Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Chrissie Hynde, A Modest Proposal For DL Sainthood

It dawned on me that we rarely talk about her, but, my stars...this fukkin' Rock Mama is a GODDESS for right-thinking nellies and fruits of a certain age.

Perfect unique voice, tons of attitude, legendary look, unabashed Lefty..she's right up our collective alley.

Here's a beautiful, haunting post-Pretenders song that popped into my head about 45 minutes ago, prompting this post.

Let's chat about Chrissie Hynde.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76June 19, 2018 10:09 PM

She grabbed my tit.

by Anonymousreply 1May 27, 2018 3:41 AM

Oh, that horrible cover she did of that Christmas song that plays on the radio every year!

by Anonymousreply 2May 27, 2018 3:46 AM

I detest her voice. That idiotic rhythmic vibrato that pulses 2-to-the-beat makes me laugh. In interviews she is constantly pissed off and confrontational. About as charming as Morrissey.

by Anonymousreply 3May 27, 2018 3:46 AM

Didn't she piss us off with some stupid statement?

by Anonymousreply 4May 27, 2018 3:47 AM

Here's Goddess culturally appropriating, with kdlang in the background assuming a Michael Musto visage.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5May 27, 2018 3:49 AM

r4, i think she made some ill-advised rape comment. she's made a lot of ill-advised comments over the years.

but her hairdo..jeezus...rocking that vidal klute mega-shag for 35 years, and it still looks like the freshest damned thing.

by Anonymousreply 6May 27, 2018 3:54 AM

Limbaugh agrees.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7May 27, 2018 3:54 AM

I love her voice.

She kind of doesn't give a fuck. And it's not an act.

[quote]kdlang in the background assuming a Michael Musto visage.

LOL.

by Anonymousreply 8May 27, 2018 3:54 AM

I've started packing ever since she tried to strangle me.

by Anonymousreply 9May 27, 2018 3:58 AM

rocking that vidal klute mega-shag for 35 years, and it still looks like the freshest damned thing.

Absolutely. This displays it nicely. Maybe this video was played in America but I sure never saw it before youtube. Love her look.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10May 27, 2018 3:58 AM

I was at Tea&Sympathy on Greenwich quite a few years ago when the door opened and two tall galls stood there scanning the room for an empty table - Sandra Berhnard & Chrissie. Too bad the place was full. I would love to have eavesdropped on them.

by Anonymousreply 11May 27, 2018 4:03 AM

[quote]rocking that vidal klute mega-shag for 35 years, and it still looks like the freshest damned thing.

The cut's OK, but the light hair color doesn't work.

There is a recent BBC doc about her where the crew follows her around for a few weeks, between London and Paris (and a visit to Akron). It was surprisingly dull. She lives alone, paints bad art, eats popcorn, shops alone, seems lonely... just like the rest of us.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12May 27, 2018 4:14 AM

galls = gals

by Anonymousreply 13May 27, 2018 4:16 AM

Nasty, B-List drunk.

by Anonymousreply 14May 27, 2018 4:17 AM

Are her eyes real? How does she tolerate that hair constantly in them?

by Anonymousreply 15May 27, 2018 4:22 AM

She would like to work with Kate Bush:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16May 27, 2018 4:22 AM

Beauty is a duty, r15.

by Anonymousreply 17May 27, 2018 4:23 AM

Maybe she was born without a forehead.

As a kid, I thought she and Patti Smith were the same person.

by Anonymousreply 18May 27, 2018 4:26 AM

I hate that song she did called "I'll Stand By You". I think that's the name of it. And I think it's an awful version of "Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas" that R2 remembers. I liked "Brass In Pocket" and "My City Was Gone." But I never much liked Chrissie Hynde. She's always seemed like a very unpleasant person. And she seems to think a lot of herself.

by Anonymousreply 19May 27, 2018 4:27 AM

Wow...this is interesting.

I'm guessing I saw this when it was originally broadcast...on my local Phila UHF channel...lulz.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20May 27, 2018 4:46 AM

"Self-mythologizing" was what was said of her quite often early in the band's career, R19.

