Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

James Bond: ‘The next 007 should be gay’ says Sir Ian McKellen

The MI6 agent has always been a notorious womaniser, but what if producers rebooted him as a gay man?

The change is something Sir Ian would like to see, having highlighted the lack of gay character representation in major Hollywood movies and franchises.

Speaking with Variety he said: “I do have an idea. I think Ian Fleming, who wrote the original [James Bond] books, knew all about [it]. I’m not sure subsequent actors have quite understood the joke, which is the same as Superman.

“James Bond is a wimp! He’s a silly Englishman that wants his martinis stirred.”

The 78-year-old X-Men star continued: “He changes his underwear, like Superman, and he can save the world. [All the actors] play it the same—he’s heroic all the way through. No, he’s not.

“If you play James Bond as an outwardly camp, silly gay man that no one took seriously and then he turned out as many gay men are underneath their clothes—buff and strong and as hetero as any hetero—we might have a more truthful story than the one that has been told.”

When asked if he would like to play the next Bond, Sir Ian replied: “I’m not volunteering. I’m insisting. No, I’m too old to play it. I can be on the periphery of this new version.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85August 16, 2018 2:12 AM

Nobody carezzz

by Anonymousreply 1June 4, 2018 9:32 PM

Former Bond star Pierce Brosnan supported the idea of a gay Bond a couple of years ago.

He said: “Sure. Why not? It would certainly make for interesting viewing.”

But added: “Actually, I don’t know how it would work. I don’t think Barbara [Broccoli, producer] would allow a gay Bond to happen in her lifetime.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2June 4, 2018 9:32 PM

Idris Elba

by Anonymousreply 3June 4, 2018 9:33 PM

They actually had Bond imply he slept with men before in Skyfall (Bond is chatting up a villain so its unclear how serious he was). It was a pretty surprising moment. That was probably the best bond movie

by Anonymousreply 4June 4, 2018 9:35 PM

If they want to attract the gay audience, he'll need a larger name: 008 or more

by Anonymousreply 5June 4, 2018 9:35 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6June 4, 2018 9:37 PM

And M will need to be Auntie Em!

by Anonymousreply 7June 4, 2018 9:37 PM

YUM! R6

by Anonymousreply 8June 4, 2018 9:38 PM

There will never be an M like Judi Dench. She remade the role in her image

by Anonymousreply 9June 4, 2018 9:38 PM

Sir Ian is right.

And then they'd finally consider DL Fave (and long-time Bond wanna-be) Ben Barnes for the part.

by Anonymousreply 10June 4, 2018 9:40 PM

Make Q the new Bond

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11June 4, 2018 9:42 PM

WTF is this obsession with making 007 and superheroes gay?

I mean, I'm gay, but these gestures don't mean much to me.

by Anonymousreply 12June 4, 2018 9:45 PM

The change is something Sir Ian would like to see, having highlighted the lack of gay character representation in major Hollywood movies and franchises.

by Anonymousreply 13June 4, 2018 9:46 PM

Absolutely not! Boycotting!

by Anonymousreply 14June 4, 2018 9:47 PM

According to Datalounge, fictional characters may never be changed .

by Anonymousreply 15June 4, 2018 9:47 PM

Shit... he doesn’t know anything.

by Anonymousreply 16June 4, 2018 9:47 PM

Bond was created by Ian Fleming, not Ian Flaming.

by Anonymousreply 17June 4, 2018 9:48 PM

I thought Roger Moore was the first gay James Bond. He didn't have sex with men as far as we knew, but he was such a sissy in manner compared to Sean Connery.

by Anonymousreply 18June 4, 2018 9:49 PM

Why not just make him bisexual? Why one or the other. That's restricting! Men won't go to the cinema to watch him woo men, and even then the story will have some woman try make a move and what will he do, outright reject her? Probably would go against his mission. Does not make for good viewing. Make him at least bisexual to have m-m action so it casts a wider audience net.

