Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

'Vida' TV Series on Starz

Starring Mishel Prada and Melissa Barrera. Created by Tanya Saracho (How To Get Away With Murder, Devious Maids).

[quote]The show follows the life of two Mexican-American sisters, Emma and Lyn, from the Eastside of Los Angeles who couldn't be more different or distanced from each other. Circumstances force them to return to their old neighborhood, where they are confronted by the past and shocking truth about their mother's identity.

Six 30-minute episodes. Latinx identity issues, strong lesbian (generational) themes, grief, gentrification, predatory loans. Doesn't deal with immigration, which some critics hated but I found refreshing. No heavy stuff and it's pretty steamy so makes for a nice light summer viewing. Lots of untranslated Spanish and Spanglish peppered throughout so it's very immersive.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35June 14, 2019 7:43 PM

Trailer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1May 21, 2018 2:32 PM

Carlos Miranda is so gorgeous I can barely focus on the dialogue. He shows his pancake ass in all three episodes that have aired so far. Smoothest butt I've ever seen. What's his secret, I wonder?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2May 21, 2018 2:33 PM

Jackson Davis gets his ass eaten and fingered in the first episode.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3May 21, 2018 2:33 PM

Delightful.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4May 21, 2018 2:33 PM

A lesbian sex scene so hot it made my mouth water.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5May 21, 2018 2:34 PM

Ramses Jimenez, who plays a charming douche, is one hot fucker as well. Those lips up close are [italic]everything.[/italic]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6May 21, 2018 2:35 PM

I'm craving an opinion about this show from Latino and Latina DLers. When the first episode finished airing, I felt half an hour was the perfect length but now I think it's not enough and I find myself wanting to spend [italic]way[/italic] more time with them.

Aside from the colourful world, don't you just love narratives where the characters turn a business around?

by Anonymousreply 7May 21, 2018 2:42 PM

Gods, if every auto mechanic looked like this...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8May 21, 2018 2:47 PM

R6 mmmmm yas

by Anonymousreply 9May 21, 2018 5:12 PM

Another great episode. Again, I could watch a full hour of scripted drama every week with just people troubleshooting their business and trying to improve it. Such a satisfying feeling that gives me for some reason.

Lesbian drama (in a good way), with some awful revelations. Plus, two contrasting parties and a bus ride home that conveyed more than a thousand words. I'm from the projects and I've been in the exact same situation plenty of times. Emotions, emotions everywhere.

Emma totally fainted because she's not used to intimacy during her hookups, correct? Dear god, when she put the fingers in her mouth... one of the most erotic things I've ever seen on TV.

I'm so glad Ramses Jimenez's character ended up not being a douche and he's actually a decent guy. What a rollercoaster ride that was.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10May 27, 2018 5:35 PM

Oh, and does anyone know what kind of a drug the name "Diego" stands for? The bartender says Dirty Frida contains tequila, orange mist and... Diego (with a wink). Is it peyote? Is that legal to serve in a bar?

by Anonymousreply 11May 27, 2018 5:40 PM

“Vida!!! Give me that check! I said GIVE IT TO ME!!!”

by Anonymousreply 12May 27, 2018 5:53 PM

"Is it peyote? Is that legal to serve in a bar?"

Yes, darling. I've had many a Peyote Fizz whilst munching on the nachos at the local taqueria. So nummy! So effervescent!

In the meantime, when are some hot latin gay guys going to be shown having sex?

Don't be timid, Vida producers. You're doing a great job so far!

by Anonymousreply 13June 3, 2018 4:58 AM

Thanks OP I'm going to check this out

by Anonymousreply 14June 3, 2018 5:08 AM

I forgot to mention, always add a slice of citrus when you order a Peyote Fizz. Especially when you're getting it from 7-11. Yes, it says "juice from lime and lime extract" on the bottle. But it's just not the same. I heard that over at La Loqueria they add maraschino cherries but who would want to drink such a chingada?

by Anonymousreply 15June 3, 2018 6:19 AM

Another lesbionic series but no GAY MALES, hard pass.

by Anonymousreply 16June 3, 2018 4:05 PM

Best episode yet. Oh, how I love watching conflict play out inside marginalized communities (Latinos at various levels of acculturation, women belonging to different classes, different kinds of lesbians) without any interference from the straight white guy. The singing at the end was a salve for my soul. What was that yellow and red drink that Mari's friend was drinking? Seemed like the unhealthiest shit ever, but at the same time also something that the Aztec gods of old would imbibe. Speaking of deities...

