, so she's not so prissy.

by Anonymousreply 329June 10, 2018 9:03 PM

The rimming discussion with the vague intro of "Something is definitely going on lately with the ass..." Again, pure gay talk put into women's mouths. Especially Charlotte in this case. As if!

by Anonymousreply 330June 10, 2018 9:06 PM

I loved every silly show and SJP is still playing Carrie. Last week there was a photo shoot in NYC where she is walking around in Black Silk pajamas with the top unbuttoned to show off a beautiful black bra and the iconic sparkle shoes and about a million dollars in jewelry. During the day. I guess pajamas are the thing now. Recently I was in Atlanta on the patio of gay bar in the afternoon when this guy group came outside to figure out there game plan. One of the really good looking guys about 30 or so was in really nice silk pajamas. I decided to comment how nice his silks were. He said thanks "I got pissed at my wife last night left the house for smokes and have not been home since. Hey we are about to make a coke run you want to go with and drive us". I wonder if SJP was on a smokes run in New York City.

by Anonymousreply 331June 10, 2018 9:06 PM

ONE THING I KNOW FOR SURE...R323 is obviously a very ugly bald jewish troll........lol

by Anonymousreply 332June 10, 2018 9:10 PM

R330 when was ass not on the menu for gay men? Why would gay men be surprised or annoyed that other men were interested in ass. Internet porn made straight guys expect it from women.

by Anonymousreply 333June 10, 2018 9:12 PM

thanks to this entertaining tv show, most people from other countries think that American women, especially the white ones are low class whores which is far from the truth.

by Anonymousreply 334June 10, 2018 9:22 PM

Miranda shouted Lesbian from the high rooftops for me. Even when they kept trying to soften her up in the later episodes, she didn't even seem close to straight.

by Anonymousreply 335June 10, 2018 10:21 PM

I think the reason the show appealed so much to the mainstream is because they were all white, straight women. The end of this scene was very funny though.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 336June 10, 2018 10:28 PM

[quote] NO. the worst is the charlotte and her totally disgusting ugly jewish husband. some writer on the show thought it would be fun to introduce very stupid story line which would NEVER happen in real life. she is beautiful christian girl with money from her first hot husband , she would NEVER go for such a troll. even if he had billions . women like charlotte do not go for ugly jewish trolls, god the views of him nude sitting around her living room enough to make me throw up. so ugly. also,god the storline line about PAUL being a male hustler, NEVER happen, the hot young guy would NEVER be with the troll nelly swishy bald guy. NEVER unless it was for money. ... man the show really went down him in later years as they tried to be so politically correct. they forgot about REAL LIFE

That's not quite how it happened. It started with secret sex. Harry found Charlotte incredibly irresistible and Charlotte needed that after the debacle of Trey, but Charlotte was quite clear she only wanted Harry for sex and didn't even want anyone to know they were fucking. She totally saw him as beneath her at the beginning.

by Anonymousreply 337June 10, 2018 10:48 PM

R335 I always thought they were trying to make her look harder on the show. She looked better in things she did before and after the show. She also always looked better on the red carpet. I just assumed the producers or costume director thought they needed a tom boy. That or they thought serious career women weren't into looking good.

by Anonymousreply 338June 10, 2018 10:52 PM

Marathon Man had such an amazing ass even guys who don't normally rim would have dived right in. I always wanted to slam Miranda out of the way and go to town!

by Anonymousreply 339June 10, 2018 10:53 PM

How disgusting to go down on an unwashed ass. And after a sweaty run, to boot. VOMIT

by Anonymousreply 340June 10, 2018 10:55 PM

R337. i am new with sex in city. but this weekend marathon thing has looped me in, horrible.......can you tell me why it ended with TREY? Last i saw he was getting hard all the time. ? so what was the problem? oh and she got the apartment? what was that worth? 5million? more? how long married, thanks

by Anonymousreply 341June 10, 2018 11:01 PM

A couple of months, it seems, and Bunny fights her for the apartment. I still say her "It wasn't Trey's to give" argument holds water. And Charlotte and her 1 million dollar prenup negotiation just felt gross.

by Anonymousreply 342June 10, 2018 11:03 PM

run her out of town

she has ruined nyc !!!!

by Anonymousreply 343June 10, 2018 11:05 PM

LOL, is this bitch for real? These are the kind of fans the poster upthread was talking about, who infiltrated NYC and turned it into a shithole:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 344June 10, 2018 11:11 PM

[quote] [R337]. i am new with sex in city. but this weekend marathon thing has looped me in, horrible.......can you tell me why it ended with TREY? Last i saw he was getting hard all the time. ? so what was the problem? oh and she got the apartment? what was that worth? 5million? more? how long married, thanks

It was the baby issue that broke them up. Charlotte found out she couldn't have children and Trey realized he didn't actually want children, or was at least okay with it being just them. Charlotte was going so nuts with fertility treatments, etc. that Trey was feeling neglected and thought maybe they should take a breath and figure out how to be a couple for a while. Charlotte wanted to adopt and Trey dragged his feet, so they split up.

by Anonymousreply 345June 10, 2018 11:12 PM

They are all whores. Some happened to be prettier and hotter than the horseface.

by Anonymousreply 346June 10, 2018 11:15 PM

It wasn't until the last few years that I've heard straight guys making casual comments about getting rimmed. I think Sex and the City is directly responsible.

by Anonymousreply 347June 10, 2018 11:18 PM

If any of them would rim like a freak like me it would be Samantha.

by Anonymousreply 348June 10, 2018 11:21 PM

The question that needed to be asked: which one of the whores is the homophobe? And why do you think so?

by Anonymousreply 349June 10, 2018 11:23 PM

Watch the hacked to bits marathon on E! and see that the series should have ended with Carrie dancing alone at the gay prom saying "Anything's possible. This is New York!"

by Anonymousreply 350June 10, 2018 11:26 PM

the worst thing about this marathon is the way they do commercials. the stories last about 7mins then commercial. the commerical breaks are shorter than on other shows but its so annoying cause i go away to do something and its already back on, but for just a few mins.......damn......why am i watching this shit? going to equinox on sunset blvd , hopefully the parade stuff is done..........i love where i live. i never got the new york thing.......74 degrees, went to canyon earlier for hike , now equinox for the hottest people on the planet. yes. shallow.

by Anonymousreply 351June 10, 2018 11:29 PM

So much of the show is censored on the reruns. The best parts are cut out.

by Anonymousreply 352June 10, 2018 11:29 PM

Miranda didn't seem like a lesbian to me.

by Anonymousreply 353June 10, 2018 11:31 PM

I think Charlotte and Trey broke up because they realized they shouldn't have married. Charlotte was desperate to get married that year. She decided while drunk on the ferry that she was going to get married before the ended. She wasn't dating anyone but she was getting married. After that she went on a methodical hunt. Trey appeared to be exactly what she was looking for. Trey got married because it was time and because Charlotte gave him an ultimatum. They didn't date long enough or know each other well enough to marry. Having kids was everything to her and he didn't much care. If she hadn't had fertility issues they would have stayed together longer, but something else would have led to divorce.

by Anonymousreply 354June 10, 2018 11:45 PM

I debated getting rid of the DVD box-set recently during a move. I decided to watch the whole thing and it really does hold up. I'm glad I kept it. Some are unwatchable, but the good ones are still funny. There are a lot of solid episodes throughout the series that hold up today.

by Anonymousreply 355June 10, 2018 11:46 PM

I they Charlotte and Trey were married for at least a year. If you're watching a marathon it appears everything is moving fast. When it aired there were around 13 episodes a year airing a week apart. You'd get more of sense of time passing that way. He was in 23 episodes so he would have been around through at least 2 seasons.

by Anonymousreply 356June 10, 2018 11:54 PM

Was it Charlotte who had sex with the Hasidic artist?

by Anonymousreply 357June 11, 2018 1:23 AM

Yes, Charlotte.

by Anonymousreply 358June 11, 2018 1:25 AM

took a break. back from gym, Carrie in paris.........MR. BIG says . "you are the one".........oh brother, no wonder women are so messed up, they still believe in this fairly princess crap. so dumb. its not real life

by Anonymousreply 359June 11, 2018 1:57 AM

R316 I loved him on Charmed and i totally forgot about that Mutant X show.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 360June 11, 2018 4:38 PM

R354 allrighty, then

by Anonymousreply 361June 11, 2018 5:29 PM

I have always suspected they "uglied up" Miranda due to SJP's desire not to be the ugly one.

Samantha and Charlotte are both sexy in their own way, so having Miranda be hot too would have made Carrie look like the ugly duckling. Thus Miranda's harsh look those first few seasons.

But, as many have said, Nixon IRL is actually quite attractive, and that started to show more in the later seasons.

We already know SJP seemed to take delight in making Samantha do ridiculous/embarrassing things. Maybe she was behind Miranda looking so odd.

by Anonymousreply 362June 11, 2018 5:50 PM

How on earth does someone like R323, with his "beautiful Christian girls" and "ugly Jewish trolls" end up on a Sex and the City thread on a gay message board?

by Anonymousreply 363June 11, 2018 5:52 PM

Berger was the best

- that scene where he struggles with his motorbike when he intends to drive away.

