Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Maybe She Had So Much Money She Just Lost Track of It: Wannabe Socialite Anna Delvey

It started with money, as it so often does in New York. A crisp $100 bill slipped across the smooth surface of the mid-century-inspired concierge desk at 11 Howard, the sleek new boutique hotel in Soho. Looking up, Neffatari Davis, the 25-year-old concierge, who goes by “Neff,” was surprised to see the cash had come from a young woman who seemed to be around her age. She had a heart-shaped face and pouty lips surrounded by a wild tangle of red hair, her eyes framed by incongruously chunky black glasses that Neff, an aspiring cinematographer with an eye for detail, identified as Céline. She was looking, she said in an accent that sounded European, for “the best food in Soho.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 136August 4, 2020 5:42 PM

that was amazing.

by Anonymousreply 1May 29, 2018 2:18 PM

I can't believe that there's a boutique hotel on Howard Street! Ewwww

by Anonymousreply 2May 29, 2018 2:29 PM

Yeah I read that article this morning. This girl is a talented sociopath (duh) but what disturbed me the most was how in stride she was taking jail.

She is going to murder someone someday.

by Anonymousreply 3May 29, 2018 2:32 PM

Made me think she'd been in jail before, r3.

by Anonymousreply 4May 29, 2018 4:03 PM

She looks like white trash. I find these people fascinating.

by Anonymousreply 5May 29, 2018 4:39 PM

[quote]She could be oddly ill-mannered for a rich person

Written by someone who obviously hasn't met many rich people.

by Anonymousreply 6May 29, 2018 4:47 PM

Talented hustler. You can't help but be impressed how she managed to so easily con her way into the rich Manhattan circles.

by Anonymousreply 7May 29, 2018 5:01 PM

[quote]“Money, like, there’s an unlimited amount of capital in the world, you know?” Anna said to me at one point. “But there’s limited amounts of people who are talented.”

So true.

by Anonymousreply 8May 29, 2018 5:24 PM

What a grifter! She didn't go 10%, its seems like she came half-way to pulling it off. And one does need to be a real hustler in the worlds she targeted to make her success. If she was a bit prettier, and wanted to be in film, she probably could have fucked her way to the seed money she desperately sought. None of her business ideas sound outrageous, just require a lot of seed money and people willing to make the write off bad investments.

by Anonymousreply 9May 29, 2018 5:37 PM

Clearly it should be a movie or short season series.

by Anonymousreply 10May 29, 2018 5:37 PM

I guarantee this article has already been optioned. It's just that juicy.

by Anonymousreply 11May 29, 2018 5:47 PM

six degrees of separation for the soho set.

by Anonymousreply 12May 29, 2018 5:58 PM

Not pretty enough to pull it off, sad to say. She should have consulted me. I could have hooked her up with a good PS who would have given her some lips and fixed that lumpy nose. I really can't explain the hair.

by Anonymousreply 13May 29, 2018 5:58 PM

I find people like this fascinating. It must be so lonely being a con artist because, even if you're successful enough to make some headway into the wealthy set (as she was), you're forever on the outside, as it were, constantly checking yourself.

by Anonymousreply 14May 29, 2018 6:02 PM

I've seen less attractive women who were able to sink their hooks into wealthy men. She's young which would've been her biggest advantage. She actually pings a bit for me. Maybe she just couldn't find a wealthy female sponsor?

by Anonymousreply 15May 29, 2018 6:30 PM

I don't think grifters get lonely. Their greatest high is conning people, taking big risks and getting away with it--the thrill of the hunt. If anything they're probably depressed and bored when they're NOT pulling a scam. Some were raised any parents who taught them to believe that anyone who is dumb enough and trusting enough to be a victim deserves it. Or they come from historically victimized cultures, so they turn the tables and do the victimizing instead as a form of empowerment (gypsies).

by Anonymousreply 16May 29, 2018 6:45 PM

I don't get the M.O. that she was interested in using sex at all.. The article paints a portrait of a grifter who is ON at 150% 24/7 and believes her own delusions of grandeur and suffers from no cognitive dissonance let alone scruples. She's a failed Jay Gatsby. If she had an inheritance she would have been a Trump type, still grifting and thus failing at business but failing up or sideways.

by Anonymousreply 17May 29, 2018 6:48 PM

Fascinating. She is clearly able to live inside her delusions. That is a trick that not every sociopath can manage. She never doubted that the things she wanted to be true could be true. And she had no fear of being caught.

by Anonymousreply 18May 29, 2018 6:58 PM

She may be borderline schizo?

by Anonymousreply 19May 29, 2018 7:02 PM

Ha. She reminded me of a con/grifter that I worked for (at the time I didn't know he was grifting). At least I was lucky to get paid and have the checks clear (a lot of people did not). He said he worked for NBC Universal, was the son of a famous actress/brother of a famous singer (and he had that on their Wikis), and conned his way into the Grammies, a concert for the singer at the House of Blues, a photoshoot with David LaChapelle, where he conned the makeup artist to take him & the singer to Fashion Week in NYC. It all started falling apart when he told the singer that she was going to tour with U2, and she told the press back in her country in Costa Rica. NBC Universal denied the statement, and when she questioned him, he dropped her like a hot potato.

