Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Elon Musk / Tesla Deathwatch

Elon Musk built Tesla Motors by turning Tesla into a great story. This story — one that’s partly about the allure of “disrupting” the auto industry, partly about building a modern-day muscle car, and partly about an eco-friendly mission to save the world — has convinced investors to propel his vision with billions of dollars in cash.

To some extent, every entrepreneur is a storyteller, their venture a vehicle to an imagined future, but Musk is in a class of his own. Whether he’s talking about building electric cars, tunneling under the streets of Los Angeles, or colonizing Mars, his stories matter more than others. They reshape markets.

In the end, however, entrepreneurship can’t be pure fiction. The fiction must serve as a prelude to the creation of a new company that adheres to a simple, fundamental rule: Revenues must be higher than costs, or costs must be financed. Facts matter.

If Tesla proves to be a bubble company, not only will many investors and potential customers be left stranded, but we will have witnessed a remarkable case study in the limits of entrepreneurial yarn spinning. Today Musk thinks the media is his enemy, but he could never have built Tesla Motors without it. We should always be wary of entrepreneurs selling utopia — even more so today, when an expanded, ever-present media fuels American capitalism. Musk is mad that the media has stopped presenting his stories as nonfiction

When it comes to Tesla, the facts are not on Musk’s side. Musk’s latest of many problems is Tesla Motors’ inability to ramp up production on the long-anticipated Model 3, which he had portrayed as a $35,000 electric car for the masses — an electric Model T of sorts. Indeed, based on the 400,000-plus deposits that consumers placed for Model 3s in 2016, two full years ago, demand for a more affordable, high-quality, long-range Tesla vehicle exists.

If Musk could counter the latest round of negative stories with facts, he wouldn’t be going after the messengers in the media

Here’s the dynamic that explains Musk’s Twitter outburst: Tesla is clearly struggling to reach production levels that will justify its valuation. Musk has no facts with which to counter the media reports, and it is illegal for him to lie about these numbers. (Hype is one thing; lying to investors is another.) His Orwellian solution is to convince Tesla fans that what they are reading is not true. The stakes are high. Tesla’s $1 billion-per-quarter burn rate makes it very likely that the company will need to raise a couple billion dollars in the fourth quarter of this year.

Musk literally cannot afford for investors to believe a negative storyline. Only his optimistic, visionary narrative will convince potential investors that Tesla is a good bet, rather than a bubble preparing to pop.

Musk is caught between a rock and a hard place. He is struggling to produce a mass-market car. If he cannot do it, it means Tesla should be valued closer to Porsche than to Ford, and the stock price should fall. But if the stock price falls, he won’t be able to raise money, Tesla will run out of cash, and the dream of a mass-market Tesla will be dead (or at least it will not be fulfilled by an independent company controlled by Musk). Tesla needs the profits produced by luxury models to forestall that outcome, but that’s not a long-term solution to his basic problem.

Given this set of facts, Musk’s only hope is “to pound the table and yell like hell” to try to convince investors to ignore reality — and focus on his storyline.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 89August 31, 2018 3:57 AM

They're so popular in LA. Everyone fucking has one. It's crazy. I saw three in a row, all the same model and color, on Santa Monica Blvd near Century City.

by Anonymousreply 1May 30, 2018 2:42 PM

That's the thing - I really want them to succeed too! They look great and assuming the autopilot mode can be made not to run into things, have some pretty neat technology behind them.

But at the same time, I really dislike egomanical assholes like Musk - however I don't think you can be a successful CEO in America without being a narcissistic sociopath.

by Anonymousreply 2May 30, 2018 2:45 PM

I don't care about Grimes anymore, because of him.

by Anonymousreply 3May 30, 2018 2:45 PM

Some automotive engineers in Detroit deconstructed a Model 3. They found the electronics quite advanced. The rest of the car was pretty primitive, from a manufacturing point of view, particularly the welds which were old and outdated.

by Anonymousreply 4May 30, 2018 2:53 PM

r4 I read somewhere that he's learning a lot of the things the big automakers already know. I think he tried to automate too much too soon and while I think the big automakers could learn something from him, he went too far in the "everything we know is wrong" direction. Still, once he learns the lessons, I assume the cars will be better because of it.

by Anonymousreply 5May 30, 2018 2:56 PM

As Visionaries For Our Times go, he’s a bit of a disappointment. Lots of talk without much substance. I’m critical of his plans for the LA tunnels. Really, what has he accomplishes outside of the not very revolutionary Tesla?

by Anonymousreply 6May 30, 2018 3:09 PM

What happened to his face? He looks scary.

by Anonymousreply 7May 30, 2018 3:11 PM

Dear Lord in Heaven! Is there no end to her suffering?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8May 31, 2018 10:23 AM

Musk is bit like a modern-day PT Barnum. He mostly sells snake oil to credulous fools. (Colonising Mars? Forty-minute commutes to any country in the world?)

