Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The Middle Series Finale: "A Heck of a Ride"

Anyone else watch? This show may never have gotten the acclaim and awards it deserved, but as Frankie Heck wisely said: "For all the things we didn't have, we sure did have a lot"

Wonderful stuff.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 169July 19, 2019 7:38 AM

Fuck. Patricia. Heaton. Republican. Cunt.

by Anonymousreply 1May 23, 2018 3:13 AM

Here's to hoping we never see that Republicunt again.

by Anonymousreply 2May 23, 2018 3:15 AM

Why do they look like that?

by Anonymousreply 3May 23, 2018 3:16 AM

Maybe fellow right wing cunt Roseanne can give her a job, now that she's unemployed.

And then hopefully, a meteor will crash into both of them on the set.

*crossing fingers*

by Anonymousreply 4May 23, 2018 3:17 AM

Here's hoping we DO see more of Charlie McDermott.

by Anonymousreply 5May 23, 2018 3:18 AM

Patricia Heaton expressed disappointment that the show was ending just as Trump got elected, and they wouldn't have an opportunity to "explore that". Fuck her. I'm tired of Trump wing nuts trying to act like a vote for Trump was a vote for "social change" and not a vote for bigotry, racism, xenophobia, etc.

Fuck her twice.

Also, is the youngest child on this show a little person? He has looked like that for the show's entire run.

by Anonymousreply 6May 23, 2018 3:22 AM

Great show! Republican, Democrat, I could care less. These were regular folks. The Middle. Such an underrated program. Keep on putting us normal folk down, and we'll stick out to you. Nixon, Reagan, Bush, Bush 2.0, and now Trump. This is a center-right country.

by Anonymousreply 7May 23, 2018 3:22 AM

Yeah R7, Patricia Heaton is right there with you, a real working stiff. She could give a rats ass about you, unless you want to have an abortion.

by Anonymousreply 8May 23, 2018 3:24 AM

Patricia Heaton's personal politics aside, this was a great show that stayed remarkably consistent throughout it's entire run. So much better than Modern Family. Neil Flynn was great as were all three kids. How Eden Sher never received an Emmy nomination is beyond me. I'll miss this show.

by Anonymousreply 9May 23, 2018 3:25 AM

R7 = Roseanne Barr.

Hey, don't you have people who work on your lame show to harass?

by Anonymousreply 10May 23, 2018 3:26 AM

r6, yes. They had to end the show because the little one has been gifted to the Earl and Earline of Dumbarton.

by Anonymousreply 11May 23, 2018 3:28 AM

And you know who else could give a rats ass about your R7, TRUMP. You're just a means to his ends. Ironically, the folks that most care about "normal people" are more likely to be the "liberal snowflakes" that you all claim aren't hearing or noticing you.

by Anonymousreply 12May 23, 2018 3:29 AM

I was happy to see that in the short scene showing Sue's future wedding, a beaming, happy Brad could be seen with his boyfriend:)

by Anonymousreply 13May 23, 2018 3:33 AM

It was a quiet, understated ending, true to the tone of the show. I remember a scene in one of the first seasons where Frankie and Sue were shopping for a dress for Sue. In the fitting area, another teen was melting down and exasperating her mother. Frankie smiled to herself smugly. Then, a few seconds later, Sue started melting down and started shrieking at Frankie.

by Anonymousreply 14May 23, 2018 3:39 AM

Look at that Republicunt's wig in OP's picture. She can't even get her wig right, stupid Republicunt.

by Anonymousreply 15May 23, 2018 3:40 AM

Most of this country is poor, or barely getting by. Most of this country is quite white. The Middle represented us.... Obama's legacy is Russia! His foreign policy and his intelligence community along with Obama's lack of foresight allowed for Russia to expand her influence. Romney was right in '12 and he was laughed off the stage.

by Anonymousreply 16May 23, 2018 3:43 AM

Oh, it's Patricia herself! Even Roseanne in all her craziness would have never voted for Romney. You know, Mr. "47%", the true patron saint of the little guy.

by Anonymousreply 17May 23, 2018 3:47 AM

I wanna know who the leader of the Democratic Party is? Honestly. Who the fuck is leading that ship?! Pelosi? Lol. Obama at Netflix Studios? Lol

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18May 23, 2018 4:07 AM

[quote]I was happy to see that in the short scene showing Sue's future wedding, a beaming, happy Brad could be seen with his boyfriend:)

How do you know it wasn't his husband? Huh?

by Anonymousreply 19May 23, 2018 4:19 AM

Why do we have to make this political? It was a cute family comedy that I enjoyed. I thought it was a nice ending.

by Anonymousreply 20May 23, 2018 4:39 AM

My eighty-four year old mother watches.