The poor singer got the worst end of it (came home with debt, no tour, plastic surgery that he demanded she get, and didn't own her website or songs), but she's picked herself up and is doing okay.

He's a very charming guy, and he'll look straight into your eyes and tell you what an honor it is to be working with you (after mentioning that he was partying with Adele, or giving Whitney some advice before she died).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20May 29, 2018 7:06 PM

Of course, he had to leave the country, but apparently he's doing well (I wonder how much money he keeps with his website):

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21May 29, 2018 7:07 PM

Ha I found the fashion week picture with the singer on his IG:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22May 29, 2018 7:10 PM

Thanks for the post Op. I love these sorts of stories.

by Anonymousreply 23May 29, 2018 7:39 PM

Throw in a murder and it's a perfect plotline for L&O.

by Anonymousreply 24May 29, 2018 7:51 PM

R14, for people who live entirely by grifting there are no friends, there are no lovers, there is no family, there are only marks. IMHO they're a different sort of personality than the professional con artists who pull off a big sting and then live on the proceeds, someone who spends their life getting everyone they meet to pay for breakfast, lunch, dinner, the hotel they live in, and the designer duds they wear feels nothing but the thrill of putting one over on someone else.

God knows what their relationships with their children are like, if they ever reproduce. Because to them, love and marriage are just another way to pull a con.

by Anonymousreply 25May 29, 2018 8:01 PM

How the mighty have fallen.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26May 29, 2018 8:45 PM

Awesome. Thanks OP.

by Anonymousreply 27May 29, 2018 8:54 PM

Can someone please summarize this article. It's long

by Anonymousreply 28May 29, 2018 8:56 PM

R28, a con artist grifter takes New York downtown society for a ride and gets caught.

by Anonymousreply 29May 29, 2018 8:58 PM

David Mamet's THE SPANISH PRISONER is also very good.

by Anonymousreply 30May 29, 2018 9:03 PM

She doesn't seem to have been very organized about it, she spent most of her time in NYC living someone-else's-hand-to-mouth.

A really good con artist would have got the financing for that club she was always talking about, and vanished with millions of the investors' money. This chick didn't seem to be after much but another day of living the high life.

by Anonymousreply 31May 29, 2018 9:04 PM

Oops, sorry, wrong thread

by Anonymousreply 32May 29, 2018 9:04 PM

actually it fits .. a bit

by Anonymousreply 33May 29, 2018 9:19 PM

#metoo from April this year

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34May 29, 2018 9:44 PM

She isn’t even pretty! Or maybe she is to straights? Ugh

by Anonymousreply 35May 29, 2018 10:01 PM

White, long red hair, not fat = straight guys will bang her.

by Anonymousreply 36May 29, 2018 10:11 PM

More sophisticated people would have glommed onto her when she could not speak proper German.

by Anonymousreply 37May 29, 2018 10:16 PM

[quote]glommed onto her

I don't thing that expression means what you think it means, R37.

by Anonymousreply 38May 29, 2018 10:23 PM

This article goes a long way to explain why so many people have been fooled by Trump. God.

by Anonymousreply 39May 29, 2018 11:10 PM

There's a great story about a con artist in Brooklyn that I was trying to option. Everyone knew she was a con artist and warned friends, acquaintances about her, but she never got in trouble. I think she finally ended up in jail for a minor charge. They did a character loosely based on her in High Maintenance.

by Anonymousreply 40May 30, 2018 12:14 AM

That article was very well written. Great read!

by Anonymousreply 41May 30, 2018 12:15 AM

It doesn’t. To glom onto someone is to stick to them or attach yourself to them, often in a needy or icky way.

by Anonymousreply 42May 30, 2018 12:27 AM

By the way, her Instagram account is still open although you can’t comment. You can like her photos though.

Anyone know what the status of the criminal case against her is? Any guesses as to how much time she’ll do?

by Anonymousreply 43May 30, 2018 12:35 AM

Ok I checked. She has passed up plea deals that might see her do about 2-4 years. Strange because the case against her seems strong and she could do up to 15 years if convicted.

Maybe she thinks she can play the jury? Maybe she can.

by Anonymousreply 44May 30, 2018 12:39 AM

I read about this one before...in Vanity Fair I think. The Morocco trip was a nightmare for the woman who had to pay for it.

by Anonymousreply 45May 30, 2018 1:25 AM

R42, you used it wrong, dear. LOL. Which you didn't realize until you Googled it just now. Why would someone stick to someone in an "icky" way once they reveal themselves to be an imposter, i.e. having a poor command of their own 'supposed' native language--German?