That said, contra R6, the Tesla was a truly revolutionary invention and it's a huge shame that it looks like it will fail. I live in a small country town 45 minutes north of Melbourne and I've seen two Teslas here in the last week. There is clearly a market for a mass-produced electronic car. We are almost at peak oil, so someone has to step up and change the game.

It's just too bad that Musk is so detached from reality. For a start, he believes that we are living in a computer simulation, and is secretly funding research to 'prove' it.

by Anonymousreply 9May 31, 2018 10:37 AM

His problems appear to be in mass production - but he was going to revolutionize that too, with the fully automated factory. I think that's where most of his problems are coming from. He was going to make the factory fully automatic and then resell the designs to make anything. The problems that have cropped up with the Tesla technology itself are relatively minor and can be fixed, but the major issue that seems to be annoying shareholders is the production one - units per month or whatever. And Musk is frustrated about that and not being able to make everything work like he wants it, so he's lashing out at reporters that are asking him for the actual legitimate figures and numbers.

I had a boss like this once - I'm sure we all have - he was a great salesman, but if you pressed him for specifics, he'd usually make them up off the top of his head. He often didn't check at all. It was only when he started trying to get bids from bigger companies that were calling for actual numbers, provable, that he got showed to be the fraud he was. He tried making the numbers up, they asked for proof, and he made up some of the proof. They realized the proof had been faked and cancelled the huge contract. He tried blaming it on other things, and he never admitted the real reason to the rest of the company, but enough of us knew what it was that it just caused everyone to lose faith in him.

by Anonymousreply 10May 31, 2018 11:05 AM

Cars built by hand, fires that turned a paint sprayer into a flamethrower, rampant quality problems, and a bloated workforce plague the factory, the insiders say. That’s on top of an injury rate that Reveal News reports is higher than the industry average, with shocking examples. These interconnected symptoms of Tesla’s “production hell” raise questions about the company’s entire approach to manufacturing, which diverges significantly from the auto industry’s practices that have been honed over decades.

The sources requested anonymity to speak because of Tesla’s history of trying to catch leakers, including once reportedly leaving a “fingerprint” in memos to find who divulged them to the press.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11June 5, 2018 2:31 PM

That's the problem, R5: "Still, once he learns the lessons, I assume the cars will be better because of it."

That must also assume the money lasts until he learns those lessons and the way he's burning through bucks w/o coming anywhere close to projected production of the Model 3 (for all intents and purposes a year behind) meaning making money from sales coming in, he's going to have to go begging in the markets and they seem to have backed off the "Greater Fool" theory of valuing his auto enterprise by now.

That and he's a nasty piece of work personally and a lying sack of shit professionally and sadly, as someone mentioned above, that's what it takes these days.

Not Model 3's, but three friends who have the older more expensive model that's $75-100K tell me they remind them of 1970's GM products in terms of build quality and reliability. Lovely to look at but not quite so lovely to own. That alone keeps me from considering one.

by Anonymousreply 12June 5, 2018 2:47 PM

[quote]I read somewhere that he's learning a lot of the things the big automakers already know. I think he tried to automate too much too soon and while I think the big automakers could learn something from him, he went too far in the "everything we know is wrong" direction. Still, once he learns the lessons, I assume the cars will be better because of it.

Then a partnership with one of the big automakers makes sense.

by Anonymousreply 13June 5, 2018 2:59 PM

JFK once said that the fun part of being president is that you get to meet everyone, including the movers and shakers, all who he found to be patently second rate.

by Anonymousreply 14June 5, 2018 3:06 PM

Musk seems like a second rate person. Anyway, the Chinese took American technology and have cornered the market on electric cars.

by Anonymousreply 15June 5, 2018 3:34 PM

Musk should bring in a CEO with an excellent record of execution. Musk should then work as president and executive chairman.