It's skillfully done, if dreary from what I've seen.

I can't imagine what that arm-flapping, homely, and charmless neurotic mess of a daughter will be doing after this.

by Anonymousreply 21May 23, 2018 4:41 AM

Agree that Eden Sher was completely overlooked and deserve more awards than she received.

The show was good - despite Patricia's wacky political beliefs. And it IS wacky - conspiratorial and preachy - not just the fact that she's a conservative.

by Anonymousreply 22May 23, 2018 5:05 AM

The small kid on the right is terrifying-looking. WTF is that?

by Anonymousreply 23May 23, 2018 6:12 AM

I loved Brad's raspberry-pink suit at Sue and Sean's wedding.

by Anonymousreply 24May 23, 2018 6:25 AM

Sue's wedding dress was similar to Amy's dress on Big Bang Theory.

Both awful.

And Sean was rocking that blue suit.

by Anonymousreply 25May 23, 2018 6:34 AM

For some reason I keep thinking that Charlie McDermott guy was the son of John Ritter, he does kinda look like him. Does that other guy have some sort of dwarfism?

by Anonymousreply 26May 23, 2018 8:10 AM

I enjoyed some episodes here and there.

by Anonymousreply 27May 23, 2018 8:15 AM

The pedophiles are sad because one, the shirtless guy got "too old", two there was no replacement...

by Anonymousreply 28May 23, 2018 8:18 AM

Why do you watch lowbrow garbage like this?

by Anonymousreply 29May 23, 2018 8:26 AM

My partner likes this show so I would casually watch too. Normally I would probably enjoy a show of this genre, but there was something “off” about it. They were middle class working people but it still seemed so sterilized and vanilla. I say that as someone who grew up in a working class family. I think I prefer Roseanne more because it feels so similar to how I grew up. It was more in your face and raw. Anyways, I think The Middle could have benefited more from greater character depth and development. Things just seem so shallow with basically no depth to it. I guess you could say it was one dimensional. At the end it was getting uncomfortable to see the grown adult children acting so incredibly immature. I also hate to say it but Brick’s cuteness wore off a long time ago. The show fulfilled a lot of things but it could have went off the air a few seasons ago.

by Anonymousreply 30May 23, 2018 8:35 AM

[quote]For some reason I keep thinking that Charlie McDermott guy was the son of John Ritter, he does kinda look like him

Funny you say that. I had never thought that over the entire run of the series but several time in tonight's finale he did remind of John Ritter. Maybe with the shorter hair he looked more like Ritter but there was also something about his mannerisms or physical demeanor made me think that.

by Anonymousreply 31May 23, 2018 8:35 AM

Charlie McDermott is hot, something that cannot be said about anyone named Ritter.

by Anonymousreply 32May 23, 2018 8:54 AM

No shirtless body shot of brick when he was in high school

by Anonymousreply 33May 23, 2018 9:05 AM

Why does she wear that effing WIG?

by Anonymousreply 34May 23, 2018 9:14 AM

The house is filthy; I just couldn't watch it. Same with Roseanne and Malcolm in the middle.

by Anonymousreply 35May 23, 2018 9:26 AM

Her wig was always too flat.

by Anonymousreply 36May 23, 2018 9:37 AM

I couldn't get past her hair either. Desperate.

by Anonymousreply 37May 23, 2018 9:37 AM

[quote]Fuck. Patricia. Heaton. Republican. Cunt.

ZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzz

by Anonymousreply 38May 23, 2018 9:57 AM

About Brick actor, from Wikipedia: Shaffer has type four osteogenesis imperfecta [3][4][5] a condition involving a defect in type 1 collagen, which causes fragile bones. He is a Christian and has given interviews on that.[6][7]

Tricia Heaton: fuck her.

by Anonymousreply 39May 23, 2018 10:15 AM

R7, your delusions are sad to see, but indicate to me that you are so untethered from reality that any rational discussion would be wasted on you. Nonetheless, I'm putting you on ignore.