Just admit you thought the saying meant they would have dropped her cold.

by Anonymousreply 46May 30, 2018 1:34 AM

I feel bad for that woman.

Still, stories like these are so fascinating. I have to admit this made me intensely nostalgic for spy magazine. In the 80s, during the summer,I’d get home from work, make myself a huge G&T, and settle in with the magazine to read stories just like this one as the AC pleasantly hummed.

And tonight I did exactly the same thing, and it was great.

by Anonymousreply 47May 30, 2018 1:35 AM

R46, you poor creature. R42 a) is correct and b) is not r37.

by Anonymousreply 48May 30, 2018 1:37 AM

[quote] I read about this one before...in Vanity Fair I think. The Morocco trip was a nightmare for the woman who had to pay for it.

I read that one, too. Great read.

by Anonymousreply 49May 30, 2018 1:44 AM

That story is linked in this one as well.

by Anonymousreply 50May 30, 2018 1:58 AM

No kidding, dimwit @ R48. He (or you) looked it up and typed out the definition @ R42. Duh. All that did was clarify the fact that the phrase was used incorrectly @ R37.

by Anonymousreply 51May 30, 2018 2:13 AM

I've had a few friends who have been taken by grifters, and in two cases (when I was in my 20s) I warned them as it was happening they were being conned and they didn't believe me--until they had been taken.

I am always amazed people are so gullible, but I guess a good grifter knows how to make themselves sound believable and appealling.

by Anonymousreply 52May 30, 2018 2:14 AM

[quote]I am always amazed people are so gullible

There's a sucker born every minute. A grifter will always be able to find marks. Every scam, no matter how dumb it may seem to some people, always works enough that people use it.

by Anonymousreply 53May 30, 2018 2:35 AM

The human capacity for self-delusion is pretty much infinite, r53.

by Anonymousreply 54May 30, 2018 2:52 AM

R51 when you start approaching a point, let us know darling.

by Anonymousreply 55May 30, 2018 3:07 AM

Fighting about Italian food is so passé. 2018 is the year of Glom Fight!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56May 30, 2018 4:41 AM

Did the article explain where she was getting the thousands in cash she was indeed spending to look like she had millions in Switzerland, which she did not. There was the bank or two who gave her small credit lines. She did succeed some grifts.

by Anonymousreply 57May 30, 2018 1:29 PM

Catch Me if You Can for the social/digital media age.

No more soaking off stickers from toy airplanes onto bad checks...just amass enough IG followers on a decently curated page, and push through...

by Anonymousreply 58May 30, 2018 1:46 PM

"Rosen looked confused. He didn’t appear to have ever heard of Anna or her project. “What room is she staying in?” he asked. When Neff told him, he looked skeptical. “If my dad has someone buying property from him staying here,” he said, “would she be in a Deluxe or would she be in a suite?”

He had a point. A few days later, Neff broached the subject. “Why did you tell me you’re buying property from Aby but you’re not staying in a suite?” she asked."

With that kind of mentality, these people deserve to be scammed if that's their criteria.

by Anonymousreply 59May 30, 2018 3:06 PM

[quote]With that kind of mentality

I mean the lives of the rich aren't the same as us, I get why he is suspicious that she isn't staying a suite. Someone who was as wealthy as she claimed to be would be.

by Anonymousreply 60May 30, 2018 3:08 PM

There Is A Sucker Born Ev'ry Minute

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61May 30, 2018 3:25 PM

r57 In the VF it is explained she got $55 thousand through some scheme or other

by Anonymousreply 62May 30, 2018 3:49 PM

"You can't cheat an honest man."

Grifters and con-artists appeal to greed. Shallow, materialistic people who want an easy way to come by money, make for good marks.

by Anonymousreply 63May 30, 2018 5:22 PM

I like when someone informed her the building she wanted for her private club was leased by someone else, she called it "fake news"!

by Anonymousreply 64May 30, 2018 5:39 PM

Funny how people all become sheep around those they think are rich

by Anonymousreply 65May 30, 2018 5:42 PM

THis is exactly how Trump would be if he didn't start with a few million dollars

by Anonymousreply 66May 30, 2018 5:42 PM

R37 did you mean to say they would have NOT glommed onto her?

by Anonymousreply 67May 30, 2018 5:42 PM

I think r37 meant that they would be all over her for not being able to speak German fluently.

by Anonymousreply 68May 30, 2018 5:45 PM

Jesus H Christ, can we please have a thread that isn't derailed by relentless, tiresome grammar trolls? Yeah, I've read the "Enrich your word power" columns in Reader's Digest while taking a crap, too. Let's save the flamethrowers for people who write "ppl."