I can’t see the board supporting him through the year unless he does this.

by Anonymousreply 16June 5, 2018 6:00 PM

He's definitely losing control of the media narrative.

by Anonymousreply 17June 5, 2018 6:38 PM

Dun dun DUN!!!!

---

Last week, Tesla CEO Elon Musk was bombarded with hundreds of questions from fans via Twitter — along with declarations of adoration and the occasional aspersions — ahead of the company’s annual shareholder meeting on June 5th.

The questions ran the gamut: Will Tesla create an electric microbus? Will it participate in the Formula E all-electric race? Will there be a Tesla motorcycle? How about an electric barbecue that plugs into your Tesla vehicle? "Amid the swirl of idealism, it’s easy to forget the present-day problems "

Whether these quixotic questions are answered doesn’t really matter, although it’s likely that some will be. Musk has shown an affinity for questions that focus on Tesla’s future rather than its present. Tesla’s annual shareholder meetings have historically delivered informational nuggets on existing products and plans for new ones — much to the delight of its base of true believers. The meeting is scheduled for 2:30PM PT on Tuesday at the Computer History Museum in Mountain View, California.

Amid the swirl of idealism and support for Musk and his vision, it’s easy to forget the present-day problems the company is facing. Tesla must resolve manufacturing problems and ramp up production of its Model 3 electric vehicle without compromising on quality or worker safety if it hopes to deliver on its many other plans, which include a Class 8 heavy truck, next-generation Roadster, solar roofs, and self-driving cars.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18June 5, 2018 7:47 PM

Uh oh, the car's autopilot steered the car towards the barrier, not the human:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19June 8, 2018 5:42 PM

Is he Aspergers?

by Anonymousreply 20June 8, 2018 9:51 PM

Oh no!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21June 13, 2018 8:46 AM

Why doesn't he focus on one or two product lines, and nail down the technology and fit & finish on those first, and file away Mars, the tunnel, and the bus until after he proves his cars retain a high quality five and ten years down the road? As it is, he seems all over the place.

If he were a woman they'd say he was "flighty."

by Anonymousreply 22June 13, 2018 9:41 AM

Because he's better at "envisioning" ideas instead of implementing them - that's what he enjoys doing. So he spawns new businesses and ideas but doesn't finish them very well.

by Anonymousreply 23June 13, 2018 11:28 AM

R22 Because doing so will not inflate his grandiosity to the same extent that a new product line idea a day will. Fuck anyone who buys the cars - this is not all - but a lot if not mostly - about Elon feeding Elon's ego.

It's funny: Henry Ford was more than a little odd from the start and increasingly so as he aged, but he built his empire first before he went round the bend with the Peace Ship, the Jews, soybeans, Fordlandia, the bankers, and so on. Elon wants to do more (and take credit for it) with less.

by Anonymousreply 24June 13, 2018 1:52 PM

The only Tesla I acknowledge. I wonder what he would've thought of Musk.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25June 13, 2018 2:00 PM

r25 Have any of my fellow eldergays had him?

by Anonymousreply 26June 13, 2018 2:40 PM

The stock has been on fire lately so he’s doing something right.

by Anonymousreply 27June 13, 2018 3:09 PM

R26, no darling, he hated to be touched. Hated pearls, too. Loved pigeons. Could you work with that?

by Anonymousreply 28June 13, 2018 3:51 PM

Mary McCormack is NOT pleased!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29June 16, 2018 1:31 PM

Tesla on Fire.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30June 16, 2018 3:33 PM

MARY! Your husband is a flamer!

by Anonymousreply 31June 16, 2018 4:06 PM

Dear Lord in Heaven!

by Anonymousreply 32June 16, 2018 4:08 PM

That last name though...

by Anonymousreply 33June 16, 2018 4:13 PM

It always reminds me of an old Nichols and May routine (yes, I'm old) where he played an interviewer, and she was some airhead starlet named "Barbara Musk."

by Anonymousreply 34June 16, 2018 5:49 PM

Taking existing technology and producing it in sweatshop conditions is not innovation, it is Jewish.

by Anonymousreply 35June 16, 2018 10:06 PM

I thought the flamethrowers were a separate product?

by Anonymousreply 36June 17, 2018 7:54 PM

Now he's got the "sabotage" thing going. (email to employees with words to the effect that "saboteurs are among us") It's possible - no doubt he's pissed enough people off so maybe one of them did export some code and turn the paint machines into flamethrowers - but how likely might that be?