by Anonymousreply 19June 4, 2018 9:53 PM

Early on, James Bond was a heavy smoker, once smoking over 70 cigarettes a day. Pole is safer.

by Anonymousreply 20June 4, 2018 9:54 PM

"The next 007 should be gay"

That definitely would mean I'll never make a comeback.

by Anonymousreply 21June 4, 2018 10:00 PM

Gay men are hetero underneath their clothes? That sounds inconvenient.

by Anonymousreply 22June 4, 2018 10:04 PM

What site is R1 from?

by Anonymousreply 23June 4, 2018 10:05 PM

[quote]There will never be an M like Judi Dench. She remade the role in her image

Really? I don’t see much difference between her and the original. Stern and cranky. Might as well have been Bernard Lee in drag.

by Anonymousreply 24June 4, 2018 10:07 PM

The next 007 should be Idris Elba.

by Anonymousreply 25June 4, 2018 10:09 PM

I'd love to see a gay actor play James Bond. There is no reason to make the character gay, he is a famous womanizer, that is a defining aspect of the character.

by Anonymousreply 26June 4, 2018 10:09 PM

Idris has said repeatedly that he's sick of the whole thing. There are other black actors.

by Anonymousreply 27June 4, 2018 10:12 PM

Nah! The next spy should be gay. But not James Bond.

Seriously. There should different secret agents, with cool, badass stories.

You want a middle aged Black man ? Here you go Idris Elba.

You want a woman ? No problem. Choose a cool one. Plan great adventures for her. You want a gay spy ? Have two ! Make them a power couple, a double threat.

That really would be fun and change us from 007. But James Bond is a White, hetero man. He should not even be blond.

by Anonymousreply 28June 4, 2018 10:12 PM

I nominate O-T Fagbenle from "The Handmaid's Tale" and "Looking". I've been bingeing on "The Five" on Netflix and crushing on him at the same time.

by Anonymousreply 29June 4, 2018 10:20 PM

Idris as Bond and Kristen Stewart as villain for the next Bond film

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30June 4, 2018 10:29 PM

As an aside, I show you Sir Ian McKellen as Dame Maggie Smith.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31June 4, 2018 10:29 PM

YES, let's have a gay James Bond! Time to really shake things up.

by Anonymousreply 32June 4, 2018 10:36 PM

I don't want a gay Bond.

I want a villain who is a worthy adversary to Bond - who may in fact be 008 or other former spy - to be a gay man. Not a caricature of evilness and villainy camping around being gay. But a serious, smart, accomplished, and deadly foe.

Or I want a classic buddy flick where a fellow agent who is just as accomplished and deadly as Bond is gay - with no sad, gay-best-friend vibe, or pining for the unattainable with a sad little bone (no pun intended) thrown in at the end.

by Anonymousreply 33June 4, 2018 10:36 PM

We’ve already had former 00s as villains. Goldeneye (Alec Trevelyan) and Skyfall (Raoul Silva).

by Anonymousreply 34June 4, 2018 10:53 PM

And Silva was at least bi.

by Anonymousreply 35June 4, 2018 10:54 PM

"I don't want a gay Bond."

What if I changed my name to James Bondage?

by Anonymousreply 36June 4, 2018 11:00 PM

R35 Sean Bean dragged up for a BBC drama that gained him an award.

by Anonymousreply 37June 4, 2018 11:01 PM

The current one should be gay.

by Anonymousreply 38June 4, 2018 11:02 PM

The Spy Who Rimmed Me

From Mykonos With Love

Thunderballs

by Anonymousreply 39June 4, 2018 11:08 PM

[quote]I nominate O-T Fagbenle from "The Handmaid's Tale" and "Looking". I've been bingeing on "The Five" on Netflix and crushing on him at the same time.