by Anonymousreply 69May 30, 2018 6:32 PM

well, i'm disappointed. I was pretty positive this story was about "Anna" being a russian spy!

by Anonymousreply 70May 30, 2018 7:31 PM

I hear you r60 but there could be any number of reasons not to stay in a suite. Like they were all booked, or they're on a too high floor or they get the morning sun, I don't know. I think there were plenty of other warning signs but "my father doesn't do business with people who don't stay in suites" is pretty insufferable.

by Anonymousreply 71May 30, 2018 11:37 PM

I was on the edge of NYC's High Society (downtown) about 15 years ago and it was a lot of very rich and spoiled people surrounded by trash with no money wanting that lifestyle.

by Anonymousreply 72May 30, 2018 11:56 PM

I didn't feel much sympathy for the writer of the VF article. She liked this woman for the money and the contacts.

by Anonymousreply 73May 31, 2018 12:01 AM

More

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74May 31, 2018 4:47 PM

How did she get that bank to wire money to the hotel? She had some money along the way.

by Anonymousreply 75May 31, 2018 4:58 PM

This reminded me of another scammer over a century ago:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76May 31, 2018 5:14 PM

Even vicarious contact with insanity makes my skin crawl... To think, the reality check on her delusions, as disorganized as they were, was ultimately her striking plainness. Really beautiful sociopaths can and do make it a lot further. People ask even fewer questions, and bail them out even more readily.

by Anonymousreply 77May 31, 2018 6:54 PM

R76 That was fascinating, thank you for the link. I'd never heard of Cassie Chadwick before. Amazing there hasn't been a major US movie about her!

by Anonymousreply 78May 31, 2018 7:43 PM

R57 / R75 failed the reading comprehension part on the SAT:

[quote] As it turned out, Anna’s hotel bills were merely the first loose threads in a web of fraudulent activity, one that began to unravel in November 2016, after she submitted documents claiming a net worth of €60 million in Swiss accounts to City National Bank in pursuit of a $22 million dollar loan. The following month, she submitted the same documents to Fortress in an attempt to secure a $25 million to $35 million loan. After that bank asked her for $100,000 to perform due diligence, she convinced a representative at City National to extend her a $100,000 line of credit, which she then wired to Fortress. Then, apparently spooked by Fortress’s decision to send representatives to Switzerland to personally check her assets, she withdrew herself from the process halfway through, wiring the remaining $55,000 to a Citibank account that she used for “personal expenses … shopping at Forward by Elyse Walker, Apple, and Net-a-Porter,” according to the New York District Attorney’s office. Then, in April, she deposited $160,000 worth of bad checks into the same account, managing to withdraw $70,000.

by Anonymousreply 79May 31, 2018 9:35 PM

^^left off the last bit:

[quote] managing to withdraw $70,000 before they were returned, which is how she managed to pay off 11 Howard.

by Anonymousreply 80May 31, 2018 10:00 PM

Was she friends with Derek Blasberg?

by Anonymousreply 81June 1, 2018 4:38 AM

Didn't someone ask about this:

Netflix and Shondaland have acquired the rights to the viral New York Magazine article How Anna Delvey Tricked New York’s Party People by Jessica Pressler.

Grey’s Anatomy and Scandal creator Shonda Rhimes is attached to write the series adaptation — the first project to be announced under the blockbuster overall deal she inked at Netflix last August, leaving her long-time home, ABC Studios. It also would mark the first series Rhimes has created since Scandal; the last few series from Shondaland, the company Rhimes runs with Betsy Beers, have come from other creators.

Since coming out on May 28, Pressler’s story has become an instant hot commodity, with about a dozen producers pursuing it for a screen adaptation, both in TV and features. I hear that Netflix stepped up in a big way, and Rhimes’ commitment to do the adaptation as her first series for the streaming platform further tipped the scales.

The article chronicles the incredible rise and fall of now-infamous Anna Delvey (real name Anna Sorokin) who, through web of lies, scammed her way into becoming an “it” girl on the New York social scene and nearly launched a Soho House–type club. She had an unwitting partner in crime, luring former 11 Howard concierge Neffatari “Neff” Davis into her schemes.

Last October, Sorokin, who had claimed to be a wealthy German heiress, was accused of instead being a con artist who had scammed money from banks, businesses and friends. She was charged with multiple counts of grand larceny and theft of services and is being held without bond on Rikers Island. She has pleaded not guilty.

Since moving to Netflix last August, Rhimes had been quietly acquiring IP, meeting with writers and developing ideas for potential series. She is in the first year of a five-year deal that, in success, could bring her $300 million or more.