This morning it was taunting shorts on the stock. Doesn't the guy have a business to run?

Real or not, it's a great excuse for not meeting his stated goal for 5,000 units of consistent Model C production two weeks from now.

by Anonymousreply 37June 19, 2018 12:49 AM

R37

If shorts weren’t so expensive I’d be swimming in them.

Even betting at $10/share next year is relatively expensive.

His questionable public commentary will come back hard.

Some news organization is going to get an undercover agent inside that “Hell” facility. When they show proof that they are assembling them BY HAND it will be over.

by Anonymousreply 38June 19, 2018 4:58 AM

I forgot to mention this but I had a great conversation with a friend who lives in a nice community in Greensboro North Carolina. Several neighbors have teslas and he is an environmentalist – pretty hard-core. He has made it his mission to remind them that almost all of the “green energy” they are using is 40% coal and that transmission loss over the cables makes their cars more polluting than a typical VW with the engine “cheat” against the EPA fatwa.

He’s a former VW engineer.

by Anonymousreply 39June 19, 2018 5:03 AM

When you plug yuor Tesla into one if the charging stations that are now popping up around the nation, how does one pay and what is the rate?

$/W?

by Anonymousreply 40June 19, 2018 8:59 AM

Guess who subsidizes every car they make? The US taxpayer! We’re all paying for wealthy people to own the latest iCar.

by Anonymousreply 41June 19, 2018 10:10 AM

"He has had sufficient"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42June 19, 2018 10:32 AM

"We’re all paying for wealthy people to own the latest iCar. "

One could make a case that we're all subsidizing Chevy, CMG, Buick, Cadillac, Jeep, Dodge and Chrysler cars/trucks/SUV's since we bailed GM and Chrysler out of bankruptcy.

by Anonymousreply 43June 19, 2018 11:00 AM

R43 I agree... and the Banks. They should’ve all gone under in 2008.

by Anonymousreply 44June 19, 2018 11:53 AM

r43, and r44, they paid us back.

by Anonymousreply 45June 19, 2018 3:26 PM

R45

Are you really that stupid?

by Anonymousreply 46June 19, 2018 4:08 PM

Not sure about the banks, but the auto companies did, yes.

by Anonymousreply 47June 19, 2018 4:35 PM

He needs to change his name. Sounds like a really cheap cologne or incense you find in a dollar store.

by Anonymousreply 48June 19, 2018 6:41 PM

[bold]Elon Musk races to exit Tesla's 'production hell'[/bold]

As Elon's executives race to exit Tesla and the battery factory

As he talked about “the machine that builds the machine” and envisioning a people-free factory that could churn out cars at a rate only slowed by air resistance.

As the robots bang into each other

As they hand-make parts

As they started a production line in a "very large tent"

As Elon sleeps under his desk at the factory

"For all his success, Mr. Musk can be his own worst enemy, setting unrealistic expectations publicly and at times displaying an erratic management style that add to Tesla’s challenges, say investors, former Tesla executives and close observers."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49June 28, 2018 5:49 PM

Fresh off his rant at people being mean to him over his stupid tube coffin suggestion. I love the trolling the Guardian is giving him with their photo choice.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50July 11, 2018 12:24 AM

r50 His media strategy is increasingly Trumpian: double down on being entitled and an arrogant dick. Now do it again.

by Anonymousreply 51July 11, 2018 12:28 AM

He's trying to hijack the kids narrative and is now playing the victim card. That is indeed Trumpian.

by Anonymousreply 52July 11, 2018 12:32 AM

Not much longer-

Calling the hero of Thailand was the end.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53July 20, 2018 6:33 AM

Dun dun dun!

Tesla shares drop after embarrassing memo leaks

Shares dropped almost 5% after the automaker was reported to have asked US suppliers for refunds, unnerving some investors

Telsa took another financial hit on Monday, with shares in the company dropping almost 5% after the electric automaker was reported to have asked some US suppliers to return payments to the money-losing company.