- the FUCK YOU! outburst when he listens to his ex-girlfriends message on his answering maching right in front of Carrie.

- "He's just not into you!"

- the wounded ego about the scrunchie

- the post-it note

That guy was Carrie's Karma coming back to her.

by Anonymousreply 364June 11, 2018 6:00 PM

R363 . instead of wondering about R323. you might want to figure out why you have choosen to conform and fit into a little homo box that dictates why you say , how you feel, and has made you into a little stepford gay twat

by Anonymousreply 365June 11, 2018 6:45 PM

I know I'm alone in this, but I thought Baryshnikov was way too good for Carrie and would never have been attracted to her in the first place.

The relationship with Big should have been over once and for all after she talked to him at the Plaza following his engagement party. Things ended, she felt good about it, time to move on.

That being said, it would have been funny if Big's real name was revealed to be...Bigge. So they would have always been calling him by his name after all.

The actor playing Harry was underwhelming and completely unsexy. He could have been someone totally different from Charlotte's usual type without looking like an amorphous dildo.

One of my favorite scenes in the whole series is when Miranda is shopping for a bra to wear to her mother's funeral and the saleslady not only tells her her correct size but gives her a big hug upon hearing the sad news, much to Miranda's initial chagrin.

The scene at the restaurant when Natasha calmly eviscerates Carrie could have been twice as long, in my book.

After Big treated her poorly, and then Aidan treated her too well, the writers should have come up with Carrie's true love, someone who was creative, passionate, talented and totally different than what came before. The fact that Big, who never would have wanted to be with the slutty party girl for the long term, kept coming back was sheer laziness.

When Samantha is rescued from social Siberia by JFK Jr., who then of course, died, I always thought it was kind of weird they changed it to Leonardo Di Caprio. Would he have had that kind of social cachet at the time? Did they even need to make the change?

by Anonymousreply 366June 11, 2018 6:49 PM

[Quote] The relationship with Big should have been over once and for all after she talked to him at the Plaza following his engagement party. Things ended, she felt good about it, time to move on.

Yes!!

[Quote] He could have been someone totally different from Charlotte's usual type without looking like an amorphous dildo.

Lmao

by Anonymousreply 367June 11, 2018 6:51 PM

[quote]One of my favorite scenes in the whole series is when Miranda is shopping for a bra to wear to her mother's funeral and the saleslady not only tells her her correct size but gives her a big hug upon hearing the sad news, much to Miranda's initial chagrin.

And you’ll never see that scene in the TBS or E! broadcasts because it was cut, probably so they didn’t have to pay the bit part actress any residuals.

by Anonymousreply 368June 11, 2018 7:03 PM

[quote]When Samantha is rescued from social Siberia by JFK Jr., who then of course, died, I always thought it was kind of weird they changed it to Leonardo Di Caprio. Would he have had that kind of social cachet at the time? Did they even need to make the change?

They did that because he died right around the time that episode was on rotation on HBO.

by Anonymousreply 369June 11, 2018 7:04 PM

Well,I loved the Harry and Charlotte story line. I found Harry strangely appealing,and the dichotomy of Charlotte's and his true nature showed a bunch of shallow bitches that good men can be right in front of you the whole time.

by Anonymousreply 370June 11, 2018 7:18 PM

r366 Dicaprio was well-known at the time, but not the big industry power player he later became. He was also very young at the time - early/mid 20s - and really wouldn't have been associating with a used-up fortysomething like Samantha.

by Anonymousreply 371June 11, 2018 7:25 PM

Here's a season 1 photo - don't they all look younger than you remember them being?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 372June 11, 2018 7:28 PM

Sarah Jessica Parker dated JFK, jr. I think she was too devastated about his death at that time to go along with JFK, jr. being Samantha's social status savior.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 373June 11, 2018 7:32 PM

R366 you're not alone in your opinion about Baryshnikov and Carrie. Carrie was always doing this cutesy ditzy shit with him. Ditzy is just annoying on a 38 year old. He could have gotten someone smarter, prettier, more sophisticated, better educated and or younger. It would had made more sense for him to be with Bergen's character or a Natasha type.

by Anonymousreply 374June 11, 2018 8:01 PM

They cast the wrong Melrose Place actress to be Charlotte. It should have been Laura Leighton.

by Anonymousreply 375June 11, 2018 8:04 PM

R372 That picture is just so 90s all over the place--the makeup, the photo stock--that I can barely look at it. The last great decade for popular culture.

by Anonymousreply 376June 11, 2018 8:18 PM

Which HBO was better GIRLS or Sex And The City?

by Anonymousreply 377June 11, 2018 8:28 PM

For whatever SJP's sins are, she is to be commended for not being Lens Dunham.

by Anonymousreply 378June 11, 2018 11:18 PM

Carrie smoking in every bar and club and restaurant she goes to makes the show seem kind of ancient.

by Anonymousreply 379June 11, 2018 11:27 PM

R377 It's not really an apples to apples comparison. SATC was always aspirational. They had glamorous jobs, great clothes, they went to all the trendiest places. They dated rich successful men. The girls of Girls had a lot of career and money difficulties. These problems weren't solved by having a friend sell an engagement ring. They were solved by moving home and getting lectured by mom nonstop and having to take barista jobs temporarily. Girls was also willing to have it's characters do friendship damaging things. One fell in love with the others ex. One told the other she was being a cunt to her boyfriend. They could be supportive, but they could be selfish too. Their conflicts didn't get resolved in a single episode.

SATC put the friend group up on a pedestal above everything including husbands. Big even said any man is lucky to come in fourth with these women. At the end of girls the tight friend group had broken up and people were prioritizing their own careers and relationships. Some stayed in touch some didn't. I enjoyed and got annoyed by both shows. I'd say girls was more realistic about how friend groups work over time. SATC was much more romantic. The only thing the shows had in common was that the four women living in NY thing.

by Anonymousreply 380June 12, 2018 4:37 PM

The thing I realize abou t and the city is, although I don't like the show, it's a very good show to debate the merits of. There aren't many shows I don't like that I can say that about. Probably because there are some redeeming aspects (Samantha).

by Anonymousreply 381June 12, 2018 4:55 PM

Have to admit it was tough watching the marathon on E!. I wish HBO had done it. Seemed asinine for Samantha to be able to say BITCH on TV but TITS was censored. Watching Samantha at the beach house party with the young girls and their fake (censored)!

by Anonymousreply 382June 12, 2018 6:28 PM

Trigger warning: Gloriously “problematic”

SJW snowflakes be warned!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 383June 12, 2018 7:41 PM

Why does old age take all the fun out of everything. What a funny clip r 383. All the SAC cast are so serious now and all sense of humor has disappeared. I think I like Samantha and Carrie more than Kim and SJP. Is all that is left is a red scarf tied around a doorknob when we get older?

by Anonymousreply 384June 12, 2018 8:02 PM

I watched the marathon and then last night they had the movie . so , i am now fully up to date and my conclusion is. 1.Mr. big would have used a girl like Carrie for sex. quick get downs. but no way would he marry her she is not hot enough and she brings nothing to the table. no family money. no connections really and not that hot. so that part is pure fantasy. especially her scenes making him go out when he wants to stay home. forget it. a wealthy guy like Mr. big has seen and done it all. he would tell her to get out with her wanting to go out all the time bullshit... pure fantasy the two of them. girls like Carrie dont land guys like Mr.BIG 2. I realized, SAMANTHA is sex and the city. she made that show and without her its nothing. none of the other girls can carry the show. everyone wants to see Samantha. she knows that also. and if they ever want a number 3 movie. they are going to have to offer HUGE bucks, cause she can command it.

by Anonymousreply 385June 12, 2018 8:03 PM

R385: Learn some basic fucking English or stop posting here.

This is DL, sweetie. We don't go for that barely literate shit here. Maybe Reddit would be more your speed.

by Anonymousreply 386June 12, 2018 8:32 PM

R386. SORRY. i do the best. 6yrs ago i was in a bad car accident so my brain does not function as quickly as others. i do my best.thanks for understanding.

by Anonymousreply 387June 12, 2018 8:39 PM

r386 you just ripped a brain-damaged accident victim a new one. I hope you're proud of yourself.

by Anonymousreply 388June 12, 2018 8:48 PM

R385/R387: My sincere apologies, then.