He played an agent in The Interceptor. I wasn't that impressed. He's been ok in other roles I've seen him in, though.

by Anonymousreply 40June 4, 2018 11:09 PM

[quote]Why not just make him bisexual? Why one or the other. That's restricting! Men won't go to the cinema to watch him woo men, and even then the story will have some woman try make a move and what will he do, outright reject her? Probably would go against his mission. Does not make for good viewing. Make him at least bisexual to have m-m action so it casts a wider audience net.

That makes so much sense to me, it's amazing it hasn't happened already, R19. It's that very quality that gives Edward Fox's Jackal in [italic]The Day of the Jackal[/italic] so much hotness, caginess, slipperiness, and pure fucking MENACE.

Obviously he didn't need the money, since he came from wealth (and even a title, I think?), but Fox was so damned smooth and sexy in this role it amazes me he didn't become an international A-list actor.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41June 5, 2018 12:05 AM

If any character should ever be bisexual, it's Bond! He should be able to seduce anyone, male, female, intersex, transsex, and satisfy them if he needs to!

As long as he's the top, of course.

by Anonymousreply 42June 5, 2018 4:07 AM

I see him bottoming to get ahead.

by Anonymousreply 43June 5, 2018 4:15 AM

Bring him on!!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44June 5, 2018 4:52 AM

R41 One can dream!

by Anonymousreply 45June 5, 2018 5:24 AM

Well of course it wouldn't have been Bond's first time in "Skyfall", he went to a good English boys' school after all.

by Anonymousreply 46June 5, 2018 5:27 AM

What double entendre names would the Bond boys have?

by Anonymousreply 47June 5, 2018 10:03 AM

Know your gay history, little gaylings. Listen and learn.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48June 5, 2018 10:28 AM

I enjoyed having a campy gay villain. All the bond villains are campy

by Anonymousreply 49June 5, 2018 3:19 PM

No, he should be trans.

by Anonymousreply 50June 5, 2018 3:35 PM

This is why they hate us.

by Anonymousreply 51June 5, 2018 3:35 PM

A trans villain could be fun. Could also be poorly done.

by Anonymousreply 52June 5, 2018 3:36 PM

We had a gay Bond-ish action movie in "Kiss Me Deadly. (2008)" with Robert Gant. I enjoyed it, even if it wasn't the best movie. I'd love to see a really good gay noir or spy movie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53June 5, 2018 4:00 PM

R30 KStew?? She'd be stuttering all over the place.

by Anonymousreply 54June 5, 2018 5:19 PM

Have we had a female as the primary villain and not some kind of lieutenant

by Anonymousreply 55June 5, 2018 5:20 PM

They could do a remake R53, Kiss Me, Dudley.

by Anonymousreply 56June 5, 2018 6:44 PM

Octopussy, R55?

And I seem to remember that in one of the Brosnan films, the Bond Girl was revealed to be the mastermind behind the primary male villain.

by Anonymousreply 57June 5, 2018 6:51 PM

Which hot young piece will play Mussy Galore?

by Anonymousreply 58June 6, 2018 6:49 AM

Make him bi or pansexual. But why gay? He's clearly already been into woman. I'm also not really into changing characters sexualities, gender, or race when we could just create new characters. Couldn't there be a gay character in the bond franchise that gets a spin off?

by Anonymousreply 59June 6, 2018 7:10 AM

R54 and looking extremely haggard.

by Anonymousreply 60June 6, 2018 8:29 AM

I'd like to see a transgender Jasmina Bond

by Anonymousreply 61June 6, 2018 8:40 AM

Blonde, Jasmina Blonde, at your service.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62June 6, 2018 9:54 AM

R62 Thats a great look!

by Anonymousreply 63June 6, 2018 12:37 PM

bond films are so over...and the women in them aren't even hot anymore.

by Anonymousreply 64June 6, 2018 12:45 PM

Imagine pic in R62 wooing both men and women... yeah, I can't imagine it either.

by Anonymousreply 65June 6, 2018 6:26 PM

transgender Jayne Bond Laverne Cox

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66June 6, 2018 7:33 PM

R60 = troll

by Anonymousreply 67June 6, 2018 7:33 PM

R60 not a troll, that is a genuine opinion that isn't out to purposely annoy another. She has major bags under her eyes for her age. Watch her in Equals (image below), I did not enjoy her at all as the female lead as she just looked tired all the time to me.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68June 6, 2018 9:40 PM

^ was to R67.

by Anonymousreply 69June 6, 2018 9:40 PM

Mr McKellen is a whimsical and indulged old man.