And I'm leaving this thread, as I have politicized it and realize I should let others enjoy their discussion of a show they enjoyed.

by Anonymousreply 40May 23, 2018 10:17 AM

It was nice to see a show not set in LA or NYC.

by Anonymousreply 41May 23, 2018 10:28 AM

Atticus has a really noticeable limp too which the character didn't have so they cut around it or didn't have him walk to much.

by Anonymousreply 42May 23, 2018 12:43 PM

It was a sweet series. One of the few that I could watch with my parents, that they also enjoyed. I'm sad that it's ending.

by Anonymousreply 43May 23, 2018 1:04 PM

R30, i've been watching the show for years and I disagree about is being sterile and vanilla. They had many struggles, including money worries, buying groceries at the Frugal Hoosier, broken appliances, mismatched dishes, using lawn chairs at the dinner table, sibling arguments, no pat resolutions but an awful lot of love, and putting on some fresh deodorant before going out to that rare dinner…

by Anonymousreply 44May 23, 2018 2:14 PM

What r7 doesn't get, and never will get, is that, yes, this show reflected a lot of America (including a lot of people on this thread, despite the fact that r7 seems to think no "normal" people are on this thread)...and that the Republican Party gives absolutely NO shits about r7 or the kind of people featured on this show. ZERO. ZILCH. Not one SHIT.

So while r7 can believe the Republican Party, the party of Nixon (pardoned) and the Bushes (Heck of a job, Brownie) is the party of "normal" people, the rest of us know that the only way to help people like the people on this show is to vote for Democrats.

by Anonymousreply 45May 23, 2018 2:22 PM

And yet Heaton starred on a show that always treated gay Brad kindly, right to the end. In a way I don't recall seeing on any other show, the gay kid dating their daughter as they wait for the eventual truth to come out without judgement. Hardly a rigid world view. I think some of you need to lighten up.

by Anonymousreply 46May 23, 2018 4:27 PM

It was a cheese pizza of a finale

by Anonymousreply 47May 23, 2018 4:31 PM

Oh yeah -. that hilarious scene where the dad is trying not to panic when he thinks Brad is ready to come out to him.

by Anonymousreply 48May 23, 2018 4:32 PM

Neil, Patty, Brock, Jen, and some drag queens.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49May 23, 2018 5:12 PM

Jen, Brock, and Charlie on "Patricia Heaton Parties." (Eden was also on this episode.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50May 23, 2018 5:14 PM

I need more photos of Charlie in his underwear.

by Anonymousreply 51May 23, 2018 5:15 PM

[quote]Obama's legacy is Russia!

You ain't seen nothing yet.

by Anonymousreply 52May 23, 2018 5:15 PM

I think Heaton's next show should be us watching her reactions as she sees live abortions happening.

by Anonymousreply 53May 23, 2018 5:20 PM

Oh, grow up.

by Anonymousreply 54May 23, 2018 5:23 PM

r48, that wasn't necessarily a homophobic moment. That dad was always avoiding any type of emotional encounter with anyone.

I would call the show pro-gay. Like was mentioned above, the Brad character started off as a device, a non-threatening boyfriend for Sue. But the joke turned into a story arc, as Brad came out and remained part of the show.

by Anonymousreply 55May 23, 2018 5:27 PM

Exactly, Brad wasn't Mike's son and he even advised him it might be better to talk to someone else, hardly a panic situation. Some of you really are looking to be offended. If you want sweet, watch the scene where Brad comes out to Sue -- though she already knows, of course. I love that they didn't make him a joke -- and even when they did, like when he suddenly appears at the climax of "Fame" where the Wrestlerettes triumph, it was oddly moving.

They even had Axl handle Brad well. In any case, Heaton sure as hell didn't get in the way. Pro life, maybe, but not a tyrant.

by Anonymousreply 56May 23, 2018 6:48 PM

(P.S. Mike even advises Brad to be himself, which gets Mike in trouble when Brad breaks up with Sue -- the real advice he was seeking. Yeah, I know the show well...)

by Anonymousreply 57May 23, 2018 6:50 PM

One last thing: I loved Axl's tossed off remark when dating Brad and Sue were speculating to her father about what their kids would look like. "Depends on what country they adopt them from, right, Dad?" That was a perfect Axl way of acknowledging (for the first time, I think) that he had Brad figured out -- yet not too mean either. I loved Charlie on the show.

by Anonymousreply 58May 23, 2018 7:06 PM

Hey r19 r13 here. If it turns out that was Brad's husband, so much the better. Meanwhile, what the hell is YOUR problem?