We have a DL troll who deliberately spells poorly, refuses to use punctuation, speaks in ebonics, doesn't capitalize letters, etc. I assumed you were he.

by Anonymousreply 389June 12, 2018 9:00 PM

^ Asshole.

by Anonymousreply 390June 12, 2018 9:23 PM

What is the saying Don't get mad get even. Kim should do her own movie. Cynthia Nixon wants to be a government person. No Fun. SJP is now in real estate and has all those children to raise. No Fun. Charlotte is counting her money somewhere. That can be Fun. Kim we miss you hope you are doing well. Hopefully you are reading a big budget script. Is it too late for you to be in the new 007 as the bad girl.

by Anonymousreply 391June 12, 2018 9:31 PM

Apart from Samantha, the only character I liked was the Lexi Featherstone one, hilariously and memorably played by Kristin Shepherd. It mad me imagine how subversive the show really would have been if it was about a friendship between Samantha and Lexi. I don't think mediocre white girls would be flocking to NYC for them LOL

by Anonymousreply 392June 12, 2018 9:36 PM

I really like Kim Cattrall. I was watching Big Trouble in Little China and her comic chemistry with Kurt Russell is gold. You could tell even then how quick she was, and how astute about where the joke is. Also, Samantha is very much a character with certain mannerisms and way of being which is nothing like Kim in real life, which is why she has not found it hard to cut the cord (despite having the best role on the show). The other three women wanted to keep playing the characters because there is no difference now between the fictional roles and the women who portray them.

by Anonymousreply 393June 12, 2018 9:39 PM

Remember, R385, Carrie was also a bit of a local celebrity -- in New York City, no less (which is why I never bought she couldn't get a loan for her apartment from the bank). Invites to everything. She was socially acceptable for a Mr. Big certainly.

by Anonymousreply 394June 12, 2018 10:40 PM

Yes Carrie was average looking at best-though she did have the big tits and scrawny body that straight men seem to drool over. But Mr. Big was no Robert Redford ca. 1970 or Brad Pitt ca. 1999.

by Anonymousreply 395June 12, 2018 10:48 PM

Of all the men I liked Harry the best. He wasn't a looker but as a lawyer he had intoxicating power and he wasn't shy about using it.

by Anonymousreply 396June 12, 2018 11:33 PM

Hello this is R387. (BRAIN INJURY) . thank you all for your compassion. i did not expect to find that here. and for the poster who chose to attack me. i do hope you find some peace in your life. you seem to be in alot of pain.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 397June 13, 2018 1:27 AM

[quote] Of all the men I liked Harry the best. He wasn't a looker but as a lawyer he had intoxicating power and he wasn't shy about using it.

Even though he was a lawyer, Harry was a very sweet, low maintenance guy, plus, according to Charlotte, he was great in bed. What more would one want?

by Anonymousreply 398June 13, 2018 1:36 AM

i would throw up if i were in a room with harry nude. the scene where he was sitting on charlottes furniture nude was so vile . it made me physically sick. i am totally turned off by creepy bald jewish men, they are like gargoyles . i like good breeding , charlottes first husband Kye Mc whatever. great skin, hair, teeth.. jewish men are attractive until about age 23 to 24 then all the physical traits just get deformed. same for the women. i think its due to inner breeding within the race.

by Anonymousreply 399June 13, 2018 1:43 AM

We heard you the first time, you fucking illiterate anti-Semitic troll... F&F.

by Anonymousreply 400June 13, 2018 1:45 AM

R400. == very unattractive troll unhappy with self and life afraid to pass a mirror

by Anonymousreply 401June 13, 2018 1:48 AM

Kim reading scripts? Honey, she'll be lucky to do those bad Lifetime or Hallmark movies.

by Anonymousreply 402June 13, 2018 1:50 AM

Ooh, do you know where those are casting, r402?

by Anonymousreply 403June 13, 2018 1:57 AM

Kristen honey, you've already done a few!

by Anonymousreply 404June 13, 2018 3:06 AM

Hey, at least you're consistently illiterate. But was it the "car accident" that caused your anti-Semitism, I wonder?

[quote]sorry. you are right R91. i was thinking of BREAKFAST CLUB......... god i am old now. how did this happen.?? seems like i was just 35. in my mind i am still 35 but i am but then i pass a window or mirror and i am old. i am old. leaving my 50s soon. oh god. what will become of me.

[quote]I really dislike Carrie . i am a newby with sex in city. many i did not see. but this woman had a man who waited to have sex with her, and she of course questioned the hell out of it. and then he is the perfect man and she does what... cheats on him with a man who treated her like shit and married another woman . ... speaks volumes about women like Carrie, they are sneaky and you can never trust them, which is why i am a homo. i never trusted women, this episode is a perfect example of why. they weave their string around you , use the pussy power and then non stop questioning of everytihng and poof .. they then deceive you

[quote]yea i definetly see Carrie would have ended up one of those angry middle aged angry women who did not land a rich man or she would have landed a rich man but no one that looked like Mr. BIG. he was out of her league. she would have had a creepy little jewish lawyer

[quote]ONE THING I KNOW FOR SURE...R323 is obviously a very ugly bald jewish troll........lol

[quote]R337. i am new with sex in city. but this weekend marathon thing has looped me in, horrible.......can you tell me why it ended with TREY? Last i saw he was getting hard all the time. ? so what was the problem? oh and she got the apartment? what was that worth? 5million? more? how long married, thanks

[quote]R363 . instead of wondering about R323. you might want to figure out why you have choosen to conform and fit into a little homo box that dictates why you say , how you feel, and has made you into a little stepford gay twat

[quote]I watched the marathon and then last night they had the movie . so , i am now fully up to date and my conclusion is. 1.Mr. big would have used a girl like Carrie for sex. quick get downs. but no way would he marry her she is not hot enough and she brings nothing to the table. no family money. no connections really and not that hot. so that part is pure fantasy. especially her scenes making him go out when he wants to stay home. forget it. a wealthy guy like Mr. big has seen and done it all. he would tell her to get out with her wanting to go out all the time bullshit... pure fantasy the two of them. girls like Carrie dont land guys like Mr.BIG 2. I realized, SAMANTHA is sex and the city. she made that show and without her its nothing. none of the other girls can carry the show. everyone wants to see Samantha. she knows that also. and if they ever want a number 3 movie. they are going to have to offer HUGE bucks, cause she can command it.

[quote]R386. SORRY. i do the best. 6yrs ago i was in a bad car accident so my brain does not function as quickly as others. i do my best.thanks for understanding.

[quote]Hello this is R387. (BRAIN INJURY) . thank you all for your compassion. i did not expect to find that here. and for the poster who chose to attack me. i do hope you find some peace in your life. you seem to be in alot of pain.

[quote]i would throw up if i were in a room with harry nude. the scene where he was sitting on charlottes furniture nude was so vile . it made me physically sick. i am totally turned off by creepy bald jewish men, they are like gargoyles . i like good breeding , charlottes first husband Kye Mc whatever. great skin, hair, teeth.. jewish men are attractive until about age 23 to 24 then all the physical traits just get deformed. same for the women. i think its due to inner breeding within the race.

[quote]R400. == very unattractive troll unhappy with self and life afraid to pass a mirror

by Anonymousreply 405June 13, 2018 4:30 AM

HAAAAA. I think i have a fan.........haaaa. i love it.......... you like me . you really like me.....haaaaaaaaa this is too hillarious. you have copied all my postings. how very very . well, unbalanced is the only word that comes to mind.........ah. um. have i upset you in some way? or are you just showing me love? haaaaa. this is just so wonderful

by Anonymousreply 406June 13, 2018 4:33 AM

Who the hell is Kristen R404 and what the fuck are you talking about?

by Anonymousreply 407June 13, 2018 5:18 AM

r407, see r403.

by Anonymousreply 408June 13, 2018 5:34 AM

[Quote] Mr. big would have used a girl like Carrie for sex. quick get downs. but no way would he marry her she is not hot enough and she brings nothing to the table. no family money. no connections really and not that hot. so that part is pure fantasy.

I would've been freaked out if someone was stalking me and my mother at church. Don't know how he got over that one.

by Anonymousreply 409June 13, 2018 3:43 PM

Her name is spelled with an i R408. Kristin, not Kristen.

by Anonymousreply 410June 13, 2018 3:52 PM

I also thought Noth was too "blue collar" a persona to play an upper-class UES WASP, as another poster mentioned.

by Anonymousreply 411June 13, 2018 3:53 PM

Harry repulsed me the moment the showed off his hairy back (head bald but back's hairy? Dear God! This is hell!). Of course Charlotte would settle with a hairy beast saving her from NY Social invisibility given his successful lawyer status. It was her beauty and the beast fairytale but without the beast turning into a pretty prince.

by Anonymousreply 412June 13, 2018 4:09 PM

While I’m curious to know the story that the previously described “heart breaking, moving, emotional... one more story to tell” Sex and the City 3 script would have told, we’ll sadly never see it. Then again, I can’t think of any story left to tell for the girls unless it was dealing with the death of one of the girls or husbands - but that would be too depressing. And as much as it was nice to have one last outing in Sex and the City 2, there was no story there - no one wants to see Sam be an old whore, Charlotte complain about motherhood, Miranda complain about her job, or Carrie nag her husband about having a TV in the bedroom. I just don’t know what tale a third movie would have to tell.

by Anonymousreply 413June 13, 2018 5:07 PM

Samantha's pussy must've been like fucking the Holland Tunnel.

by Anonymousreply 414June 13, 2018 5:09 PM

In a perfect world, Samantha would be involved with a hot young Russian oligarch, Miranda would be married to her Lesbian soft-ball team-mate, Charlotte would have gone full Orthrodox and be wearing a wig, and Carrie would be a chain-smoking adjunct at some community college. Mr. Big would be in prison for something.