Pressler was repped in the deal by Gersh. Rhimes is repped by ICM Partners and attorney Michael Gendler.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82June 9, 2018 12:24 AM

That was a good read. I was amazed she kept it going so long.

by Anonymousreply 83June 9, 2018 2:07 AM

As people upthread have already said, this would make a great little series. I'm glad Neff didn't get pulled to far into it. Man, the stories Neff can tell about "Anna."

by Anonymousreply 84June 9, 2018 2:14 AM

This project was tailor-MADE for Jennifer Lawrence.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85June 9, 2018 6:29 PM

Reminds me of Sante Kimes. She was profiled on 60 Minutes. I recall she pretended to be offended by being called a “grifter”, confusing it with “drifter”.

DataLounge fav Mary Tyler Moore played her in a TV movie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 86June 9, 2018 7:14 PM

Like so many stories like this, this will be much better as a magazine article than a movie or Netflix series.

by Anonymousreply 87June 9, 2018 7:22 PM

To whoever (is it whomever?) bumped this, THANK YOU! I started reading a few weeks ago and got sidetracked and could not find this thread as I could not remember the girl's name or the linked story! It drove me crazy!

by Anonymousreply 88June 9, 2018 7:25 PM

Apparently the VANITY FAIR article by the woman whose credit cards were charged in Morocco is being optioned as well; Margot Robbie and Jennifer Lawrence are interested.

by Anonymousreply 89June 9, 2018 7:41 PM

MARGOT! Definitely!

by Anonymousreply 90June 9, 2018 9:17 PM

Anna Delvey, ICON!

by Anonymousreply 91June 9, 2018 9:22 PM

Well you wanted it, you got it!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 92June 10, 2018 1:08 AM

Awww dammit, didn't read the end of the thread, sorry for the dupe

by Anonymousreply 93June 10, 2018 1:09 AM

[26] That's not Anna on the right, that's Lena Katina from Russian singing duo, t.A.T.u. with her singing partner Julia Volkova.

by Anonymousreply 94June 10, 2018 2:09 AM

Thanks for the article, OP! What an intriguing and tangled web of lies.

My takeaway was that it is in fact really easy to social climb if you have the right attitude and display the right status signifiers. Everyone, no matter how rich or well known, are looking for the next mark to boost themselves up, just like Anna was. That's probably why she got away with it for so long. How did nobody notice she looks super Russian, for one? Then there's the matter with the inconsistent stories, the lack of German etc. I'm guessing people were only thinking of themselves and the money/perks they could get, and didn't question the rest.

Also I found Neff to be absolutely exhausting. The T shirt anecdote made me roll me eyes so much! Why are people with and around so much money so superficial?

by Anonymousreply 95June 10, 2018 4:23 PM

[quote]her striking plainness

You must hang out solely with models - I don't think she's "plain" at all. She seems pretty average looking to me, but not unattractive.

by Anonymousreply 96June 10, 2018 5:43 PM

I'm disappointed that Shonda got the rights for it.

by Anonymousreply 97June 10, 2018 6:18 PM

Fatso.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 98June 28, 2018 5:37 PM

I had an experience with a grifter like this myself. It was in 2007, right before the Recession but when foreclosures were peaking. He convinced me to leave my secure job to work for him; he told me he was buying up portfolios of foreclosures from banks, usually hundreds of properties in each, and then reselling them to other investors at profit. Kind of like flipping a house, but all on paper. He took me to Florida, where most of the properties were large apartment complexes. My job was as his assistant, and I noticed some things seemed fishy, but he kept promising me once he got his investor to finalize the loan, and we made our first "flip," we'd be rich. Red flag #1: I wouldn't be paid, but would make 25% of the sale, resulting in a couple million for my "dedication."

We toured properties, had expensive dinners with potential investors, stayed in nice hotels. Everything was paid by my boss with his credit card. He never had cash, so we always had to use his card.

Only problem is his primary "investor" was playing him, too; that guy presented himself as wealthy and looking for real estate investments. But he kept stringing us along with the money, telling us the wire would be sent that day, next day, etc., at which time we'd be waiting at the bank for the money to arrive. Nothing. Then he'd have a convenient excuse and set us up again -- it was like Lucy and the football with Charlie Brown. This went on for a couple weeks, until he finally disappeared, cut off his number, etc. We never could figure out what his end game was, but I suspect he was trying to grift the grifter, and hope my boss would come up with alternative funding, at which point "investor" would profit as he was a partner in the biz.