I thought it a sweet moment so please, just get over yourself, Della.

by Anonymousreply 59May 23, 2018 9:32 PM

I can't believe I actually gasped when they dropped the snow globe. I hung my head in shame for thirty seconds.

by Anonymousreply 60May 23, 2018 9:54 PM

Who dropped the snowglobe?

by Anonymousreply 61May 23, 2018 10:01 PM

No Darrin on the finale???

by Anonymousreply 62May 23, 2018 10:24 PM

No, Darrin has been gone for a while, right? I loved Mike's response to Darrin and how old he looked, too old to be dating Sue: "I miss Brad."

by Anonymousreply 63May 23, 2018 10:43 PM

It’s weird that Sue fucked both of her older brothers best friends to me.

by Anonymousreply 64May 23, 2018 11:43 PM

R60 you're not alone. And I'm embarrassed to admit I actually clutched my chest.

by Anonymousreply 65May 23, 2018 11:51 PM

Heaton's politics aside, I liked this show. I don't think she used it as a platform at all. In fact, politics was never brought in that I can recall because I would not have watched it. The kids were more normal than the usual sitcom kids and I thought the Frankie character was much nicer than Debra Romano, who was kind of a bitchy snot nose. To the poster who turned this into a rant against Obama policies, get your head out of your bigoted ass and educate yourself.

by Anonymousreply 66May 24, 2018 12:16 AM

Mr. Ehlert (Brian Doyle-Murray), Bob (Chris Kattan) and Dr. Goodwin (Jack McBrayer) weren't in the finale either. But at least we got Rev. Tim-Tom.

by Anonymousreply 67May 24, 2018 12:39 AM

Had they already dealt with the death of Jerry Van Dyke?-he played Frankie's dad :(

by Anonymousreply 68May 24, 2018 1:09 AM

And no Marsha Mason, John Cullum, Molly Shannon, or Norm McDonald at the wedding.

by Anonymousreply 69May 24, 2018 1:15 AM

Great show. Haters can go fuck themselves.

by Anonymousreply 70May 24, 2018 1:26 AM

I saw so much of myself in that show. I’m going to miss it.

by Anonymousreply 71May 24, 2018 2:01 AM

I really hope there is a Sue & Brad spin-off!

by Anonymousreply 72May 24, 2018 2:25 AM

Closest to my family probably of any show on TV. I was Axl, had a Sue AND a Brick (but, granted, one more that came later).

Axl really was adorable and that's what got me to tune in originally -- accidentally flipping by that first season when he was always running around in boxers. But Neil/Mike was pretty hot too. Because he was so tall and Frankie so short, the camera often had to frame him from the waist down in her reverse shots -- and he had a great butt and perfect long legs. Just an extra little bonus for us fans.

by Anonymousreply 73May 24, 2018 2:57 AM

I miss Darrin (John Gammon). I could fuck him forever.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74May 24, 2018 5:30 AM

Sorry, Charlie McDermott is not hot. You gays panting after shirtless Axl are sad.

I liked this show, most of the time, but I get annoyed reading how “real” it is and how much it represents Americans. Both parents had good jobs. So why would they live with a hole in their bedroom wall? Or with horrendous wallpaper tears? Or with a broken dishwasher and bad plumbing?

Why have webbed lawn chairs as replacements for dining room chairs? Why drive 15 year old cars? Just what did the Hecks DO with their money?

The way they lived never made sense to me.

by Anonymousreply 75May 24, 2018 5:46 AM

r75 They had two kids in college at the same time.

by Anonymousreply 76May 24, 2018 5:50 AM

I am a HUGE fan of The Middle and I don't watch any tv sitcoms. I loved last night's episode. There were so many jokes which rewarded longtime viewers.

Plus some great new scenes.

Brad hugging Axl was perfection.

More Axl in his underwear.

The nighttime scene in the back seat with the 3 siblings.

The deliciously bitchy Mrs. Donahue comment "Look they are already fighting."

Brick becoming an author!!!

And yes, I gasped too when the snow globe dropped.

Neil Finn has never married, he is 57, he also has been the only one to have a new sitcom pilot lined up already!

However it was that Donahue kid who always pinged to me. In fact, he had more onscreen chemistry with Charlie McDermott, but last night he and Sue were fantastic together. (And yes, I will admit Sue annoyed me in more than a few episodes)

Oh and the show did deal with politics once. Remember when Axl asked his parents who they were voting for, now that he could vote, and they both looked guilty as hell since they obviously never voted - making them very typical.