by Anonymousreply 415June 13, 2018 5:10 PM

You can have hair on your back without having hair on your head, but Harry had stunt hair on his back, it wasn't real. His flabby white chest was hairless so he never would have had hair on his back. They just wanted to put him in the position of having to get his back waxed.

by Anonymousreply 416June 13, 2018 5:16 PM

Hilarious Sex and The City 2 review by Mark Kermode. It was so materialistic and shallow it almost turned him into a communist.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 417June 13, 2018 5:33 PM

The second movie was so amazingly ridiculous, between the Liza performance at the wedding of two people who had always hated each other, the groaning one-liners "you knew I was more Coco Chanel than coq au vin," the trip to the Middle East and the amazing coincidence of running into Aidan, the affirmation of Suzanne Somers' menopause book, the over-the-top costumes and Carrie's gross insensitivity toward the husband she'd fought for for years, that I can't believe there has ever been any talk about making a third one. Should have been dead as a doornail.

by Anonymousreply 418June 13, 2018 8:37 PM

You forgot "Lawrence of my labia" and "Erin go braless", R418. I was second hand embarrassed for the hacks who wrote it.

by Anonymousreply 419June 13, 2018 8:39 PM

Sex and the City 2 is easily one of the worst movies I've ever seen. And I don't mean fun-bad like Xanadu or Grease 2 or The Apple or something so jaw droopingly weird that it's entertaining. If I recall, it was over 2 hrs and since there was literally no story to speak of, it felt like it was easily 12 hrs.

You could literally feel poor Kim Catrall trying to salvage something out of nothing as the rest of the girls just paraded around like sorority girls 20-30 years younger than them. It was oddly depressing.

I enjoyed the first film. It wasn't great art and I wish it had ended with Carrie realizing that maybe Big wasn't the right one for her and fairy tales don't exist, but it had some decent plot lines for the characters and I was entertained. After the sequel, I can see why Kim doesn't want to come back. Why would she want to?

by Anonymousreply 420June 13, 2018 8:51 PM

I saw the first movie as a way of tying up the storylines in the final season for the fans of the show. Was it a great movie? No. But if you watched the show in its entirety, it was a fun little follow-up. The second one is irredeemable. In fact, it should be classified as a hate crime for that gay wedding scene alone.

by Anonymousreply 421June 13, 2018 8:54 PM

I never understood why they had that stupid wedding in the second movie. Someone (King maybe) said that he knew the fans always wanted those two together. I remember thinking who are these fans? I've never heard any fan say that. It's such odd lazy writing to pair off to characters just because they're gay. Especially with no courtship. Why would fans be attached to them as a couple?

by Anonymousreply 422June 13, 2018 9:21 PM

I also resent having to guess who was the top and who was the bottom between Stanford and Anthony. Why did MPK make me do that gross calculus? Movies are for escapism!!!! (Obviously Stannie was the bottom but still.)

by Anonymousreply 423June 13, 2018 9:37 PM

Ever heard of a double-headed dildo, R423?

by Anonymousreply 424June 13, 2018 9:39 PM

What r418 said. That second movie was an abomination; especially since most of the country was in a major recession and those fools were running around in $1000 shoes and extravagant vacations. The movie was completely tone deaf.

And Carrie nagging Big. You wanted to throttle her.

by Anonymousreply 425June 13, 2018 9:44 PM

The karaoke scene in 2 was ball retractingly horrific.

by Anonymousreply 426June 13, 2018 9:50 PM

"I Am Woman" no less. And the great burka chase too. Jesus...

by Anonymousreply 427June 13, 2018 10:13 PM

And when all the ladies in the flower shop take off their burkas to reveal the “fall line.” What an abortion.

by Anonymousreply 428June 13, 2018 10:21 PM

Abu Dhabi Doo!

by Anonymousreply 429June 13, 2018 10:23 PM

God, I cringe every time, r429. Whoever's running against Nixon for NY governor should just air all her horrid one-liners from Sex and the City 2.

by Anonymousreply 430June 13, 2018 10:32 PM

Didn't Carrie also talk about having a kid maybe someday, in the second movie? I remember thinking honey it would take miracle even with modern medicine at your age. Women in their mid 40s aren't hemming and hawing. They're either thinking I hope I can or I'm glad I don't have to worry about that anymore.

by Anonymousreply 431June 13, 2018 10:48 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 432June 13, 2018 10:49 PM

I love SJP. She is cool. But I love to hate Carrie Bradshaw.

by Anonymousreply 433June 13, 2018 10:52 PM

Looks half her age. R432.

by Anonymousreply 434June 13, 2018 11:02 PM

[quote]Looks twice her age.

Fixed it for you.

by Anonymousreply 435June 13, 2018 11:05 PM

Why can’t SJP accept SATC had a long good run but she is now too old to play Carrie, unless she is 50 something.

by Anonymousreply 436June 13, 2018 11:09 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 437June 13, 2018 11:10 PM

r437

Come Little Children ...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 438June 13, 2018 11:13 PM

The article said she looked have her age R435. I was being sarcastic.

by Anonymousreply 439June 13, 2018 11:14 PM

I know, R439. I was just piling on.

by Anonymousreply 440June 13, 2018 11:17 PM

I don't understand her attachment to the black eyeliner. If you ever read make up tips for women over 40 articles that's always on the don't list.

by Anonymousreply 441June 13, 2018 11:49 PM

SJP's nose is hideous, why couldn't she have gotten that beak tweaked years ago. Being so thin with a sunken in face only emphasizes a huge nose, surely she knows that.

SJP wasn't so hideous on "Square Pegs". Noses grow as we age.

by Anonymousreply 442June 13, 2018 11:57 PM

"SJP's nose is hideous, why couldn't she have gotten that beak tweaked years ago."

Oh, yeah. THAT'S a bright idea.

by Anonymousreply 443June 14, 2018 12:07 AM

R442 you seem hideous yourself posting such negative crap

by Anonymousreply 444June 14, 2018 12:09 AM

The first time I ever want to the Alamo Drafthouse was to see Sex & The City 2. I was in Austin on business and met up with a friend and I begged her to go with me to the Drafthouse because I wanted to experience it. The only thing she hadn't seen was SATC2, and even though I was a huge fan, I'd heard how terrible the film was. But we went. Well, all I'd heard didn't even come close to how jaw droppingly awful it was.

The worst part was we had to remain silent in the theater because they're hardcore about any sort of noise or talking. In a movie like that, which doesn't deserve a drop of respect or manners, we were DYING to let loose, at least in whispers to each other. It was some of the longest hours I ever spent in a theater and when it was over, we both nearly burst from holding in our derision.

by Anonymousreply 445June 14, 2018 5:42 AM

Michael Patrick King should be hung by his thumbs for destroying his own legacy. The last season of SATC wasn't quite up to par, but it was still a mostly satisfying run. The first movie was disappointing and obviously sacrificed artistic value to play to the masses. But the second movie was absolute heresy.

They have no right to be pissed at Kim Cattrall. She did the all a favor!!

by Anonymousreply 446June 14, 2018 6:28 AM

[quote][R442] you seem hideous yourself posting such negative crap

You must be new here! DL has been calling SJP a horse face, and other horrible names, for many years.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 447June 14, 2018 7:43 AM

the show may have worked for me if someone besides naricissistic horse cunt SJP had played the lead.

her lack of talent and sincerity is shocking, specially on talk shows.

can so see her and bff andy cohen doin lines and dancing round her shithouse.

HOW DO FUGS LIKE HER BECOME SOO FAMOUS ???? people of influence in tv land would have wanted to fuk that beast on her squalid crawl to the top??

by Anonymousreply 448June 14, 2018 1:01 PM

R447 nice middle-school level logic

by Anonymousreply 449June 14, 2018 2:53 PM

[quote]They have no right to be pissed at Kim Cattrall. She did the all a favor!!

Cattrall is the only smart one. SATC 2 was such a piece of shit, and there's really nothing more to do with these characters. All the stories have been told and they're all so much older now, it's time to just let it be. Cattrall knows this and doesn't want to further embarrass the franchise, or herself. It's the right decision.

Most people only watched the show for Samantha anyway.

by Anonymousreply 450June 14, 2018 3:12 PM

[Quote] And Carrie nagging Big. You wanted to throttle her.

And over a tv. How much jewellery does she need?!

[Quote] I don't understand her attachment to the black eyeliner.

It's the same with Britney. She wears it all the time and it just doesn't look good.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 451June 14, 2018 3:51 PM

SJP's long, stringy hair is very aging. She would look so much better with a shorter cut and more subtle makeup.

by Anonymousreply 452June 14, 2018 6:55 PM

R419, "Lawrence of my labia" always makes me laugh. I'm so ashamed

by Anonymousreply 453June 14, 2018 8:01 PM

Sarah's best moment (and a well written one) is her cackle on "Miranda dated an overeater and he overate her!"

by Anonymousreply 454June 14, 2018 8:06 PM

If I were Big, I’d have ditched the nagging bitch wife for sexy Penelope Cruz/Bank of Madrid in the second movie and never looked back.

by Anonymousreply 455June 14, 2018 8:07 PM

Carrie should have wound up alone. But the show was mainly to cater to fraus who lived vicariously through Carrie. They wanted to believe in the fantasy that they could be whiny, entitled and not the best looking and wind up being swept off their feet by a rich man.