Carlos Miranda is a work of art. Imagine him plopping you onto his lap, staring lovingly into your eyes, and telling you "No back-and-forth thing, baby. All-in." I just about melted.

r16 There were gay guys in this and the last episode, but it's hard to explore secondary characters in a 30-minute episode in a six-episode season. Also, this is the first season so it could have come across as trying too hard to tick all the boxes. And I say that as a gay guy who constantly bitches in The Expanse thread about there being no gay guys in the three seasons of that show. However, I expect the showrunner to do something with a gay male character next season and I'll be disappointed if that doesn't happen.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17June 3, 2018 5:12 PM

The drink in question. I think there were pineapples in that?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18June 3, 2018 5:13 PM

I just watched the 5 first episodes. I loved it. I can't wait for next week.

by Anonymousreply 19June 4, 2018 6:07 AM

Great show!

And the guy who plays Johnny and the girl who plays Lyn are the most beautiful humans on earth.

by Anonymousreply 20June 4, 2018 6:15 AM

r20 They really are. But it made me laugh how she probably paid her sister's fine with that stolen credit card. Emma is going to go ballistic in the finale tomorrow if she finds out. And I'm kinda terrified of her ever since I've seen her having sex; she's such an alpha I'd be afraid of pissing her off in any way.

This show really needs at least ten episodes next season if it gets renewed. I want to get lost in their world completely.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21June 9, 2018 5:51 PM

The showrunner was saying how they took great care to light the brown skin just right, and it really shows. Such a gorgeous-looking show.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22June 9, 2018 5:52 PM

Renewed!

[quote]The series is certified fresh with a 100 percent rating among critics on RottenTomatoes.com. Since its premiere, Vida has grown 171 percent to earn the largest Hispanic audience composition for a premium series this year.

[quote]"Vida has delivered on its promise of attracting a young, new Latinx audience to the Starz platform, as we had hoped it would, and we are pleased to be able to announce a second season of the series,” Starz CEO Chris Albrecht said Tuesday in a statement. “With these new episodes, Tanya and her team now have the opportunity to take audiences even deeper into the lives and community of the Hernandez sisters, and we look forward to bringing the next chapter of their story to life.”

Loved the last episode and the whole season, so this makes me very happy. The dreamy Carlos Miranda better return next year!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23June 13, 2018 6:20 PM

sounds dreadful

by Anonymousreply 24June 13, 2018 7:18 PM

Once again a series with lesbos and ZERO gay men. PASS.

by Anonymousreply 25June 13, 2018 7:27 PM

We heard you the first time, r16 / r25.

r24 Nope, it's excellent.

by Anonymousreply 26June 13, 2018 7:52 PM

Second season trailer. I heard it's even better and sexier than the first. All episodes are out today.

[quote]The premium cable outlet will release all 10 episodes of the critically acclaimed half-hour drama to binge-inclined viewers on demand and via the Starz app in the United States and Canada and StarzPlay in the U.K. and Germany, on Thursday, May 23. Vida will also air weekly on Starz starting May 26. [THR]

Interesting experiment to make it available both as a binge and in weekly portions. Hope it pays off in some way.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27May 23, 2019 11:16 AM

Second season opening scene dong.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28May 23, 2019 12:35 PM

R5 Lol I honestly didn’t know there were anybody attracted to women on datalounge.

by Anonymousreply 29June 5, 2019 7:09 AM

I just watched the first season and it actually really good. I like the struggles that the characters went through and how there weren’t any easy solution. It wasn’t magically cleared up with some family bullshit. I found the guys they showed us were really hot and really appreciated their embrace of male nudity. While I do wish there were some gay action I realize that the core of the story is focused on the 2 sisters who are not gay males and is a show about womanhood and female sexuality. I guess I’m just going to have to rely on the male nudity and the straight scenes that shows off the guys ass lol. All in all a very good show.

by Anonymousreply 30June 5, 2019 3:31 PM

I watched the first episode of the second season. What a graphic orgy scene! Do straight people really have those?

by Anonymousreply 31June 5, 2019 4:48 PM

I love this show. Eddy hobbling to the closet trying to smell her wife's scent broke me. So sad.

The lesbian sex scene with the vibrator was sizzling.

And they've now gone and added Raul Castillo? Thank you!

by Anonymousreply 32June 5, 2019 6:54 PM

I was confused this week by Emma learning about her sister's huge credit card debt.

#1 What did her sister spend $14K on?

#2 Was Emma so upset because her sister used her credit card? How did her sister get access to the card anyway?

by Anonymousreply 33June 12, 2019 2:25 PM

VIDA- Isn't that Mildred Pierce's daughter?

by Anonymousreply 34June 12, 2019 2:42 PM

[quote]What did her sister spend $14K on?

Miscellaneous shit, as far as I understood. Designer clothes, mainly.

[quote]Was Emma so upset because her sister used her credit card? How did her sister get access to the card anyway?

No, Emma did give her sister her credit card at the start of the second season and she did look mighty tempted, but I think she was able to control herself. I think Emma was so upset because the debtors are going to come after their inheritance. Or maybe their mom helped the sister out with her debt and now the whole business is up for grabs?

by Anonymousreply 35June 14, 2019 7:43 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!