The show left at the right time, but damn I will miss this show!

by Anonymousreply 77May 24, 2018 5:54 AM

Oh r75, you must always have been very lucky and very comfortable, otherwise you could never have written that last sentence.

by Anonymousreply 78May 24, 2018 5:58 AM

R28 Charlie McDermott was 19 when the show began. What's with your "pedophile" bullshit ? Stand up and share with the rest of the class just what you think the word means. Go ahead.

by Anonymousreply 79May 24, 2018 11:02 AM

No love for Weird Ashley? I'm happy she and Axl had a final scene. The comments about the way they lived. That was one thing that was a little off. Like {75} said both parents worked, but they couldn't pay the electric bill? And Axl had a scholarship and both kids worked part time jobs, so the constant living on the edge was a bit of a stretch. But it didn't really matter, I still loved the show.

by Anonymousreply 80May 24, 2018 11:58 AM

R80, it is more real than you know.

by Anonymousreply 81May 24, 2018 12:10 PM

McDermott is one of those actors whose looks vary from image to image. In some he's quite sexy, in others he's just a very skinny, not all that attractive guy. Plus his hair usually is his major fault. The guy really needs a good up to date cut.

But poor Atticus. He suffers from type four osteogenesis imperfecta, a condition involving a defect in type 1 collagen, which causes fragile bones. He was cute as a button when he was young, but he has since become a little frightening looking in the face.

Eden Sher is perfection. She just made me laugh every time she opened her mouth.

And I've always had a soft spot for Neil Flynn. He's been great in every role I've seen him in. Love him as the devious maintenance man in Scrubs. Plus he's a hot daddy!

by Anonymousreply 82May 24, 2018 12:23 PM

Liked the finale but would have loved to have seen Darren again. His character never really got his due. After he and Sue broke up he disappeared. He was still friends with Axel but he never got mentioned. Also would have liked to see the other Wrestleretts and the two cheerleader girls again. This show had so many wonderful supporting characters.

by Anonymousreply 83May 24, 2018 12:26 PM

Weird Ashley indeed made an appearance and it was a good one,. She cast a spell on Axel.

by Anonymousreply 84May 24, 2018 4:46 PM

[quote]Neil Finn has never married, he is 57, he also has been the only one to have a new sitcom pilot lined up already!

Flynn, not Finn.

by Anonymousreply 85May 24, 2018 5:06 PM

Neil Flynn went straight from "Scrubs" to "The Middle," and now he's in the new fall series "Abby's," so he'll have 17 straight seasons of being a regular on a sitcom.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 86May 24, 2018 5:07 PM

I hesitate to mention it, but Flynn always seemed just a little removed from the show. Just a tiny bit uncommitted. Maybe that's just his acting style, maybe a reflection of his character. A little looking-at-his-watch thing going on.

Did anyone else sense this?

by Anonymousreply 87May 24, 2018 5:09 PM

[quote]However it was that Donahue kid who always pinged to me.

Beau Wirick (Sean) and Daniela Bobadilla (Lexie) are getting married in July. Here's their registry information if you'd care to purchase a gift for the happy couple.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 88May 24, 2018 5:09 PM

r86 Looks like he's just playing Mike again.

by Anonymousreply 89May 24, 2018 5:32 PM

R87 I noticed that too, mostly as the seasons went on. Maybe he knew it was a paycheck without any heavy lifting and just did what he had to to keep his job.

by Anonymousreply 90May 24, 2018 6:40 PM

r80

I was sorta sad that Axl didn't end up with Ashley

by Anonymousreply 91May 24, 2018 11:57 PM

[quote] I hesitate to mention it, but Flynn always seemed just a little removed from the show. Just a tiny bit uncommitted. Maybe that's just his acting style, maybe a reflection of his character. A little looking-at-his-watch thing going on. Did anyone else sense this?

That was who Mike was. He barely wanted to leave the couch. He didn't want to interact with the family, was uncomfortable when his crew gave gave him a going away party. Mike was just uncomfortable in life. You do realize that Flynn is an actor and he doesn't just wing it and if the producer or director thought he was just phoning it in they would intercede.

by Anonymousreply 92May 25, 2018 1:45 AM

Axl earning a football scholarship at 120 pounds soaking wet is such a joke

by Anonymousreply 93May 25, 2018 2:37 AM

OMG! The leads look like grandparents now.

by Anonymousreply 94May 25, 2018 5:45 PM

Patricia Heaton looks fat.

by Anonymousreply 95May 25, 2018 7:08 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 96May 31, 2018 4:10 PM

Whenever I see that small kid I can't help but think about "Don't Look Now."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 97May 31, 2018 4:21 PM

R93: He's not 120 pounds.

R95: How dare you?

by Anonymousreply 98May 31, 2018 4:49 PM

Maybe thanks to Roseanne, Sue Sue Heck will have her own show? I will miss the rest of the family, Sue may be too much on her own but I would definitely check it out.

by Anonymousreply 99May 31, 2018 5:41 PM

Lol at that cunt’s face.