Miranda’s arc was probably the best and made the most sense although count me in with those who find Steve’s voice irritating.

Samantha was the best to watch, she had some genuine laugh out loud quips, whenever I rewatch I still chuckle every time.

I unashamedly love the show despite its flaws and can tolerate the first film, but the second film was so jaw droppingly awful. The scene with the ladies running away in burkas like scooby doo and the gang was particularly jarring imo. Had to laugh at the many cringe inducing moments listed in the thread and say it must be one of the worst films I’ve ever seen.

by Anonymousreply 456June 14, 2018 11:51 PM

R456, I always say to people I thought Steve was supposed to be autistic. I was shocked when he wasn't.

by Anonymousreply 457June 15, 2018 12:50 AM

Steve was too dumb to be an Aspie.

by Anonymousreply 458June 15, 2018 12:51 AM

Carrie was the most emotionally stunted of the characters. She didn't act like an adult woman. Fucking a lot of men doesn't make one an intelligent or mature woman.

Carrie supposedly had the career of her dreams, yet was terrible with money. She had $40,000-$50,000 worth of SHOES in her closet, yet didn't have enough money for a down payment to buy her apartment when it went co-op?! Who the hell lives that way? I guess emotionally immature people would be the answer.

Carrie lived in a fantasy world which the flyover women in NYC seemed to embrace. Real New Yorkers basically laughed at this series.

by Anonymousreply 459June 15, 2018 12:52 AM

[quote] She had $40,000-$50,000 worth of SHOES in her closet, yet didn't have enough money for a down payment to buy her apartment when it went co-op?! Who the hell lives that way? I guess emotionally immature people would be the answer.

You'd be surprised how many urban millennials live like that.

by Anonymousreply 460June 15, 2018 12:54 AM

[quote]You'd be surprised how many urban millennials live like that.

Well, they're morons or they must be living off their wealthy parents. A lot of the young people in Brooklyn are trust find millennials and trust fund hipsters.

Carrie sure wasn't a millennial. She didn't look like one. Was she supposed to be younger than she looked?

by Anonymousreply 461June 15, 2018 12:58 AM

Of course she wasn't. But that mindset has become a blueprint for a whole generation of young women (and men.)

by Anonymousreply 462June 15, 2018 1:00 AM

I have $50,000 worth of underwear.

by Anonymousreply 463June 15, 2018 3:58 AM

Cringe de la cringe!

by Anonymousreply 464June 15, 2018 4:04 AM

Carrie was the female version of the fat, male couch potato getting the hot, female model. No matter how neurotic you are, hot men still chase you through NY streets like you are the last woman on earth. Yay!

by Anonymousreply 465June 15, 2018 4:23 AM

I think Carrie getting Big in the end was a romantic fantasy that men who act indifferent to you are really in love with you. Lots of women have had a Big. Someone who makes them feel insecure, who's never 100% available. The sex is good so they keep hoping he really loves them but is just too afraid of commitment to say it. Having him marry someone else was realistic. It's a real gut punch to woman in the Carrie position to find out that he can commit, just not to you. Having him cheat with Carrie then go back and forth but eventually chase her is what everyone who ever had that kind of relationship has fantasized about. The person I'm pining for is pining for me too. Who doesn't want to believe that. Personally I would have preferred they stuck with the realistic emotionally healthy route. One where she accepts the painful reality and learns to recognize the difference between an unhealthy and healthy relationship.

by Anonymousreply 466June 15, 2018 5:11 AM

R465: if we're talking 'Sideways', she was Paul Giamatti's Miles to Aiden's Virginia Madsen.

by Anonymousreply 467June 15, 2018 5:11 AM

Do you think these boys would be on Team SJP or Team Kim?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 468June 15, 2018 8:19 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 469June 15, 2018 4:20 PM

Noth's teeth are terrible in the photo at R468.

by Anonymousreply 470June 15, 2018 4:24 PM

Carrie Bradshaw would have had a brief marriage to some minor celebrity, but her general narcissism and neediness would have doomed the relationship from the start. She never would have seen Big after his engagement party at the Plaza and Aidan would have gone on with his life, happy he dodged a bullet by breaking up with her. She would now be a divorced, grizzled harpy, still wearing ridiculous clothes, with harsh makeup and long, stringy hair, still trying to make the "scene." It's hard to imagine how she would even be earning a living these days.

Miranda and Steve would have had a second child and be living the life in Brooklyn. Miranda would have left corporate law and gotten into something more family-friendly. Steve's voice is still irritating but he still throws a mean fuck.

Charlotte and Harry would also have had a second biological child. They would still be living in Manhattan and spending time with their family. Charlotte would spend her time obsessing about the 'right' schools and volunteering at the socially acceptable places, letting it slip that she wasn't Jewish at birth.

Samantha would marry late, but it would be successful. Her husband would be wealthy and she would leave her business behind to travel with him, and then start a new business later marketing high-end sex toys.

The girls would rarely see each other any more, except for kids' birthdays and whatnot, even though they would assure each other they would "get together soon." Carrie would visit Miranda in Brooklyn occasionally but her comments about needing a visa to travel that far would finally work Miranda's last nerve.

by Anonymousreply 471June 15, 2018 4:46 PM

Loved when Charlotte woke up to see her wedding announcement in the NY Times only to discover her portrait with a hitler smudge.

by Anonymousreply 472June 15, 2018 4:50 PM

[quote] Carrie would visit Miranda in Brooklyn occasionally but her comments about needing a visa to travel that far would finally work Miranda's last nerve.

I think that even Carrie would admit that NYC has become more than just Manhattan. Back during the show, Brooklyn WAS another country, but very soon after, it became very gentrified and hip and not the five day journey with a sherpa it somehow was in the 90s/00's.

by Anonymousreply 473June 15, 2018 4:55 PM

R471. It's hard to imagine how she would even be earning a living these days."............SHE WOULD BE A REALTOR

by Anonymousreply 474June 15, 2018 4:55 PM

R474, you're exactly right.

by Anonymousreply 475June 15, 2018 5:05 PM

The current show 'Unreal' is an extension of Sex and the City and Girls.

Mediocre looking, bitchy girl, has ALL the men lining up to be with her. So of course, the show appeals to mediocre looking bitchy women who think you can be like that and get what you want.

It reflects the overconfidence and cockiness of women these days.

by Anonymousreply 476June 15, 2018 11:20 PM

[quote]I think that even Carrie would admit that NYC has become more than just Manhattan. Back during the show, Brooklyn WAS another country, but very soon after, it became very gentrified and hip and not the five day journey with a sherpa it somehow was in the 90s/00's.

Says the shit-for-brains flyover from Omaha! Brooklyn and even Queens were never considered "another country"! WTF are you talking about? Especially as SATC was a series mostly about transplants and their version of NYC! How many of the SATC characters were actually native New Yorkers? Not even Charlotte York, who came across like she was a New Yorker from old money, she was from Connecticut.

Please, certain parts of Bklyn have always been gorgeous, very desirable and expensive, Brooklyn Heights for one and that was waaaaaay before the borough became overrun with all those annoying flyover trust fund hipster morons and Euro trash with more money than brains..

Don't talk about situations you know so little about.

Native New Yorkers do not give a flying fuck what out-of-towners and Euro trash think about our cities and state! These poseur interlopers have ruined NYC.

by Anonymousreply 477June 15, 2018 11:50 PM

Aside from the Paris episodes, Sarah Jessica Parker really did some good acting throughout the series. I like when she smoke pot, "Let's get high!" And when she talks about being lonely at her book party. Not too many actresses can do slapstick comedy and vulnerable a minute later.

by Anonymousreply 478June 16, 2018 12:10 AM

R477 has stated her boundaries !

by Anonymousreply 479June 16, 2018 12:13 AM

R477 People don't move to New York to meet "native New Yorkers." Similar to LA, the most interesting and creative people come from somewhere else.

by Anonymousreply 480June 16, 2018 12:26 AM

You wouldn't believe how many entitled Alabama trust fund kids are in NYC and Brooklyn. They think they are all that and more. I know this one family who live in the same wealthy lake enclave as Nick Sabban. They inherited a ton from the mother who kept marrying up. Well this guy spends all day with his Binoculars focused on Nick Sabbans compound. The prodigal son now jets back and forth from NYC and Alabama trying to kick his opiate oxy heroin addiction telling everyone how smart and rich he is. Its gross. I could see Carrie marrying super rich Coal heir from Alabama. 5 homes plus the family plantation in southern Georgia. 2 jets and a staff of 30 and 20 horses in the stable.She would be in Black leather riding boots after exercising her favorite horse jumping on the jet for a fitting in New York for a dress in the riding boots before dinner at Balthazar. Then off to New Orleans for dinner at Galtoires 33rd club with a new fascinator and all that pretense.

by Anonymousreply 481June 16, 2018 12:32 AM

Fuck New York. With people like Andy, Kelly and the NPH duo- I'll stay in CA.

by Anonymousreply 482June 16, 2018 12:55 AM

Unfortunately the New York of the 80/90's is long gone. My buddy in real estate in Lots Angeles says the Russians Saudis and Chinese are buying everything they can get their hands on in Los Angeles.

by Anonymousreply 483June 16, 2018 12:59 AM

Honey, Lexi Featherston proclaimed NYC over 14 years ago. And when Lexi made a proclamation, you could take that shit to the bank.

by Anonymousreply 484June 16, 2018 2:33 AM

Or the nearest window!

by Anonymousreply 485June 16, 2018 2:59 AM

Lexi nailed it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 486June 16, 2018 3:00 AM

Somewhere in the Manhattan of 2018, Carrie is nagging Big about watching TV in bed.

by Anonymousreply 487June 16, 2018 3:11 AM

While I'm stopping in at various 'DL Cocktail Parties' this evening, I have SITC2 running in the background, providing the side conversations -

Please continue . . .

by Anonymousreply 488June 16, 2018 3:18 AM

Dayum, SJP is the epitome of the term "Butter Face."

by Anonymousreply 489June 16, 2018 3:25 AM

Nobody has yet mentioned the Sex and the City prequel, The Carrie Diaries.