There's a lot more to it, but I've blocked a lot of it from memory. I just remember that once I realized I'd been falling for this charade how stupid I felt. Then the Recession hit and I was out of a job for the next 18 months. Worst period in my life.

by Anonymousreply 99June 28, 2018 5:59 PM

Met a guy like this when I was a bouncer in a bar back in the early 00s. Took the owner of the bar for a serious ride. Hot looking black guy...body, dick of life. The owner was a recovering drunk who was finally getting his life back on track. Had a nice condo, and sober friends then this guy shows up and proceeds to fuck him silly, spend all of his money, supposedly sending cash to his mother in Alabama. Got my boss hooked on crack too. Finally his family came to his rescue, but not before he spent upwards of 300K of his money on trips, drugs and heaven knows what else. He walked out on my boss when he was withdrawing from the booze and drugs...he died from that. The guy disappeared when my boss's father hired some goons to threaten to mess him up. He left town but left poor Oscar to die from delirium tremens...you can die from that shit without medical supervision. But he was always begging for money. But Oscar always gave it to him be it for so called seed money to run a food truck, go back to college, whatever... nothing ever came to fruition and Oscar would threaten to leave him...but always took him back because of the dick... he'd brag Annie the guy could fuck him and make him come without ever touching his cock.... whipped. An awful way to go. I saw the guy in Atlantic City two years ago, still hot to death, with an older attractive white man...it never ends.

by Anonymousreply 100June 28, 2018 8:02 PM

Uh, not quite the same thing, R100.

GRIFTER, not HUSTLER.

by Anonymousreply 101June 28, 2018 8:07 PM

r99, any chance your boss and the investor were actually in it together?

Were you out of money yourself?

Interesting story.

by Anonymousreply 102June 28, 2018 8:09 PM

R102 no, i had no money to give, which is one reason I didn't think he was conning me. I 'll never know why he chose me, I think maybe he just trusted that i was a nice and reliable person. We were friends first, it was a few months before he asked me to join him.

Whenever I would question something, he'd come up with a convenient and logical excuse to explain away my doubt. It was all very weird.

by Anonymousreply 103June 28, 2018 8:20 PM

Ms. Delvey has poverty face. Anyone who was truly wealthy would have at least gotten lip fillers.

by Anonymousreply 104June 28, 2018 8:48 PM

She looks doughy and middle-aged.

by Anonymousreply 105June 28, 2018 9:21 PM

I had no idea check fraud was so lucrative.

by Anonymousreply 106June 28, 2018 10:29 PM

[quote] Neff’s boyfriend didn’t understand why she was spending so much time with this weird girl from work. Anna didn’t understand why Neff had a boyfriend. But he was rich, Neff protested. He’d promised to finance her first movie. “Dump him,” Anna advised. “I have more money.” She would finance the movie.

And now all of Neff's future boyfriends will know that she's just a grifter, too.

by Anonymousreply 107June 28, 2018 10:52 PM

Great article, wish there had been a pic of Neff or the other cast of characters mentioned.

Natasha Lyone would be perfect for this role.

by Anonymousreply 108June 29, 2018 12:11 AM

Grifters fascinate me.

by Anonymousreply 109June 29, 2018 12:26 AM

R109, me too.

R104, I think that, also. She looks like poor white trash.

by Anonymousreply 110June 29, 2018 1:50 AM

Emma Kenney of Shameless and that awful Roseanne reboot should play her. She has the same poverty face

by Anonymousreply 111June 30, 2018 6:18 PM

The article does a thorough job of explaining it. A series or even a netflix movie seems ridiculously overblown. Plus, wouldn't the grifter profit from it since they're telling her life story?

by Anonymousreply 112June 30, 2018 6:28 PM

If the Netflix movie is well done it will probably be fun - Shonda is good at this sort of thing. Plus the vanity fair photog needs to get her money back. She said she was netting less than 65k a year. In NYC that means she was probably making about 120? And she thought she could roll with the socialites.

by Anonymousreply 113June 30, 2018 8:10 PM

Well, her victims would be paid back out of any money she makes.

So that's good. Like R113 said, she owes the VF woman quite a bit. She owes the bank where she passed the bad checks and wired the money out. She owes the hotels. It'd be nice if they were paid back.

by Anonymousreply 114June 30, 2018 9:24 PM

[quote]Yeah I read that article this morning. This girl is a talented sociopath (duh) but what disturbed me the most was how in stride she was taking jail.

If she's a sociopath, then it's not a surprise that she would fare well in jail. Sociopaths are known not to respond emotionally to punishment because of their reduced ability to feel depression and anxiety.

by Anonymousreply 115July 3, 2018 3:31 AM

[quote]Well, her victims would be paid back out of any money she makes.

lol her “victims” are mostly the spoiled children of wealthy suburban people who heavily subsidize their kids’ Manhattan experiences.

by Anonymousreply 116July 3, 2018 3:48 AM

R99: "Florida real estate" should have been a clue that this wasn't right.

Big money and what passes for new money "society" in NYC, people "at the top" are often the easiest marks. They are sesnitive about their status and appeals to their importance. I've seen people who have status and resources other than money (usually influence of sorts) who were taken in by these characters. They certainly only take in lesser fish in this world as well.