The disclosure was contained in a memo sent last week by a global supply manager and obtained by the Wall Street Journal. In it, the manager described the payments as essential to Tesla’s operation. Farting unicorn row: artist reaches settlement with Elon Musk Read more

The leak came soon after Tesla announced it was cutting several thousand jobs as part of an effort to reduce costs. Tesla has been burning through cash at a rate of about $1bn a quarter, or more than $7,430 every minute, according to data compiled by Bloomberg, and finished the first quarter with $2.7bn in cash on hand.

The company’s rapidly weakening cash position has spooked investors, and comes despite the claims of founder Elon Musk that Tesla is now a “real” carmaker after hitting a weekly goal of producing more than 5,000 mass-market Model 3s, the rate of production that the manufacturer hopes will turn the company’s economic position around.

The company has asked for an undisclosed rebate on money it has spent on suppliers since 2016.

After the memo was leaked over the weekend, Musk tweeted: “Only costs that actually apply to Q3 & beyond will be counted. It would not be correct to apply historical cost savings to current quarter.”

Still, industry analysts said it is unusual for automakers to request refunds for two previous years, as Tesla has demanded. “This is troubling for us to hear,” said Morningstar analyst David Whiston in a note to clients.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54July 23, 2018 5:05 PM

He should keep his face close-shaven. He grows facial hair like a FtM tranny

by Anonymousreply 55July 23, 2018 5:48 PM

Why are these billionaire attention-seekers so fucking ugly? Musk, Zuckerberg, Thiel. I’m sick of seeing their ugly mugs all over the place

by Anonymousreply 56July 23, 2018 6:02 PM

[bold]Tesla troll and short doxxed as heavily invested in oil industry, Musk reportedly calls his boss[/bold]

[quote]One of Tesla’s biggest anonymous trolls/shorts has been doxxed as an investment manager heavily invested in the oil industry. We are talking about ‘Montana Skeptic’ who has been using Seeking Alpha, a financial blog aggregator, and Twitter to push the bear case on Tesla for the past 3 years. He also used the platforms to send insults and attacks to Tesla bulls, bloggers, YouTubers, and reporters discussing anything that he saw as potentially being positive for Tesla.

[quote]But now that his real identity has been revealed to be Larry Fossi, a managing director at Rahr Enterprise, which is reportedly heavily invested in oil, we learn that his motivations could have originated from other reasons. Later, Fossi told his Twitter friends that he deleted his account because Musk called his boss at Rahr Enterprise to complain.

[quote]Interestingly, it comes after WSJ car reviewer Dan Neil reportedly deleted his Twitter account after he felt “attacked” on the social media by Tesla trolls and shorts, like Montana Skeptic, following his positive review of the Model 3.

Wouldn't surprise me if "Montana Sceptic" was trolling here on DL as well. These are the kind of unhinged lunatics in the pockets of the Koch brothers who are doing everything in their power to make this American company fail. I mean, the Chinese and us Europeans would be ecstatic if that were to happen because we'd just fill the void, but the US manufacturing sector? Not so much.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57July 24, 2018 10:09 PM

R57

Someone would have to be incredibly retarded to believe that. I just blocked you because you are too stupid to follow.

by Anonymousreply 58July 26, 2018 4:32 AM

Tesla's Cash crunch, explained!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59July 29, 2018 5:16 AM

Tesla countersued by 'whistleblower' it accused of sabotage and shooting threat

Firm sued Martin Tripp after Elon Musk claimed the ex-technician had attacked Tesla computer systems

The Tesla “whistleblower” who was accused of sabotage has filed a counterclaim against Tesla and Elon Musk, arguing that his former employer defamed him when it told media outlets that he had threatened a mass shooting.

Martin Tripp, a former technician at Tesla’s Gigafactory in Nevada, was sued by the electric car company on 20 June, just days after Musk had sent a company email stating that an employee had engaged in “quite extensive and damaging sabotage” against the company’s computer systems.

The lawsuit accused Tripp of hacking, theft, and making false claims to the media about punctured battery cells and excess scrap material.

Tripp fought back, telling reporters that he was not a saboteur, but a whistleblower who had leaked information to a reporter for Business Insider out of environmental and safety concerns.