I welcomed the Eighties and the Pretenders first LP with open arms. I should have known better. A lot of musicians can come off as tremendously unlikable people, but redeem themselves in your eyes in the next moment. John Lennon, Frank Zappa, John Cale..then there's Lou Reed (who loathed his audience, perhaps rightly so), and Hynde. Even Morrissey comes off better in interviews than those two.

The first three Pretenders records were terrific, but how many outfits could survive losing half its members and all within a year of each other? Hynde did quite well for herself, a kid from the heartland who plops herself down in Merrie Olde, gets lucky, and has the rock and roll fairy tale life. Why is she so miserable? Vegan insanity, perhaps.

This was the last thing they did that I liked..no, loved unreservedly. Her finest ballad.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21May 27, 2018 4:55 AM

I adore Chrissie. Saw her last year on tour and she's still got it — sounds good and does a great snarly-friendly patter between songs.

She hired two young VERY handsome guys for the tour and teased them throughout the show.

But her "art" ‚— honey, just no. It's mortifying.

by Anonymousreply 22May 27, 2018 4:58 AM

She’s precious... ah, fuck off!,,

by Anonymousreply 23May 27, 2018 4:59 AM

Chrissie's most difficult night in show business...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24May 27, 2018 5:37 AM

Shortly followed by this.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25May 27, 2018 5:39 AM

R19 she has talked about being gang raped, and beaten by a boyfriend. Probably some things you never really get over.

by Anonymousreply 26May 27, 2018 5:59 AM

She’s tremendous.

I love hearing Brass in Pocket and Break Up the Concrete!

by Anonymousreply 27May 27, 2018 6:14 AM

I think she is fantastic. Nothing you guys say will change my opinion. She is a very talented artist. I volunteer to go door to door to collect signatures to help you with your quest OP. And aren't we all ending up back on a chain gang at one time or another in our lives?

by Anonymousreply 28May 27, 2018 6:19 AM

r28, i look forward to forwarding you some hot info on gathering signatures.

thanks for your support!

by Anonymousreply 29May 27, 2018 6:48 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30May 27, 2018 6:54 AM

I know this is a bit of a throwaway novelty, but I LOVE this song. "Would you like sour cream.... on your potato, honey" and "there go the delicates" always kill me. The combination of her deadpan delivery, and the tight (but, somehow, cheeky sounding) band never fails to make me smile.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31May 27, 2018 7:35 AM

Love the Pretenders, but I was confused for the longest time about why she still holds on to the band name when the only constant is her as the lead singer.

by Anonymousreply 32May 27, 2018 8:35 AM

I've always loved her music, but she's a huge diva. Saw her in concert once and she threw a fit about folks filming her with cell phones. She threatened to stop the show and leave if people didn't put their phones away. (And this was just after the first song.) I thought, "Jeez, you've been in the public eye for 30+ years, all you ever wanted to be was a rock and roll star, and you're upset that folks want to take your picture? Honey, you should start bitching when they STOP wanting to take your picture." That incident has forever changed my opinion of her. I still listen to her music, though.

by Anonymousreply 33May 27, 2018 11:05 AM

[quote] I've started packing ever since she tried to strangle me.

Sorry Car, got a little overexcited.

But that WAS and IS a real fuckin' singer on that stage!

by Anonymousreply 34May 27, 2018 11:24 AM

The eyebrow raising comment she made about rape was basically that she put herself in the position (got dolled up, flirted and got drunk), and that women shouldn't go into positions where it might happen.

Her words, not mine, but I daresay a number of the antifrau DL contingent would find no fault with such a statement.

by Anonymousreply 35May 27, 2018 11:26 AM

Oh, and Carly -- at least I can still sing!

by Anonymousreply 36May 27, 2018 11:50 AM

R36 Bless your heart.

by Anonymousreply 37May 27, 2018 11:51 AM

Her comments about rape was that women are basically asking to be raped by the way they dress.