Or how a cute, teenage Carrie turned into the horror show that was SJP's face.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 490June 16, 2018 3:40 AM

R490, EVERYONE wants to forget the Carrie Diaries. They make SATC2 look good,

by Anonymousreply 491June 16, 2018 3:44 AM

[quote][R477] People don't move to New York to meet "native New Yorkers." Similar to LA, the most interesting and creative people come from somewhere else.

Your response had nothing to do with my point, but you just continue to babble. I'm a native New Yorker, a Creative Director. I attended two prestigious art schools in Manhattan as well as Central Saint Martins in London. A lot of native New Yorkers are incredibly creative, we sure don't need interlopers telling us about our city.

I've never bought that most of the creative let alone interesting people come from somewhere else, that's sure not true from my experience as a CA. You must surely be from somewhere else, otherwise you wouldn't be beating a dead horse.

by Anonymousreply 492June 16, 2018 4:50 AM

R492 and this conceited lack of self-awareness my friends is why lifelong New York residents are INSUFFERABLE.

by Anonymousreply 493June 16, 2018 5:06 AM

r491, aw. I liked The Carrie Diaries (Austin Butler and later on Chris Wood were hot, also Carrie's, coming to terms with his homosexuality, BFF). It had more of a feel-good vibe to it. Just like Young Sheldon is more feel-good entertainment than the more snarky and sometimes mean The Big Bang Theory.

by Anonymousreply 494June 16, 2018 9:11 AM

It is Sex And The City (SATC) R488, not Sex In The City (SITC).

by Anonymousreply 495June 16, 2018 1:01 PM

Nor is it DL's former favorite blog Six In The City.

by Anonymousreply 496June 16, 2018 1:04 PM

The city was the best thing about the show.

by Anonymousreply 497June 16, 2018 2:13 PM

This thread inspired me to pull out my DVDs again, as I hadn't watched it in a while.

It realy is dated. Wow. The cell phones. Using pay phones. Etc.

A fun drinking game would be to take a drink every time Carrie says "And then I realized...," "I couldn't help but wonder," or refers to sex as "making love."

by Anonymousreply 498June 16, 2018 2:39 PM

R490 Yeah AnnaSophia was definitely cuter than SJP.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 499June 16, 2018 3:39 PM

The show was fine. Some of you take it SO seriously.

by Anonymousreply 500June 16, 2018 5:10 PM

Did people have those ridiculously looking fake extensions in the 80s like AnnaSophia Robb has?

That show was basically the Muppet Babies version of Sex & The City. Good for a look in a car wreck kind of way, but it's not a series.

by Anonymousreply 501June 16, 2018 5:19 PM

R500 Fascinating response. Thanks for chiming in.

by Anonymousreply 502June 16, 2018 5:19 PM

[quote]Yeah AnnaSophia was definitely cuter than SJP.

So the lesson is that you can be a pretty teenage girl in suburbia, but come to New York City and it will make you hard and ugly looking and force you to chase after mediocre men you can't have.

by Anonymousreply 503June 16, 2018 7:05 PM

A lifetime of smoking and partying didn't help either.

by Anonymousreply 504June 16, 2018 7:10 PM

Never watched Carrie Diaries. Couldn't get past the continuity switcheroo they pulled for absolutely no reason.

They established in SATC that Carrie's dad left her and her mom; Carrie Diaries has her being raised by a single dad.

It makes no fucking sense. Why create a show that capitalizes off a character people know, then fuck with her timeline?

Did they make any attempt to explain it?

by Anonymousreply 505June 16, 2018 7:56 PM

[quote]The city was the best thing about the show.

That seems completely lost on most people. Put those women in some bumfuck Middle America town and they sure wouldn't have the fabulous lives they had in NYC.

by Anonymousreply 506June 16, 2018 8:28 PM

r505, SATC changed that from the original source material. The Carrie Diaries was true, or more true, to the source material.

by Anonymousreply 507June 16, 2018 8:47 PM

Watching the reruns, it's so weird to see all the indoor smoking.

by Anonymousreply 508June 16, 2018 8:56 PM

That is nonsense, R507. The "source material" was a silly collection of stories from Candace Bushnell, and as far as I know, said absolutely nothing about Bushnell's teenage years.

Like it or not, the series is canon, and to create a show based on a character people already know, then change up what was established, was a stupid move. The only people interested in watching Carrie Diaries would have been SATC fans, so it was a poor decision to change her storyline like that. Most fans of the TV show probably never read Busnell's silly book, and--even if they had--would view the "Carrie Bradshaw" character as part of the show--not the book.

by Anonymousreply 509June 16, 2018 9:02 PM

[quote] Like it or not, the series is canon,

I hope the producers, cast and crew of The Carrie Diaries have enough time to go into hidinng before you go Misery on them.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 510June 16, 2018 9:08 PM

I think a 3rd film focusing on how print media is nearly dead could be an interesting storyline for Carrie. Maybe she'd have to take a job at a hip online magazine and have a hard time fitting in with all the young kids. Maybe she even has to take a huge pay cut and be treated like an intern. That'd be kinda fun to see Carrie struggle with something real.

But no, if we DO get a 3rd movie, it'll just be the woman (probably minus Samantha) still acting like the same 30-somethings they were 20 years ago, which, to me is really fucking sad.

I'd like to see a movie where the characters have aged and are going through real problems women in their 50's and 60's are going through. Maybe a bit like The Golden Girls. It doesn't mean they have to be sexless frumps with bad grey perms, but I don't want to see them going out to clubs like 25 year olds. Maybe show how much NYC has changed since the start of the series and how entitled the hipsters are and stuff like that.

by Anonymousreply 511June 16, 2018 10:06 PM

All good ideas. So much could be covered. The taint of social media, the risk to career of one wrong statement, Samantha targeted as a MeToo case by that male secretary she fucked, and the general divide these days. Trump was even on the show once.

by Anonymousreply 512June 16, 2018 10:43 PM

The only ones who seemed like real life women were Carrie and Miranda. Samantha was obviously an oversexed gay man and I've known nicey-nice girls like Charlotte and they are always two-faced underneath the surface. Charlotte was always portrayed as sweet and naïve.

by Anonymousreply 513June 17, 2018 12:53 AM

[quote]Maybe she'd have to take a job at a hip online magazine and have a hard time fitting in with all the young kids.

That was already explored on Glee. When Kurt moved to NYC, and was too effeminate to get into acting school, he was hired by a fashion magazine and his boss was Sarah Jessica Parker who absolutely loved him and every idea he came up with.

by Anonymousreply 514June 17, 2018 1:06 AM

To add on to r511-

Carrie betrayed - Big and Miranda or Charlotte, or ALL three! sleep together.

by Anonymousreply 515June 17, 2018 1:20 AM

In the real world, Big would have married someone like Charlotte (if not Charlotte herself) and Carrie would now be a bitter, single, chain-smoking, drunk, teaching writing classes as an adjunct at a community college. Someone like Aidan would never have fallen for her to begin with, and the Russian guy was just all around terrible anyway. Berger would still probably have happened, with likely identical results. That part was accurate.

by Anonymousreply 516June 17, 2018 1:35 AM

I would like to see a third movie. i guess reality for the women would be way too depressing but it would still be interesting to see where they ended up. everything always ends up being about money. if they really wanted another movie. and it MUST have samatha, they will need to offer her like $10,000,000 and show that she is making more than SJP. then i am sure she would do it

by Anonymousreply 517June 17, 2018 1:42 AM

[quote]teaching writing classes as an adjunct at a community college.

Probably more like The Learning Annex, which was an actual episode on S&TC. Remember the episode where she taught women how to date? I doubt Carrie would have the discipline to actually show up for scheduled classes each week. Once or twice, yes. A whole semester would interfere with her social life.

by Anonymousreply 518June 17, 2018 1:45 AM

Loved when Samantha tried to have sex with the gay guys

by Anonymousreply 519June 17, 2018 2:45 AM

R518 I'm not sure Carrie would have such an amazing social live these days.

by Anonymousreply 520June 17, 2018 2:49 AM

[quote]I'm not sure Carrie would have such an amazing social live these days.