Some are sociopaths. Others are just very good at dissociaiting or are borderlines. The latter are esp. good at emotional blackmail. I know someone who was good at getting his exs-s to provide free room and boards, help find work, etc. OTOH, he once had all this boomerang on him with a guy who was very controlling and was a bit grifty himeself--airbrushing his resume (claiming to have attended Harvard when he had gone to a lesser, but still respectable school) and his background (claiming Boston when it really was Canton, Ohio!).

by Anonymousreply 117July 3, 2018 11:27 AM

Anna Delvey Didn’t Look Rich—Which Is Exactly Why She Seemed Like She Was

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 118July 3, 2018 1:06 PM

I would love to know, had the financing come through, was her plan to wire it out and then disappear, or to actually run the art gallery thing that was the ostensible goal of all this.

by Anonymousreply 119July 3, 2018 1:54 PM

I think she really thought it would all come together somehow and she’d be a major nyc player

by Anonymousreply 120July 3, 2018 2:16 PM

The PCL-R is a 20-item scale that describes both personality traits and behavioral history. Each of these items may receive a score of 0, 1 or 2: 0 if the trait or behavior described is completely absent from the personality and biography of the case study, and 2 if it is fully present. To be considered a psychopath, a person must score at least 30 points on the scale. On average, normal people score from 0 to 5 points on this scale. The mean in the prison population ranges from 15 to 20. Sex murderers - on average, the most psychopathic of criminals - receive as a group 20 to 30 points depending on the study, and 35-60% of them are diagnosed as psychopaths.

Let's apply the Psychopathic Checklist - Revised to what we know of Anna Delvey.

[bold]1. Glib and superficial charm.[/bold] - Neff Davis thought she was funny. And Anna must have sharp social skills, since she managed to convince so many people, both friends and strangers, to finance her lifestyle. It also seems like she can make friends easily. On the other hand, the author of The Cut piece did not think that Anna had as much charm and charisma as people attribute to con artists. [bold]Score: 1.[/bold]

[bold]2. Grandiose sense of self-worth.[/bold] -The Anna Delvey Foundation was a project of exaggerated splendor, which probably reflects the mentality of its idealizer. The lies that Delvey told about her biography, trying to pass herself off as the daughter of billionaires, may also be the consequence of a grandeur mania. In addition, Rachel Williams described her as having ‘comical levels of overconfidence.’ [bold]Score: 2.[/bold]

[bold]3. Need for stimulation or Proneness to Boredom.[/bold] - Williams described her as energetic and always up to something, and Anna's own lifestyle - jumping from hotel to hotel, party to party, restaurant to restaurant, and always looking for luxury spots to vacation - seems to be the result of a strong need to always seek stimulation from the external environment. [bold]Score: 2.[/bold]

[bold]4. Pathological lying.[/bold] - Clear throughout her entire modus operandi: she lied about her name, about her family and origins, and always had a lie ready whenever the victims of her schemes came to demand the money they had lent her back. [bold]Score: 2.[/bold]

[bold]5. Conning and manipulative.[/bold] - See above. [bold]Score: 2.[/bold]

[bold]6. Lack of remorse or guilt.[/bold] - The judge who analyzed her plea deal offer rejected it based on the basis that she does not seem to feel remorse for what she did. [bold]Score: 2.[/bold]

[bold]7. Shallow affect.[/bold] - When those women came to confront Anna during the "intervention," Rachel described the latter's reaction as follows: "Anna's face assumed an unsettling blankness. Her eyes were empty. " Moreover, the fact that Anna's shown little concern for her current situation also seems to be evidence of emotional emptiness. [bold]Score: 2.[/bold]

[bold]8. Callousness and lack of empathy.[/bold] - As stated above, Anna seems to show no concern for her victims. Rachel also said that Anna tended to be so direct, that she would put people off. Narcissists tend to be that way because of their lack of empathy. On the other hand, neither her social conduct nor her crimes show sadistic traits, so it is not possible to assign her the highest score in this item. [bold]Score: 1.[/bold]

[bold]9. Parasitic lifestyle.[/bold] - She lived off of defrauding banks and conning her friends. [bold]Score: 2.[/bold]

[bold]10. Poor behavioral controls.[/bold] - There is no evidence, at least in the public record, that Anna had difficulty controlling her impulses or that she tended to have rage fits. [bold]Score: 0.[/bold]

[bold]11. Promiscuous sexual behavior.[/bold] - She could be asexual for all we know. [bold]Score: 0.[/bold]