He'd be a nobody if he weren't homosexual.

by Anonymousreply 70June 6, 2018 9:44 PM

Octopussy was a criminal, but not a villain. Her smuggling ring was being used without her knowledge by Kamal Khan and the Russian General to plant a nuclear bomb in West Germany. Octopussy joins forces with Bond to defeat them.

by Anonymousreply 71June 6, 2018 9:48 PM

Oh hell no.

One thing Bond does incredibly badly is handle women and sex. He is 'sexy' but also a complete misogynistic trope. The LAST thing anyone needs is for him to be a self-loathing homophobic trope.

by Anonymousreply 72June 6, 2018 9:53 PM

R57, you are thinking of the subtly-named Elecktra King in The World Is Not Enough.

by Anonymousreply 73June 6, 2018 9:54 PM

I believe Toby Stephen's character in Die Another Day was gay and in a relationship with his second in command. His father didn't approve and "Gustav" faked his death and took on a new face to get a step closer to live out and proud as a gay man, but his anger management issues and hunger for revenge made him beard up with Miranda Frost, his fag hag.

by Anonymousreply 74June 6, 2018 11:22 PM

I agree with Sir Ian

by Anonymousreply 75June 10, 2018 11:24 AM

McKellen came out when he was 49 and when it was clear his career would in no way be effected. Neither brave nor radical. Not that it would have been that risky earlier as he was mainly well known for theatre. Hardly a profession riven with homophobia. Yet, somehow, his every utterance about being gay is seen as wisdom from on high.

He’s a self satisfied bore.

by Anonymousreply 76June 10, 2018 12:03 PM

The Bond franchise has always been based on the fundamental tropes of wish fulfilment for straight men - gadgets, women and spy adventure. The notion that they will mess with that formula is silly.

The ever-present problem is the fact that it's a bit self-limiting and there's only so much you can do with the Bond character. Maybe a couple of spin-off series under the Bond franchise would help to freshen up the brand, such as a female or gay fellow MI6 agent. You could make their stories and assignments very different than Bond's.

by Anonymousreply 77June 10, 2018 12:09 PM

He's right

by Anonymousreply 78July 28, 2018 2:23 AM

r76 He was in a relationship with a man for a long time before that, and I guess he had relationships with men before that as well. And I guess gay sex was still illegal in Britain for a lot of that time, and I don't think he pretended to be straight much or maybe not even at all and he bearded not or hardly ever, ridiculous to put hardly closeted celebs in the same box as others.

by Anonymousreply 79July 28, 2018 3:26 AM

James Brown's mother is Swiss. Not sure how this fits in, it hasn't to date but it could be an angle.

by Anonymousreply 80July 28, 2018 4:53 AM

James Bond 007 should be rebooted as gay

by Anonymousreply 81August 15, 2018 5:57 PM

I support the idea of 007 as bi - openly bi please.

by Anonymousreply 82August 15, 2018 6:01 PM

openly gay

by Anonymousreply 83August 15, 2018 6:06 PM

i loathe "sir" ian mc. he subbed for the erased kevin spacey in all the money in the world BUT he had accusations about his sexual behavior years ago as well. fuck him.

by Anonymousreply 84August 15, 2018 6:34 PM

R84 he had accusations about his sexual behavior years ago as well

What accusations? I never heard any about Sir Ian

by Anonymousreply 85August 16, 2018 2:12 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!