In response to Tripp’s claim to be a whistleblower, Musk told the Guardian by email on the evening of 20 June that Tesla had “received a call at the Gigafactory that he was going to come back and shoot people”.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60July 31, 2018 11:35 PM

A good idea that was destroyed at the hands of a narcissist who needs to have adulation 24/7. It also doesn't help that the media propped him up without ever questioning him once. It happens all the time with entrepreneurs. It's almost as if being critical of one is forbidden in journalism. Josh Tetrick is another example.

by Anonymousreply 61August 1, 2018 12:24 AM

Musk Personality issues aside, I am a highly satisfied customer. I am on my second Tesla Model S (yes, I have some bucks). It has turned a guy who didn’t especially care about cars into one who loves his wheels. The car is spectacular inside and out, a joy to drive, and I have not purchased an ounce of gas in 5 years. I have not had a major issue and the minor ones were resolved quickly and efficiently. The sales process both times was easy and efficient. The Automatic features work perfectly well if you use them properly, which many who have had accidents do not. Teslas do not have a rate of fires any higher than gasoline powered vehicles. Maybe it is because I am such a fan that I began to notice in my hometown paper, the LA Times, an increasing number of anti Tesla articles, especially by a guy named Russ Mitchell. It is like he has a personal vendetta. Anti Tesla articles appear almost daily, sometimes twice, even three times per issue in one case. Even positive news is twisted to highlight problems “as background.” I guess I’m wondering why? Is it all just to punish Musk, his ego and hubris? My suspicion is there is more than that. Big oil and Big Auto do not want the Tesla to succeed. I’m starting to think they are trying to destroy Musk as a means of keeping the car off the road, and reporters like Mitchell are aiding and abetting.

by Anonymousreply 62August 1, 2018 2:07 AM

I’ve been trying for nearly 2 years to argue with some friends that Musk was unhinged. The current methods of creating batteries is far more ecologically destructive than oil extraction. Plus, physics that doesn’t include a nuclear component doesn’t really allow for battery powered cars that can mimic the recharge ability of gasoline powered cars. Emissions from cars has become almost nonexistent over the last two decades.

In the last 9 days I’ve had three of those people privately or publicly tell me that Tesla was a scam.

Gullible people are gullible. There’s a sucker born every minute. The clichés become cliché because they are cliché.

by Anonymousreply 63August 1, 2018 5:10 AM

Just for shiggles, I also believe bitcoin is the AOL of the blockchain.

The transformation of banking is going to be frightening, ferocious and unpredictable except in the fact that it will happen. Fortunes will be lost and won.

And, just like the early Internet, it will eventually turn into porn and cat videos.

Finally, take a cursory look at the inside trading at Facebook. It will take two years before Zuckerberg gets fined a few billion dollars, and possibly serves a few months in prison, but I’m fairly certain it will happen. His congressional testimony was enough to make a professional CEO shit their pants.

by Anonymousreply 64August 1, 2018 5:18 AM

up 9% after hours

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65August 2, 2018 2:53 AM

Profit is actually making money. Tesla is burning over a million dollars every 11 hours.

Even the New York Times accurately characterized the investors conference call. Saying that profit is imminent isn’t the same thing is actually having profit.

-

Tesla recorded another huge loss last quarter and burned through hundreds of millions of dollars in cash as it ramped up production of its first mass-market model.

But the electric-car maker intends for that loss to be its last.

Tesla is about to turn the corner, Elon Musk, the chief executive, told analysts and investors on Wednesday during a conference call after the company announced its quarterly results.

“Our goal is to be profitable and cash-flow positive for every quarter going forward,” Mr. Musk said. Outside of a recession or major economic shock, the company is confident that it can reach that target, he said.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66August 2, 2018 3:00 AM

[quote]Saying that profit is imminent isn’t the same thing is actually having profit.

Thanks, captain obvious.

They are executing the plan and the only "investors" that will lose on this will be the idiots that shorted it. They are over the hump.

by Anonymousreply 67August 2, 2018 3:06 AM

[quote]Just for shiggles, I also believe bitcoin is the AOL of the blockchain.

Blockchain is insane. Burning vast amounts of electricity to create expensive blocks of noise that have some kind of value someday if people are crazy enough. There simply is nothing there but buzzwords and hype. IT DOES NOT SCALE. It simply can not deal with more than a few transactions per second - ever. Banks need millions of transactions per second.