It wouldn't be "amazing" but she would still be out late sitting on a barstool trying to pick up some guy. She would probably be very frustrated at Bloomberg's law of not smoking in bars.

Or maybe she would get arrested for being drunk and brawling with a police officer and forced into doing community service. While working in a soup kitchen, she has an epiphany that her life is shit. So she starts going to AA and becomes a born again AA member going to meetings every day and using that as her social life.

by Anonymousreply 521June 17, 2018 3:43 AM

If they make the third movie, it should be called Death and the City and reveal that Carrie Bradshaw and her friends are fictional creations by an unhappy woman named Caroline Bradshaw in a really bleak town in flyover America (played by Sarah Jessica Parker) who bases the characters on various odd people in her life (played by Cynthia, Kim and Kristin) and at the end of the film Caroline commits suicide, only for her distraught husband (played by the Aidan Actor) to find her finished manuscript Sex and the City which contained her fantasy alter ego and get it published, taking the nation by storm, seeing it become a series on HBO and making her a posthumous celebrity. Does it get more meta than that?

by Anonymousreply 522June 17, 2018 3:52 AM

[quote] A whole semester would interfere with her social life.

As well as her weekly shopping for her over-priced Christian Louboutin shoes, don't forget the 4-5 inch heels she could barely walk in.

by Anonymousreply 523June 17, 2018 4:12 AM

WAKE UP. DID YOU PEOPLE NOT WATCH AND UNDERSTAND ANYTHING...........carrie was NEVER happy, no matter what man she had or clothes or great apartment. ... the scene where Mr. big just wants to stay at home in their perfect new york apartment............trust me she would be major pissed off that life was not . what she wanted. she would be divorced. alone and a bitter bitch working as a realtor

by Anonymousreply 524June 17, 2018 4:19 AM

[quote]she would be divorced. alone and a bitter bitch working as a realtor

No, someone would give her a job in Human Resources.

by Anonymousreply 525June 17, 2018 4:45 AM

Does anyone remember Warhol entourager/character-actor-oddity Sylvia Miles, still alive at 93.

She actually guested on SATC.

Behold, Carrie Bradshaw: this is your future in NYC.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 526June 17, 2018 4:59 AM

As Sex and the City 2 showed, even with her perfect life, Carrie always needs more of “the Sparkle.”

by Anonymousreply 527June 17, 2018 6:15 PM

R527 I’m available, but call me Duchess

by Anonymousreply 528June 17, 2018 6:43 PM

[quote]Does anyone remember Warhol entourager/character-actor-odd - ity Sylvia Miles, still alive at 93.

Sylvia is a NYC icon. She was in Midnight Cowboy, as the rich broad who fucked Jon Voight's hustler character. Carrie Bradshaw wishes she was Sylvia Miles!

Sylvia doesn't give fuck what anyone thinks, Carrie was always worrying what everyone thought about her.

by Anonymousreply 529June 17, 2018 9:00 PM

In the summer of 2000 I met someone at a bar called The Works on the UWS. The bar is long gone. 10 days after I met him I went over to his place . He refused to have sex with me until we watched the lasted episode of Sex And The City. I guess he didn't have a VCR.

by Anonymousreply 530June 20, 2018 2:32 PM

[Quote] He refused to have sex with me until we watched the lasted episode of Sex And The City.

It could have been worse.

by Anonymousreply 531June 20, 2018 4:08 PM

I would have thought I was more important than a tv show.

by Anonymousreply 532June 20, 2018 4:15 PM

He could've had a creepy doll collection on his bed.

by Anonymousreply 533June 20, 2018 4:20 PM

[QUOTE] the lasted episode

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 534June 21, 2018 6:00 AM

I agree about most of the plots sounding like they came from gay men instead of women. Most of Samantha's storylines. The Miranda rimjob episode. Miranda and the guy who likes to have sex in public. The rehashed storyline where then Trey wants to have sex with Charlotte in public. Charlotte with the foot fetishist.

My closest friends have always been the cool slutty girls/women, but even they are not as adventurous as what regularly happened to the women on this show. Even at their sluttiest they don't cruise and have sex at the drop of the hat like a lot of gay men do. Get drunk at a bar and take someone home, sure. But pick someone up in broad daylight in a cab? No. Sorry. And they would never fuck in public the way many of the SATC gals did.

It is clearly gay fantasy. But I just see it as the fun fluff it is and don't expect documentary-style realism from a sitcom like some of you bitches.

by Anonymousreply 535June 21, 2018 6:10 AM

Another Red Scarf Suicide. I hope there will be peace on the other side.

by Anonymousreply 536June 21, 2018 5:47 PM

i just will never understand it. i am not in their life so i will not judge . especially when a child is involved its very hard

by Anonymousreply 537June 21, 2018 5:53 PM

I like r522’s idea, though I’d keep Chris Noth as “Caroline”’s husband but make him the blue collar worker he looks like.

by Anonymousreply 538June 21, 2018 9:29 PM

"I would have thought I was more important than a tv show."

But ya AREN'T, R532! Ya AREN'T more important than a TV show!

by Anonymousreply 539June 21, 2018 11:06 PM

I wonder if any of the Cast of the show will go to her funeral.

by Anonymousreply 540June 22, 2018 12:13 AM

I was the poster who said many replies ago that Chris Noth looked like he works in a Pontiac Factory. No one would buy that he comes from Old Park Avenue money, now Trey Macdougal played by Kyle MacLachan he played a convincing Old Park Avenue money. This is off topic but neither of these guys had any sex appeal for me.

by Anonymousreply 541June 22, 2018 1:08 AM

That ass is amazing!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 542June 22, 2018 5:35 AM

I always thought it was very womanly, myself.

by Anonymousreply 543June 22, 2018 4:44 PM

Is that Noth’s ass at R542?

by Anonymousreply 544June 22, 2018 7:41 PM

No, some actor who played the ass eater who wants the favor reciprocated. In Season 2 or 3, I think. Noth never shows ass, barely even shows chest.

by Anonymousreply 545June 22, 2018 7:43 PM

Thanks, R545. Does anyone know the actor’s name?

by Anonymousreply 546June 22, 2018 7:48 PM

Michael Knowles aka Marathon Man.

The episode is from Season 4, Episode 6 - Baby, Talk is Cheap

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 547June 22, 2018 8:00 PM

Thanks, R547.

by Anonymousreply 548June 22, 2018 8:03 PM

Wow, Marathon Man aged nearly as badly as Marathon Man

by Anonymousreply 549June 22, 2018 8:07 PM

R549, is it safe?

by Anonymousreply 550June 22, 2018 8:09 PM

[quote]Get drunk at a bar and take someone home, sure.

After the "Looking for Mr. Goodbar" novel came out, lots of "cool slutty girls/women" weren't so Gung-Ho about random bar pickups as they used to be. The AIDS epidemic also curtailed a lot of people, in general, from getting involved with random hookups.

Besides, random sex usually isn't as great as Samantha made it appear, so there's that. I can't believe any intelligent woman watching this series actually thought NYC single life was as much fun and glamour as this series depicted.. Sure, if you moved in the circles the SATC women did, but most transplants to NYC do not work in glamorous fields. SATC was pure entertainment, nothing more.

by Anonymousreply 551June 23, 2018 4:48 PM

I second the posters who complained about the continuity changes on The Carrie Diaries. Most times alterations like that can work, but in this case, it fundamentally changed the character.

It’s HIGHLY unrealistic that someone with a nurturing, present father figure would end up with (and keep chasing after) Big. That’s some maladaptive bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 552June 23, 2018 5:58 PM

[quote]It’s HIGHLY unrealistic that someone with a nurturing, present father figure would end up with (and keep chasing after) Big. That’s some maladaptive bullshit.

Was Big supposed to be a lot older than Carrie? I know Bushnell's real life Big was Ron Galoti, he sure didn't come from a moneyed NYC background! Ron is quite unattractive. He's living proof of how being rich changes everything. Women would not have looked twice at this jerk if he wasn't wealthy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 553June 23, 2018 6:26 PM

Galoti looked more like Charlotte's second husband, played by Evan Handler, than like Chris Noth!

by Anonymousreply 554June 23, 2018 6:27 PM

He's supposed to be about 10 years older. Chris Noth always reminded me of a vampire or something. I've never found him attractive.

by Anonymousreply 555June 23, 2018 6:29 PM

I always thought Big was supposed to be Trump-esque.

by Anonymousreply 556June 23, 2018 6:30 PM

[quote]Was Big supposed to be a lot older than Carrie?

There was a running joke in the scripts about Carrie making fun of his age...Bitch please, he looked younger than you did by Season 6.

by Anonymousreply 557June 23, 2018 6:30 PM

Chris Noth is 11 years older than SJP.

by Anonymousreply 558June 23, 2018 7:00 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 559June 23, 2018 7:23 PM

The first movie was repetitive. Big and Carrie break up... again? To get together.... again?