Many years ago, she was on a talk show and the host “surprised” her by showing a boudoir photo of her that they’d “somehow” gotten a hold of. She pretended to be all surprised and embarrassed that this sexy photo was being shown to all and sundry. Bitch please.

by Anonymousreply 100May 31, 2018 6:10 PM

R99 what are they going to base it around her at college still?

by Anonymousreply 101May 31, 2018 6:13 PM

[quote]Sue Heck may be coming back to ABC.

I KNEW IT. I said that night, she should have her show and set at the hotel she ends up running and all the stuff she has to contend with.

by Anonymousreply 102May 31, 2018 6:15 PM

I'd watch a show about Sue. Maybe cameos from the famoly would be okay. They'd have to show up at some point because they all (except Axel) live in the same little town.

Also, maybe we'll see more of Brad and his dating life. I missed a few episodes, what exactly happened with the Brad character?

by Anonymousreply 103May 31, 2018 6:26 PM

The Glossners were missing from the finale as well

by Anonymousreply 104May 31, 2018 6:45 PM

r103 Brad had a boyfriend (or partner or husband?) with him at Sue's wedding in the finale. (And a fabulous raspberry pink suit.)

by Anonymousreply 105May 31, 2018 7:03 PM

A lot of folks like the Glossners were featured heavily in their own episodes along the way of the final season. I thought that was a good way to handle it -- and keep the finale more about the central family.

by Anonymousreply 106May 31, 2018 7:48 PM

I saw the finale, r105. I meant was he in school, was he working, did he have a bf? Thank you for your answer.

by Anonymousreply 107May 31, 2018 8:02 PM

They didn't say how far into the future the wedding was, though nobody looked too much older (as opposed to Brick with a beard and Axel with three boys and a pregnant Lexie wife). Last we saw lots of Brad, he had gone to NYC, left in defeat and was living with Sue in the college town and dating gay friends of that rocker Sue was dating half-heartedly. Right?

by Anonymousreply 108May 31, 2018 8:09 PM

[quote]The Glossners were missing from the finale as well

Rita Glossener practically had her own episode when Frankie chased her into the woods on Halloween.

by Anonymousreply 109May 31, 2018 9:48 PM

Court and Deb were gold, R83. The point of view from their pretty young bubble was hilarious. And the wrestlerettes including weird Ashley. Love the show for the many entertaining recurring characters- one of its strengths for me.

by Anonymousreply 110May 31, 2018 10:47 PM

I would have liked to have seen Rita Glossner, but they did give her a solid final appearance and a wrap-up to her story.

I liked Janitor on Scrubs. His random, made-up stories about his life and past were delivered humorously. I hope Flynn's next role is more like Janitor.

by Anonymousreply 111May 31, 2018 10:50 PM

Yes, loved it OP. Very nice touches for all the characters. They kept the tone of the show to the dnd.

by Anonymousreply 112May 31, 2018 11:14 PM

I have a nice photo of Axl on his stomach, hairy thighs. I am computer illiterate, how can I post a photo here? Sorry, can someone 'plain?

by Anonymousreply 113June 1, 2018 12:22 AM

Axl is a hot piece of ass.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 114June 1, 2018 8:34 AM

These characters worked in an ensemble in small doses, too much shrill Sue would be irritating. Wish they would have just kept the series on for another season.

by Anonymousreply 115June 1, 2018 8:38 AM

Eden Sher explicitly said in an interview, post The Middle, that while she would love to do another series, and loves and is grateful for Sue, she is done playing her. I'm sure she is, after nine years, and she's getting residuals from the show now, so I'm sure she'll be looking for something different.

by Anonymousreply 116June 1, 2018 5:43 PM

Best of luck to her, but I sense she is fated for wacky sitcom star purgatory

by Anonymousreply 117June 1, 2018 5:52 PM

r116

they all say that

by Anonymousreply 118June 1, 2018 9:23 PM

[quote]Best of luck to her, but I sense she is fated for wacky sitcom star purgatory

After a few Hallmark Christmas movies, she'll be desperate for another series.

by Anonymousreply 119June 1, 2018 10:19 PM

The Glossners really only were featured in one episode a season. I really admire Brooke Shields for putting everything into that role.

I never understood DLs fascination with Charlie. He's very AWG.

I always enjoyed the show, but it was never must see. I really could have done without the whimsical aspects, but I know that was part of the core of the show. Still, minus that whimsy, it's the closet thing we've had to Roseanne since season 6 of the original.