It's just tulip bulbs for Millennials.

by Anonymousreply 68August 2, 2018 3:13 AM

R67 We shall see. I’m rooting for Tesla, despite Elon Musk, but I see it getting bought by another company for the technology. That company will kill off all the Musk crazy ideas.

by Anonymousreply 69August 2, 2018 3:28 AM

The Tesla symbol is not a T, it's a goat head for the Baphomet.

Elon, hell will be hot!!!

by Anonymousreply 70August 2, 2018 3:38 AM

I don’t think you understand the blockchain. Proof of stake systems are scalable.

Let’s revisit this thread when Q3 rolls around and Tesla is stilll burning money like cartoon super villain.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71August 2, 2018 3:43 AM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72August 18, 2018 9:50 AM

Tesla shorts are vindicated.

by Anonymousreply 73August 18, 2018 10:48 AM

120-hour week:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74August 19, 2018 12:24 AM

‘The Devil’s Aspirin’:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75August 19, 2018 12:26 AM

"but I see it getting bought by another company for the technology."

Some Detroit engineers got a Tesla and deconstructed it. From a purely car manufacturing point of view, the car was primitive.

If the company is ever sold, better hope that technology brings in the big bucks because the manufacturing won't.

by Anonymousreply 76August 19, 2018 12:49 AM

So many tears from little Elon 😭

by Anonymousreply 77August 19, 2018 1:06 AM

R76

I doubt the patents are worth much, and the manufacturing facilities are pennies on the dollar. Both are probably worth a few hundred million dollars, nothing like the current $50B valuation.

The NYTimes interview was a joke. The SEC is fast tracking the investigation.

Tesla is just another scam created by Crony Capitalofascist insanity. There is absolutely nothing about tesla that is free market. The only time they have actually posted profits is from selling carbon credits. The technology for a long running, fast charging battery does not exist, and the laws of physics are not helping.

by Anonymousreply 78August 19, 2018 4:39 AM

In the opening months of 2013, Tesla was just starting to plan deliveries for its Model S. At the time, the company was worth a mere $3.9 billion - just 7% of the value of Ford.

Since then, Tesla's value has skyrocketed to make it the most valued auto company in North America:

Despite only producing 76,230 vehicles in 2016, Tesla is now the biggest of the "Big 3" - and this puts a lot of pressure on the company to live up to the vast expectations held by investors and media.

THE SPECULATOR'S GAMBIT

With so much hype and value assigned to expectations of future performance, Tesla and its enthusiastic investors are in a potentially tough spot.

Even though it is the most valued car company in the United States, Tesla is much less impressive by more conventional metrics:

The company has just a fraction of the employees, vehicle deliveries, and revenue of its competitors. Tesla also treads a similar path to Amazon, in that it will likely take a while for the company to ever post a profit.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79August 19, 2018 5:57 AM

R79

When the value of Tesla reverts to the intrinsic value of zero, all the geniuses will still keep their offices and salaries, just in different companies.

by Anonymousreply 80August 19, 2018 7:42 AM

Will Elon ever laugh again???

by Anonymousreply 81August 19, 2018 10:55 AM

Today was just another in a long line of bad days.

$TSLA joke is about to hit the punchline.

by Anonymousreply 82August 27, 2018 9:30 PM

When Tesla is worth $120-180 we will see.

by Anonymousreply 83August 29, 2018 3:51 AM

R83

So, about a quarter of what the Markets value them.

Fossil fuel’s have a far higher density to power.

Electric cars are like play things that continue to fuck up.

by Anonymousreply 84August 29, 2018 3:58 AM

Elon is being an ass again about the guy he called a pedo, from that Thailand kid cave thing. He seems like that insufferable relative who always has to be "technically" right.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85August 29, 2018 4:59 AM

Elon is asking why the guy hasn’t sued him yet.

Probably because Elon issued an apology statement already, or has he forgotten that?

by Anonymousreply 86August 29, 2018 5:13 PM

R86

I’m wondering if the board of directors will be ejecting him.

Another high level employee left today. Same way that it happened with Lehman Brothers, and we know how that played out. I would place the future value of Tesla shares at $14.

by Anonymousreply 87August 31, 2018 2:42 AM

Lololol

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 88August 31, 2018 3:53 AM

They tried! It seems like a lot of investors are convinced HE is the company. I bet he tried to push BlackRock out now.

by Anonymousreply 89August 31, 2018 3:57 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!