[bold]12. Early behavioral problems.[/bold] - Little was said about Anna's childhood. In The Cut piece, she was described simply as a quiet child. [bold]Score: 0.[/bold]

by Anonymousreply 121July 14, 2018 8:00 PM

[bold]13. Lack of realistic, long-term goals.[/bold] - The Anna Delvey Foundation was not a very realistic project. In addition, bad checks and loans from duped friends are not how one builds a fortune, let alone a name, in the long run. After the project went downhill, Anna went on to live on day by day basis, crashing into a new friend's apartment a day in order to not live on the streets. She did not seem to have any long-term strategy. [bold]Score: 2.[/bold]

[bold]14. Impulsivity.[/bold] - Some of Anna's schemes give evidence of impulsiveness and lack of planning. For example, her attempt to dine and dash at a restaurant was pretty stupid. [bold]Score: 1.[/bold]

[bold]15. Irresponsibility.[/bold] - She always defaulted on her loans. [bold]Score: 2.[/bold]

[bold]16. Failure to accept responsibility for own actions.[/bold] - In The Cut piece, she still insists that she was not a fraud and that she only failed to fulfill her obligations because of temporary setbacks. [bold]Score: 2.[/bold]

[bold]17. Many short-term marital relationships.[/bold] - There is no evidence that she has ever been married.[bold]Score: 0.[/bold]

[bold]18. Juvenile delinquency.[/bold] - Not that we know of. [bold]Score: 0.[/bold]

[bold]19. Revocation of conditional release.[/bold] - She’s not even been released yet. [bold]Score: 0.[/bold]

[bold]20. Criminal versatility.[/bold] - Well, she was a thief and a fraudster. [bold]Score: 1.[/bold]

In total, Anna Delvey scores 24 points. Scores of 20 to 29 points tend to be described in the scientific literature as evidence of moderate or secondary psychopathy. I myself, though, think Anna is a primary psychopath (≥ 30). Her score on this scale is already quite high for someone about whom we have relatively little biographical knowledge. If more was known about her, perhaps her score would be higher. Besides, she's still young. She should beef up her score as the years go by and she adds experience to her criminal record.

by Anonymousreply 122July 14, 2018 8:02 PM

It’s not that “she doesn’t look rich”, it’s that she looks like poor white trash. Either Appalachian or Russian.

by Anonymousreply 123July 14, 2018 9:40 PM

Actually in the main photo she looks like a grown-up Madeleine McCann.

by Anonymousreply 124July 14, 2018 10:30 PM

If Lily Cole is still acting, she would be perfect as Delvey.

In a weird way, I admire her balls. But she scammed and took advantage of people in a completely sociopathic and cruel way. She doesn't care about anybody. If her only victims were greedy wannabe investors and snooty hotels who pay their staff a pittance I'd say: so what? But these were people saw her as friends and trusted her.

by Anonymousreply 125July 14, 2018 10:32 PM

Neff is black or biracial

How will Hollywood handle this?

by Anonymousreply 126July 27, 2018 6:11 PM

Anna finds the murderers in her cellblock interesting.

by Anonymousreply 127July 27, 2018 7:42 PM

This story was such a guilty pleasure last summer. I had an enormous gin and tonic and read the whole NYM article with relish. Yes, she’s a terrible person, but her probable long prison term is a depressing ending to the tale.

by Anonymousreply 128April 27, 2019 4:02 AM

R128 it'll be interesting to see if Anna gets a longer sentence than Elizabeth Holmes, who did something a hell of a lot worse.

I read the article by Rachel Williams, and to be honest Williams came across rather badly, even in her own words. I truly do feel bad for the trainer though - she genuinely cared about Anna and was willing to help her even after it became clear Anna was a con artist.

by Anonymousreply 129May 6, 2019 7:52 PM

Sentenced

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 130May 10, 2019 4:11 PM

r7 “Rich Manhattan circles” are fucking stupid.

by Anonymousreply 131May 10, 2019 4:23 PM

Well, at least the jury remained impartial.

[quote]Juror No. 11 attended the sentencing and said that one morning, the annoyed panelists had to wait 2½ hours for the trial to begin during one of Sorokin’s sartorial meltdowns.

[quote]“I could hear her through the walls, ‘This is not what I wanted!’” the juror recalled, mimicking Sorokin’s hysterical sobs.

[quote]“No one liked her,” the juror added.

by Anonymousreply 132May 12, 2019 4:09 AM

A face full of Big Bertha’s stank snatch for breakfast every day!!!

by Anonymousreply 133May 12, 2019 4:31 AM

You know, I'm not rich, never have been. So I honestly don't understand how all these banks were willing to front money to her. I can't deposit a 50 dollar check and withdraw 20 dollars before it clears. Could someone explain to me like I'm 10, how the hell that happens? And how did such a young woman know how to do all this? How to talk to these people and be believable?

by Anonymousreply 134May 12, 2019 5:54 AM

Anyone?

by Anonymousreply 135May 13, 2019 7:33 AM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 136August 4, 2020 5:42 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!