An opinion shared by other open minded people: “Sami Abu-Yusuf also said one of the reasons why the men raped or assaulted the women was "due to the way they dressed." "If they're half-naked and wearing perfume, it's not surprising that such things would happen," Abu-Yusuf said.”. This are comments on the NYE mass sexual assaults.

by Anonymousreply 38May 27, 2018 2:28 PM

[quote]I've always loved her music, but she's a huge diva. Saw her in concert once and she threw a fit about folks filming her with cell phones.

I've been to concerts where the band asked for no phones. It was great to enjoy a live show without hundreds of phones shining in my direction. And it completely changed the atmosphere in the room - people were present.

I'm with her on this one. Even if she threw a fit about it.

by Anonymousreply 39May 27, 2018 5:46 PM

I always liked this track from Last of the Independents, Love Colors:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40May 27, 2018 5:51 PM

I'd sign on for her canonization, no question about it. DL Canonization? Eh, I'm not so sure... But for those of us who love her and "get" her, she's a one-off, never to be repeated, never to be replaced. Yeah, she's abrasive and has zero tolerance for anyone who so much as [italic]touches[/italic] a piece of chicken or beef, but she's also witty as hell and so fucking smart. Most of all, she's given us decades of songs to love.

Favorite lyric, referring to a former lover's new GF: "I can see just where she's headin' / She's as predictable as Armageddon."

Favorite song: "Show Me," from [italic]Learning to Crawl[italic]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41May 27, 2018 6:28 PM

R35, a lot of women who have been raped in the same situation would find no fault with that statement, too.

and R38, sweetie, how about quoting Hynde instead of a lame attempt at "guilt-by-association" with a woman-hating male?

Hynde was a truly unique talent, a very tough and very compassionate woman. If anyone gets ruffled by her crusty exterior perhaps they need to get out more.

by Anonymousreply 42May 27, 2018 6:41 PM

Probably one of the best concerts I've been to.

If she is in your town, GO SEE HER!

by Anonymousreply 43May 27, 2018 6:43 PM

He showed me what that hole was for......yeah.

by Anonymousreply 44May 27, 2018 9:54 PM

[quote]Favorite song: "Show Me," from Learning to Crawl

Good one.

by Anonymousreply 45May 27, 2018 9:58 PM

R38: I happen to love Chrissie Hynde but she’s said lots of really nasty shit about women over the years. Internalized misogyny.

by Anonymousreply 46May 27, 2018 10:00 PM

In a lot of photos she reminds me of Melania.

by Anonymousreply 47May 28, 2018 1:22 AM

I love so many of their/her songs, and have memories with so many of them.

But I remember this being the one that was playing when my parents dropped me off at college. Love it still.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48May 28, 2018 4:49 PM

She got to fuck Ray Davies, always an ambition of mine.

by Anonymousreply 49May 29, 2018 2:22 AM

[quote] She got to fuck Ray Davies, always an ambition of mine.

Who'll be the next in line?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50May 29, 2018 2:53 AM

I love her remake of "Crimson & Clover".

by Anonymousreply 51May 29, 2018 3:06 AM

R51 That's Joan Jett, you fat meat eating whore!

by Anonymousreply 52May 29, 2018 3:08 AM

R52: Really? My bad. Well, I like that song from The Pretenders called "I Love Rock And Roll". That's a good one.

by Anonymousreply 53May 29, 2018 3:12 AM

I smell a stench

Oh no, that's just Akron

by Anonymousreply 54May 30, 2018 4:42 PM

[quote]Her comments about rape was that women are basically asking to be raped by the way they dress.

That's not exactly what she said. She said that she had been hanging around with bikers and so on, people who actually wore pins that say, "I love rape," and then get coerced into sex, and then claim you have no culpability at all.

In other words, don't jump into a lion cage and then be stunned that you get eaten.

by Anonymousreply 55May 30, 2018 5:01 PM

I like that song 10,000 miles. They play that at Christmastime.

by Anonymousreply 56May 30, 2018 5:02 PM

Well, this thread inspired me to learn more about her.