They should have made a screwball comedy about a wedding that gets out of control... on a big scale. Sort of a Philadelphia Story type thing. But MPK was not a very good writer.

The whole problem with Carrie Bradshaw is she never learned a damn thing about herself.

by Anonymousreply 560June 23, 2018 7:41 PM

[quote]The first movie was repetitive. Big and Carrie break up... again? To get together.... again? The whole problem with Carrie Bradshaw is she never learned a damn thing about herself.

Carrie was a character in arrested development. Wash, Rinse, Repeat over and over again....buy super expensive shoes, complain about Big, go to lunch with her friends, complain about Big.....blah, blah, blah.

Carrie was actually the least interesting SATC character. For a so-called 'writer' Carrie didn't come across as very bright. She sure wasn't self-aware and had little common sense.

by Anonymousreply 561June 23, 2018 7:57 PM

R561, maybe she could have been a Tomi Lahren for Breitbart?

by Anonymousreply 562June 23, 2018 8:05 PM

she got worse as she got older... needier, more clueless, more selfish... it would have been fascinating to deconstruct her and have her learn something. But it was never really meant to be that show. It was interesting and amusing in the beginning when they were all on the hunt and failing constantly due to the randomness of young dating. But once they ventured into them trying and failing at actual relationships.... then it jumped the shark. Charlotte grew (though unbelievably in my eyes and was there anything more grating the cross eyed Harry wearing his heart on his sleeve?) and Miranda really grew (probably the most realistically) and Samantha was nuts but she had a kind of integrity and dignity about it. I have no idea what became of Samantha.

The shallower the show got with all the clothes, the worse Carrie looked in every respect.

by Anonymousreply 563June 23, 2018 8:17 PM

It was mildly amusing/fun in the beginning and then it became very dull.

It's been 20 years, can we kill them now?

by Anonymousreply 564June 23, 2018 8:25 PM

I've said this before.Chris Noth looked like a husky blue collar factory worker.

by Anonymousreply 565June 24, 2018 1:21 PM

Is Evan Handler as prissy in real life as he came across on the show? I'm thinking particularly about his reactions when Charlotte was weeping about the baby and she was grabbing his tie, and when the second kid was born where he said "We have a Lily and a Rose."

Either that or he's generally a really shitty actor.

by Anonymousreply 566June 24, 2018 1:29 PM

There are working-class boys "made good" on Wall St.

by Anonymousreply 567June 24, 2018 2:05 PM

“Lawrence of my labia” was lifted from Friends, R419. It was one of the movies in the episode where Ursula is doing porn and Phoebe gets mistaken for her.

by Anonymousreply 568June 29, 2018 6:21 PM

And I bet some "Friends" writer lifted it from an actual porn shop. They used to have hilarious titles.

by Anonymousreply 569June 29, 2018 6:23 PM

"Lawrence of my labia" sounds like Dorothy Parker when you compare it to some of the cringe-worthy lines from the series.

"If you're tired to take a nap-a, you don't move to Napa!"

Barf.

by Anonymousreply 570June 30, 2018 3:18 PM

R570

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 571June 30, 2018 6:30 PM

Dumbest line of the whole series: Miranda dropped a grocery bag on the floor and a jar of spaghetti sauce broke which caused her to finally break down and express her inadequacies to Steve. While listing her faults, she tearfully declared "My sponges smell!" Hey rich lady, throw them out and replace them with new ones!

So dumb.

by Anonymousreply 572July 2, 2018 7:01 AM

R572 Aww i liked that scene.

by Anonymousreply 573July 2, 2018 4:31 PM

Yes, that's being very nitpicky.

by Anonymousreply 574July 2, 2018 4:33 PM

SJP's smarmy personality ruined the show for me. With the right actress in the role Carrie could have been compelling. Maybe Ellen Pompeo could have done it.

by Anonymousreply 575July 2, 2018 5:01 PM

R575, great suggestion. Carrie went from compelling to whiny and shrill. Maybe they should have killed her off.

by Anonymousreply 576July 2, 2018 5:15 PM

No adult's great confession about herself should include anything that is so easily remedied, such as sponges that smell.

by Anonymousreply 577July 2, 2018 9:01 PM

R572, I liked that scene. As silly as the show could be, Miranda showing vulnerability were some of the few bright spots.

Regardless, that line is nowhere nearly as cringe-worthy as "If you're tired you take a nap-a, you don't move to Napa."

by Anonymousreply 578July 2, 2018 10:19 PM

Yeah and don't take it so literally -- she is saying he will find out the bad things about her and leave her. Not her sponges but her faults. That we can all relate at some point, right?

The show (at its best) was very well written. It just went awry from time to time.

by Anonymousreply 579July 2, 2018 11:53 PM

Miranda had all of the food-related scenes. she was fixated on cake. would eat with her mouth full, commenting on the lamb chops and tuna at parties, always ordering the same Chinese food, went to Weight Watchers.

Did Carrie ever eat anything but salt water taffy?

by Anonymousreply 580July 3, 2018 2:31 AM

Carrie had all the "you've got sauce on your face, here let me get it" scenes. It seems like many times Big or Aidan or Berger were wiping something off of Carrie's mouth... romantically, of course.

by Anonymousreply 581July 3, 2018 3:31 AM

The Carrie-Big romance dragged on far too long and you knew they'd eventually get together after at least one more contrived plot twist.

by Anonymousreply 582July 3, 2018 4:13 AM

R581 those scenes always grossed me out.

by Anonymousreply 583July 3, 2018 6:44 PM

It would have been thoughtful if, instead of wiping a condiment from her chin, they popped out a dermatologist's tool to burn off that fucking wart on her face.

by Anonymousreply 584July 6, 2018 9:50 PM

R65, I went on a date with Mr. Big when the show was still on. Geez, I’m getting old.

Anyhow, Mr. Noth was a huge perv who loved the Beatles as much as I do. We went to a kareoke bar, and he sang “Lucy in The Sky”

So there’s my SATC story. I never liked Carrie, and neither did Mr. Big, trust me.

by Anonymousreply 585July 6, 2018 10:44 PM

OMG, R585. Pull up a chair and do elaborate.

First off, are we wrong to assume you're female?

by Anonymousreply 586July 7, 2018 12:28 AM

R586, yes, I’m a woman.

I was fucking gorgeous, and at that time, so was he.

There’s not much more to say, really.

by Anonymousreply 587July 7, 2018 7:57 AM

[Quote] Anyhow, Mr. Noth was a huge perv

Can't say i'm surprised.

by Anonymousreply 588July 7, 2018 5:37 PM

R587, did he dislike SJP? Why?

by Anonymousreply 589July 7, 2018 5:40 PM

R587 yes, did he told you anything about SJP? Did the people really disliked Kim Catarall? Or any gossip of the series?

by Anonymousreply 590July 7, 2018 7:07 PM

R590, you realy need to work on your past tense "did" statements.

by Anonymousreply 591July 7, 2018 7:22 PM

R591 sorry English is not my first language

by Anonymousreply 592July 7, 2018 7:28 PM

We barely spoke about the show. He was very glib in reference to the whole thing. He didn’t take himself, the role, or any of it seriously, to his credit, I might add. He was on hiatus, and much more excited about some theatrical work that he was pursuing.

He was fun and funny. High energy, and all hands. I really enjoyed him as a person that evening, but I wasn’t terribly sexually attracted to him. He was good looking, but I had an ex buzzing about that night, and he showed up to the bar, and it killed the spirit of it all. Kinda like Carrie, whenever Mr. Big showed up. I just made that connection,!oddly enough.

by Anonymousreply 593July 7, 2018 11:16 PM

Did he talk about Law and Order? I loved him on that show. Not so much on SATC. His character seemed like a fool the minute he fell for Carrie and more so when he put up with all her crap.

by Anonymousreply 594July 8, 2018 12:19 AM

Cynthia Nixon and Kristen Davis look very different in seasons 2-6 than they did during season 1. So much so that it can't just be lighting and makeup. I think Davis had a nose job and Nixon had a chin implant after the first season. Nixon's chin moves strangely in certain scenes in the later seasons.

by Anonymousreply 595July 24, 2018 6:27 AM

Nonsense R595.

by Anonymousreply 596July 24, 2018 1:21 PM

Davis looked bovine the first couple of seasons.

by Anonymousreply 597July 24, 2018 2:32 PM

[quote]Carrie went from compelling to whiny and shrill.

I think you can directly trace that back to when SJP got more control and MPK took over from Darren Star. SJP/Carrie got increasingly more unrealistic, twee, selfish and annoying. But you could tell it wasn't the writers/SJP's intentions to make Carrie some kind of anti-hero. They really thought everybody should find Carrie and her antics adorable.

by Anonymousreply 598July 24, 2018 2:59 PM

R598, I wonder if most straight women find Carrie to be some kind of hero or idol. The fact that they all flock to this show in droves convinces me that's the case.

by Anonymousreply 599July 24, 2018 4:29 PM

Sylvia Miles plays a realtor in "Wall Street" who shows Charlie Sheen an apartment. That's who Carrie Bradshaw would have become.

by Anonymousreply 600July 24, 2018 5:44 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!