Patty Heaton was insufferable during the Terri Shiavo thing, but at least she is very consistent in her views. IIRC she is very Catholic. She was very notably against Trump.

by Anonymousreply 120June 1, 2018 10:36 PM

I'll bet if ABC had the foresight that almost everyone else in the world had and knew Roseanne would self-destruct they would have given The Middle another season at least.

Sue was always my favorite character but I don't think I could take a whole show about her.

Brick I loved as a little kid, but as he aged he just got creepy, including his voice. I know the kid is sick and can't help it, but still...

I was never that into Axl.

by Anonymousreply 121June 1, 2018 10:55 PM

Axl, as a character, was near loathsome sometimes. But I did enjoy the first season where he was always in his underwear.

by Anonymousreply 122June 1, 2018 11:01 PM

The producers have said that ABC wanted them to come back, but they declined. Fun fact - modern family only outrated The Middle by .16 in adults this season, by far their closest placing ever.

by Anonymousreply 123June 1, 2018 11:33 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 124June 2, 2018 12:55 AM

Maybe they can just slot Eden Sher into Modern Family. She could play Cameron’s long lost cousin. Or a suddenly much older and Caucasian Lily. Or Luke after his transition.

by Anonymousreply 125June 2, 2018 1:10 AM

R105: Fabulous? That suit was too much for Liberace!

by Anonymousreply 126June 2, 2018 1:13 AM

R114: Yes!

by Anonymousreply 127June 2, 2018 1:34 AM

J'adore Brad.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 128June 2, 2018 5:08 PM

Brad's suit.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 129June 2, 2018 5:10 PM

The actor who plays Brick, Atticus Shaffer, is only 4'7" because of his brittle bone disease.

It is always a mistake to cast a child with a deformity for his cuteness in a sitcom if you're not going to acknowledge his deformity. it will always catch up with the show eventually

by Anonymousreply 130June 2, 2018 5:14 PM

It seems to me the fact brick became even more odd in appearance and sound served the character well

by Anonymousreply 131June 2, 2018 6:42 PM

R114 Correction - WAS a hot piece of ass. In the finale, his body was getting soft and doughy.

by Anonymousreply 132June 2, 2018 6:56 PM

Yeah, I think it's great what happened to Atticus. Imagine having a son like that with that awful disease -- and he wants to be an actor. Around all those cute perfect kids. And he's the one who makes it. Good for him and his folks, especially if he ends up not being on the planet much longer (I don't know much about that disease though).

Seems like a sweet kid too.

by Anonymousreply 133June 2, 2018 7:47 PM

[quote]It is always a mistake to cast a child with a deformity for his cuteness in a sitcom if you're not going to acknowledge his deformity. it will always catch up with the show eventually

Shut up.....(whisper) shut up.

by Anonymousreply 134June 4, 2018 12:25 AM

Yes, they said nothing about it on the show, yet he was two feet shorter than other kids his age and obviously had trouble moving around.

by Anonymousreply 135June 4, 2018 12:29 AM

Was brick ever harassed by the other students for having issues?

by Anonymousreply 136June 4, 2018 2:48 AM

He had that one big football player friend in his Font Club that kind of insured he was left alone -- but, though he had few friends, he wasn't bullied much. Which, actually, didn't feel wrong. Most guys, even at that age, wouldn't pick on an obvious cripple.

by Anonymousreply 137June 4, 2018 4:53 AM

(Axel as his big brother probably helped too in terms of bullying).

by Anonymousreply 138June 4, 2018 4:53 AM

[quote]Most guys, even at that age, wouldn't pick on an obvious cripple.

I would and did!

by Anonymousreply 139June 4, 2018 1:36 PM

I'm coming in late with this, but the finale was sort of meh for me. I actually think it could have done without the 'what happened to them' scenarios at the end. Yes, seeing Brad's suit was fun, but I found it all sort of corny and cutesy and forced/tacked on. Btw, Sean never even acknowledged Axl. They're supposed to be bros! I think it would have been better to get Sean and Sue together earlier in the season, and then bring back Darrin for an episode, for emotional complications to result. Did John Gammon leave acting? Or fall off the face of the Earth?