I always thought she was a dyke, but she apparently had relationships and children with members of The Kinks and Simple Minds.

by Anonymousreply 57May 30, 2018 7:01 PM

God you guys are really slipping... listen to "Tattooed Love Boys" (I shot my mouth off and you showed me what that hole was for! ugh), Bad Boys get Spanked" or "Pack it Up" (and your insipid record collection) Chrissie was "it" when it came to punk music and attitude and being a woman in a man's world of music.

Let's not forget "Brass in Pocket", "China Slide" or "Precious" (but not me baby I'm too precious, fuck off!).

She liked to fuck as well, ask Ray Davies or that guy from Simple Minds. Popped out a few kids with their DNA to boot.

Of course she's a Goddess for DL - she's old and cranky and had her heyday in the late 80s/early 90s; she's been irrelevant for decades, but still believes her shit don't stink - just like so many of you.

I thought she was fabulous - in a previous century.

by Anonymousreply 58May 30, 2018 7:25 PM

Women are put under pressure to look attractive and to flirt and then are blamed if they are raped, maybe that's why Chrissie looks so decidedly masculine.

by Anonymousreply 59May 30, 2018 7:36 PM

Cuban Slide

by Anonymousreply 60May 30, 2018 9:11 PM

She's a massive cunt in interviews. So confrontational and irrationally angry that she sounds like she's on the verge of a psychotic break.

by Anonymousreply 61May 30, 2018 9:21 PM

She did an interview with MTV once and the interviewer called her the queen of rock and roll. She glared at him and said, "Go Fuck Yourself"

by Anonymousreply 62May 30, 2018 9:52 PM

r62- Would you find that and post it here, please? I'd love to see!

But, maybe she reacted that way because of the way Joan Jett is also called Queen of RnR, so Chrissie judt thought they weren't taking it seriously when they said it to her too.

by Anonymousreply 63June 9, 2018 4:03 AM

Love her voice.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64June 9, 2018 4:06 AM

She always bugged the living hell out of me. Her voice was so thin and flat. I found her rat-faced and trashy looking which I know is part of her appeal, but still.

by Anonymousreply 65June 9, 2018 6:45 AM

“ Her voice was so thin and flat”

Her voice is neither thin nor flat.

by Anonymousreply 66June 9, 2018 6:55 AM

I just watched her on Austin City Limits last weekend. I think she looks and sounds better now than she di in the 80’s. She adheres to Hinduism and clean, vegan living. She has a vegan restaurant in her hometown in Ohio which is cool.

by Anonymousreply 67June 9, 2018 12:33 PM

"The Queen of Rock and Roll" is a title that gets tossed around indiscriminately. I don't think there ever really was one.

by Anonymousreply 68June 9, 2018 7:59 PM

R63 I tried to find it but couldn't. From what I remember it wasn't a full interview with her, just a mix of interviews with different female rockers that were big at the time.

by Anonymousreply 69June 10, 2018 10:51 PM

I think her restaurant closed. Vegan, yeah, clean living no unless you consider drugs and alcohol clean living.

by Anonymousreply 70June 10, 2018 10:54 PM

I adore her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71June 11, 2018 4:04 AM

Yes....Chrissie! Cuban Slide & My City Was Gone are my favorite songs. She also took fire for a 9-11 comment. That the U.S. had brought it on themselves, with their foreign policy.......no one wanted to hear that, but it was true.

by Anonymousreply 72June 11, 2018 7:01 AM

Someone earlier wrote that Chrissy Hynde is the only original member. Martin Chambers the Pretenders drummer is also an original band member.

by Anonymousreply 73June 11, 2018 9:56 AM

Have loved her music since the beginning, but she has always seemed completely devoid of humor.

by Anonymousreply 74June 19, 2018 12:03 PM

She was really good friends with Madonna, aroubd the time Madonna was married to Sean Penn. In one of Madonna's many Rolling Stone cover stories, Chrissie is quoted about her friendship with Madonna and says something like, "Madonna writes beautiful songs", this was around 1986 /1987

by Anonymousreply 75June 19, 2018 3:27 PM

No, R74 - I’m not a fan, but I read her book and she's very funny. Very dry.

by Anonymousreply 76June 19, 2018 10:09 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!