Let us view this one last time:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 140June 5, 2018 6:33 AM

R140 John Gammon was so hot!

by Anonymousreply 141June 5, 2018 10:15 AM

He played dumb well.

by Anonymousreply 142June 6, 2018 4:17 PM

"He looks like he's thirty. I miss Brad!"

by Anonymousreply 143June 6, 2018 6:31 PM

Soon the series will be all over in syndication.

by Anonymousreply 144June 7, 2018 11:46 PM

r144, It already has been, for a while! The Hallmark Channel, 9:00 p.m.--11:00 p.m. (4 episodes) nightly.

by Anonymousreply 145June 8, 2018 12:11 AM

It’s also on freeform in the afternoons

by Anonymousreply 146June 8, 2018 12:13 AM

One of my johns is really into this show and everybody loves raymond for some reason, he’s from Michigan ,so maybe that’s why.

by Anonymousreply 147June 8, 2018 12:49 AM

Maybe he has a Patty Heaton fetish

by Anonymousreply 148June 8, 2018 12:53 AM

Much batter than Modern Family

by Anonymousreply 149June 8, 2018 12:57 AM

Mmm Axl’s batter.

by Anonymousreply 150June 8, 2018 1:32 AM

r147 Neither of those shows has anything to do with Michigan.

"The Middle" is set in Indiana.

"Raymond" is set on Long Island.

by Anonymousreply 151June 8, 2018 2:28 AM

I agree with you, r140. They should have abandoned the 'and here's what happened next' aspect when they saw how ridiculous Brick looked in a suit and beard.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 152June 9, 2018 5:07 AM

You do realize R152, with his condition, that's EXACTLY what Atticus will look like, don't you?

by Anonymousreply 153June 9, 2018 10:36 AM

Reminiscent of his penchant for obscure Halloween moments

by Anonymousreply 154June 9, 2018 9:33 PM

Tears

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 155June 9, 2018 10:57 PM

The Sue Sue Heck spinoff was rejected by ABC but they are shopping it around though I doubt there will be takers

by Anonymousreply 156November 24, 2018 3:17 AM

I noticed Eden Sher had a pretty nothing guest part on SuperStore recently, playing a variation of Sue Heck. Sad.

by Anonymousreply 157November 24, 2018 5:01 AM

Superstore sucks so bad how is it still on the air.

by Anonymousreply 158November 24, 2018 5:15 AM

I didn't like the idea of having Sue be single after they already showed at the end of The Middle she got married. I was sad to see the show end but now that it has let it go, except for like somebody mentioned above maybe a tv special once in awhile but of how the characters are now. Plus Sue was better off as part of an ensemble in small doses.

by Anonymousreply 159November 24, 2018 6:51 AM

Article about non-pickup of series

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 160November 24, 2018 7:23 AM

I miss tight little Axl.

by Anonymousreply 161November 24, 2018 11:54 AM

R159 you are 100% spot-on about small doses of Sue.

by Anonymousreply 162November 29, 2018 4:36 AM

"The Middle" had a pretty damn near perfect finale. They can't fuck it up with a new series. If they do, Sue and Shaun have to still be married at least. Maybe have a Little Sue.

by Anonymousreply 163November 29, 2018 7:30 PM

Awwww ... I was hoping for more Brad!

by Anonymousreply 164November 29, 2018 11:01 PM

"Brick" (Atticus Shaffer) is starring in a new (non-Hallmark) Christmas movie!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 165November 29, 2018 11:02 PM

Sue(Eden) really was THE reason to watch this show during its first seasons (well, Axl/Charlie was quite the looker during the early seasons as well). Patricia did a great job and I liked her far better on this series than Raymond (I was never a fan of that show). Brad was perfect - his are the most memorable moments with Sue and almost always hilarious. Darrin had the butt of the statue of David. What a HOT man! Sue was perfect in high school with Brad, the Wrestlerettes, Weird Ashley, Court and Deb, etc. I loved the old folks on the show as well - particularly on the holiday episodes.

Sadly, for me the entire show declined the moment that Sue cut her hair short and went to college. Her personality changed for the boring and the new college characters just couldn't carry the show any longer. Axl's college friends were even worse than Sue's and Charlie lost his heat as he aged (not unattractive, just no longer something special). So I do miss the series, but primarily stick to the first 6 seasons when I watch it in syndication. Has anyone ever noticed that The Goldbergs utilizes a huge amount of the actors who played bit parts on The Middle? Just an observation.

by Anonymousreply 166July 19, 2019 6:49 AM

I loved the show for many reasons. But it always came back to shirtless Axl.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 167July 19, 2019 7:17 AM

The show was always about us. Middle America. Poor folks trying to make it with our kids.

by Anonymousreply 168July 19, 2019 7:22 AM

R168 Where do you fucking think you are, ya mad cunt?

by Anonymousreply 169July 19, 2019 7:38 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!